James Monroe Camery
James Monroe Camery was born in Rockingham County, Virginia, May 11, 1825. He died at his home in this city Feb 2 1911, thus being aged 85 years, 8 mos. and 21 days.
He was the son of Christian and Nancy Messick Camery, and removed with them to Knox County, Ohio, when about ten years of age. Here he grew up to manhood, and on Sep 11, 1845, he was married to Susan Wilson with whom he lived until she died on August 29, 1894. To them were born two sons, Denton and Dorton. Dorton died in 1851, when 3 years of age. In 1861 Mr. Camery and his family removed to Tama county, Iowa, and settled on a farm near old Buckingham, near Traer, in Buckingham township. He remained on this farm until the spring of 1870 when he removed to Toledo, where he went ino the implement business with his son, under the frim name of J. M. Camery & Son. He continued in this business for about a quarter of a century, when the business was disposed of and he retired from business.
After the death of his wife he made his home with his son, his daughter in law, Mrs. Violet Camery, caring for him until her death in 1908, and since cared for by his granddaughter, Mrs. Edith McClaskey. Mr. Camery was a man of exceedingly strong constitution, made even stronger by his temperate and self-controlled life; he never used tobacco nor intoxicationg liquors. In his father's family were 12 children, nine boys and 3 daughters. Of these all are dead except one brother and 2 sisters who live in Illinois, and who were too feeble to come to the funeral. Politically, Mr. Camery was an ardent Republican and held office as Township Trustee of Toledo township for two terms, and a member of the Toledo City council for 2 terms. Religiously, Mr. Camery was converted when 15 years of age and united with the church. When he removed to Iowa he united with the Methodist Episcopal church and remained a faithful member until his death. He was for many years a member of the Board of Trustees of the Toledo church and was also a member of the Building Committee in the erection of the present church edifice. He gave much time to this work, contributed liberally, and gave the Bible which is now in the church pulpit.
His health began to fail last summer and gradually declined in strength until his death. Without any particular disease except old age he came down like a 'shock of corn" fully ripe for the harvest. The funeral services wre held from the M.E. church on Saturday at 10:30 a.m. conducted by his pastor and friend the Rev. C.L. Nye, assisted by a former pastor Dr. H. O. Pratt of Tama. Music was furnished by Mrs. Bent Brown, Miss Ethel Hamby, Messrs. B. Frank Green and H. P. Giger, with Mrs. H. P. Giger at the organ. The pallbearers wre Messrs. R. B. Lichty, H. B. Shoemaker, W.A. Dexter, J. A. Salzman, J. F. Yothers, E. B. Arnold. Interment was in Woodlawn cemetery.
The out-of-town attendants at the funeral were Mrs. Addie Brown, Miss Cora Camery and Wm. Fleming of Traer, Carl Newcomer, Eldora; J. T. Cowan, Mount Vernon.
Submitted by: Pientokj@aol.com