Richland township comprises all of Congressional township 82, range 14. The Iowa river traverses the northern portion. Entering on section 6, it pursues a meandering course through parts of sections 7, 5 and 8, then through 4, 3, 10, 11 and 13, making exit from the latter section. Richland creek enters from the west on section 19, and flowing toward the east, passes through sections 20, 21 and 22, the northwest corner of 23, then through 14, and on 13 empties into the Iowa river. Otter creek crosses the northeastern corner. Entering near the northeast corner of section 3, it crosses sections 2 and 1, and leaves from section 12. Little Walnut creek flows through the southern portion, entering from the west on section 31, passes through 32, 33 and 34, and leaves toward the south near the southwest corner of 35. Richland township is bounded on the north by Otter Creek, on the west by Columbia on the south by Poweshiek county, and on the east by Salt Creek township. The southern portion of this township is a gently undulating prairie, containing some very find farms. The northern and central parts along Iowa river and Richland creek, is somewhat broken and is mainly timbered land, although much of the original supply has been cut off.
The Chicago & Northwestern railroad passes through this township. Entering on section 12, it bears toward the northwest, leaving from section 5. On this line there is one station within the township limits, called Long Point. It is located on section 4 and was established in 1882. There are two villages in the township, Helena and Eureka.
No part of history attracts more attention than the story of the early settlement. Many of the pioneers coming long distances, laboring under circumstances of discomfort, and arriving at length in a wilderness entirely devoid of desirable surroundings save those so bountifully bestowed by nature. In this particular spot nature indeed seems to have been lavish almost to extravagance, and the early settlers found a land second to none, ready to respond with liberality to any demand. An abundance of pure water, with stone and timber near at hand to furnish ready material for the wants and necessities of man and beast. All these things tend to make more endurable the lot of the pioneer, and all honor is due to these noble men and women, who opened up this territory and thus provided a possibility for those of later date to secure and enjoy such desirable homes and happy surroundings.
The first settlement here was effected in the spring of 1851, by Alanson P. Rich and family, having entered the northeast quarter of section 23, in the fall of 1850. He remained here during that winter, built a house, and brought out his family the following spring. Here he remained until the time of his death which occurred March 12, 1863. His widow still lives in the township. They were genial hospitable people and for eight years their house was headquarters for all new comers, and a stopping place for travelers.
Alanson P. Rich was born at Euraggy, Massachusetts, May, 16, 1812, where his early life was spent. In 1831, he came west to Knox county, Illinois, where he married Miss Anna Hartsock, October 16, 1834. She is a native of Knox county, Ohio. They came to Iowa and settled in Johnson county, in 1843. Again in 1851, they moved, coming to Tama county, where they were the first settlers in Richland township. Mr. Rich remained here until his death, which occurred March 12, 1863. His wife still survives him. Of their children, five are living: James, Edwin, Hiram, Ellen and Mary.
During the summer of 1851, Green Reynolds arrived and spent a part of the time in his wagon under the tree. He finally made a selection of land on section 24, and afterward left the county. In 1853, Thomas Skyles and family came and settled on section 24. In a few years Mr. Skyles sold that place and located on section 13, where he died. Thomas Skyles was born in Madison county, Ohio, April 8, 1830. His father died soon after, and in 1840, his mother moved to Park county, Indiana, where Thomas grew to manhood, and was married January 16, 1849, to Miss Elizabeth J. Cleghorn, a native of Clay county, same State. The following fall they came to Iowa, settling in Cedar county, where they lived until 1853, when they came to Tama county and settled on section 13, Richland township. Here Mr. Skyles died on May 1, 1879. Mr. and Mrs. Skyles had seven children born to them: Susie V., Lorenzo D., Luesie A., Mary J., Martha B., William M and Lydia C.
N B Hiatt came in the fall of 1853, and settled on section 16, where he remained until 1859, then removed to section 23, and finally went to Kansas where he still resides.
John M. Ramsdell and his brother, C. E., came to the township in the spring of 1853, and settled on section 22, where they reside and are the oldest living settlers in the township.
In the fall of the same year, Richard Clem and family arrived and lived a short time on section 22, when he made a selection of land on section 15. He now resides on section 13.
John Flathers came in 1854, and still lives on section 14, Richland township.
In July 1854, James Hatfield and family arrived and settled on the northeast quarter of 20, having entered the land in 1853, where he lived until he died October 23, 1854. His three sons Amos, Stephen Hiram and Elias, came with him, and of these Elias and Hiram are the only ones living.
In the spring of 1854, James Marshall arrived and settled on the southwest quarter of section 21, where he remained until the spring of 1857, when he moved to Kansas, where he now lives. Thomas and Franklin Marshall came about the same time, but remained only a few years.
These were the earliest settlers. Afterward a thrifty and reliable class of people continued to come, and the township settled rapidly. Among those who came and were comfortably settled before 1860, were: John Ramsdell, Joseph and Jeremiah Smith, E. Deeter, Dr. J. B. Louthan, Newton Hiatt, John Flathers, James Clem, L. Snyder, Charles Barnes, J. C. Flint, E. A. Flint, George Reed, J. F. Cram and others. Most of these gentlemen are noticed elsewhere in this volume. Here are presented personal sketches of a few of those named who are yet here and are now prominent citizens.
Jeremiah Smith was born in Franklin county, Ohio, August 27, 1824. He remained until 1855, in his native county, and then came west to Tama county and settled on section 24, Richland township. One year later he moved to his present farm on section 13. In 1855, he was married to Miss Amelia Bobo. They have six children--Bryon, Oscar, Sherman, Ida, Harrison and Wesley.
Charles Barnes was born in Hillsboro county, New Hampshire, August 10, 1823. He is a son of Joseph and Sarah (Putman) Barnes. His early days were spent on his father's farm, but he was given advantages so that he received a good common school education. In 1855, he came west and located in Richland township, and two years later, settled on section 28, where he has sincere sided. Mr. Barnes is one of the present Trustees of Richland township. In 1856, he was joined in marriage with Miss Harriett Hatfield, a native of Ohio. Two children bless this union--Oldis L. and Delia E.
E. A. Flint is a native of New York, and was born in Montgomery county, on the 29th day of November, 1825. He is a son of Alva and Elizabeth (Cross) Flint, both natives of the empire State. In 1857 he came west to Tama county, and first located in Salt Creek township, remaining until 1861, when he settled in the southeastern part of Richland township. In 1865, he moved to his present farm on section 21, where he is now the owner of 123 acres of land under good cultivation. In politics Mr. Flint is a Greenbacker, and has held the office of Trustee, and School Director. Mr. Flint is a Master Mason and is present Master of Blazing Star Lodge, No. 352, of Haven. He was married in 1845, to Miss Catherine Pitcher, a native of New York. They have five children living: Alida, Alice, Benjamin F., Dorcas and Edith.
J.C. Flint came to tama county in 1857, locating in Salt Creek township. However, in 1862, he moved and settled on section 29, of Richland township, where he now owns 180 acres of well improved land. He was born in Montgomery county, New York, September 18, 1830. He grew to manhood on his father's farm in his native county, receiving a good common school education. In 1852, he came west to Ohio, and afterward to Michigan. Mr. Flint, at present votes with the Greenback party. He is a Master Mason. In1854, he was married to Miss Abigal Recter, a native of New York State. Six children bless this union: William, Jessie, Cora, Charles, Estella and Erma.
George Reed was born in Union county, Ohio, April 14, 1834. His parents were John and Juliette (Burnham) Reed. He lived with his parents in his native county until nineteen years of age, then came west to Clayton county, Iowa, and, in 1857, came to Tama county, and purchased a farm on section 21,Richland township. He has since made this his home, and has now 274 acres all under a high state of cultivation. Mr. Reed has always taken an active part in the politics of his town, and at present holds the office of Assessor. In1863, he enlisted in Co. H, 136th Ohio, Infantry, enlisting while on a visit to Ohio. He was honorably discharged from the service at the expiration of his enlistment, which was four months. In 1856, he was married to Miss Tabitha Reed, a lady of the same name, but no relation. They have had six children born unto them, four of whom are living: Lella, Araminta, Charles and Crawford.
J. F. Cram is a native of Maine, born in Penobscott county, on the 3d of December, 1829. Soon after his birth his parents moved to New Hampshire, where J. F. remained until eighteen years of age. He then went to New York State and located it Otsego county, where he learned the moulders trade and remained until 1848. He next came west to Wisconsin, where he spent sometime, then removed to Chicago, Illinois, and soon after returned to New Hampshire. In 1852, he came to Iowa, pre-empted land in Cedar county, where he spent one year engaged in farming. The following four years he spent in Johnson county, Iowa, and in the fall of 1857, came to Tama county and entered 160 acres on section 27, Richland township, which he still owns. In politics, Mr. cram is a republican, and has held several of the township offices; for the past eight years holding the office of Town Clerk. He was married in 1855 to Miss Adeline E. Douglass, a native of New York. Five children have been born unto them, four of whom are living--Charles B., Thomas F., Lizzie L. and Carrie D.
Among those who arrived during the decade between 1860 and 1870, may be mentioned Hiram Clay, William W. Tappen, A. Gloss, John P. Campbell, Samuel Gould, Isaac Morford, Liberty Coolidge, J. A. Thompson, John K. Gray. F. A. Bomer, G W. Walker and others. Those named are yet citizens of the township, and are representative men.
Hiram Clay was born in Stark county, Ohio, January 13, 1829. His parents were Simon and Barbara (Loutzenheiser) Clay. In 1834, his parents, moved to Seneca county, Ohio, where he grew to manhood on the farm. In 1854, he came west to Marshall county, Iowa, and six years later came to Tama county, locating in Richland township. In 1862 he settled on section 16, and now owns 115 acres. In 1850, he was married to Miss Ellen Allen, a native of Seneca county, Ohio. She was a daughter of George and Elinor (Taylor) Allen. Seven children blessed this union--George A., Charles, Clinton, Clara, Amanda, Rose and Ruby.
William W. Tappen was born in Addison county, Vermont, August 10, 1835. He is a son of Jacob and Charlotte (Adams) Tappen, both natives of Vermont. His early life was spent on his father's farm. In 1854, he came west to Wisconsin and located in Sauk county, remaining one summer engaged in the lumber trade. In October of 1854, he went to St. John's, Michigan, and engaged in lumbering and farming. In 1862, he came to Tama county and located in Salt Creek township, where, for thirteen years, he rented a farm. In 1875, he settled on section 36, Richland township, where he now owns 160 acres of land. Mr. Tappen was married in 1863, to Miss Mary McFarland, a native of Ohio. They have six children--Gertrude, Ecwart, Ellery, Elizabeth, Mary and Charles.
Albert Gloss is a native of Stark county, Ohio, born April 6, 1851. He was reared in Ohio, until twelve years of age, then came to Iowa with his parents, John and Christina Gloss. In 1865, they settled in Richland township, Tama county, on section 17, where Albert and his mother each own forty acres of land. His father died a few years ago. Mr. Gloss is a Republican and has always voted with that party.
John P. Campbell is a native of Pennsylvania, born in Luzerne county, July17, 1809. His parents were Asa C., and Maggie Campbell. Mr. Campbell settled in Richland township in January, 1865, locating on section 15, where he now resides. His farm consists of eighty acres of land, all under good cultivation. In August, 1859, Mr. Campbell was married to Miss Lottie E. Frayer, who bore him two children: Susan and Amanda. In politics Mr. Campbell is a Democrat.
Samuel Gould is a native of England, born in Somerset shire, on the 9th of July, 1839. In 1852, he came to America, and for two years he was engaged in farming near Newbridge, New York. He then came west to Mapleton, Waukesha county, Wisconsin, remaining until 1858. He then located in Rock county, Wisconsin, and in September, 1861, he enlisted in Company B, 13thWisconsin Infantry, serving until honorably discharged at Madison, Wisconsin, December 25, 1864. He then returned to Rock county, and, in February, 1865, came to Tama county, settling where he now lives, on section17, Richland township. He now has a farm of 160 acres, all under good cultivation. Samuel is a son of George and Sarah (Durston) Gould. He was married in February, 1865, to Miss Ellen Lawson, a native of the Isle of Mann. Two children, Nellie and Samuel, bless this union.
Isaac R. Morford is a native of Pennsylvania, born in Greene county, on the25th of December, 1836. He is a son of Jesse and Elizabeth (Nicewaner) Morford. He remained in his native county until he attained his majority, then spent some time in Indiana, and in 1859, came to Johnson county, Iowa, remaining in that and Linn counties until 1865. He then spent one year in Benton county and in 1866, came to Tama county and settled where he now lives, on section 26, of Richland township, and now owns a farm of 250 acres. Mr. Morford has always taken an active part in school affairs and has held several of the school offices. On the 29th of March, 1860, he was married to Miss Mary M. Ferneau, a native of Ohio. They have nine children: Clara, Eveline, Brinton M., Newton I., Orville H., Byron L., Mary A., Winifred and Benjamin. Clara, their oldest child, is at Redman, York township. She has taught six terms of school and holds a first grade certificate. Brinton M. is now attending school in Chelsea, preparing to enter college. When Mr. Morford came to Iowa he had but six dollars. For one year he hired to work on a farm in Benton county, then for seven years rented and worked land in Johnson and Linn counties. When he entered his land in Tama county he could get no house to live in, so for a year, rented a small farm in Benton county; then built a frame house on his own land, to which he moved and at once began making improvements. Mr. Morford has a fine farm and is largely engaged in stock-raising, at which he has made considerable money. Although he came to the county with but little means, he has, by hard work and careful management, succeeded in accumulating a comfortable competency. Mr. Morford is a genial, kind-hearted gentleman and enjoys the respect of all who know him.
Liberty Coolidge was born in Orford county, Maine, May 12, 1830. He is a son of Aaron and Polly (Bigelow) Coolidge. His grandfather, Joseph Coolidge, was a soldier in the Revolution, and fought at the battle of Bunker Hill. He was a very patriotic man, and at the birth of the subject of this sketch and a twin brother, he declared that they must be named Liberty and Freedom, and they were accordingly so named. Liberty was raised on a farm, receiving a good common school education, and in 1851, came west to La Crosse county, Wisconsin. He remained there three years, and then returned to Maine, where he remained one year, and in the fall of 1855, came west again, to Illinois, and in 1857, he was married to Miss Mary H. Thayer, a native of Boston, Massachusetts. She bore him five children, two of whom are living--Walter and Willie. In April, 1867, Mr. Coolidge came to Tama county, locating on section 33, Richland township, where he now owns 120 acres of land. In politics he is a Republican, and is now serving his third term as Township Trustee.
J. A. Thompson was born in Columbiana county, Ohio, February 22, 1819. He is the son of Thomas Thompson, a native of Maryland, and Nancy (Denstout) Thompson, a native of Pennsylvania. He bought a farm in the neighborhood, and lived in Pennsylvania till 1867, when he came to Tama county and settled on section 27, Richland township, where he now owns a fine farm of 180 acres. He was married on October 10, 1848, to Miss Amanda M. Hillis, a native of Columbiana county, Ohio. Five children have blessed this union: Charles D., Frank P., Mary P., David G. and John J. Mrs. Thompson died September 16, 1872. On the 19th of February, 1874, Mr. Thompson married his second wife, Grace Jackman, a native of Devonshire, England. She bore him one child--Jessie J. His wife is a daughter of Thomas and Ann (Powlesland) Jackman, both natives of England, and came to America with her parents in1849.
John K. Gray is a native of England, born June 3, 1831. His father moved his family to America in 1835, settling in the town of Gambier, Knox county, Ohio, where he studied for the ministry. In 1850, the father moved, going to Cincinnati, where he had charge of the city missions until his death, in1880. John K. remained in Knox county until 1868. He was married in 1853, to Miss Maria Underwood, a native of Ohio. On leaving Ohio, Mr. Gray came to Tama county, Iowa, and settled on section 27, in Richland township, where he now owns a farm of 130 acres. He has six children: Richard H., Daniel U., John K., Mary E., Alfred V. and Agnes M. Mrs. Gray died January 12,1874. On the 21st of September, 1881, he married Etta Showen, and she has borne him one child--Jesse H.
G. W. Walker, son of James and Mary (Laird) Walker, was born in Pittsburg, Pa., July 31, 1827. His father died in 1834, and G. W., at eleven years of age, began work in a rolling mill to help support his widowed mother. He afterwards worked as a cabin boy on steamboats, and later was employed in a glass factory. During his early life his ambition was to become an engineer, and at the age of eighteen, began working at that trade on Ohio and Mississippi river steamboats. This he followed until September, 1861, when he enlisted in the United States Navy, receiving a commission as Third Master; he afterwards resigned, and accepted a position as first assistant engineer on the gunboat Carondolet, in the Mississippi river squadron. He was later promoted to the chief engineership, with the rank of Lieutenant Commander, and was consigned to duty on the flagship Black Hawk, under Rear-admiral Porter. He served in that capacity until February 12, 1866, when he was honorably discharged, receiving at that time a letter of praise for efficiency and trustworthiness from Captain K. R. Breese, which was approved of and countersigned by Rear-admiral D. D. Porter. After leaving the service, he followed engineering for one year, when he located at Omaha, Nebraska, and engaged in the machinery business. In the spring of 1870, he came to Tama county, and settled on section 29, Richland township, where he now owns a fine farm of 400 acres. In 1861, he was joined in marriage with Mrs. Elizabeth Dorris, formerly Elizabeth Brigham. She is a daughter of Moses W., and Margaret (Connelly) Brigham, of Kentucky. Mr. and Mrs. Walker are the parents of five children: James and Sherman, born at St. Louis, Missouri, Porter and George, born in Omaha, Nebraska, and Mary E., born in Tama county, Iowa.
The first death in the township was Elvira, a daughter of Hiram Hatfield. She died October 13, 1854.
The second death was that of James Hatfield, who died October 23, 1854.
The first marriage was E. H. Price, to Sarah Hatfield, in June, 1855. These parties now live at Tama City.
The first white child born within the limits of this township occurred before any actual settlement was effected. Mr. Sprague, and Indian agency, was moving his family to his agency during the winter of 1850, and while passing through what is now Richland, camped one night on the ice on the Iowa river, near the mouth of Richland creek, and here the child was born.
Henry McMillan was killed by a falling tree on the southeast quarter of the southeast quarter of section 10, on the 29th day of December, 1854.
During the holidays of 1868, from the accidental discharge of a gun, Philip Clement received a wound from which he died in a few days, and was buried at Toledo.
The first interment in the cemetery on the southwest quarter of section 9, was the remains of Henry McMillen, who died December 29, 1854.
Samuel Elliott was drowned in a pond near Richland creek on section 22, in June, 1867, while in bathing on the Sabbath day.
Charles Gilbert of Toledo, was drowned in the Iowa river, in June, 1875, on section 10. He was fishing, and his boat becoming unmanageable, went over the dam.
Richland township was organized in 1854. Among those who have, since organization, been prominent in township affairs, and have held the various offices have been the following:
Justices: G. Marshall, C. Hanna, N. F. Taylor, W. Bale, C. Homan, N. B. Hiatt, G. Hollenbeck, L. H. Beadle, D. Forker, A. H. Hisey, T. A. Bourner, J. B. Louthan, H. Sabin, H. Cory, F. H. Ramsdell and Charles Flint.
Trustees: E. Dexter, J. Ramsdell, J. Flathers, N. B. Hiatt, J. B. Louthan, A. Wildinson, H. L. Barnes, J. W. Hiatt, L. H. Beadle, P. Rich, H. Davenport, E. Hatfield, A. Hatfield, I. W. Graham, G. Reed, C. Barnes, J. W. Clem, T. Forker, H. Clay, H. Sabin, S. Gould, G. Hollenbeck, J. Gray, J. F. Cram, L. Coolidge, J. J. Huston, O. McKeen, G. W. Bale, E. A. and C. A. Flint, J. S. Smith, J. Hiatt, L. Coolidge, J. Reed and Charles Barnes.
Clerks: J. Marshall, C. Homan, J. Hoag, N. F. Taylor, R. M. Clem, S. Lewis, T. A. Hopkins, A. Beadle, S. Jackman, H. Sabin, and J. F. Cram.
The present officers of the township are: Assessor, George Reed; Justice, Charles Flint. Trustees, Liberty Coolidge, J. Reed and Charles Barnes; Clerk, J. F. Cram.
A saw mill was built near where the Helena grist mill now stands, in 1856, by E. Dexter; with this mill was machinery for grinding corn. Mr. Dexter sold out to B. F. Crenshaw and it was torn down in 1865. A saw and manufacturing mill was brought to Tama county in 1875 by F. A. Bomer and located on Richland creek. They do sawing and manufacture boys sleds, half-bushels, cheese boxes, and grain registers and do a business of $6,000 annually.
F. A. Bomer was born in Beverly, Essex county, Massachusetts, on the 22nd of February, 1821, his parents being John S. and Abigail (Friend) Bomer. His early life was spent in his native town and in the city of Salem, learning the joiner's trade. In 1845, he was joined in wedlock to Miss Hannah J. Putnam, of Danvers, Essex county, Massachusetts; a descendant of General Israel Putnam, of revolutionary fame. Mr. Bomer came west to Cleveland, Ohio, in 1847, where he was engaged in manufacturing agricultural implements. In 1870, he came to Tama county, Iowa, settling on section 24, Richland township, and engaged in manufacturing on a small scale in connection with farming. He was the first in the state to manufacture grain measures, boys' sleighs, cheese boxes and goods of that class. He followed this occupation until 1878, when he turned his business over to his three sons named below, who still continue it under the firm name of Bomer Brothers. Mr. Bomer is a Republican in politics and has held the office of Justice of the Peace. Mr. and Mrs. Bomer are members of the Universalist Church, and for the past five years, Mr. Bomer has been Treasurer of the State Convention of that denomination. He is an active worker in soliciting funds for said Convention. Mr. and Mrs. Bomer have five children--Ella Putnam, wife of Judson S. McNall; Eben P., John S., Joseph E. and Carrie.
The first school in this township was taught by James Hanna, during the winter of 1855-6, in a log house owned by Mr. Davenport on section 22. There were at that time twenty scholars of school age in the township. It was a subscription school and had an average attendance of fifteen. Since that time school houses have been built, and the following record shows that the people of this township have not been unmindful of the wants of the children, and the necessity of furnishing to all an opportunity to secure an education.
District No. 1--The first house in this district was built in 1857, on the southeast quarter of section 14. The first school was taught here by David Caldwell, in the winter of 1857-8. The present school building was erected in 1868, on the southwest quarter of section 14, at a cost of $650. There are now forty-three scholars in the district. The average attendance at the last term was thirty. There was at one time seventy scholars in this district.
District No.2--The first school house in this district was erected in 1857,on section 16, at a cost of $600. This house was burned in 1856, and the following year the school building now in use was erected.
District No.4--The first school house built in this district was in 1868, on the northwest corner of section 32. The first school was taught by Thomas Hopkins, in 1868-9. The present school house was erected in 1882, at a cost of $778.85, and is located on the northeast corner of section 31.
District No. 5--This district includes within its limits the village of Haven. The first school building was erected in 1856, on the southeast quarter of section 21. The present school house was built in 1872, at a cost of $1100.
District No. 6--The school house in this district was built during the summer of 1870, and is located on the southwest quarter of the southeast quarter of section 26. The first school taught here was in the house of Hulbert Carpenter, on section 35, during the summer of 1866. School was afterward held at the residence of Orin McKeen, until the school house was built.
A church building was erected by the people of Haven and vicinity, in 1868, for a Union Church to be used by all religious societies for worship. It was built at a cost of $1,100. This is the only church building in the township. The Free Will Baptist Society was organized in June 1862, by Elder Wilkins, of Toledo. Among the first members were H. L. Barnes and wife, James Brown and two daughters, Elias Hatfield and wife, J. C. Barrett and wife, Mrs. Elizabeth Flint, Thomas Skyles and Hiram Layton and wife. The Society was organized at the school house in Haven. Elder Wilkins remained pastor for about five years, preaching once every two weeks. Then came Charles B. Messer, of Toledo, who remained until 1872. Since that time they have not had any regular pastor, or regular meetings.
A Methodist Episcopal Society was organized during the winter of 1864-5, by Rev. Jacob Haymond, at the school house in Eureka. Among the first members were Israel Reed and wife, John Lawson and wife, J. F. Cram and wife and Rev. Talmage and wife. The first regular pastor was Rev. C. A. Hawn, who supplied the pulpit at Helena, Grand View and Columbia. He was succeeded by Labin Winsett, then, Rev. A. N. See. Since that time, the following have had charge: George Raines, Rev. Snyder, W. H. Miller, Rev. Ward, W. J. Robinson, Horace Foote, J. G. Wilkinson and H. C. Stuntz. The pulpit is now supplied from Chelsea, and services are held every Sabbath. Meetings were held in the school house until the church was built. There is now a membership of twenty-five.
A Union Sabbath school was organized in 1860, with H. L. Barnes as first Superintendent. It has a membership of fifty, and George Brown is the present Superintendent. At one time the membership reached one hundred, but so many have left the neighborhood, it has been reduced to its present number.
A Methodist Society was organized at Helena postoffice, by Rev. John Dunton, in 1855. Among the first members were Christopher Hanna and wife, James Hanna and wife, Benjamin Gray and wife, William Pickett and wife and J. B. Louthan and wife. This organization was discontinued in 1861; but in the winter of 1864, was re-organized by Rev. Jacob Haymond, who remained in charge for a time. He was followed by J. C. Haun and A. N. See. Services were continued until 1870, when the Society united with the organization at Haven.
The United Brethren organized a Class at Helena postoffice, in 1870, Rev. Davis officiating. Among the first members were O. B. Smith and wife, Mrs. Ellen Clay and John Evans and wife. The membership increased rapidly, and at one time they had a membership of ninety. They held meetings in the Helena school house about six years, when they were discontinued. A Sabbath school was organized in connection with this Church, with P. D. Smith as first Superintendent. This school was also discontinued at the same time.
The Baptists effected an organization at Helena, through Rev. George G. Edwards, in 1856. Among the first members were John Hiatt and wife, Daniel Clement and wife, Newton Hiatt and wife, N. F. Taylor and wife, Mrs William Hiatt and John Herbage and wife. Services were held by this Society until 1861, when they disbanded. They re-organized in 1864, and continued inexistence until 1870, when the meetings were discontinued.
A cemetery was located on the northwest corner of section 29, at an early day. The first interment there was Elvira, a daughter of Hiram Hatfield and wife, who died October 13, 1854. The cemetery was re-located in the spring of 1865, on the northeast corner of the northwest quarter of section 28, and the first burial on these grounds was a daughter of Daniel Fork and wife, who died in May, 1865.
VILLAGE OF EUREKA.
This place was platted in 1854 by James Marshall. In 1856, Lewis S. Snyder built a store and commenced merchandising. He remained in business here until 1860. The building is now used for a barn. After this the town was without a store for some time, when Mr. Merrick opened a small store and continued the business about three years. Others have since engaged in business here for brief periods and at one time there were two good substantial business houses in the Village. At present there is but one, that of A. R. Gage, who established his trade here in 1870. The name of the town was changed to Haven July 1, 1874. During the spring of 1855, Barrett & Marshall built a steam saw mill, and continued to run it until 1860, when it was burned down.
The first blacksmith to locate here was John McGill, who came in the fall of 1855 and remained about four years. At the present time there are two blacksmith shops in the Village, run by Adam Hart and Dwight Wilcox.
Eureka postoffice was established in 1856, and William Strong was appointed first postmaster. It was not, at this time of any mail route, but mail was carried from Helena, the carrier being paid by private subscription. There being another office of the same name in the State, this one was discontinued and in 1872, the postoffice of Haven was established and L. H. Beadle was appointed first postmaster. He was succeeded, January 6, 1874, by Ambrose R. Gage, the incumbent. The office is now on a route from Tama City.
VILLAGE OF HELENA.
This village was platted in 1854, by James Clem on section 9 and 10. A store was opened by Mr. Wilcox in a log house owned by N. B. Hiatt in the spring of 1857. He only remained in business until fall.
In 1859, Lewis Vogel opened a store, and had a wagon shop in the rear of the building. He continued the business until his death in 1863. His widow continued the business, and, in 1865, was again married.
A blacksmith shop was opened by David Clement on section 23, in 1854, where he remained but a short time, and then moved to Helena and worked at his trade until 1863, when he enlisted in the army. He returned in 1865, but did not again open the shop.
Adam Hart opened a blacksmith shop in 1865, and remained until 1870. He is now doing business at Haven. There is not a blacksmith shop in the village at present.
Richard Crossley engaged in merchandising here in the fall of 1855. He did not keep much of a store, but kept his goods here and peddled them through the surrounding country. A shoe shop was started here in 1867, by Ludwig Schwerdtfeger who yet remains in the business.
This office was established a number of years ago, at the residence of B. F. Crenshaw, near the mill, on section 4. It supplies a large number of the settlers with mail.
A Mill was erected by B. F. Crenshaw, in 1861, located on the southeast quarter of the southeast quarter of section 4. It was run by water power and cost $10,000. It had two turbine water wheels and four run of buhrs. The building was two and a half stories high, and 30x50 feet in size.