History of Taylor County, Iowa: from the earliest historic times to 1910 by  Frank E. Crosson. Chicago, The S.J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910
(transcribed by Linda Kestner: lfkestner3@msn.com)
Page 321
S. N. Bristow, who is carrying on general farming on section 24, Clayton township, his time and energies also being devoted to the raising and feeding of stock, is numbered among the native sons of Taylor county, his birth having occurred near Bedford, April 6, 1867.  He is a son of S. P. and Nancy (Quackenbush) Bristow, (page 322) natives of Preble county, Ohio and of Indiana, respectively.  The father was reared to manhood upon a farm in his native county and in 1865, when a young man, came to Iowa, settling in Taylor county.  Here he met and married Miss Nancy Quackenbush and soon afterward he began to open up a new farm in Clayton township, being numbered among the early settlers there.  He built a brick house near Bedford, hauling the material from St. Joseph, Missouri, for there was no nearer market where brick could be secured.  The spirit of progress, enterprise and improvement characterized him in all of his work and his labors were attended with a measure of success which made him one of the prosperous and representative farmers of the community.  At length he sold the old home place and bought a farm of two hundred acres in Benton township, upon which he spent his last years, there passing away in 1889.  His wife survives him and is now a resident of Bedford.  Mr. Bristow was recognized as a man of sterling worth and his labors were not only a source of prosperity to himself but were also a factor in the substantial growth and development of the county.
S. N. Bristow is one of a family of four sons and two daughters.  Upon the home farm near Bedford he was reared, no event of special importance occurring to vary the routine of life for him in his boyhood and youth.  He early gained practical knowledge of the best methods of tilling the soil and in the acquirement of a literary education he attended the district schools and the Bedford high school.  After the death of his father he remained with his mother until twenty-two years of age and carried on the home place.  His early training now stood him to good purpose and although a young man he manifested keep discernment and business ability in managing the interests of the farm.
At length he completed his arrangements for having a home of his own by his marriage in Benton township on the 9th of February, 1898, to Miss Lillie Dopp, who was born and reared in South Dakota and was a daughter of Charles Dopp of that state.  Mr. Bristow had previously purchased eighty acres of land and at the time of his marriage took his bride to his farm, bending every energy to its development and improvement that the fields might return to him bounteous harvests which would enable him to meet all the requirements of the household.  That he was diligent and practical in his work is indicated in the fact that he was at length enabled to make investment in other land, purchasing an adjoining tract of eighty acres.  He then removed the house to its present site, built a barn, fenced his fields and has further carried on the work of improvement until his property is now a valuable and attractive one, constituting one of the pleasing features of the landscape  He has two orchards upon the place together with a good grove of trees and in addition to cultivating the corn and other crops best adapted to soil and climate, he is successfully and extensively carrying on stock raising, making a specialty of pure-blooded Duroc Jersey hogs and Percheron horses.  He has raised some fine animals, selling one yearling in 1909 for four hundred dollars and also some fine graded cattle for one hundred dollars per head.  He has a polled Angus bull at the head of his herd and also owns some fine shorthorn cows.  At different times he has sold many head of good cattle and his efforts have been effective forces in promoting the stock raising interests of the community.
(Page 323) Unto Mr. and Mrs. Bristow have been born two children: Vera and Harold D.  The parents hold membership in the Baptist church which is located on their farm and are active and helpful workers in both the church and Sunday-school.  In his political views Mr. Bristow is an earnest republican and has served as a township trustee.  He has also been a member of the school board and is interested in every measure or movement that tends to promote the best interests of the community in the lines of material, intellectual, political, social and moral advancement.  He is honored wherever known and most of all where best known, for his record is such as merits the friendship and regard of those with whom he has been brought in contact.