Susan Johnston Wade
The Toledo Chronicle
One of the largest funerals recently held in Toledo was that of Mrs. Susan A. Wade, wife of Wm. Wade, which took place at the United Brethren church last Monday afternoon. The family relationship being unusually large, with the wide circle of old neighbors and friends, the church was well filled, and the deceased being in high esteem, the services were deeply tender and impressive. The music was furnished by the church choir, the scriptures were read by Dr. E. L. Miller and prayer was offered by President Bockwalter of Western College. The memorial address was given by the pastor of the church, the Rev. M. R. Drury, who spoke in very high terms of commendation of the life and character of Mrs. Wade, he having been her pastor for eight years. Dr. Drury spoke of her as a queenly woman in her home and as an intelligent, sincere and consecrated Christian, and one who had in a pre-eminent sense devoted her life to laying up treasures in heaven. Her great love for the church, her personal piety, and the happy and peaceful closing of her life were impressively invaluable lessons to the living. The following is the life sketch as read by Dr. Drury:
Susan A. Johnston Wade was born in Mt. Pleasant, Pa., and died at her home near Toledo, Iowa, March 6th aged 66 years, 9 months and 23 days. Early in her girlhood she was converted, whereupon she joined the United Brethren church, the church with which her parents were identified. December 28th, 1858, she was united in marriage with Wm. Wade, who now survives her after forty-five years of happy wedded life.
Two years after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Wade sought a new home in the then distant West, locaitng in the southeastern part of Tama county, Iowa. After five years' residience in this new country, they returned to their old Pennsylvania home where they, however, remained but three years, when, in 1868, they returned to Iowa, settling near Toledo, in whose vicinity they have since continued to reside. To them were born ten children, three of whom died in infancy, all the others surviving to cherish the memory of one of the nobles of Christian mothers.
Mrs. Wade leaves three brothers and five sisters, all residents of Toledo and vicinity, here being the only death in a large family, except in the case of her father and mother, for more than fifty years.
When the United Brethren church was organized in Toledo in September 1872, Mr. and Mrs. Wade were among the thirteen charter members. Through all the years since they have been most loyally devoted to the work and welfare of this church. Mrs. Wade was also a charter member of the local Woman's Missionary Society of the church. She was also a member of the Sunday school from its organization. Her Christian life embraces a period of more than fifty years, and was most beautiful in its simplicity, evenness and consistency. In her home, in the church and in society she was ever the same true-hearted, wadeful and devout follower of her Master Jesus Christ. She leaves a multitude of friends, who, with children, grandchildren and other relatives, will tenderly cherish the memory of her beautiful and useful life."
The floral tributes from the Woman's Missionary Society, the Ladies' Aid Society, and friends were generous appropriate, evidencing the affectionate regard in which the deceased was held. The interment was in Woodlawn Cemetery.
Submitted by:Gary Wade (GaryWOTR@aol.com)