"THE MEDICAL PROFESSION"
In all ages of the world, among civilized and uncivilized people, the medical profession has been held in high esteem. Whether it be the learned professor, who has studied the science of medicine in all its branches, or the “great medicine man” of the untutored savages, who from actual experience, has made discoveries of the healing powers of herbs and roots, honor awaits him upon every hand, while the life and death of every human being is virtually paced in his keeping. The weary patient lying upon a bed of pain, and no less weary watcher by his side, wait anxiously for the coming of the “good doctor, “ and, on his arrival, note his every movement and every expression of countenance for a ray of hope.
The medical fraternity of Tama county have, with few, if any exceptions, been an honor to the profession. They have ever been ready to respond to the call of duty. The winter’s cold, the summer’s heat, or the rains of spring and autumn could not keep them back when the cry of distress reached their ears. Not a physician in the county, especially among those who settled here at an early day, but has experienced sufferings that would have deterred those in any other profession, in response to the summons to attend the bedside of a sick and suffering one. They have been compelled to cross trackless prairies, to face blizzards form the north, often with no hope of fee or reward, but only, if possible, to relieve those who plead for their care. All this has been done by the physicians of Tama county without complaint. If the good deeds of the profession are not remembered by those who have received aid, a time will come when they will be remembered.
In the following review of the medical profession in the various towns and cities of the county, some of the most prominent doctors who have practiced only for a time, will be noticed first, and then the representatives of the profession in 1883.
FIRST PHYSICIANS IN THE COUNTY.
The first physicians to locate in Tama county were Wesley A. Daniel, Dr. Patty and Tallman Chase.
Wesley A. DANIEL, came to Tama county from Ohio, in 1853, and located where the village of Buckingham was located. He was the first surveyor of Tama county, and has been a prominent man. He still lives in Buckingham, and is beloved and respected by all who know him.
Dr. DANIEL was born October 9, 1825, in Franklin county, Ohio, and in 1843, moved with his parents to Boone county, Illinois. He commenced the study of medicine in 1849, and attended Rush Medical College, at Chicago, in 1852 and 1853. After his settlement in tama county, Dr. Daniel devoted himself to the practice of medicine, but as the country was new, and population scarce, his time was not fully occupied by his profession, and he served four years as County Surveyor, practicing medicine as occasion required. After his second term of office expired he devoted his whole attention to the practice of his profession. The population of the county had been greatly increased, the territory was large, and the rides were long and arduous as there were no other physicians in the county. November 10, 1858, Dr. Daniel was married to Miss Janet Gordon. In the summer of 1859, the Doctor went to Pike’s Peak, where he remained some time. In 1864, he received a commission as assistant Surgeon in the Twenty-fourth Iowa Infantry, and joined the regiment at Berryville, Virginia, and was mustered into the service, September 15, participating in the battles of Winchester, Fisher’s Hill, Cedar Creek, and saw Sheridan come in from his famous ride from “Winchester twenty miles away.” January 5, 1865, he received his commission as surgeon and continued with the regiment in all its subsequent movements from Virginia to Baltimore, thence to Savannah and Augusta, Georgia, in North and South Carolina, being mustered out of service at Savannah, Georgia, in July 1865, receiving pay and discharge at Davenport, Iowa, in August. The Doctor at once went home, reaching there on the 17th of August, having been absent just one year to a day. After returning from the war, he continued the practice of medicine until about 1881, since which time, he has led a less busy life by retiring from practice and devoting his time to his farm, where he has lived during the past thirty years.
Dr. PATTY came to Tama county in 1853, and stopped for a time with J. H. Hollen, on the site now occupied by Tama City. In 1854 he opened a little drug store, the particulars of which are given in the judicial chapter. The store was soon attached, and was sold by the Constable. J. H. Hollen bid in the books and medicines, part of which were afterwards purchased by Dr. H. T. Baldy. Dr. Patty left eh county soon afterwards.
Dr. Tallman CHASE was a native of Ohio, and came to Tama county early in 1853, locating upon a farm in Toledo township. He was a man of intelligence and education, having practiced his profession in his native State. At the time Tama county effected a temporary organization in the spring of 1853, he was elected County Judge, but did not qualify.
TAMA CITY PHYSICIANS.
One of the first physicians to locate and begin practice in Tama City was Dr. M. S. Butler. Since then the following members of the profession have been in practice at that place: Drs. Parsons, A. W. Thompson, Williams, H. W. Boynton, L. H. Cary, Adams, W. T. Plumb, One of the first physicians to locate and begin practice in Tama City was Dr. M. S. Butler. Since then the following members of the profession have been in practice at that place: Drs.Parsons, A. W. Thompson, Williams, H. W. Boynton, L. H. Cary, Adams, W. T. Plumb, Myrick, Harry Weller, A. Ford, F. w. Goding, Dentist; O. W. Goding, and others.
Dr. M. S. BUTLER, one of the first physicians in Tama City, located there in 1864, and remained until 1869. He came form Delaware county, and located in Toledo in 1860, and came from that place to Tama City. He was a married man, about thirty-two years of age; was a regular in practice, and had recently graduated. He secured a fair practice, and as a professional man, was liked very well, but socially, he was not very popular, owing to the fact that genialty was wanting in his disposition. It was not in his nature to be affiable and social, and he knew it, and tried hard to appear different from what he was. He was a good doctor, however, and in his practice was very successful.
Dr. PARSONS came to Tama City in the summer of 1867, and remained until 1869, when he went to Chelsea, remained until 1873, and again returned and practiced for a year and a half at Tama City. He came from Funday, New York, where he had been in practice; he was a regular graduate, and an excellent physician and surgeon. When he left here, he returned to Funday, New York, and resumed his old practice there.
Dr. A. W. THOMPSON located at Tama City, and remained a few months. He was a homeopathist, and did not secure very much practice.
Dr. WILLIAMS came to Tama City in the latter part of May, 1870, and remained until July, when he went to Toledo, and remained there a short time. He was from Cleveland, Ohio, a regular and a graduate of the Cleveland Medical School. He had but little practice while here. For a time he was located at Waltham, but did not remain at one place long enough to do anything.
H. W. BOYNTON located in Tama City in the latter part of June, 1870, and remained for a few months. He was also located in Toledo for a time.
Dr. L. H. CARY, who is now a resident of Toledo, practiced in Tama City for a short time.
Dr. ADAMS located here in 1875, and remained about one year, as a partner of Dr. W. corns. He was a young married man, probably twenty-seven years of age, and came to this place from Mahaska county. He was a good doctor, a regular graduate of some medical college. From here he went back to Mahaska county, where he died of consumption in 1877. He was quiet and retiring in disposition, was well liked and secured a fair practice, considering the time he remained.
Dr. W. T. PLUMB, a relative of B. A. Hall, was engaged in the practice of medicine in Tama City for a short time. He is now in Marshall county, where he keeps a store and runs a postoffice, having given up the practice of his profession.
Dr. MYRICK located in Tama City, in `879, and remained until 1881. He came from Illinois, and from here went to some point in the northwestern part of Iowa.
Dr. Harry WELLER located at Tama City in 1880, and remained for several months. He came from Cedar Rapids and returned to that place. He was not a graduate when he came, but had attended one course of lectures at Louisville, Kentucky,and after leaving here, returned to Louisville long enough to graduate.
Dr. A. FORD came to Tama City at about the same time, and remained for about three months. He was a recent graduate of Rush Medical College, Chicago, but had been in practice for many years in the Pine regions of Michigan, and was probably fifty-five years of age at the time he came here. He had but little practice while here and returned to his native State. It is said by way of a joke, that when he came, he rather exposed, or to use a common phrase, "gave away " his inclinations by allowing to be seen a number of hard wood sicks, which he explained were "to make axe handles of."
Dr. F. W. GODING was a physician of Tama city. He was born in Hyde Park, Massachusetts, May 9, 1852. He was a son of A. L. and Lydia M. (Chandler) Goding. His mother was a cousin of Hon. Zachariah Chandler, and also of Hon. S. P. Chase. When ten years of age he removed with his parents to the city of Chicago. His classical education was obtained in the graded and high schools of that city, and at the Northwestern University, where he graduated with the class of 1877, receiving the degree of A. M. He studied medicine at the same institution, graduating from the medical department the same year; and in 1882, graduated from the Mercy Hospital. He at once began the practice of his profession in Chicago, but after a short time determined to seek a field of labor in some smaller town of the West; therefore, April 20, 1882, he located in Tama City, Iowa, where he remained for one year. Dr. Goding was editor for two years of the Blackberry Blade, a weekly paper published at Blackberry, Kane county, Illinois; he also taught school in that county seven years.
Dr. O. W. GODING was a dentist of Tama City. He was a native of Hyde Park, Massachusetts, where he was born May 12, 1857. When four years of age he removed with his parents to the city of Chicago, where he obtained a good education in the graded and high schools of that place. Subsequently he studied dentistry two years under Dr. E. H. Kilbourne, of Aurora, Illinois, who was President of the American Dental Association. He then began practicing his profession in that city. In April, 1882, he removed to Tama City, where he remained for one year.
In the spring of 1883, the medical profession was represented at Tama City by Drs. William Corns, Benjamin Thompson and C. H. Myers. The dental branch was represented by Dr. John Nicholson.
One of the best read physicians of Tama county, and one whose experience in surgery and medicine is probably greater than most men of his age, is Dr. WILLIAM CORNS. He is a native of Muskingum county, Ohio, born October 27, 1835. His parents were William and phoebe A. (Bagley) Corns. In May, 1837, his father's family removed to Muscatine coutny, Iowa, among the very earliest settlers of that county. The subjectof this sketch was reared on a farm, and his early educational advantages were such as the district schools afforded, though he could not attend even these uninterruptedly, but usually had the benefit of the winter terms, and attended at such other times as he could be spared from the farm work. In 1849 his father died, and William remained with his mother until nineteen years old, at which time he began life for himself by working on a farm as a laborer. During the spring of 1861, he began the study of medicine with Dr. Albert Ady, of West Liberty, Iowa. At this time young Corns had hardly a dollar to his name, but nevertheless, determined that with a stout heart and willing pair of hands he would work his way up, and become a physician. While with Dr. Ady he did the Chores for his board, and studied at such times as he could command,offentimes pouring over his books until the "wee sma' hours." In the fall of 1862, he entered the Keokuk Medical College,(now the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Keokuk) where he made his way by working in the Military Hospital. He graduated from there in July of 1863, and soon after was appointed a contract surgeon and given charge of a ward in the Military Hospital of Keokuk, which was known as the "Estes House Hospital." During his engagement there he attended other lectures, which greatly added to his store or information. April 1, 1865, in consequence of failying health, he was obliged to resign his position. He then came to Tama City, where he soon began the practice of medicine, and has since won for himself the enviable reputation of being one of the best medical counsellers of Central Iowa. He is a member of the State Medical Association, and is the examnining physician of Tama county for United States pensions. In August, 1863, Dr. Corns was united in marriage with Miss Isabel Hemperly, a native of Muscatine county, Iowa. Seven children bless the union - Flora, Kitty, Amos, William, Mabel, Charles and Emmett.
Dr. BENJAMIN THOMPSON, who has practiced medicine in Tama county for the past thirteen years is a native of Ohio, born in Wayne county on the 15th day of October, 1844. He is a son of James and Margaret (Makinson) Thompson. In 1851, his parents removed to Lee county, Iowa, and subsequently to Scott county. Benjamins's early youth was spent in attending the district schools during the winter season and helping his father with the farm work during the spring, summer and autumn. Later, he attended the high school at Davenport, and in 1864, began the study of medicine. He attended the Eclectic Medical College of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he graduated in March of 1870. Upon completing his education, Dr. Thompson returned to Iowa and soon after settled at Tama City, where he has since resided, and now enjoys an extended practice. In politics he is a Democrat and for the past eight years has been one of the city councilmen. He is a member of the Odd Fellow Lodge, number 7, of Davenport. The doctor is a member of the Tama county Medical Society, and now holds the responsible position of Surgeon for the southern Iowa lines, of the Chicago and Northwestern R. R. Company. In 1873, he was joined in wedlock with Miss Sylvia Parks, a native of Indiana. They have one daughter - Grace, born May 17, 1881.
Dr. C H. MYERS was born in Tioga Center, New York, January 2, 1857. The first seventeen years of his life were spent at home attending school after which he entered Waverly Institute, Waverly, New York, graduating after a three year course, with the class of 1877. While attending the above mentioned Institute he studied medicine with Dr. W. E. Johnson of that place. Subsequently he entered the department of Medicine and Surgery at the Michigan University, Ann Arbor, and was immediately detached as acting assistant to the professor of practical anatomy. Later, he was the successful candidate in competitive examination for the position of House Surgeon in the Homeopothic Medical Department and was transferred to the hospital of Homeopathic Medical College, where he had the honor of being a member of the graduating class of 1880. During August of that year he settled at Tama City, Iowa, where he is now located.
Dr. John NICHOLSON is one of the leading dentists of Tama county, and was the second of that profession to establish in Tama City. He is a native of Ohio, born in Belmont county, January 28, 1836. He is a son of Daniel S. and Martha (Beck) Nicholson. His father was a native of Pennsylvania and his mother of Virginia. The first twenty-five years of Dr. Nicholson’s life were passed on his father’s farm, and up to that time he had received but a common school education. At that date, however, he began the study of dentistry with his brother J. S., a prominent dentist of Independence, Iowa. He completed his studies with that brother and then formed a partnership with him, which lasted until his settlement in Tama City in 1867. Dr. Nicholson is the oldest practicing dentist in the town, and in fact, in the county. Since his location here he has remained alone until within the past year, when he associated himself with Dr. J. H. Dwight. In politics he is a Republican, and is a member of the I. O. O. F. of Tama City. During 1858, he was joined in wedlock with Miss Cynthia A. Doan, who also is a native of Ohio. Eight children have blessed their union, five of whom are now living: Milton V., Daniel Q., Rosa M., Oscar S. and Alta.
The medical profession of Toledo has been represented by some very good men and excellent physicians. Among those who have practiced there are Drs. T. L. Baldy, C. A. Leibrandt, Lorenzo Renz, Hiram Bunce, William Harkins, Edward Barton, J. B. Wing, William Bunce, M. S. Butler, W. P. Cunningham, D. K. Wier, W. R. Miller, Jeremiah Ball, H. W. Boynton, Jeremiah Ballard, Dr. Williams, and others.
DR. P. L. BALDY was the first regular graduate to locate at Toledo, the date of his arrival being June, 1854. He was a German descent, but was a native of Pennsylvania, born in September, 1814. He attended the Fairfield Medical School, graduated in 1835, and in February, 1836, removed to Constantine, St. Joseph county, Michigan, where he commenced practice, and remained for a number of years. In 1850, he took a trip to California, but returned within a year, and in 1853, went to Chicago, where he remained until June, 1854, when, as stated, he came west with his family, and located in Toledo. At once commencing practice, he did an immense business, nearly as long as he remained here. He was a man of great reading, quick perception, and of much more than ordinary ability; genial, of pleasant address and social, he made a great many friends among the pioneers. He remained in Toledo until 1863, when he removed to Council Bluffs, from there to St. Louis, near which city he died in February, 1873. His family has been scattered; he has one son living in California. Dr. P. L. Baldy was a brother of Dr. H. T. Baldy, an esteemed old settler of Tama county.
DR. C. A. LEIBRANDT came to Toledo and began the practice of medicine a short time after Dr. P. L. Baldy. He was a native of Ohio, a man with a family, about 35 years old. He was a regular in his practice and also claimed to be a dentist, although it is said that his work in that line in a good measure belied his word. He remained in Toledo for two or three years, when he went to Missouri, and has since been lost track of . In personal appearance, Dr. Leibrandt was rather fine looking, a little above medium height and stoutly built. He was sometimes a little overbearing and some facetious personage dubbed him “The Obstropulous.”
DR. LORENZO BENT, practice medicine in Toledo for about one year, coming here in the spring of 1855. He was of German descent, but a native of Pennsylvania. He was regular in his practice, but had had no drilling in the profession, having picked up what he knew by observation. He was about fifty-five years old at the time he came to Tama county, small in stature, and a cripple, one of his knees being stiff. From here he went to Nebraska and it is said was killed by Indians.
HIRAM BUNCE, M.D., came to Toledo in the spring of 1856, and was engaged in the practice of medicine until the time of his death in early war times. He was a native of Ohio, was a regular graduate in medicine. He brought his family with him. He was a good doctor for his time, an earnest, honest, straight-forward man; a member of the Congregational church. In personal appearance, he was medium sized, slender build and dark complexion.
DR. WILLIAM HARKINS, was a native of Ohio, who came to Toledo in the fall of 1856, started the first drug store in the city, remained one year and a half, and then returned to his old home in Ohio. He was apeculiar appearing man, was near-sighted, friendly and genial. He never practiced here but was called “Doctor,” and it is supposed had been at some time in active practice.
DR. EDWARD BARTON came to Toledo in the fall of 1856, and commenced practice, shortly afterwards purchasing Harkins’ drug store. He was a native of Ohio; had come West several years previous to the time mentioned and settled in Poweshiek county. He was a man about forty years of age, a graduate in medicine, was in good financial circumstances and had practiced about ten years. In about three years he returned to Poweshiek county, where he still lives. He was a pleasant, genial fellow and was well liked.
DR. J. B. WING was a native of Hanover, Massachusetts, born in 1814. In early live he moved to Virginia, and from thence to Lorain county, Ohio. He studied medicine in the Granville College, Ohio, and in 1856, came to Iowa and located in Tama county, where he engaged in practice and continued until the time of his death, which occurred March 17, 1876. He built up an extensive practice and was a wise counselor and skillful physician.
In 1858, DR. WILLIAM BUNCE, a son of Hiram, was in Toledo and practiced with his father. After leaving here he was for a time in Davenport, but when last heard from was in Ohio.
Just before DR. HIRAM BUNCE died, he influenced Dr. E. P. Hunter to come from Ohio, and the two went into partnership. Hunter was a well educated and intelligent young man of about twenty-five years of age, a good doctor and a young man of more Than ordinary promise. He had a fair practice, but was in very moderate circumstances. After the death of Dr. Bunce, the whole business falling upon him he made long trips without sufficient clothing, caught a severe cold and died within a few weeks after his partner.
In 1860, Drs. Butler and Cunningham came to Toledo from Delaware county. M. S. BUTLER was a native of Ohio, a married man and about thirty years of age. For some time after his arrival he did not profess to practice, but ran a drug store. Then attended lectures, graduated and returned to Toledo, where he engaged in practice. when Tama City commenced springing up, he went to that place and remained there for some years, when he finally went to Cherokee county, where he still remains and is doing well. He was a man of easy habits, pleasant, genial, and a good talker. In personal make-up he was very tall and rather heavy set.
Dr. W. P. CUNNINGHAM had been in practice in Delaware county, and upon his arrival here, at once opened an office. He was alone in practice except a short time with Dr. Butler. He remained here until 1867, when he went to Kansas, where he has since died. He was a popular and very successful physician, practicing in the eclectic branch of the profession.
DR. D. K. WIER, a physician having no regular method of practice, located at Toledo, and practiced several years. He was, for a time, at Monticello and afterward at Toledo, where he remained a few years and then went to Missouri. He was a native of Pennsylvania, and brought his family here with him; was a man of medium build, dark complexion, put on a good deal of style and was a great hand to dance.
DR. W. R. MILLER, regular, located in Toledo about 1863, and was quite prominent in medical circles for a number of years. He came here from Waterloo; was a native of Pennsylvania; brought his family with him, and having already had much experience as a physician, at once opened an office and commenced practice. For several years he maintained a fair practice, but finally left the profession and engaged in mercantile pursuits, which he continued until the time of his death. He was a large, heavy man, and had an important bearing.
DR. JEREMIAH BALL, eclectic, came to Toledo from Eldora, about 1865, and commenced practice in partnership with Dr. J. N. Springer. He had been a traveling doctor and only remained here for a few years. He then went to Bangor, and from thence to Coldwater, Michigan. He was a small, dark complexioned man, quiet and retired in disposition and appeared to understand his business.
H. W. BOYNTON, M.D., a graduate of the Albany medical College, New York, came to Toledo from La Porte City, Iowa, in 1870, and remained for eleven years, when he went to Dakota. He was a native of New York, came to Iowa in 1861, and began the study of medicine with Dr. John Conaway, in Brooklyn, Poweshiek county. In August, 1863, he enlisted for the war in the Twenty-eighth Iowa Infantry, and served until the close of the war. In December, 1866, he graduated in medicine. He was a married man, well educated in his profession and was well liked. In personal appearance, he was of medium size, stoutly built, had light complexion and curly hair; and socially was a pleasant, affable gentleman.
DR. JEREMIAH BALLARD came to Toledo in 1880, and remained in practice for a short time. Dr. Boynton had gone to La Porte to attend to some property and Ballard was secured to come and take care of Dr. Boynton's patients. Ballard went from here to Monticello; from there to Garwin, when that town began to grow, and a few months later removed to Colorado, and it has since been reported that he was dead. He seemed to be a pretty well educated man, and had attended a course of lectures at Ann Arbor, Michigan, was a little fellow, wore a red mustache, and dressed "in fashion."
In January, 1888, the medical profession was being represented in Toledo by Drs. H. T. Baldy, L. H. Cary, J. N. Springer, S. Thompson, W. W. Souster, Jacob C. Joralemon and E. R. Smith. The dental branch was being represented by Dr. C. W. Miller.
HENRY T. BALDY, M. C., became a member of the medical profession of Tama county in November, 1854, and is the oldest Toledo physician. He is the son of Christian Baldy, a farmer, and Mary Tomlinson, and was born on the 29th of December, 1819, in Catawissa, Columbia county, Pennsylvania. The name is an Italian one, and was originally spelled Baldi. During the thirteenth or fourteenth century, the family were driven by wars from Italy to Germany, from whence the ancestors of Henry T. came to this country. About 1830, Christian Baldy moved to Sunbury; two years later to Newfane, Niagara county, New York, and in 1835, to White Pigeon Prairie, Michigan, the son aiding his father in all these places at farming, receiving only a common school education. In 1840, Henry T. concluded to become a physician, read medicine with an elder brother, Peter L. Baldy, at Constantine, Michigan; then seeing that his father was likely to lose his property unless he received aid, returned to the farm and worked four years, thus freeing the property from incumbrance (sic). He then resumed medical studies, attended lectures at the Rush Medical College, Chicago, in the winter of 1847-8, and the next winter at Louisville, Kentucky. Commenced practice at Constantine in February, 1850; and at the end of two years, went to California, doing poorly at mining but well at trading; returned in July, 1854, and the following November, located at Toledo, where he still lives. He was married in He was married in December, 1857, to Mrs. Elizabeth B. Miller. Dr. Baldy is rather below the average height of men, but is active, energetic and enterprising. He is a Republican with Whig antecedents, but of late years has done but little more than vote. Years ago, he was very active in politics, and in 1858, published the Toledo Tribune, the first paper in Tama county. He published the first delinquent tax list in the county.
L. H. CARY, M. D., was born in New Jersey in 1804; when ten years of age his parents emigrated to Knox county, Ohio, where he received a liberal education. When 2 years of age he commenced reading medicine, and in 1837-8 he attended lectures at Miami Medical College. In 1846, he graduated at Willoughby University. In 1848, he graduated at the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York. The Doctor was married in 1839, to Miss Martha Chamberlin. Of their children there are two living – Mary E. and Anna. In 1854, Dr. Carry emigrated to Iowa City, where he engaged in the mercantile business. In 1856, he came to Toledo, where he has since followed his profession.
J. N. SPRINGER, M. D., one of the pioneer physicians of the Northwest, was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, on the 30th of November, 1891. When a mere boy his parents emigrated to Orange county, Indiana, where his father engaged in farming and accumulated a large property. J. N. remained on his father’s farm until fourteen years of age, when he was sent to the State University at Bloomington. Here he spent two years, when his health failed, and he had to abandon his last nine months before graduating. At the age of twenty-two he entered the medical office of Drs. Harrison & White, at Paoli. In 1849, he attended lectures at the Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati, Ohio, graduating in 1852. After leaving school, he again entered the office of his former preceptors, where he remained two years. In September, 1847, he went to Whiteside county, purchased land and opened up a farm. In the spring of 1851, he sold his land, returned to Indiana on a visit, and the following fall returned to Illinois, where he commenced the practice of medicine. He practiced here for some time, then spent two years from 1854 to 1856, in Benton county, Iowa; after which, he went to Illinois, and in 1857, engaged in practice in Lawrence county, Indiana, remaining there until September, 1861. At this time he returned to Whiteside county, Illinois, where he practiced his profession until May, 1865, then came to Toledo, Iowa, and continued in practice until 1872; since which time he has been chiefly engaged in the drug trade. The Doctor was married, in 1845, to Miss Rachel Vest, who was born in Orange county, Indiana, May 27, 1926. Mr. and Mrs. Springer have three children living – Newton F., George L. and Ida M. The doctor has been identified with the county for many years, and has taken a lively interest in everything pertaining to its welfare. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, a Sir Knight of Belle Plaine Lodge, and a member of the Chapter of Tama City.
S. THOMPSON, M. D., is one of the leading physicians of Tama county. He is the son of James and Jane (Callen) Thompson, who resided in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, where their son was born on the 2d of March, 1844. When a small boy his parents emigrated to Meadville, Crawford county, where the doctor grew to manhood. His preparatory education was received in the common schools, but he afterward attended Alleghany College for a few years. In 1862, he came west as far as Cedar Rapids, Linn county, Iowa, where he entered the office of Dr. E. L. Mansfield, and pursued his studies for three years. In the meantime he attended lectures at Michigan University, in Ann Arbor. In 1865, he came to Toledo, Tama county, where he commenced practicing in Toledo, Iowa. Since 1867, he also attended the University of New York City and Belevue Hospital. Dr. Thompson is a man of independent thought, and has by his pure and upright life, attracted many warm friends, gaining the confidence and esteem of all with whom he has had to deal. He has been a man of the people, and to this, together with the fact that he has been true to the highest principles of honor and morality, may be attributed his success in his life work. In January 1869, Miss Adelaide Hollen, daughter of J. H. C. Hollen, of Tama City, became his wife. They had two children, one of whom is living. The doctor is a member of the Masonic Fraternity of Toledo.
W. W. SOUSTER, M. D. , of Toledo, Tama county is a native of Waupon, Wisconsin, born on the 3d of May, 1852. His parents were Thomas Souster and Ann Eliza (Wood) Souster, of English descent. W. W., the oldest of five sons, was educated in the common schools and in the Academy at Keithsburg, Illinois. At the age of seventeen years he commenced reading medicine in the office of Dr. C. S. Hollingsworth, in Keithsburg, where he prosecuted his studies for four years, and in the meantime attended lectures at Hahneman College, where he graduated in 1871, and then for two years remained at home. In 1873, he came to Toledo, where he commenced the practice of his profession. The doctor is a young man of much ability, a close student, and is making a success of his life work. The doctor is a member of the Hahneman Medical Association of Iowa, also of the Iowa Valley Homeopathic Medical Association, and is now Vice-resident of that society. He was one of the charger members of the Ancient Order of United Workmen of Toledo Lodge No. 23, and has been Medical Examiner of that association since its organization. He is also a member of the Knights of Pythias, Marmion Lodge, No. 78.
JACOB C. JORALEMON, M. D. a practicing physician of Toldeo, was born December 8, 1832, at Passaie, four miles below Patterosn, New Jersey. His parents were Cornelius and Phoebe (Vreeland) Joralemon, both of whom were natives of New Jersey. His father was a house and ship joiner by trade, and was mainly engaged in ship building. When Jacob was four years of age, his parents moved to Brooklyn, New York, where he received the advantages of a public school education. When of sufficient age he was apprenticed to learn the painter’s trade, and after serving an apprenticeship of three years, he was made foreman of Bernard Crystal’s painting establishment. This business, however, did not agree with him, so he decided to adopt a sailor’s life, and while on the sea began the study of medicine. In 1860, he left the water, and on the day when Lincoln was first elected, started on a trip through the west. He remained in Illinois but one year, then returned to New York City intending to enter the United States Navy, but changed his mind and shipped before the mast on a vessel bound for South America. After his return he was sailing mate for J. & J. Eager of New York City, under Captain W. B. La Farge. In 1861, Mr. Joralemon left the ocean for good and came west, locating in McLean county, Illinois, where he engaged in the drug business and followed the practice of medicine. In 1876, he graduated from Rush Medical College, Chicago, and then resumed his practice in McLean county. In 1878, he moved to Toledo, Iowa, and has since been engaged in the practice of his profession. Mr. Joralemon was married in 1863, to Mrs. Sarah Capell, daughter of Uz and Rhoda (Bonnum) Nobles, and widow of Theodore Capell. She had two children by her former husband – Frank and Hattie. Her father has been dead for some years; her mother is now living in Harrison, Ohio. Mrs. Joralemon’s parents were early settlers of Cincinnatti, Ohio, coming to that place when but nine log cabins constituted the city. She is a member of the Presbyterian church. Dr. Joralemon has been in Toledo but a few years, yet he has succeeded in building up a large and lucrative practice. He is deeply attached to his profession and having the advantage of a long experience, he meets with good success.
E. R. SMITH, M.D., was born in Venango county, Pennsylvania, October 4, 1851. His parents were William and Cynthia Smith, now of Andalusia, Rock Island county, Illinois. His father is the son of Salmon Smith, who was born near the City of Rochester, New York, in 1800, and died in Wisconsin in 1873. His ancestors were among the first settlers of the American colonies. Salmon Smith was a Methodist minister of some prominence, and an early abolitionist. His mother’s name was Avery, born in Vermont, and died aged about thirty. She was the daughter of an old Revolutionary soldier, whose family came to this country with the Puritans. The Doctor’s grandparents were married, and resided for a number of years, in New York State, where his father was born on the shore of Lake Chantauzua, January 18, 1826. In 1830, they removed with their three children to Ashtabula county, Ohio, where they remained until 1840; then moved to Venango county, Pennsylvania. Dr. Smith’s mother, Cynthia Smith was born in Canada on the 20th of May, 1829. Her father, Francis Smith, was born in Ireland and came to America in childhood; her mother was of German descent. They both died a number of years since, at advanced ages. The father and mother were married in Warren county, Pennsylvania on the 18th of December, 1848. They lived in Venango county until 1855, owning one of the first farms upon which petroleum was found. Here E. R. and his brother, Dr. Frank S. Smith, now of Elberon, this county, were born. From 1855 until 1860, they lived in Wisconsin, then removed to Buffalo, Scott county, Iowa, and in the following spring, moved to Andalusia, Illinois, where they now reside, aged respectively fifty-seven and fifty-four years, and are passing their days in ease and contentment. His father is now, and has been for the most part of his life, engaged in the manufacture and sale of lumber. He has often been honored with positions of trust by his fellow-townsmen. Dr. Smith has three brothers and one sister – Frank S. Smith, M. C., now of Elberon; Walter C. Smith, at the present time residing at Andalusia; and Nellie M., and William C., living at home. Dr. E. R. Smith received his education at the public school, and at Knox and Westfield College, in Illinois. He commenced professional studies with Dr. James Cozad, of Andalusia, an old army surgeon and physician of experience. He remained with Dr. Cozad four years, and in the meantime was for one year a matriculant of the medical department of the Iowa State University, and of Rush Medical College, Chicago, graduating at the latter receiving the degree of M. D., February 15, 1876, aged twenty-four years. The same spring he commenced the practice of his profession at Edgington, a country village adjoining Andalusia, in the families of neighbors, old associates and school-mates. He remained here for five years, doing an extensive practice, and having a hostof friends, from whom it was hard to separate, but scant social, school and church privileges, made it apparent that a new location, if wisely selected, would be to his advantage. Hence, in the spring of 1881, after looking over the inducements and advantages of other localities, he determined that Toledo, with her many enterprising citizens, good high school and churches, together with the fact that Western College was soon to be moved there, offered just the advantages he wished. Two years of life among the people have more than confirmed the wisdom of that choice.
Dr. Smith is a member of the Union Medical Association and of the Iowa and Illinois Central District Medical Society, form which he has been sent as delegate to the American Medical Association, as well as to several State Medical Societies. The doctor has kept abreast of the medical world, and has been abundantly successful in his practice and in making friends. Dr. Smith is a Republican in politics, and in addition to his professional business, has freely given his full share of time and means to advance the best interest of society. He is now, and has been for years, a teacher in Sunday school and class leader in the U. B. Church, also member of the executive committee of Western College. For the past two years he has been President of the Tama county Bible Society and of the Tama county branch of the W. C. T. U. He is also chairman of the Tama county Republican Central Committee, and in all these various positions he has brought the same powers to bear that he does in his own business, striving to be of service of mankind.
On June 23, 1876, Dr. Smith was married to Miss Kittie Thompson, of Andalusia, and daughter of H. S. Thompson, for twenty yeas his father’s partner in business. She was born, January 15, 1856, in Mercer county, Illinois, on the site where since has been built the town of Reynolds. Her mother was Mary M. Buffum. Both she and Mr. Thompson were among the early settlers of Rock Island county, and left behind them the friends and associations of more than a quarter of a century, when they came to Toledo, in May, 1881. Te Doctor’s marriage has, in every sense, been a happy and fortunate one. His wife has been a sharer of his joys, a good counselor in sorrow, and is one of earth’s choicest – a true wife, a good mother to five children of whom there are four living- Lucy, Mabel and Ruth, born in Edgington, and Etta born in Toledo.
C. W. Miller, dentist, of Toledo, was born in Ogle county, Illinois, on the 2nd of September, 1855. He is a son of S. S. Miller, of Washington county, Maryland, who emigrated with his family to Oagle county, Illinois, in 1842. His mother was Mary Baker. Mr. and Mrs. Miller were the parents of five sons. C. W. was reared as a farer boy and at the age of twenty-one he entered the office of Dr. B. B. Maydville, of Polo, Illinois, where he prosecuted his studies for two years. In May, 1878, he came to Toledo, and by close attention to business and fair dealing has built up a lucrative business. In politics he is a staunch Republican, keeping himself posted in all matters.
Prominent among those who have represented the medical profession in Traer are the names of Drs. W. A. Daniel, S. Waterbury, W. P. Smith, Warren Scott and Dr. Sawyer.
Dr. Wesley A. Daniel was the first physician to practice in this region. He has been located at Buckingham Village for thirty years, and his ride extended over all this portion of the county.
Dr. S. Waterbury was the first physician to locate in Traer proper. He came here from Kansas, in August, 1873, and remained here for seven or eight years, when he removed to Calhoun county, where he died. He was a married man, about forty years of age and a good physician.
Dr. W. P. Smith came here in 1874 and was associated with Dr. Waterbury. He was a graduate of Rush Medical College, Chicago. He remained here for one year, studying dentistry in the meantime, and finally went over to that business and moved to some point in the western part of the State.
Warren D. Scott came to Traer from Dewitt in November, 1877, and after remaining for several years went to New Mexico. He was a homeopathist and a graduate of Hahneman Medical College, of St. Louis.
Dr. Sawyer came to Traer in the fall of 1882, and remained for five or six months.
In the spring of 1883, the medical profession was represented in Traer y Drs. C. W. Ashton, J. P. Morison, Frank E. Whitley, E. M. Woolley, John A. Ladd, Dr. Parsons and Morris L. Cutler.
Dr. C. W. Ashton was the first homeopathic physician to locate in Traer. He came here in 1874, from Millville, Ohio. He was born in Northampton county, Pennsylvania, in 1841. The doctor studied medicine in Philadelphia, and also attended the Homeopathic Medical College in that city, graduating in 1871.
J. P. Morison, M. D., is a native of Canada, born in 1842. He graduated from the medical department of the University of Michigan, in 1868. After graduating, he practiced in Franklin county, New York, for some time, when he came to Iowa and located at Traer.
Frank E. Whitley, M. D., partner of Dr. Morison, was born in Chautauqua county, New York. He graduated at Rush Medical College, Chicago, in 1880, and in December, 1881, came to Traer.
Dr. E. M. Woolley bought the drug store of Dr. Daniel in 1875, and erected his present store building, which he has occupied since 1876. Dr. Woolley was born in Tompkins county, New York, in 1817. He went to Illinois in 1837, commencing the study of medicine in 1839, and was a member of the first class of the Rush Medical College, when that institution was just starting. Dr. Woolley began the practice of medicine in Boone county, Illinois, in 1845, and remained there twenty-two years. He was afterward engaged in the drug business at Belvidere. In 1865, Dr. Woolley came to Traer where he has since been located.
John A. Ladd, M. D., one of the best known physicians in Tama county, is a native of New York, born in Delaware county, October 29, 1830. His parents were also natives of Delaware county, New York. Dr. Ladd began the study of medicine with J. R. Leal, M. D., at Andes, Delaware county. He attended two courses of lectures at Berkshire College, Pittsfield, Massachusetts, and then spent two years in what was known as the Hartford Retreat, and insitution established for the more humane treatment of the insane. He then came to Keokuk, Iowa, in the winter of 1855-6, and entered the Medical Department of the State University, where he graduated the following spring. Mr. Ladd was then connected in practice with Prof. J. C. Hughes, of Keokuk, for about one year. He then went to Clinton county, this State, and practiced his profession until the breaking out of the war of the rebellion; then enlisted as a privat in the Twenty-sixth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, but was soon after commissioned as Assistant Surgeon of the First Iowa Cavalry Volunteers, in which capacity he served until in the fall of 1863, when he resigned. He then went to Hardin county, locating in Alden, in 1864, remaining but one year, when he went to Iowa Falls, and associated in practice with Dr. Foster, a well known physician of that place. Dr. Ladd remained in Iowa Falls until 1868, then removed to Buckingham, and January 20, 1868, removed to Traer. Dr. Ladd has an extensive practice, has an excellent record as a physician, and as a genial and polished gentleman. His wife was formerly Nancy E., daughter of Gain s Rose. Miss Ladd was born in Portage county, Ohio, and moved with her parents to Clinton county, Iowa, in 1854. They have six children - Ossian D., Fred. G., John H., Nellie E., Mabel M., and Nancy G.
Dr. Parsons, homeopthic physician, is a native of Vermont, born in 1848. In 1850, he came west to Wisconsin with his parents, and in 1862, moved to Waterloo, Black Hawk county, Iowa. He began the study of medicine in 1878, with Dr. G. F. Roberts of Waterloo, who is now a professor in the Chicago Homeopathic Medical College. Dr. Parsons graduated from that institution in 1881, and came to Traer the same spring.
Morris L. Cuther, M. D., partner of Dr. J. A. Ladd, is a native of Mitchell county, this State, born April 28, 1855. He graduated at the College of Physicians and Surgeons in February, 1878. Dr. Cuther first located at Adrian, Nobles county, Minnesota, where he practiced for about a year and a half. Moving from there to Albert Lea, he remained until January, 1883, when he became associated with Dr. Ladd in traer, January 15, 1883.
The medical profession of Dysart was first represented by C. L. Teats. Dr. W. O. Beam located at Dysart in 1878, and remained for several years. At present the medical profession is represented in Dysart by Drs. P. C. Jones, S. P. Black, and B. S. Louthan.
Dr. P. C. Jones, a practicing physician of Dysart, is a native of South Wales, England. He was born June 28, 1834. His early life was spent in that country, and there he received his classical education. During the spring of 1852, he came to America, and immediately settled in DeKalb county, Illinois. The following fall his parents also crossed the ocean, and followed their son to his new home. Upon their arrival the subject of this sketch began the study of medicine with his father, who was a physician. Subsequently he attended Rush Medical College, Chicago, and afterwards the University of Medicine and Surgery at Philadelphia, where he graduated with the class of 1872. Mr. Jones then located in Brown county, Wisconsin, where he practiced for a short time, and then removed to Iowa. He first spent some time in Wright county, and then came to Dysart, where he has since practiced, with the exception of four years spent in Watkins, Benton county, this State. The doctor is a Republican, is a member of the A. O. U. W., the Knights of Honor, and the I. L. of H., which latter he was instrumental in organizing in Dysart. His marriage with Miss S. A. Rhodes, of Madison, Wisconsin, occurred in April, 1864, at Whitewaterm, Walworth county, of that State. They have been blessed with four children, two boys and two girls - Birdie Ella, Millie Blanch, Frank L. and Courtland C. The two former are deceased.
The first physician to locate in Gladbrook was a Doctor Cummings. He came here in 1880, and "camped on the site" for two months while buildings were going up, "so as to be here." He is now in Dakota.
Dr. Davis, who had been practicing for several years at Union Grove, located at Gladbrook soon after the town started, and remained for one year, when he went to St. Paul, Nebraska.
Doctor Gray came from Badger Hill and located at Gladbrook. He remained only a few months.
Dr. A. F. Walter should also be noted in this connection. He was a graduate of the medical department of the Iowa State University.
In the spring of 1883, the medical profession was ably represented in Gladbrook by Drs. W. L. conant, J. H. Habenich and B. Benn.
W. L. Conant, M. D., is a native of Plymouth, Windsor county, Vermont, born January 19, 1825. He is a son of William and Liddie (Proctor) Conant. In 1836, the family removed to Kalamazoo county, Michigan, where the subject of this sketch was reared, receiving his education at the High School of Schoolcraft, same State. When about twenty years of age he learned the trade of carpenter and joiner, following the same for about seven years, and then spent two years in the pineries of Michigan. In the spring of 1855, he came to Tama county, settling on section nine in Carlton township, where he owned a farm of two hundred and forty acres of land, and which he has since divided between his two sons. In 1848, he commenced reading medicine with Dr. Romaine of Colon, Michigan, and on coming to Iowa he resumed his studies under the instruction of Dr. Holt, a homeopathic physician of Marshalltown, this State, which profession he has since followed. His practice in Tama county dated from 1865. On the 1st of January, 1864, Mr. Conant enlisted as private in Co. E. 24th Iowa Infantry Volunteers, went South, and was captured by the rebels at the battle of Mansfield, from whence he was taken to Tyler, Texas, being held prisoner at that place, Camp Gross and other points, until finally he was permitted to join his regiment at Davenport. He was discharged from the Union service on the 2d of August, 1865. When Carlton township was first organized Mr. Conant was elected one of the school directors, and since has served as President and Treasurer of the School Board, also has held the office of Constable for six years. Mr. Conant voted with the Whigs until the Republican party was organized, when he imbibed Republican principles, and has since voted with that party. Mr. Conant was married on the 30th day of December, 1847, to Miss Nancy Packer, daughter of Henry and Mary Ann (Vader) Packer, of St. Joseph county, Michigan, and natives of New Jersey. By this union there are five children living - Marion A., George W., Electa F., wife of Simmer O. Lord; Phebe J., and Amanda B.
Dr. B. Benn located in Gladbrook soon after the town started, and is still in practice there. He is an eclectic physician and surgeon, and understands his business.
J. H. Habenich, practicing physician of Gladbrook, is a native of Pesth Hungary, and was born in 1842. He is a son of Dr. Johann and Amalia (Mai) Habenich. He received his early education at the college of Leitmeritz, Bohemia, and completed it at the Universities of Prague and Leipsic. Subsequently, he practiced as a military surgeon in the army of Austria for four years, and in 1873, came to the United States. Dr. Habenich first located at St. Paul, Minnesota, where he practiced for a time, then followed his profession in Fayetteville, Texas, and from there went to Milwaukee, Wis. In 1882, he came to Gladbrook, this county, where he has since worked up a lucrative practice. Dr. Habenich was married in 1870, to Miss Francisca, a daughter of Seigmond Nenbiddshov, of Bohemia. They have been blessed with four children - Hedva, Elizabeth, Rosa and Narcis. Dr. Habenich in belief is a materialist and in politics is an Independent. Dr. Habenich served as Battery Surgeon in the Seventh regiment, Infantry Corps of Germany, in the Franco-Prussian war, and was present during the battle of Woerth, Sedan and others of miner importance.
PHYSICIANS OF CHELSEA.
The first disciple of the medical profession in Chelsea, was E. A. Stcokton, M. D., who located here in 1864. He was a successful physician and had considerable practice. He remained until 1878, when he went away and has not since been been heard from.
The present representative of the medical profession is Dr. J. S. Ormiston. He was born in Washington county, Ohio, August 14, 1847, and was reared on a farm, receiving a common school education. In 1866, he came to Iowa, followed farming until 1871, then started in the drug business in Brooklyn, Iowa, studying medicine at the same time under Dr. A. P. McCullough. He graduated from the Medical Department of the Iowa State University in 1876. In 1870, he was married to Miss Nancy E. McDonald, a native of Indiana. They have three children - Edward E., Minnie M. and Charles C. In 1876, Dr. Ormiston came to Chelsea and began the practice of medicine. He has a large practice, and is considered a successful physician and surgeon.
The medical profession here is well represented by Dr. Graham. Dr. J. H. Graham, M. D., came to Tama county with his parents, when he was but three months old. They settled at Redman, York township, and engaged in farming. J. H. was born in New York, in 1852. He was reared on his father's farm, and after leaving the common schools attended the Irving Institute for five years. He then took two courses at the Medical College at Keokuk, in 1878 and 1879. In March, 1879, he and his brother, Dr. J. W. Graham, came to the village of Garwin, opened an office, and engaged in the practice of medicine, remained in partnership until 1881, when J. W. went to Earle, Sac county, this State, where he is now engaged in the profession. J. H. is still practicing at Garwin. He was married in 1876, to Miss Ida Breckenridge, a native of Ohio. Their children are Freddie Robert and Roy. Dr. Graham is an active member of the V. A. S. Fraternity.
The first physician in Carlton township was Dr. J. S. Haynes, who came from Indiana and settled in section thirty-one, where he still lives.
The next was Dr. Hiram Welton, who came in July, 1855, and settled on section thirty-four. He remained there engaged in practice until 1877, since which time he has followed his profession in Indian Village township.
Sr. William Conant is also one of Carlton's physicians, and is one of the old settlers of Carlton township. He was born in Shirley, Middlesex county, Massachusetts, May 9, 1797. He grew to manhood in his native place receiving an academic education. In 1819, he went to Vermont, where he remained until 1839, alternately teaching school and attending a course of medical lectures. He next went to Michigan, where he lived until 1855, then came to Tama county and located on section three, Carlton township, which is still his home. Dr. Conant started out a Jackson Democrat, casting his first ballot for Andrew Jackson, at his (Jackson's) first election; but in later years Dr. Conant changed his political views and cast his last ballot for President Garfield. He has taken an active part in county and township affairs, having held the office of County Supervisor and several local offices. He was brought up a Congregationalist, but while in Michigan, he united with the Baptist Church, and is now a member of the Christian Church at Calton. Dr. Conant has been twice arried; first in 1824, in Vermont, to Miss Lydia Proctor, who bore him six children and died September 26, 1838. He was again united in marriage on March 1, 1840, to Mrs. Rosanna (Smith) Bradley, a native of Massachusetts, born March 16, 1802. She was a widow and had six children. Dr. and Mrs. Conant have been blessed with two children.
Frank S. Smith, M. D., represents the profession here. He was born July 31, 1853, in Venango county, Penn. While he was quite young, his parents started west, stopped for a short time in Michigan, and from there moved to Wisconsin, where they resided until the spring of 1860. His father the most of the time engaged in the lumber business. In the spring of 1860, the entire family embarked on a raft and after a quiet voyage of two weeks down the Mississippi river, landed on mile below Andalusia, Rock Island county, Illinois. They lived there one season, the father selling lumber, then they spent one wither in Buffalo, Scott county, Iowa; finally moving to Andalusia in the spring of 1862, where the father has been engaged in the lumber and grain trade ever since. Frank's early education was received in the public schools where his parents lived. He worked two seasons with a carpenter, and clerked one summer in Keighsburg for an Uncle and the next summer in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, for another Uncle. In the fall of 1870, in company with his older brother, he started for college at Westfield, Clark county, Illinois, and remained two years, then returned and engaged in teaching until the fall of 1874, when he went to Iowa City, and studied one college year in the University. He again followed teaching until the spring of 1876, when he went to Western College, Linn county, Iowa, and by standing examination on the studies he had pursued while teaching, and by doing an extra amount of work, was granted his degree in June, 1876. Again he returned to teaching becoming principal of South Moline, (Ill.) schools. Dr. Smith married December 25, 1878, to Miss Etta M. Dilling, of Western, Iowa, whose acquaintance he had made while both were students in college. She only lived about fifteen months, dying March 15, 1880, leaving a little girl, Etta Maude, born February 22, 1880. Mr. Smith closed school in Moline in June of the same year and put his whole time to the study of medicine, that he had been pursuing for some time in connection with his teaching. He went to Rush Medical College, Chicago, the winter terms of 1880-81; the spring of 1881 and winter term of 1881-82 and received the degree of M. D., February 21, 1882. After a short rest, he came to Toledo and practiced with his brother and preceptor, Dr. E. R. SMITH, until the last of September, 1882. He was married to Miss Ella M. Wells of Rock Island, Illinois, September 30, 1882, and immediately moved to Elberon. They have a comfortable home, and the Doctor is working up quite a large practice.
The first physician to locate at Butlerville, was Dr. E. N. WHIPPLE, who commenced practice there in the fall of 1855, and remained in that vicinity until about 1860.
Dr. CRENSHAW, a young physician of considerable ability, was in practice here during 1857 and 1858.
Dr. SHUGART also came about the same time, and remained for a number of years. He is now in California.
In 1859, Dr. J. H. STEVENS came to this place, and prescribed for the sick until 1862, when he entered the United States service.
Dr. JOHN DOE was engaged in the practice of medicine, and in merchantile trade, in Indiantown for a number of years.
The first physician to locate in Montour was H. C. HUTSON. At present the profession is represented by Drs. J. H. STEVENS and A. E. PECK.
Dr. J. H. STEVENS came to Tama county and engaged in practice at Butlerville, in October, 1859. In 1862, he was commissioned Assistant Surgeon of the Fourteenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and served as such until the regiment was mustered out of service. For two years after his discharge from the service, he was engaged in practice at Polo, Illinois, then returned to Tama county, and has since been located at Montour. Since 1872, he has carried on a drug business in connection with his practice. Mr. Stevens is a native of Delaware County, New York, born October 1, 1835, his parents being Selah M., and Eliza (Helm) Stevens. He commenced the study of medicine when eighteen years of age, and subsequently graduated from the Albany Medical College. Dr. Stevens was married in 1864, to Miss Addie M. Parsons, by whom he had six children—four now living: Carleton, Chauncey, John and Lois. Dr. Stevens is a member of the Masonic Fraternity and of the I. L. of H.
The first physician to locate in this township was Dr. JOHN B. LOUTHAN. He was a native of Virginia, and settled in the township in 1855, coming directly from Ohio, where he had been engaged to a great extent in the practice of the profession. Upon his arrival here, he at once began practice, and at the same time carried on a farm. He now lives in Dysart.
Dr. RICHARD W. APPLETON was born in Sunbury, Pennsylvania, December 21, 1821. He is a son of Christopher and Elizabeth (Hewetson) Appleton, who were natives of England, and who setled in America in 1819. In 1824, his father’s family removed to Wilkesbarre, pennsylvania, where they remained about five years, and thence to Bedford county.
In 1835, they removed to Lancaster county, and two years later, to Chester county. During the spring of 1838, they removed to New York State, spending the first two years in West Chester county, where his father was engaged in building the Croton aqueduct. In 1840, they located in Dutchess county, and to years later, the subject of this sketch settled in the State of Wisconsin. Subsequently he returned to Pennsylvania, when he studied medicine in the city of Philadelphia, and May 5, 1857, graduated from the Eclectic Medical College of Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia. Upon receiving his diploma, he practiced for a while in that city, and in 1860, returned to Wisconsis, locating in Dane county, where he practiced one year and then removed to Minnesota, where he spent another year. Dr. Appleton then came to Tama county, Iowa, locating at Haven, where he practiced his profession two years; then returned to Minnesota, and two years later, resettled at Haven, where he continued to live until 1877. During 1877, he settled on his farm of six hundred and forty acres, which lies just northeast of Tama City, abandoning his professional life to engage in agricultural pursuits. In 1882, Dr. Appleton platted what is known as Appleton’s Addition to Tama City—said addition containing about sixty acres of land. In politics he is a Republican; and in religion adheres to the Episcopal creed. he is a member of the Masonic Blazing Star Lodge of Haven, and also a member of Dorie Chapter, No. 54, Tama City. Dr. Appleton was married October 15, 1843, to Mary Wingatt Foss, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Fitcomb) Foss, natives of New Hampshire. Mrs. Appleton died January 8, 1871, at Haven, formerly known as Eureka, Iowa. Dr Appleton was again married July 23, 1876, to Cora A. Birdsell, a native of Iowa. They have three daughters: Mary E., Vivia Bell and Cora Lynda.
K. D. SHUGART was the first practicing physician in this place, settling in 1835. He now lives in Riverside, California.
The only practicing physician in the Village is C. W. KNOTT, a native of Ohio, who was brought up in Muscatine county this state, and was educated at the Wilton Collegiate Institute of that county. He studied medicine with D. W. Gray and graduated at the Kcokuk Medical College in 1873. He commenced practice at Princeton, Scott county, the same year. In April, he was married to Miss Jennie, daughter of Rev. Joseph Powell of Toledo. His wife died in August, 1882, leaving three children. He has been a successful physician and is popular in this vicinity.
The first and only practicing physician that ever located in Crystal township was Dr. S. C. ROGERS. He was a native of Massachusetts, but came here from New York in 1859, and settled on section 16. He went into the army as a surgeon, and aftr the war sold his property here and located some where in the east.
TAMA COUNTY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION.
Pursuant to an adjourned meeting, a number of physicians and surgeons of Tama county met at the Brooks house in Traer on the 4th of March, 1878, and effected the organization of the Tama County Medical Association. The following gentlemen were present: Doctors Samuel Thompson, J. A. Ladd, B.S. Louthan, J. P. Morison and Benjamin Thompson. After the adoption of a constitution and by-laws, an election for officers was held which resulted as follows:
President, Samuel Thompson, M.D. of Toledo.
Vice President, J. A. Ladd, M.D. of Traer.
Secretary and Treasurer, J. P. Morison, M.D. of Traer.
Censors, J. A. Ladd, M. D., of Traer; B. S. Louthan, M. D. of Dysart and Benjamin T. Thompson, M. D. of Tama City.
The original members were Drs. Samuel Thompson, of Toledo; J. A. Ladd of Traer; B. S. Louthan, of Dysart; J. P. Morison of Traer; Benjamin Thompson, of Tama City; H. W. Boynton, of Toledo and C. L. Teats, of Dysart.
The objects of the association were stated as being the mutual improvement in various branches of medical, surgical and pharmaceutical knowledge, and the promotion of friendly relations and unity of feeling amoung members of the profession.
As to membership it was declared that "any physician on presenting diploma from any medical school or society, recognized as such by the American Medical Association; or passing a satisfactory examination before the Board of Censors of the society, should by a vote by ballot of two-thirds of the members present at any regular meeting, be entitled to membership, on signing the consitution and paying the initation fee into the Treasury."
The organization was continued for several years, but was finally dropped.
|Tama Co. Home Page||Table of Contents||Biography List||Portrait List||Certificates||Chapter XVIII|