"From History of Scott County, Iowa 1882 Chicago:  Interstate Publishing Co."


Lincoln was one of the last organized townships in the county, its corporate existence dating from 1866.  Like all other prairie townships, the land was not entered until all the timber was disposed of, and settlements were not so early made.  The township comprises township 79, range 4 east, save one tier of sections on the east.

Early Settlers

Robert Griswell came from Pennsylvania in 1844, and located in Long Grove, where he resided three years, and then moved to what is now Lincoln Township.  He was the first settler in the township.  He improved a farm on section 23.  In 1867 he moved to Princeton, in this county, and there died, July 22, 1881, being 81 years of age.  William H. Jones came to this county in 1849.  He is a native of Wales.  Mr. Jones improved the east half of section 23, where he now resides.  Eldad Scott, from Indiana, came in 1851, and improved on section 27.  Both himself and wife are now dead.  H. E. Mason settled in 1850, on section 35.  He came from the State of New York, and remained here until 1859, when he moved to Missouri.  He has since become a Methodist preacher.  M. J. Tohlfs, now county treasurer, settled in Lincoln Township in 1850.  In 1853 came Peter N. Lau, who located on section 29; J. Schuckloth, section 17; Henry Mueller, section 20; and Hans Plagmann, section 32.  From this time forward the township settled quite rapidly, the names of parties it would therefore be impossible to give.

The first birth in the township was Ellen, daughter of William H. Jones, who was born in 1850.  She is still living.

The first marriage was that of Mr. Scott and Mary Ann Criswell.  They now reside in Jasper Co., Ia.,

The first death remembered by P. B. Criswell was that of Caroline stacy, aged about 12 years, who died in 1854.

The first school-house was bullt on section 23, and was known as the Jones school-house.  The first school was taught by J. O. Jameison.  The house was burned down a few years since, and another erected in its stead.  The township as a school district has eight sub-districts, with 324 pupils of school age, and an enrollment of 273.  It has also eight frame school-houses, with an average value of $1,200, or a total of $9,600.

The first religious services were held in the Jones school-house in the winter of 1853-'54, by Rev. Mr. White.  There is now but one religious denomination represented by an organization - the Summit Presbyterian Church, which was organized July 6, 1858, by Rev. J. D. Mason, assisted by Rev. J. M. Jones and Elder James Jack.  Previous to this time services were held first at the house of William Yoeum.  Those signing the articles of Covenant on organization were David H. Moore, Mrs. Caroline Moore, William Walker, Mrs. Maria Walker, Miss Emily Cadwallader, Miss Eliza C. Walker, William Yocum, Mrs. Sarah Yocum, Mrs. Rachel Dapp, Miss Amy Ella Yocum, V. K. Torrence, Mrs. Catherine Torrence, John Walker, Martha Ann Walker, John McMouegal, Mrs. Elizabeth McMonegal, Mrs. Catherine Moore, Benjamin Snyder, John Port, Levi Reddick.  Mrs. Margaret Proudfoot, Mrs. Elizabeth Crisswell, Mrs. Mary Ann Le Grange, Robert English, Mrs. Esther English, James M. English, Mrs. Sarah Jane English - a total of 28.  On organization, Robert English, D. H. Moore, V. R. Torrence were elected elders.  A house of worship was erected on the north line of section 25 in 1858, at a cost of $1,200.  The building is frame, 32 x 40 feet.  Those serving as pastors since organization were Revs. J. D. Mason, Hugh Barclay, R. L. Adams, C. R. Von Emman, H. Bishop, C. P. Spinning and N. Williams; the latter the present incumbent, who has associated with him in the government of the congregation, Samuel McDowell, William Walker and John Moore, elders.  since organization 176 persons have been connected with the congregation, 110 of whom have been dismissed by letter, 21 died; present membership 40.  At the same time the congregation was formed, a Sunday-school was organized, which has been in active existence from that time to the present.  Its first superintendent was Robert English. The following named are the present officers of the school:   Samuel McDowell, Superintendent; Assistant Superintendent, A. J. Greene; Secretary, J. C. Walker; Librarian, Blair Kepler.

Lincoln Township is bounded on the east by Le Claire, on the west by Sheridan, on the north by Butler and the south by Pleasant Valley Townships.  No finer body of land can be found in Scott County, and evidences of thrift are seen upon every hand.