Ottumwa Courier January 4, 1933
Snyder Services
The body of George Snyder, who died at his home of his brother, Philip Snyder, 429 N. Sheridan Ave., at 12:45 PM Tuesday, has been sent over the Milwaukee railroad Thursday at 12:45 AM to Marion where funeral services will be held Thursday afternoon, conducted by the Rev. Mr. Hahn. Burial will be made in the Lafayette cemetery at Alburnett.

Ottumwa Courier January 18, 1933
Gordon Services
The body of James Gordon, Milwaukee railroad engineer, who died at the home of his son, Bernard Gordon in Kansas City, Tuesday, will arrive in Ottumwa tonight on Milwaukee train number 26, and will be taken to the Vaughan Funeral Chapel where it will remain until 8:30 AM Thursday. Funeral services will be held from St. Mary's church at 9 AM Thursday and burial will be made in the Calvary cemetery.

Ottumwa Courier May 10, 1933
William H. Van Cleve
William Hiram Van Cleve, 65 years old, 719 W. Main St., died at the Ottumwa hospital at 3:55 AM today. He survived by two brothers. Newton Van Cleve of Blakesburg, and Ora Van Cleve of Ottumwa; two sisters, Mrs. Oscar Ziegler of Magnum, Oklahoma and Cora Van Cleve of Ottumwa. Mr. Van Cleve was an employee of the Milwaukee railroad at the roundhouse. Funeral services will be held Friday afternoon at two o'clock from the Johnson funeral Chapel, conducted by the Rev. A. D. McClure. Burial will be made in the Blakesburg cemetery.

Ottumwa Courier June 23, 1933 
W. G. Dingeman Had Been In Employee of Milwaukee Railroad 43 Years.
Walter George Dingeman, 72 years old, a resident of Ottumwa for forty-three years and conductor on the Milwaukee railroad for forty-two years, died his home 719 W. 2nd Street, at 12:15 AM today following a short illness. Mr. Dingeman worked on the Milwaukee passenger trains Nos. 3 and 8, operating between Davenport and Kansas City, Missouri. He was taken seriously ill in Kansas City Thursday morning, and although he was too ill to bring his train in, he rode train No. 8 to Ottumwa yesterday. He had been in the employ of the Milwaukee railroad as long as he lived here, being promoted from brakeman to conductor in one year. Mr. Dingeman celebrated his 72nd birthday June 9. He was born in Pella and was married to Susie Kradle at Monroe on October 15, 1885. Surviving are his wife, one son, R. W. Dingeman of Detroit, and a daughter, Mrs. I. E. Hawkins of St. Joseph, Missouri. A railroader well known here, Mr. Dingeman held membership in the Order of Railway Conductors for years. He was a member of Masonic Lodge No. 16, the Chapter and the Grotto, the Low 12 Twelve club of the Grotto and the I. O. O. F No. 9 of Ottumwa. Funeral services will be held at 2 PM Sunday at the First Presbyterian Church conducted by the Rev. H. Seers Thomson, D. D., Pastor of the church. Burial will be made in the Memorial Lawn cemetery. The Masonic lodges will have charge of services at the grave. There will be a short prayer service at the home on W. 2nd St. at 2 o'clock. The body will be removed at 5 PM Saturday from the Daggett funeral Chapel to the home.

Ottumwa Courier June 23, 1933
Dingeman Services
Pallbearers for the funeral services to be held Sunday afternoon at 2:30 in the First Presbyterian Church for W. C. Dingeman will be H. L. Beeler, M. D. Thorne, D. S. Morrow, Ed Hagerty, J. C. Roberts, David Higbee, F. H. Hahn and J. W. Brown. Honorary pallbearers will be Perry Grubbs, J. Collins, Pat Savage and W. W. Burkett. Mr. Dingeman a veteran employee of the Milwaukee railroad, died at his home 719 W. 2nd St., at 12:15 AM Friday. Burial will be made in the Memorial lawn cemetery.

Ottumwa Courier September 16, 1933
Engineer Victim Of Heart Attack
Harry Turgeon Of Milwaukee Road Dies In Automobile.
Harry M. Turgeon, 48-year-old Milwaukee railroad engineer living at 913 Russell St., died suddenly about 7 AM while driving his car on Quincy Avenue, between the Milwaukee West yards terminal and the Blackhawk Road. Death was said by an attending physician and by Coroner John Drake to have resulted from a heart attack. It was understood the Mr. Turgeon had experienced some difficulty in starting his car at the yards and had cranked it vigorously. Driving a short distance from the terminal yard Turgeon complained of feeling ill to William Goff of Cedar Rapids and V. C. Lawson, 938 W. 2nd Street, who were riding with him in the car. He slumped over in the car seat and Goff who was in the front seat guided the car to the corner of Quincy Avenue and Blackhawk St., where the machine stopped. Mr. Lawson was fireman for Turgeon on his run and returned with him this morning from Laredo, Missouri on a freight train. Turgeon had complained of not feeling well when in Laredo, Friday night, but had been feeling better this morning. He brought his train into the local yards about 6:30 AM. Mr. Turgeon was employed for 26 years on the local Kansas City division of the Milwaukee. He began as a fireman in 1907 was promoted engineer in 1913. He was a member of the B. of L. F. & E. No. 293. Surviving is his wife Mrs. Flossie Turgeon, one son, Bertraud L. Turgeon, his wife and daughter, Peggy Ann, all of Denver. Colorado; his mother, Mrs. Abi Saha and a sister, Mrs. Myrtle Tomlinson, both of Wapello. Funeral services will be held at 2:30 PM Monday at the Lester Jay funeral home. The Rev. Harold Lancaster, D. D., Pastor of the First Methodist Episcopal church will officiate. Burial will be made in the Memorial 
Lawn cemetery.

Ottumwa Courier April 11, 1935
William D. Wright
William D. Wright, 66 years old, died at 1:15 AM today at his home, 541 West Main St. He was employed as a telegraph operator by the Milwaukee railroad. He survived by his wife Ida; a daughter, Mrs. C. V. Steele of Ottumwa; two sons, J. Glenn Wright and W. Claire Wright of Kansas City, Missouri; two sisters, Lillian Wright of Cameron, Missouri and Mrs. William B. Beck of Akron, Ohio; by two brothers, J. Wesley Wright of Shanghai, China and George Wright of Amity, Missouri; and by two granddaughters. Funeral services will be held at the Lester Jay funeral home on Saturday, at an hour to be announced later.

Ottumwa Courier May 6, 1935
Frank H. Harris Dies Suddenly
Veteran Peace Officer Stricken While On Duty At County Jail This Morning.
Frank H. Harris, 66, 114 South Adelia St., for many years connected with law enforcement in the city and county, died suddenly at 10:45 AM today from a heart attack suffered while he was on duty as turnkey at the Wapello County jail. He was the son of William S. and Martha Harris and was born in Indiana on December 24, 1868. He came to Ottumwa when he was a-year-old, and with the exception of five-year span in Oklahoma, he is made his home here ever since. Mr. Harris, at the time of his death, was in his second term as turnkey at the jail, having started service there when Sheriff C. E. Harding went into office. He had previous experience in that Department many years ago, when he served Undersheriff John McIntire. He was also a member of the Ottumwa police force for 12 years, and served with the Milwaukee railroad five years as special agent. Besides his law enforcement work he had been a grocery man for several years. Mr. Harris is survived by his wife Edna; two daughters, Mrs. Clarence Anderson of St. Clair, Michigan and Geneva Harris, at home; a son, Murray Harris at home, Mrs. Etta Hines of Los Angeles, California; two brothers, Edward Harris and Will Harris, both of Ottumwa; and two grandsons, Milbert and Robert Anderson of St. Clair. The body was removed to the Johnson funeral Chapel where friends may call. Funeral arrangements will be announced later.

Ottumwa Courier June 18, 1935
Death Comes To Chicagoan Here
Man Believed To Be Paul Koviach Overcome While At Work With Rail Crew.
A man believed to be Paul Koviach, 37, Chicago, a member of the crew working on the new Milwaukee tracks to Rutledge, died here Saturday night after he had taken ill suddenly at work earlier in the day. Police officers found what is believed to be his name and address on papers carried in his pockets. A card issued by an emergency relief office in Chicago gave his address as 1426 Newberry St. No answer to a wire sent to that address had been received here today. The body is being held at the Drake funeral parlors. Men in charge of the track job said that Koviach first complained of feeling ill about 3 PM Saturday. He was instructed to see to sit down in the shade of a nearby tree, but a few minutes later returned and said he was feeling worse. He was then placed a small gasoline car and taken to his bunk near the Milwaukee terminal. He died about seven o'clock. Coroner John Drake said that the man had evidently been overcome by the heat. He said that Koviach's hands looked as if he was not used to manual labor.

Ottumwa Courier July 30, 1935
Claude E. Legg
Claude E. Legg, 52, died at his home 215 Clem Street, Tuesday at 3:35 AM. Mr. Legg had been a Milwaukee engineer in the local division for the last 32 years. He was the son of John A. and Julia Legg and was born in Wilbur, Nebraska, December 9, 1882. He was an engineer for the Milwaukee at the time he came to Ottumwa 32 years ago. Surviving are his wife, Ethel; one daughter, Mrs. Dorothy Teter St. Paul, his mother, Mrs. Julia Legg of Sigourney; one brother, Clyde Legg of Ottumwa, and one adopted sister, Mrs. H. C. Lynn of Waukegan, Illinois. He was a member of A. F. and A. M. Lodge No. 16, Clinton chapter No. 9 and the Hafed Grotto of the Masonic order. He was also a member of the Knights of Pythias and of the B. of L. F. and E. Funeral services will be held at the Johnson funeral Chapel Thursday at 2 PM. Burial be made in the West cemetery at Sigourney. Friends may call at Johnson's funeral Chapel until 10 AM Wednesday, when the body will be taken to the home until Thursday noon, when it will be returned to the Chapel for services. The Masonic order will have services at the grave.
Ottumwa Courier August 31, 1935
Ottumwa Loses Railroad Pioneer In Death Friday Of Joseph W. Calvert, 76
Joseph William Calvert, 76, for 56 years an agent of the Milwaukee railroad and oldest and longest in service of the four head local railway agents, died at his home, 312 N. Jefferson St., shortly after 7 PM Friday. He had been ill for about a month. Even during that time he had made trips to his office at the Milwaukee freight house on South Jefferson street and had conversed with employees of the office on the telephone daily with the exception of the last few days. He had been confined to his bed since Monday. Born at Willow Springs in Lafayette County, Wisconsin he attended school at an early age in that section before going to preparatory school at Darrington and later to Plattville normal school at Plattville, Wisconsin. The age of 18 he was working for the old Mineral Point railroad. With that company he had procured a contract to furnish wood for locomotives. During that time work was going on he began to the study of telegraphy which led him into the railroad business as a life occupation. One year after the railroad was built it was acquired by the Milwaukee and so Calvert began his duties with that company. He was soon designated to fill the position as agent at Calmine, Wisconsin. From there he went to Juda, Wisconsin, and served at various points in Iowa and Missouri including Melbourn, Iowa, Polo, Liberty, Braymer, and Lawson, Missouri, Mystic, Iowa, Chillicothe, Missouri, Washington, Iowa, and then to Ottumwa in April of 1920. He was married May 30, 1886. “J. W.” As he was most frequently called, was well known on the Milwaukee lines. Because he wrote considerable verse was often referred to as the poet. Remainder of obit not available. 

Ottumwa Courier October 7, 1935
John L. Quinlan, Rail Vet Dies
Was Employee Of Milwaukee Road For 29 Years; Conductor Since 1913
John L. Quinlan, 48, for 29 years an employee the Chicago Milwaukee St. Paul and Pacific railroad here and a conductor since 1913, died in 11 PM Tuesday at the St. Joseph hospital after an illness of about six weeks. He lived at 112 N. Marion St. Mr. Quinlan was born in Albia, January 21, 1887, the son of Matthew and Margaret Quinlan. The family moved to Ottumwa when he was three years old, in 1890, and Mr. Quinlan has lived here since that time. He was a member of the brotherhood of railroad trainmen and of the St. Mary's Catholic Church. Surviving are his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Matthew Quinlan of Ottumwa, his wife Frances, and a son, John Lawrence Jr., at home. A brother, James preceded him in death. Funeral services will be held at the Moroney funeral home at 8:30 AM Friday and at 9 AM at the St. Mary's Catholic Church. The Right Rev. J. M. Walsh, V. F., will celebrate the Requiem high mass. Burial be made in the Calvary cemetery. 

Ottumwa Courier December 2, 1935
W. W. Birkett, 65, Rail Vet, Dies
Was Conductor For Milwaukee Road And Resident Of Ottumwa 24 Years.
William Walter Birkett, 65, died at his home, 110 Blackhawk St., Sunday at 6:40 PM. A Milwaukee conductor, Mr. Birkett had been in active service until September of this year one ill health forced his retirement. Mr. Birkett was born in Tindall, Missouri, July 1, 1870 the son of Clement and Emily Birkett. On December 25, 1894 he was married to Emma A. Scranton in Trenton, Missouri. He entered the employ of the Rock Island railroad at an early age and worked for the company at Trenton. Later he entered the employ the Milwaukee at Chillicothe, Missouri, and for the last 35 years has worked that railroad. The last 24 years of that time had been spent Ottumwa. Surviving are two daughters, Mrs. Lorna Hobbs and Mrs. Rual Milchain (sp?), both of Ottumwa; a brother, H. W. Birkett of Tindall; one sister, Mrs. Eva Babb of Tindall; a nephew, T. E. Birkett of Columbia, Missouri; a niece, Mrs. Allie Babb McDonald of Los Angeles, California, and three grandchildren, Forrest, Janice and Joanne all of Ottumwa. He was preceded in death by his wife, Emma. He was a member of the Masonic Lodge, No. 253, Laredo, Missouri and the Order of Railway Conductors. Funeral services will be held at the Jay funeral home Tuesday at 2 PM, conducted by the Rev. Eugene C. Beach. Burial be in the Memorial Lawn cemetery. Masonic services will be held at the grave. 

Ottumwa Courier December 23, 1935
Engineer Dies Today; Age 73
Albert J. Storey, 44 Years With Milwaukee, Had Been In Poor Health.
Albert J. Storey, 73, 312 McPherson Street, a veteran Milwaukee engineer died at the Ottumwa hospital at 8:30 AM. He had been in ill health for some time. Mr. Storey started work for the Milwaukee December 27, 1891 as a fireman. On August 20, 1900 he was made an engineer and has served since that time. He had a total 44 years with the railroad, most of them spent at Ottumwa. He was a member of the B. L. E., Ottumwa Lodge No. 16, A. F. & A. M., Clinton chapter, No. 9, R. A. M. and Low Twelve. Surviving are four daughters, Mrs. Hazel Gill of Ottumwa, Mrs. Vira Mincks Drakesville, Miss Ethel Storey of Chicago and Mrs. Helen Dubach of Victor, Colorado and three sons, James G. of Ottumwa, Herbert D. of Chicago, and Marion L. of Los Angeles, California. Funeral arrangements have not been completed.

Ottumwa Courier January 2, 1936
Conductor Dies While Riding Car
Henry Steinbeck, 72, Chillicothe, Missouri, a regular conductor on the Southwest Limited, crack Milwaukee passenger train, dropped dead while on duty about 1 mile from Ottumwa early this morning. A heart attack was given as the cause of death. Mr. Steinbeck had just taken a seat in one of the coaches when the attack and death occurred. The train was between Rutledge in Ottumwa, officials of the railroad said. He had been in the employ of the Milwaukee railroad since 1888. Surviving are a daughter, Mrs. Helen Albright of Kansas City, Missouri and a son, Harry of Chillicothe. Another daughter in Kansas City and another son in Chillicothe also survive. The body was taken to the Lester Jay funeral home where a Chillicothe undertaker was to call today. Funeral services and burial will be at Chillicothe.

Ottumwa Courier February 21, 1936
Harker, Ill Two Weeks, Dies Here
Frank L. Harker, 64, C. M. St. P. & P. Engineer, 219 W. Golf Ave. died at 9:30 AM today at his home. He had been ill two weeks. Surviving are one son, Frank C. of Ottumwa and one sister, Miss Rosamond C. Harker of Los Angeles, California. The body will be taken to Chillicothe Missouri, on Milwaukee train No. 25 tonight. Burial will be there. The body will remain at the Lester Jay funeral home until train time. Friends may call.

Ottumwa Courier April 2, 1936
William M. Culbertson
William M. Culbertson, 61, former Ottumwan and Milwaukee Railroad brakeman, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Glenn L. Shoemaker, Omaha, Wednesday evening. Until six months ago Mr. Culbertson had lived at 801 E. Holt St. He was born July 6, 1874 and was employed as a brakeman by that Chicago Milwaukee St. Paul & Pacific, July 12, 1907. Since his retirement six months ago he had lived with his daughter in Omaha. He was a member of the brotherhood of railway conductors. Surviving are his wife Nettie; one daughter, Mrs. Shoemaker, and one son, A. L. Culbertson, all of Ottumwa. The body will arrive in Ottumwa tonight. It will be taken to the Jay funeral home pending completion of funeral arrangements. Burial be made in the Elm Grove Cemetery, Washington, Iowa.

Ottumwa Courier July 10, 1936
Tomlinson, Rail Veteran, Is Dead
Ottumwan Had Been Conductor On Milwaukee Railroad More Than Half-Century.
James A Tomlinson, 74, for 52 years a conductor on the Ottumwa division of the Milwaukee railroad, died about 3:20 AM today at the Ottumwa hospital. He had been ill for three weeks. A resident of Ottumwa for the past 30 years Tomlinson was born at Jacksonville, Illinois, to George and Anna Tomlinson. He was married to Miss Affa Pierson November 25, 1885. He was a member of the Masonic Lodge at Marion, and the Order of Railway Conductors at Ottumwa, and of the First Methodist Church at Peoria, Iowa. Surviving are five brothers Charles, Henry, George, Albert, and Samuel, all of Maxwell; and a sister, Mrs. G. B. Cook of Des Moines. Funeral services will be at 8 PM Saturday in the Reese funeral Chapel conducted by the Rev. Eugene C. Beach. Mrs. Nellie Frost will be a vocal soloist. The Funeral cortege will leave Ottumwa at 7 AM Sunday for Carlisle, Iowa, or burial will be at 10 AM in charge of the Masonic Lodge.

Ottumwa Courier July 16, 1936
Nelson Charles Maytum
Nelson Charles Maytum, 70, Hayesville station agent whose home is in Polo, Missouri died at the home of his sister-in-law, Mrs. W. D. Wright, 541 W. Main St., at 6 AM today. He suffered a heart attack last Sunday in route from Hayesville to Ottumwa. Mr. Maytum had been in the service of the Milwaukee railroad for the last 48 years as a telegrapher. Besides his wife, Mrs. Nettie Maytum, he is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Gerald Schaeffer, and one grandson, Rex Schaeffer, both of Liberty, Missouri; five sisters Mrs. Marie Pierce of Washington… (Obit incomplete) 

Ottumwa Courier December 24, 1936
Ottumwa Woman Drinks Poison; Later Dies Of Pneumonia.
What she thought was cough syrup was really a poison. As a result, Mrs. Ransome Hughes Ford; 40, wife of Harry Ford, former Ottumwa Mississippi Valley baseball league player and proprietor of the Rendezvous, a tavern, is dead. Mrs. Ford died at 6:30 PM Wednesday at the St. Joseph hospital after swallowing the fatal poison about 1:15 AM Wednesday in the Tavern. Suffering from a cold, Mrs. Ford had been taking medicine. After closing the Rendezvous Wednesday morning, she suddenly remembered leaving her cough syrup there. She and her husband had returned the family explained today. Mrs. Ford swallowed from the bottle of poison and then smashed it to the floor in agony and pain. Her husband, after glancing at the bottle, took Mrs. Ford to the hospital. She developed pneumonia. She was born in Chillicothe, Missouri, November 17, 1896, the daughter of Francis Marion and Amanda Hughes. For the greater part of the 25 years Mrs. Ford had lived here. A one-time prior to her marriage, 12 years ago, she worked for the Milwaukee railroad as a stenographer. Surviving are her husband, Harry, of 424 ½ West 2nd St.; two sisters, Mrs. L. C. Traul and Mrs. Claude H. Dean of Ottumwa; and three brothers, William Hughes of Ottumwa, Everett of Chillicothe, Missouri, and A. J. Hughes of Brookfield, Missouri. Funeral services will be held Saturday at 8:30 AM in the Vaughan funeral Chapel and at 9 AM at St. Mary's Catholic Church. Requiem high mass will be celebrated by the Right Rev. J. M. Walsh, V. F. Burial be made in the Ottumwa cemetery. The body will remain at the funeral Chapel until time for the services.

Ottumwa Courier January 9, 1937
Albert Anderson Dies Here Today
Funeral services will be held Monday at the home and at St. Patrick's church.
Albert Anderson, 55, of 117 S. Milner St., died at his home at 3:05 AM today. He had been ill for a month. He was born in Mahaska County, April 4, 1881, the son of Pete and Matilda Anderson. Surviving are his wife Sarah, four daughters, Alberta, Veronica, Betti Mae, and Retta Jane and one son, Thaddeus all at home; his father and stepmother, Mr. and Mrs. Pete Anderson, Heitman; three sisters, Mrs. Annie Lanningham of Heitman, Mrs. Esther Reardon of Auburn and Mrs. Lottie Heath of Carroll, and two brothers, Martin of Ottumwa and Silas of Heitman. He was preceded in death by his mother and one brother Harry. He was married to Miss Sarah Cotter, Albia, September 21, 1909. Mr. Anderson had been a boilermaker in the Milwaukee roundhouse for the last 20 years. He was a member of the General Shields Council No. 888, Knights of Columbus. Funeral services will be held Monday morning at the home at 8:30 and at St. Patrick's Catholic Church at nine o'clock. Requiem high mass will be celebrated by the Rev. Be. J. Decker. Burial will be made in the Calvary cemetery. Members of the General Shields Council will meet at the order’s home, W. 3rd St., Sunday at 7:15 PM to go to the Anderson home to recite the Rosary. The body will be taken to the home at 5 PM today.

Ottumwa Courier February 7, 1937
C. W. Brown Dies Sunday; Ill 4 Weeks
Charles William Brown, 67, of Ottumwa route 3, died at 2 AM Sunday in the Ottumwa hospital. He had been ill for four weeks. Mr. Brown was nearly a lifetime resident of this community coming here when a child from Davis County, where he born October 2, 1869, the son of Joseph and Suzanna Black Brown. He was a lifetime member of the B. P. O. E. No. 347, and was a member of the Masonic Lodge. For a short time, about the time of the world war, Mr. Brown was employed by the Milwaukee railroad at Davenport. Surviving are four brothers, Lincoln of Ottumwa route 9, Joseph of Ottumwa route 3, James of Martinsburg and Albert Brown of Agency. His parents and one brother preceded him in death, Mr.  Brown was never had never married. Funeral services will be held in Daggett funeral Chapel at 1:30 PM Tuesday, conducted by the Rev. R. W. Swick of the Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church. Burial be made in the West View Cemetery in Kirkville. The Elks Lodge will have services at the Chapel. The Rev. David Arnold of Osceloa will sing. Pallbearers will be members of the Elks Lodge. 

Ottumwa Courier February 27, 1937
Patrick Savage, Rail Vet Dies
Ottumwan Served 45 Years On Milwaukee Railroad; Services Monday
For 45 years a Milwaukee railroad trainmen here, Patrick Savage, 67, of 917 Sheffield St., died at 10:10 PM Friday in the St. Joseph's hospital. Thursday morning Mr. Savage suffered a heart attack, brought on by a kidney ailment. He was taken to the hospital where his condition had been described a serious but not dangerous. He arrived back in the city on the Milwaukee train No. 70, Wednesday night. He was born in Waterville, County Kerry, Ireland, May 10, 1869, the son of Cornelius and Katherine Savage. When he was 13 he came to the United States with his family. The Savages settled at Eldon in 1882. In 1891 he came to Ottumwa. It was October 25 of that year that he went to work for the Milwaukee railroad as a brakeman. On April 16, 1903 he was promoted to conductor in the freight services, a post which he held until his death. Her surviving are his wife, Frances; three daughters, Mrs. P. L. Smithberg of Chicago Illinois, and Mary and Elizabeth, both at home; one son, Francis P. Savage, at home. Mr. Savage was a member of the General Shields Council No. 888, Knights of Columbus and the Order of Railway Conductors. Funeral services will be held Monday at 8:30 AM and the home, 917 Sheffield St., and at 9 AM in the St. Mary's Catholic Church. Requiem high mass will be celebrated by the Right Rev. Msgr. J. M. Walsh, V. F. Burial be made in the Calvary cemetery. Members of General Shields Council No. 888 Knights of Columbus, will meet Sunday at 7:30 PM to go to the Savage home recite the Rosary. The body was taken to the home at 4:30 PM today.

Ottumwa Courier April 29, 1937
R. R. Worker Victim Of Pneumonia
A man listed as Dabino Ronquillo, a laborer on the Milwaukee railroad extra gang at Powersville, Missouri, died at 8:35 AM today in the Ottumwa hospital. He was admitted to the hospital at 12:50 AM Wednesday, suffering from pneumonia, the man became ill at work in Powersville, it is said. Pending a more thorough check of his identity, the body is at the Lester Jay funeral home.

Ottumwa Courier October 16, 1937
Veteran Rail Engineer Dies
Roy McBride, Thirty-Three Years With Milwaukee Road, Heart Victim.
Roy McBride, 49, Milwaukee railroad engineer and a lifetime resident of Ottumwa died at his home, 637 Church St., at 12:10 AM today. Mr. McBride had been off work since last April with heart disease, but had been no worse until a short time before his death. He was a son of Stephen and Ada L. McBride and was born in Ottumwa, January 16, 1888. For the last 33 years he'd been an employee of the Milwaukee railroad, been promoted to engineer about 24 years ago. He was a member of the brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen. Surviving are his wife, Elizabeth; three daughters, Mrs. Benjamin Grady Jones of Norfolk, Virginia, and Betty and Barbara Ann McBride at home; three sisters, Mrs. Eva Palmer of Long Beach, California, Mrs. Florence Hague of Los Angeles, California and Mrs. Mildred Canny of Ottumwa, and two brothers Joe E. McBride of Long Beach, California and Cecil McBride of Minneapolis, Minnesota. He was preceded in death by his parents; two brothers and a daughter, Eileen. Funeral services will be held and St. Patrick's Catholic Church at 9 AM Monday. The Rev. B. J. Decker will conduct Requiem high mass. Burial will be made in Calvary cemetery. Pallbearers will be Lloyd Wilcox, John McGuffey, John Mottet, Ralph Replogle, Wilbur Rolison and Edward O'Brien. The body will remain at the Johnson funeral Chapel until 5:30 PM Sunday when it will be taken to the home. 

Ottumwa Courier January 8, 1938
Lifetime Resident Dies Today
James William Edington, 57, Milwaukee railroad machinist helper, died at his home, 718 Gladstone St., today at 8:30 AM. He was a lifetime resident of Wapello County, being born here on May 2, 1880, the son of F. M. and Adeline Edington. For the last 36 years he had lived in Ottumwa. For 18 years prior to November 1936, Mr. Edington was employed at the Milwaukee railroad roundhouse. At that time he was forced to retire because of ill health. Surviving are two brothers, C. C. and D. L. Edington of Ottumwa, and a sister, Miss Florence Edington of Ottumwa. He was preceded in death by a brother, Eli. Funeral services will be held in Johnson's funeral Chapel Monday at 2 PM, conducted by the Rev. Mrs. M. R. Davis, first reader of the Christian Science church. Burial be made in Chillicothe cemetery.

Ottumwa Courier January 6, 1938
Retired Railway Worker Is Dead
Ora Van Cleve, Who Served 43 Years On Milwaukee Succumbs Today
Ora Van Cleve, 61 of 719 W. Main St., retired roundhouse employee of the Milwaukee railroad, died at St. Joseph hospital today at 4:30 AM. He was the son of Cyrus and Cecilia R. Van Cleve and was born May 20, 1875 in Monroe County. For the last 24 years he lived in Ottumwa. Prior to his retirement on May 8, 1936, because of ill health, Mr. Van Cleve had worked for the Milwaukee railroad for 43 years. He was a member of the Knights of Pythias, local Lodge, No. 12. Surviving are two sisters, Cora Van Cleve of Ottumwa and Mrs. Oscar Zigler of Magnum, Oklahoma, and one brother Newton Van Cleve of Blakesburg. He was preceded in death by a brother, William in 1933. Short funeral services will be on Saturday at 1 PM at Johnson's funeral Chapel and at 1:30 PM in the Pentecostal church conducted by the Rev. A. D. McClure. Burial will be made in the Blakesburg cemetery.

Ottumwa Courier February 17, 1938
William Tee, Jr., Dies Under Wheels of Father’s Train.
An inquest will be held Tuesday night into the death of William Tee, Jr, 21-year-old Ottumwan who was killed when he fell underneath the wheels of Milwaukee freight train No. 67 at the Sherman Street station in the west end, Sunday afternoon. Coroner Gordon Traul said the investigation will be conducted at 7:30 PM at the Vaughan funeral Chapel, 434 W. 2nd St.
Services Today
Funeral services for the youth will be held at 8:30 AM Tuesday at the residence, 1610 W. 2nd St., and at nine o'clock at St. Mary's Catholic Church. Requiem high mass will be celebrated by the Right Rev. J. M. Walsh, V. F. Pastor. Burial will be made in Calvary cemetery. The accident in which the youth was killed occurred about 1:30 PM Sunday. It is assumed that he was attempting to alight from the Milwaukee merchandise freight, on which his father was working as a brakeman, and that he fell under the speeding wheels.

Ottumwa Courier April 6, 1938
Bror S. Pearson
Bror S. Pearson, 58, died at his home on Ottumwa route 4 today at 8 AM. He was the son of Pete and Anna Pearson and was born in Skone, Sweden, October 13, 1879. Mr. Pearson came to the United States in December, 1904 settling at Ridgeway, Pennsylvania. He lived around Ottumwa for the last 25 years. Mr. Pearson was a former Milwaukee railroad employee. He was a member the First Lutheran Church. Surviving are six daughters, Mrs. Anna Post, Mrs. Signa Larson, Mrs. Ruth Vall, Mrs. Eleanor Pakieser, Mrs. Julia Allen and Miss Marcine Pearson of Ottumwa; two sons, Carl and Everett Pearson of Ottumwa; a sister, Mrs. Emma Christiansen of Chicago; a brother, August Pearson of Sweden, and six grandchildren, Jerome and Joan Vall, Keith, Jeanette and Dwain Pearson, and Lloyd Larson. He was preceded in death by his wife Alma; a daughter, Dorothy, both in 1934 in an infant son, a sister, a brother and one grandson. The body is at Johnson's funeral Chapel.

Ottumwa Courier April 7, 1938
Erwin B. Jones
Erwin Beckworth Jones, 48, died of a heart attack at his home in Kansas City Wednesday about 3 PM. He was the son of Erwin B. and Sadie E. Jones and was born here December 12, 1889. He attended, public schools, later entering the employ of the Milwaukee railroad. He began as a call boy, worked as a fireman and for more than 20 years had been an engineer. He was married to Miss Verda Wheeler, September 21, 1912. Surviving are his wife; a daughter, Mrs. Leonard Taylor; a son Keith w. Jones and a grandchild, all of Kansas City, and three sisters, Mrs. George H. Elliott of Ottumwa, Mrs. M. J. Joy of Salt Lake City and Mrs. Charles T. Morgan of Los Angeles. He was preceded in death by a brother, Charles Harold, in 1937. Funeral services will be Sunday at the Lester Jay funeral home conducted by the Rev. John Estes. Burial will be in the Ottumwa cemetery.

Ottumwa Courier July 7, 1938
William James Wilson
Veteran, 80 Years Old, Retired From Milwaukee In 1937.
William James Wilson, 80, veteran Milwaukee railroad engineer, died today at 8:35 AM at his home at 929 Russell St., after a brief illness. For 59 years prior to his retirement in 1937, Mr. Wilson had been connected with the Milwaukee road. He entered service as an extra gang employee at Rockford, Illinois, in 1878. In 1882 he became a fireman at Perry, being promoted to engineer January 11, 1888, the year he came to Ottumwa. Since then he has lived here. Mr. Wilson was born in Whitehorse, Pennsylvania, June 25, 1848, the son of James and Mary Wilson. He went to Rockford is a boy. He was a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church, of the church’s Holy Name society, of General Shields Council No. 888, Knights of Columbus. For 54 years he had been a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen continuing that association after his promotion to engineer. Surviving are his wife Margaret Mary; one daughter, Mrs. James B. Davis of Ottumwa; two sons, Edward A. and William R. both of Ottumwa; and four grandchildren. Services will be at the Wilson home Thursday at 8:30 AM at St. Mary's Catholic Church at 9 AM, where Requiem high mass will be celebrated by the Right Rev. Msgr. J. M. Walsh, V. F.  Burial will be in Calvary cemetery. The body is at the home.

Ottumwa Courier November 2, 1938
Milwaukee Machinist Dies Today
William Rider Wilcoxon, 68, retired Milwaukee railroad machinist, died today at 6:45 AM in the Sunnyslope sanatorium. His home was at 221 N. Clay St. Mr. Wilcoxon, who was a retired on pension June, 1937, had served for 25 years with the Milwaukee here and at Niles City, Montana. He had been here since 1917. He had served other railroads before joining the Milwaukee. Surviving are his wife; a stepdaughter, Mrs. Jessie Gardner of Tulsa, Oklahoma; four sisters, Mrs. Effie McCray of Sand Springs, Oklahoma, Mrs. Mollie Wells, Mrs. Ida Remo of Oscar, Missouri, and Mrs. Lela Waltham of Los Angeles, and two brothers, John of Oscar and Sam of Cabool, Missouri. The body is at the Traul funeral Chapel pending completion of funeral arrangements. 

Ottumwa Courier December 27, 1938
Doak services
Services for Harry C. Doak, 69, Kansas City, Milwaukee railroad brakeman who died on passenger train Mo. 26 near Mystic Monday night will be Thursday at 1 PM at the Traul funeral Chapel, conducted by the Rev. Fred Smith. Burial will be in the Rabern cemetery near Hedrick. Pallbearers will be Milwaukee brakeman.

Ottumwa Courier, died 22 Nov 1941
Evan Robert Davis 
“One of Best Known Rail Veterans Dies” 
E. R. “Curly Davis” Began 68 Years Ago. 
Evan Robert Davis, 86, veteran Milwaukee railroader, who had been retired since 1937, died at his home, 421 North Clay Street, at 8 a.m. today. He had been active until a few hours before his death. “Curly” Davis was one of the best known railroaders in Ottumwa. His record of membership in the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen was one of the longest in the organization. He was born in Waukesha, Wisconsin, January 15, 1855, the son of John and Anne Roberts Davis. He came to Iowa when 10 years old with his parents. They settled at Boonesboro, now Boone. 
Early Days Recalled 
The veteran engineer often recalled that his early memories were of riding a passenger train as far as Nevada, then having to ride freight to Ames and go to Boonesboro by wagon. One of his favorite stories was of the days of the old wood burning locomotives, which he said steamed into town with great noise and flame, the cord wood stacked like hay in the tender. Mr. Davis worked in a mine in North Central Iowa when 13 years old, driving a mine mule hoist. On August 4, 1873, he began his railroading career. He started to work as a machinist in the shops of the Burlington, Cedar Rapids and Northern Railroad, now part of the Rock Island. In 1879, he began to work as a fireman for the Northwestern Railroad in Cedar Rapids. He joined the Fireman’s Brotherhood in 1882. He was married in Cedar Rapids, June 30, 57 years ago. His wife, Bridget, survives him. Two sons, Thomas and Philo Davis preceded him in death. 
Funeral Services Monday 
Surviving in addition to Mrs. Davis are four sons, Davis R., roundhouse general foreman for the Milwaukee in Savannah, Illinois; Norbert E., machinist for the Milwaukee in Ottumwa; James B., pipefitter for the Milwaukee in Ottumwa, and John C., who is a post office employee in Ottumwa. Eight grandchildren also survive. Mr. Davis was a member of the Knights of Columbus, the Holy Name Society, the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and the International Association of Machinists. Funeral services will be held at 8:30 a.m. Monday at the home and at 9 a.m. from St. Mary’s Catholic Church. Burial will be in Calvary Cemetery. The rosary will be recited at the home, Sunday at 8 p.m. The body was taken from the Vaughn Funeral Chapel to the home today.

Ottumwa Courier January 7, 1946
John H. Ryan, Rail Veteran, Dies at 75
John H. Ryan, 75 veteran of 56 years railroading with the Milwaukee in Iowa, died at his home at 345 North McLean street at 9:30 p. m. Sunday. Mr. Ryan started with the rail road when it was built into Cedar Rapids as a brakeman, when he was 19 years old. He became a conductor in October of 1893, and continued as such until he became ill last August. He had lived in Ottumwa for almost half a century. He was born November 13, 1870 at Monticello, Iowa, son of Patrick and Rosemary Ryan. Surviving are his wife, Josephine, a daughter of Mrs. Mary Zlogar of Ottumwa, three sons, Dr. Joseph Ryan of Ottumwa, Earl Ryan of Chicago, and Francis Ryan at home. Also surviving are a brother, William Ryan of Marion and a sister, Mrs. John R. Brown of Marion, and four grandchildren. Funeral services will be held Wednesday at 8:30 a.m. at the Vaughan funeral home, and at 9 a.m. at St. Mary’s catholic church where requiem high mass will be celebrated by the Rt. Rev. Msgr. J.M. Walsh, V.F. burial will be in cavalry cemetery. Members of the General Shields council No. 688, Knights of Columbus, will meet at the hall at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday to go to the funeral home at 8 p.m. to meet with members of St. Mary’s parish to recite the rosary. 

Ottumwa Courier May 15, 1946
Death Comes To Fred E. Orvis, 82
Fred E. Orvis, 82 above, retired locomotive engineer of the 182 Vogel Ave. died at 11:15 PM Sunday at St. Joseph's Hospital. A native Wisconsin, Orvis entered the service of the Milwaukee Railroad in 1880 as a fireman on the Prairie du Chien  division and retired here June 1, 1943 after more than 63 years of continuous for a road service. On his retirement, he was the oldest locomotive engineer on the Kansas City division and, at that time, every engineer on the division had at some time served as his fireman. He had lived in Ottumwa the past 47 years. Fred E. Orvis was born May 2, 1884, in Madison Wisconsin the son of Albert G. And Emma Orvis, and was married June 15, 1886, and Prairie du Chien to marry Alan Crehan who died September 22, 1943. They celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary here June 15, 1936. He survived by one daughter Ms. Genevieve Orvis, at home and a son, Alvah C. Orvis of Des Moines. He is also survived by a sister, Mrs. Walter Kellogg of Madison, and by a grandson Alvah Orvis Jr. now serving with the Armed Forces in Pisa, Italy. He was a member of Gen. Shields Council No. 888 Knights of Columbus and of the Holy Name Society and the Elks Lodge as well as the brotherhood of locomotive engineers. Funeral services will be held Tuesday morning at 830 from the family residence and at nine o'clock from St. Mary's Catholic Church where the right Rev. Msgr. J.M. Walsh, V. F., Will celebrate our requiem high mass. Burial will be in Calvary Cemetery. Members of the Knights of Columbus will meet at 730 tonight at their home on W. 3rd St. and go to the Orvis home to meet with the Holy Name Society to recite the rosary. The active pallbearers will be Edward Wilson, Jack Rater A. J. Schwartz, Mike Mier, Frank Gillis and Joseph Koetting, with the following named honorary pallbearers: Irvin Cottrell, William Fry, T. C. Runzler and W. C. Becker.

Ottumwa Courier July 25, 1946
Dies In Colorado While On Vacation
LeRoy L. (Roy) Moon, 55 employee of the Milwaukee Railroad, died suddenly at 2 AM today at Greeley, Colorado his home is at 906 South James St. He and Mrs. Moon were on a vacation trip, having arrived in Greeley about 7 PM Wednesday. He was born August 1, 1890 and it worked at the Milwaukee Roundhouse here for the past 25 years. Besides his wife, Iva, he is survived by four daughters, Mrs. Opal Peters, Cedar Rapids and Mrs. Nellie Patrick, Mrs. Wilma Fulmer former and Mrs. Vera Johnson, all of Ottumwa; a stepdaughter, Mrs. Hazel Gee, Ottumwa; a stepson Roy Haswell, Ottumwa; two brothers, Olen Moon, Long Beach California, and Everett Moon, Russell; four sisters, Mrs. Dolly Bennett, Des Moines, Mrs. Elsie Ellers, Westphalia, Kansas and Goldie and Bertha, both of Des Moines and eight grandchildren. The body will be returned to the Ottumwa and will be taken to the Johnson funeral Chapel pending completion of arrangements. Funeral services for LeRoy (Roy) Moon, of 906 South James St., who died suddenly at 2 AM Thursday at Greeley, Colorado, will be held at Johnson's funeral Chapel at 3 AM Saturday in charge of the Rev. A. D. McClure, burial will be in the Shaul cemetery. The body will arrive in Ottumwa late today and will be taken to the home of Mrs. Moon's daughter, Mrs. Cecil Patrick, 401 Hamilton St., and will be returned to the Chapel Saturday morning. Pallbearers will be: Ralph Graham, Richard Graham, Henry Patrick, Walter Selix, P. F. Jackson and I. J. Stephenson.

Ottumwa Courier July 27, 1946 
Alfred Doak
Alfred Doak, about 73, retired Milwaukee railroad employee, died at 9:45 AM today as his residence, 405 W. 2nd Ave., after heart attack. The body was removed to the Traul Funeral Chapel pending arrangements. Alfred J. Doak, 74, died at his home 405 W. 2nd St., Saturday. He had suffered a heart attack. Mr. Doak was born on February 5, 1872, in Wapello County, the son of John and Liddy Doak. His parents and one brother preceded him in death. Mr. Doak was a retired Milwaukee Railroad employee. He worked in the mechanical department until 1935, when he retired. Surviving are his sister-in-law, Mrs. Harry Doak of Kansas City, and eight cousins, Mike Whipple of Agency, Mrs. Harry Hickman, Ottumwa, Wallace Umbaugh, Mrs. DeLay DeSelm, Elizabeth and Frank Doak, all Hedrick, Ray Doak of Packwood, and Mrs. Frank Neff, Batavia. Funeral services will be held Tuesday at 2 PM, at the Traul funeral Chapel, in charge of the Rev. Harold Roberts of the first Christian Church. Burial will be in the Brooks cemetery near Hedrick. Pallbearers will be Chester Cage, L.C. Traul, Irvin Stephenson, William roe, Herbert Morgan and Harry Vaughan. 

Ottumwa Courier August 1, 1946
Thomas E. Eskew
Thomas E. Eskew, 66, at 1025 W. Main St., a retired Milwaukee car department and track department employee, died at his home at 3 PM Thursday. The son of Robert and Sarah Winfrey Eskew, he was born in Carroll County, Missouri, August 4, 1879, he came to Ottumwa in 1908. He retired in 1938 after a long service with the railroad, because of a physical disability. He was married to Belle Shobe, November 11, 1903 and Osgood, Missouri. She survives him. Also survived green are a brother, William of Ottumwa, and a sister, Mrs. Ida Williams, Spokane Washington. Mr. Eskew was a member of the Modern Woodman. Funeral services will be held Saturday at 3 PM from Johnson funeral Chapel. The Rev. A. D. McClure will be in charge. Burial will be in the Ottumwa Cemetery. Pallbearers will be Howard Eskew, Robert Eskew, Floyd Johnson, Weed Dickerson, Dewey Johnson and Leonard Link. The two brothers and sisters preceded him in death.

Ottumwa Courier September 14, 1946
Matt Quinlan Dies; Lived Here 80 Years
Matt Quinlan, 85, a resident of Ottumwa for the past 80 years died at 9:15 PM Saturday at his home, 212 N. Market St. He had formerly been employed as a car bon with the Milwaukee rail road, retiring from that work in 1938. He was born March 9, 1861 in Ireland and came to this country with his parents when he was five years old, locating immediately in Ottumwa. He was preceded in death by his wife and five children and is survived by her grandson, John Quinlan, in Texas and by one niece, Mrs. William Kelly of Burlington. Funeral services will be held Wednesday morning at 830 from the Vaughn funeral home and at nine o'clock from St. Mary's Catholic Church were the right Rev. Msgr. J. M. Walsh, V. F. will celebrate a Requiem High Mass. Burial will be in Calvary Cemetery. Members of the Knights of Columbus will meet at 7:30 PM Tuesday at their home on W. 3rd St. to go in a group to the Vaughn funeral home where they will join members of St. Mary's Church parish for a recitation of the Rosary. 

Ottumwa Courier October 22, 1946
Traul Services
Funeral services for Hugh L. Traul 64, who died at Blue Island, Illinois, Tuesday will be held Friday at 2 PM at the Traul funeral home Chapel in charge of the Rev. Harold Roberts, pastor of the First Christian church. Traul was born March 30, 1882, at Macon, Illinois, and was the son of the late Levi and Matti Lanning Traul. He came to Ottumwa in 1855 with his parents, and was married to Virgie Miller in 1903. He was a former employee of the Milwaukee Railroad here, moving to Blue Island about 20 years ago where he worked for the Rock Island Rail Road as a conductor until August of 1945 when he retired. He was a member of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen and the Order of Railway Conductors. The body will arrive at held and Thursday at 7 AM and will be brought to the Traul funeral chapel where friends may call. Surviving are his wife, Virgie; one daughter, Mrs. Myrtle Camron of Los Angeles, California and one brother, Luke Traul of Ottumwa, and two grandchildren. Pallbearers for the services will be chosen from the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen and the order of Railway Conductors. Hugh L. Traul, 64, former Ottumwa railroad employee died about noon today at his home at Blue Island, Illinois where he had resided for the past 28 years. He was a retired passenger conductor for the Rock Island Railroad, and a former employee of the Milwaukee Railroad here.

November 2, 1946
Thomas I. Elliott Dies At Age Of 91
Thomas Irvin Elliott, 91, died at 3:45 PM Saturday at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Lew Schafer, 210 Oakwood Ave. Born February 20, 1855 at Gallipolis, Ohio, he was the son of Jacob and Katherine Elliot and came to Ottumwa 62 years ago as a farmer, later being employed by the Milwaukee Railroad. He retired in 1934. He was married to Mary Francis Harbour, September 27, 1877, at Gallipolis. Surviving are two daughters, Mrs. Schaffer of Ottumwa, and Mrs. Lucille Arnold of Hollywood, California; one son, Eddie Elliot of Ottumwa; eight grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. His wife, four daughters and one son preceded him in death. Mr. Elliott was one of those older citizens of the community who was honored during the recent Iowa centennial observance. The body will be taken from the Carroll Reese funeral home this afternoon to the Schafer home, where funeral services will be held Tuesday at 2 PM in charge of Rev. John Hastie. Burial will be in the Ottumwa cemetery. Pallbearers will be Ed Hilliard, Bob Ruckman, Harold Henson, Waldo Belvel, Glenn Carlson and Herb Booz.

Ottumwa Courier December 15, 1946
Hugh M. Allerdice
Hugh M. Allerdice of 1818 Gladstone St., employee of the Milwaukee Railroad, died at 5:15 AM Sunday at the Ottumwa Hospital. The son of Alexander and Mary E. Allerdice, he was born in Jefferson County, but had been a resident of Ottumwa for the past 15 years. He had worked for the Milwaukee for 22 years prior to last January when he quit because of ill health. He was a member of the Brotherhood of Railway Trainman. Surviving are his wife Mildred; a stepson Richard; two brothers, Charles Allerdice, Auburn, Washington and William Allerdice, Memphis, Missouri; two sisters, Mrs. Kate Parsons, Mankato, Kansas and Mrs. Mabel Blythe, Centerville. He was preceded in death by his parents, two sisters and one brother; funeral services will be at 10:30 AM Wednesday at the Johnson funeral Chapel, at 1 PM in the Christian church at Mystic, conducted by the Rev. Bruce B. Matthews of the Davis Street Christian Church. Burial will be at Highland Cemetery, 2 miles west of Mystic.

Related Milwaukee Deaths

Ottumwa Courier September 1, 1936 
Accident Victim Dies In Hospital
Riley O. Hill, 76, Had Suffered Fractured Shoulder July 31 In Train Mishap
Riley O. Hill, 76, of 531 Mechanic street, died at 10 pm Tuesday in the Ottumwa Hospital, where he had been a patient since he was struck by Milwaukee passenger train No. 8, July 31. Mr. Hill was standing by the tracks near South Benton Street when he was struck. He suffered a fractured shoulder and cuts and bruises. He was the son of William and Margaret Hill and was born in Fulton County, Illinois, November 11, 1859. He lived in Ottumwa for the last 14 years. Surviving are one sister, Mrs. N. J. Harkless of Ottumwa, and three brothers, Lewis and Elmer Hill of Canton, Illinois, and John of Ottumwa. Funeral services will be held Thursday at 2 PM in Johnson's funeral Chapel, conducted by the Rev. A. D. McClure. Burial be made in Shaul cemetery. 

Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, October 25, 1910
Ottumwa friends of W. H. Gridley will regret to learn of his death, which occurred in the Little Rock hospital at Little Rock, Ark., yesterday. Mr. Gridley was a former resident of the city, and was a pioneer railroad constructor. He started the construction work of the Milwaukee from here to Kansas City. He married Miss Annette Carberry, who will be remembered by many Ottumwans
Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, November 15, 1910
George C. Chadwick.
George C. Chadwick was born near Hedrick, la., August 22, 1871 and died in Ottumwa, November 7, 1910, aged 39 years 2 months and 17 days lived with his parents until July 19, 1891, when he was united in marriage with Miss Ola Ulin. Two daughters and one son were born to this union, the son having died in infancy. He leaves to mourn his loss a wife, two daughters, father, mother, two brothers, and .three sisters. He was converted to the faith during the William A. Sunday meetings which were held in Ottumwa a few years ago. He came with his family to Ottumwa fourteen years ago. He was employed by the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway Co., for five years, after which he was employed by the Hardsocg Manufacturing Co., where he worked up to the time of his last illness. He was a hardworking, industrious man, always looking forward to the best interests of his loved ones. He will be sadly missed, not only in his immediate family but among the hosts of friends who survive him
Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, July 01, 1911
The funeral services over the remains of George Gilbert, conductor on the Milwaukee, who died at the hospital in Davenport yesterday afternoon at 12:45 o'clock from injuries received when run over by an engine at Buffalo near Davenport yesterday morning, will be held tomorrow afternoon at 3 o'clock at the Congregational church in Marion, conducted by the Rev. Robert J. Locke, pastor of the church of this city. Interment will be made in the Marion cemetery. The remains were brought to Ottumwa last evening on Milwaukee No. 5. they will be taken to Marion tomorrow morning at 10:15 o'clock. George Washington Gilbert was one of the oldest employees of the Milwaukee, having been in the service for the past thirty years. He was born in New Carlyle County, Ill., September 17, 1854. At the age of ten he removed with his parents to Forester, Ill., where he resided for a period of five years. He then went to Marion, Iowa, where he resided until his removal to Ottumwa several years ago. Besides the immediate family Mr. Gilbert leaves two brothers and four sisters, William of Beloit, Wis., Clay of Illinois and Miss Elizabeth Gilbert, Mrs. Fannie Conrad, Miss Jennie Gilbert and Mrs. Sadie McGraw, all of Rockford, Illinois.
Veteran Conductor A. W. Bell, who for several years past has been in charge of the way freight run on the
Marion line of the Milwaukee between Ottumwa and Marlon, died at his home in Marion yesterday afternoon about 4:40 o'clock. His age at the time of death was about 72 years and he was an employee of the Milwaukee for a great many years, being one of the oldest men both in years and service that run into Ottumwa. His death followed a long period of illness during most of which time he has been absent from his run. He is survived by a daughter and four sons, one of whom is Conductor Frank Bell of Ottumwa, also of the Milwaukee. The funeral will be held in Marlon tomorrow but the hour was not learned.

Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, March 07, 1912
Coroner Slaught Asserts Indications Point to Fact That Suffocation Was Cause of Death—McCabe Fought Flames.
Hanging over the edge of the sink, with his face pressed down among the pans and kettles and firmly clutching
a kerosene lamp, Eugene McCabe, a Milwaukee engineer, aged about fifty five years, was found dead In the
kitchen of his home, 616 West Second street at 11 o'clock this morning. The body was frozen, rigid in its crumpled position, indicating that death came many hours before. Information given by neighbors shows McCabe has not been seen since Saturday afternoon. It is probable that he met his death Saturday night as the snow which fell on that night, was unbroken at every door. The partial destruction by fire of a bed in a room adjoining the kitchen and of a tub full of bed clothes Just beside the sink, together with burns of McCabe's hands and head, indicate that death was the result of being overcome with smoke and perhaps gases from the lamp. Mr. McCabe lived alone.
L. C. Stiles, meter reader for the Ottumwa Railway & Light Co., made the gruesome discovery this morning.
Mr. McCabe has been accustomed to leave the key to the house, when absent, in a place where Mr. Stiles
could get in and enter the house to read the electric meter. The key was missing this morning. Going to the
rear door Mr. Stiles found it unlocked. Entering, the first sight that met his eyes, was the form of Mr. McCabe
bending over the sink. Mr. Stiles immediately telephoned to the police. Patrolman Al Lightner answered the
summons and after taking charge of the house, called Coroner A. W. Slaught.
Met Terrible Fate
Coroner Slaught, after making an investigation, asserted that it was very probable Mr. McCabe was overcome with smoke. The room indicates that McCabe came home, removed his hat coat and vest, all of which were found hanging over a chair nearby and was preparing to go to bed. The coal oil can was found sitting on a gas stove near the wash stand and from the oil that had emptied from the lamp into a pan just beneath, as it was held by Mr. McCabe it appears as if he had filled the lamp. How the bed in the next room caught on fire, those who were on the scene, cannot account for. It is thought that McCabe endeavored to fight the flames, neglecting his own safety and thus was a victim of suffocation by smoke. When the man toppled over in the sink it is evident that the lamp was
burning as his hair was slightly singed. The burns on his hands seems to show that they had been received in
his attempt to extinguish the fire in the bed as the mattress was torn and the excelsior thrown on the floor. There was also a coating of ice on the floor showing that water had been used on the flames.
Another Fire Started.
Very near the sink was a tub full of charred bed clothes, the burning of which cannot be accounted for. It is
possible that their nearness to the stove caused ignition by intense heat. The floor was slightly charred at the
edge of the tub. Another fact that indicates Mr. McCabe was in the act of retiring for the night is that his clothing was unfastened and one suspender was down. Mr. McCabe has lived alone, his wife having passed away just a year
Jury Empanelled.
In order that the exact conditions might be known to the jury who would sit at the inquest, Coroner Slaught secured three men before he permitted the body to be touched. George Phillips, Henry Wagers and Emery were sworn and made an investigation. It was the opinion of all three that Mr. McCabe had met death from suffocation. The inquest was then adjourned until tomorrow morning at 10 o'clock. The body was taken to the Sullivan undertaking parlors.
Pulled the Limited.
Mr. McCabe has been in the employ of the Milwaukee railroad for the past thirty-live years, having pulled the
Southwest limited until ten days ago, when, he took a ten days layoff to go to Laredo, Mo., his former home. He
had lived in Ottumwa for the past six years. Two nieces survive him, Miss Mary Tague and Mrs. Opal Hardin, 
both of this city, and one cousin James Connors, superintendent of motive power at Dubuque. The Milwaukee officials have taken charge of the man's affairs until Mr. Connors arrives from Dubuque.

Henny Doran, Lad Who Did Mr. McCabe's Chores Was There After Fire Occurred—Jurymen Base Verdict on His Evidence.
According to the verdict of the coroner's jury at 11 o'clock this morning, Eugene McCabe, the Milwaukee engineer who was found dead yesterday morning at his home, succumbed to acute alcoholism and not smoke suffocation as was the conclusion of the jury, when first empaneled yesterday morning. The testimony of Henry Doran, the lad who had been doing chores for Mr. McCabe, caused the jurymen to return such a verdict. It was also shown by the testimony that the last seen of Mr. McCabe was Fri day afternoon about 4 o'clock, thus refuting the statements of those who informed Coroner Slaught yesterday that he had been seen Saturday. 
Young Doran was at the McCabe house after the fire had occurred and in fact helped to extinguish it.
Tells of Conversation.
Mr. McCabe registered and stayed at a local hotel Thursday night Doran went over Friday morning and found
the house full of smoke. Mr. McCabe was there. The young man told the jury that Mr. McCabe was under the
influence of liquor at the time. The fire was still burning and Doran asserted he extinguished it. When he asked Mr. McCabe how the fire started the latter said about 3 o'clock Friday morning his feet got cold and he put the electric light globe in bed, resting his feet on it. McCabe said that in some way he broke the globe and it set his bedding on fire. He carried the bed clothing to a tub and turned the hose on it.
 He extinguished the burning mattress, he told young Doran with the hose also. The jury, however, discredited the theory of the electric light globe starting the fire, holding that an incandescent will not burn when exposed to the air. It is not known just how the fire started.
Since Mr. McCabe stayed at the hotel all night, it is thought by the jury that the fire occurred in the morning hours. The lad asserted that he left Mr. McCabe about 12:30 o'clock in the afternoon Friday and has not seen him since. He further stated that Mr. McCabe remarked that he had such a cold that he was afraid it would kill him. He could hardly talk. Since he had a lamp in his hands it is supposed that his death occurred in the evening. When Doran asked to open the house and let the dense smoke out, he told the jury Mr. McCabe said to let it go as he was going
down town, and that he (Doran) did not need to do the chores anymore as he was going to lock up the house and
board somewhere.
Tells of Fire.
T. P. Baker, a neighbor of Mr. McCabe stated on the witness stand that he saw smoke coming from the doors
and windows of the house Thursday morning and that when he investigated, he found Mr. McCabe there. He
offered to help Mr. McCabe but the latter refused to answer him and closed the door. Mr. Baker said he waited
for some little time and everything seemed to be all right in the house. Although Mr. Baker asserted it was
Thursday morning that this occurred, he said it might have been Friday morning. Doran's testimony showed
the fire occurred Friday morning. L. C. Stiles, of the Ottumwa Railway & Light Co. who first made the discovery of the dead man, was also a witness, telling the jury of the unbroken snow around the house. Patrolman Al Lightner testified as to his part in the investigation.
The Verdict of the Jury.
The coroner's jury returned the following verdict: "We, the jury, find the deceased came to his death at a time unknown to these jurors, after 4 p. m., on the first day of March and 12 o'clock noon on the 5th day of March, 1912. We further find that death was due to acute alcoholism." Coroner A. W. Slaught empanelled the jury yesterday morning at the McCabe home on West Second street, in order that the jurors, Henry Wagers, Bert Emery and George Phillips, might see the position in which the body was found and the appearance of the house. 
The funeral of Eugene McCabe will be held tomorrow morning from Sullivan chapel at 7:30 and from St. Mary's
Catholic Church at 8 o'clock. The body will be taken to Chillicothe, Mo., on Milwaukee No. 3 for burial. 
Funeral services over the remains of Eugene McCabe were held this morning at 8 o'clock at St. Mary's Catholic
church, conducted by Rev. Father F. W. Hoppmann. The remains were taken at 10:30 o'clock on Milwaukee
No. 3 to Chillicothe, Mo., where burial will be made.
Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, March 09, 1912

Samuel William Brown, aged 59 years, for twenty-nine years an employee of the Milwaukee railroad, died
this morning at 12:30 o'clock at his home, on Blackhawk Street of typhoid fever. Mr. Brown had been a resident of Iowa since entering the service of the Milwaukee and had resided in Ottumwa for several years, coming here
from Chillicothe, Mo. He was employed in the capacity of a boilermaker. The decedent was born in Dain County, Wisconsin, February 20, 1853. He was a member of Sanborn lodge No. 434 of the I. O. O. F. and of Chillicothe camp of the M. W. A. Besides his wife, he leaves one daughter Mrs. Ella E. Melick and one son Walter M. Brown of Ottumwa. Three sisters and three brothers also survive, Mrs. Grace Westenhaver, Baraboo, Wis., Mrs. Margaret Dickerson, Lone Rock, Wis., Mrs. Jennie Thompson, Charles City, Iowa, John Brown of Newton, Kan., Thomas Brown of Lone Rock, Wis., and Charles Brown of Orchard, Iowa. 
Mr. Brown was a kind father and a loving husband and has held a high place 
in the esteem of his many friends and brother employees. Funeral services will be held at the residence. 
The remains will be taken to Chillicothe, Mo., for burial. Further arrangements have not been made.
Ottumwa tri-weekly courier, March 21, 1912
Miles Crawford Succumbs At His Home Here Today 
Miles M. Crawford died this afternoon at 2:30 o'clock at his home, 203 North Holt Street, after an illness that
had continued since last Christmas. At his bedside were his wife, his mother and sister, Agnes. No arrangements have been made for the funeral. Miles Crawford was born in Ottumwa and had spent most of his life in the local Catholic school. He had been a lifelong member of St. Mary's church, and for the past ten years had been a member of the male chorus. For a period of over five years, or until he left Ottumwa for Maiden, Wash., he was director of the organization. Mr. Crawford was a cigar maker during his early life, and for a time was a partner in what was known as the C. & C. Cigar factory. 
Later he became associated with the Doty Clothing Co., 
and then took up clerical work with the Milwaukee railroad. It was in the latter capacity that he moved to Maiden, Wash., 
where he was clerk the superintendent of the Chicago, Milwaukee & Puget Sound road. On August 1, 1911, with his wife he returned to Ottumwa, and after a brief vacation here, they moved to Peoria, where Mr. Crawford again entered the cigar business. He was ill for a time in the Illinois city and at Christmas time, he returned to this city. He was able to assist the male chorus of St. Mary's in the Christmas masses, but in a few days he was compelled to take to his bed. He was only able to be about a short time since first taken ill here. Surviving are his wife, mother, Mrs. Honora Crawford, two sisters, Miss Agnes of Ottumwa, and Mrs. Mollie Dummler of Peoria, Ill., and two brothers, David of Des Moines and Joseph of Peoria. Miles Crawford was one of the best liked young men of Ottumwa. By the members of St. Mary's choir and the other organizations with which he was affiliated, he was highly respected. He also was prominent in local musical circles and his strong bass voice has charmed many audiences in local amateur theatricals and musical programs. He had served in the offices of General Shields council Knights of Columbus, and his loss will be keenly regretted by all. 

Submitted & Transcribed by John Davis