Scott Co, Iowa - IAGenWeb Project

BIOGRAPHIES

 

Daniel Gould

From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

In a review of Davenport's history it becomes evident that Daniel Gould deserves prominent mention among its builders and promoters. Coming to this city at an early period in its development, he took an active part now only in its material but also in its intellectual and moral progress, and the influence of his character and work is yet felt in the lives of those with whom he was associated, and in the business and intellectual activities which were stimulated through his labors. He was born at Middletown, near Newport, Rhode Island, in the year 1814. His father, George Gould, and his mother, Lydia Shove Gould, were both of English ancestry. The Goulds of Rhode Island came from Dorchester, England, in 1637, A. D. The old manor house, called "Upway Manor," has been replaced by a much more modern edifice. The coat of arms of the Gould family is a lion rampant with the insignia "Probitate et Labore," honesty and labor. Jeremiah Gould and Priscilla Gould were the first ancestors to settle in this country. Daniel, their eldest son, settled at Middletown, Rhode Island, on a farm a portion of which has until recently remained in the possession of the Gould family. He married Wate, daughter of John Coggeshall (first president of the colony), on the 18th of June, 1651. Daniel Gould was a sturdy adherent of the principles of the Friends Society. He had great strength of character, as evidenced by having been one of a company of Quakers (as they were then called in derision) to be scoffed and mocked by a rude mob at Charlestone Ferry. He, with others, received thirty stripes upon the naked back, was cast into prison and made to lie with his bleeding back upon the bare boards. The only crimes of the sufferers were that they "were Friends in their religious belief." This ancestor was gifted in writing both prose and poetry. He traveled as a preacher on "truth's account" in Maryland and Virginia. The extracts from his memoirs are very interesting.

There were seven generations between this first Daniel Gould and the one of the present sketch, the name being handed down direct except in one generation. The Goulds and their descendants were always landowners in and around the island of Rhode Island. There is an island called Gould in Narragansett bay, which belonged to the family of Goulds one hundred years after the first settlement. The parents of Daniel Gould of this sketch removed from Rhode Island to Cranston, Rhode Island, where the son spent his boyhood, assisting his father to carry on a farm. His education consisted in what he could gain at school in the winter months. He attended the Friends school of Providence, Rhode Island, which is still in existence, being carried on in an up-to-date manner. The desire and ambition of Mr. Gould was to become a lawyer. He, however, gave up his own cherished plan in order to assist his parents. He was next to the eldest of eleven children and from early boyhood the one always to be depended upon. Nature had endowed him with a wonderfully robust constitution, else he must otherwise have succumbed to the many accidents which befell him. Born with a happy, buoyant disposition, he was ever the favorite among his comrades, as he was also the trusty friend in after years.

In 1836 Mr. Gould married Miss Susan L. Baker, who died soon after, in 1837. In 1840 he married Miss Sarah Earle, a daughter of John and Rhoda Earle, of Providence, Rhode Island. Her ancestors were also of English descent and of the Society of Friends and were among the early settlers on the Island of Nantucket. Mr. and Mrs. Gould lived in several of the manufacturing villages near Cranston. Mr. Gould had charge of some of the large stores connected with the mills. Here three of their children were born. Lydia Shove, born in 1843, died four years later. In 1852 Mr. Gould removed with his family to Providence, Rhode Island, where they remained until 1857, when they went west and settled at Davenport Iowa. Their youngest daughter, Lillie, was born here. An old friend, Robert Steare, of providence, came west at the same time and went into partnership with Mr. Gould in a large carpet and furnishing business at the corner of Perry and Second streets, the building owned by Mr. Dessaint. During the Civil war Mr. Gould put up two stores of his own, adjoining the block on the northeast corner of Brady and second streets, where he carried on business until he retired in 1881. The partnership between Mr. Gould and Mr. Steare was dissolved after a year's time, Mr. Gould continuing the business alone. Mr. Gould was also a manufacturer of furniture and owned his own factory on East River street, located next to the woolen mill.

One of Davenport's most respected and honored citizens, Mr. Gould was repeatedly urged to take the office of mayor of the city, but what time he could spare from his business was devoted to the school interests. For fifteen years he was a member of the school board - the longest time of service with one exception any member had ever been upon the board. He served both as president and director, and as chairman of the building committee he had the satisfaction of planning and overseeing several of the largest school buildings of the city. When he resigned from the board he was presented with a gold headed cane, beautifully engraved - a present from the teachers of the city, by whom he was much respected and beloved. He was the only member of the board ever to be thus honored. He was called the Father of the Teachers. His portrait, presented by his daughters to the school board, may be seen in the library of the new high school, where it is hoped it may be an inspiration and example to others.

Mr. Gould was among the first organizers of the German Savings and Citizens Banks of Davenport. His support and influence were eagerly sought by all new enterprises. After his death, by request, his portrait was presented to these banks and was placed in the reception room of the German Savings Bank. Mr. and Mrs. Gould gave their interest and financial support to the organization of the First Unitarian church of Davenport, but their loyalty to the Friends Society prevented their ever becoming members. Mr. Gould was a good story teller. He entered heartily into the spirit of his anecdotes, which never failed to interest his audience. He and his wife were in sympathy with the early movements of the temperance cause. They both took an active part in the movement for the abolition of slavery, for their hearts were ever open to the cries of the distressed and oppressed. Their thoughts and desires were toweard progression in all directions.

Naturally their children, brought up under such influences, could but follow in the same footsteps. The eldest daughter, Mary Elizabeth, was married to George Wing, of New Bedford. She was finely educated and prepared to become a leader and as such was always acknowledged. At one time she was the president of many of the leading clubs and societies of Davenport, where she made her home for some years. Afterward the family removed to Lincoln, Nebraska, where Mrs. Wing died in 1895. The foundation of the Davenport public library was due in no small measure to her efforts and counsel in its early days. Mr. and Mrs. Wing had five children and all except one are now living. Daniel Gould Wing is the president of the First National Bank of Boston and resides at West Newton, Massachusetts. Alice Earle is not married. She has devoted her life unselfishly to others. Elizabeth Russell married Professor De Witte Bristol Brace, of Lincoln, Nabraska, who filled an eminent position as chemist in the state university. He had attained more than a national reputation in his profession. Thomas Ellwood is a prominent lawyer of New York city. Ellen Maria Gould, the third daugher of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Gould, has devoted her life to philanthropy. Sarah Lydia, the youngest daughter, married Henry E. Lewis, of Claremont, New Hampshire. They settled at Lincoln, Nebraska. They have had six children, four of whom are now living. The eldest son, Harold Gould Lewis, is a graduate of the electrical engineering department of Columbia University of New York city. The eldest daughter, Edith Larabee, is a graduate of Smith College - a highly gifted young woman with literary talent that has led her to do magazine work and places her on the corps of editors of one of our prominent magazines. Ruth Stewart and Helen Chace are promising young ladies, still occupied with their school work.

Mr. Gould retired from business in 1881. He was presented with a very handsome gold watch chain by his employes, many of whom had been with him from youth to manhood. Mr. Gould was greatly surprised and pleased with this testimonial of their respect and good wishes. The anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Gould's golden wedding occurred December 4, 1890, but, owing to Mrs. Gould's feeble condition, it was celebrated very quietly. The last ten years of Mr. Gould's life were devoted to his invalid wife. His attentions were of such a nature that they attracted the observation of the community and remain a lasting monument to the love and devotion of a very noble man to a faithful, devoted wife. Mrs. Gould died April 13, 1897, and was soon followed by her husband, who died August 28, 1897.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Joseph N. Greene

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

There are many admirable traits of character exemplified in the life of Joseph N. Greene, who is now one of the patriarchal citizens of Davenport, having reached the age of eighty-four years. Much of his life was devoted to the art of photography but since 1894 he has lived retired. A native of Pennsylvania, Joseph N. Greene was born in Clearfield county, March 6, 1826, and is a son of Isaac and Elizabeth (Liebengood) Greene. The father was a carpenter by trade and during the latter part of his life engaged in boat building on the canal at Blairsville, to which place he removed with his family son after the birth of his son Joseph. The latter there resided until about 1862 and acquired his education in the public schools of that town. He now has in his possession a picture of the old log school building which was erected in 1830 and was used as a church and place of public meetings as well as for educational purposes. His father built the first house in Blairsville and the family were closely associated with the development and progress of the town. Both the father and mother died there, the former passing away at the age of fifty years, while the latter, long surviving him, reached the very advanced age of fifty years, while the latter, long surviving him, reached the very advanced age of ninety-four years. Her parents were among the first settlers of western Pennsylvania and as pioneer residents aided in planting the seeds of civilization in a virgin soil.

Joseph N. Greene, who was the fourth in a family of nine children, after pursuing his education in the schools of Blairsville, learned the trade of boat making under his father and followed it until after his father's death. He built a boat for himself about 1848 and used it on the canal there. In 1861 he organized a company at Blairsville for service in the Civil war, for his patriotic spirit was aroused by the attempt of the south to overthrow the Union. The organization became known as Company I of the Eleventh Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. They enlisted at Blairsville and went into camp at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, Mr. Greene being elected captain of the company. They remained in Harrisburg for about four months and then proceeded to Washington, D. C., joining the Army of the Potomac. Mr. Greene was in a number of skirmishes up to the time when he was honorably discharged on account of ill health in 1863.

Returning to Pennsylvania, he established his home in Allegheny, where he turned his attention to photography. In 1865 he removed to Geneseo, Illinois, and conducted a photograph gallery there until 1879, after which he went to Morrison and later to Sterling, Illinois, where he remained for two years. On the expiration of that period he came to Davenport and since 1894 has continuously lived retired. During his active connection with the photographic art he kept in touch with all the modern processes of taking pictures and, with keen appreciation for the effects of light and shade as well as for pose, he produced excellent work that gained for him a liberal patronage and made his business a profitable venture.

On the 13th of November, 1862, Mr. Greene was married in Davenport to Miss Susan Brown, a daughter of Squire James and Mary (Donley) Brown. Mrs. Greene was born in Pennsylvania and in her infancy was brought to Scott county, Iowa. Her father first came to this county in the fall of 1844 and the mother brought their children the following spring to the new home which he had prepared. Mr. Brown rented a farm on Duck Creek, which he occupied for two years and then purchased an adjoining tract of land of one hundred and sixty acres, where he made his home for some time. Eventually he sold that property, however, and removed nearer Davenport, where he bought another farm, residing thereon until the death of his wife about 1882. He then retired from active life and took up his abode in the city. He was not only a prominent agriculturist but also took an active part in public affairs, serving as justice of the peace of Pleasant Valley township for a long period, during which time his fair and impartial decisions won him high encomiums. He was also school director and held other offices in the township. He gave his political support to the democracy and his allegiance to the Catholic church, in the faith of which he died in 1893 at the age of eighty-six years. His wife had passed away at the age of seventy-four years.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Greene were born eight children: Carrie, who is a Sister of Mercy in the Mercy Convent at St. Louis; Josephine, who is the wife of W. A. Craft, of Johnstown, Pennsylvania, and has two children, Dora and Gertrude; Agnes, Pius and Lourde, all now deceased; Mattie, the wife of James Shelby, of Davenport, and the mother of eight children: - Harold, Hugh, Hildegard, Jerome, Lourde, Barthela, Monica and Regina; Gertrude, the wife of Albert Osterman, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; and Isaac, at home. Mr. Greene has belonged to a large number of fraternal orders but is not affiliated with any at the present time. He is a prominent member of the Catholic church and his life has been in harmony with the teachings thereof. For eighty-four years he has traveled life's journey, faithfully performing the duties that each day has brought, and his trustworthiness, his energy and his reliablity have gained him the high and favorable regard of all with whom he has been associated.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


August Haase

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

The Haase family is one of the oldest in Davenport and August Haase, a native of Hanover, Germany, was the eldest of the name to settle in the town which was the beginning of the present thriving city on the Mississippi. He was born in 1816 and received his education in Germany, where he learned his trade, that of a miller. In middle life he was seized with the desire to try his fortunes in the wonderful America, about which so many of his associates were speculating. Upon arriving here he first took up his residence in Wisconsin but later came to Davenport, making the journey in a unique and primitive fashion, by building a flatboat and floating down the Mississippi river, reaching Davenport in the spring of 1869. In course of time he establsihed himself in a profitable business, opening a restaurant with a saloon and billiard hall in connection. He had a family of six children, of whom Carl, the eldest, was lost at sea in 1875. The others were Agnes, Clara, Gustav, and William and Sophia, twins.

Gustav Haase was born in Germany and had already received his education when his father brought the family to America. For a time he gave his assistance to his father and then went into the wholesale liquor business on his own account. After the tragic death of his brother Carl, who had had an interest in the firm, the younger brother William became a partner. William had previously been in the dry-goods business. The brothers were but twenty-three and twenty-one years of age at that time, the youngest wholesale liquor dealers in Iowa. Gustav was married March 30, 1879, to Miss Lea Tanner, and William, March 24, 1880, wedded Miss Agnes Clug, two children, Inez and Claire, having been born of their union. Both brothers are Lutheran in their religious conviction and both hold membership in the Turners Society.

Carl Frederick Haase was born in Germany, in which country he received his education and spent his earlier years. Upon coming to America he assisted his father and engaged in various pursuits, finally entering into partnership with his brother Gustav in the wholesale liquor business. His wife was before her marriage Miss Augusta Albers and they were the parents of two chidren. In making a trip to Germany in May, 1875, in company with his wife and children, their steamer, the Schiller, was lost off the English coast, and they, together with a number of other Davenport people, met their death. Mr. Haase's body was recovered and buried on an island near the scene of the disaster.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Franz Hagemann

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

For more than forty-two years Franz Hagemann was continuously in the employ of the Rock Island Railroad Company. He then retired from that business but as indolence and idleness are utterly foreign to his nature, he could not be content without some business duties and is now connected with a bakery and confectionery establishment. He has a very extensive acquaintance among railroad men here and his faithfulness, reliability and freedom from ostentation have ever won for him the respect and good will of those with whom he has been associated. He was born in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, January 28, 1840, and is a son of Cort and Margaret Hagemann, who spent their entire lives in that country, where the father conducted farming on a small scale. Franz Hagemann attended school in Germany and there learned the carpenter's trade. He came to the United States in 1867, landing at New York. The favorable reports which he heard concerning business opportunities in America proved irresistibly attractive to him and with the desire of benefiting his fanancial condition on this side of the Atlantic he sailed for the United States. He did not tarry on the eastern coast, however, but at once made his way into the interior of the country, arriving at Davenport on the 14th of May, 1867, accompanied by his wife and one child. He had two brothers here-Hans, who is now living in California, and Hermann, who is now deceased.

After reaching Davenport Mr. Hagemann was employed for two weeks at his trade and on the 28th of June, 1867, he entered the employ of the Rock Island Railroad Company as a carpenter in connection with the building of freight cars. He was employed in that way for about three years after which he was transferred to the passenger coach department and on the 1st of April, 1883, he was promoted to the position of foreman of that department and so continued for more than twenty-six years, or until the 31st of December, 1909, when he retired. In recognition of his long and faithful service the company gave him a pension. He only worked two places in fifty-four years, being in the service of one employer in Germany for twelve years and through practically his entire residence in Davneport being in the employ of the Rock Island Railroad Company. On his retirement he was presented with a fine gold watch, chain and locket by his fellow workmen. He is now engaged in the bakery and confectionery business and has already made a good start in that line. When he entered the employ of the railroad the line was then being built west to Council Bluffs and was finished about as far as Des Moines. Its president at the time was Mr. Tracey, with Hugh Riddle as vice president, while A. Kimball was superintendent and Tom Twombley acted as master mechanic at this place.

On the 6th of October, 1865, Mr. Hagemann was married to Miss Johanna Peters, a daughter of Peter Peters, who died in Germany. They have become parents of nine children: Amelia, who is the wife of Louis Schwenke, of Davenport, and has six children-Ernest, Luella, Lillian, Edna, Walter and Lewis: Mrs. Clara Martin, a widow who has two children, Florence and Loretta; C. A., of Davenport, who married Ella Stramp and has two daughters, Norma and Mildred; Lewis, of Davenport, who married Meta Jeske and has two children, Ruby and Vera; Harry, of Davenport, who wedded Minnie Munike; and four who died in childhood.

Mr. Hagemann is a member of the Claus Groth Gilde and Germania Kranken Verein. He is a very active man and appears at least ten years younger than his age. Being of a cheerful and friendly disposition, he is well liked by all who come in contact with him. Few men have more intimate knowledge of the early history of the Rock Island railroad and he can relate many interesting incidents concerning the happenings of that period. He has never regretted his determination to seek a home in this country, for he here found good business opportunities. He was not misled by any hope of winning success without earnest and continuous effort but by reason of his diligence and fidelity he worked his way upward and whatever success he has enjoyed has been richly merited.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


John H.J. Hamann

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

John H. J. Hamann, who has lived retired in Davenport since 1896, was formerly actively and successfully identified with agricultural interests and is still the owner of a fine farm on one hundred and sixty acres in Sheridan township. His birth occurred in Schleswig, Germany, on the 5th of October, 1824, his parents being Hans D. and Ida E. Hamann, who spent their entire lives in the fatherland. He acquired his education in the schools of his native land and after putting aside his text-books began farming in association with his father. During the Schleswig-Holstein wars, from 1848 until 1850, he served as a teamster. In 1857, when a young man of thirty-three years, he determined to establish his home in the new world and set sail for the United States, landing at New York. His brother, Hans Hamann, who had emigrated to this country about 1848, was living in Davenport and this fact induced our subject to come direct to Iowa. He immediately went to work for his brother on a farm in Davenport township and for a time was busily employed as a farm hand, being engaged in threshing, etc. Subsequently he rented a tract of land in Davenport township from his brother, making his home thereon for six years, while during the following eleven years he devoted his time and energies to the cultivation of a rented farm in Sheridan township. On the expiration of that period he had accumulated sufficient capital to enable him to buy land of his own and in 1875 he came into possession of an adjoining farm of 160 acres, taking up his abode thereon. As there were only a few improvements on the property, he erected a house, barns, etc., and soon the place was lacking in none of the equipments and conveniences of a model farm of the twentieth century. He won a gratifying measure of success in the conduct of his agricultural interests and was actively engaged in the work of the fields until 1896, when he removed to Davenport, where he has since lived retired. For about fifteen years he served as one of the trustees of the Farmers' Insurance Company.

On the 17th of April, 1857, just prior to his emigration to America, Mr. Hamann was united in marriage to Miss Louisa H. Grimm, who was born on the 22d of January, 1828, her parents being Hans and Carolina A. Grimm. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Hamann were born seven children. John A., residing in Davenport, wedded Miss Carolina Wors, by whom he has a daughter, Hilda. Lewis C., who makes his home in Lyon county, married Miss Lena Roheff and has four children: Clara, Grover, Herbert and Ella. Alvina C., who gave her hand in marriage to Hugo Kuehl, of Eldridge, is now the mother of four children: Emil, Hugo, Adelia and Alma. Adelia wedded Otto Dehn, of Lyon county, and also has four children, namely: Lewis, Mello, Herbert and Alma. Henry, who resides on the old homestead farm in Sheridan township, married Miss Anna Hintz, by whom he has six children - Alma, Cynthia, Elva, Maletto, Cora and Blanche. Louisa and Meta Hamann have both passed away.

Since becoming a naturalized American citizen Mr. Hamann has given his political allegiance to the republican party and his fellow townsmen, recognizing his worth and ability, have called him to several positions of public trust, including those of school director and road supervisor. He has long been a prominent member of the German Pioneers' association of Scott county and has recently covers more than a half century and he is widely recognized as one of its most respected and venerable citizens, having now passed the eighty-fifth milestone on life's journey. He is numbered among those who left the fatherland to identify themselves with American life and institutions, who have pushed their way to the front and who are a credit alike to the land of their birth and that of their adoption.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


John Heinz

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Allegiance to a high standard of commercial ethics and intelligent appreciation for and improvement of opportunity have gained for John Heinz a creditable position in the ranks of Davenport's leading business men. Born in this city on the 19th of March, 1860, he is a son of Bonaventura and Margeretha (Trenkenshuh) Heinz, the former a native of Baden, Germany, and the latter of Bavaria. The father came to the United States in 1845 and took up his abode in St. Louis. Soon afterward he enlisted for service in the Mexican war and following the close of hostilities returned to St. Louis, where he remained until 1855, when he made his way up the river to Davenport on the Golden Era. From that time until he retired, at an advanced age, he was connected with river transportation and was also wharf master for a number of years. He was likewise active in public affairs and was influential among all classes. He came to be known as a man whose word could be implicity relied upon and his keen insight made his judgment such as awakened public confidence. His death occurred in 1901, when he had reached the age of seventy-two years. In St. Louis he married Margeretha Trenkenshuh and their children were: Fred; Carrie, who died in 1901 as the result of an operation; Henry, who is now the publisher of the Muscatine (Iowa) Journal; and John, of this review.

The last named was a public school student and then became associated in various lines of business with his brother Fred. In 1885 he was appointed United States gauger, which office he still fills, twenty-five years' service in this capacity standing as incontrovertible proof of his trustworthiness and ability. He has embraced his opportunities for the attainment of success through active connection with various business concerns and is now a director of the Farmers & Mechanics Bank, a member of the firm of L. M. Fisher, and also is successfully engaged in the loan business. Whatever he undertakes he carries forward to successful completion, brooking no obstacles that can be overcome by determined purpose.

In June, 1886, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Heinz and Miss Emma Kruse, a native of Davenport and a daughter of John Kruse, who was well known in the transfer business here. Their two children, Cora I. and Grace C., are yet at home. Mr. Heinz belongs to the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and to the Knights of Pythias fraternity and is a trustee of the Davenport Turnverein. He was also one of the firemen of this city in the old days of the volunteer department and is a popular and well known member of the Veteran Volunteer Firemen's Association, the Schuetzen Verein, the Davenport Boat Club and the Pastime Club. At all times he has stood for progressive methods in municipal affairs, manifesting a deep interest in those projects which are a matter of civic virtue and civic pride.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Clarence C. Hetzel

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

This is preeminently an age of specialization. Comparatively few men in any profession attempt to cover the entire field of practice but give their attention to a particular line, thus gaining skill and ability therein that could not be acquired if time and energy had to be divided with other interests. Dr. Hetzel has in his practice made a specialty of diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat and his broad study and comprehensive understanding have gained for him a skill that is the source of the large practice that is accorded him. He was born in Avoca, Iowa, May 10, 1877. His father, Fred G. Hetzel, was a native of Wheeling, West Virginia, born June 10, 1846. When a boy he came to Davenport with his father, Charles Hetzel, who engaged in farming on Telegraph road, about six miles from the city, and there reared his family. He brought his farm into a good state of cultivation, erected thereon a substantial residence and became one of the prosperous and respected citizens of the community. It was on the old homestead there that Fred G. Hetzel was reared and after attaining his majority he turned his attention to the grain business. In 1871 he removed to Avoca, where he established a hardware store and has since remained a successful merchant in that place. He married Miss Belle Boyd, who was born at Wilton, Iowa, October 30, 1854, and their family numbers five children, three daughters and two sons.

Clarence C. Hetzel, the second in order of birth, pursued his education through successive grades in the Avoca schools until he was graduated from the high school in 1895, while later he entered the Iowa State University and completed the medical course by graduation with the class of 1903. He has further qualified for his chosen profession by study in the polyclinic and in Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He was also for one year in the hospital at Iowa City, where he added to his theoretical knowledge the board and valuable experience of hospital practice. He established his office in Davenport in 1904 and makes a specialty of diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat. In that department he is thoroughly qualified and his reading upon the subject has been extensive, bringing him broad and thorough knowledge. He is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, Otology and Laryngology. He also belongs to the County, State and District Medical Societies.

Dr. Hetzel was married July 27, 1907, to Miss Alta S. Smith, a native of Harlan, Iowa. He belongs to the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and in all social relations manifests a genial spirit and unfeigned cordiality. In his practice he holds to a high standard of professional ethics and therefore enjoys the respect of his brethren of the medical fraternity as well as of the general public.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


H.J. High

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Business enterprise finds a worthy exponent in H. J. High, the president of the Dr. Dicks Malted Stock Food Company, and a member of the Tri-City Mill & Feed Company. In the conduct of business affairs he manifests much of the spirit of the initiative, seeking out new plans for the conduct of business interests and meeting success through that close application which is undeterred by any obstacles or difficulties that may arise. He is equally well known as a local political leader and in various offices has proven his loyalty to those things which are a matter of civic virtue and civic pride.

Mr. High was born in Davenport, July 10, 1864, and is a son of James L. and Sarah (Bowling) High. The mother was a daughter of the late Mayor James M. Bowling, who was one of Davenport's most prominent and honored citizens. James L. High engaged in the livery business in Davenport, establishing a barn at No. 114 Harrison street in 1854. For a long period he continued in that department of business but his life's labors were ended in death in October, 1876.

After benefiting by the instruction afforded in the public schools H. J. High attended Griswold College and his advanced course there well supplemented him for life's practical and responsible duties. He has made good use of his time, his talents and his opportunities since starting in business life and in 1905 he was one of the organizers of Dr. Dick's Malted stock Food Company, of which he is now the president. This company is engaged in the manufacture of stock food which finds a ready sale on the market, its excellence insuring a liberal patronage. As its chief executive officer, Mr. High displays good business ability and keen foresight, which enables him to formulate business plans and policies in such a manner that substantial results are achieved. Moreover, he is a member of the Tri-City Mill & Feed Company and is taking an active interest in the development and expansion of the business.

In September, 1892, Mr. High was married to Miss Marie Arnould, a daughter of Lewis and Cotilde (Huot) Arnould, both of whom are still living. Her father was one of the early contractors of the city and many substantial structures of Davenport still stand as monuments to his skill and handiwork.

Mr. High takes a very active interest in politics and is well versed on the leading questions and issues of the day. He has always given his support to the republican party, has served as committeeman from his ward for a number of years and is recognized as one of the local party leaders. On various occasions he was called to public office, the duties of which he has discharged with promptness and fidelity. He was appointed census enumerator in his ward, was city health officer for four and a half years, was bailiff of the district court for two and a half years and is now city milk inspector, while for thirteen years he has occupied this position in connection with the state service. He regards a public office as a public trust-and no trust reposed in H. J. High has ever been betrayed in the slightest degree.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Hugo Hoffbauer

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

One of the prominent business men of the town of Buffalo, who despite the fact that his many years would entitle him to a well deserved rest has not ceased to give his best efforts to the mercantile business in which he is engaged is Hugo Hoffbauer. He was born in Auleben, Germany, March 3, 1836, and is a son of Frederic and Mathilda T. (Schneidewind) Hoffbauer. The former was a native of Copenhagen, Denmark, where his birth occurred November 10, 1821, while the latter was born in Prussia, Germany, in the year 1827. The couple were married in the old country which remained their home until 1848, when Mr. Hoffbauer, Sr., decided to try the opportunities said to abound in America. Accordingly they crossed the Atlantic, landed in New York, August 3, 1848, and then made their way west to Watertown, Wisconsin. There for two years the father followed farming, at the end of that period going to Janesville, Wisconsin, where he built a house-boat, on which the family floated down the Rock river to Rock Island, which they reached November 4, 1852. For the next two years, while living in this waterhouse, Hugo Hoffbauer found employment which changed the mode of life of the family, for a storm arising in the river, the house-boat was carried across to the Iowa shore. As the country appeared inviting they determined to remain here, forthwith procuring a tract of land in Scott county which they cultivated profitably for a number of years.

Hugo Hoffbauer was twelve years of age when his parents came to America and had consequently received his education in the land of his birth. He accompanied them from Watertown to Janesville, Wisconsin, and then assisted in the construction of the house-boat. Finally, when they took up their residence in Scott county, he did his full share in the cultivation of the farm. His life was interrupted by the inauguration of the Civil war, for like many young men of ambition Mr. Hoffbauer was very anxious to offer his services in the support of the Union and at the same time win distinction on the field of battle. Therefore he enlisted in the Fourteenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, August 17, 1862, holding the commission of lieutenant. After a little more than two years' service he was appointed to a captaincy, November 17, 1864, in charge of a battalion. The following spring, when an assassin's hand had deprived the nation of its president, he and his men were appointed to guard Lincoln's remains as they lay in state in the capitol at Springfield, Illinois. The memories of those days are perhaps the most vivid of any in Mr. Hoffbauer's life; surely they have a distinction which can never be shared by any others. The solemnity of the occasion, the dignity of the man who virtually sacrificed himself for what he believed to be right and then the soldier's associations, the reminiscences of the field of struggle, all these things combined to leave an impression indelible and unequaled by any other.

When the war was brought to a close and Mr. Hoffbauer received his honorable discharge from the army, he returned to Scott county to continue in the occupation which had been so rudely interrupted. In 1885 he reliquished active farming and removed to Buffalo, where he engaged in the brewing business. In a few years, however, he decided to make another change so bought the mercantile establishment which he now conducts.

It was in 1859 that Mr. Hoffbauer wedded Miss Virginia Meyers, a daughter of Jacob Meyers, of Buffalo township. Ten children were born of this union, but only three are now living: Max, who married Miss Bessie Moorhead and is now residing in Buffalo; Lewis, who wedded Miss Ella Mayhaus and is carrying on a bottling works and ice business in Buffalo; and Lula, the wife of Lewis Reinbrecht of Scott county.

In his early manhood Mr. Hoffbauer gave his political support to the republican party but in 1872 decided the principles of the democracy were in more accord with his own views. Since that time he has steadfastly supported its candidates. While he was a resident of the country, he held all of the township offices within the gift of the people. Since he has lived n Buffalo he has been equally conspicuous in public affairs, for during a period of twenty years he was mayor of the village, is at present a justice of the peace, and while Grover Cleveland was president he served as postmaster. His discharge of the trusts imposed upon him has always been marked with devotion to duty, carefulness and efficiency, so that there has been little occasion for dissatisfaction with his administration, while approbation is the general feeling. He was baptized in the Lutheran faith but at present is not affiliated with any church but is associated with several fraternal and social organizations, being a member of Banner Lodge, No. 16, K. P., of the local G. A. R. post, of the Turners and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. The friends he has made among his brothers in these societies are unanimous in according him the respect and good will which he deserves.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Adolph W. Holland

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Adolph W. Holland, a retired agriculturist of Davenport, where he has made his home for the past seven years, is still the owner of a well-improved and valuable farm of one hundred and fifty-five acres in Winfield township and also has ten acres of land in Allens Grove township, as well as some town property. His birth occurred in Meckleburg-Schwerin, Germany, on the 28th of August, 1842, his parents being Adolph and Carolina Holland. The father was a furniture maker in that country. Having determined to bring his family to the new world, he took passage on a vessel at Hamburg, which reached New York on the 3d of August, 1851, after an ocean voyage of seven weeks. It was on the 20th of that month that he arrived in Scott county, Iowa, and here he purchased and located upon a partly improved farm of one hundred and fifty-five acres in Winfield township, being actively engaged in its further cultivation and development until the time of his retirement in 1882. His remaining days were spent in Davenport, where he passed away on the 29th of October, 1888, when seventy-eight years of age. His wife, whose birth occurred in 1818, was called to her final rest in 1874. Unto this worthy couple were born two children, namely: Henry, who passed away in 1903; and Adolph W., of this review.

The last named attended the schools of his native land until nine years of age and after coming to this country continued his studies in Scott county for a year and a half. After putting aside his text-books he turned his attention to general agricultural pursuits and the work of the fields claimed his attention throughout his entire business career. Subsequent to his marriage he rented his father's place there carried on his farming interests continuously and successfully until 1903, when he retired and took up his abode in Davenport. As the years passed he placed many substantial improvements on the farm and it is now a highly developed and valuable property, comprising one hundred and fifty-five acres of land in Winfield township. His is likewise the owner of a tract of ten acres in Allens Grove township and also has some town property. Through the careful conduct of his agricultural interests he won the competence that now enables him to live retired and he has long been numbered among the substantial, respected and representative citizens of this county.

On the 25th of February, 1868, Mr. Holland was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Helkenn, who was born in Holstein, Germany, on the 6th of September, 1849, her parents being Henry and Magdalene (Rush) Helkenn. The father, who served in the Schleswig-Holstein wars from 1848 until 1850, brought his family to the United States in 1858 and at once came to Scott county, Iowa. Two years later he purchased a farm of two hundred acres in Sheridan township and forty acres of timber land in Winfield township and throughout the remainder of his life devoted his energies to agricultural pursuits. His demise occurred on the 9th of September, 1909, when he had attained the venerable age of eighty-eight years and ten days. His wife, who was a sister of Lieutenant Governor Rush of Iowa, passed away in 1892 when sixty-eight years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Holland are the parents of twelve children.

Carolina, who gave her hand in marriage to Henry Rheimers, of Long Grove, is now the mother of eight children, namely: Effie, Louisa, Rudolph, Rosie, Henry, Laura, Adolph and Harry. Ella, residing in Davenport, is the wife of Henry Reichter, by whom she has four children, as follows: Rosie, who is the wife of Oliver Sampson and has one child, William; Margaret; Henry; and Adolph. Adolph, who wedded Miss Clara Nutting, makes his home in Davenport, Iowa. Amelia is the wife of Claus Hanson, of Long Grove, and has four children: Adolph, Edna, Nonie and Lester. Laura, who is the wife of Henry F. Dorman, of Big Rock, Scott county, likewise has four children, as follows: Emma, Martha, Albert and Charley. Augusta, the wife of Fritz Hanson, resides in Winfield township. Emma is the wife of John Erps, with whom she lives on her father's farm in Winfield township. Frank W., Louis F., Nettie M., Lillie J. and Martha M. Holland are all still under the parental roof. All of these children have been provided with good educational advantages. Mrs. Holland has an interesting photograph showing five generations of her father's family.

Mr. Holland is independent in his political views and has served as the efficient incumbent in various positions of public trust and responsibility. He held most of the township offices and did much to advance the cause of education during his thirty-three years' service as a school director. He likewise acted as treasurer of the school board and also capably discharged the duties devolving upon him as justice of the peace and township clerk. His religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Lutheran church, with which his wife is also affiliated. Fraternally he is identified with the Ancient Order of United Workmen, being receiver of the local lodge. He is likewise a prominent member of the German Pioneer association. He has now made his home in Scott county for more than fifty-eight years and has gained an extensive circle of friends within its borders, his genuine personal worth commending him to the confidence and esteem of all with whom he has come in contact.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Mrs. Ida Horst

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Mr. Ida Horst, who has made her home in the city of Davenport for the past two decades, is the widow of Claus Horst, who carried on farming and stock-raising in Davenport township and was quite an extensive landowner. Mr. Horst was born in Holstein, Germany, on the 30th of December, 1819, his parents being Hans and Margaret (Goetch) Horst, who spent their entire lives in the fatherland. He obtained his education in the schools of his native land and continued to reside there until 1847, when as a young man of twenty-eight he crossed the Atlantic to the United States, landing at New Orleans in November. He made his way as far up the river as St. Louis and there worked on a dairy farm during the winter, having gained a thorough knowledge of dairying in Germany. In the spring, when the ice in the river had melted, he came to Davenport, Iowa, and here worked at various occupations for a time. In 1850 he purchased eighty acres of prairie land in Davenport township, which he broke and on which he erected a dwelling, taking up his abode therein. That farm remained his place of residence throughout the remainder of his life but as time passed by and his financial resources increased, owing to his well directed industry and capable management, he added to his holdings by additional purchase until at his death he was the owner of five hundred and sixty acres of valuable land in Scott county and also had a farm in Lucas county, this state. In addition to cultivating the cereals best adapted to soil and climate he was also engaged in the raising of cattle, which branch of his business added materially to his income.

On the 17th of May, 1850, Mr. Horst was united in marriage to Miss Ida Hahn, whose birth occurred in Holstein, Germany, on the 20th of February, 1828, her parents being Johann and Margaret (Boege) Hahn. She was still young when her father died and her mother afterward married again. In 1847 the family emigrated to America, landing at New Orleans, whence they went to St. Louis and then came to Davenport, arriving in this city on the 21st of June of that year. Mrs. Horst went to live with an English family and thus learned to talk and read the language. By her marriage she became the mother of seven children, the record of whom is as follows: Louisa, residing in Davenport, is the widow of Herman Voss and has one son, Bernhardt. Adolph, who makes his home in Sheridan township, wedded Miss Alvina Misfeldt and has four children: Viola, Edna, Albert and Bennie. Therese, who now lives with her mother, is the widow of Henry Horst, whose demise occurred on the 2d of April, 1905. Edward, living in Sheridan township, married Miss Katherine Kahler, by whom he has five children: Herman, Hugo, Emil, Sadie and Elsie. Henry H., who resides in Davenport township, married Miss Amelia Sueverkrubbe and has five children, namely: Martha; Malinda, who is deceased; Herbert; Alfred; and Alma. One child of Claus and Ida (Hahn) Horst died in infancy. Henry was accidentally killed when but thirteen years of age.

Mr. Horst was independent in his political views and held several positions of public trust in Davenport township, including that of rad supervisor. His demise, which occurred on the 24th of May, 1881, was the occasion of deep and widespread regret, for he had gained many warm friends during the long period of his residence in this county. His widow continued to reside on the farm until 1889, since which time she has made her home in Davenport. She is widely known in Scott county, where she has now lived for more than six decades and throughout this entire period she has enjoyed the respect and esteem of those with whom she has come in contact.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Peter N. Jacobsen

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Few among the older German settlers of Davenport enjoy a larger number of friends and a more universal respect than does Peter N. Jacobsen, who, after a life of diligence and well repaid toil, is living in retirement at 1823 Division street. He was born in Eckernfoerder, Germany, March 24, 1833, a son of Claus and Dorothy (Miller) Jacobsen. His paternal grandfather, Peter Jacobsen, was one of the very wealthy and prominent men in his section of Germany and served in the war with Russia. He married Miss Anna Maria Jochensen from Kollebig, Germany. Claus Jacobsen, a miller by trade, never left the land of his birth. He was the father of thirteen children, of whom Peter N. is the eldest and the only one who came to this country besides his youngest sister. There is but one other survivor of this large family, a daughter, living in Germany.

Peter N. Jacobsen received all of his education in the land of his birth, for he attended a private school near his home. In early life he learned the miller's trade, later becoming an overseer who traveled through the country superintending factories for different concerns. He went to Schube, Germany, where he remained for a time; from there to Pretsch; thence to Oldenburg, and then to Wohedurst. He removed finally to Copenhagen, Denmark, where he remained until he returned home to enter the German army. After his period of service, in 1857, he sailed for America, making his way immediately to Davenport after landing upon our shores. First he worked as a farm hand and then rented land in this county, finally buying eighty acres in Princeton township. His life having been for so long devoted to milling, he shortly afterward took charge of the Rush mill, which he operated and then rented. In 1860 he sold his property and came to Davenport, where he secured a mill, which he conducted for several years. This he also sold and embarked in the saloon business, to which he devoted his attention until his son was old enough to assume its responsibilities. He then retired from active life and has since devoted himself entirely to matters which were calculated to advance the interests of his compatriots in this county.

Mr. Jacobsen has been twice married. In 1857 he wedded Miss Anna Goetz and to them were born seven children: Charley F.; Dora L.; Peter N., deceased; Anna; Peter N., Jr.; Claus; and Henry. Mrs. Jacobsen died in 1885, and subsequently Mr. Jacobsen wedded Mrs. Paulina Heunger. She had a daughter, Anna, who became the wife of one of Mr. Jacobsen's sons.

Mr. Jacobsen has always been very active in the public affairs and has been prominent in the numerous organizations which have been formed by his compatriots for social or beneficent reasons. He belongs to the Northwest Davenport Relief Society, Noto Themp Society and its relief corps, the Davenport Singing Society (Liedertael), the German Relief, the German Pioneer Society, of which he is vice president, the German School Society, and the German and American Alliance.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


John W. Jamison

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

John W. Jamison, residing at No. 1019 Scott street in Davenport, has lived retired for more than two decades and is one of the oldest residents of the city. His birth occurred in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, on the 25th of July, 1822, his parents being Francis and Nancy (Wallace) Jamison, who were natives of Ireland and America respectively. The father was a farmer and miller by occupation. John W. Jamison obtained his education in the schools of his native county and after putting aside his text-books worked with his father on the farm and in the mill. He likewise learned the shoemaker's trade and worked at that occupation in Allegheny county until his removal to Scott county, Iowa, in 1855. After a residence of three months in this county he returned to the Keystone state for his wife and children and on establishing his home in Davenport obtained employment in a mill. Subsequently he entered the service of Dawson & Greggs, a shoe concern, with whom he remained for about five years, on the expiration of which period he opened a shoe factory in association with Mr. Murdock. Several years later they dissolved partnership and for a long time Mr. Jamison remained the sole proprietor of the enterprise. Later he became associated with his son, George W. Jamison, and thus continued an active factor in commercial circles until his retirement from the shoe business in 1877. During the following ten years he was employed in a clerical capacity by the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railway but since severing his connection with that corporation he has lived in honorable retirement.

on the 11th of February, 1845, Mr. Jamison was united in marriage to Miss Rebecca Kelso, who was born in Pennsylvania on the 8th of September, 1816, her parents being George Washington and Nancy (Murdock) Kelso. Her grandfather participated in the Revolutionary war. Mr. and Mrs. Jamison became the parents of six children, the record of whom is as follows: George W., the eldest, is now a resident of St. Louis. At the time of the civil war, when but eighteen years of age, he enlisted for one hundred days' service in the Union army and reenlisted in 1864, becoming a member of Company G, Twentieth Iowa Volunteer Infantry. He participated in a number of hotly contested engagements and when the supremacy of the Union had been established was honorabley discharged. He married Miss Matilda Hartung, by whom he has four children, namely: Lottie, the wife of Edward Owens; Edmund K., a resident of Moline, Illinois, who wedded Miss Emma Barroclough and has one child, Raymond; Archie, who makes his home in St. Louis; and William, who is in the United states navy. Francis Jamison, who lives in Moline, Illinois, wedded Miss Mary Binder and has three children: Ida, who is the wife of George Saum and has three children - Mabel, Margaret and Mary; Minnie, a twin sister of Ida; and Amy, who gave her hand in marriage to Charles Berry and has one child, Beatrice. The other children of Mr. Jamison of this review were: John, who has passed away; Robert, who makes his home in California; Benjamin, who is likewise deceased; and Nancy, at home. Mrs. Rebecca Jamison passed away on the 25th of March, 1907, and her loss was deeply and sincerely mourned by all who knew her.

Mr. Jamison is a stalwart democrat in his political views and held the office of city assessor in 1877. He joined the Masonic fraternity in 1858 and is one of the oldest representatives of the craft here. He belongs to all the branches of the order, has attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite and is past grand treasurer of the grand lodge of Masons. He is likewise past grand chancellor of the Knights of Pythias lodge. For many years he served as superintendent of the Sunday school of the United Presbyterian church and has always been one of its most active and valued members, holding various official positions therein. He assisted in the erection of the first house of worship and was one of the two men who contributed the funds for the seating of the edifice. He is now in the eighty-eight year of his age and is one of the most venerable as well as respected residents of Davenport, which city has remained his home for fifty-five years. His record as a business man and as a private citizen has been so honorable that he has gained the confidence and good will of all with whom he has been brought in contact.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Nicklaus Jansen

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Nicklaus Jansen, who has lived retired in Davenport for the past eight years, won his competence as an agriculturist and is still the owner of a fine farm of one hundred and twenty acres of land in Allens Grove township, where he also has a timber tract comprising seven and a half acres. His birth occurred in Holstein, Germany, on the 4th of May, 1846. In his youthful days he attended the schools of his native land and after putting aside his text-books began learning the carpenter's trade. In 1867, when a young man of twenty-one years, he set sail for the new world and after landing at New York came direct to Davenport, Iowa. Here he began work at the carpenter's trade but in a short time turned his attention to general agricultural pursuits and was employed as a farm hand for about ten years. On expiration of that period he purchased and located upon the farm of one hundred and twenty acres in Allens Grove township which has since remained in his possession. The property was well improved and he made his home thereon for twenty-three years, annually gathering bounteous harvests as a reward for the care and labor which he bestowed upon the fields. He next bought a sixty-acre tract of land in Allens Grove township, on which he resided for two years, at the end of which time he disposed of the place to his son-in-law and took up his abode in Davenport. Here he has lived retired since 1902, enjoying in well earned ease the fruits of his former toil.

On the 13th of February, 1877, Mr. Jansen was united in marriage to Miss Julia Krousa, a native of Holstein, Germany, and a daughter of Henry and Anna (Hensen) Krousa. The father passed away when his daughter Julia was but five years of age and the mother afterward married again, becoming the wife of John Kardell. In 1852 Mrs. Jansen was bought to the United States by her parents, who became early settlers of Davenport. Unto our subject and his wife have been born three children, namely: Alvina, who gave her hand in marriage to Ferd Weisenberg, by whom she has three children - Arnold, Ellis and Orville; Carrie, who married George Thoem, of Davenport, Iowa, and is likewise the mother of three children - Edna, Harry and Leroy; and Celia D., who is still at home. Mr. Jensen has lived in this county for more than four decades and is a well known member of the German Pioneers Association. The hope that led him to leave his native land and seek a home in America has been more than realized. He found the opportunities he sought and through their wise utilization worked his way steadily upward until he gained a place among the substantial and respected citizens of his community.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Jacob Johannsen

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Jacob Johannsen, who in the years of an active business life followed farming but is now living retired in Davenport, has demonstrated in his life record that success is not a matter of genius, as held by some, but is rather the outcome of clear judgment, experience and intelligently directed industry. He was born in Holstein, Germany, February 6, 1836, and is a son of Jacob and Margarethe Johannsen, who spent their entire lives in their native country. The subject of this review attended school in Germany and through the periods of vacation worked on the home farm. The favorable reports which he heard concerning America and its opportunities led him to the belief that no country held out as great inducement, and accordingly he made arrangements to cross the Atlantic. Bidding adieu to home and friends, he landed at New York on the 25th of May, 1857, but did not tarry on the eastern coast. He at once made his way into the interior of the country, arriving in Davenport on the 1st of June. His lack of financial resources made it imperative that he at once seek employment and he began work as a farm hand, spending five years in that way. He was then married and rented land until his industry and economy enabled him to secure capital sufficient to purchase a farm. In 1868 he bought eighty acres in Davenport township, to which he removed. The farm was improved and he at once began its further development and cultivation, making his home thereon until 1880. In the meantime he had added to the place and retained the ownership thereof until 1885, when he sold. He had retired in 1880, however, and in that year took up his abode in Davenport, where he has since lived, enjoying a well earned rest.

On the 17th of March, 1862, Mr. Johannsen was married to Miss Dora Hein, a daughter of Henry and Catherine Hein, who were natives of Germany. Mr. Johannsen is a member of the German Pioneers association. For more than a half century he has lived in this county and has therefore witnessed much of its growth and progress as the work of development has been carried forward by the enterprising and progressive class of people who came here to enjoy the natural advantages offered. Working resolutely and persistently day after day, Jacob Johannsen at length became the possessor of a comfortable competence that now supplies him with all of the comforts and some of the luxuries of life. He has never had occasion to regret his determination to come to the new world, for he found good opportunities here and in their improvement reached a place among the substantial citizens of Scott county.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


William Johnson

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

William Johnson, who is now living retired in Davenport, was for many years identified with the industrial interests of the city as a carpenter. His birth occurred in Ireland on the 23d of November, 1829, his parents being Thomas and Eleanor Johnson. The father, who was a farmer and weaver by occupation, brought his family to the United States in 1849, locating at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he worked as a weaver. Four years later, in 1853, he came to Davenport, Iowa, settling on a tract of thirty acres which he purchased near Walcott. The land was all wild prairie but he set resolutely to work, erected a house, fenced the fields and improved the property. He was not long permitted to enjoy his new home, however, passing away about a year after his arrival in Scott county. The demise of his wife also occurred about the same time.

William Johnson obtained his education in the schools of his native land and was a young man of twenty when he accompanied his parents on their emigration to the new world. While in Philadelphia he worked at the weaver's trade but after coming to this county turned his attention to general agricultural pursuits and was thus engaged for about five years. Subsequently he acted as a colporteur for the Presbyterian church for about five years, on the expiration of which period, in 1866, he was married and took up his abode in Davenport. He then learned the carpenter's trade and worked at that occupation for many years, erecting a number of houses. When at length, owing to his untiring industry and good business ability, he had accumulated a handsome competence he retired from active life and has since enjoyed the fruits of his former toil in well earned ease.

On the 28th of March, 1866, Mr. Johnson was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Steel, who was born in Ireland in 1848, and came to this country about 1865. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson became the parents of five children, the record o whom is as follows: Brice, who is a grocer of Davenport, has been twice married, his first union being with Miss Ruth Hage, by whom he had a daughter, Elizabeth Ruth. For his second wife he chose Miss Rose Lingerfeldt and they had a son who is now deceased. George, living in Davenport, married Miss Elizabeth Blair, by whom he has two children. William R. Johnson is still under the parental roof. Cora follows the profession of school teaching in Davenport. William passed away when about two years of age.

Mr. Johnson of this review has now attained the venerable age of eighty years and has lived within the borders of Scott county for more than a half century. Coming to the United States in early manhood, he found the opportunities which he sought and through their wise utilization won a measure of success that now enables him to spend his declining years in retirement - surrounded by all of the comforts and many of the luxuries that go to make life worth living.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Simon Koch

From" Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Simon Koch, who at the time of his death was the possessor of more business property than almost any other capitalist of Davenport, reached his enviable financial standing through the avenue of indefatigable and honorable business activity, and his life record, therefore, may serve as a splendid example to the ambitious young man who desires to attain success without infringing upon the rights of others. Mr. Koch was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, October 28, 1834, and was in his eighteenth year when he bade adieu to the fatherland and sailed for the United States. He located in Pennsylvania in 1852, retaining his residence in that state for two years, after which he came to Davenport. He made his home in this city for about sixteen years and in that time was married, in 1869, to Miss Elizabeth Harrison, a daughter of Peter Harrison, who came from England to the new world in 1850 with his father, John Harrison, who established the family home in Scott county. The latter was engaged in farming here and continued to occupy the old homestead place until he was called to his final rest. His son, Peter Harrison, in response to the country's call for troops, enlisted for service in an Iowa regiment and did active duty at the front until the close of the war, when he returned to Davenport. 'After a short time, however, he went south to live. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Koch were born six children: Mrs. J. Ryan, Lillian, Matthias, Otto S., William and Frank.

Following their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Koch remained in Davenport until the early'70s, when they removed to Chicago and there Mr. Koch engaged in contract work or the Union Pacific Railroad Company in partnership with the father of P. W. McManus. They were engaged extensively in building bridges and trestles and doing important engineering work. It was through that avenue of business that he gained the monetary influence which he held until his death, his success being evidenced in his extensive investments in real estate, which made him the possessor of more down town property than was held by the great majority of capitalists in this city. He was a man of keen business discernment, seldom, if ever, at fault in a matter of judgment, and his sagacity and enterprise enabled him to win success where others met with failure. He seemed to know just when, where and how to place his invested interests and the rise in realty values consequent on the growth of the city has made his property a constantly increasing source of profit. His political allegiance was given to the democracy and his religious faith was manifest in his membership in the Catholic church. He was generous in his support thereof and was also the patron of many worthy organized charities.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

Return to History Index Page