History of Taylor County, Iowa: from the earliest historic times to 1910 by  Frank E. Crosson. Chicago, The S.J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910
(biographicals transcribed by Linda Kestner: lfkestner3@msn.com)
Page 297
Frank M. Hamilton, who for a number of years was identified with the United States government interests both at Washington, D. C., and elsewhere, and was also connected with educational lines in Taylor and Page counties, this state, for a long period, is now engaged in general farming and stock raising in Polk township, Taylor county, and through his energy, industry and perseverance has won for himself a high place among the well-known and prosperous agriculturists of his community.
A native of Indiana, he was born in Lebanon on the 6th of April, 1857, a son of Colonel D. H. and Eliza (Vannice) Hamilton, both natives of Indiana,  (page 298) the former of Madison and the latter of Clinton county.  The father, however, was reared in Boone county, his native state, and enjoyed the benefits of a good education, becoming a graduate of Wabash College at Crawfordsville.  He was a lawyer and engaged in active practice of his profession in Indiana up to 1871.  He had been married in Boone county, where his children were born and reared.  In that year he removed to Taylor county, Iowa, and located on a farm in Ross township, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits for about twelve years.  At the expiration of that period he went to Creston, Iowa, where he was identified with merchandising for six years.  He then organized the Racket Merchandise Company and located for business in Kansas City.  He was elected first president of the company and remained incumbent in that office up to the time of his demise, which occurred about three years later.  He was a well-known figure in political circles in his native state and in 1867 was elected from Boone county to represent his district in the state senate.  He was also elected a member of the county board of Taylor county, Iowa, filling that position for two terms or six years.  The only interruption in his active business career came in 1862, when, in response to his country's call for troops, he enlisted from Boone county, Indiana, being elected captain of Company G, Fifty-fifth Indiana Volunteer Infantry.  His brave and valiant service, however, won him promotion and he was mustered out with the rank of Colonel of the One Hundred and Tenth Regiment.  He was well known not only in his native state but also in Iowa and Missouri and was held in high regard and esteem by all who knew him.  He passed away in 1894 in Kansas City, his remains being taken to Bedford, Iowa, for burial.  He was a Royal Arch Mason and the funeral services were conducted under the auspices of that order and of the Grand Army of the Republic.  His wife still survives, while their children who are yet living are: Frank M., of this review, and Mrs. A. H. Crawford, residing in Denver, Colorado.
Frank M. Hamilton was reared under the parental roof and was given the advantages of thorough educational training.  He attended the public schools of his native state and later became a pupil at the Presbyterian Academy at Lebanon, Indiana, while he supplemented this training by a course of study at the Wabash College of Crawfordsville.  After his graduation from that institution he entered upon the profession of teaching and was thus engaged in Taylor and Page counties, Iowa, for about twelve years.  He proved a very efficient instructor, clearly and readily imparting to others the knowledge he had himself acquired, and he did all in his power to further the interests of education during his connection with the profession.  He subsequently was offered a position in the pension bureau at Washington, D. C., at a salary of one thousand dollars per year, which position he filled acceptably for some time.  He then resigned and accepted the office of special examiner, at an advanced salary of thirteen hundred dollars per year, traveling in Missouri for about two years.  He was also located in Hannibal and St. Joseph, that state; acting in that capacity until 1903.
In that year Mr. Hamilton resigned from the government employ and came to Iowa, purchasing the farm upon which he now resides.  It consists of one hundred and twenty acres of fine farm land situated on section 11, Polk (page 299) township, Taylor county.  He has greatly improved the place since it came into his possession, erecting a comfortable and attractive residence, two substantial barns and sheds and other outbuildings for the shelter of grain and stock.  He has also set out a fine orchard of well-selected fruit trees and his fields, which are highly cultivated, return to him rich annual harvests.  He has introduced all the latest equipment and accessories for facilitating the farm work and his place presents the appearance of a model farm of the twentieth century.  In connection with his general farming he engages in stock raising, making a specialty of red polled cattle, having on hand at the present time thirty head, all high-grade stock.  He also operates a small dairy and these branches of his business are proving gratifying sources of profit to him.
On Christmas day of 1883 Mr. Hamilton was united in marriage to Miss Louisa Dresher, who was born and reared on a farm adjoining that of Mr. Hamilton.  The one child, Ross, who came to bless this union, passed away when three years of age.  Mr. Hamilton belongs to the Presbyterian church, of which his wife and mother are also members, and he is now serving as an elder of that church, being deeply and helpfully interested in the work thereof.  Fraternally he is a Master Mason, belonging to Plumb Lodge, and is also connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, having served as an officer in the Washington lodge during his residence in the capital.  In politics he has always been a stalwart republican, doing all in his power to further the interests and influence of that party, while his fellow-citizens, recognizing his loyal public spirit, have called him to various public offices.  He served as justice of the peace for two terms and was then elected assessor, serving in that capacity for four years, when he resigned.  He has been a prominent figure in party councils and has been sent as delegate to various state and county conventions.  He is a gentleman of genuine personal worth, at all times adhering to high ideas of manhood, and he has the esteem and respect of all with whom he has been associated.  As a business man he has displayed many sterling traits, not the least of which are close application, undaunted energy and unfaltering integrity.  His life has been one of continuous activity in which has been accorded due recognition of labor, and the consensus of public opinion grants him a place among the prosperous, progressive and prominent agriculturists of Polk township.