HISTORY OF WAR ACTIVITIES OF
SCOTT COUNTY IOWA 1917-1918
ED. Ralph W. Cram. Davenport, Iowa: Scott Co. Council of National Defense.
"THE HOME GUARD"
Charles T. Kindt, Major
Immediately after the declaration of
war by the United States, as our National Guard was enlisted into the army, it
was deemed necessary to form some kind of military organization that would
safeguard our community. The result was the organization of what is now known as
the Scott County Home Guard.
A regular military organization was promulgated and
incorporated. R.B. Cook was elected President; L.M. Marks, First Vice-President;
Paul Lagomarcino, Second Vice-President; Charles T. Kindt, Secretary, and Otto
Rieche, Treasurer. The Board of Directors chosen consisted of: John Ploehn
representing the Manufacturers, M. Landauer representing the Merchants, Otto
Hill representing the Banks, and R.A. Thomson representing the Home Guards. R.B.
Cook acting as Secretary and Otto Rieche as Treasurer of the board.
The organization was divided into two parts, one a sustaining
membership to finance the organization and the other an active membership which
was the military end of the organization. Six thousand dollars was subscribed by
the various business organizations of Davenport for the purpose of furnishing
uniforms, etc., to the military members.
A battalion was formed of some two hundred men. Many changes
were made in the personnel of the battalion due to men constantly answering the
call for army service. Most of the Home Guard men who were inducted into the
service were non-commissioned officers within a few weeks after their entrance
into the army as a result of the training they had received in the Home Guard.
At the time the armistice was signed most of the men who had composed the
battalion were business and professional men who could not qualify for the army.
Charles T. Kindt was selected Major of the battalion, and
officers of the four companies were:
Company "A"- Captain, Frank A Hetzel; First
Lieutenant, R.P. Hayes, Second Lieutenant, H.R. Smythe.
Company "B"-Captain, R.E. Beede; First Lieutenant,
Frank L. Davis; Second Lieutenant, C.E. Alford.
Company "C"- Captain, E.A. Sanford (resigned and
replaced by Geo. T. Crowder); First Lieutenant, W.A. Hutton; Second Lieutenant,
J.D. Cantwell (resigned and replaced by J.A. Kerrigan.)
Company "D"- Captain, C.L. Leigh; First Lieutenant,
A.H. Reupke; Second Lieutenant, Chas. F. Cameron.
Lieut. R.A. Thomson was appointed Battalion Adjutant by Major
The military organization immediately became active in
drilling and in a very short time the entire battalion was in such condition as
to be able to give the city any assistance it might require in the way of police
protection or guard duty. The organization was called upon on many occasions and
proved very efficient. It was on duty for nearly twenty-four hours,
continuously, at the time of the celebration of the signing of armistice, when
the handling of the excited throng of thousands of celebrators without a serious
accident marring the happy occasion was properly credited in large part to the
efficient service of the Home Guard.
A short time after the armistice was signed, the question of
disbanding arose, but the battalion was prevailed upon to remain in existence
until such time as the city and county may have other military organizations
take its place.