History of Taylor County, Iowa: from the earliest historic times to 1910 by  Frank E. Crosson. Chicago, The S.J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910
(biographicals transcribed by Linda Kestner: lfkestner3@msn.com)
Page 341
Andrew Hamilton, a highly respected farmer whose undaunted enterprise, determination and diligence have carried him into important relations in the agricultural interests of the county, is now living on section 12, Ross township.  He has eighty acres of land on his home place, another tract of eighty acres and in addition over three hundred acres in three well improved farms.  His work has always been carried on in a practical manner yet in accordance with the most progressive spirit of agricultural life and what he undertakes he accomplishes, so that his resolution has always been an important and essential element in his prosperity.  He has lived in Iowa since 1870 and in Taylor county since 1874, so that for thirty-six years he has been a witness of the growth and progress of this portion of the state.
Mr. Hamilton is a native of Scotland, his birth having occurred in Lanarkshire, October 22, 1850.  There he remained to the age of twenty years.  He is a brother of J. M. Hamilton who is mentioned elsewhere in this volume, and the two brothers, together with the other members of the family, spent their youthful days at the old home in the land of hills and heather.  Andrew Hamilton came to the new world in 1870 in company with a sister and at once made his way from the Atlantic seaboard to Iowa, settling first in Page county, where he joined his grandparents, who had located there four years previous.  He then purchased eighty acres where he now resides, broke the sod and opened up the farm.  There were no buildings nor improvements upon it at that time but with characteristic energy he began its development and later erected a good residence, (page 342) also two barns and the sheds necessary for further shelter of grain and stock.  There was not a stick of timber upon the place when it came into his possession, but there is now a fine grove of his own planting and also a good orchard, including the various kinds of fruit trees that are adapted to soil and climate.  Year by year he worked on steadily and persistently and as he gathered his crops and placed them on the market his financial resources increased, enabling him to make further investment in land.  He now has nearly three hundred acres which he cultivates, and he gave to his son a farm of eighty acres.  The soil is rich and productive and he annually harvests good crops and also feeds and fattens cattle and hogs.  His live-stock interests are an important source of revenue, in fact his animal sales of stock furnish him with a good income.
Mr. Hamilton has been married twice. In Taylor county in 1875 he wedded Miss Rena Moffatt, who was born in Iowa.  They traveled life's journey happily together for about twenty-three years, but were separated by the death of the wife on the 22d of September, 1898.  They became the parents of three children, of whom two are now living: Albert, a farmer of this township; and Maud, who married I. B. Coon and they had one child, who died in infancy.  A daughter of the first marriage, Treva, died at the age of twenty-one years.  In 1899 Mr. Hamilton was again married, his second union being with Miss Ida Poulton, a native of Iowa.
Politically, Mr. Hamilton is independent to the extent that he does not consider himself bound by party ties.  However, he attempts to secure good men in office and has himself filled the position of township clerk.  He has also been officially connected with the schools for several years and was overseer for more than twenty years.  He belongs to the church of Christ and its teachings constitute the guiding force in his life.  He has been a resident of Iowa for about forty years and the record which he has made throughout that entire period is such as to entitle him to the respect and confidence of his fellowmen.  He is one of the prosperous farmers, stock-raisers and business men of Ross township and a man of sterling character and worth, widely known in Bedford and throughout this part of the state.