ALTON - (first called East Orange) Nassau township, Sioux County, Platted 1873, Incorporated 1881, First
settled 1870, Railroad arrived 1872, built station 1870, built hotel 1873 and a saloon was erected
same year and closed, the school used the building.
- Nassau Township Cemetery located in Section 5 which is west of Alton. Greg
Jansen caretaker and keeper of the records, a position which has been in the family
for many years. First burials were in 1880's, but most early graves did not have
headstones. The poor were buried in a back corner. Records are complete
from 1900 for death and burial dates only.
St. Mary Catholic Cemetery records at the rectory.
- Alton is served by Funeral Homes from Orange City & Remsen
- Reformed Church 810 3rd St., organized 26 May 1877. A 100 year anniversary
pamphlet can be found in the Alton Library. There are no archives and some early
minutes have been lost. A membership book does exist and the older book has been
copied by the GSCGS and is in the Mark Twain Room of the Sioux Center Public
- St. Mary's Rectory 607 10th St Alton IA, was organized 1881.
Presbyterian Church 311 12th Alton IA , organized August 1911 .
Congregational Church established 1890 - 1911, after dissolved formed Presbyterian
Christian Science Society Jan 1908 - Jan 1965.
- Alton Public Library 909 3rd Ave. Box 379 Alton IA 51003 Ph: 712-756-4516
Library began April 22, 1923 in space back of the Jewelry store.
Hours: Mon-Wed 10-5,Thurs 10-8:30pm, Fri 10-5, Sat 10-4.
Items of interest: an early plat map of Alton, Granville
History, and old newspapers and microfilm of same. Have a micro film reader no
- Alton Democrat papers are located at the library, both the originals and microfilm
from May 25,1893 (first year of issue) through 1976. The older Alton newspapers are an
excellent source since it had correspondence columns from many of the surrounding
- Alton IA 1883-1983 Centennial History