Lotts Creek Township, Ringgold County, Iowa
Photograph contributor RB
Originally called Schooler Grove in the 1840's after Charles Harrison SCHOOLER, Ringgold City was the first settlement in
Ringgold County. When SCHOOLER's wife and infant daughter
Manoah B. died, SCHOOLER established the first cemetery in Ringgold County. Laid out as a town in 1855, the same year as
when Ringgold County was organized, Ringgold City was located on the
Dragoon Trace, a natural trail through the county and one that had been used by the Native Americans and later the
Many of the funerals were held in either the homes or at the
Ringgold Evangelical Church.
Although there were high hopes for the settlement in anticipation of a railroad line and from traffic
off the Dragoon Trace, Ringgold City was never more than a hamlet. Ringgold City's post office was in operation from
1860 to 1908. When it became apparent that the railroad would never pass
through Ringgold City, the settlement began to decline.
The church was torn down in 1939 with the materials used to build a new
Assembly of God Church at Redding.
The school closed in the 1950's.
Ringgold Cemetery is located north of county highway J-67 in Lotts Creek Township, Ringgold County, Iowa near the
Iowa-Missouri border [Sec 21, R29, T67]. Some of the gravesites are marked with field stones.
Feature Name: Ringgold Cemetery
Feature Type: cemetery
USGS 7.5' x 7.5' Map: Hatfield
Map provided by google maps
RINGGOLD CEMETERY INTERMENTS:
Ringgold Cemetery Transcriptions
with links to gravestone photographs, biographies, family pages, and obituaries
Ringgold Cemetery page
at IAGenWeb's Gravestone Photograph Project.
Early Ringgold Cemetery interments may be found
on WPA’s searchable database for Ringgold County located at:
To submit your photographs to the IAenWeb Gravestone Photo Project, click on link directly
above, or go to IAGenWeb Gravestone Photo Project’s submission page