[IAGenWeb
Tama County, IA
USGenWeb Project
[USGenWeb


Geneseo Township

Taken from the History of Tama County, Iowa Its Cities, Towns and Villages
Early Reminiscences, Personal Incidents and Anecdotes,
And A Complete Business Directory Of The County
By Samuel D. Chapman 1879

Contributed by Patty Delmott and Transcribed by Cyndi Vertrees

Geneseo township lies in 86 north, and 13 west. Is well watered by Wolf Creek or Big Creek, which takes its rise in the north western part of the County. This flows almost east across the township coming in on section 30 and passing out on section 24; with its several tributaries it affords plenty of water for all purposes, and drains the township sufficiently, while along its banks can be found abundance of timber. Stone can be found in this township near the timber, of which there is sufficient for all necessary purposes. The township consists of a fine farming surface; the soil rich and productive.

J. Hill and J. Riley, were the first to settle in the township, coming in and taking claims in section 24. N. Spencer, G. Bussler, J. Tedford, L. and T. F. Clark are also among the old settlers who improved farms in different parts of the township.

The township has within its limits one town Mooreville, a name given it by G. E. Moore, who established a Flouring Mill at that point about the year 1870. The first store was opened by Wm. Davidson, who after doing business a number of years removed to the town of Dysart and engaged in business at that point. Mooreville to-day has one store and post office with C. A. Williams & Bro. Proprietors, one flouring mill operated by B. & A. Bruner, and one blacksmith shop, by Bugbee & Barns, who established it in 1878.

S. Slade, taught the first school in the fall of 1856.

The first marriage was A. Goodparter to Miss Mary Hill, April 30, 1854.

The first death was James riley who died in the year 1855.

The first birth was Louisa, daughter of J. and C. Riley in 1854.

The township was named by N. Spencer, it being the name of a township in New York were he formerly resided.

The township was organized February 5, 1856. Application made by Nathaniel Spencer.

The land is of good quality. In the township are many fine farms and farm residences and the most substantial buildings found in the County. As a stock raising township it ranks among the best. In number and quality of hogs and cattle they excel. M. Casey, T. F. Clark, A. McElhinney, J. Riley, L. D. and G. W. Hill and H. Wager, are among the heaviest farmers.

Back To Township Histories