Robert Melick was born in Knox county, Ohio, January 21, 1820, and died in Perry Iowa, at the home of his son G. R. Melick, Feb. 10, 1895, aged 75 years and 20 days. His parents were early settlers in Knox county, Ohio, where they were engaged in farming. Here Robert was reared on a farm and grew to manhood, receiving his education in the log school houses of pioneer days. In 1852 he was married to Miss Delilah Ross, and to them were born eight children, four sons and four daughters, five of whom are living, George R., Samuel M., Sally M., Robert E., and Ira J. A sister, Mrs. Jane Ross, of Knox county, Ohio, is the only surviving member of this family.
In 1864 Mr. Melick came to Tama county and located in Toledo township. Here he developed a beautiful farm and reared his children, who possess those sterling qualities that make good citizens, and honored members of society. His wife died April 23, 1880, and since that time Mr. Melick has made his home with his several children, and during these years has enjoyed going among his friends in different parts of the state. He was for many years a member of the Free Will Baptist church, but when the church disbanded here, he placed his membership with the Christian church of Tama, where it was at the time of his death. He was a good citizen and well liked by those who knew him. His last sickness was brief, being ill only a few days. Up to the time of his last sickness he had been in very good health. The cause of his death was a severe attack of grippe, supplemented by a stroke of paralysis, and from the first he grew rapidly worse.
The funeral services were held at the U. B. church on Tuesday, Feb. 12. Among those present were many old-time friends and fist settlers of this county. Rev. w. I. Beatty, assisted by Dr. S. N. Fellows, conducted the exercises. The text was taken from Psalm 84:12, “O, Lord of Hosts, blessed is the man that trusteth in thee.” The pallbearers were A. J. Wheaton, Major L. Clark, Wm. Moorcroft, John McClain, Chas. Mason and J. P. Evans. A quartette, consisting of Miss Lilyan Bowles, Mrs. W. A. smith,, M. M. Bomgardner and David Russell, with Miss Alice Harrison at the organ, furnished very appropriate and pleasing music. Several floral offerings lay upon the casket. The remains were laid away in Woodlawn cemetery.
Submitted by: Jeanne Toland Lane (Retiredgrama@aol.com)