Scott Co, Iowa - IAGenWeb Project


A.H. Stoltenberg

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

A. H. Stoltenberg, who, free from ostentation and display, is nevertheless by the consensus of public opinion accorded prominence in financial circles of Iowa and has come to be recognized as one of the leading representatives of banking interests in this state, was born in Blue Grass township, this county, on the 14th of September, 1863. His father, Heinrich Stoltenberg, was a native of Holstein, Germany and a shipwright by trade. He sailed between Liverpool and New York for several years before finally taking up his abode in Blue Grass township with the other members of his father's family. Turning his attention to general agricultural pursuits, he became prosperous in his farming operations and was well known as one of the reliable and enterprising citizens of his community. He died April 28th, 1893. His wife who bore the maiden name of Trina Lamp, was a native of Germany and a member of one of the oldest families of this county, represented here since 1846. She survived her husband for several years and passed away December 4, 1899.

Reared on his father's farm, A. H. Stoltenberg pursued his education in the public schools of the county and afterward took charge of the old homestead, which he continued to cultivate for fifteen years, bringing the fields under a high state of development and carrying on his work along the most progressive lines. In 1900 he removed to Davenport and became interested in a number of business ventures. His sound judgment and keen discernment made his cooperation a valued factor in successful management. He is now largely interested in banking, being connected with a number of banks in Davenport as a stockholder. He was one of the organizers of the Lake Park (Iowa) Bank and the State Bank of Harris, Iowa.

Interested as all American citizens should be, in the political situation of the country, he has thoroughly informed himself concerning the questions and issues of the day and gives stalwart support to the republican party. He has no desire for office, but during his absence in California was nominated for the legislature, the party recognizing that he would be a strong cadidate and feeling moreover that his sound business judgment and public-spirited citizenship would constitute important elements in the adoption of wise legislative measures. He served through the thirtieth, thirty-first and thirty-second general assemblies and an extraordinary session of the thirty-second, representing the thirty-fourth district. Each question that came up for settlement received his earnest and thoughful consideration and such is the regard entertained for his political wisdom and sagacity that his support of a measure also secured the endorsement of others. He has held a number of minor offices and yet he is by no means a politician, for his preference is to remain free from entangling alliances with political activity.

In 1886 Mr. Stoltenberg was married to Miss Magdeline Weise, a native of Scott county and a daughter of Peter Weise, one of the old settlers here. They now have one child, Clara. Mr. Stoltenberg is prominent in the Masonic fraternity, having attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite, while he has also crossed the sands of the desert with the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He seeks no notoriety but belongs to that class of solid, subtantial citizens whose genuine worth all recognize. He represents one of the old families of the county, is deeply interested in the welfare of the community and his endorsement of public measures usually secures them other followers.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Claus Stoltenberg

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Investigation into the history of Davenport shows that the native sons of the fatherland have been prominent and conspicuous factors in the business activity and development of the city. The industry and resolute purpose characteristic of the representatives of the Teutonic race have constituted salient features in the commercial progress of the city and prominent as a representative fo this class is Claus Stoltenberg, now president of the Farmers & Mechanics Savings Bank.

He was born April 1, 1831, in Germany, and when sixteen years of age accompanied his father, Hans Stoltenberg, to the United States, the year of emigration being 1847. The mother had previously died in her native land. On reaching American shores the father made his way into the interior of the country, settling in Davenport township, Scott county, Iowa, where he entered land from the government and developed a homestead, on which he reared his family.

Claus Stoltenberg had acquired a good education in his native country and after coming to the United States bent his energies to the development of the home farm. Scott county at that time was largely an unimproved district, in which were many evidences of frontier life. There were no schools in Davenport township at that time and the homes were widely scattered, while much of the land was still unclaimed and uncultivated, but the state was rich in its natural resources and the opportunities afforded made for success when ambition and energy prompted their immediate utilization. Claus Stoltenberg was one of the younger children of his father's family and, like the others, was reared to farm life amid the scenes of a pioneer existence. He and his brothers, Hans and Joachim, turned their attention to farming, each receiving eighty acres. The subject of this review remained upon his father's farm for forty-six years, prospering as time passed and accumulating, as the result of his well directed industry, considerable land and money. He was diligent and persistent and his careful management brought him substantial success. In 1893 he retired from farm work and came to Davenport, where he has since figured in the financial circles of the city. In connection with Fred Heinz and others he organized the Farmers & Mechanics Savings Bank, of which Mr. Heinz became president, while Mr. Stoltenberg accepted the vice presidency and later succeeded Mr. Heinz as president. B. J. Meyer became cashier and the business was instituted upon a safe and paying basis, its conservative methods commending it to the patronage and support of the general public. Mr. Stoltenberg was also connected with the Davenport Malting Company for a number of years.

In 1853 Mr. Stoltenberg was married to Miss Anna Sindt, a native of Germany, who came to Davenport in 1851 with her father, Hans Sindt. Mr. Stoltenberg is very prominent in Masonry, having attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite, his life being a splendid exemplification of the basic principles of the order. His political allegiance has been given to the democracy since age conferred upon his the right of franchise and he served as county supervisor from 1892 until 1895. While he is interested in the political situation of the country, he has concentrated his efforts more largely upon business affairs and has won commendable success. He stands as a splendid type of the German pioneer of worth in citizenship, progressive in thought and action - a man of high character, honored wherever known and most of all where best known.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Henry Stoltenberg

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Among the enterprising, progressive and successful farmers of Cleona township, who have also taken an active and influential part in community affairs, is numered Henry Stoltenberg, one of Scott county's native sons, his birth occurring in Davenport township on the 4th of January, 1856. His parents, Hans and Eliza (Wiese) Stoltenberg, were both natives of Holstein, Germany, the former's birth there occurring on the 20th of September, 1828. The father came to America with his parents when about eighteen years of age, the family home being established in Scott county. Here the grandfather of our subject secured enough land at the purchase price of one dallar and a quarter per acre to give each of his fourteen children a tract of eighty acres. Upon his farm Hans Stoltenberg located and continued to follow the occupation of farming until about twenty-five years ago, when he retired from active business, and has since made his home in Davenport. His business career was one of continuous activity, in which was accorded due recognition of honest labor and that he was successful in his undertaking is indicated by the fact that at the time of his retirement he was the owner of fifteen hundred acres of valuable land, all in Scott county, constituting him one of the extensive property owners of the locality. He has since divided this property among his children.

Soon after his arrival in the new world, in 1853, Hans Stoltenberg was united in marriage in Davenport to Eliza Wiese, who passed away in 1873 at the age of forty-eight years. Later he wedded Elsabel Hass, also a native of Germany, and they traveled life's journey happily together for twenty-nine years, or until her death, which occurred in 1902. In their family were eight children, namely: Minnie, the wife of William H. Petersen, of Central Park; Henry, of this review; William, residing in Western Iowa; Theresa, the wife of Herman D. Moeller, of Worthington, Minnesota; Laura, who passed away at the age of ten years; Louis, of Lake Park, Iowa; Edward, who makes his home in Blue Grass township; and Carlie, the wife of W. F. Mann, of Lake Benton, Minnesota.

Amid the busy activities of rural life Henry Stoltenberg spent the period of his boyhood and youth, attending the district schools in the acquirement of his education, and when not busy with his text-books assisted in the work of the fields. Here he early learned lessons concerning the value of industry, energy and integrity, and these lessons, combined with the thorough and comprehensive practical experience which he recieved, formed an excellent foundation stone upon which to rear a future successful career. He remained with his parents until twenty-one years of age, when, seeking to enter the business world, he took up agricultural pursuits on his own account as a renter upon one of his father's farms. He was thus engaged for three years, at the expiration of which period he took a trip to the Pacific coast, spending two years in sight-seeing in the far west. Returning home he again took up farming on the place which he had previously operated in the capscity of renter and here has continued to make his home to the present time. It is a highly cultivated farm of three hundred and twenty acres, located on sections 35 and 36, Cleona township, and contains two sets of good buildings, one of which is occupied by his son, Rudolph. Mr. Stoltenberg has devoted considerable time to the improvement of this farm, erecting good modern buildings and equipping the place with all of the accessories and conveniences known to facilitating farm labor, so that today it is one of the most highly improved and valuable farms of the township. He carries on general farming and stock raising, and both branches of his business are proving gratifying sources of remuneration. As he has prospered he has been able to add to his real estate holdings and is now the owner of five hundred and twenty-eight acres of land in Dickinson county aside from his home place, which property has been in his possession for the past twelve years and is an additional source of revenue.

It was on the 4th of December, 1883, that Mr. Stoltenberg was united in marriage to Miss Matilda Specht, who was born in Walcott, Scott county, on the 17th of August, 1864, and is a daughter of William and Dorothea (Schapper) Specht. Her father was born in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, on the 11th of August, 1835, and the mother's birth occurred in Hanover, Germany, on the 4th of May, 1841. They were married in Scott county and made their home on a farm near Walcott, where their remaining years were spent, he passing away on the 15th of January, 1885, and she on the 11th of March, 1908. On coming to this county they were both employed on the same farm until their marriage and then located on a rented farm, which Mr. Specht operated until he was able to buy a place. So successful was he in his farming operation that at his death he owned one hundred and sixty acres of land in Cleona township and also a farm of the same size in Blue Grass township. In his family were two children, namely: Louis, of Hartley, Iowa; and Matilda, the wife of our subject. Eight children came to bless the union of Mr. and Mrs. Stoltenberg, namely: Rudolph, carrying on farming on one of his father's farms near the old homestead; Emil, Harry, Lillie and Luella, all at home; Walter, who was born on the 30th of April, 1893, and passed away February 27, 1894; and Mabel and Leona, who are also yet under the parental roof.

Fraternally Mr. Stolenberg holds membership with the Walcott Lodge, No. 312, K. P., while politically he gives stalwart support to the republican party. That he stands high in the regard of the community and enjoys the respect, confidence and trust of his fellow men is indicated in the fact that he has been called to positions of importance and honor, having been elected township assessor of Cleona township in the fall of 1890, occupying that position for seven years. In the fall of 1898 he was elected township clerk, serving in that capacity for two years, while for one term, from 1903 until 1906, he acted a county supervisor. For twenty-two years he was secretary of the Cleona township schools, and for eleven years served as director of district No. 7, the cause of education finding in him a stalwart champion. In every instance he entered upon his official duties with the same spirit of thoroughness and diligence that characterized him in the conduct of his business affairs, and met the responsibilities that rested upon him in his official capacity in a way that not only brought honor to himself but reflected credit upon his constituents. Public-spirited in citizenship, his devotion to the public good has ever remained unquestioned, and Cleona township has profited by his efforts in her behalf and numbers him among her most valued and respected citizens.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


John Stoltenberg

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

John Stoltenberg, chief of the fire department of Davenport and a man of unusual strength of character and purposeful methods, was born here, January 7, 1863, a son of Henry and Mary (Jehring) Stoltenberg, both natives of Germany. The father came to Davenport in the '50s, establishing himself in a butchering business, in which he prospered. However, when his adopted country had need of his services, he enlisted in the Second Iowa Volunteer Infantry and served until honorably discharged. Returning home, he resumed his business and continued to follow the butcher's trade until his death in 1889.

John Stoltenberg was educated in the public schools of the city, after which he was engaged in various lines of business. At one time he worked on a river steamer and again was in the employ of a railroad. On May 22, 1884, he joined the Davenport fire department and rose successively on merit through the various grades of promotion until he was made chief August 15, 1906, to the entire satisfaction of the department and the people of the city generally. Since he joined the department it has been revolutionized. He was one of the sixteen men employed when he entered it, now he has forty-six men under him, and the appliances of today bear but little resemblance to those with which he and his companions were expected to fight fires in those early days. The present equipment of men and appliances is so complete as to make the department the best in this part of the state.

In March, 1890, Mr. Stoltenberg married Meta Ramm, who was born in Davenport, a daughter of John Ramm. They have two daughters: Mary and Hattie. Mr. Stoltenberg belongs to the Woodmen of the World and the Fraternal Order of Eagles. He is a man who understands his work thoroughly, having passed through all of the positions, and, being brave and resourceful, he is the best man that could be found to head the department which conserves the safety of the people of so large a city as Davenport.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Edward Strohbehn

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

The circumstances which surrounded the birth and early environment of Dr. Edward F. Strohbehn have had little to do with the success which he has attained in the medical profession, for he has so used his talents and powers in former years that he has come to be known as one of the foremost physicians and surgeons of eastern Iowa, now practicing in Davenport. Dr. Strohbehn was born in Hamburg, Germany, July 24, 1865, a son of F. William and Louise (Zapf) Strohbehn. The father, who was born in Holstein, Germany, began to learn the shoemaker's trade ere he had completed his education. As was the custom in foreign lands, he served in the Danish army before that province became a part of Germany. After serving for three years he went to Hamburg and, after passing a rigid examination, became a citizen of that place. In 1869 he emigrated with his family to America and, locating in Davenport, continued working at his trade until the time of his death, which occurred May 6, 1890.

Edward F. Strohbehn was a little lad of six and a half years when he was brought by the parents to Davenport, and in the schools of this city he began his education. Ambitious to acquire a higher education than was afforded by the common schools, he sought and found employment with John Berwald, of Davenport, and from his earnings saved the money that enabled him to pursue a course in the Iowa State University. He then engaged in teaching for a time and in this way earned the capital that enabled him to take up the study of medicine in the medical department of the State University. He was graduated in Mercy Hospital of Davenport, while still later he was an assistant in the Iowa State Hospital for the Insane at Mount Pleasant. In the fall of 1891 he went to Vienna, Austria, and there took a post-graduate course in medicine, and subsequent to his return opened an office in Davenport, where he has been successfully practicing to the present time. During the years that have passed he has displayed marked ability and familiarity with the most modern and advanced methods of the medical profession and has a patronage that is most gratifying. In addition to his private practice he is also medical examiner for the Germania Kranken Verein and the Claus Groth Gilde.

On the 13th of November, 1895, Dr. Strohbehn was married to Miss Alice Lynde, a daughter of Edward A. and Ophelia D. Lynde, of Sterling, Massachusetts. Dr. and Mrs. Strohbehn have six children; Louise, Edward L., Mary Ella, Vallie Davis, Elizabeth and Walter William. The Doctor has attained the thirty-second degree in Masonry and belongs to various medical societies. Of studious nature, he is ever seeking to advance his knowledge along the line of his profession and today is recognized as one of the able and successful physicians of the state, and by his labors, his high professional attainments and his sterling characteristics has justified the respect and confidence in which he is held by the medical fraternity and the local public.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Frank X. Beh

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Frank X. Beh, for many years an important factor in agricultural circles, is now living retired, enjoying the quietude that comes of labor well performed. He is a native of Scott county, born in Buffalo, September 18, 1861, a son of Francis X. and Caroline (Heckley) Beh, who were prominent pioneer settlers of Scott county. The father was born in the southern part of Germany in the year 1826 and pursued his studies in the schools of his native country. He also learned the stonecutter's trade and about 1850, with his wife and one child, emigrated to the United States. He made his way to Detroit, Michigan, but after a year there spent took up his abode in Buffalo, Iowa, where he worked at stonecutting and lime burning for a number of years. He cut the stone that was used in the erection of the Catholic church in Buffalo and also in a number of other buildings erected in this village. In 1867 he engaged in farming, having purchased one hundred and twenty acres in Buffalo township, sixty acres of which was improved. He served as justice of the peace, road supervisor and school director in Buffalo township and in many other ways his influence was felt in community interests. He was a prominent member of the Catholic church at Buffalo and gave liberally of both time and means in support of the church. He also kept the records of the church for many years prior to his death, which occurred in 1899. His wife, also a communicant of the Catholic church, donated the bell and our subject and his brother were the first to ring the bell after it was placed in the tower. The mother died in 1904, at the age of seventy-two year. The family record is as follows: Henry R., of Muscatine county; Anna, the wife of Morris Barnick, who also lives in Muscatine county; Joseph, who is engaged in merchandising in Harlan, Shelby county, Iowa; Frank X., of this review; Katherine, the wife of Adolph Strohbehn, who resides on a part of the old homestead farm in Blue Grass township; Charles C., of Dickinson county; Benjamin, of Buffalo township; and Mary, the wife of Harry Schiele, a resident of Muscatine county, this state.

Frank X. Beh, the immediate subject of this review, was reared on the home farm and acquired his preliminary education in the schools of Buffalo and Oak Hill, while later he pursued a course in Ambrose College at Davenport. He then returned home and resumed farming with his father, remaining under the parental roof until his marriage, when he began work on his own account. Eventually he became the owner of land and followed farming for many years. He still owns an interest in hte home farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Buffalo township and also owns residence property in Davenport, where he now lives retired.

Mr. Beh chose as a companion for the journey of life, Miss Alvina Weise, a daughter of Fritz and Christina (Schnack) Weise, who were early settlers of Scott county. The father conducted a livery stable in Davenport for forty years and died in 1899, at the age of sixty-three. The mother is still living and is a communicant of the Protestant church. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Beh, which was celebrated June 25, 1896, has been blessed with six children, Alvin F., Clarence M., Frank B., Leon Beh, Raymond and Eddie, but the last named is deceased.

Mr. Beh, inheriting the sterling characteristics of a long line of German ancestry and endowed by nature with a good constitution, early developed all the attributes which make the successful man. His home at 1419 Marquette street, in Davenport, is a hospitable one and the family take great pleasure in entertaining their many friends

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Stephen P. Bawden

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

The law has become so complex that it would be difficult for any individual to be equally at home in all departments of practice and, while a lawyer may continue in several fields, it is the tendency of the times to concentrate one's energies upon a special branch. This Stephen P. Bawden does in his attention to probate and title deed branches of law and yet he has won success in other fields and may be termed a general practitioner.

Mr. Bawden is one of Davenport's native sons and his parents were Stephen and Mary E. (Woodward) Bawden, the former being of English parentage and the latter a native of Pennsylvania. Their removal to the west and settlement at Davenport made this city the scene of the youthful efforts and activities of S. P. Bawden as well as of his later years. Having acquired his literary education in public schools, he continued his studies in preparation for the bar and after his admission to practice in the courts of the state opened an office in Davenport, where he has since remained. His natural predilection tends him toward probate and similar departments of the law and for five years he devoted almost his entire time to those branches in the office of Davison & Lane. Inclination and opportunity were thus satisfied and his thoroughness and capability in this branch of the profession have won him deserved success. His two most dominant characteristics are determined persistence and thorough and honest exactness. In law and especially in real-estate law these traits are of prime importance and guarantee progress. Mr. Bawden has met with good success because of these qualities and is one of the best known of the younger members of the bar in this field of practice. He enjoys the good fellowship of his brethren of the legal fraternity here and all recognize that his advancement has come as the merited and legitimate reward of his efforts and ability.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Gustave Becker

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Attracted by the business opportunities offered by the new world, Gustave Becker, when a young man of twenty-one, crossed the Atlantic and for more than three decades was well known in business circles in Davenport, where his indefatigable energy and wise investment brought him success that placed him among the most prosperous residents of the city. Mr. Becker was born December 8, 1848, in Silesia, Germany, a son of Karl and Anna Rosina (Wahnelt) Becker. In the family were two sons and four daughters, the brother of our subject being Charles Becker, while the sisters were Mrs. Louis Herald, Mrs. Bertha Gerboth, Mrs. Emily Dittschlag and Mrs. Anna Seiler, of Germany. During the early boyhood of their son Gustave the parents removed to Tschimare, Germany, where he attended school, being recognized as one of the brightest pupils in his class, manifesting special aptitude in his studies. When fourteen years of age he and his brother Charles went to Berlin, where they became connected with mercantile interests, and in 1869, when Gustave Becker was about twenty-one years of age, he and his brother crossed the Atlantic to America, hoping to benefit their financial condition by the opportunities which they heard could be enjoyed in the new world. For a short time they resided in New York and then made their way westward to Detroit, Michigan. Mr. Becker afterward traveled for a number of years for a wholesale wine, liquor and cigar house and was successful in introducing the products of the house upon the market. On the 1st of March, 1876, he arrived in Davenport, where he remained until his demise. He was in business in this city for about thirty-one years and his interests were of a character that contributed in large measure to general progress and improvement as well as to individual success. He was for a time associated with others in the ownership and management of the Grand Opera House, holding a third interest. He also held a similar interest for a time in the Burtis Opera House on the 1st of April, 1891, he purchased the property at the corner of second and Brady streets, which eventually became one of the most valuable corners in the city. He still owned this building at the time of his death and derived therefrom a substantial annual income. At one time he also conducted a high class cafe and delicatessen store but was most widely known because of his invested interests in real estate. In this he displayed keen and discriminating judgment and notable sagacity, making no error of opinion concerning the value of realty and its possible rise.

On the 20th of June, 1872, Mr. Becker was united in marriage to Miss Wilhelmina Ruehle, of Detroit. Her father, John Valentine Ruehle, was a distinguished citizen of Michigan and left the impress of his individuality upon the history of that state as one of its early legislators. Coming to the west, he was closely associated with its pioneer development and drove to Chicago in a two wheeled cart when there were only log houses in that city. His brother, Frederick R. Ruehle, was alderman of Detroit and a prominent factor in its upbuilding. John V. Ruehle acted as water commissioner of the city and was closely associated with many movements, political measures and business projects for the substantial development of the city and state in which he made his home. He had crossed the Atlantic from Baden-Baden, Germany, and was fifty-three days on a sailing vessel ere he reached American shores. He found Indians in Michigan on his arrival there but lived to see a wonderful transformation in the state as the homes of the white settlers replaced the Indian tepees and the work of civilization was carried on by a progressive and enterprising people. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Phoebe Snyder, was a native of Bavaria, Germany. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Becker were born five children, of whom three are living: Oswald, Mrs. Lina Thies and Alice.

Mr. Becker held a prominent position among the German-American residents of Davenport. He was active in support of the German free schools, belonged to the Davenport Turngemeinde and the Schuetzen Verein. He also held membership with the Fraternal Order of Eagles, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Masonic lodge. He was ever strictly reliable in his business dealings, his commercial integrity standing as an unquestioned fact in his life. His success came to him through the judicious improvement of opportunities which others pass by heedlessly and through unremitting energy and perseverance, which are always indispensable factors in success.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


J.W. Bettendorf

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

As some one has expressed it, "To know Davenport is to know Bettendorf." In other words, the name of Bettendorf is inseparably interwoven with the history of the city, its commercial enterprise and business development, through almost a quarter of a century. The student of biography must inevitably reach the conclusion that the mass of men seem content to remain in the position in which they are placed by birth, experience and environment. Laudable ambition, ready adaptability and the capacity for hard work are essential elements of success and in none of these requirements has J. W. Bettendorf been found lacking. It is not a matter of marvel, therefore, that he occupies a prominent position among the real builders of this city and the eminence to which he has attained is due to the fact that he possesses the ability to recognize the opportune moment and to correctly appraise the value of a situation and determine its possible outcome. It is these qualities which have led him, in association with his brother, to enter upon the great work of establishing the mammoth enterprise that is now conducted under the name of the Bettendorf Axle Company, and as secretary, treasurer and manager of the company he is giving his attention to constructive effort and executive ability along lines that have have produced what is uniformly conceded to be the most important industrial concern of this city.

A native of Leavenworth, Kansas, Mr. Bettendorf was born October 10, 1864. His father, M. Bettendorf, a native of Germany, came to America when eighteen years of age, taking up his abode at Mendota, Illinois. He was a school teacher by profession and followed that pursuit in Illinois but subsequent to his removal to Sedalia, Missouri, conducted a grocery business and general store. Later he became a resident of Leavenworth, Kansas, and engaged in clerking for the government at Fort Leavenworth. He is now living retired in the town of Bettendorf, a suburb of Davenport and the location of the extensive works which his sons have developed. He married Catharine Reck, also a native of Germany, and they became parents of a daughter and three sons, but only two of the family are now living, the elder brother being W. P. Bettendorf, presifent of the Bettendorf Axle Company.

J. W. Bettendorf, the third child and second son, was nine years of age when the family left Kansas and became residents of Peru, Illinois, where he remained until he attained his majority. His education was largely acquired in the schools of Peru and when eighteen years of age he secured a situation in the plow works of that place. His initial service was that of a machinist, while later he became foreman of the assembling department. In 1886 he came to Davenport, where in connection with his brother he organized the Bettendorf Metal Wheel Company. For two years he worked as a machinist and then became superintendent of the plant. In 1890 he went to Springfield, Ohio, as manager of the branch of the business at that place, but in the fall of 1893 returned to Davenport and in association with W. P. Bettendorf turned his attention to the manufacture of steel gear wagons. In January, 1895, their interests were incorporated under the name of Bettendorf Axle Company, with J. W. Bettendorf as secretary. Something of the extent and prominence of the business is indicated in a humorous reply recently made to a Davenport man in Pittsburg. When asked where he was from and telling the city of his residence the inquirer said, "Oh, yes, Davenport - that is near Bettendorf, isn't it?" This indicates how widely the town of Bettendorf - and the town is practically the great Bettendorf works - is known. The volume of its business has made the name a familiar one to the iron trade, not only of America but of Europe. J. W. Bettendorf continued to serve as secretary and manager of the company from 1899 until 1906, when he was also elected treasurer.

In 1888 was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Bettendorf and Miss Elizabeth Ohl, a daughter of George and Sibilla Ohl. They have two sons, Edwin J. and William E., aged respectively twenty and seven years. Mr. Bettendorf is one of the charter members of the Elks lodge and is prominent in the social life of the city, while in all those things which pertain to the city's substantial growth and progress he is deeply and actively interested. Many measures which are of strictly impersonal character have received his endorsement and cooperation and the city has been benefited thereby. In this age of marked industry and activity he has made for himself an honored name but it is not his success alone that entitles him to the high regard of his friends. He has never allowed the accumulation of wealth to affect in any way his manner toward those less fortunate, and entrance to his circle of friends is gained by character worth and not by material possessions. His associates know him as a most genial and kindly gentleman and while his business relations have brought him the acquaintance of many men distinguished in commercial circles, he holds as his most priceless treasure the friendship and respect of his fellow townsmen, among whom he has now resided for almost a quarter of a century.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Albert L. Bollinger Biography

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Bollinger, Bauman, Smith, Livermore, Wills, Block, Becker.

In looking over the past history of Davenport with regard for the citizens whose earnest lives contributed in no small measure to raising the standard of manhood in the city, respect must be paid to Albert L. Bollinger, who before his death was one of the well known business men here and also one of those who, as an old soldier, was ever an inspiration to the patriotic young men.
He was born in Lancaster, Peoria county, Illinois, May 14, 1839, a son of Samuel F. and Catherine (Bauman) Bollinger, both natives of Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. In the town of his birth he was reared and received his early education, later attending college at Abingdon, Illinois. In his young manhood he enlisted in the Union army at the beginning of the civil war and throughout the struggle was engaged in active service, although his duties were frequently not upon the scene of battle. He was particularly useful in recruiting, for he had a fine tenor voice and, being able to play several musical instruments, could accompany others or inspirit the troops with the sound of martial music. He had also the power of eloquent speech and on many occasions he fired the patriotism of the soldiers by his noble words in support of the Union cause. For a time he also served as secretary to General Sherman at the latter's headquarters so that, if the bullets but seldom whizzed by hi!
s head and the dangers of engagements were infrequently his, he performed as invaluable a service as those who were not so well endowed with talents and could only prove their devotion to their country through valor in front of danger. He was taken ill after the battle of Perryville and was subsequently taken prisoner but being a non-combatant he was paroled.
At the close of the war Mr. Bollinger went to Lancaster, Pennsylvania, where he learned the finishing part of carriage-making, and then returned to Illinois, opening a carriage factory at Geneseo, which he conducted with success for a number of years. In 1873 he came to Davenport and accepted a position as traveling salesman for the Seig Iron Company, with which he was connected until his death. He advanced rapidly becoming vice president and secretary of the company in 1887, and in November, 1890, was made president, treasurer and business manager, serving as such throughout the remainder of his life. Through steady and unremitting toil he had proved worthy of the highest responsibilities and in guiding the reins of this important business he proved himself a man capable of great things. In the small affairs of life, as in the larger ones, his word was as good as his bond, honor and integrity distinguishing all of his relations in the business world.
On the 18th of June, 1866, Mr. Bollinger was united in marriage to Miss Emily D. Wills, a daughter of James Wills, who lived and died in Canton. Her mother was Miss Charlotte Smith before her marriage and a cousin of Mary Livermore of Vermont. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Bollinger: Judge James W. Bollinger, of Davenport; Mrs. Louis Block; and Mrs. Waldo Becker.
Mr. Bollinger was always a stanch advocate of the principles of the republican party and, while he never aspired to official distinction, he was always interested in questions of national or local importance and was preeminently public-spirited. A man of broad views, he found the tenets of the Unitarian church most in accord with his own ideas of progress and development. Energetic, ambitious, endowed with large ability and the traits of character which command the respect of and admiration of others, he was deeply mourned at the time of his death, September 11, 1901, especially by his family and those who knew him most intimately.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann


Ira Burch

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Though more than two decades have passed since Ira Burch was called to final rest, he is still remembered by many of Scott county's older residents as a prominent agriculturist and extensive landowner as well as a man of genuine personal worth. His birth occurred in Rensselaer county, New York, on the 28th of January, 1819, his parents being James and Aurelia Burch, who were farming people of that county. He obtained his education in the district schools of his home locality and after putting aside his text-books assisted his father in the work of the fields, thus early becoming familiar with the duties and labors that fall to the lot of the agriculturist. About the year 1855 he journeyed westward in company with his wife, locating in Hickory Grove township, Scott county, Iowa, where he purchased some partly improved land. The work of farming claimed his attention throughout his entire business career and as he prospered in his undertakings he added to his landholdings by additional purchase from time to time until he had accumulated considerable property in Scott and other counties. His demise occurred on the 10th of February, 1889, and thus the community lost one of its most substantial, enterprising and respected citizens.

Mr. Burch was married twice. By his first wife, who bore the maiden name of Katherine Deyoe, he had five children, as follows: Esther, the deceased wife of John E. Dempster, by whom she had three children - Emma, Mary and John; LeRoy, who is likewise deceased and who wedded Miss Julia Roberts, by whom he had three children - Nellie, Leslie and Essie; Daniel D., who is a resident of California; and Abbie and Mary, both of whom have passed away. On the 19th of February, 1873, Mr. Burch was again married, his second union being with Miss Cynthia C. Curtis, a native of Rensselaer county, New York. Unto them were born four children, two of whom died in infancy, Robert and Irene. Ira C., who makes his home in Davenport, wedded Miss Laura Klein and has two children, Ira W. and Beatrice C. Hettie May gave her hand in marriage to Edward U. Meyer, of Davenport and is now the mother of three children, namely: Irene C., Robert B. and Shelton E.

Mrs. Burch has won a host of warm friends during the long period of her residence in this county and now resides at No. 744 East Thirteenth street in Davenport.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


W.A. Blair

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Prompted always by the laudable ambition of eventually attaining success, Captain W. A. Blair, as the result of his energy and capability, has gradually advanced in business circles until he is today one of the best known of the river men in the Mississippi valley. He has for a number of years been president of the Carnival City Packet Company. For thirty-two years he has been connected with the shipping and passenger service and has been an interested witness of the changes which have constituted features in the history of shipping on this great natural highway. Few, if any, are more competent to speak authoritatively upon the subject for practically throughout his entire business career Captain Blair has been actively connected with marine interests, conforming his business to changing conditions and utilizing the various opportunities offered for success.

He was born in Galena, Illinois, November 17, 1856. His father, Andrew Blair, a native of Ireland, came to America when fifteen yeas of age and in this country wedded Margaret A. Henry, a native of Baltimore, Maryland, who is now living in Davenport. Captain Blair is the eldest of seven children, four sons and three daughters. His boyhood days were spent in and around Galena and the aptitude which he displayed in the acquirement of an education enabled him, at the age of eighteen years, to secure a teacher's certificate. He then engaged in teaching in and near Princeton, Iowa, following that profession of nine terms. During the last four terms he taught only in the winter months, while the summer seasons were spent on the Mississippi river, and thus he entered the department of labor which was to claim the major portion of his attention throughout the remainder of his active life.

When twernty-one years of age he secured the position of clerk on the towboat Le Claire Belle, of which ex-Governor Van Sant was part owner and manager. He spent four seasons in the employ of Governor Van Sant, by which time he had thoroughly learned the river, so that he was granted a pilot's and master's license to navigate the river between St. Louis and St. Paul. It was at that time that Captain Blair joined Captain Van Sant in a partnership under the name of the Le Claire Navigation Company. This was in 1882. They became actively engaged in towing logs and lumber and at one time operated seven boats, while Mr. Van Sant owned also four other boats independent of the company's interests. Thus together they handled one-fifth of the output of logs at Beef Slough in its palmy days. Their business grew to extensive and profitable proportions, and they were regarded as one of the most reliable, capable and enterprising firms connected with the river interests. The decline of the logging business, due to the exhaustion of the supply of pine, induced Captain Blair to sell his stock in the towboats at a sacrifice.

He then truned his attention to the local packet business and organized the Carnival City Packet Company in 1892, its board of directors consisting of Captain August Reimers, L. M. Fisher, F. W. Smith, M. L. Marks and Captain W. A. Blair. There has been but one change in the board since the organization, that occurring in the winter of 1908, when G. M. Bechtel was elected to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Captain August Reimers. In the intervening years the company has owned and operated nine different boats, plying between Davenport and Burlington, Keokuk and Burlington, and Keokuk and Quincy. They now own and operate the following river craft: the Columbia, Helen Blair, Wenona and Keokuk and the Black Hawk, a new boat. The business has steadily grown, and they now handle about one hundred and twenty-five thousand passengers and fifteen thousand tons of freight annually. They have had two losses by fire but never a mishap resulting in the loss of a single passenger. Captain Blair during the thirty-two years' experience has never had occasion to use a life preserver. He is regarded as one of the most careful and reliable river captains, giving frequent and thorough inspection to his vessels in every department, his long and practical experience enabling him to correctly judge of the worth and substantiality of each part of the boat and also of the value of the services of the men who are in charge.

In 1882 Captain Blair was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Bard, a daughter of Richard and Phebe Bard, of Le Claire, Iowa. They have two sons and a daughter: George W., Gertrude Helen and Burdette.

Captain Blair is a member of the Masonic fraternity in Davenport and has always been much interested in public affairs of the city, giving active and loyal support to every project and movement which he deems of value in upholding civic virtue and civic pride. For more than a half century he has witnessed the growth and progress of this and other cities along the river and has been a factor in the business activity which has promoted the commercial and industrial progress. His chosen life work has brought him a wide acquaintance among leading business men and wherever known he is highly esteemed, winning the respect and admiration of his fellowmen by reason of his fidelity to high and honorable principles.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Andrew W. Bowman

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Col. 1910 Chicago

Dr. Andrew Washington Bowman, who in the years of his connection with the medical fraternity of Davenport was one of the city's most busy, capable, successful and respected practitioners, was born in Andalusia, Rock Island county, Illinois, in January, 1847. His father, Edward H. Bowman, was also a physician and, locating in Rock Island county in 1843, became a prominent representative of the medical fraternity there, enjoying a large and growing practice for many years. He filled the office of circuit clerk of that county and served with distinction as an army surgeon throughout the Civil war. He also spent several years in mining in California following the discovery of gold on the Pacific coast, and for a considerable period was Indian agent in the Indian Territory.

After completing his literary education Dr. Andrew W. Bowman traveled through California and Mexico before deciding upon the calling or profession which he wished to make his life work. When in Mexico an epidemic of smallpox broke out where he was staying and thus he had an opportunity of usuing the knowledge of medicine he had obtained in connection with his father's practice. He treated several hundred cases with success and received numerous inducements to remain, but he had decided to become a physician and follow the profession in the United States, for he did not naturally like the surroundings and environment of a Mexican home. He then entered Ann Arbor for a course in medicine and afterward studied in the Rush Medical College, from which he was graduated with honors in the class of 1878. In 1880 he came to Davenport and almost immedicately was accorded an extensive practice, which grew with the passing years until he was one of the city's most busy and respected physicians. He was very careful in the diagnosis of a case and in the application of remedial agencies. Moreover, he was familiar with the component parts of the human body and every phase of anatomy and his conscientious performance of duty marked an improved epoch in the standard of medical service in this city.

On the 11th of August, 1879, Dr. Bowman was married to Miss Marie Maxwell, a daughter of the late Dr. A. S. Maxwell, a former resident of Davenport. He was a long-time member of the Masonic fraternity, the beneficent principles of which he exemplified in his life, finding ample opportunity to demonstrate his belief in the brotherhood of man. He died July 16, 1906, at the age of fifty-nine years, and a useful career was thus brought to a close. His friendly and courteous spirit and his kindly disposition had made him esteemed by all who knew him and most of all where he was best known.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Arthur Gladstone Bush

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Arthur Gladstone Bush, a member of the law firm of Ely & Bush, has through his varied activities become recognized as one of the leading and influential citizens of Davenport. He was born in Concord, now Garner, Hancock county, Iowa, December 21, 1870. His father, Henry H. Bush, was a native of Randolph, Cattaraugus county, New York, born July 2, 1837. He removed to Galva, Illinois, just prior to the Civil war and after the outbreak of hostilities was mustered in as captain of Company D of the Seventeenth Illinois Infantry, with which he served for three years, taking an active part in the conflict. At the siege of Vicksburg he was detailed in charge of the Pioneer Corps and at Fort Donelson, in the absence of the colonel, he commanded the regiment with credit and ability. He participated in a number of the hotly contested engagements and never faltered in the performance of any duty, his own valor and loyalty inspiring those who served under him. He was mustered out with the rank of captain and with a most creditable military record returned home. Later he studied law in Galva under the direction of A. H. Veeder, an attorney of that city, after which he removed to Concord, Iowa, where he commenced practice in 1869. Until a short time prior to his death he followed his profession and his knowledge of the law and careful preparation of his cases gained him a skill that led to his connection with much of the important litigation tried in the district. During his later years he owned and published the Hancock Signal, which paper he purchased from Senator Hayward. Prominent in the political circles of the state, he represented Hancock county in the general assembly, also filled the offices of referee in bankruptcy, postmaster and mayor of Concord. He was likewise a member of the county board of supervisors and his efforts did much to hold the county seat at Concord, now Garner. Over the record of his official career there fell no shadow of wrong or suspicion of evil, for in all of his public service he was actuated by a spirit of devotion to the general good that was manifest in many tangible ways. Preeminently a man of affairs, he wielded a wide influence in thought and action. He was a man of strong character and ability and a natural leader, and he devoted his efforts untiringly for the benefit of his town and community. He died September 15, 1895, respected and honored by all who knew him. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Minerva Wright, was a native of Illinois.

Arthur Gladstone Bush pursued his education in the public schools of Garner until he completed the high-school course. He then engaged in teaching for a year in Hancock county and at the same time studied shorthand and qualified for the position of a court reporter. For five years he acted as district court reporter and during that time became interested in and took up the study of law. He after ward attended the State University of Iowa and pursued special work in the Garner Academy. He was graduated from the law department of the former institution in 1895 and, coming to Davenprot, formed a partnership with N. D. Ely, who had been his classmate in the university. The court records show that he has had a liberal share of the legal business of the city and that he has been successful in its conduct, winning many verdicts favorable to his clients, to whom his devotion if poverbial. He is a loyal republican but no office seeker, preferring to give his time and energies to his law practice and as a consequence the firm of Ely & Bush is prosperous, with a business that is extensive and of a distinctively representative character. In addition he is a director and secretary of the Iowa & Eastern Colorado Land Company and is likewise interested in a number of financial enterprises.

In August, 1894, Mr. Bush was united in marriage to Miss Eunice Curtis, a native of Clayton county. Her grandfather, T. P. Olmstead, was one of the oldest settlers of the county, arriving there in the early'30s. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Bush have been born two sons, Arthur Curtis and Hollis H. Mr. Bush is a Mason, holding membership in the lodge, chapter and commandery and the Shrine, and in the commandery he is filling the office of generalissimo. He likewise belongs to Prosperity Lodge, No. 704, I. O. O. F., and is a United States commissioner. He is a director of the Young Men's Christian Association of the Edwards Congregational church and a teacher of the Bible class. His interests, therefore, are not confined to the material things but have to do with the moral progress of the community, and his own life is an exemplification of his belief that the thing most worth while is character development. Although comparatively young, he is recognized as a man of mark in Davenport, his ability and well developed powers carrying him into important relations.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


George W. Cable

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

George W. Cable, since 1866 a resident of Davenport and for many years one of the most prominent representatives of the lumber trade in the city, is now practically living retired but still has large investments and commercial interest. He was born in Athens county, Ohio, June 17, 1831, his parents being Hiram and Rachel (Henry) Cable. The father was a native of Jefferson county, New York, and the mother's birth occurred in Washington county, Ohio. The family is of English lineage and was founded in America by James Cable, the grandfather of our subject, who came from England in 1770 and settled in Massachusetts, whence representatives of the name removed to other localities and established other branches of the family. Mrs. Rachel Cable, the mother of George W. Cable, was of Scotch-Irish descent and was a lady of high character, whose influence has been one of the potent forces in the life of her son. Hiram Cable, prominent in public affairs, labored along practical and effective lines for the advancement and improvement of the section of the state in which he lived. Various public enterprises were promoted by him and commercial activity was also stimulated by his efforts through the years in which he was engaged in merchandising in Athens county, Ohio. Later he became one of the projectors of the Piqua & Indiana Railroad, now a branch of the Pennsylvania Central, and was one of the largest contractors in its construction. He also served for nine years as a director of the company. He was one of the founders of the pictureque town of Cable in Champaign county and in many ways left the impress of his individuality for good upon the development and substantial upbuilding of that section of the state. A republican in politics, he represented his district in the state legislature and did not a little toward molding public thought and action. He was a man of strong character, fearless in defense of what he believed to be right and his championship of any measure was an effective force for its accomplishment.

George W. Cable acquired a good English education in the schools of Urbana, Ohio, and commenced business life as a farmer in Champaign county, where he successfully conducted agricultural interests for two years. He then sold out in 1857 and came to Scott county, Iowa, where for nine years he devoted his energies to general agricultural pursuits. In 1866 he came to Davenport and with his father engaged in the coal business and lumber trade. Extending the scope of their activities to include an extensive and up-to-date lumber manufacturing enterprise, George W. Cable has since been actively or financially interested in the business. In 1874 his father retired and was succeeded by John Hornby, under the firm name of Hornby & Cable. This association was maintained until the death of the senior partner in 1879, in which year the business was reorganized under the name of the Cable Lumber Company, with George W. Cable as president. The business grew to mammoth proportions, the Cable Company becoming a power in lumber circles. The enterprise was developed along modern business lines, its ramifying trade interests reaching out to various sections of the country, while the close conformity of the house to a high standard of commercial ethics has made its reputation an unassailable one. By the stimulus of his exertions Mr. Cable aroused the enterprise of others and through this means added to his own efforts, while at the same time he furnished many with remunerative employment. His strict integrity, business conservatism and judgment have always been so universally recognized that he has enjoyed public confidence to an enviable degree and naturally this has brought him such a lucrative patronage that through times of general prosperity and general adversity alike he has witnessed a steady increase in his business until the Cable Lumber Company now controls one of the most important enterprises of this character in the middle west. Now, owing to failing health, Mr. Cable has retired from active work, his interests, however, being carefully guarded and augmented by his son. As the years went by he made other investments of an important character, including some of the milling enterprises, banking and telephone interests. He was likewise a director in several railroads and his cooperation in any project has been taken as proof of its worth because of his business discernment and known reliability.

On the 18th of October, 1854, Mr. Cable was united in marriage to Miss Eliza E. Baldwin, a daughter of Richard Baldwin, of Champaign county, Ohio. Their only son and Mr. Cable's namesake is his worthy successor in business. Active in the Presbyterian church, Mr. Cable practices charity without ostentation and Christianity without cant. His name is unsullied and there is no man who occupies a more enviable position in industrial and financial circles. His rise in the business world has been continuous and has been the legitimate outcome of methods that neither seek nor require disguise.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Return to History Index Page