IAGenWeb Project

Shelby County

John Henry Tallman

Descendants of James Henry TALLMAN and Landora Jane RICHTSTINE

1. James Henry1 TALLMAN [567], born 29 Aug 1844 in Canal Winchester, 
Frnkln, Oh; died 16 Feb 1905 in Harlan, Shelby, Iowa; buried 19 Feb 1905 in 
Harlan, Shelby, Iowa. He married on 31 Dec 1868 in Rome Twp, Jones, Iowa, 
Landora Jane RICHTSTINE [568], born 29 Oct 1849 in Olin, Jones, Iowa; 
died 11 Dec 1932 in Tulsa, Tulsa, Ok; buried  in Harlan, Shelby, Iowa, 
daughter of John RICHTSTINE (Jr.) [595] and Elizabeth Ann GRAFT [596]. 

Notes for James Henry TALLMAN
  Batch A537091, 537093, 53720, 537201, 537202. Greene & Carroll Co. Iowa 
Pub: Lewis Pub Co. (1887) 977.7 L585 page 325-6. 1880 Census Green Co. Iowa. 
1870 Census Jones Co. Rome Twp. Death Cert of James Henry Tallman and 
Landora Jane.

  He is the son of John TALLMAN Jr. and Lucinda LOW. James came to Jones 
County, Iowa with his parents in 1845. He was only 1 year old. He was a Civil 
War  soldier, Company E. 31st Iowa Infantry 14 August 1862 and discharged at 
Louisville, Kentucky 27 June 1865. His unit entered federal service at 
Davenport 13 Oct 1862: went to Helena, Ark. and fought at Chickasaw Bayou, 
Mississippi. Ark. Post and the  Campaign for Vicksburg. James was engaged in 
the attack on Jackson, Mississippi and battles for Chattanooga, Tenn. and 
Ringgold, Ga., was in the campaign for  Atlanta and the march through Ga. 
into the Carolinas.
  After the war he attended school at Mt. Vernon, Iowa and taught school for 
three years. In the spring of 1868, he went to Denver, Colorado and taught 
school near there for a time then traveled among the mines in the mountains; 
returning in the fall of that same year. In 1874, Mr. TALLMAN came to Greene 
County, Iowa and acquired 240 acres of good land and engaged in farming and 
stock raising. Soon after he purchased his land in 1875, the rail road 
purchased a right of way through his farm (the Chicago Rock Island and 
Pacific). Having the vision that his farm was a potential town site, James 
had a plot surveyed by N. Stetson, County Surveyor and called it the town 
of Paton. Then formed a committee of town fathers of which he was one. 
Then proceeded to sell off the lots. After the original lots were sold James 
surveyed the first addition and then the second addition. Most of  the lots 
were sold off by 1883. One street is named in his honor and he gave a parcel 
to the town for a park, which is named after him. He served two years as 
town trustee. From the middle 1880's until he moved, James and Landora 
farmed a small parcel of 110 acres and had a prosperous farm unit.

  After the lots were sold or at least most of them were sold, they removed 
to Harlan, Shelby County, Iowa, in October 1891, he purchased lots 10,11 
and 12 in Block 56 of Long Addition, in the city of Harlan. These lots are 
on the north west corner of 4th street and Baldwin Street and the  is on the 
north west corner of 5th street and Willow street in the City of Harlan Iowa. 
When  James and Landora brought their family north they all came together 
even though the two older childrenwere marriageable age. 

  Wilbur was married in May and Gertrude in September of 1893. The home 
they lived in was on5th street and is still standing (1988) The house is two 
story and records indicate that it hasbeen remodeled.                                               

  The 1900 Census of Harlan recorded the TALLMAN family living at 402 
Baldwin which is the address of the house. On the 23 Day of November 1898 
James and Landora purchased a parcel, #12, block #78 of the Long tract. On 
10 August 1901 James sold the house on 402 Baldwin and they moved to 502 
Willow the new lot after the house was built. In January 1903 James passed 
the ownership to Landora his wife and he died in 1905. Landora lived at 502 
Willow  until 1908 when she married Thomas A. Long 14 October 1908.
  Both James H. TALLMAN and Landora Jane RICHTSTINE are buried at the 
Harlan City Cemetery Section 1 Plot 139 Space 5 and 6. (Thomas N. FRANKLIN 
having previously purchased the plot when his wife Gertrude P. TALLMAN died 
March 1895. Thomas N. FRANKLIN is also buried there.                                           

Notes for Landora Jane RICHTSTINE
  Landora Jane RICHTSTINE the daughter of John RICHTSTINE Jr and Elizabeth 
Ann GRAFT.Born in Olin, Jones County, Iowa on 29 October 1849 and she died 
in Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma on 11 December 1932. She is buried in 
Harlan Shelby County, Iowa beside her husband, James Henry TALLMAN. On 
31 December 1869 in Jones County, Iowa, Landora Jane RICHTSTINE married 
James Henry TALLMAN. Landora married second to Thomas A. LONG on 14 
October 1908. Landora's mother Elizabeth Ann GRAFT, was left with four 
young children when John RICHTSTINE Jr. died in Linn County, Iowa probably 
Marion Township, while working as a carpenter. They owned a farm in Jones 
County, Iowa and the family returned there. Landora's mother sold all of the 
farm of over 200 acres except 40 acres where the house was, obviously because 
she couldn't raise four children and run a large farm alone. When Landora was 
only 5 years old her mother Elizabeth (GRAFT) RICHTSTINE married second 
to Adam KRAMER. So she was raised mostly by the step-father and her mother.
She had one brother and two sisters that left home soon after their mothers 
remarriage and step-brothers and sisters came to live in the home.

  Both James H. TALLMAN and Landora Jane RICHTSTINE are buried at the 
Harlan  City Cemetery Section 1 Plot 139 Space 5 and 6. (Thomas N. FRANKLIN 
having previously purchased the plot when his wife Gertrude P. TALLMAN died 
March 1895. Thomas N. FRANKLIN is also buried there.

  Their children are--Wilbur M., Gertie P. and James O. Mr. Tallman came to 
this county in the spring of 1874. He owns 110 acres of good land and is 
engaged in farming and stock- raising. 

  Children of James Henry TALLMAN and Landora Jane RICHTSTINE were as follows:
+ 2    i      Wilbur Maxwell2 TALLMAN [559], born 30 Oct 1869 in
Rome Twp, Jones,   Iowa. He married Maud Lillian BOWLIN [560]. 
+ 3    ii    Gertrude Pearl2 TALLMAN [571], born 4 Feb 1877 in
Paton, Greene, Iowa.    She married Thomas FRANKLIN [570]. 
+ 4    iii   James Oliver2 TALLMAN [572], born 7 Mar 1880 in Paton,
Greene, Iowa. He  married Mabel Pauline FRINK [573]. 

                              Generation 2

2. Wilbur Maxwell2 TALLMAN [559] (James Henry1), born 30 Oct 1869 in Rome 
Twp, Jones, Iowa; died 14 May 1949 in Des Moines, Polk, Iowa; buried  in Des 
Moines, Polk, Iowa. He married on 31 May 1893 in Harlan, Shelby, ia, Maud 
Lillian BOWLIN [560], born 16 Aug 1870 in Dehlonega, Wapello, Iowa; died 
15 Jul 1945 in Des Moines, Polk, Iowa; buried  in Des Moines, Polk, Iowa, 
daughter of William Henry BOWLIN [604] and Mary Jane WARD [605]. 
Notes for Wilbur Maxwell TALLMAN
  Wilbur Maxwell Tallman worked for the Rock Island Rail Road for 47 years 
starting in Harlan Shelby County, Iowa before he married. He transferred to 
different areas after marriage until he removed to Des Moines in about 1913.  
He and Maud lived there most of their lives.
  Wilbur was a telegrapher and rail road agent in the different towns and cities 
where they lived. After retirement he and Maud moved to California and lived 
on the farm with their son Arthur Dewey for a couple of years and then about 
1940 moved to Costa Mesa, California in their sons home there. In about 1945 
Maud became very Ill and she wanted to die in Iowa so they returned to their 
home in Des Moines, Iowa, where both passed away, Maud in 1945 and 
Wilbur in 1949. They are buried in the Glendale Cemetery, Des Moines, Polk 
Co., Iowa.
Notes for Maud Lillian BOWLIN
  Maud's Great Great Grand-father was Peter Bowlin who came from the Rock 
of Gibraltar. His son John Bowlin who was born 15 December 1779 married 
Elizabeth Barnhouse, who was born on 5 October 1781, and they had a son 
Joseph Bowlin who was born 24 March 1807, and died 9 February 1895, in 
Ottumwa, Wapello County, Iowa and he married 27 August 1829 to Barbara
Ayers who was born on 19 January 1810, their son was William Henry Bowlin 
and he was born 24  1844. He married Mary Jane WARD and are the parents 
of Maud Lillian BOWLIN. For more information on the BOWLIN Family refer 
to my book, "Bowlin Family History". A copy is in the Family History Library, 
Salt Lake City, Utah.
  Wilbur and Maud lived in California (Bakersfield) with their son, Dewey, 
for a couple of years 1937-8,  also during that time their daughter Beryl 
lived in California with them. Beryl's daughter Maxine went to the local 
school with Dewey's two sons, Don and Ralph. Wilbur and Maud lived in 
Costa Mesa from 1941 to 1944 in a house owned by their son Dewey. When 
Maud was ailing she wanted to go back to Des Moines which they did and 
Maud died soon after.
  Maud Lillian BOWLIN married first to Bruce WELKER and the marriage 
ended in divorce. Thismarriage produced one Son Ralph WELKER who died 
in Sacramento, California. 

  Children of Wilbur Maxwell TALLMAN and Maud Lillian BOWLIN were as follows:
 + 5 i    Gertrude Mae3 TALLMAN [563], born 22 Apr 1894 in Harlan, Shelby, 
            Iowa. She married Victor Alonzo GUNN [562]. 
 + 6 ii   Arthur Dewey3 TALLMAN [555], born 13 May 1898 in Harlon, Shelby, 
            Iowa. He married Zulo EMERSON [556]. 
 + 7 iii  Beryl Elizabeth3 TALLMAN [565], born 30 Jul 1903 in Underwood, 
            Potmie, Iowa. She married (1) Ralph GUNN [564]. 
            She married (2) Burt LONG

3. Gertrude Pearl2 TALLMAN [571] (James Henry1), born 4 Feb 1877 in Paton, 
Greene, Iowa; died 25 Mar 1895 in Harlan, Shelby, Iowa. She married on 20 Sep 
1893 in Harlan, Shelby, Iowa, Thomas FRANKLIN [570], born 10 Jun 1864 in , 
Summit, Utah. 
Notes for Gertrude Pearl TALLMAN
  Gertrude Pearl TALLMAN the daughter of James Henry Tallman and Landora 
Jane Richtstine. Gertrude was born in Paton Green County, Iowa on 4 February 
1877 and she died a few days after the birth of her first child in Harlan, Shelby 
County, Iowa. on 27 March 1895. Gertrude is buried in the Harlan City 
Cemetery, in the same plot that her husband and her parents are buried. On 
20 September 1893 in Harlan Shelby County, Iowa Gertrude Pearl 
TALLMAN married Thomas Nelson FRANKLIN. Gertrude Pearl had a very 
short life, she died when only 18 years old.
  The gentleman to whom attention is directed in this review had attained 
prestige by reason of native and acquired ability because of prominence of 
his position in banking circles and by reason of his high standing in the 
domain of citizenship. He takes a deep and abiding interest in everything 
pertaining to the material advancement of his city and county and lends 
his hearty support to every enterprise intended to promote the advancement 
of Shelby County.
  His family was one of those who had the distinction of being numbered 
among the pioneers of the Groves, Mr. Franklin has lived the greater part 
of his life within the borders of his home county. As vice-president of the 
oldest financial institution in Shelby county he holds a position of honor, 
trust and responsibility in the community.
  Thomas N. FRANKLIN, vice-president of the Shelby County State Bank, 
was born June 10, 1864, in Summit County, Utah, and was the son of 
Thomas J. FRANKLIN, a native of England. The father was an officer in 
the British Army before coming to America and came of an excellent 
English family. He emigrated to this county about 1850, and after 
spending some time in the Middle West he journeyed to Utah a few 
years after the great migration of Mormon settlers or Latter Day Saints. 
He became affiliated with this denomination and took some part in 
establishing the settlements in the state founded by the latter Day Saint 
leaders. He was one of the officers of the church organization in Utah, 
but in 1870 he renounced his belief in the faith of this church and united 
with the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, after 
which he moved to Missouri where he died some years afterwards. The 
wife of Thomas J. FRANKLIN and the mother of Thomas N. was Mary 
Elizabeth LUNDSTROM, a native of Sweden who came to America 
when sixteenyears of age. She died in Harlan in 1907 and was the 
mother of five children, Henry died at the age of seventeen years; J. M. 
resides near Cameron, Missouri; Mrs. Selina Clark lives at Ukiah, 
California; Thomas N., with whom this narrative deals; Mrs Julia V. 
Mockler, of Bismarck, North Dakota.
  Mr. Franklin has been twice married. His first marriage occurred in 
September, 1893. He married Gertrude TALLMAN, who died March 
27, 1895, leaving one daughter, Mabel Gertrude, a student in the Music 
Conservatory at Fargo, North Dakota. His second marriage took place 
May 12, 1907, to Pearl S. MC CORD, a daughter of Bradley and Mary 
E. MC CORD, of Harlan. To thismarriage have been born the following 
children: Mary Elizabeth, born October 6, 1899: Maxine, born November 
10, 1901: Thomas Bradley, born February 14, 1906, and Mignon Velate, 
born December 31, 1913.
  Mr. Franklin is allied with the Democratic party and takes an interest in 
political affairs to the extent of assisting in the election of good and 
capable men to office. He is a member of the Reorganized Church of Latter 
Day Saints. He is fraternally connected with the Knights of Pythias and the 
Blue Lodge of the A. F. and A. M of Harlan. His standing in the community 
as one of its well respected and useful citizens is assured.
Notes for Thomas FRANKLIN
  For notes on Thomas Franklin see his first wife Gertrude Tallman

  Children of Gertrude Pearl TALLMAN and Thomas FRANKLIN were as 
  + 8    i   Mabel Gertrude3 FRANKLIN [2881], born 14 Mar 1895 in 
               Harlan, Shelby, Iowa. She married Reginald V. RORABAUGH [4006]. 

4. James Oliver2 TALLMAN [572] (James Henry1), born 7 Mar 1880 in Paton, 
Greene, Iowa; died 26 May 1965 in Costa Masa, Orange, California. He 
married on 25 Dec 1899 in Harlan, Shelby, Iowa, Mabel Pauline FRINK 
[573], born 26 Jul 1881 in San Francisco, California; died 27 Nov 1962 
in Costa Mesa, Orange, California; buried  in Harbor Rest, Costa Mesa, 
Orange, Calif.. 
Notes for James Oliver TALLMAN
  REC:Descendants of Peter Tallman by Harry Terrel.
  REC:Past and Present of Green Co. (1907) by Stillman.
  James Tallman grew up in Paton, Greene County, Iowa and removed to 
Harlan with his parants, and joined the Army from Harlan Shelby County,
 Iowa to fight in the Spanish American War. He enlisted 4 May 1898 for 
two years. His unit, Co. C. of the 51st Regiment, Iowan Inf. was sent to 
the Philippines and returned at the end of the War.
  While in San Francisco on his way home from the Philippines he met his 
wife Pauline. He convinced her she should return to Iowa and marry him 
which she did.
  Returning to California, he lived in San Jose California for two years, 
working as a salesman for a Creamery Company. Returned to Iowa and 
workedfor a building contractor and for a short time on a bridge building 
crew on the Rock Island Railroad. When he returned again to California 
he worked as Construction Superintendant of building gasoline plants that 
make gasoline from Natural Oil Products until his retirement.
Notes for Mabel Pauline FRINK
  REC:Descendants of Peter Tallman by Harry Terrel.
  REC:Past and Present of Green Co. (1907) by Stillman.

  Children of James Oliver TALLMAN and Mabel Pauline FRINK were 
as follows:
  9 i  Hester3 TALLMAN [857], born 16 Sep 1900 in San Jose, California; 
        died 31 Oct 1977 in Long Beach, Long Beach, California.   
        REC:Descendants of Peter Tallman by Harry Terrel.  
        REC:Past and Present of Green Co. (1907) by Stillman.  
        Hester Tallman Graduated from UCLA with a Bachelor of Education
        degree. She taught Jr. High School in Los Angeles County, California 
        for three  years. Taught Jr. High in Coalinga California for two years 
        in the same school system that she graduated from High School. 
        Taught five  years in Costa Mesa California and retired to take care 
        of her ageing parents, in Costa Mesa.  After her  parents both died 
        Hester removed to Long Beach, California and lived until she  died there. 
        Hester Tallman never married and has no children.

                                                                             Generation 3

5. Gertrude Mae3 TALLMAN [563] (Wilbur Maxwell2, James Henry1), born 
22 Apr 1894 inHarlan, Shelby, Iowa; died 22 Sep 1980 in Sioux City, Iowa. 
She married on 21 Jun 1916 in DesMoines, Polk, Iowa, Victor Alonzo GUNN 
[562], born 12 Jun 1894 in Evan, Iowa; died 23 Nov1980 in Sioux City, Iowa. 
Notes for Gertrude Mae TALLMAN
  Gertrude Mae TALLMAN6 the daughter of Wilbur Maxwell TALLMAN and 
Maud LillianBOWLIN. Gertrude was born in Harlan Shelby County, Iowa 
April 1894 and she died inSioux City, Iowa on 22 September 1980. 
  On 21 June 1916 in Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa Gertrude Mae TALLMAN 
marriedVictor Alonzo GUNN, who was born in Evan, Iowa on 12 June 1894 and
 he died inSioux City, Iowa on 23 November 1980. Victor is the son of Hugh 
AlexanderGUNN and Catherine ADEY.
  Gertrude Mae went to the public school in Harlan, Iowa where she was born 
and completed College in Iowa Schools. She married Victor in Des Moines and 
lived there many years,spending their last years in Sioux City, Iowa. May 
(TALLMAN) GUNN was a member of the Sioux City Woman's organizations. 
She was a dedicated member of the First Methodist Church's Women's Society 
of Christian Service and a past president of the Harriet Ballou New Hope 
Center board.
  Victor GUNN who was in marketing all of his life. Starting as a salesman 
and becoming Executive Vice President and General manager of Knapp and 
Spencer Inc.
   Victor and Mae came to Sioux City in the fall of 1946. Both had been active 
in community and church affairs. He was president of the Methodist Hospital 
board of directors; a member of the Sioux City Chamber of Commerce and its 
postal affairs committee; and belonged to the Rotary Club, the Abu Bekr Shrine 
Temple and other Masonic bodies. He has volunteered his services for 
numerous civic drives, including the United Fund and the YMCA. Mr. 
Gunn served on the board of trusties and the finance committee and was 
treasurer of the building fund of the first Methodist. He was an active 
member of the United Church Men.
   Other affiliations include the Hawkeye Club, the Sioux City Country Club 
and the MetropolitanDinner Club. He was a past president of the Knife and 
Fork Club.
Notes for Victor Alonzo GUNN
  Data for Victor is recorded with his wife.

  Children of Gertrude Mae TALLMAN and Victor Alonzo GUNN were as follows:
  10   i     Victor Addison4 GUNN [2390], born 19 Jul 1920 in Des Moines, Polk, Iowa;
   died 13 Sep 1996 in Dallas, Texas.   Records of Gertrude Mae (Tallman) Gunn 
   BIRTH & DEATH: date received from Betsey Hoppe (letter dated Dec 1996).
  11  ii     Elizabeth (Betsy)4 GUNN [2389], born 28 May 1924 in Des Moines, Polk,
   Iowa.     Elizabeth (Gunn) Hoppe
  12  iii    Hugh Tallman4 GUNN [2442], born 4 Jul 1934 in Des Moines, Polk, Iowa.  
   Records of Gertrude Mae (Tallman) Gunn Hugh was Living in Dayton, Ohio in
   1996. (Letter from Betsey Hoppe in Dec. 1996).

6. Arthur Dewey3 TALLMAN [555] (Wilbur Maxwell2, James Henry1), born 13 
May 1898 in Harlon, Shelby, Iowa; died 4 Apr 1955 in Mojave, Kern, Ca; buried 
7 Apr 1955 in Tehachapi Cem., Kern, California. He married on 31 May 1924 in 
Fullerton, Orange, California, Zulo EMERSON [556], born 21 Jan 1900 in 
Pattiway, Kern, California; died 1 Nov 1981 in Bakersfield, Kern, California; 
buried 3 Nov 1981 in Tehachapi, Kern, California, daughter of Henry Alexander 
EMERSON [2191] and Elmie NICHOLSON [627]. 
Notes for Arthur Dewey TALLMAN
  Arthur Dewey TALLMAN the son of Wilbur Maxwell TALLMAN and Maud 
Lillian BOWLIN. Arthur was born in Harlan Shelby County Iowa 13 May 1898. 
On 31 May in 1924 at Fullerton, Orange County, California Arthur Dewey 
TALLMAN married Zulo EMERSON. Zulo is the daughter of Henry Alexander 
EMERSON and Elmie NICHOLSON. Zulo was born on her father's ranch at 
Paleto, Kern County, California 21 January in the year 1900. Arthur died in the 
Mojave Hospital, Mojave, Kern County, California 4 April 1955 and is buried in 
the Tehachapi Cemetery, Tehachapi, California.
   Zulo died 1 November 1981 in Bakersfield, Kern County, California, and is 
buried beside her husband.
  Wilbur Maxwell, Arthur's father worked on the Rail Road and moved several 
times in Dewey's youth. In the 1900 Census of Harlan, Shelby County, Iowa, 
his father and family were living in Harlan, 307 Laurel Street. The map I have 
does not show Laurel Street with that low a number, but it could be Rail Road 
land, company houses. The family moved several times and when Dewey was 
about 16 the family moved to Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa where they stayed. 
In 1916, Dewey joined the Army and was in the service until the end of World 
War I in 1919. 
Arthur Dewey was assigned to the Texas border to keep Poncho Via on his side 
of the Mexican Border. When he was a young boy his mother would get him 
ready for church on Sunday and then his father would sneak him away to go to 
a base ball game. After returning to Iowa at the end of the War, Arthur found 
oddjobs but couldn't find what he wanted. He removed to California about 1920 
and got on 
working on Rail Road beds., repairing and building new ones. >From there he 
went south to his uncle Jim Tallman in Costa Mesa where through Hester 
Tallman Dewey's cousin he met Zulo EMERSON in college, and after a while 
they were married.
  Dewey and Zulo purchased a Store in Costa Mesa that sold Nonprescription 
Drugs and had an Ice Cream Parlor. He also worked for an Oil Company to 
offset the income from the newly opend Store. Things were going well until 
Zulo became very ill and they decided to move to Bakersfield and get out of 
the damp climate. 
  On Zulo's father's farm where they removed, Dewey became a farmer. This 
was during the depression years and there was no other work. Dewey and 
Zulo survived those years by staying on the farm. As times got better he 
worked for Monolith Portland Cement Company until his death in1955.

Notes for Zulo EMERSON
  Zulo EMERSON the daughter of Henry Alexander EMERSON and Elmie 
NICHOLSON.  Born in a small adobe house on the ranch homesteaded by 
her father in the Paleto Hills, at Pattiway, Kern County, California on 21 
January 1900. She died in Bakersfield, Kern County on 1 November 1981. 
On 31 May 1924 in Fullerton, Orange County, California, Zulo EMERSON 
married Arthur Dewey TALLMAN the son of Wilbur Maxwell TALLMAN 
and Maud Lillian BOWLIN. Zulo isburied in the Protestant Cemetery, 
Tehachapi, Kern County, beside Dewey.
  Zulo EMERSON's father, is a member of an early pioneer family. Her 
grand-father Edward Simpson Emerson arrived in California on a tramp 
steamer, named Tennessee in the year 1851,  and her grand-mother Julia 
Ann DUNBAR was only 12 years old when her family came to California 
on the overland trail by covered-wagon through the Donner Pass in the fall 
of 1849. Her Grand-mother Julia Ann states that she walked most of the way 
switching the oxen to keep
them going.
  Her father left the ranch soon after she was born and moved to Bakersfield. 
They purchased a home and lived on 'K' street, but only a short time, for in 
1902, Elmie her mother purchased 80 acres near Panama School shortly after 
they moved there. Her father had built a large home for them and Zulo lived 
there until she left to go to College (UCLA). There were very few farms in 
the area near their farm the social life was dances at the old Panama dance 
hall. Many times she said her sisters and brother would get dressed up and 
Waldo, her brother would drive them too the dance in a buggy. When she 
went to High School she boarded in town because it was to far to commute 
by wagon. As Zulo completed her last year in High School she wrote in her 
  I will include here what she wrote. "As the class prophecy is given to me in 
the Oracle, I will use this space as a place to record what happens to me and 
the other members of my class and also my friends.
  June 1919 Which meant to me a long rest from my year of study. 21st, Vena
McKee and I gave a dance at Panama. It was a success and all had a good time.
  Rosie R. was given a fare well party at her home. She has taken up nursing 
and is getting her education in a hospital in San Francisco. July: was hot and 
passed with no social events. August: Changed my plans about normal, in 
Santa Barbara and the last week in this month found me in the south spending 
a happy vacation with Hester (Hester is Arthur Dewey Tallman's first cousin) 
and Virginia. September: A hasty preparation for dear old K.C. again, only I 
am in College work now and feel real big. Several of our class, have returned. 
  Violette COULTAR, Madaline APP, Beatrice PEARSON, Georgia APP, 
Madoline DENTON, Florence BITNER. Eva S. went to L.A. to business College.
  We gave the first Assembly. I helped with the costumes. Ruby H. is teaching. 
  Then the foot-ball rally, our first game was with L.A. Normal. J.C. headed 
the parade. We had three cars decorated in Red and White.
  Next morning finds me at the beginning of the end of my school term. I was 
sick with a cold and  had to pull myself through the morning work because I 
wanted to go to the game. Just before time to get ready I had to go to bed.
Went back to school after a weeks rest and fought hard to catch up but every 
day got harder and after two weeks struggle, I stopped. So weak I couldhardly 
stand up. It was hard to stop but could not go on.
  Thanksgiving 1919: Hester TALLMAN and Virginia were both guests at 
my home.  What a jolly time we had together. 
  January 1, 1920, I started off to the Mts. to help Waldo with his farming. 
(this was her brother and the Mountains, the P leto Hills and the ranch). 
February 16: That is to-day and am all by myself, Waldo is building fence.  
The mountain air has been very good for me and I am my old self again,.
If not stronger. Virginia is with her brother in Reedly. She is assistant to 
adancing teacher. I am glad because she loves that work. Hester is going 
to Whittier College. She will be ready for Santa Barbaranext year. 
Charlotte N. is going to Berkeley. This gives me joy for that is what she 
wanted more then any thing.
  October 1920: quite a jump but there have been no important events 
during these months left out.
  Eunice, Zoe, and I are now attending the University of California, 
Southern  Branch, as Freshman. We are living in our own home having 
purchased such before we came here to school. Its a little four roomed 
house on N. Virgil Ave. just five blocks from the University No. 646. 
  We have our studies and ourselves about settled in school and the question 
at hand now is Amendment 12 this is a turning point or climax in the lives 
of the three of us and many others. If this amendment doesn't carry 
successfully we will be forced to put away our ambitions for college  find 
some means of being independent now. The excitement is all over 
Amendment 12 failed but was so close that the legislature have decided 
to help us out. We hope they keep their word. (they must have for all 
three stayed in college).
  November 1920: Thanksgiving, Waldo, Dad and Alice came down. 
Had a busy week and were sure tired but elated with our good time and 
sorry when it was over. 
  June 1924: The last of a happy world or the beginning of it. At least 
I'm happy now. Many things have happened since the writing of the 
page across the way. School, play and work for 3 years. And now the 
beginning of all things, marriage. Dewey and I were married the 31 of 
May at 6 O'clock, Saturday. We were in Fullerton and the Reverend T. 
G. Atere officiated. Mabel, Valda and Eddie were with us and we had a 
wonderful day.
  We began housekeeping in the Kramer Bldg. Placentia the 24th of June. 
July 10th we moved to 222 E. Amerige, Fullerton. We spent a happy fourth 
with Ed and Mabel at Glen Ivy.
  October 25th we moved into a brand new bungalow at 342 W. Drapman, 
Fullerton.  Furnished it with our very own furniture.   
  November 20 to 29th I spent with mother and dad. Xmas spent at 
TALLMAN's. (must havebeen Jim TALLMAN in Costa Masa, Dewey's 
uncle, Hester TALLMAN's father.) April 6thmoved to Olinda. Mabel, 
back from Arizona, helped me move.
  We grew a little now. A house and a big yard this time. The following 
months were spent making planning and caring for our garden. The last 
of July and first of August Zoe and Vida spent with us. August 18th 1925 
Allen Donald TALLMAN our first was born 7 lbs and 9 oz."
  After Ralph Wilbur TALLMAN was born in 1928, Dewey and Zulo moved 
from the southernpart of California, back to the farm at Bakersfield where 
Zulo was raised. Here or near here Zulo with her husband raised their family. 
About 1942 they moved to Monolith, California where Dewey was put in 
charge of all of the security for Monolith Portland Cement Co. During World 
War II Monolith was considered a vital industry and needed to be protected 
from sabotage. Here Zulo lived with Dewey until their move into Tehachapi, 
near by.
  They lived at that location until Dewey died in 1955. Soon after Zulo, 
moved back to the farm at Bakersfield. Her oldest son Allen Donald 
TALLMAN was a photographer in the U.S. Navy and received a hardship 
discharge to return and care for his mother, who was partially disabled.
   TALLMAN, ZULO EMERSON--81, passed away November 1 at a local 
hospital, Grave side services will be held at Tehachapi Cemetery at 10 A.M. 
on November 4. Mrs. TALLMAN descends from a pioneer Kern County, 
  Her father, Henry Emerson who was for many years president of the 
Farmers Mutual Telephone Company, came to Kern County in 1886 and 
established his ranch on the Paleto, then about 1900 removed to South of 
Bakersfield near Panama School on Wible Road. Zulo attended Panama 
School and Kern County Union High School and UCLA. She taught in the 
Tehachapi Elementary School System. She was a member of American 
Legion Auxiliary. Her husband. Arthur Dewey TALLMAN preceded her 
in death by 26 years. Survivors include sons, Don and Ralph of Bakersfield; 
grandsons, Murray, Wayne and Grant TALLMAN and two great-grandsons. 

  Children of Arthur Dewey TALLMAN and Zulo EMERSON were as follows:
   13  i   Allen Donald4 TALLMAN [1], born 18 Aug 1925 in 
             Anaheim, Orange, California; christened  in Des Moines, Polk, Iowa. 
             BIR: Anaheim Community Hosp., Anaheim, Orange Co., California.  
             18 August 1925, 4:00 AM. Parents living in Fullerton, California. 
             Father Arthur Dewey Tallman, Mother Zulo Emerson. 
             Have copy of birth certificate.
             MARRIAGE: 26 May 1961 Bakersfield, California. 

BIOGRAPHY: First year school in one room School on my Maternal
Grandfathers and Great grandfathers ranch in the Paleto Hills south
west corner of Kern County, California. My Mothers sister Eunice
(Emerson)   Daly was the teacher. All of the students in school were
cousins. First cousins,   second cousins and some third cousins. Finished
elementry school living on my  maternal grandfathers farm in the south
San Joaquin Valley, one year High  School in Bakersfield.  When my
father had a major heart attack I quit school and   went to work to feed the
family at 14 not quite 15 years old. This was during the  depression. My
first job was working in a grocery store. Then found a job in a photoshop
proccessing film at night so negatives were ready for printing next               
morning. Proccessing took over 7 hours per night. I developed a procedure
that cut that time to 4 hours each night. Tried to enlist in the Navy. Failed
was not heavy enough, returned to work but with another photo shop doing
the same thing. Made another attemped at enlisting and made it.  Enlisted
11 Aug 1943.  Boot camp in San Diego NTS. Left for over Seas from
Terminal Island, Long Beach, Calif. on 13 Oct 1943 aboard the USS
Neches a Tanker. Arrived Esperito  Santos in the New Hiberties Islands.
Was assigned to USS Massachusetts BB-59,   home port Havana harbor
Effaty. Went aboard Massachusetts 12 December 1943. first engagement
29 Jan 1944 Member of Task Forse making air strikes on 
Taroa, Maloelap Atoll, Marshall Islands.   30 January 1944 Member of
Task  Force which participated in the air strike and shore bombardment of
Kwajalein and Ebeye, Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands. We hit the
ammunition dump and  almost sevred the Island in half.  31 January - 1
February 1944 Member of Task  Force operating as covering force of
landing operations on Kwajalein and Ebey,  Kwajalein Atoll Marshal
Islands.  16 - 17 February 1944. Member of Task Force operating as
covering force in making air strike, on Truk Islands.  21 - 22                        
February 1944 Member of Task Force that repelled repeated night attacks
by  Japanese torpedo planes, Marianas Islands area.  22 February 1944
Member of Task Force operating as covering force in making air strikes on
Marianes Islands.  In March the Massachusetts took part in a raid deep into
Japanese territory the  strike was against the Palau stronghold and Yap,
Ulithi, and Woleai Islands in the Western Carolines.  21 - 27 april 1944
Member of Task Force operating as covering force for landing operations
on Hollandia, New Guines.  29 - 30 April 1944 Member of Task Force
making air strikes on Truk and Satawan Islands.  1  May 1944 Member
Striking Force which bombarded Ponape Island.  6 - 11                     
September 1944 Member of Task Group 38.5, covering operation in
connection   with landings on Palau.  11 - 24 September 1944 Member of
Task Group 38.3,  during sustained Air strikes on Cental Philippines and
Luzon, including Manila   Area, covering invasion of Palau.  8 - 19
October 1944 Member of Task Group  38.3 during air strikes on Okinawa
Jima and Formosa, covering landing in the  Phiippines.  20 - 28 October
1944 Member of Third Fleet during operation in the                    
Philippines Sea in suport of landing in the Philippines.  21 October 1944
Member  of Task Group 38.3 when that group made air strikes on Luzon
and on the  Japanese Fleet. It was on about 24 October 1944 that someone
from CinCPacFlt  that sent a message to Admiral Halsey that read "All the
world wants to know  where is the Third Fleet". Also the Massachusetts
was the closest ship to the USS  Princeton when it was hit by a 500 pound
Japanese bomb and was sunk.                                                       
On 24 October 1944, this ship was cruising in waters east of Luzon,
in ompany with Task Group 38.3, furnishing air support for the
Philippines  operations. Shortly after midnight, several unidentified
aircraft were detected at a range of about 50 miles. These planes did not
close the formation. however, and the contact was lost. At 0528,
unidentified planes were again detected, at about
27 miles, closing the formation. All hands stood to air attack stations at
0538.    Night fighters intercepted the enemy planes, and none closed to
gun range. Secured from air attack at 0647.   During the early morning a
dispatch from  Commander Task Group 38.2 reported an enemy force of 4
battleships, 8 heavy   cruisers, and 13 destroyers between Mindoro and
Tobias Islands in the Central Philippines. (these forces were on the west
side of the Philippines Don's ship the  Massachusetts was on the east side
of the Philippines with the other ships of the    Third Fleet. The Flagship
for Commander Battleship Division Eight was My
Ship the Massachusetts under the command of Rear Admiral J. F.
SHRAFROTH) Amplifying reports indicated that the force was divided into
two  groups and might contain seven battleships instead of the four indicated
earlier.  The ESSEX and the LEXINGTON launched heavy strikes against
these ships early in the morning.   Meanwhile, our own force was under attack
by enemy  aircraft, consisting principally of dive bombers, identified as 
Judies. At 0755,  after a large group of enemy aircraft had been reported 
closing the formation, all  hands manned air attack stations. This raid was 
intercepted by our Combat Air  Patrol and did not close the formation. 
However, at 0837 the Combat Air Patrol reported a group of approximately  
30 enemy planes closing the Task Group, and  at 0837 various ships began 
firing at a Judy which had dropped a bomb close to the HEALY. All ships 
were executing emergency maneuvers as directed by the O.T.C. At 0900 a 
Judy was shot down in flames about 12,000 yards ahead of the formation by 
one of our fighters. The LANGLEY and the PRINCETON                                
recovered aircraft, and at 0939, immediatly after the PRINCETON finished
recovering planes, an enemy plane dropped a bomb which struck the after 
portion of the PRINCETON's flight deck and penetrated to the hangar deck, 
starting a large fire. O.T.C. Ordered speed decreased from 24 knots to 18 
knots so the  PRINCETON might maintain station. Several large explosions 
occurred aboard the PRINCETON, however, spreading the fire considerably. 
The PRINCETON changed course and began to leave the formation. The 
detailed to stand by to assist  the damaged ship. At 1017, another Judy was 
sighted within the formation, being  pursued by one of the Combat Air 
Patrol. Just as the Judy approached the LANGLEY, our fighter opened fire, 
setting the Judy afire. The Judy continued  on its course and dropped its  
bomb, which was a near miss on the LANGLEY's  port quarter. The enemy 
plane then crashed in flames between the LANGLEY and the ESSIX. At 
1033, the MORRISON was ordered to assist the  PRINCETON, which was 
being abandoned. At 1202, Condition One Easy (Air  Attack) was set. At 
1300, enemy planes again closed the formation and various  ships began 
firing. A bomb was dropped close to the LEXINGTON but apparently did no 
damage. Again a 1510. enemy planes attacked the formation  but were driven 
off without inflicting any damage.  At about 1630, our search planes reported 
sighting an enemy force of battleships, carriers, cruisers, and destroyers, 
on a southerly course, approximately 100 miles to the north of our force. 
At 1658, O.T.C. stated by radio that because of the extensive damage
suffered by the PRINCETON, and because of the general situation, 
Commander  Third Fleet had ordered that the ship be sunk by our own forces. 
(Commander  Third Fleet was Admiral HALSEY) This order was  
subsequently carried out.
During operations involving removal of the PRINCETON's personnel, and
damage control operations, the BIRMINGHAM was damaged by an explosion
aboard the PRINCETON. The MORRISON was also damaged while                 
alongside   the PRINCETON.  Preiminary reports indicated that our planes had 
done  extensive damage to units of the Japanese force in waters east of 
Mindoro Island.   At midnight Task Groups 38.2, 38.3, and 38.4 rendezvoused 
and started north to  strike the enemy force to the northward of this force. On 
25 October 1944, this  force continued to steam northward in search of the 
enemy force. At 0150 night  fighters from Task Group 38.4 intercepted and 
shot down one Mavis type enemy  plane, about 40 miles from the formation. 
At 0225 search planes contacted two groups of enemy ships about 80 miles to 
 the north.(our force should have been with in firing range of these ship by  
 daylight but were not because they turned   and fled) At 0240, on orders of
Commander Third Fleet, Commander Task Force  38 detached Task Force 34, 
which cleared the carrier groups ahead and formed up in cruising disposition 
4-n, with the MASSACHUSETTS as guide. Task Force 34 was composed as 
follows, under command of Vice Admiral W.A. Lee, Jr., USN. in the 
Washington: Battleship Divisions 7, 8, and 9; Cruiser Divisions 13, 
and 14; Destroyer Squadrons 50 and 52.(this group represented the largest 
force ever gathered in one unit. There were eight first line Battleships in a 
row we could have fought off the world).  Secured from Condition One Easy 
(Air Attack) at 0335, and returned to battle stations at 0518. Later contact 
reports placed the enemy force northeast of our group, approximately 65 
miles. Cruising disposition 4-s was formed at 0552.
At 0640 the first strike of Task Force 38 planes passed over head inwrought 
to attack the enemy fleet. 
At 0603, formed cruising disposition 4-V.
At 1112 the Santa Fe reported sighting a floating mine. The
CAPERTON was instructed to destroy the mine. Reports from our planes
indicated that severe damage had been inflicted upon the portion of the 
Japanese Fleet to the north of us. Other reports from Commander Seventh 
Fleet revealed that a considerable force of enemy ships had passed through 
San Bernardino Straits during the night and was attacking Seventh Fleet 
forces in waters east of Samar Island. (seventh fleet was the old Battleships 
incapable of defending them selves from modern ships but they did and 
with great skill, in fact the southern Japanese force got through the Sarigoa 
Straits and were almost completly distroyed)  Hence, upon orders of 
Commander Third Fleet, at 1114, Battleship Divisions 7, 8, 9; Destroyer 
Squadron 52; and the BILOXI, MOBILE, and the VINCENNES were 
detached from Task Force 34, and turned south. These ships joined Task 
Group 38.2 which then proceeded to the area of the Seventh Fleet. 
----- It being doubtful whether Task Group 38.2 could arrive in time to 
intercept the enemy force before it passed through the Straits. (it was at 
this point that some one sent a message to Admiral HALSEY that read 
all the world wants to know where is the Third Fleet. By this time Don 
says the Third Fleet was several hundred miles north of the seventh fleet 
and we were supposed to protect them but were up north chasing a decoy). 
(the above document was written by William Walter Warlick Captain 
United State Navy, Captain of the U.S.S. MASSACHUSETTS. The 
highlighted area is from the compiler Allen Don Tallman).  This above 
document was included because of its historical value as one of the most 
important engagement of the Navy during World War II From there the 
fleet shifted their operations to Japan by January 1945. (Admiral Halsey
fleet was disbanded after November 1944 and the Fifth Fleet was formed 
under Admiral MITCNER)  "CARRIER ADMIRAL" written by J.J. (Jocko) 
CLARK Clark covers this same time span with the MASSACHUSETTS as 
one of the ships in his task group. (58.1 is part of the newly formed third 
fleet)  "Task Group 58.1 consisting of three large carriers, Hornet, Wasp, 
and the New Bennington and the light carrier Belleau Wood. For the first 
time, my group included battleships, Massachusetts and Indiana, under 
Rear Admiral J. F. SHRAFROTH, Rear Admiral F.E.M. 'Red' Whiting 
commanded two light cruisers, Vincennes and Miami, plus the anti aircraft 
light cruisers San Juan, the screen commanded by Captain Jesse H. Carter, 
consisted of 15 Destroyers."   25 October 1944 Member of Task force 34 
operating with Task Force 38 during defeat of Northern Striking Force of 
Japanese Fleet. I looked out and early that morning we had nine first line 
Battleships in a row. When we would turn all would turn together, what
a sight.  5 - 6 November 1944 Mamber of Task Group 38.3 during sustained 
air strikes on Luzon.  11 November 1944 Member of Task Group 38.1 during 
air strikes on shipping in Ormoc Bay and the Visayan Sea in the Central 
Philippines.  13 - 14 November 1944 Member of Task Group 38.1 during 
air strikes on Shipping and air facilities in Luzon.  14 - 16 December 1944 
Member of Task Group 38.1 during air strikes on shipping and air facilities 
on Luzon in support of landings on Mindoro.  30 December - 23 January 
1945 Member of Heavy Support Unit of Carrier Task Group 38.1 
participating in Third Fleet raids on Formosa and Northern Luzon while 
covering landings by Southwest Pacific area Forces at Lingayen Gulf; in air 
strikes against shipping and air fields in the Saigon-Kamranh Bay Area of 
Indo-China; in air strikes against the Hongkong-Swatow-Amoy Area of the 
China Coast; and in subsequent air strikes against Formosa and Okinawa 
Jima. We proceded to sneak under the Japanese radar into the China Sea to 
complete this operation.  I was transferred to the staff of ComBatDiv 8 under 
RADM Shaffroth which was on the USS Massachusetts.  10 February - 28 
February 1945 Member Heavy Support Unit of Carrier Task Group 58.1 
participating in Fifth Fleet raids on the Tokyo - Yokohama areas on
Honshu: in air strikes on Chichi Jima in connection with landings on Iwo 
Jima; and in air strikes on Iwo Jima in support of landing operations on the 
Island. 58.1 was under the command of Radm J.J. Jocko Clark.  Shortly 
after this operation I was transferred to the USS Bronks APA-236 as part 
of the commissioning party, Portland Oregon. I was assigned as part of the 
Marine unit to take part in the landing operations of the ship. To 
photograph the landings. This Marine unit consisted of a Marine Officer 
and myself.   The warwas over before we were fitted out and I went home 
opened a Photo Shop in Tehachapi, California. Went broke in just over two 
years and returned to the Navy. Reenlisten on 21 July 1948 and assigned to 
the NTS Teminal Island, Long Beach, California. First went to the ID lab. 
Then assigned to the station news paper.  As part of the news coverage
I took pictures of RADM Paul Hendron (ComTerminal Island Naval Facilities),
wedding. His new wife was so impressed with the pictures I was assigned to 
his staff. In Novermber 1949 was sent to the Naval Photograph School in 
Pensacola, Florida. Completed the cource 9 June 1950 with the top score in 
my class 91.5811. Returned to Long Beach and to the staff of RADM Hendron.
In May 1951 I was sent on special assignment to the Pentigon in Washington 
D.C. and retuned to Long Beach in August 1951.  Left Long Beach in 
December 1951 to the USS Kearsarge CVA-33 was assigned as part of the 
commissioning crew, in Bremerton, Washington. In June 1952 went to Oakland, 
California to Naval Photo Intelligence school and returned to the Kearsarge. 
We made a tour of duty in the Korean War, and returned to the US. One of the 
missions while on the Kearsarge the fleet Photo Planes were sent over China to 
photograph as much as possible without being detected. We use Try-metrogon 
set upto get as much coverage as we could. All of our planes returen unharmed.  
While training a new squadron off the cost of San Diego I received orders to 
ComSevFlt Staff VADM J.J. Jocko Clark. I was shot off the ship and sent to 
Seattle, boarded a plane in Washington state and flew to Japan and then to the 
USS Misouri where the Seventh Fleet was aboard. After VADM Clark retired 
I stayed on with VADM A.M. Pride until November 1954 and was transferred 
to the Naval Photogaphic Center, Anacostia. Was assigned as head Portrait 
Photographer in the Center. In February 1955 I was sent home on emergency 
leave because my father had another of his major heart atacks and he died in 
April 1955 at the age of 56. I recieved a hardshipdischarge to take care of my 
mother who was parshaly invalid.  
Ships or Stations served on:  
USS NECHES TANKER for transportation only 
There were several other carriers but were for temp. duty and lasted abour 
2 week.   Citations:  American Theater Medal  Asiatic Pacific Area 
Campain Medal W/7 stars  World War II Victory Medal  Philipppine 
Liberation Ribbon W/2 stars  Korean Presidential Unit Citation 
W/2 Stars  National Defense Service Medal  United Nations Service 
Medal  China Service Medal (Extended) (Secret)  Korean Service Medal 
W/6 stars  Good Conduct Medal (twice)  I worked for Monolith
Portland Cement Co. as Inventory Control Clerk until 1959 and moved 
to Bakersfield. Bought two fuel trucks and went into the fuel brockerage 
buisness, until 1963.   In 1961 while I was still on my own I met May 
(Davies) Kesterson whose office was next to mine and after a few months 
we were married 26 May 1961. She has two fine children that I love very 
much and have become part of growing up and now their children (My 
grand-children are just like part of me). 
In 1963 I went to work for a small corp. called Navy Oil Co. in Bakerslfield
California. At this point I enrolled in Junior College and my major was
Accounting and took only those classes related to that subject.  When I 
completed those courses I was made Office Manager and about 1970 was 
made Ass't Vice President and Controller of the company. (I returned to 
Junior College and learned to Program with RPGII when the co. 
purchased a computer then deveoped an accounting system to fit the 
oil distributing business) The computer became part of my responsibility. 
I held this job until 1980 when the company was sold and at age 55, I 
went to work for the Bakersfield Memorial Hospital and became their 
Computer Analyst and developed an Accounting system for their Main 
Frame Computer. On 10 Oct 1984 I retired and have been working on  
my Family History ever since. My wife and I now live in Bountiful, Utah 
which is only about 10 to the Largest Family History Library in the World.

     14   ii     Ralph Wilbur4 TALLMAN [557], born 5 Feb 1928 
in Bakersfield, Kern,California.
   Ralph Wilbur Tallman the son of Arthur Dewey Tallman and Zulo
Emerson. His parents were living in Costa Mesa at the time of Ralph's birth, but
had traveled to Bakersfield for Ralph's birth. After returning to Costa Mesa, it
was only a short time later that Zulo, his mother became very ill and the doctor
recommended a drier climate. So it was decided that, when Ralph was only about
nine months old, the family would remove to Bakersfield and live on his
grand-fathers farm. They gave up the store in Costa Mesa and rented out their
home there.  The history of the family from this point is discussed in Ralph's
brother's history. Ralph went to grade school at the Panama School near
Bakersfield, Cal. and from 1942-3 attended Kern County Union High School in
Bakersfield, California, then finished at Tehachapi High School in the spring of
1946. He entered the sevice and completed a tour of duty in the U.S. Coast
Guard, serving in Alaska.  After returning home, Ralph worked about 2 years
with the Standard Oil Co., Service Station Division in the Taft and Tehachapi
Area. In 1950 he joined the local 460 Plumbers Union and served his
apprenticeship from 1950-1955, worked for Smetizer Co., and Gundlach's
Plumbing. In 1956 Ralph worked for Owen Clark as a journeyman plumber, also
he worked at the Edwards Air Force Base building rocket testers. Then for two
years helping in the building of the Bishop Elementary School. In 1958 to 1963
Ralph was the Superintendent of Plumbing for all the 300 houses and shopping
center built in Kern City nere Bakersfield. He helped build West High School,
Alpha Beta Market, KERO T.V. Station, and Sands Restaurant in Bakersfield
from 1963- 1966.  In 1966 he served as estimator for Gundlach's Plumbing Co.,
until 1982 which included many of the large contracts in the Bakersfield Area.
From 1983-1987 was estimator for Etter Plumbing.  During this same period,
Ralph gained a class D vocational credential to teach plumbing and for 28 years
taugt in Local 460 plumbing appreticeship program 1956-1984. Also taught
courses of plumbing code to City and County inspectors, 1986-1987, and is again
teaching plumbing apprenticeship (1989).  Received his credentials from Purdue
University. Ralph hopes to keep on working and he is not interested in retiring. 
He has always been interested in the Boy Scout program and has always been
very active in that endevor. He was honored when he received the Silver Beaver
 award at a dinner in his honor. This is the highest award you can receive at the
 local councel leval.

7. Beryl Elizabeth3 TALLMAN [565] (Wilbur Maxwell2, James Henry1), born 30 
Jul 1903 in Underwood, Potmie, Iowa; died 14 Oct 1980. She married (1) on 25 
Jun 1927, Ralph GUNN [564]. She married (2)  Burt LONG [3996]. 
Notes for Beryl Elizabeth TALLMAN
       Beryl Elizabeth TALLMAN6 the daughter of Wilbur Maxwell TALLMAN 
and Maud Lillian BOWLIN. Born in Underwood, Pottawamie County, Iowa on 
30 July 1903. On the 25th day of June 1927 Beryl Elizabeth TALLMAN married 
Ralph Raymond GUNN. Beryl lived with her parents after she divorced her 
husband, and when Wilbur and Maud moved to Bakersfield to stay on the ranch 
where Dewey Beryl's brother lived she with her daughter Maxine went to 
Bakersfield,California also.

She stayed about one year and then returned to Iowa with her daughter. After 
Maxine had married, Beryl married the second time to Long. Beryl Elizabeth 
died in Doylestown, Pa. 4 October 1980 and she is buried beside her second
 husband Burt Long in Ankeny, Iowa. 
  Children of Beryl Elizabeth TALLMAN and Ralph GUNN were as follows:
       15   i        Maxine Mae4 GUNN [3230], born 17 Mar 1926 in Des Moines, 
Polk, Iowa.  
Susan Delene OVERMYER8 the daughter of Maxine Mae GUNN7 (Beryl
Elizabeth TALLMAN and John Calvin OVERMYER.  Susan was born in Des
Moines, Polk County, Iowa 10 June 1951. In 1974 Manhattan Beach, California
Susan Delene OVERMYER married Scott LUCAS.

8. Mabel Gertrude3 FRANKLIN [2881] (Gertrude Pearl2 Tallman, James Henry1), 
born 14 Mar 1895 in Harlan, Shelby, Iowa; died Mar 1967 in Tulsa, Tulsa, 
Oklahoma; buried 7 Mar 1967 in Rose Hill Mem Pk, Tulsa, Oklahoma. She 
married on 8 Jun 1916 in Harlan, Shelby, Iowa, Reginald V. RORABAUGH 
[4006], born 14 Feb 1889 in , Shelby, Iowa; died Apr 1974 in Tulsa, Tulsa, 
Oklahoma; buried 23 Apr 1974 in Rose Hill Mem Pk, Tulsa, Oklahoma. 
Notes for Mabel Gertrude FRANKLIN
  Mabel Gertrude FRANKLIN the daughter of Gertrude P. TALLMAN, 
Thomas Nelson FRANKLIN. Mabel was born in Harlan, Shelby County, 
Iowa on the 14th day of March 1895 and she died in March 1967 at Tulsa 
County, Oklahoma. Mabel was buried on 7 March 1967 at the Rose Hill 
Memorial Park, Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma. On 8 June 1916 in Harlan 
Shelby County, Iowa Mabel Gertrude FRANKLIN married Reginald V. 
(Rex) RORABAUGH. He was born inShelby County, Iowa 14 February 
1889 and he died in April 1974 in Tulsa County, Oklahoma. Reginald is 
buried at Rose Hill Memorial Park, Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma 23 
April 1974.
  Both Mabel and Reginald were born and raised in Shelby County, Iowa 
and after marriage moved to Tulsa Oklahoma, where they remained all 
the remainder of their life. Mabel's father wasa banker in Harlan, Iowa. 
Her mother died shortly after Mabel was born.
 Cemetery Recrord of Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma, Rose Hill Memorial 
Park. 1900 Census Jefferson Township, Shelby County, Iowa Ed 172-6-33. 
Records of Tallman family in my possession. Tulsa County, Oklahoma 
Probate records Rec 44854 and P74-530 film 1,205,626. Mabel (Franklin) 
RORABAUGH living in Tulsa Oklahoma by 1932 because Landora Jane 
(RICHTSTINE) TALLMAN was visiting there when she died. Address 
1348 N. Boston Place, Tulsa Oklahoma. 

  Children of Mabel Gertrude FRANKLIN and Reginald V. RORABAUGH 
were as follows:
       16   i   Mary Jane4 RORABAUGH [4005], born 16 Mar 1919 in Harlan, 
                  Shelby, Iowa. 
       17   ii  Thomas Franklin4 RORABAUGH [4004], born 10 Jan 1926 in 
                  Tulsa, Tulsa, Oklahoma. 

Contributed by Allen Donald Tallman (Don).

To Top of Page