Story County, Iowa
Military Eligible 1894
Search Military Eligible 1894
The Iowa Militia Law required counties to report the persons subject to military duty. The 1894 list was transcribed from FamilySearch.org images. (To locate on their site search images for Story, Iowa, United States, select Life Event type Military Service, and from that select Military Record for Story, Iowa, United States 1862–1910. This provides a group of 784 images. The 1894 lists are images number 179–219, within which one image is duplicated.)
The 1894 enumeration was certified on June 13, 1894. See 1862 Certification Letter for an example of a certification to the state Adjutant General.
The 1894 is was consolidated across Story County a reported by the first initial of the surname. Within that the names appear to be random. Errors may have been introduced when were transcribed from the original location lists which may themselves have contained errors. Additional errors may have been introduced with this final transcription.
The following information is included:
- Line: Line number as recorded in the document. Sometimes line numbers were omitted in sequence or even repeated.
- Name: Given name with surname in upper case letters. An altername surname, when present, aka follows the surname and the alternate surname is shown in upper-case. That is followed by an alternate source shown in parentheses such as (1885 Census), (Cem Rec) for cemetery record, or (Ed Guess) for educated guess.
- Age: The age was not always recorded.
- Post Office: Post Office for the person's address. For people near county boundaries this is sometimes located in another county.
- Nativity: This mostly incidates if the person was born in the United States ("American") or another country. Occasionally more information such as the state in which born may be provided.
- Occupation: Occupation of the person.
- Image#: The number of the image in the FamilySearch images from which the entry was transcribed
Please E-Mail Mark Christian with your questions, comments, or suggestions.
Story Co. Home Page