Visit the USGenWeb Project Website Visit the IAGenWeb Project Website

 What's New

Coordinator Contact

About Us

Return to the Home Page
Contact the Ringgold Cemeteries
Census the Ringgold Counties
 Ringgold County Churches
family pages links to family
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Copyright Statement
History Ringgold County
Ringgold County IAGenWeb History-Biographies Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Lookups
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Mailing Lists
Ringgold County Maps IAGenWeb Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Messageboards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Military
Ringgold County IAGenWeb News Clippings
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Obituaries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Penny Post Cards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Photographs
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Queries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Site Map
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Surnames
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Front Porch

This site is supported by
Friends of IAGenWeb
   

powered by FreeFind
 
    

 

AMERICAN LEGION AUXILLIARY

Emmett Liles Unit 541, Ellston, Iowa

The Emmett Liles Unit 541 American Legion Auxilliary was organized on September 12, 1912 with the following charter members:

Mrs. John BARNSMrs. Harold CLOUGHMrs. H. E. HAGEMAN
Mrs. Harry HOFFMiss Juanita HOFFMrs. Ellis JOHNSTON
Mrs. Luther JOHNSTONMrs. Dick TREICKLERMrs. Ike TREICKLER
Mrs. J. M. TREICKLERMiss Mary WALTERSMrs. Bunker WALTERS
Mrs. Ray WALTERSMrs. B. S. HARRIMAN 

  The charter came on January 1st of 1922, and the following officers were elected:

Mrs. Luther JOHNSTON, president
Mrs. Bunker WALTERS, vice-president
Mrs. John BARNS, secretary
Mrs. H. E. HAGEMAN, treasurer
Mrs. Harry HOFF, chaplin
Mrs. Ike TREICKLER, historian

In 1922, six new members joined the unit.

The first meetings were held in the Opera House. In 1923, the Legion purchased a vacant brick building which was cleaned and remodeled.

The Legion and Auxilliary are responsible for the Memorial Day program. They are also responsible for the placement of evergreen wreaths used at the Ellston, Oliver, and Pumptown Cemeteries, along with the placement of flags on the veterans' gravesites for Memorial Weekend.

The Junior Auxilliary group was organized on October 19, 1956 with sixteen charter members:
Margaret Ann ASHLEYSandra COLLIERJudith Ann FEEBACK
Jeanine Kay JACKSONSandra Lee JACKSONPaula MAHRENHOLZ
Terry MASONCarol McMILLIONMira McMILLION
Kay SCHAEFERMargaret Ann WALTERSMary Alice WALTERS
 Terry WALTERS 

  The Junior Auxilliary sponsored many community events such as the annual Easter egg hunt, Christmas toys for orphans, singing Christmas carols for shut-ins, and selling poppies on Poppy Day.

Mrs. Anna LILES was the only Gold Star Mother of the Auxilliary. She was the mother of George Emmet LILES for whom the unit was named.

During the spring of 1949, the present Legion Hall was built.

In 1953, the Auxilliary held a "Welcome Home" dance for PFC Robert MAHRENHOLZ, the son of Mrs. Ena HOFF. PFC MAHRENHOLZ was a World War II and Korean War Veteran. He was captured on April 23, 1951, and held as a prisoner of war for 28 months until his release on August 21, 1953.

SOURCE: CLOUGH, Dora. "American Legion Auxilliary" A Century of Memories: Ellston, Iowa 1881 - 1981 Pp. 222-3. 1981.

Transcription by Sharon R. Becker, April of 2010


Thank You for stopping by!



© Copyright 1996-
Ringgold Co. IAGenWeb Project
All rights Reserved.