"From History of Scott County, Iowa 1882 Chicago:  Interstate Publishing Co."


The Independent Order of Odd Fellows was introduced into Davenport 1847, Davenport Lodge, No. 7, being instituted April 23.  The charter members of the lodge were James Thorington, S. Schofield, T. V. Blakemore, S. McCormick and V. M. Firor.  The first officers were James Thorington, N. G.; S. McCormick, V. G.; T. V. Blakemore, R. Sec.; V. M. Firor, Treas.  The present officers are John B. Lindsay, N. G.; W. D. Strike, V. G.; W. F. Baumgartner, Sec.; A. J. Weinheimer, P. Sec.; John B. Schmidt, Treas.

State Encampment, No. 3, was instituted April 23, 1848, with James Thorington, R. M. Prettyman, J. H. Morton, T. V. Blackmore, Lewis Hamilton, Marcus Westlake, L. J. Center, Jonathan Crousdale, as charter members.  The camp now numbers 57 members, and meetings are held the second and fourth Friday in each month.  The officers of the present term are James Cozett, C. P.; Samuel Mitchell, H. P.; John Schenck, S. W.; William B. Kerns, J. W.; J. T. Temple, T.; T. V. Blackmore, S.

Scott Lodge, No. 37, was instituted Jan. 13, 1852, by James Thorington, D. G. M., with T. V. Blakemore, Jr., John A. Boyd, William Howard, William Sims, William H. White, George G. Arndt, B. Roberts, A. Smallfield and T. V. Blakemore, Sr., as charter members.  The lodge now has a membership of 337.  Its officers are Henry Dunker, N. G.; H. G. Parrmann, V. G.; Fred Schiel, P. S.; H. D. Statmer, Treas.; M. Goldfriedrich, R. Sec.

Herman Encampment is in good condition, with the following named officers:  W. Weidner, C. P.; John C. Branch, H. P.; R. Lange, S. W.; A. Schutz, J. W.; R. Rusch, Treas.; M. Goldfriedrich, Scribe.

Scott Rebecca Degree Lodge, No. 2, was instituted Dec. 18, 1868.  It has a membership of 66.  Its present officers are: N. Mueller, N. G.; Kathrina Lamp, V. G.; M. Goldfriedrich, Sec.

The Masonic Order was first introduced into Davenport in 1853, by the institution of Davenport Lodge, No. 37, A. F. & A. M.  This lodge has now had an honorable career of 29 years, and now numbers 157 members.  Its present officers are:  George B. Swan, W. M.; Ed. T. Morgan, S. W.; Samuel Porter, J. W.; Chas. W. Decker, Treas.; J. H. Harrison, Sec.; Geo. M. Barrette, S. D.;  John Aunable, Jr., J. D.; John W. Rickey, S. S.; Wm. L. Dalzell, Jr., J. S.; Moses Hobbs, M. C.; J. W. Jamison T.

Trinity lodge, No. 208, A. F. & A. M., was chartered June 5, 1867, and incorparated April 11, 1871.  It now numbers 88 members, with the following named officers:  S. H. Plummer, W. M.; C. N. Peet, S. W.; W. F. Zimmerman, J. W.; G. P. McClelland, Treas.; J. B. Mason, Sec.; M. B. Cochran, Chap.; D. F. Power, S. D.; L. C. Steir, J. D.; N. Frey, S. S.; F. Graham, J. S.; W. F. Birchard, M. of C.; W. G. Jones, T.

Fraternal Lodge, No. 221, A. F. & A. M., was organized Aug. 27, 1867, under a dispensation granted by the M. W. Grand Master, Reuben Mickle, dated Aug. 7, 1867.  The following were the first officers:  James T. Lane, W. M.; James Thorington, S. W.; Chr. Toerring, J. W.; Frank H. Miller, Treas.; John M. Lyter, Sec.; Herman Pollock, S. D.; August J. Buck, J. D.; D. C. Roundy, S. S.; Wm Mark Walter, J. S.; John N. Davis, T.  On June 3, 1868, a charter was granted the lodge form the M. W. Grand Lodge of Iowa.  The present officers are:  Frank W. Angel, W. M.; John C. Johannsen, S. W.; Hugh Somers, J. W.; F. W. Lerch, Treas.; E. Weingartner, Sec.; J. H. Somers, S. D.; C. H. Moeller, J. D.; W. H. Bolte, S. S.; C. M. Wittig, J. S.; W. G. Jones, T.

J. T. Lane served as W. M. from 1867 till 1870, and was succeeded by Chr. Toerring, who served one year when F. W. Angel was elected and has served to the present time.  J. M. Lyter was the first secretary an served two years; E. S. Carl was then elected and also served two years. H. C. F. Jensen came next and served for the same period; E. Weingartner was then elected in 1873, and has annually been re-elected.  The lodge numbers 78 members.

Davenport Chapter, No. 16, R. A. M., was organized Nov. 25, 1856, with H. W. Mitchell, H. P.; Austin Corbin, King, and O. S. McNeil, Scribe.  The chapter has always been in good condition and now has on its roll 108 members.

Its present officers are:  George R. Marvin, H. P.; D. B. Shelley, King; W. J. Birchard, Scribe; W. C. Warriner, Treas.; M. D. Snyder, Sec.; C. H. Peet, C. H.; A. A. Stearns, P. S.; Fred Lerch, R. A. C.; J. H. Somers, 3d Veil; W. F. Zimmerman, 2d Veil; E. Weingartner, 1st Veil; W. G. Jones, Guard.

St. Simon of Cyrene Commandery, No. 9, K. T., was chartered Sept. 28, 1866, with the following named charter members:  C. Stewart Ells, W. F. Peck, O. H. Watson, J. Lewis Drew, J. J. Dixon, D. S. Watson, George H. Carpenter, J. E. Dixon, A. R. Dixon, A. C. Dixon, and W. C. Warriner.  Of this number O. H. Watson, J. J. Dixon, J. E. Dixon, A. C. Dixon have been demitted, and D. S. Watson and George H. Carpenter have died.  W. F. Peck was the first Commander and George F. Carpenter, Generalissimo.  The present officers are Jarvis White, Commander; A. R. Dixon, Generalissimo; R. W. K. White, Capt. Gen.; S. H. Plummer, Prelate; W. C. Warriner, Treas.; C. J. Brown, Recorder.  The membership is about 60.




This society was organized Aug. 5, 1852.  Christ Mueller was the prime mover in its organization.  Theodore Guelich was elected it first President, Charles Witkoff, Secretary; Christ Mueller, Turnwart; Louis Hansen, Cassenwart.  The society started with 13 members.  Druing the late civil war several of its members went into the army and were killed in battle or died.  Since the war it has steadily increased in numbers and interest until it now has 230 members.  About two years after the organization of the society, a class for boys and youths up to 18 years was commenced which now numbers 200.  About 1871 a class for girls was started, which now numbers about 80.  A ladies class was established in 1880, which numbers 20 members.  The society own their hall, a two-story building 50 x 75 feet, lower floor of which is used for the gymnasium, and the upper floor for meetings and library purposes.  In the hall may be found all the apparatus for a complete gymnasium.  The library contains about 1,400 volumes.  The society also own the theater building on the same lot, 100 x 150 feet.  The theater proper is 70 x 150, and will seat 1,000 persons.  The building is leased by parties who are bound by their contract to keep a good dramatic troupe and give performances seven months in the year.  The theater is located on the corner of Third and Scott streets.  The property of the society is estimated at $20,000.

Scott Lodge, No. 2, Legion  of Honor, was organized in March, 1879, with 50 charter members.  The business and objects of this order are to promote fraternity, afford financial aid and benefit to the widows, orphans, heirs or devisees of deceased members, to assist a brother when sick or needy, in such services as his necessities may require.  The motto of the Order is "Confidence, Prudence and Honor."  The order has flourished here, and now numbers 166 members.  The present officers are:  Jacob Coehring, P.; J. S. Ports, V. P.; C. C. Campbell, R. Sec.; J. H. Maxwell, F. Sec.; Wm. Thompson, Treas.; George H. Young and C. H. Schweitzer, U.; W. H. Hender, S.

Stella Collegium, No. 55, V. A. S. Fraternity, was organized Dec. 1, 1880.  Its first officers were:  D. B. Shelley, R.; J. B. Young, V. R.; Ed. J. Cameron, S.; G. E. Maxwell, Q.; John N. Paxton, U.; Henry Schweitzer, Spec.; George E. Hubbell, George E. Gould and J. B. Young, C.; C. G. Jones, Q. R.  The object and business of this order is to establish and promote sentiments of fraternity, to afford financial aid and benefit to the widows, orphans, heirs or devisees of its deceased memers, and to give to sick and needy brothers such service and assistance a their necessities may require.  The order has been quite prosperous, and now numbers 125 members.  The present officers are D. B. Shelley, Rector; W. T. Kerr, V. R. ; Edwin D. Cameron, S.; W. L. Marks, Q.; H. Schweitzer, U.; Charles A. Friele, Spec.; George Gould, W. Gromall, W. M. Harris, C.

The United Brotherhood of Iowa was organized at Davenport, July 9, 1879, its object being to promote fraternity and to afford financial aid and benefit to the widows, orphans and heirs, or devisees of deceased members of the order.  D. B. Shelley was the first Grand President, and C. C. Campbell, Grand Secretary.  There are now four lodges in this city - Grand, Davenport, No. 2; Germania, No. 3; Columbia, No. 4.  The membership of the order in the city is about 300.

There are two lodges of the order of Knights of Pythias in this city.  Damon Lodge, No. 10, was instituted June 16, 1871, with the following named charter members: - John Haley, E. B. Baldwin, F. Billips, C. F. W. Meyer, J. W. Jamison, C. E. Moore, L. S. Johnson, W. G. Jones, J. A. Reid, R. Woodmansee, P. J. Purcell, John Gundaker, J. S. Drake, John Cameron, C. H. Eldridge, C. P. McGee, J. T. Temple, L. A. Worth, W. R. McCrellias, Adam Miller, W. H. Lamphere, J. Malchau, G. Schnitger.  Its first officers were: - John Haley, W. C.; John Gundaker, V. C.; L. S. Johnson, F. S.; W. R. McCrellias, G.; J. W. Jamison, V. P.; R. Woodmansee, R. S.; C. H. Eldridge, B.; J. T. Temple, I. S.; C. F. W. Meyer, O. S.  The present officers are:  - T. A. Kerr, P. C.; J. A. Andrews, C. C.; G. W. Strong, V. C.; John Gundaker, K. of K. & S.; John T. Temple, M. of E.; John Cameron, M. of F.; George Metzger, P.; B. F. Taylor, M. of A.; Ben Raphell, I. G.; Andrew Lyman, O. G. Davenport Lodge, No. 50, was instituted Jan. 29, 1880.  It is in a flourishing condition and numbers 81 members.  The following named comprised the officers in the spring of 1882; P. C., Henry Wichelmann; C. C., Theo. Rath; V. C., August Sebelin; Prelate, John Luetze; M. of F., Fred Sieh; I. G., Jacob Freimann; O. G. William Ramm; K. of K. & S., Theo. Martens; M. of E., Christ. Timm; M. of F., Gust. von Dohren.

The United Order of Ancient Templars was instituted May 8, 1877, and has met with good success, now numbering 78 members.


Teutonia Grove, No. 9, organized May 26, 1878.  First officers:  Ferdinand Stoteran, P. A.; Jacob Rolfs, N. A.; Crist Jaeger, V. A.; Leopold Wichelmann, Sec.; Charlie Jentch, F. Sec.; Ernst Ruge, Treas.; August Pott, A. G.  Present officers:  John J. Peters, P. A.; Leopold Wichelmann, N. A.; Henry Hass, V. A.; Rudolph Hebbeln, Sec.; John Hehnke, F. Sec.; August Pott, Treas.; Detlef Hansen, I. G.; John Brand, O. G.; William Ehlers, Con.  Forty members meet every Friday evening at Washington Park Hall, corner Marquette and Leonard streets.

The Davenport Druid Circle, No. 1, was organized in March, 1881.  The officers are:  John Speetzen, P. A. D.; John Peters, A. D.; Miss Minna Speetzen, 1st Bard; Charlie Bebensee, 2d Bard; Miss Theresa Langtimm, Sec.; Miss Johanna Bebensee, Treas.; Miss Minna Pott, I. G.; Miss Flora Levsen, O. G.; Lui Levsen, Conductor; and Cristine Meyer, Conducterin.  The lodge numbers about 30 members.  They meet the last Saturday evening in each month at Washington Park Hall, corner of Marquette and Leonard streets.




was organized in 1872, the first meeting for that purpose being held in the old High School building, corner of Maine and Sixth streets.  James De Armond was elected president of the society for one year, the number of graduates at that time being about 50.  The first reunion and banquet of the society was held at the "Newcomb House" on Thursday evening, June 26, 1873.  It was one of the most successful and pleasant gatherings ever assembled in this city.  There appeared to be, and was evident to all, a feeling of great cordiality among all who were present, and such a unity of thought and a degree of genuine pleasure at the reunion of persons who had been old schoolmates in years gone by, and who now are among the most respected residents of this and other cities, that the occasion could not but be an agreeable one.  The society has since that time maintained its annual reunions and festivals except in 1881, and now numbers some 350 members.  The following is a list of the presidfents of the society from 1872 to the present time.  List of presidents D. H. S. A.:  1872, James M. Dearmond; 1873, Frank S. Balch; 1874, Wm. M. Middleton, M. D.; 1875, Edwin G. Sawyer; 1876, Jacob J. Nagle; 1877, James M. Dearmond; 1878, Charles C. Leslie; 1879, Charles Davison; 1880, Alfred D. Churchill; 1881, John M. Dearmond.




In the early years of Davenport there was little need of banks or bankers.  Money was very scarce, most of the store bills being paid in produce, and merchants kept about them what money they took in until they went to St. Louis, Cincinnati or Pittsburg to lay in Stocks.  Otherwise it was sent by letter or boat officers.

In 1847 Cook & Sargent opened a bank of deposit and exchange in connection with a general land agency; this office was on the corner where the First National Bank now stands, which elegant edifice was by that firm built in 1857.  As to capital, it amounted to but a few thousands.  They began on the dawn of improving times and did a prosperous business for 10 years, winding up its business in 1859.  Through its branch bank at Florence, Neb., where J. M. Parker was partner, they operated a bank of issue, the notes of the bank of Florence having considerable circulation.  Mr. Cook died in Davenport a few years since, also Mr. Sargent, in Ems, Germany.

The second bank started was that of Macklot & Corbin, on the northwest corner of Second and Brady streets, in 1852, on a capital of $10,000. It was a bank of discount, deposit and exchange, and conducted a prosperous business for about 10 years, when Mr. Austin Corbin withdrew his capital, and the bank was removed to Main street, where it was gradually wound up by Louis A. Macklot, some time before his death.  Mr. Corbin conducted an office of his own until 1863, when he organized the First National Bank of Davenport, but removed to New York some four years later and is now the head of the Corbin Banking Company of New York and Boston.

In 1855 was opened on Main street the bank of Yerby & Barrow, which in the same year became that of Chubb Bro., Barrow & Co., which continued in business until 1858, when it closed.  The same year was opened in same street the bank and land agency of McGregor, Lawes & Blakemore.  This bank was operated for about nine years.  On Main street, also, were the exchange and deposit banks of Nicholls & Campbell and Doolan & Stump in 1857, which were subsequently wound up, as were also the banks of Tollman, Powers & McLean and Raymond & Co., on Brady street.

Up to 1858 there had been no banking law in Iowa.  That year a banking act was passed by the General Assembly, and a branch was established in this city, called the Merchants Branch of the State Bank of Iowa, with a capital of $50,000.  Its first officers were Geo. L. Davenport, President; B. B. Woodward, Cashier.  Its office was on the southeast corner of Main and Second streets.  The bank did a prosperous business, but in 1865, after having increased its capital to $100,000, and erected the banking house now occupied by the Davenport National Bank, was merged with the Davenport National Bank, which had just organized, with a capital of $100,000, and, abandoning its State charter for a national, became the Davenport National Bank of today.

The First National Bank was organized June 27, 1863, with a capital of $100,000.  Its organization papers were the first to be filed in Washington under the national banking act, and would have had the first charter issued, but for some informality in the papers which required them to be returned for correction.  This loss of time placed it at No. 15 on the list.  Its first board of directors were Royal L. Mack, Geo. S. C. Dow, Thos. Scott, J. E. Stevenson, Geo. H. French, James Armstong, Frank H. Griggs, John Schmidt, Austin Corbin.  Its first president was Austin Corbin, who was succeeded in the presidency by Ira M. Gifford, Hiram Price, James Thompson, Chas. E. Putnam and T. T. Dow.  The first cashier was Ira M. Gifford who was succeeded by D. C. Porter, Wm. H. Price, D. C. Porter, L. G. Gage and John B. Fidlar.

The present directors are Walker Adams, James Thompson, T. T. Dow, A. Burdick, Henry W. Kerker, L. Schricker, J. E. Stevenson, L. C. Dessaint, Nat. French, August Steffen, Henry Kohrs.

The Davenport National Bank was organized as before stated.  Its capital $200,000.  The original directors were Hiram Price, A. J. Preston, Lorenzo Schricker, J. H. Berryhill, Robert Lowry, C. S. Watkins, Geo. L. Davenport, John Owens, Samuel Hirschl.  The first president was A. J. Preston, who was succeeded by Geo. L. Davenport, B. B. Woodward and E. S. Ballord.  The first vice-president was J. H. Berryhill, who was succeeded by E. S. Ballord and S. T. Smith.  The first cashier was C. S. Watkins, succeeded by B. B. Woodward and Geo. E. Maxwell.

The present directors are W. D. Peterson, Geo. H. French, H. Price, L. Schricker, E. S. Ballord, I. H. Sears, W. Renwick, S. F. Smith, John P. Phelps.



was organized March 18, 1868, and opened with charter No. 1,671 at southwest corner of Brady and Second streets, with a capital of $100,000.  Its first directors were L. B. Meyers, Thos. M. McClelland, W. C. Wadsworth, Jona. S. Smith, George E. Wood, D. N. Richardson, and George H. Parker.  Its first president was Moses Kelly, who was succeeded by W. C. Wadsworth, C. Stewart Ells, and Frank H. Griggs.  Its vice-president was J. S. Smith, who was succeeded by Robert Krause.  Its cashier was A. O. Butler, who was succeeded by J. C. Conklin, C. Stewart Ells, Hugo Schmidt, and E. T. Carl.  It was removed to the northwest corner Main and Second streets, in 1872 and its board increased from nine to eleven.

The present directors are:  T. W. McClelland, Robert Krause, Otto Albrecht, J. Lorenzen, Nicholas Kuhuen, D. N. Richardson, W. C. Wadsworth, F. H. Griggs, D. Gould, H. H. Andresen, P. T. Koch.



The first savings bank was organized in Davenport in the beginning of 1864, the incorporators being Austin Corbin, F. H. Griggs, J. J. Burtis, W. H. Decker, Geo. H. French, D. N. Richardson, Henry Lischer, Robert Krause, Daniel Gould, and several others.  It commenced business early in February, in the First National Bank Building, with a capital of $100,000, 10 per cent paid up.  Its first president was David S. True, and was managed by a Board of Control.  It grew rapidly and in a few years became a very wealthy institution, but becoming, through some of its personal connections, embroiled in what was known as the "First National Bank fight," went into liquidation in 1870 and its affairs wound up at great loss.  Upon its ruin was started the Davenport Savings Bank.


The German Savings Bank

was organized in March, 1869, with H. H. Andresen, Henry Lischer, Louis Wohle, Nicholas Kuhnen, John Lyter, Jens. Lorenzen, Daniel Gould and others as incorporators.  The capital was $10,000 paid up, and went into active operation Feb.1, 1869, at the northeast corner of Harrison and Second streets.  The original board consisted of H. H. Andresen, Henry Lischer, Robert Krause, Louis Wohle, John M. Lyter, Daniel Gould, Otto Albrecht, and Jens. Lorenzen.  Henry Lischer was the first President; L. Wohle, Vice-president; H. H. Andresen, Cashier; which officers have held their positions without change to this day.  The present directory is as follows:  H. H. Andresen, Henry Lischer, Nicholas Kuhuen, Otto Albrecht, Daniel Gould, Jens. Lorenzen, J. M. Lyte, Henry Techentin, and L. Wohle.


The Davenport Savings Bank

The Davenport Savings Bank was organized under the General Incorporation Laws of the State, on March 28, and opened its doors for business on April 5, 1870.  Its authorized capital was $600,000 and its paid up capital $12,000.  The former was subsequently increased to $900,000 and the latter to $54,000.  The following persons constituted its first Board of Trustees, viz.:  James Grant, Charles E. Putnam, Louis Haller, Henry Kohrs, John Schmidt, F. Ochs, E. Sherman, Ira M. Gifford, J. D. Campbell, Peter Kerker, and D. N. Richardson.  Of these, the four persons first named have remained in the board down to the present time.

Upon the inauguration of the savings bank system in the State, this bank was the first to re-organize thereunder.  Its certificate of re-organization bears date Oct. 17, 1874.  Under the new system the authorized capital of the bank was fixed at $120,000, its cash capital remaining as before, $54,000.  The latter, under the requirements of the law, has been increased as the deposits of the bank increased, until, at the present time, the paid-up capital is $90,000, and the preliminary steps have been taken for its further increased to $120,000, the limit of its authorized capital.

The following persons constitute its present Board of Trustees, viz.:  Charles E. Putnam, James Grant, Louis Haller, Henry Kohrs, August Steffen, William O. Schmidt, J. D. Morrison, S. F. Smith and J. J. Richardson.

Charles E. Putnam has been the president of the bank since its organization.  Mr. Francis Ochs was its cashier until August, 1874, when he resigned on account of ill-health.  Since that time Mr. Richard Smetham has been its cashier, with the exception of a brief period, when the position was filled by Charles N. Voss.  Louis Haller is Vice-president, and John B. Meyer, Assistant Cashier.

The career of the bank has been a marked financial success.  It has furnished not only a valuabel investment for the stockholders, but a safe and valuable depository of the savings of the people.

Interest at the rate of six per cent per annum, compounded quarterly, was paid on all deposits in the bank up to September, 1879, and since that date, five per cent per annum for all full calendar months has been allowed.  Thus, the large aggregate of $243,573.48 has been paid, as interest on deposits, since the organization of the bank.

The number of open accounts in Bank Jan. 1, 1882, was 2,084, and the deposit that day, $905,567.18, thus giving an average deposit to each account of $434.53.





Lumber was among the first needs of the settlers.  Beams could be obtained from the forests, but boards were almost a necessity.  Lumber for doors and sash was brought by boat around from Cincinnati, but this was only within the means of the few; the many must haul in hard-wood logs to the mill and have boards sawn with which to finish their cabins.  The pineries of the north were as yet undeveloped, and the use of steam too expensive to be then considered.  The first mills were saw-mills run by water.  It was Capt. Benj. Clark, the first settler in the county, who built the first saw-mill - built it at the mouth of Duck Creek, 15 miles up the river from his home in Buffalo.  He wanted lumber to improve his town site, the first to be located, and so got material, secured the needful machinery from St. Louis, dammed the then more plentiful waters of the creek, and sawd the first lumber made in these parts.  This was in 1834.  The lumber was rafted at the mill and floated down the Mississippi to Buffalo, while yet there was but a cabin or two in Davenport.  The mill was a great blessing to the communtiy and enabled not a few to shelter their families more comfortably.  Most of the early houses of Buffalo were built of lumber from this mill.

Mr. Clark sold the mill to Doolittle, Moss & Co.  In 1838 the firm became Doolittle & Bradley, the other partners having been bought out by a new comer named Horace Bradley, yet one of the most thrifty residents of the county.  The mill made some money for the new firm; at least, when some seven years later Mr. Bradley concluded to go to farming, he had $500 in cash to invest.  The first mill was abandoned after Mr. Bradley left it, and but a slight trace remains.  Mr. Doolittle was here but a short time, residing pricipally in the East.

In 1835 Samuel Hedges built a mill on Crow Creek, where that stream is crossed by "Middle Road."  Crow Creek was more of a stream then than now, now that farm improvements and removal of woodland have sapped its sources.  The mill did a fair business for some time; but not bringing promised success was abandoned, not, however, before the despondent owner had suspended his body from one of its roughly hewn beams.  In 1837 Mr. Hedges attempted to retrieve his fortunes by putting in a run of stone to grind grain; but this also proved a failure.

In 1838 Samuel Parker, a pioneer from Pepperell, Mass., invested in a five-acre mill site on Duck Creek, back of what is now known as Camp McClellan, and taking in Isaac Hawley and William Eldridge as partners, the firm built a good saw-mill.  That it did not prosper was owing to a lack of water and logs.  This circumstance led to the abandonment of the enterprise and the demolition of the mill in a year or two after its erection.  In same year Stephen Henley and R. H. Spencer built a small saw-mill at mouth of Crow Creek, but it was of only four years' duration.

In the same year the Quinn Mill was built at Pleasant City, a village that had been started on section 9, Winfield township, by John Owens, merchant, and others.  Like the village of which it was a part, it did business at small profit for a year or two, and then disappeared.  In 1851 or 1852 Jabez Hitchcock built a wing-dam saw-mill at "the Rocks," on the Mississippi, near the present "Watkins Place," but the ice swept the investment into the channel of the Mississippi before any great results had been achieved.

In 1842 Thomas Wood built a grist-mill and distillery on the river bank in Davenport, near the lower saw-mill.  He ground corn for the farmers and distilled corn into whisky.  The investment was not sufficiently profitable to encourage the enterprise, so it ended in a few years.  This was the first and, so far as is known, the last whisky distillery in Davenport.

It was 10 years after the date of the last water-power mill that the first steam saw-mill was put in operation in this vicinity, to saw rafted logs, that by 1848 were being brought from the Wisconsin pineries.  This mill was built by a Mr. McCarthy, on a river site, between Gaines and Warren streets.  Mr. McCarthy died in the same year, or the next, and a firm named Rhodes & Perrin then operated it; afterward Mead, Smith & Marsh.  Finally, in 1857, it being then the property of James Grant, it was improved and worked for a year or two by Grant & Kimball; then stood still for several years, went to ruin, and was finally destroyed by fire.

In 1849 a Mr. Howard erected the lower mill at Davenport, which, in a year or two, came into the possession of Alex McGregor, who, in 1854, sold them to John M. Cannon, and later into the firm of Cannon & French, which firm was succeeded by French & Davies; then by John L. Davies & Son, and is now the property of Paige, Dixon & Co.  Its cut in 1868 amounted to 7,000,000 feet, and in 1881, 13,000,000.

In 1840 Strong Burnell built a large saw and planing mill on Front street, between Scott and Ripley.  In 1851 he took into partnership S. S. Gillett and J. H. Lambrite.  The firm did a large business here and in the pineries until 1858, when it failed, and the mill remained idle until it was started up a year or two after by G. K. Barce, who, after a run of a few years, sold it to Dessanint & Schricker in 1865.  In 1868 the firm became Schricker & Mueller, and so remains.  It cut 5,000,000 feet of lumber in 1868, and in 1881, 13,000,000 feet.

In 1850 a mill was built in East Davenport by Robert Christie, which was in operation until 1868, when it was purchased by D. Stanchfield, who ran it a year or two.  It was destroyed by fire in 1862.

In 1854 the mill of Renwick & Son was built by that firm, and has been run by them until within a few years past when the firm became Renwick, Shaw & Crossett.  The lumber cut at the mill in 1868 was 4,000,000 feet, and in 1881, 14,500,000 feet.

In 1856 Bosworth & Allen erected a mill, corner of Front and Warren streets, which was operated by several parties, and destroyed by fire in 1858.

In 1867 Lindsay & Phelps built a mill in East Davenport which is still run by that firm.  In 1868 the lumber cut was 2,500,000 feet.

In 1868 L. C. Dessaint built a saw-mill in East Davenport which began operation in the spring of 1869.  Three years later he sold it to Price, Hornley & Kehoe - and two years later Mr. Kehoe sold his interest to his partners, and John Hornley and Geo. W. Cable leased the mill of the owners.  The firm of Hornley & Cable was dissolved by the death of the former in 1879, since which time is has been operated by the Cable Lumber Company.  Its cut in 1881 was 12,325,000 feet.

There have been two steam saw-mills in Le Claire, one owned and run by Alfred Jansen in 1854, and for some years later.  It was destroyed by fire.  The other built in 1856 by Davenport & Rogers was an unsuccessful enterprise, and the mill was removed elsewhere.  In Le Claire, also, was a wing dam mill, which was later turned into a grist-mil, in which capacity it is now operated.

At Buffalo a steam saw-mill was built in 1854 by Shue Bros.  It was torn down in 1881 to make way for the track of the Southwestern Railroad.  It was a mill of the smaller class.

Bread is very much the staff of life in a new country.  Previous to 1835 what settlers there were in this county got their milling from afar, the nearest grist-mill being on Henderson River back of Oquaka, 50 miles away; or had their meal and flour brought up from St. Louis.  In 1835 a grist-mill was built on Crow Creek where it is crossed by the river road to Le Claire.  It was the enterprise of Haskell & Davis, 16 x 18, of hewn logs, one run of stones cut from prairie boulders, and set of bolts.  This served a purpose in a plain and gritty way until 1838 when it was abandoned and the timbers sold to A. C. Fulton, who split them into fence rails.  This was the only grist-mill of its class that we have any record of.

In 1836 John H. Sullivan got out material for a steam flour and saw mill that went into operation in Rockingham in 1837.  It was a strong builing and ran in th ecustom and shipping line - affording the farmers a needed home market for their grain.  The saw-mill part was of small importance; it did a good business, running until 1847 when it was determined fully that Rockingham was to be no more a place upon the map.  Two years of its time it was run by J. M. D. Burrows, which was his first milling experience in this county.  A part of the machinery was bought by John Coleman and used to run his boat the "Mary C.," the first and perhaps the last steamer built for river traffic in this county.  The frame was bought by the late Rev. James Gilruth, with which he built a barn on his farm north of this city.

In 1836 D. C. Eldridge brought some horse-power mills, "Gentry's Metallic," from Cincinnati, one of which he set up near his store on brimstone corner (Front and Ripley), Davenport.  The grinding was done in an imperfect manner, the machine run by as many horses as the owner of the grist chose to put on.  It is related of Ebenezer Cook that grinding a sack of corn with his old mare was the work of a full day.  Two more of these mills were sold by Mr. Eldridge to a Prarie du Chien party for a pair of mules and a wagon.  The former went and drowned themselves in the Mississippi, and the latter brought the seller $20.  The remaining one was bought by David Miller, who worked it by mill power out on the Long Grove road at the hull farm, with such poor success that a pair of boots were taken in satisfaction of the purchase price.  The first steam flouring-mill built in Davenport went into operation in January, 1848.  It was the old "Albion," on Front street, cornering on Perry, built of brick, 43 x 38, and three stories high.  It was begun by Ambrose C. Fulton in 1846, but before completion, he sold it to Burrows & Prettyman.  It was enlarged and improved by that firm several times, and cost them many thousand dollars.  Its highest capacity was 300 barrels of flour daily. It was consumed by fire in 1863, and was not rebuilt.

Having sold the Albion Mills, Mr. Fulton immediately set about building the AEtna Mills, alongside.  They are of wood, the principal dimensions 57 x 60, three stories, with a engine house annex, 50 x 27 and three run of stone.  The mills were completed and flour made on the 15th day of January, 1848, and this was the first steam-mill grist ground in Davenport.  The time occupied in the erection of this mill was five months and twenty-two days.  When the excavation for foundations was begun, the lumber of which it was to be built was growing in the forest, the stone was yet unquarried, and the brick not yet molded.  It was conidered a very enterprising feat.  On its opening a great banquet was served in the second story of the mill by the appreciative citizens, in which 300 persons participated, and on which occasion speeches were made by James Grant, and others.  Mr. Grant, among other things, stated to the assembled multitude that he had but just arrived home from Iowa City, where the State Legislature was in session, and that that body had just granted a charter for a railroad from Davenport to Council Bluffs, which information was received with three hearty cheers.  More speeches, toasts, and responses followed and the first flour-mill was duly dedicated.  It cost about $11,000.  Mr. Fulton operated his mill a year or so, and then leased it to Macklot, Inslee & Davenport, who used it another, when it came into the hands of the owners of the Albion Mills who swapped the machinery with Davneport & Rogers, of Le Claire, for Credit Island.  The machinery was afterward used in Swan Mills, Le Clairo.  In 1853 the AEtna was demolished to make room for Burrows Block.

In 1844 Richard Smetham built a mill at the corner of Ripley and Front streets to grind kiln-dried corn meal, which he proposed to ship to the Liverpool market, but the enterprise, as did one or two later ones of the same particular character, came to naught.

In 1853 Davenport & Rogers built the Swan Mills at Le Claire, using the machinery taken from the AEtna Mills, Davenport.  This mill was afterward run by Terhune & Grout, and burned down some years after.

In 1853 Mr. Wm H. Hildreth built the Economy Flour Mills at East Davenport.  The structure was of stone, the machinery of latest improvment - four run of burrs.  It was first operated by Hildreth & Dallam, afterward by George T. Elliot, but, proving a thriftless venture, was finally sold to be converted into a brewery, and is now run as such by Mesrs Kochler & Lange, of Arsenal Brewery.  This brewery firm came into posession also of a flour mill built alongside by Squires, Christie & Hoath in 1856, which was likewise a financial failure, and changed hands to be used as stated.

In 1855 Spencer & Stafford, two thrifty farmers in Pleasant Valley township, invested $12,000 in a large brick flour-mill at Valley City.  They hauled the coal and most of their grain from Davenport, and hauled the flour back again to Davenport to be shipped.  The mill ruined its builders, and afterward was run on lease; finally came into the hands of Mr. Mitchell, of Rock Island, and after being run a while and standing idle more or less, it was finally destroyed by fire.

In 1856 John Jackson, a wel-to-do farmer just north of Davenport, invested several thousand dollars in a flour-mill on his farm.  It was run by him two or three years, proved a failure, ruined Farmer Jackson, and was abandoned.  Farmer Nicholas J. Rusch built a flour-mill, driven by wind-power, on his farm six miles out of Davenport, on the Dubuque road.  It consumed $8,000 of his capital, and after running and idling for seven or eight years became food for the flames.

In the same year Green, Gillett & Co. built a flour-mill on Second street, Davenport, between Scott and Ripley streets, which did good for eight years, and then burned down; and in the same year Smith's wing-dam saw-mill in Le Claire was provided with flouring apparatus.  Steam-power has since been added, and it is one of the mills of to day.

In 1857 Jacob Wever, Jr., built a patent flour-mill on the southwest corner of Third and Perry streets which was not a success, and the machinery was removed elsewhere.  The same year Fredk. Rothstein built a steam flour-mill in Allen's Grove, which proving unprofitable, was by him in 1862 removed over to the Wapsie in Clinton County, where it is yet run as a profitable water-power mill.  Out at Blue Grass, in the same year, M. Donaline, of Davenport, built a flour-mill, which he operated at a loss for a few years, then removed it to Davenport, by Donahue & Stribling, and afterward became well-known as Johnston's mill; later on it was sold to H. P. Beattie who enlarged and operated it as the Excelsior Mills until 1879, when it burned down and was by him rebuilt on an improved plan as the Phoenix Mills, but soon fell into the hands of the Phoenix Mill Company, organized by F. H. Griggs, E. S. Carl, F. T. Blunck, Henry Pahl and Robert Krause.  In August, 1881, when almost ready for business, it was consumed by fire, but was again erected larger and with yet finer equipment, with latest improved roller machinery, at an expense of $75,000.  It has a capacity of 400 barrels per day.

In 1857 A. Nugent built a brick flour-mill in Le Claire, which was operated by different parties for several years, and then passed out of use.

A grist-mill was built in Princeton in 1859, and was operated by Steffle & Penner, but was destroyed by fire some 20 years ago.

In 1860 J. Nyce & Co. built a mill in Fulton's block, Perry street, which was operated but a year or two.

In 1862 D. A. Burrows built a mill on the levee cornering on Perry street, which proved a failure on his hands.  It was afterward run for awhile by several parties, but in 1867 came into the hands of J. M. D. Burrows, in whose possession it burned.

Meredith & Lockwood built the Davenport City Mills on Front street, east of Le Claire street, in 1867, which, after some time, was operated by a stock company, but suspended operations in 1872.

In 1863 J. M. D. Burrows brought in the Allolessa Mill and erected it on Fifth and Harrison streets, on the site of a burned elevator.  It did good business for some years; then burned, and was not rebuilt.

In 1868 Dow, Gilman & Hancock built the Crescent Mills at Fourth and Le Claire streets, which are yet in full operation, largely increased in capacity since its building.  It is a roller-mill, costing $60,000, with a capacity of 300 barrels daily.  In connection with this mill is the elevator on Fifth and Sherman streets, with a capacity of 55,000 bushels.

In 1873 Winn & Blagrove built a flour-mill on Harrison street, above Sixth, which in 1877 came into the hands of Warnebold & Wittenberg, which has recently been remodeled into a roller-mill at a total cost of $25,000, and has a capacity of about 200 barrels per day.

The Davenport Oat-Meal Mills were introduced in 1879, and first occupied the northeast corner of Front and Brady, and operated by a stock company with a capital of $50,000.  The first  Board of Directors were:  J. H. Murphy, President; J. F. O'Connor.  Vice-President; N. C. Martin, Secretary; J. H. Murphy, J. F. O'Connor, S. M. Williams, N. C. Martin, Thos. Johnson, Directors.  The mills were burned in 1881, and the old Burtis House property purchased and remodeled for the enterprise.  The capital stock was all paid up and a new board elected, consisting of F. H. Griggs, F. H. Miller, N. Petersen, J. H. Murphy and J. F. O'Connor.  It has a capacity of 100 barrels daily.

The Davenport Woolen Mills were established here in 1863 by Joseph Shields, and were operated with success from the start, and enlarged from year to year until the proprietor had invested $60,000.  They were overtaken by misfortune in 1878, in the summer of which year Mr. Shields died, and the establishment fell into the hands of the Davenport National Bank, which leased it out to Jennings, Brady & Tearing, and afterward sold it to a stock company.  The capital stock is $40,000.  It was the first mill of the kind, and the last, that has been operated in the county.

Renwick's Saw-Mill was built by Renwick & Son in 1854, and has been rebuilt and improved several times since.  The son, William Renwick, purchased his father's share in 1859, and the mill was conducted by him until the spring of 1875 when it was leased to Renwick, Shaw & Crassett; it has been enlarged and improved under their management.  It was rebuilt and new machinery put in, in the winter of 1879 - '80, also new boilers and new engines put in in the winter of 1880 - '81.  They get their logs mostly from the Chippewa and Black Rivers, and own pine forests, which they have cut.  When the mill was first built it had a capacity of 12,000 a day; now has from 110 to 130 thousand.  They employ 160 men in the mill yards and planing mill.  Their annual expenses amount to $800,000, excluding what they pay their wood cutters.  The mill has been in operation every year but one since it was erected.



In the fall of 1872 H. G. Weinert had succeeded in producing grape sugar out of corn starch in small quantities on a cooking stove, and laid his results and samples before the Board of Trade who appointed R. Krause, N. Kuhnen and Thomas Scott as committee to examine into merits, etc.  They sent samples of the grape sugar to 40 or 50 wine growers, beer brewers and to Prof. Henrickson, and all answers came favorable.  A company was formed with a capital of $20,000 by H. G. Weinert, F. H. Griggs, H. H. Andresen, R. Krause, Otto Albrecht, H. O. Seifert, N. Kuhnen, Johnn S. Davis, Geo. L. Davenport, J. H. Murphy, G. Schlegel; buildings and machinery were constructed under H. G. Weinert, superintendent, and after having operated about 15 months the company suspended operations, having sunk over $15,000.  In the fall of 1874 Mr. L. P. Best, the present superintendent, opened correspondence representing himself as an expert in the manufacture of grape sugar and glucose and offered to invest $3,000 if the company would furnish the balance of needed capital.  A new company was formed on a basis of $30,000 and new works constructed.  Their company operated about two years without material success, but it satisfied interested parties that it could be made a success, and a new building, five-story brick, and new machinery were erected and the capital doubled to $60,000 in the summer of 1876.  The enterprise now became self-sustaining; was consuming 700 bushels corn daily and had accumulated by July, 1877, quite a surplus when the works were destroyed by fire, which wiped out nearly all accumulations but left the capital intact and paid the old stockholders the first cash dividend of 6 - 1/2 per cent.  The stockholders, having great confidence in the growing demand of the product, at once resolved to rebuild on a greatly increased capacity, and work was begun immediately clearing away the debris, and in six months from the day of the fire the new works were again in operation with a daily consume of 2,000 bushels of corn.  Since then until the present time there have been large buildings and improved machinery added until the full capacity of the works today amounts to 3,300 bushels corn daily consume.  The company increased its capital stock to $200,000, on Jan. 1, 1881, and at present employs a capital of over $300,000, and consumed in the year 1881 about 700,000 bushels corn.  The works consist of four and six story brick buildings and have a floor room of 131,000 square feet, besides corn-crib capacity for 150,000 bushels, and give steady employment to 75 hands, besides four teams, office help, and about 25 coopers making barrels and kegs.  The quantity and quality of water being of great importance the company have sunk two artesian wells, one to a depth of 960 feet, which flows about 300 gallons of water per minute, and a second, now over 1,500 feet deep, throwing about 450 gallons of excellent pure water per minute, and this well when finished is expected to force the water through stand pipes to the top of the highest building at the rate of 500 gallons per minute.  The standard quality of the grape sugar, glucose and table sirups, of the Davenport Glucose Manufacturing Company has a wide reputation and is being sold to all the principal cities in the United States, and when corn is ruling at average price can be successfully exported to Europe and Australia.  The works have nine large boiler engines of 250 horse-power and consume about 6,000 tons of coal per annum and 400 tons of coke.



McCosh & Donahue established this business in 1860.  The marble works are situated at 211 Perry, the lime and coal office at 314 East Third street.  They employ from 15 to 20 men; they make lime at Le Claire and East Davenport, beginning the manufacture of that article in 1881.  They do an enormous business, the annual wholesale and retail sales aggregating $140,000.  They do all knids of marble and granite work.  Combined sale of marble, lime, cement, and coal.



The Board of trade of the city of Davenport was organized in 1867.  Its object and aims are to collect and record such local and general statistical information relating to commerce and manufactures as may promote the interest of Davenport, and to protect and advance the welfare of the commercial and manufacturing and all other classes of citizens, to promote the just and equitable principles in trade, and to establish uniformity in the commercial usages of the city.  There are two classes of members:  one class consists of large manufactures, wholesale dealers and large capitaliste, who pay the sum of $10 annually.  Professional men and others not included in the above class pay the sum of $5 annually. The following are the present officers:  A. F. Williams, pres.; F. H. Hancock, First Vice-pres.; Geo. P. McClelland, Second Vic-Pres.; L. F. Parker, Sec.; W. C. Wadsworth, Treas.; Directors:  - A. F. Williams, Geo. H. French, W. C. Wadsworth, W. D. Peterson, J. B. Phelps, W. S. Brown, F. H. Hancock, Geo. P. McClelland, S. F. Gilman, R. Kruse, Fred. Melchert, and L. F. Parker.

We copy from the Annual Report of the Board of trade in this city the following statistics, showing the progress of business in the different branchs of trade up to the close of the year.

"The footings in some of the principal branches of trade, for the year ending Dec. 31, 1857, show an aggregate in the same of $14,485,812.24.  Of this amount $8,539,744.28 have been banking and exchange; $2,628,602.57 sales of merchandise; $1,158,000 sales of grain and provisions; $353,000 of sales of consignments and forwarding; $751,059 manufacturing not estimated in sales; $450,029 on freight and cartage; $555,406.39 lumber, doors, sash, etc.

The banking department shows an aggregate of $6,616,737.34 for exchange, and $1,923,006.94 for discounts.

Owing to the monetary difficulties, which came upon us so suddenly in October there has been a falling off in all branches of trade.  In no department have the figures been so affected as in banking.  Druing 60 of the last 90 days, exchange has not been procurable at any price, or under any circumstances, except in very small sums.  Notwithstanding this, our local business has suffered far less diminution than was at first apprehended.

Careful inquiries have developed the fact beyond dispute that, during the last few months, we have had important accessions to our trade, from various sections of the country hitherto tributary to other points.  It is presuming very little to say, that the acquaintances thus formed cannot but result mutually advantageous.  Whether the first introduction was the result of purely superior inducements in stock and prices, which our merchants are ever ready to offer, or more directly the effect of the local currency, that has been so exclusively the agent of our transactious, is not left for decision here, an, indeed, it is no matter; having gained so much of a point, it only remains to retain it.

The high price of exchange has operated more manifestly upon the stocks of grocers, in the articles of coffee, sugar and molasses, and has maintained the price of these articles, at quotations much above the ordinary margin between this and Eastern and Southern markets.  The indications being favorable for a speedy equalization of funds, we may reasonably hope for an improvement in these articles and a corresponding increase of sales of the same.

Of all the wheat received during the comprised period, there were manufactured into flour 879,000 barrels.

The number of hogs packed at this point was 13,000.

The estimated value of the same after allowing for the wheat, etc. is $1,158,000.

The commission and forwarding business, with an aggregate of $353,000, shows an advance for freight and charges of $150,000.

There are few points in the West where the manufacture of flour is more largely engaged in.

The value of this department alone approimates $1,000,000, while the brands of the different mills enjoy an enviable reputation in foreign markets.



Early in January, 1882, a reorganization of the Board of trade was effected, and upon a new basis.  The former fees of membership were $10 per annum.  This fee was changed to $10 and $5, the latter rate admitting a number who had no interest in the grain, milling, produce or packing industries.  This left the representatives of these industries in the minority, and the Board of trade determined not to furnish market reports.

As the obtaining of market reports was one of the principal objects of the organization for the grain, milling, produce and packing representatives, they were forced to abandon the Board of Trade and thereupon organized the Davenport Produce Exchange on Jan. 23, 1882.

This Exchange has a membership of 52.  The membership fees are $30 and $15.  Total amount subscribed to date, $1,135.

The Exchange receives daily telegraphic market reports from Chicago every 15 minutes, from New York, Milwaukee, St. Louis and Liverpool.  The exchange room is supplied with price currents from the principal markets, and the leading daily newspapers.  The officers of the Exchange for 1882 are:  Pres. T. T. Dow; Vice pres., Fred Melchert; Directors, H. P. Wheeler, F. H. Hancock, John Ruch, Henry Kohrs, E. Hickman, W. H. Decker, J. S. Gilmore; Arbitration Committee, B. Glaspell, L. Haller, D. B. Sears; Board of Appeals, Jno. F. Dow, Lucas Ruhl, W. R. H. Alexander; Treasurer, S. F. Gilman; Secretary, F. S. Rutherford.



The city of Davenport has two lines of street railway.  The first, the Davenport City Railway Company, was organized in 1867 and constructed in 1868; was known as the Third street line, extending east and west the entire length of the city.  The first directors of this line were A. C. Fulton, John L. Swits, Ira M. Gifford, Thos. Scott, Joseph Shields, Chas. E. Putnam, B. B. Woodward, H. R. Claussen and James Armstrong; A. C. Fulton, first president.  The road is now operated by Mr. Henry Schnitger, who holds a 10 years' lease.  The other organization is known as the Davenport Central Railway Co., and was organized and constructed, November, 1870.  The street cars began running about July, 1871, from the corner of second and Brady streets to the Fair Grounds.  Subsequently a branch was built from the corner of Fifteenth and Brady streets to Mississippi avenue in East Davenport; also a branch from corner of Grand avenue and Fifteenth street to Oak Dale Cemetery; another from the corner of Sixteenth and Brady streets to the Washington Garden, West Davenport.  The present officers are as follows:  James Grant, President; George Murry, Vice-Pres.; S. F. Smith, Treas.; O. S. McNeil, Sec.; Directors, James Grant, D. N. Richardson, Geo. Murry, Whit. M. Grant, S. F. Smith, R. D. Meyers, O. S. McNeil, W. R. Haight, Geo. H. Parker.  The road is now operated by J. M. Davies, who leased the road for a term of 10 years, beginning April 1, 1877.



As a city grows, the question of a water supply becomes an important one.  The city being unable to do anything, Michael and Peter Donahue, the former of Davenport and the latter of California, undertook the erection of water-works in this city, and organized Jan. 13, 1873, and took active personal control of the whole financial and mechanical details of the enterprise.  They proceeded at once to the work, and on the first day of January, 1874, less than one year after, started the pumps of the Davenport Water-Works.  These pumps were 17 inches in diameter, six-feet stroke, and engines 22 inches in diameter, 36-inch stroke, with 15 miles of pipe laid down in the streets.  There are now 22 miles of main, and private consumers are constantly increasing.  A. H. Sanders says of the works, in a pamphlet published in 1874:

"The water is better for all ordinary purposes than any other which has heretofore been used here.  It is taken from the channel of the Mississippi River, by means of a conduit cut in the rock under the bed of the river, 150 feet from the shore.  The expense of the cofferdam to accomplish this great work to secure perfectly pure water, away from the influence of the sewerage of the city, was more than the whole cost of water-works at some places.  The main pipes from the works are 14 inches in diameter, and the farthest point from the works is three miles.  The highest point pumped to is 175 feet, and at this height there is always pressure sufficient to put out any fire, or throw a flood of water on the highest houses in the locality.

"Although Davenport has never been devastated by any large conflagration, yet the warnings of destructive fires elsewhere had suggested ample provisions here as circumstances would admit, to prevent such a clamity.  Hand engines were superseded by steam engines, with proper supplies of hose, and hook and ladder carriages, and companies to manage all this machinery, and houses for their accommodation. But the deficiency of available water in many quarters of the city made this costly apparatus at last only partially useful as a protection.  The water-works have now rendered the presence of any of these steam engines entirely unnecessary.  With public hydrants at almost every block corner, and even extending to the outskirts of the city, it merely requires a connection of the hose to have the equivalent of a steam engine wherever a hydrant is located.  Of these public hydrants, 240 will be required by the city, and paid for, by the 1st of next January.  Davenport is now safe from any extensive conflagration.  Many tests have been made of this water-power by the application of hose without the knowledge of any one interested in or at the water-works, and it has been abundantly proved that on the bluffs, as below, they can throw on top or over, and deluge any building, and from a number of streams at once.  By an official test at nearly the highest point water is pumped, two heavy streams of water were thrown 160 feet.  Several fires and the speedy subduing of them have already demonstrated that no large fire can ever threaten Davenport under our present water arrangements.  Hose companies are being organized on the bluffs, or in more distant parts of the city, for the protection of neighborhoods.  The water is there in any quantity, and only the availabilities are required for its use when necessary in time of danger.  Besides the public accommodations, and the idea of safety consequent upon the establishment of these great water-works, it must have its marked influence in reducing insurance.

"The water-works rates for consumers are reasonable, and can form no just subject of complaint.  These works have cost over a half million of dollars, and, being owned by a private company, are no tax on the city.  It simply pays for its public hydrants for fire purposes, just as individuals do for their private use of this water-power, and water that is crystal pure is the brightest spring water.  No city in the West or country has a better supply of water for public use, nor through its water-works better protection against conflagration."



In the spring of 1837 the first duel "on record" in Iowa was fought between two Winnebago Indians.

The first marriage in Davenport was William B. Watts and a niece of Antoine Le Claire, in 1837

The first female born in Davneport was a daughter of D. C. Eldridge.

On the 8th of May, 1841, the first Territorial Whig Convention was held in Davenport.

The first Fire Department of Davenport was organized the 27th of July, 1838, by requiring every man who had a house, to keep two fire buckets always in readiness, and to use them.

The first temperance society was organized by Rev. Asa Turner, receiving at its first organization 56 signatures, Rodolphus Bennett, the mayor, being its first president.  The society commenced with about 80 members.

The first flouring mill in Davenport was introduced by D. C. Eldridge, being one of "Getty's Patent Metallic Mills.:  It was somewhat larger than a coffee mill, and its motive power was horseflesh.

The first Ferry Company was organized in the spring of 1837.

Dr. A. E. Donaldson was the first resident physician.

The first hotel was opened by Edward Powers in 1836, on the corner of Front and Ripley streets, and was built by Davenport and Le Claire, and called the Davenport Hotel.

James Mackintosh opened the first store in 1836.  His stock consisted of a general assortment of dry goods, groceries, hardware, provisions, etc., worth about $5,000.  He commenced business on the corner of Third and Ripley Streets, in a log house.

The first child born in Davenport was a son of  L. S. Colton, born in the fall of 1836.

The first law office in Davenport was opened by A. McGregor, in April, 1836.

The first religious discourse was delivered by Rev. Mr. Gavitt, in the house of D. C. Eldridge.

The pioneer ball was held in Mr. Le Claire's house, Jan. 8, 1836; some 40 couples were present.

In the summer of 1836, Antoine Le Claire was appointed first postmaster.  Postage at that time was 25 cents.  The postmaster carried the mail across the river in his pockets; and his percentage for the first three months was 75 cents.

There were seven houses in the old town limits at the close of the year 1836.

The first brick-yard was constructed and owned by Harvey Leonard in 1837.

Frazer Wilson was the first sheriff of Scott County.

In the summer of 1837, the first brick house was built by D. C. Eldridge.

The first Presbyterian organization was completed this year.

On the 15th day of August, 1838, the first number of the Iowa Sun was published by Mr. A. Logan.

In September, 1838, a stock company was formed and built a school-house.

The first shoe store was opened in 1841, by L. B. Colamer.

The first butcher's stall opened by Mr. Armitage.

The first harness shop was opened the same year by Jacob Sailor.

The same year R. L. Limbaugh opened a watch-making and jewelry store.

The first Bible society was organized in 1842.

The first pork packing was done in 1842, by J. M. D. Burrows. Mr. A. C. Fulton entered the business in 1843.

1850 - In 1850 there were in Davenport twenty-two carpenters, nine stone masons, five brick-makers, six bricklayers, ten cabinet-makers, five chair-makers, seven wheelwrights, two coach-makers, twelve blacksmiths, fifteen coopers, five saddle and harness makers, one trunk maker, eight boot and shoe makers, three tin and coppersmiths, seven tailors, four engineers, three millers, two sawyers, eight draymen, nine teamsters, three butchers, one dyer and scourer, one gunsmith, one watch-maker, one japanner, one turner, one baker, one upholsterer, one barber, nine ministers of the gospel, four physicians, two lawyers, and, a local writer adds, "all are actively and profitably engaged, unless I might except the physicians and lawyers, and work plenty for a few more."  At the same time there were two newspapers, two steam flouring mills, one steam saw-mill, one college, one medical college, five schools, three hotels, two billiard rooms, two coffee houses, nineteen stores, one public hall, one exchange office, two pork houses, one livery stable, one plow factory.