Western/Leander Clark College
Toledo, Iowa

Brief history (by Sharyl Ferrall)

Western College, founded by the United Brethren in Christ in 1857, was originally located a mile north of Shueyville, in Section 34, Putnam twp., Linn county. In 1881, due to financial problems, the college moved to Toledo, Tama co., were the residents pledged $20,000 in support. In 1906 the college was renamed after a local benefactor, Leander Clark. Despite this the financial burden became too much and the college went bankrupt. In 1919 Western, Leander Clark merged with Coe College.

Faculty and Staff

Alumni

Leander Clark biography

Off-Site References:

History or Western-Leander-Clark College, 1856-1911, by Henry W. Ward.

Western Breeze 1903
This yearbook has biographies of faculty and students, classes of 1903 through 1906, with photos.



Tama County
Schools
Back to Tama County IAGenWeb
Towns & Townships

This page was last updated 29 Sep 2017 by William Haloupek.

© IAGenWeb 2017