Samuel Cornelius Carter
Useful Life of S. C. Carter Ends
HE CAME FIRST TO CHESTER TOWNSHIP SEPT. 1, 1864.
Served During Civil War In Fourth Iowa Cavalry – His Wife of 58 Years Survives Him.
Samuel Cornelius Carter, son of Zalmon Carter and Harriet Ayers Carter, was born Sept. 19, 1841, at Winchester, Illinois and died at his home in Chester township, March 16, 1924. He was the youngest of a family of nine all of whom had preceded him in death.
In the spring of 1863, he came to Chester, Iowa. September 1, 1864, he enlisted in Co. E., 4th Iowa Cavalry, and was honorably discharged July 11, 1865.
March 22, 1866, he was united in marriage to Lydia Chase at Tama, Iowa. They began their happy home life on a farm in Chester township later known as the Hockman farm.
Her began a home making that meant a full cup of happiness to two souls that was to last for almost fifty eight years. To them were born three daughters, Mrs. Ella Rickard, Mrs. Fanny L. Marsh and Mrs. Emma Quivey, all of whom were with their father in the last days of life.
There are five grandchildren, Mr. Carter came of strong New England stock. His ancestors were among those who fought to make this a free land and independent nation and when the call of Abraham Lincoln came for men to keep this an undivided nation he answered the call and gave faithful service.
Mr. and Mrs. Carter ? settlement in Chester Township united with the Chester Congregational church and gave their full share of faithful service in the church and to the work of building up the community life. For a short time the family lived in Malcom and while there they were members of the Presbyterian church. In 1906, the family moved to Lamar, MO. And lived there until 1917 when they returned to Chester. During their stay in Lamar they united with the M. E. Church of Lamar.
Mr. Carter while at heart a Congregationalist, was a broad minded man, and not finding his own denomination could be at home with any people who truly sought to find the truth. The funeral services were held at the Chester church on Tuesday P. M. March 18th conducted by the Pastor, H. L. Wissler and the body was laid to rest in Chester cemetery.
Submitted by: Jeanne Toland Lane (Retiredgrama@aol.com)