1879, Eugene, Ringgold County, Iowa
FIRE at EUGENE
Eugene had an $8,000 blaze on Monday. The post-office and store were completely devoured by the fiery demon, leaving Mr. SWAIN to view the pile of ashes that once constituted his magnificent stock of goods. The fire is said to have originated in a defective flue, and as everything was dry as tinder, very little could be done to save either the building or its contents. We were told that the house and goods were insured for $3,000.
Submitted by Sharon R. Becker, 2007