History of Taylor County, Iowa: from the earliest historic times to 1910 by  Frank E. Crosson. Chicago, The S.J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910
(biographicals transcribed by Linda Kestner: lfkestner3@msn.com)
Page 416
Elmer Derrickson is one of the prosperous and progressive farmers of Ross township, who gives his time and attention in a most practical manner to the further development and improvement of a farm of forty acres, which he owns, and also operates a rented farm of one hundred and fifty acres on section 9.  His record has been such that Taylor county is proud to number him among her native sons.  His birth occurred within her borders January 29, 1870, his parents being Mr. and Mrs. K. E. Derrickson.  The father, a native of Indiana, was born in Shelby county, was there reared and after arriving at man's estate wedded Miss Mary C. John, who was also born in Indiana.  Mr. Derrickson followed farming in Shelby county for a number of years but, thinking that he would have still better opportunities west of the Mississippi he came to Iowa soon after the Civil war.  He had served his country for four years as a soldier of the Union army, being numbered among the boys in blue of the Fifty-second Regiment of Indiana Volunteers.  He made a creditable record as a soldier, never faltering in the performance of duty whether on the firing line or the lonely picket line.  It was after the war that he was married and subsequently (page 417) he removed to Iowa where he opened up a new farm in Ross township.  As he found opportunity and his financial condition permitted he bought more land and continued successfully to till the soil for a number of years until 1906 when he rented his farm and removed to Bedford where he is now living retired in the enjoyment of well-earned rest.
Elmer Derrickson, whose name introduces this record was reared upon the old homestead in Ross township and at the usual age was sent to the common schools, wherein he mastered the common branches of English learning and thus equipped himself for the practical duties of life.  He was married in Maryville, Nodaway county, Missouri, in June 1894, to Miss Maud E. Campbell, who was born in the county and is a daughter of G. M. Campbell, who was a veteran of the Civil war and is now living retired in Maryville.  Mrs. Derrickson was reared in her native county and was carefully trained in the duties of the household so that she was well qualified to take charge of a home of her own at the time of her marriage.  Four children graced this union: Pearl, Rema, Harry and Marvin.
Following his marriage Mr. Derrickson located on a farm in Ross township and began to cultivate his fields and further improve the property.  He lived there for some time and then sold it, after which he bought another farm.  He has owned and cultivated four different farms in Ross township and in connection with tilling the soil he raises and feeds stock, handling both hogs and cattle of high grades.  He always keeps his buildings in a state of good repair and he erected the present large barn on his place.  A spirit of neatness and thrift pervades the farm and everything about it is indicative of the careful supervision of an owner who is practical in his methods and progressive in his spirit.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Derrickson are members of the Christian church, belonging to Berea chapel.  His political endorsement is given to the republican party at the polls but he would never consent to hold office save in connection with the schools, the cause of education finding in him a warm and stalwart champion.  He has seen the county develop from pioneer conditions for he became a resident of this part of the state when it was a frontier district and has ridden all over the open prairie with no fences or habitations to impede his progress.  As the years have gone by wonderful changes have occurred and he has at all times been greatly interested in the work of general development and improvement and in many ways has cooperated in the various measures for the general good.