Star – Clipper Supplement
The formation of schools was of slow growth. The houses of the settlers were far apart, children few and no accommodations for schools, yet schools must be established, sacrifices must be made for them. The children must not be neglected if they were out West.
Accordingly in the summer of 1854 Miss Rachel Wood obtained a room in a cabin on section 3 in Perry, on the west side of the creek near where the town line bridge now is, and opened with four scholars. The first school house in the settlement was erected in the spring of 1856 in the village of Buckingham, was to be twenty feet square, twelve feet high.
Through correspondence Mr. Buckingham learned of it and suggested it be made longer for the use of religious meetings and proposed, if acceptable to furnish the money. Accordingly he donated $100 and twelve feet was added to the length of the house, and for fourteen years the room was used for religious purposes by all denominations without friction. Henry Daniel was the contractor.
During the summer, school was had in this building. Miss Jane Noble was teacher. This lady was a sister of Mrs. Church.
In the summer of 1857 Miss Charlotte Hester was the teacher.
In 1857 the Corner school house was erected. Mr. Hitchner built this house.
In 1858 the school house was erected at West Union. Mr. Leffingwell was contractor. After this date they increased rapidly until there is probably now one for every three miles. In nothing did the early settlers take greater interest or spend money more willingly than in the support of schools. Honor is due them. Their reward has been in seeing intelligent children grow into intelligent men and women, and will continue thus to grow and increase a thousand fold.
In 1868 the village of Buckingham district was formed into an independent district and in 1870 was built the two story building, yet used for school purposes. Previous to this date there was a summer school and a winter one. On taking possession of the new house the new order was instituted. The school was graded and held for nine months in the year. John Frazee, of Toledo, was the principal. He has since been a successful educator.
For the convenience of scholars on the west side of the
district a house was built near the residence of L. E. Wood. That house
was destroyed by a tornado in 1865 and was rebuilt. The same storm
destroyed the school house in Crystal village.
17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 |