Scott Co, Iowa - IAGenWeb Project

Frank W Mueller Bio
"From Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Frank W. Mueller, the eldest son of Christian and Elfrieda Mueller, was born in Davenport, October 18, 1863. His boyhood days were spent in his father's home, during which time he attended the public schools of the city, while later he enjoyed the advantage of instruction in the Iowa State University, from which he was graduated. His education complete, he became associated with his father in the lumber business and in order to gain comprehensive knowledge thereof passed through every department, thus fitting himself for his present important position. Since his father's death he has been called to the presidency of the Mueller Lumber Company and is thus in control of one of the most extensive and important lumber concerns not only of Davenport but of the middle west. He is likewise the vice president of the Mueller Land & Timber Company and in business affairs his judgment is regarded as most sound. He is a member of the Turners and the Schuetzen societies and is also well known in Masonic circles.
 
Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer
 

Ed. C. Mueller Bio

"From Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Ed C. Mueller, associated with his brothers in the Mueller Lumber Company, was born January 8, 1865, in this city, and pursued his education through successive grades in the public schools until he undertook the mastery of the brances taught in the high school. He afterward attended the Duncan Business College and when his course was completed, like his brothers, became connected with the father's business. All were thoroughly trained in the various departments of the business and the result is that the enterprise has continued to grow under their management since the father's death. From 1886 until 1907 Ed C. Mueller had charge of the manufacturing interests in the summer and was superintendent of the logging in the winter. He thus gained intimate and comprehensive knowledge of the business in its operative department and since 1907 has looked after the buying for the Mueller Lumber Company, of which he is now the secretary and treasurer. He also has considerable supervision over the interests of the Mueller Land & Timber Company, of which he is the president. The latter company has very large interests in Oregon and the scope of both business enterprises if being gradually extended, while the firm has become widely known throughtout the middle portion of the country and even far into the west.

In 1889 Mr. Mueller was married to Miss Clara Bruhn, a native of Davenport and a daughter of John Bruhn, one of the old residents of the city. They have two children: Walter, born July 5, 1896; and Elinore, born August 19, 1902.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


W.L. Mueller Bio

"From Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Donner - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

W. L. Mueller was born February 21, 1867, and is a son of Christian Mueller, of whom extended mention is made elsewhere in this volume. The public schools afforded him his early educational privileges and he afterward attended Griswold College. He then became connected with the lumber business which was founded and conducted by his father, spending the first year on the river and in keeping books. Like his brothers, he passed through every department of the business in order that he might thoroughly acquaint himself with the trade, not only in the management of the financial interests but also in the value of lumber. It was in 1895 that he was admitted to a partnership and since the death of the father the business has been carried on by the sons, W. L. Mueller being now the vice president of the Mueller Lumber company. He gives his undivided time and attention to the management and development of the business and his efforts have constituted an important factor in its expansion and substantial growth.

In 1893 Mr. Mueller was married to Miss Bernhardine Lennhuis, a native of Davenport and a daughter of Bernhard Lennhuis, one of the old settlers of Scott county. They now have two children, Ben and Annie. Mr. Mueller belongs to the Turners and other societies, in which his social qualities and generous spirit have rendered him popular.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Bio of Alfred Christian Mueller

"From Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co 1910 Chicago

Fortunate is the man who has back of him an ancestry honorable and distinguished, and happy is he if his lines of life are cast in harmony therewith. In person, in talents and in character Alfred Christian Mueller is a worthy scion of his race. He is a representative in the maternal line of a family that has figured conspicuously in connection with the legal history of Davenport for fifty-seven years, and in his personal connection with the bar he has demonstrated the possession of those qualities which win success in law practice - close application, comprehensive study of legal principles and unfaltering devotion to the interests of his clients.

Mr. Mueller was born in Davenport, June 14, 1875, a son of Christian and Elfrieda (Claussen) Mueller. The father, for many years a leading lumber merchant and prominent and beloved citizen of Davenport, is mentioned at length on another pages of this volume. The mother was a daughter of Hans Reimer Claussen, who in 1853 was the founder of the present law firm with which A. C. Mueller is now connected. The business has descended by legacy or purchase to son and grandson to the present time and the firm has ever stood as one of the most successful and representative among the practitioners of the Davenport bar. Hans Reimer Claussen, the founder of the firm, was born in Schleswig-Holstein, in 1804, and prepared for the practice of law as a student in the University of Kiel between the years 1824 and 1829. The following year he was admitted to the bar and entered upon the active duties of the profession near his old home. In 1834 he opened an office in Kiel, where he remained in active practice until 1851, when he was exiled by the King of Denmark, then ruler of Schleswig-Holstein. He served as a member of the legislature of Holstein from 1840 until 1851 and in 1848-9 was a member of the German parliament, which convened in May of the former year. For the prominent part which he took in the discussion of governmental affairs, and because his son Ernest fought in the ranks of the revolutionists in 1848, the family were exiled. America, the refuge of so many political exiles from Germany, offered shelter and opportunity to H. R. Claussen, who, arriving in Davenport in 1851, began the study of the English language and two years thereafter was admitted to the bar. His son Ernest became his law partner and the firm soon took rank with the leading representatives of the legal profession in this city. In 1869 Hans R. Claussen was elected to the state senate for a four years' term, and his knowledge of the law enabled him to take active part in the revision of the court in 1873. He left the impress of his individuality upon the laws enacted during his connection with the general assembly and also upon the history of the republican party, aiding largely in shaping its history in this state. In May, 1832, he married Anna Rahbeck, a daughter of a Danish civil officer and niece of a celebrated Danish poet. Ernest Claussen, who became his father's law partner and was an uncle of A. C. Mueller, was born in 1833, spent the first two years in America in St. Louis and then became a resident of Davenport. Following his father's retirement from the bar in 1870 he continued in practice alone until his son Alfred became his associate. Moreover, he was prominent in connection with municipal affairs and that his fellow townsmen recognized his devotion to the public welfare is indicated in the fact that he was for five terms mayor of Davenport.

From a family of lawyers, therefore, Alfred Christian Mueller was descended in the maternal line. At the usual age he became a pupil in the public schools and afterward attended Duncan's Commercial College, while for one year he was a student in the polytechnic school at Hanover, Germany. His literary course completed, he took up the study of law and afterward pursued his reading for one year under the direction of Julius Lischer. He next entered the law school of the Iowa State University, from which he was graduated in 1897 and afterward spent one year in the office of Lischer & Bawden. He next went to New York and pursued a three years' course in law in Columbia University, from which he was graduated in the class of 1901. Returning to Davenport, he became associated with the Mueller Lumber Company as auditor, but in 1903 entered actively upon the practice of law and became the successor of his cousin, Alfred Claussen, thus continuing the firm which was founded by his grandfather.

On the 21st of January, 1903, Mr. Mueller was married to Lulu May Ellsworth, a native of New York city and a daughter of Albert Starr and Cora Ellsworth, who were of English descent. Mr. Mueller takes little active part in politics but is a member of the school board and is much interested in the cause of education, recognizing the full value of public instruction as one of the bulwarks of the nation.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Henry Hell Bio

"From History of Davenport and Scott County, Iowa - by Harry E. Donner - Chicago - The S. J. Clark Publishing Company, 1910"

One of the prominent young men of Scott county is Dr. Henry Hell, who for the past five years has been practicing his profession as a veterinarian there and in the village of New Liberty. A native of this county, he was born in Cleona township, November 27, 1877, and is a son of John and Wiebke (Stolley) Hell. The former was born in the town of Maren, Ditmarschen, Germany, March 27, 1833. In 1853 he sailed for America, coming to Davenport immediately after crossing the Atlantic, and there for a number of years he worked at his trade of a mason, but later in partnership with his brother Claus bought a team of oxen and engaged in breaking prairie for pioneer settlers in this county. In 1857 the brothers began to farm for themselves, having secured what was then known as the Charles Hagen place in Hickory Grove township. Five years later John Hell married and in March, 1862, removed to Cleona township, where he lived until 1891, when he came to New Liberty, here engaging in the general merchandise business. In the preceding years he had followed farming with great profit, for in addition to the quarter section of land on which he lived in Cleona township on the Cedar county line, another tract of eighty acres in Cedar county, comprising the old homestead farm, and two hundred and forty acres in Cedar county, in the same section as the tract just mentioned. These extensive landholdings were entirely the result of his own labor, for he came here with little capital. The land was unimproved and its resources were then untried. He overcame the many obstacles that beset his path, however, and in 1900, at the beginning of the new century, retired from active life. He died in New Liberty, August 13, 1908. His wife, whom he wedded January 18, 1862, was born in Rendsburg, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, January 12, 1833, and had come to this country in 1860. She is still living and makes her home in New Liberty. Six children were born to them: John, a farmer at Hankinson, North Dakota; Charles, a mechanic at Grundy Center, Iowa; Theodore, who died in childhood; William, who is a molder and lives in Davenport; George, a farmer at Sunbury, Iowa; and Henry, the subject of this sketch.

Dr. Henry Hell was reared at home and lived with his parents in Cleona township and New Liberty until 1900. He attended the public schools of his district during his youth, in which he received a good foundation for the studies he later pursued in higher institutions of learning. When he left home upon his father's retirement from business in 1900, he went to his brother John, who was at that time a contractor of railroad construction. He devoted some of his time to that labor for several months and in the fall of 1901 took a course in veterinary medicine at the Iowa State College at Ames. In the fall of 1903 he was admitted to advanced standing in the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, where he pursued his studies in his chosen profession until June 15, 1904, when he was given a degree from the veterinary department of that institution. He came to New Liberty almost immediately after his graduation and on the 1st of July commenced the practice of veterinary surgery in that village. A young man, who felt that from his boyhood he was peculiarly fitted for his line of work, and being endowed with a quick and alert mind, which has been most thoroughly trained, he has proved that he is well abel to care for the most troublesome cases entrusted to his care. A skillful practitioner he has also a keen understanding of animal nature, so that in the half decade that he has been practicing here he has been of invaluable assistance to the farmers and stock owners of the surrounding country.

At Omro, Wisconsin, December 26, 1906, was celebrated the marriage of Dr. Hell and Miss Minne Elmegreen, who was born in Schleswig township, Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, February 19, 1884, and is a daughter of August Elmegreen. She received her early education in the place of her birth and then recieved private instruction under Professor Gensch at Hilbert, Wisconsin, after which she engaged in teaching for three years. In the fall of 1904 she was engaged as an instructor in Liberty township and here met Dr. Hell, whom she afterward married. Two children, Chester John and Ethel Mae, have been born to the couple.

Dr. Hell is a stanch republican in his political views and is at present treasurer of the town of New Liberty, for he is a young man in whom all place the greatest reliance. Fraternally he enjoys pleasant relations, being an active member of Lodge, No. 221, A. F. & A. M., at Davenport.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

Hon George W. Scott Bio

"From Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Hon. George W. Scott, mayor of the city of Davenport, whose experiences have been wide and whose course has been maked by continuous progress, was born on a farm near Le Roy, in Oldtown township, McLean county, Illinois, January 31, 1861. His parents were William H. and Eunice B. (Lebo) Scott, the former of Irish descent and the latter of French lineage. The maternal grandfather was born in France, and some of the Lebo family were participants in the Revolutionary war and the war of 1812, while brothers of Eunice B. Lebo served in the Civil War.

William H. Scott was a farmer by occupation and carried on agricultural pursuits and stock-raising on an extensive scale. He died March 19, 1889, near Lincoln, Nebraska, which city was at that time his home. His widow now resides with a daughter near Enid, Oklahoma. Their family numbered four sons and two daughters, five of whom are living: George W.; Ira, who is on a farm near Cashion, Oklahoma; Wilson H., livingnear La Cygne, Kansas; Orris, whose home is near Norfolk, Nebraska; and Emma, the wife of John Hollar, near Enid, Oklahoma.

George W. Scott was reared to farm life and attended the district schools until nineteen years of age, when he continued his studies in the Evergreen City Business College, at Bloomington, Illinois, pursuing a commercial course. He afterward entered the Illinois State Normal University at Normal, Illinois, and there pursued a two years' course. He afterward engaged in teaching in the country and graded schools for three years and, making advance in this field of labor as he has in every other to which he has directed his attention, he became principal of the graded schools at Morton, Illinois. After a short time he was appointed superintendent of the Indian school and special disbursement agent at Fort Stevenson, Dakota, now North Dakota. He continued in that position from October 28, 1885, until January 8, 1889, when he was appointed superintendent by Hon. J. D. C. Atkins, commissioner of Indian affairs, and at the same time received appointment as special disbursing agent from the Hon. L. Q. C. Lamar, secretary of the interior during President Cleveland's first administration.

Shortly after reaching Fort Stevenson Mr. Scott was appointed first postmaster of the fort by General Adlai E. Stevenson, first assistant postmaster-general. This was an old military fort established in 1868 and when Mr. Scott received this appointment the military reservation was set off, in charge of the interior department, for school purposes and he was placed in charge as its first bonded officer. He not only had charge of the school and reservation but also established an industrial school to which he brought many Indian children who were there taught the different trades and industries. On the 8th of January, 1889, by order of the secretary of the interior and commissioner of Indian affairs, Mr. Scott was transferred to the superintendency of the Chilocco Indian Training School at Chilocco, Indian Territory, with an annual increase of salary of three hundred dollars. At the time that was one of the largest Indian training schools in the service, having an enrollment of some three hundred boys and girls. General John H. Oberly had charge of the Indian affairs and the Hon. William Vilas was secretary of the interior. Mr. Scott remained in charge of the school until december 1, 1889, when he resigned to devote his attention to the reading of law. At the school he had had thirty-five employes under him, had conducted a farm of five hundred acres, had carried on stock-raising quite extensively and had superintended all the manual and graded school work. He was one of the pioneers in the work of the Indian training schools and succeeded in demonstrating their worth in the civilizing of the red race.

While thus engaged Mr. Scott read law in his leisure moments. His reading was directed by C. T. Atkinson, at Arkansas City, Kansas, and after his admission to the bar, on the 20th of April, 1890, he practiced there until April, 1891, when he was elected justice of the peace, which position he continued to fill until elected county attorney, January 1, 1893. He filled the latter position for two years and following his retirement from office removed to Davenport on the 1st of February, 1895, and has since been a representative of the bar in this city. While engaged in teaching and also while pursuing his studies Mr. Scott devoted some time to the newspaper business, being correspondent for the Bloomington Bulletin. He also worked for the Pekin (Illinois) Times and while in Kansas he was for a time associate editor of the Arkansas City Valley Democrat and correspondent for a number of years for other papers. During the fifteen years of his connection with the legal profession of Davenport he has made substantial advance and has conducted many important litigated interests. He formed a partnership with William Theophilus which continued until April 1, 1898, when Mr. Scott was appointed city attorney at Davenport, holding the position until April 1, 1900. He was then engaged in the practice of law alone until January 1, 1905, when he formed partnership relations with B. I. Salinger and William Theophilus under the firm name of Salinger, Scott & Theophilus, which relation was maintained until May 17, 1909. On the 1st of April, 1906, Mr. Scott was appointed city attorney of Davneport, which office he held until the election of 1908, when he was chosen to the highest official position in the gift of the city, being elected mayor for a two years' term. In 1904 he was the democratic nominee for county attorney but was defeated by one hundred and eight-one votes. He ran far ahead of his ticket, however, as is indicated in the fact that Roosevelt in the same year was given a majority of twenty-five hundred.

On the 5th of January, 1887, Mr. Scott was married to Miss Rosemary Spier, of Peoria, Illinois, and they have six children: Walter Howell, Maris Stella, Coaina Marie, Eunice Marie, Sylvester Hackney, and George Winans. The family are members of the Catholic church and Mr. Scott holds membership with the Modern Woodmen of America, the Woodmen of the World, the Ancient Order of United Workmen, the National Union, the Modern Brotherhood of America, the Odd Fellows' society and the Elks, and has filled nearly all of the chairs in nearly all of these organizations. He was exalted ruler of the Elks lodge for two years, was district deputy of the southern division of Iowa and was one of the board of directors of the Elks Building Association. He has also been a member of the Elks grand lodge. He has taken a very active part in society and political affairs and has been called upon to deliver many speeches and orations, both in the lodges and during political campaings. He has been attorney for a number of corporations in this city and has met with eminent success as a criminal lawyer. He stands as a splendid representative of the men whose strength of character and ability have enabled them to work their way upward. Mr. Scott provided for his own education and though he has met with many hardships and difficulties in life, he has made continuous advancement and is today a forceful character in the professional and political circles of his adopted city.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


F.E. Peto Bio

"From Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clare Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

F. E. Peto, who in former years was an active factor in commercial circles of Davenport, conducting an extensive and profitable business as a shoe merchant, is now living retired save for the supervision which he gives to his real-estate interests. His birth occurred in the town of Koenigsberg, Prussia, Germany, on the 1st of May, 1838, his parents being Frederick and Henrietta Peto, both of whom passed away in that country. The father, who was engaged in business as a shoe merchant, served as a soldier in the war of 1830 between Poland and Prussia.

F. E. Peto attended the schools of his native land in the acquirement of an education and afterward worked for his father, under whose direction he gained a thorough knowledge of the shoe business. He likewise served in the German army, participating in the war with Denmark in 1863-4 and in the war of 1866 against Austria. The many favorable reports which reached him concerning the opportunities and advantages of the new world led him to the determination to establish his home on this side of the Atlantic and in 1870 he set sail for American shores. After landing at New York he came direct to Davenport, arriving in this city on the 30th of June. He first spent about two years in the employ of John Jamison, who was engaged in the shoe business, and then started out on his own account, conducting a leather business on Second street for three years. Subsequently he was engaged in the same business in the Hahnemann building for about three years and then purchased a building at No 415 West Second street, where he successfully carried on business until the time of his retirement in 1904. He purchased two more buildings on either side of the one which first came into his possession and likewise bought considerable other property and, though living largely retired for the past six years, still gives his supervision to his extensive real-estate interest.

In January, 1858, Mr. Peto was united in marriage to Miss Louisa Dahms, a daughter of Peter and Helena Dahms. Unto them were born seven children, four of whom passed away in early life. Edward, who is a resident of Chicago, wedded Miss Minnie Miller and has a daughter, Edith. Frank, who died at the age of thirty-seven years, had married Miss Laura Wiese, by whom he had two children, Alice E. and Camilla. Henry, living in Davenport, wedded Miss Anna Klode and has two sons, Harry and Orr.

Since becoming a naturalized American citizen Mr. Peto has given his political allegiance to the repubilcan party, while fraternally he is identified with the Modern Woodmen of America. Though born across the water, he is thoroughly American in thought and feeling, and is patriotic and sincere in his love for the stars and stripes. For four decades he has made his home in Scott county, where he has acquired a competence and where he is an honored and respected citizen. In business his course has been characterized by the strictest fidelity to principle and in social relations he displays an unfailing courtesy and a genial cordiality that have won for him many friends

 
Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

Theodor Hartz Bio

"From Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Theodor Hartz, secretary, treasurer and manager of the Otto Albrecht Company, manufacturers of fine cigars, was born in Altona, Holstein, Germany, April 24, 1857, a son of Theodor and Emilie (Gottschau) Hartz, who came to America, settling in Rock Island, Illinois, on the 27th of July, 1972. The father was a carpenter and joiner and both he and his wife spent their remaining days in Rock Island, their graves being made in Chipawanie cemetery of that city.

Theodor Hartz was reared in his native land, attending the city schools and also takiing up the study of English under private instruction ere he left Germany for the new world. He had therefore learned to speak the language of this country fairly well when he accompanied his parents on the trip across the Atlantic. They reached Rock Island on Saturday, and on the following Monday he secured a position in the dry-goods store of Louis Kiesow, with whom he remained for seven years - a trusted and valued employe whose fidelity and ability was indicated by the fact of his long retention in the house. He was originally given his board and clothing as compensation for his services, and the proprietor also bestowed upon him a dollar somewhat as an honorarium. On Christmas he was given two dollars and at the end of the year he had eighty-five cents left out of his cash capital of three dollars. During the second year he was paid twelve and a half dollars a month and board, while the third year he was given fifteen dollars per month and board. Later he received an increase to fifteen dollars per week and boarded himself. The appreciation of his services on the part of his employer is indicated in his continued promotion and increase in salary.

In July, 1879, Mr. Hartz came to Davenport, where he secured a position as draft clerk in the citizens National Bank, there remaining until August, 1880, when he became connected with his present line of business in association with Otto Albrecht, who established the enterprise in 1854. Mr. Hartz represented the business upon the road as a traveling salesman for two and a half years, selling cigars, and later was employed in the house. In 1897 the firm was incorporated and Mr. Hartz, being admitted to a partnership, was chosen secretary and treasurer. In the meantime, on the 10th of November, 1881, he married Miss Emma, a daughter of Otto Albrecht. The father became president of the new company, with Mrs. Hartz as vice president. On the 26th of February, 1904, Mr. Albrecht passed away. He had willed his interest in the business to Theodor Hartz personally, and the latter has since managed the enterprise, making his wife president and his daughter, Paula Dunker, vice president, while he retains his old offical connection with the business as secretary and treasurer. The company owns a well equipped factory and employs about thirty people in the manufacture of various kinds of cigars, which find a ready market in Iowa, Illinois and part of Minnesota and South Dakota. Great care and attention are paid to the excellence of the product and the systematic business methods of the house and the well known reliability of the company have constituted strong elements in its success.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Hartz have been eleven children of whom ten are yet living: Paula, the wife of William Dunker; Joa; Hans W.; Gertrude; Nellie; Emilie; Gesa; Ina; Hildegard; and Emma. One child, Otto Albrecht, died in December, 1897. The family are members of the Ethical Society of Davenport. Mr. Hartz has been a member of the school board for nine years and the cause of education finds in him a warm champion, his labors being effective in advancing the school interests of this city. He is also a member of the Davenport Commercial Club and of the Trungemeinde. He exemplifies in his life many of the sterling characteristics of his German ancestry, having the persistent purpose and indefatigabel energy which have ever marked the Teutonic race. His diligence has brought him the success which is now his, while his keen discernment in business affairs enables him to capbly control and develop the interests which are under his charge.

 
Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

Edwin W. Brady Bio

"From Vo. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

In the years of Davenport's early development Edwin W. Brady became one of its residents and continued throughout his remaining days as one of its representative citizens, his labors being a tangible element for the growth and betterment of the community at large. He was born in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, February 22, 1826, and was therefore a young man of twenty-eight years when he arrived in Davenport in 1854. Throughout his life he stood for those things which uplift humanity, which advance progress and promote improvement. He was a stalwart champion of the cause of temperance, laboring along practical, effective and far-reaching lines to curb and suppress the liquor traffic. About 1880 he purchased the Blue Ribbon News from Dr. Morgan. This was a journal devoted to the cause of temperance and, changing its name to the Northwestern News, Mr. Brady continued its publication for some time. His sons were interested with him in this enterprise and later they founded the Daily Times, with which the father was financially connected. At a still later date the sons went to New York to become stockholders in McClure's Magazine Company and have since been associated with that enterprise, helping to build up the business and make the magazine what it is today - one of the most interesting, entertaining and instructive popular magazines of the country. When the sons removed to the east the father retired from business, spending his remaining days in the enjoyment of well earned rest.

On the 22d of February, 1860, Edwin W. Brady was united in marriage to Miss Lydia Frances Weaver, a daughter of John Weaver, who died December 9, 1908, at the remarkable old age of ninety-six years. He was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, April 16, 1812, and was there reared and educated. After arriving at years of maturity he was married in Cincinnati, Ohio, on the 30th of June, 1837, to Miss Julia Ann Warrington Fuller, who died March 1, 1899, at the advanced age of ninety-three years. For an extended period John Weaver was employed in a wholesale grocery house in Cincinnati and was then appointed postmaster of Little Mill Creek by President Polk. He acted as postmaster for four years, serving first at Little Mill Creek and afterward at Ostrander, Ohio. While there he also filled the office of justice of the peace and his opinions were strictly fair and impartial. The year 1853 witnessed his arrival in Davenport, after which time he did not again engage in active business. All of the family lived to an old age. His wife's father was one of the life guard of George Washington and was once shot while serving his country. He recovered his health, however, and lived for some time to enjoy the fruits of his labor, reaching the age of ninety-nine years. Unto Mr. and Mrs. John Weaver were born four children: Mrs. Lydia F. Brady, C. W., Albert and Mrs. Melissa Jennings.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Brady were born six children: Oscar W.; Albert B., who is deceased; Mrs. Carrie B. Tagge; Edwin B.; Ella F.; and Curtis P. As previously stated, the surviving sons became associated with their father in newspaper publication and, continuing their efforts in the field of magazine publication, all are associated with the conduct and management of McClure's. Curtis P. being th business manager of the magazine.

The death of Mr. Brady occurred on the 16th of January, 1909, and thus passed from Davenport one whose record was of benefit to the city in many essential ways. He placed a correct valuation upon life, its purposes and its opportunities and was never a self-centered man who found his happiness in the acquirement of success to be used alone for his own efforts, but on the contrary knew that joy which comes of service for others, and from practical, effective effort for the world's uplift.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Edward Kaufmann Bio

"From Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co 1910 Chicago

The life record of Edward Kaufmann is not only an illustration of the fact that success and an honored name may be won simultaneously but is also an indication of what may be accompliahed through the utilization of the opportunities which America affords to her young men. In this land where labor is unhampered by caste or class success follows earnest, persistent and intelligently directed labor and it has been along this line that Edward Kaufmann has reached his present important position as cashier of the German Savings Bank of Davenport.

Born in this city on the 18th of August, 1864, he is a son of John and Mary Anna (Schissler) Kaufmann, the former a native of Germany and the latter of Illinois. The father came to the United States in the early '50s and after spending a number of years in the east removed to Iowa during the latter part of that decade, settling in Davenport township, Scott County, where he turned his attention to farming. At the time of the Civil war, however, he put aside all business and personal considerations and in 1861 enlisted in the Twelfth Missouri Volunteer Infantry, taking an active part in the war. He was severely wounded at Vicksburg in 1863 and because of the injury he there sustained was honorably discharged. Returning to Davenport he continued his residence in this city to the time of his death, which occurred in 1902.

In the public schools Edward Kaufmann pursued his early education and afterward had the benefit of instruction in a business college. He then accepted a position in the office of a flour mill and in 1886 entered the German Savings Bank, with which he has since been connected. His initial position was a very humble one, but gradually he has worked his way upward, his ability and energy winning him recognition in various promotions until he became assistant cashier. He acted in that capacity for a number of years and in 1906 became cashier of this important institution.

In 1898 Mr. Kaufmann was united in marriage to Miss Tillie Schmidt, who was born in Davenport and is a daughter of Hugo Schmidt, one of the prominent and respected pioneer residents of this city. Mr. Kaufmann was a member of the library board and has served as its chairman. He is interested in everything pertaining to the promotion of education and the welfare of the community and his labors have constituted a cooperant factor in many measures and projects earned for himself an enviable reputation as a careful man of business and in his dealings is known for his prompt and honorable methods which have won the deserved and unbounded confidence of his followmen.

 
Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

Chris Marti Bio

"From Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Among the citizens of Scott county who have put aside the heavier responsibilities of life and are living in the enjoyment of a well deserved rest is Chris Marti, for a long period actively identified with the best agricultural interests of Winfield township, where he owns two hundred and forty acres of land. A man of conspicuous success in his private affairs, he was honored by the citizens of his locality, for on several occasions he was chosen their representative to the general assembly at Des Moines, there exerting his influence consistently in behalf of the best interests of his constituents. His public record was without shadow, as his private life is without dishonor, the mere fact that he has served continuously since 1872 as secretary of the school board being indicative of the esteem in which he is held in his locality.

A native of Switzerland, Chris Marti was born May 27, 1845, his parents being Bartholome and Anna Barbara (Slagel) Marti. The former was born in February, 1820, in the same country as his son, and there learned the trade of a cabinetmaker, following that occupation until he was called to serve in the army of 1848. In 1852 he emigrated with his family to America, and after landing at New Orleans ascended the Mississippi to Scott county, which he reached in April. For the first two years after his arrival he worked at his trade and then bought one hundred acres of prairie land in Winfiled township, for which he paid a dollar and a quarter an acre. He built thereon a small house, prepared the fields for cultivation and there lived until the fall of 1855, when he sold it and removed to Davenport, there working at his carpenter's trade during the winter. The following spring he resumed farming, purchasing eighty acres of land from a Mr. Clawsen, who was a lawyer of this county. The tract was situated on section 28, Winfield township, and only ten acres of it had been broken. With the assistance of his son Chris, Mr. Marti broke the remaining acres, fenced his fields and improved the place which remained his home until 1898, when he came to live with his son on the farm the latter now occupies. In the meantime, however, he had invested in considerable real estate as his income justified the purchase of land, and at one time owned two hundred and forty acres. The last two years of his life were passed at the home of his son, and there he died December 3, 1900. Although not a native of this country, he was loyal to its ideals, ever giving the best of his labor to the development of the state in which he lived and having been elected to the office of school director on the republican ticket, served his township faithfully in that capacity. His wife had preceded him to the grave by some years, for she passed away in 1893 when seventy-one years of age. She was the mother of five children, as follows: Margaret, the wife of Jacob Engler, a retired farmer of Minden, Pottawattamie county, Iowa; Chris, the subject of this sketch; Christina, the wife of William Murrison, of Sheridan township, Scott county; Bartley, who died in 1887; and John M., who is living upon the old homestead in Winfield township.

Chris Marti had attended school in Switzerland for three months before the removal of the family to America and after arriving in Scott county was enrolled as a pupil in the district schools near his home. Not all of his time was given to the preparation of lessons, however, for he assisted his father in breaking the land and improving the farm he had purchased and later in cultivating the fields, so that, at the age of twenty-two years, he was well prepared to engage in farming on his own account. Upon leaving the parental roof, with the assistance of his father he bought a tract of one hundred acres on section 16, Sheridan township, which had been broken but on which no buildings had been erected. Mr. Marti made whatever improvements were necessary and lived theron until 1869, when he disposed of that place and bought of his father the farm on section 33 on which he now lives. He continued the improvements which had been begun, and as the result of his care and diligence was soon reaping annually large harvests that netted him a comforable income. Later he purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land adjoining the homestead, making a total of two hundred and forty acres he owns in Scott county. He owns twenty acres in Allens Grove township, while another indication of his prosperity is afforded by the fact that he is a director of the Long Grove Bank. He has now retired from active participation in the cultivation of his fields, having rented his land to his sons, who are carrying on the work.

While the extent of these landholdings affords a palpable evidence of Mr. Mati's skill as a farmer and the good judgment which has distinguished his business operations, an even greater indication of his success in the world's work is seen in the high regard in which he is held by the men in whose midst he has lived and who were pleased to bestow upon him many marks of their approval. He served as clerk of Winfield township for four years, in 1872 was elected secretary of the school board of the independent district of Winfield, an office he has filled continuously to the present, and in 1889 was elected to the twenty-third general assembley at Des Moines, Iowa. He was reelected to the twenty-fourth assembly, did not serve in the twenty-fifth, but returned to the twenty-sixth. He also served in the call session summoned by Governor Drake. In 1898 he was nominated upon the democratic ticket for state senator but was defeated by W. E. Hayward. He always remained true to what he believed to be for the interests of his constituents and in accord with his own ideals of honor and uprightness, and the record of his public acts is one of which any man might be proud.

Mr. Marti has been twice married. On the 13th of December, 1866, he wedded Miss Ellen Madden, who was born in Liverpool, England, August 16, 1847, and was bought to this country by her parents, John and Ellen Madden, in 1850. Of this union there were four children, George D., the eldest, now residing in Austin, Minnesota, married first Miss Emma Clapp, by whom he had a daughter, Vera. Mrs. Emma Marti died in July, 1900, and he later married Miss Evelyn Williamson. Howard B. lives with his father. John S. also lives upon part of his father's farm. He wedded Miss Mary A. Neil, and they have two daughters, Jennie and Helen. Delbert C., a resident of Winfield township, married Miss Dorothea Hendricksen and unto them has been born a daughter, Myrtle. On the 5th of December, 1888, Mr. Marti was called to mourn the death of his wife, who had been a faithful helpmate and companion for more than twenty years and was laid to rest at Long Grove. On October 22, 1890, he married again, his second wife having been Miss Anie B. Thompson, a daughter of Hugh M. and Jennie (Robinson) Thompson, who had come to Long Grove, Scott county, from England, in 1844, among the early settlers of the state. They were of Scotch descent. The father became closely identified with the interests of his locality and was generally known as the Hon. H. M. Thompson, for he served in the general assembly at Des Moines and was appointed superintendent of the agricultural department of the Iowa State College at Ames. He passed away in 1887, but his widow is still living at the venerable age of ninety-five years and makes her home with Mr. Marti. Two daughters have been born to Mr. Marti's second union, namely: Nellie, who is attending the high school in Davenport, and Anie T., who is at home.

Mr. Marti voted for Governor Cummins the first time he was the candidate for state executive and has since voted with the republican party. Fraternally he belongs to the Long Grove Camp of the Woodmen of the World and to the Modern Brotherhood of America at Eldridge, while he maintains intimate association with his follow agriculturists through his membership in the Sheridan Grange. His religious support is given to the Christian church of long Grove, of which he is trustee. The salient traits of his character are energy, perseverance and the capacity to work, united with high ideals of honorable manhood and progressive citizenship. He has been true to all trusts imposed upon him, and now in the evening of life may well enjoy the rest he so well deserves, assured of the respect, good will and esteem of the citizens of Winfield township, in whose midst the most of his years have been spent.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Jacob Ira Crook

"From Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Jacob I. Crook was connected with what has become one of the most important laundry concerns in Iowa, being associated in this with his two sons, Lester J. and Rolland W. Crook, who are the principal factors in the business, which is conducted under the of Crook Brothers on East Third street. Mr. Crook was born in Steuben county, New York, July 11, 1836. He enlisted in the United States army on the 16th of August, 1861, and was a member of Company A of the Forty-seventh Illinois Infantry. He served three years as private and was honorably dischared in 1864, reentered the army at Hartford, Connecticut, February 8, 1865, in the capacity of sergeant, and was honorably discharged after the close of the war, on the 7th of February, 1866.

On the 1st of November, 1864, at Peoria, Illinois, Mr. Crook was united in marriage to Miss Louisa H. Stringer. To this union four children were born, two sons and two daughters. After locating with his family in Davenport, Mr. Crook was engaged in various business pursuits. One of the daughters, Olive L., was born in Peoria county, Illinois, June 6, 1866, and on the 27th of November, 1897, at Dubuque, Iowa, was married to David N. Albaugh. One son, Jacob Ira, was born to this union. They reside in Davenport. Martha J., whose birth occurred in Atkinson, Illinois, February 16, 1871, was married at Davenport, Iowa, on the 30th of January, 1890, to Alonzo S. Collins. They live in Buffalo, New York, and have one son, Alonzo William.

Lester J., the eldest son, was born in Henry county, Illinois, March 16, 1868. He acquired his education in the public schools and in his early manhood was employed as a clerk in a dry-goods establishment. He then abandoned that position and entered the employ of the firm which formerly conducted the laundry of which he is now one of the proprietors. He was first employed as driver on the delivery wagon for this concern. From the beginning he seemed alert to every point by which he might learn more concerning the laundry business and this alertness, coupled with his generosity of service, was soon noted by his employers and in a short time he was put in charge as manager of the laundry. He was not long in proving himself capable of handling the affairs of this concern in managing its financial interests and in directing the labors of the employes over whom he had supervision. Although when he took charge the business was one of insignificance, Mr. Crook soon built up the trade and eventually purchased a half interest. Wishing to become more firmly established in trade circles, he then found a man to purchase the other half interest in the concern, the latter acting as a silent partner. Still later Mr. crook induced his brother, Rolland W., who was a photographer, to purchase the interest of the silent partner. The two then set to work to make theirs an important industry. They rebuilt the plant of twenty-two by seventy-five feet of room to their present quarters of twenty thousand feet of work space, using both floors and equipping the plant with modern machinery. They now have an outfit for doing first-class work, the earning capacity being second to none in the state. The business is located at No. 221 East Third street and is conducted under the name of Crook Brothers. Their patronage is not only drawn from Davenport but extends to other districts within a radius of one hundred miles, and their laundry is now one of the largest in the state.

Lester J. Crook was married at Rock Island, on the 29th of September, 1893, to Miss Katharine C. Scott. One daughter, Louisa K., was born to this union. Mr. crook belongs to the Knights of Pythisa, the Elks and the Red Men and is popular with his brethren in these various societies.

Rolland W. Crook was born in Atkinson, Illinois, on the 4th of October, 1873. He acquired his education in the public schools and when but a lad entered the employ of Frank Hastings, the photographer, remaining in that line of activity until he entered the laundry business. On the 3d of June, 1907, at Davenport, he was married to Miss Dorothy K. Eberly. His fraternal relations are with the Masons and the Elks. The brothers are alert, enterprising men, putting forth their constant progression rapidly brings them toward the wished for goal. They take an active part in the city's welfare and have become recognized as prominent business men of Davenport.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Charles T. Kindt

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S.
J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Kindt, Stoddard, Fields.

 Charles T. Kindt, one of the most progressive and prominent theatrical
managers of the west, his business enterprise and discrimination being
evidenced in his successful control of our fifty theaters which he owns and
many others, which he represents, was born in Sandusky, Ohio, May 28, 1862.
His father, Louis Kindt, a native of Germany, was born January 1, 1826. The
grandfather held a high official position in the province of Baden and,
greatly interested in the political situation of the country, became
connected with the revolution of 1848 as one of the leaders in the movement
that sought greater liberty for the people. He was a man of wide influence,
who died shortly after his capture at the advanced age of eighty-two years.
His son, Louis Kindt, then sailed for the new world, hoping here to enjoy
the liberty that was denied him in his native country. The vessel in which
he sailed was wrecked on the voyage and he spent three days floating on a
raft, after which he was picked up off the banks of Newfoundland and landed
on American shores. At length he settled at Pottsdam, Pennsylvania. He was a
man of liberal education, having studied at Heidelberg University, his taste
and talent for art leading him to pursue a course along that line. He first
engaged in teaching in Pottsdam but after a brief period turned his
attention to his chosen profession and became one of the most famous scenic
artists in the entire country. He passed by successive and logical steps
into the theatrical business as a promoter of theatrical interests in
various cities. He now lives in Kenosha, Wisconsin, and while he has
practically retired from active business still paints for his own amusement
and recreation and is accounted a connoisseur of art, while his ability in
production has placed him among the eminent representatives of his line.
Among his most famous productions are the Battle of Lookout Mountain and the
Battle of Gettysburg, chosen as the artist for ad had charge of the pageant
at Davenport.
 In his younger days Charles T. Kindt traveled from place to place with his
father but his education was not neglected, as he attended school in various
cities, becoming a high school student in Chicago. He afterward took up the
business of wood engraving and followed it until the process of
photo-engraving was discovered, when he realized that there was then no
future for him as a carver of wood. Accordingly he turned his attention to
his father's profession of scenic painting and in 1887 came to Davenport to
paint the scenery for the new Turner Hall. Favorably impressed with the city
and its people, he remained here and has never regretted his choice. He
assumed the management of the theater in Turner Hall and extended the scope
of his effort, becoming a member of the firm of Chamberlin, Harrington &
Kindt, forming what I snow known as the I. & I. Circuit of theaters, owning
and conducting over fifty theaters and representing several hundreds of
others. To Mr. Kindt and his associates is due the excellent class of
amusements given to the public through the avenue of the theaters which they
own and the theatrical business is so ably managed that success has followed
as the immediate result of their labors. Mr. Kindt is also largely
interested in advertising and is the president of the Western Theatrical
Managers Association, having three times been elected to the office. In
1882, Mr. Kindt was married to Miss Nellie Stoddard, a native of Kenosha,
Wisconsin, and they have three children: Caroline, now the wife of S. B.
Fields; Charles Roy, associated with his father in business; and Julia
Helen. Mr. Kindt is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks,
the Turners and a large number of professional societies. He is genial and
popular not only with his fellow townsmen but with theatrical people and all
with whom business relations bring him in contact. Catering to the human
need for amusement through the avenue of the theater, he is giving to the
public entertainment that is of a recreative and most interesting character
and through the medium of the circuit which has been established attractions
are secured for various towns which otherwise would not have the opportunity
to hear first-class entertainments.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann


James C. Murray

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S.
J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Murray, Croyle, Kober.

 Among the many citizens of Davenport, the active years of whose life have
been devoted to agricultural pursuits is James C. Murray, who owns on
hundred acres of fine land in Davenport township, about two and a half miles
from the Orphan's Home Road. He was born January 13, 1845, and is a son of
George and Esther (Croyle) Murray. The father was born in Scotland and was
the first of his family to come to this country. He settled and lived for a
time in Pennsylvania, and then in 1855 came to Scott county, where he
engaged in farming for many years. Later, having gained a success from his
vocation he retired from active life, taking up his residence in the city.
 James C. Murray was about ten years of age when his father moved to Iowa,
but nevertheless his education has been derived entirely from the schools of
Scott county. While it was meager compared to that given to pupils today, it
amply fitted him when it was united tot eh practical training received at
home, for the responsibilities of life and for the attainment of success.
When he started out for himself in the world of work and men, he continued
in the vocation to which he had been reared, and added stock-raising to the
general cultivation of the soil. Chicago and Davenport were his principal
markets, and his stock, always well kept, ever commanded large prices. About
twenty years ago he rented his land, some of the finest and most arable in
the neighborhood of Davenport, and took up his residence in the city. He has
a comfortable home at 1517 Le Claire street, where he enjoys a well deserved
rest from the hard toil of life.
 At the opening of the year of 1880 Mr. Murray was united in the bonds of
wedlock to Miss Susie K. Kober, a daughter of Christian Kober. One son,
Christian, was born to them but passed away in early life. Although
successful in his business, Mr. Murray has had no desire to enter the arena
of public affairs. He has, however, joined the ranks of the Masons, and is
not infrequently present at the meetings of the Davenport lodge.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann


John Adolph Otto

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S.
J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Otto, Schnore, Ruwe, Rohlk, Kronenberg.

 On the 2d of October, 1909, there occurred an event which caused general
mourning in Blue Grass township-the death of John Adolph Otto. In him were
embodied the virtues of the early pioneers-the steadfast purpose, rugged
integrity and moral zeal-virtues to which the splendid civilization of Scott
county is indebted for its wonderful development and progress.
 Mr. Otto, who was born in Pommern, Germany, January 11, 1832, came with his
parents, Adolph and Sophie Otto, and the other members of the family, to the
new world in 1847. They were fourteen weeks and three days on the water,
landing at Boston, Massachusetts, where John Otto and his brother Bernard
remained for two years, but the parents continued their journey westward.
They lived in Davenport one year, subsequent to which time the father
purchased eighty acres of land from the government and this tract is still
in possession of the family, being now owned by Louis Otto, a son of Bernard
Otto. The father after coming into possession of this land set to work in
earnest to improve and develop the place. He mad his home throughout his
remaining years on the farm where his son august now lives.
 John Adolph Otto was a youth of fifteen years when he accompanied his
parents on their emigration to America and on his arrival he sought
immediate employment, so that all the education he acquired was in the
schools of his native country. As above stated, he remained in Boston for
two years after coming to the new world and at the end of that time joined
his father in Scott county. Upon his arrival in this county he at once took
up farming and this continued to be his occupation until his death. He
started, as do most settlers, I a humble way, but he possessed that tenacity
of purpose that led him upward to success, and when he was called to his
final rest, on the 2d of October, 1909, he owned three hundred and twenty
acres of land in Scott county and three hundred and twenty acres in
Muscatine county, Iowa.
 After reaching years of maturity Mr. Otto sought a companion and helpmate
in the person of Miss Wilhelmina Schnore, who was likewise born in Germany
but at the time of their marriage was residing in Scott county. With the
mother two sons and three daughters survive the father's death: Matilda,
living in Durant; Carl, also of that city; Albertina, the wife of Davie
Ruwe, also of Durant; Wilhelmina, the wife of Charles Rohlk, a resident of
Durant; and August.
 The last named was reared under the parental roof continuing to assist his
father in the work of the home farm until the latter's death. He is now
operating the farm on his own account and is a most enterprising and
prosperous young farmer, whose business methods are such as commend him to
the admiration and respect of the community. He was married to Miss Louisa
Kronenberg, a daughter of Henry Kronenberg, who made his home in Blue Grass
township but is now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Otto have one daughter, Wilma,
who was born in December 11, 1907.
 The Otto family has always been numbered among those of worth and
prominence in Blue Grass township. John Otto was identified with its
agricultural interests for almost six decades and his son is still
continuing along that line, fully sustaining the reputation that was always
borne by his honored father.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

U. N. Roberts

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Roberts, Roraback, Campbell.

 When nature takes its course and man arrives at old age and then passes
from the scene of earthly activities, sorrow is often felt, but not the
intense regret which comes when the young man whose career of usefulness has
scarcely begun, is taken. In the midst of a career in which he was using
wisely and intelligently the talents with which nature endowed him, U. N.
Roberts was called form this life and only the memory of his noble manhood,
his upright citizenship and his splendid business and executive abilities
tempered the poignant grief that was everywhere felt by those who had met
him through commercial or social relations. In the little rock-ribbed
country of Wales his birth occurred, the place of his nativity being the
town of Ruabon, while his natal day was October 30, 1841. Eight years passed
and in 1849 he accompanied his parents as they crossed the Atlantic to the
new world and established their home in Neenah, Wisconsin. Ten days later
the family were appalled by the death of the husband and father and upon the
widowed mother devolved the care, support and protection of her children.
Struggles and trials confronted the family and the financial condition made
it imperative that the sons should aid in their own support as soon as
possible. Therefore at a tender age U. N. Roberts sought employment and the
splendid establishment of which he was the head became the measure of his
ability and enterprise, for his success was attributable entirely to his own
labors.
 On the 4th of March, 1866, when in his twenty-fifth year, Mr. Roberts came
to Davenport, intent upon establishing himself in some business which he
understood and therefore which would constitute for him the avenue that he
might travel toward the goal of success. He had already had experience in
the manufacture of sash and doors while in Wisconsin and with the resolve
that his labor should directly benefit himself he rented a room on Perry
street and on the total capital of but six hundred and seventy-two dollars.
He at once began the manufacture of sash, doors and blinds and though the
enterprise was started on a small scale, the business gradually developed
until it became one of the mammoth productive industries of the city. He
carefully solved each business problem as it came to him, drawing from his
previous experiences for the right answer to the question and also making
demand on his initiative spirit that he might formulate and execute new
plans. He had already established a growing business when in 1869 disaster
in the shape of a fire stared him in the face. His entire plant was
destroyed but by determined effort and renewed perseverance he was again
soon established in business and at his demise left an enterprise with
extensive trade connections and founded upon an unassailable reputation for
commercial integrity and probity. The impetus which he gave to the
undertaking has been manifest throughout all the ensuing years. At his death
the business was continued under the name of U. N. Roberts & Company and has
since been incorporated under the style of the U. N. Roberts Company, with a
paid up capital of three hundred thousand dollars. The plant is now very
extensive and the scope of the business has been extended to include doors,
sash, blinds, interior finish, art and prismatic glass. In all matters of
material concern affecting the prosperity of Davenport, the city of his
adoption and pride, Mr. Roberts took deep interest. He was especially
concerned in the effort to secure the completion of the Davenport &
Northwestern Railroad to the city and his efforts in this as well as in
other lines were crowned with success.
 The spirit of commercialism was by no means the dominant element in the
life of Mr. Roberts, who believed with Lincoln "There is something better
than making a living-making a life." He was never neglectful of those
interests which tend to the betterment and uplifting of the individual and
the community at large. From the time of his arrival in Davenport he was a
liberal supporter of the congregational church and aided that organization
very materially during the period of its financial struggle. About four
years prior to his demise he transferred his relation to the Presbyterian
church and became one of the most highly valued adherents of that
organization, serving as a member of its board of trustees at the time of
his death. He was always in attendance at church services on Sunday and the
midweek meetings and by financial support and influence did everything in
his power to promote the growth and extend the cause of the church. For
years he was also one of the liberal members of the Young Men's Association
and before his death had made generous plans for assisting that organization
in its efforts to erect for itself a building. He was president of that
organization and in no phase of Davenport's life was his loss more keenly
felt. Charitable in spirit, he gave freely to many benevolences and was ever
ready to extend a helping hand  to those in need of assistance.
 On the 17th of June, 1868, Mr. Roberts was married to Miss Julia A.
Roraback, the second daughter of Isaac and Rhoda Roraback, the second
daughter of South Bend Indiana, the marriage ceremony being performed by
Rev. Thomas P. Campbell. Unto them were born two children. To his family he
was most devoted, counting no personal effort or sacrifice on his part too
great if it would promote the happiness or enhance the welfare of the
members of his own household. He passed away September 7, 1877, after an
illness of about a month. His memory is perpetuated in the splendid
industrial establishment which he founded, but more than that, in the hearts
of those who knew him. All were glad to call him friend because of the
warmth of his nature and the fact that he stood for that which is highest
and noblest in human affairs. At the time of his demise one of the city
papers said of him: "A good man and a public-spirited citizen has fallen. In
such a death Davenport suffers a real and serious loss. Mr. Roberts was
emphatically a growing man. Already, young as he was, he filled a wide place
in our city. Had his life been spared a few years longer, the real strength
and nobility of his character would assuredly have won for him a still
higher place in the city and in public life."

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann


Francis C. Grace

History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Grace, Fawcett, Law, Morgan, Hannay.

      The list of the affluent citizens of Davenport contains the name of Francis
C. Grace, one of the representative and honored men of Scott county, for his
record as a soldier, a dentist and a business man has been so honorable that
he has gained the confidence and good will of all with whom he has been
brought into contact. He was born near Scio in Harrison county, Ohio, August
5, 1844, a son of George and Nancy (Fawcett) Grace. The Grace family was
very prominent in Ireland for many generations and the first of its members
came to America in 1700. Francis Grace, the grandfather of Francis C. Grace,
came to the United States in 1823, in the hope of bettering his financial
condition and died in this country about 1836. He had married Jane Law and
they became the parents of seven children, who established their homes in
different parts of this country.
      George Grace, the son of Francis Grace and the father of our subject, was
born in County Tyrone, Ireland, and was a lad of nine years when he
accompanied his parents on their journey to America. He was engaged in
farming in Ohio and in 1856 came to Scott county, Iowa, where he continued
to follow that occupation and where his death occurred. By his marriage to
Nancy Fawcett there were born eight children who are engaged in various
pursuits in different parts of the country.
      Francis c. Grace, who was the second of the children born to his parents,
attended school a short time in Ohio and after the family came to Scott
county, Iowa, he continued his studies in the public schools until he was
about eighteen years of age. At the same time, however, he assisted his
father in operating the farm, until 1862, when he enlisted in the Twentieth
Iowa Volunteer Infantry, later with the Army of the Southwest. He was
discharged at St. Louis in February, 1863, but the following May re-enlisted
in the Forty-fourth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, which was assigned to the Army
of the Tennessee. He remained at the front until honorably discharged from
the service in October, 1864, as corporal.
      Mr. Grace then returned to Scott county and resumed farm work. Feeling the
need of a better education, he accordingly entered Cornell College at Mount
Vernon, Iowa, and on leaving that institution returned to Davenport, where
he took up the study of dentistry. He practiced here and later in Chicago,
in both cities enjoying a large patronage which was a visible evidence of
his skill and success. Ill health, however, due to exposure while he was in
the army, compelled him to relinquish his profession in 1880 and in 1882 he
went to Daytona, Florida, to recuperate and there spent the next eight
years. At the end of that period he returned to Davenport, where he ha since
resided. Although he did not again engage in the practice of dentistry, he
was not idle. For a number of years he was engaged in the publishing
business, being associated with Egbert, Fiddler & Chambers for eighteen
years, but now he gives his time entirely to superintending his large lumber
interests in different parts of the country, for with keen business sagacity
he realized the opportunities for profitable investment offered by the
lumber market, and availing himself of them, it has been proven that his
judgment was not at fault, for he is now enjoying an income that places him
among the wealthy men of Davenport.
      In Davenport, May 17, 1871, Mr. Grace wedded Miss Louisa F. Woodward, a
daughter of B. B. and Elizabeth (Morgan) Woodward. A son and a daughter have
been born to them: George B., who married Miss Helen L. Hannay, and has
three children, Elizabeth, Nancy and William H.; and Nancy Grace, at home
with her parents.
      Mr. Grace has never sought to figure in public life, possessing a nature of
quiet refinement rather than one that seeks to be constantly before the
people. However, he has always been a good citizen as he was a loyal and
patriotic soldier, the memories of the days upon the battlefields being
revived frequently in the meetings of his fellow members of the Grand Army
post at Davenport, of which he was commander several times.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann


Thomas Grieve

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S.
J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Grieve, Robinson, Thompson, McNutt, Johnson, Lang, Young,
Brownlie, Hall, Howe, Breckenridge, Halling, Shadboldt, Frizzell.

 Thomas Grieve, a retired farmer of Davenport and one of the early pioneer
settlers of Scott county, was born in Scotland on the 1st of July, 1838, his
parents being John and Elizabeth (Robinson) Grieve. In 1844 they sailed from
Liverpool England, and after an ocean voyage of ten weeks landed at New
Orleans, Louisiana. In company with three other families, they at once made
their way up the Mississippi to Davenport, though that was the year in which
the river was especially high. After arriving in this county they purchased
forty acres of prairie land near Long Grove and for about two years the
family lived in a sod house which the father had erected. Later he built a
more substantial residence improved his land, put up fences and also added
to his landed holdings by additional purchase from time to time until he
owned three hundred and forty acres. In connection with his agricultural
interests he also worked at he blacksmith's trade to some extent, doing odd
jobs for the neighbors. The largest plow ever made in Scott county was the
work of his hands. It was used for breaking prairie and would cut a furrow
thirty-sic inches wide, seven yoke of oxen being required to pull it. For
many years his mother had charge of the postoffice at Long Grove, which she
conducted at her own home with the assistance of her son Thomas, who was a
blacksmith. She lived to the advanced age of ninety-one years and was a
great favorite with the old settlers.
 John Grieve was a devoted member of the Christian church at Long Grove and
exemplified its teachings in his daily life. He passed away in 1860, at the
age of about sixty-five years, and thus the community lost one of its most
respected and valued citizens. The demise of his wife occurred in 1864 when
she had attained the age of sixty-five years. Their children were seven in
number, as follows: Jennie, who is deceased, as is also her husband, Andrew
L. Thompson; John, who is a resident of California; Mrs. Ellen McNutt, who
has likewise passed away; Thomas, of this review; William, who makes his
home in Sioux City; Elizabeth, the wife of William Johnson, of Rock Island,
Illinois; and James, who lives in Clay county, Iowa.
 Thomas Grieve, who was a little lad of six years when he came to this
county with his parents, obtained his education in an old log schoolhouse at
Long Grove and then assisted his father in the work of the home farm until
the latter's death. He remained on the old family homestead until the time
of his retirement, devoting his attention to its further cultivation and
improvement throughout his entire business career. For two years he received
a premium at the Scott county fair for the best conducted farm in the
county. After putting aside the active work of the fields he took up his
abode in Davenport, where he has since lived retired in the enjoyment of
well earned rest.
 On the 30th of June, 1870, Mr. Grieve was united in marriage to Miss
Margaret Lang, a native of Long Grove, Iowa, and a daughter of John and
Margaret (Young) Lang., who lived to celebrate their sixtieth wedding
anniversary. At that time the following article appeared in the Davenport
paper: "Surrounded by their seven children Mr. and Mrs. John Lang, of 1411
Le Claire street, on Tuesday evening quietly celebrated their sixtieth
wedding anniversary. Supper was served at seven o'clock and the only persons
at the table except Mr. and Mrs. Lang and their children were Galvin Lang,
of Brooklyn, Iowa, a brother of Mr. Lang, and Thomas Grieve, of Davenport, a
son-in-law. It is a curious fact that on March 6th Mr. and Mrs. Galvin Lang
celebrated their golden wedding anniversary at Brooklyn, Iowa, and there is
just ten years' difference in the age of the brothers, John being the elder.
Mr. and Mrs. Lang were born in Scotland in the year 1824. Mr. Lang's birth
occurring on the 15th of April, while his wife's natal day was February
27th. They were married in Scotland in 1846 and the following year emigrated
to America, locating in Pennsylvania, where Mr. Lang followed the carpenter'
s trade for four years. On the expiration of that period, in 1851, he came
to Scott county, Iowa, settling on a farm a quarter of a mile east of
Eldridge. In 1886, having accumulated a handsome competence through the
careful conduct of his agricultural interests, he left the farm and has
since lived retired in Davenport. Unto him and his wife were born ten
children, three of whom have passed away. Those who still survive are as
follows: Mrs. Thomas Grieve and Mrs. Agnes Brownlie, who live in Davenport,
Mrs. William Hall, Mrs. John Howe, Mrs. R. J. Breckenridge and J. B. Lang,
all of whom reside in Brooklyn, Iowa; and Galvin J. Lang, of Des Moines. Mr.
and Mrs. John Lang have since been called to their final rest, Mr. Lang
passing away on the 1st of July, 1909, at the age of eighty-five years,
while his wife died on the 22d of November following. Mr. and Mrs. Grieve
became the parents of four children, the record of whom is as follows.
Margaret, the first born, died at the age of three years. John, who makes
his home in Washington, wedded Miss Nellie Halling, by whom he has two
children, Wallace and Bruce. Jennie, who gave her hand in marriage to
Alexander Shadbolt, of Sioux City, Iowa is the mother of one child, Mark;
Edward T., living in Brooklyn, Iowa, married Miss Zella Frizzell.
 Mr. Grieve is a faithful member of the Christian church in Davenport and
formerly belonged to the church of that denomination at Long Grove, serving
as one of its deacons for a number of years. The period of his residence in
Scott county covers two-thirds of a century and he has been an interested
witness of the transformation that has been wrought as pioneer conditions
have given way before the onward march of civilization. He is now in the
seventy-second year of his age and that his life has ever been upright and
honorable is indicated by the fact that the associates of his boyhood and
youth are still numbered among his stanch friends and admirers.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann



Return to History Index Page