These are taken from pages I pulled while looking for people on the biography list. Eventually these will be added to their perspective chapters.
Page 323 Chapter 9
T. F. BRADFORD came to Tama county in 1861, and began the practice of law. He was a native of Tennessee, from which State he had been driven by the excitement preceding the war. He had been admitted to the bar and in practice in Tennessee and while here was very successful in his profession. He was a good jury lawyer and had a good knowledge and understanding of the law. In June, 1862, he was appointed County Judge by the Board of Supervisors to fill the vacancy occasioned by the resignation of Judge John Allen. After serving out the unexpired term he returned to the practice of law. In October, 1863, he was elected County Judge but resigned within a few months to enter the army. When Bradford came to Tama county he had a dread of going to war, knowing that in case of capture he would be shown no mercy, having formerly been a Southerner, and was sore afraid that some scheme of conscription would be inaugurated whereby he would be forced into the service. But as the war progressed he became very patriotic and finally returned to Tennessee and volunteered in a regiment, which had been raised by his brother. About one-half the regiment was composed of Negroes, and was stationed at Fort Pillow about seventy miles above Memphis, on the Mississippi. Early in 1864 the Fort was surprised by General Forrest and the whole regiment massacred. T. F. Bradford who had been promoted to the Captaincy, being shot down while holding the Union flag. Mr. Bradfordís widow remained in the county four or five years, and subsequently married Col. C. K. Bodfish. They separated and she removed to Marshalltown where her brother, H. E. J. Boardman lives. T. F. Bradford was a man of great honor and integrity, faithful to a friend and bitter to an enemy. He was a pleasant, genial man socially, of easy habits, and made many friends.
Pg 351 Chapter 9
Mr. FITZGERALD was educated in the common schools of Whiteside county, Ills. After his discharge from the service, he returned to Illinois, and from there went to Lyons, this State, where he attended school. In May 1866, he came to Tama county, settling in Carlton township, where he now resides. Mr. Fitzgerald, since his youth, has had a desire to become a member of the bar, and has for years improved his leisure time by reading the works of eminent authors, and for a number of years has practiced in the lower courts of the county. The event of his life occurred on February 26, 1883, when he was admitted to the bar at the regular term of the district court, over which Judge James D. Griffins presided. Mr. F. was married on the 24th day of September, 1866, to Miss Elizabeth L. Welton, who was born in Moultrie County, Ill., in 1843. By this union there have been two children- Charles E. (deceased) and Ella E. Mrs. Fitzgerald is a member of the M. E. Church. Mr. F. was formerly a Republican, but at present is an anti-monopolist.
ONESIPHORUS GRAVATT was a pioneer of 1857, locating in Buckingham during that year. He was born in Surrey, England, October 20, 1826. He lived on the farm and went to the country school until thirteen years old, when he was apprenticed to a blacksmith. He served two and a half years and then worked as a journey-man about two years; then finding that it affected his lungs, he quit the business. At twenty years of age he went to the city of London, where he was employed by an asphalt company one year, and then received a commission as a police officer of the city. In February of 1850, he resigned, and the following April set sail for America. He landed in New York city, and immediately proceeded to Mercer county, Ohio, where, in August, 1851, he bought a piece of timber land which he cleared and cultivated. In 1856, he visited Iowa to see the country and selected Tama county as his future home. He then returned to Ohio, and in 1857, sold his farm in that State and came to Tama county, arriving on the 23d of September. He purchased a house and lot in Buckingham village, and rented land of Jonas Wood which he began farming. In 1860, he bought eighty acres on section 27 and the following year settled on it. Since that time he has added about five hundred acres to the first farm and has greatly improved the whole. During 1877, he erected the residence in which he now lives. In 1850, Mr. Gravatt was united in marriage with Miss Sarah Howick, who was born in Sussex, England, September 23, 1825. Nine children were born to them - Albert, Basilia, Carlisle, Mary A., Florella, Luella, Laura May, Cornelia and William V. The husband and children were called to mourn the loss of the wife and mother December 22, 1877.
J. B. GRINNELLíS paternal ancestors were Huguenots, who, after the revocation of edict of Nantes, escaped from France to Wales, and thence emigrated to Rhode Island in 1710; his grandfather settling in the wilderness of Vermont. Josiah was born in New Haven, Vermont, in 1822, and was left an orphan at the age of ten years. Under the roof of his guardian he fitted himself to teach school at he age of sixteen, and then prepared for and entered the Oneida College, New York, from which he graduated, subsequently receiving at Middlebury College, Vermont, the honorary degree of A. M. He then graduated in theology at Auburn, N. Y., was ordained to the ministry in the Congregational Church, and commenced preaching at Union Village, N. Y., where he remained three years. He then filled the pulpit for four years in Washington and New York cities, and 1854 determined upon moving west and establishing a colony. In May, 1854, by appointment, he met a number who wished to join him in the enterprise at Iowa City, and site was selected, where the present city of Grinnell is located. Mr. Grinnell did much toward the building up of that place and it was named in honor of him; he gave a large amount toward the founding of the University, and in many other ways has been very public spirited. In Congress, Mr. Grinnell was an advocate of a protective tariff. He was a strong partisan, and upon one occasion, he had a bitter controversy upon the floor of the House with General Rousseau, of Kentucky, and was attacked by him with a cane in consequence; for which Rousseau was censured at the bar of the House, and before his death asked and received pardon of his injured colleague. Mr. Grinnell still makes his home in the town bearing his name.
Page 323 Chapter 9
ALBERT STODDARD became a member of the Tama county bar in 1859, locating at Toledo. He was a native of Connecticut, but came here from Fort Madison, where he had been for several years, editing a newspaper. He was admitted to the bar at that place, and commenced practice soon after his arrival here. When the war broke out he enlisted, became Captain of Company C., 10th Iowa Infantry, and served to the close of the rebellion. Returning, he resumed the practice of law continuing until the time of his death, which took place about 1870. Mr. Stoddard was a good writer, easy and full of pith, and made an excellent newspaper man; but did not make as successful a lawyer as his friends had imagined; not for want of ability, but for some reason he soon lost interest in it. He was really more successful than the average lawyer but not what he might have been. He was a good deal of a politician and made a good stump speech. Socially he was a pleasant, genial and rather talkative man, and had an easy, good natured and jovial disposition, which found vent in cracking jokes. He was deputy assessor of Internal Revenue, under John Connell, during the Andy Johnson administration. His family remained in Toledo a few years after his death and removed toIllinois.
WILLIAM VANDEVER, of Dubuque, was elected a member of the 36th Congress, and re-elected to the 37th. William Vandever is a native of Maryland. In 1839 he came west, locating in Rock Island, where he remained until 1821, when he moved to Dubuque. In 1855 he formed a partnership with Ben W. Samuels, of Dubuque, in the practice of law. In 1858 he was elected a member of the 36th Congress. He made a useful member of that body. While serving his second term, he abandoned his seat in Congress, returned home and raised the 9th Iowa infantry, of which he was made Colonel. In 1862 he was promoted a Brigadier-General. Since the close of the war he has had several important public positions. He still lives in Dubuque. By the census of 1862 Iowa was entitled to six Representatives in Congress, and on the State being re-districted Tama county became a part of the Fourth District. The first Representative of this district was Josiah B. Grinnell, who was elected in the fall of 1862, and served through the 38th Congress. In 1864 he was re-elected a member of the 39th Congress.
Another settler in 1855, was JONATHAN S. BISHOP, a native of Logan county, Ohio, who came here with his family from St. Joseph county, Michigan. They started from that place the 24th of April with three yoke of oxen and one yoke of cows. They visited on the way in Illinois and in Washington county this State, and arrived in Crystal township the 10th day of June, and settled on the east half of the northeast quarter of section 31. His family lived in the wagons until fall. During the summer he broke some of his land and drew some lumber from Muscatine and erected a frame house. He continued to improve his land until the fall of 1862, when he joined the Union army. He died in the service, September 8, 1863. Two of his sons are now residents of the township
Jonathan S. Bishop was born on the banks of the Little Miami, in Logan county, Ohio, October 20,1818. His youth was spent in school and assisting his father on the farm. When twenty years of age he began learning the wheelwrights trade. During 1839, he was in Springfield, Illinois, building carts, which were to be used in dragging stone to the site where the State capitol was to be erected. April 20, 1840, he was married, at Urbana, Ohio, to Miss Mary McGahan, a native of Erie county, Pennsylvania, and born July 7, 1813. They were blessed with four children, only one of whom is now living - John B. M. The subject of this sketch continued to work at his trade in Ohio until 1845, when he removed to Cass county, Michigan, where he bought a farm and also a saw mill. His wife died there March 25, 1851, and he soon after sold his property and removed to St. Joseph county, working at his trade in the town of Constantine. Subsequently he was married in that county to Mrs. Polly Ray Ketchum, widow of Loren Ketchum. She was born November 28, 1821, Cattaraugus county, New York. Three children were born to them: Charles A., Harriet E. and Laura A. In 1853, Mr. Bishop removed to White Pigeon, Michigan, and two years later, came to Tama county, Iowa. He entered land on section 31, of Crystal township, upon his arrival here, and immediately began improving it. In September of 1862 he enlisted in Company F, 28th Iowa Volunteers, being mustered in as corporal. He was detailed as his Company's representative in the color guard. He was flag bearer at the battle of Champion Hills, where he was slightly wounded in the arm. The flag staff was shattered over his head and the flag badly damaged. He participated in the battle of Port Gibson and the siege of Vicksburg, and was with the regiment in its march to New Orleans. In August of 1863 he was detached from his regiment and joined the 11th Louisiana. Shortly after, he was taken sick with typhoid fever and died in the regiment camp, September 8th, 1863. Mrs. Bishop died at their home August 18th, twenty days before her husbands death occurred.
CHARLES A. BISHOP, youngest son of Jonathan S. Bishop, was born at Constantine, in St. Joseph county, Michigan, August 26, 1852. He was in his third year when his parents settled in this State. His education was received in the district schools of Crystal township, and at the High School of Toledo. February 2, 1876, he was united in marriage with Miss Maggie Watt, daughter of Joseph Watt, of Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania. They have two children: Frank R. and Arthur A. In 1875 the subject of this sketch purchased a farm of section 32 of Crystal township. During 1882 he erected on it his present large frame residence.
VALENTINE SHULTZ a native of the "Keystone" State, started from Michigan, and arrived in Crystal township June 8, 1855, and settled on the west half of the north-west quarter of section 32, where he built the second log house in the township, and lived in it until the time of his death, in 1868. His widow now lives in Garwin.
ASA HOAG, who was a native of the empire State, came here from St. Joseph county, Michigan, in 1855, and settled on the northeast quarter of 29, where he erected a board shanty. On the way here his wife lost her reason, and on that account he sold out in 1856 and returned to Michigan, where he was killed about a year later by a falling tree.
In the fall of 1855, MRS. MARGARET MORTON also a native of the empire State came with her family from Lee county, Illinois, over land with ox teams, crossing the Mississippi river at Fulton. They were eleven days on the road and settled on the southeast quarter of section14.
Mrs. Margaret Morton, one of the first settlers of Crystal township, is a daughter of Jonathan and Dorotha (Smith) Peterson, and was born January 11, 1817, in Cortland county, New York. September 1, 1836, she was joined in wedlock with John Morton, who was born in Tompkins county, New York, May 2, 1815. He was reared on a farm in his native county, and when a young man, learned the trade of wagon making. The same year in which he was married, he opened a wagon shop in Allegany county, and continued in business there until 1842, when he removed to Lee county, Illinois. There he was employed in farming for a while, and then opened a wagon and plow shop, which business he followed until the time of his death, October 6, 1854. He left a wife and seven children to mourn his loss; two of those children have since followed him to that "brighter shore." The five now living are Persis, Ann N., Luceba, Newman W. and Almeda. In the fall of 1855, Mrs. Morton started, with her family, for the west. Upon reaching Iowa, she proceeded to this county, where she had previously purchased land in the southeast quarter of section 14, Crystal township, and where she has ever since made her home.
Her oldest son, Jonathan Morton, was born in allegany county, New York, February 4, 1838. He made his home with his mother until January of 1864, when he enlisted in Company A, 14th Iowa Volunteers. His regiment joined General Banks'command and participated in the Red River expedition, in which campaign, at the battle of Pleasant Hill, he was wounded. He was in several other engagements, remaining in the service until the spring of 1865, when he was taken sick, from exposure, and never recovered. He was discharged in June, of that year, and returned home, where, after many weary months of pain and sickness, he died on the 24th day of February, 1866. Her daughter, Persis, is now the wife of M. C. Felter. Ann N., formerly a teacher in the public schools of this county, is now deputy postmaster of Crystal post office, and is also Secretary of the School Board. She has a general store on the northeast quarter of section14, Crystal township. Luceba was married to George W. Buchanan, July 3, 1864, and is now residing with her family in Union county, Oregon.
Newman W., the only son now living, is a native of Lee county, Illinois, when he was born October 18, 1848. He was seven years of age when his mother settled in Iowa. His education was received in Crystal township,. He was married at Beaver City, Furnas county, Nebraska, on the 31st of January, 1880, to Miss Laura E. Evans, a native of Bureau county, Illinois. They have one son - Claude Henry. Mr. Morton now occupies the old homestead.
Almeda was married December 26, 1876, to John Estle, who died May 12, 1882, leaving his wife and two children, Tony Ray and Anna Mable, to mourn his untimely death.
Another prominent settler of 1857 was MICHAEL CASEY, who came her from Vermont, and settled on section 29, where he lived seven years and then moved to section 13, where he now resides. He is one of the largest land owners in the county. Michael was born in county Clare, Ireland, in 1819. His early life was spent in tilling the soil of his native country. In 1840 he was married to Miss Margaret Buckley, who bore him two children - James and Mary. In 1845 they emigrated to America. After remaining in Quebec (their landing place) three weeks, they crossed over the States and settled in Boston, Massachusetts, where, a few months later, his wife died. During 1849, he removed to Vermont, where he was employed on the Burlington & Rutland railroad. While there, Mr. Casey was married, in 1850, to Miss Loraine Madison, of Windsor county, that State. Four children have been born to them - George (who was born in Vermont), Oscar, Henry and Alma, born in Iowa.
In 1851, Mr. Casey went south, where he spent five years and five months, and then returned to Vermont. In 1857 he came to Tama county, Iowa, and settled on section 29, Geneseo township, where he had purchased 80 acres of land. He lived there until 1864, when he sold the farm, removed to section 13, where he bought land and erected the frame house in which he now lives. At the present time he has a large barn and other buildings for stock and grain on his farm, and is now making preparations to erect a new residence during the summer of 1883.
Formerly, Mr. Casey devoted his many acres to the cultivation of grain, extensively, raising 7,000 bushels per year, but of late years he has turned his attention to stock raising. His farm now consists of nearly 1,300 acres. His eldest daughter, Mary, died in Black Hawk county, Iowa, April 23, 1882, leaving a husband and eight children to mourn her death.
JOHN A., eldest son of William and Mary (Pottman) KINNER, was born in Cattaraugus county, New York on the 17th of November 1826. He attended school in his boyhood and assisted his father on the farm. At seventeen years of age he engaged to learn the carpenter's trade, serving as an apprentice for three years, then worked for another three years as a journeyman, after which he engaged in business as carpenter and builder in York State until 1849. At this time he came west to Wisconsin and worked at his trade in rock county until 1864, when he moved to Illinois, locating in Carroll county, where he remained for three years and in 1867 came to Iowa. He came at once to Tama county and purchased land on section 26 of Oneida township, where he now lives. Mr. Kinner was married in 1849, to Miss Lucy A. Clarke, of Allegany county, New York. They have been blessed with seven children, four of whom are now living: Emory E., Emily E., George C. and Samuel M.
ADIN ANTRIM, a native of Clinton county, Ohio, came in 1856, from Illinois and purchased land on section 34. He came her with a two-horse team, five extra horses and eighteen head of cattle. He lived for some time in a sod house using his wagon cover for a roof. He improved the place and lived there until 1880, when he retired from his farm and purchased a residence in Traer, where he now lives.
D. D. APPELGATE has been one of Toledo's attorneys since 1868, and is among the oldest settlers of Tama county. He was born in Jackson county, Indiana, October 31, 1829, and was there reared upon a farm. In 1848 he left Indiana and came to Iowa, locating in Cedar county, were he remained until September, 1851, when he came to Tama county and located in Carlton township. In the spring of 1853, he was elected the first clerk of courts of Tama county; was re-elected from time to time and served until January, 1869, in the meantime reading law with Isaac L. Allen, ex-Attorney General, of Iowa, and in 1868, was admitted to the bar. He has followed the profession ever since. In 1856, Mr. Appelgate was married to Miss Margaret McLaury, of Delaware county, New York. They have six children. He was formerly an "old line Whig," but since the organization of the Republican party, has advocated its principles. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and of the A. O. U. W. organization, a much respected and worthy citizen.
H. C. BURRIS located in Oneida township in 1882, and purchased 160 acres of land on section14. Mr. Burris is a son of William and Ann (Busland) Burris, the former a native of Vermont, the latter of Ohio. He was born in Bureau county, Illinois, May 7, 1855. the family came to Iowa and located in Benton county in 1871, and there lived until 1882, when the parents went to Nebraska, and H. c. came to Tama county.
There were eight children in the family - Sarah R., now Mrs. Charles Jackson, of Howard county, Nebraska; Christa A., now wife of Solomon Thompson; W. E., H. C., J. E., Jennie L., now Mrs. J. C. Bergen, and Charles A. In 1875, Mr. Burris was married to Miss Maggie J. Byam, daughter of W. A. and Annie (Leveland) Byam. They have one daughter - Lulu Blanche. Mr. Burris is now engaged in farming and improving his land, and has one of the finest farms in the township.
Dr. F. W. GODING was a physician of Tama city. He was born in Hyde Park, Massachusetts, May 9, 1852. He was a son of A. L. and Lydia M. (Chandler) Goding. His mother was a cousin of Hon. Zachariah Chandler, and also of Hon. S. P. Chase. When ten years of age he removed with his parents to the city of Chicago. His classical education was obtained in the graded and high schools of that city, and at the Northwestern University, where he graduated with the class of 1877, receiving the degree of A. M. He studied medicine at the same institution, graduating from the medical department the same year; and in 1882, graduated from the Mercy Hospital. He at once began the practice of his profession in Chicago, but after a short time determined to seek a field of labor in some smaller town of the West; therefore, April 20, 1882, he located in Tama City, Iowa, where he remained for one year. Dr. Goding was editor for two years of the Blackberry Blade, a weekly paper published at Blackberry, Kane county, Illinois; he also taught school in that county seven years.
Dr. O. W. GODING was a dentist of Tama City. He was a native of Hyde Park, Massachusetts, where he was born May 12, 1857. When four years of age he removed with his parents to the city of Chicago, where he obtained a good education in the graded and high schools of that place. Subsequently he studied dentistry two years under Dr. e. H. Kilbourne, of Aurora, Illinois, who was President of the American Dental Association. He then began practicing his profession in that city. In April, 1882, he removed to Tama City, where he remained for one year.
John B. M. Bishop, son of Jonathan S. and Mary (McGahan) Bishop, was born in Logan county, Ohio, June 23, 1845, and was in his tenth year when his parents came to Iowa. He received the rudiments of his education at the district school and subsequently attended the high school at Toledo. In March, 1864, he enlisted in Company F., 28th Iowa Volunteers, went South, and joined his regiment at Mansfield, Louisiana. He participated in several minor engagements during the Red River campaign, and September 19, 1864, was wounded at the battle of Winchester. He entered the hospital in that town, but after some weeks was transferred to Baltimore, and thence to Turner's Lane Hospital, of Philadelphia, from which he was discharged, in May, 1865. He then returned home, and in the fall of that year entered Iowa College, at Grinnell, where he graduated in June, 1871. He is at present a member of the Board of Trustees of Crystal township. He was married, in October 1877, to Alice E., daughter of James Loughridge, of Huntsville, Arkansas. Three children have been born to them - George L., Edith and Agnes.
CHARLES H. CRAWFORD was also a member of the Tama county bar for some time, located at Toledo. He was a native of Mendota, La Salle county, Illinois, read law and was admitted to the bar at that place; then attended the University of Michigan, and graduated in law. He then returned to La Salle county, Illinois, and in 1869, company with Hon. L. G. Kinne, came to Iowa and located in Toledo. For a few months he and Mr. Kinne practiced in partnership, when they dissolved and L. G. Kinne became a partner of D. D. Applegate, while Mr. Crawford continued practice alone. He remained in Toledo for about two years, a portion of the time being city attorney; then returned to his old home, Mendota, Illinois. In a short time he removed to the city of Chicago, where he is still following his profession, living in Hyde Park. Crawford was a married man, a pleasant, genial, sociable fellow, and a first-rate lawyer.
HOMER S. BRADSHAW located at Toledo in 1871, and opened a law and collection office. He came from Mechanicsville, Iowa, where he had been employed for a number of years as principal of the public schools. He was a well educated man, and had a comparatively good practice, proving himself of more than ordinary legal ability. He has recently removed to Ida Grove, Iowa, where he is still in practice.
G. H. GOODRICH became a member of the Tama county bar, settling in Toledo in about 1870. He was a native of Massachusetts, came to Iowa a few years previous to the time mentioned, and located in Tama City, where he was employed as clerk in one of the banks. After practicing for a short time alone, in 1873, he became a partner of Judge Geo. R. Struble. This business relation was continued for about four years, when, for two years he practiced alone, and then removed to Marshalltown. After a year's sojourn in the latter city, he moved to Des Moines, where he still lives. When last heard from, he was employed as collector for some Chicago wholesale house. He was fine appearing, a good lawyer before a jury, having a good voice, and commanding presence. During his stay in Tama county, he was married.
MICHAEL AUSTIN was a member of the bar of Tama county from 1874 to 1880. He came here from Grinnell, being a graduate of the college of that place, and entered into partnership with George L. Bailey,. He was a fair lawyer and had a good promise, although just commencing practice, having been admitted to the bar just prior to coming here. He was genial and affable and became popular, serving the city at different times as attorney and mayor. Upon leaving Toledo he returned to Grinnell, gave up the practice of law and became agent for a company handling header harvesters