History of Taylor County, Iowa: from the earliest historic times to 1910 by  Frank E. Crosson. Chicago, The S.J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910
(biographicals transcribed by Linda Kestner: lfkestner3@msn.com)
Page 311
Charles H. Hunter is numbered among the numerous farmers of Gay township, where he is now serving as assessor.  He lives on section 15, where he owns a well-improved and valuable farm of eighty acres, and he also controls and operates an adjoining tract of eighty acres.  A native of Illinois, he was born near Springfield, in Sangamon county, August 10, 1874, and is a son of John Hunter and a brother of Paul Hunter, of whom mention is made elsewhere in this volume.  The father was a native of England and when a young man of eighteen years bade adieu to friends and native country and sailed for the United States, settling first in Illinois.  He was married there to Miss Mary Weir, a native of Illinois, and taking up his abode in that state Mr. Hunter was there connected with business affairs for some time.  In 1874 he arrived in Iowa and took up his abode upon the place now owned and occupied by C. H. Hunter.  The land on which he settled was wild and unimproved but he at once began using the breaking plow and soon changed the wild prairie into richly cultivated fields.  He knew, however, that to keep a farm in excellent condition, constant care and consideration of the financial side of the question were required, and he therefore labored diligently and persistently to win his prosperity.  His last years were (page 312) spent on the home place, where he died June 1, 1900.  He served for some years as township school treasurer and was a member of the township board.  His fellow-townsmen, recognizing his worth and ability, called him to several offices, the duties of which he discharged in a most prompt and creditable manner.  His wife survived him for about four years and died in 1904.
Charles H. Hunter was brought to Iowa an infant in his mother's arms and was reared to manhood under the parental roof.  The educational advantages which he received were those offered by the county schools but his opportunities were somewhat limited for his services were needed in tilling the soil.  He remained with his father in the care and development of the farm until after he had attained his majority and later succeeded to the ownership of eighty acres.  He has since erected thereon a good, neat residence, has fenced his place and is continually planning further improvements which will add to the value of the land.  In addition to his home farm he has for some years cultivated eighty acres which belong to his sisters Cora and Lillie.  The fields bring forth abundant harvests for which he finds a ready sale on the market and he also has no difficulty in disposing of the high-grade stock he raises.  He handles hogs, cattle and horses and his annual income is materially increased thereby.
On the 31st of August, 1904, Mr. Hunter was united in marriage, in Bedford, to Miss Maggie Frost, who was born in Gay township and was educated there.  She is a daughter of Newton Frost, formerly from Greene county, Pennsylvania.  Politically Mr. Hunter is a republican and has voted with the party since casting his first ballot for Major William McKinley.  He has since supported every nominee at the head of the ticket and at all times he has kept well informed on the questions and issues of the day.  He was appointed to fill out a term as township trustee in the fall of 1908 and was elected assessor and made one assessment of Gay township.  Mr. Hunter has been a resident of the county for thirty-five years, during which period he has been a witness of much of the growth and development that has occurred.  He has greatly desired the progress of the county and has therefore cooperated in measures which have had direct bearing upon its growth.