History of Taylor County, Iowa: from the earliest historic times to 1910 by  Frank E. Crosson. Chicago, The S.J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910
(transcribed by Linda Kestner: lfkestner3@msn.com)
Page 349
That Taylor county is an attractive place of residence, that her advantages are equal to those offered in other sections of the country and that her opportunities are yet many are points which are all indicated in the fact that many of her native sons yet remain within her borders, finding here good business conditions which, carefully utilized, lead to success.  Charles E. Brown is numbered among the native sons of the county and is now carefully directing his labors in the lines of agricultural activity, having a valuable farm of two hundred acres which lies on sections 1 and 12, Jackson township.  It was upon this farm that he first opened his eyes to the light of day on the 13th of June, 1873.
His father, Andrew Brown, was a native of Indiana and was a son of Elias Brown, who removed to Iowa with his family in the fall of 1854, taking up his abode on the land which is now the home of our subject.  Andrew Brown was here reared amid the wild scenes and environments of pioneer life for at (page 350) that time Taylor county was a frontier district in which the work of progress and improvement had been scarcely begun.  He continued to assist in the work of the home farm until after the outbreak of the Civil war, when he joined the Ninth Iowa Cavalry and continued at the front through the period of hostilities.  At length he inherited the old home farm and devoted his attention to general agricultural pursuits.  He was married in this county to Miss Margaret Kemery, who was born in Lee county, Iowa.  Beginning his domestic life on the old homestead he labored with untiring and indefatigable perseverance to develop the property according to the ideas of modern, progressive agriculture, carefully tilling his fields until they brought forth rich harvests, and also added substantial buildings to the place.  Upon this farm he reared his family and made it his home until called to his final rest about 1899.  His wife survives him, still residing upon the old homestead.  Their family numbered two sons, the elder being George W., who is married and is a resident farmer of Taylor county.
Charles E. Brown, the younger son, was reared in the usual manner of farm lads, aiding more and more largely in the work of the fields as his years and strength increased.  He also embraced the opportunities offered by the public schools for the acquirement of an education and as he neared manhood concentrated his energies upon the work of the farm with his father until the latter's death.  He inherited a part of the farm and now operates the entire place, which comprises two hundred acres of rich and productive land, situated on section 1 and 12, Jackson township.  With the farm he raises sheep, hogs and cattle, keeping on hand high grades of stock and thus doing much to improve the kind of stock raised in the county and to maintain high prices.  In business matters his judgment is sound and reliable and it needs no gift of prophecy to foretell for him continued success in the future.
Mr. Brown was married in Jackson township, September 30, 1897, to Miss Hattie Craig, who was born in Taylor county and is a daughter of Orten Craig, now living in Clarinda, Iowa.  Mr. and Mrs. Brown have six children: Andy L., Roxie, Bernice, Burrel, Gale and a baby boy, who are all yet at home.  They also lost a son, Charles E., who died in infancy.
The parents are both highly esteemed in the community, and the hospitality of their own home is greatly enjoyed by their many friends.  Mr. Brown is a stanch republican in politics, supporting the party since age conferred upon him the right of franchise.  He has always lived in this county, where he is recognized as a man of good business ability and as a successful and progressive farmer.