Return to the Pottawattamie Co. home page. |  1891 Biography Home  |  Name Index  
Welicome to the 1891 Biographical History of Pottawattamie County






Q  through  R

 

Quick, W. S.


W.S. QUICK, one of the best and most favorably known citizens of Hardin Township, was born in Rockingham County, Virginia, August 15, 1818, a son of William Quick who served in the war of 1812 and Elizabeth (Trout) Quick. He was 7 years old when his parents removed to Licking County, Ohio, in pioneer days. William and five brothers drew by hand a light wagon, loaded with household goods. Mr. W.S. Quick, our subject, saw the first shovelful of dirt thrown on beginning the construction of the Erie Canal, by Governor Trumbull of Ohio. He was brought up on a pioneer farm, clearing ground in the forest.
After his marriage in 1856, he came to Iowa, settling at Winterset, Madison County, for three years. Then he went to Pike's Peak with an ox team, in search of gold; next he was engaged in freighting from Des Moines and Plattsmouth to Denver; then conducted a hotel at Denver and also entered the mercantile trade; removed to Omaha and then to Council Bluffs, engaging in the livery business, in buying and shipping grain, and in general merchandise. One season (1865) he drove a herd of 600 cattle to Chicago. He settled upon his present farm in 1881, which he had purchased previously in 1872. Here he has built two good houses, a barn 42 X 50 and other buildings, and planted a fine orchard and grove of ornamental trees. He and his son are partners in the farm and the store, in which they carry a full line of general merchandise, and have an extensive trade. The farm at present comprises 280 acres of well improved and well stocked land. In his political views, Mr. Quick is a Democrat. While in Council Bluffs he was Alderman for three years. He was initiated as a Free Mason in 1848 at Bellefontaine, Ohio.
When 24 years of age, Mr. Quick married Miss Angeline Effinger, who was born at Newmarket, Virginia, and they have two children; Elias Jefferson, now in partnership with his father; and Cornelius S., a banker at Indianola, Red Willow County, Nebraska. Mrs. Quick died in October 1885, and April 28, 1889, Mr. Quick married for his present wife Miss Amelia Hampton and by this marriage there are two children - Gertrude and Howard.
Elias J. Quick, just mentioned, was born in Licking county, Ohio, and was 11 years of age when his parents came to this state and 14 years old when he went to Denver. He attended school in Ohio, in Iowa, at Denver and at Council Bluffs and by actual practice obtained his business training. He was married in February 1873 at Council Bluffs to Miss Elizabeth Thomas, who was born in Wales, daughter of John and Elizabeth Thomas. They have 8 children: Anna Caravena, George, Cornelius, Tilly, William T., Jay, Elizabeth and Mabel. Mr. Quick is a Democrat in his political sympathies. He was appointed postmaster of Quick postoffice in 1884 under President Arthur.



Quick, William

WILLIAM QUICK, an enterprising and successful young farmer of Wright Township, has been a resident of Pottawattamie County Iowa since he was a small boy. He was born in Ohio in August 1865, son of Jasper and Jane Quick, natives of Pennsylvania and Ohio respectively. When quite young, he came with his parents to Waveland Township, this county, where he grew up on a farm and received a limited education. He early learned habits of industry, honesty and perseverance - factors in a young man's character which will always insure success. His parents had 8 children, 3 sons and 5 daughters, he being the first born. For some time he worked out by the month.
March 10, 1887, Mr. Quick married Emeline Pierson, a native of Pottawattamie County, daughter of Granville and Elizabeth Pierson. Her father is an old settler of this county and a veteran of the Mexican and Civil Wars. After his marriage, Mr. Quick lived in Waveland Township one year. The farm on which he now lives, 80 acres on section 12, Wright Township, he purchased from E.R. Pierson. With his characteristic go-aheadativeness, he set about improving the farm at once; finished the house, built stables, cribs, granary, made stock lots and put up a modern wind pump, besides many other improvements in the way of fencing, etc. He is cultivating 320 acres, having rented a large track of land. He has 65 head of cattle, 100 hogs and 4 horses. Mr. Quick is a good judge of cattle and a successful breeder of the same. He and his wife have one daughter, Florence May.




Rainbow, James


JAMES RAINBOW, section 24, Silver Creek Township, is a wel known and representative citizen of this community . He came here in 1875 and has since made Pottawattamie county his home. MR. RAINBOW was born near York, Yorkshire England, March 16, 1826. His parents, JONAH and SARAH RAINBOW, were natives of Yorkshire. James was reared on a farm, but at an early age he engaged as porter and clerk in a hotel which occupation he followed several years. He worked at some of the fashionable watering resorts on the coast, where he saw much high life among the titled aristocrats of England. At the age of 24 years, he came to America and was employed for a time in a hotel at Rochester, New York. Later he went to Lyons and Avon Springs, Western New York. In Western New York, he was engaged in hotel work and spent some time in a nursery. While there he took active interest in horticulture, and the knowledge thus gained proved of much value to him in after life. In 1856 he came to Iowa City, then the capital of Iowa, where he engaged in the livery business. Next he turned his attention to the nursery business again and later was employed by W.B. DANIELS, a prominent merchant. In 1867 he moved to Iowa County and at Genoa Bluff again entered the nursery business. In 1875, as stated at the beginning of this sketch, he came to Pottawattamie Co. Previous to this time, in 1856, he had entered 120 acres of Government land here, and to this he added 80 acres more, which he acquired by purchase, making 200 acres in one body. During the 15 years of his residence here, Mr. RAINBOW has improved his farm and now has one of the best in the neighborhood. It is well adapted for both grain and stock and his orchard of 4 acres ranks with the best in the county. Mr. RAINBOW takes an active interest in the horticultural affairs of Pottawattamie County. He has done much to promote the fruit interests of his section, and no one is considered a better judge of fruits than JAMES RAINBOW. He has a good frame house, situated on a natural building site. All the out-buildings, wind-mill and fences and everything about the premises indicate thrift and prosperity. Mr. RAINBOW was married at Honey Falls, New York, to ELIZA GOODY a native of England, and a daughter of JAMES and SARAH GOODY. They have 7 children, viz.: James J., formerly a successful teacher, now a resident of northern Iowa where he is engaged in the dairy business; Sarah, Robert, Louisa, William, Lizzie and John. Politically Mr. RAINBOW is a Republican. He has served on both petit and grand juries frequently, and has been elected to several township offices, the duties of which he performed with credit to himself and for the best interests of the public. He is a member of the Episcopal Church. Mr. RAINBOW has been honored in many ways by his friends and party. He was a delegate to the Farmers' Alliance State Convention, October 1890 and was one of the honored citizens who went to Denver, Colorado, at the time of the Farmers' Congress. He was one of the most liberal donators to the decorations of Council Bluffs, in September 1890, when the Farmers' Congress met there. He is a gentleman well informed on all general topics, and is broad and progressive in his views. He is honored and esteemed by all who know him.




Randall, Abel A.


ABEL A. RANDALL, a prominent farmer of Knox Township, came from Virginia in 1859 and settled at Newton, Iowa. His father came with his family the same year and settled on 160 acres at Newton and 120 at Highland Grove. Jacob RANDALL, the grandfather of our subject, was a farmer of Hardy County, West Virginia, all his life, dying at the age of eighty-one years. He was a member of the Methodist Church and was the father of twelve children: Catherine, Ruth, Elizabeth, Margaret, Rebecca, Jemima, Asenath, Amelia, Abel, Silas, Mary and Tabitha. Abel RANDALL was born in Hardy County, West Virginia, in October 1803, and learned farming and blacksmithing in early life. He was married in his native county to Mary GAILEY of Irish Descent, and they had seven children: Jacob Y., deceased; George W., deceased; Asenath T., Mary R., Isaac D. deceased, and Margaret A. After marriage, Mr. RANDALL settled on the old homestead, where he remained until 1859, and where he followed blacksmithing part of the time. Both he and his wife were members of the Methodist Church, but later in life joined the United Brethren Church, in which the former was a local preacher, class leader and steward. In West Virginia, he held the office of Justice of the Peace for many years. He died at the age of seventy-seven years, having lived from 1864 to 1868 (NOTE TO RESEARCHERS: This is obviously an error in dates.) in Washington County, Iowa. He was a good, substantial farmer, a law-abiding citizen, and a man of integrity of character.

Abel A. RANDALL, our subject, was born in Hardy County, West Virginia, July 3, 1838, and was twenty-one years of age when he came with is father to Iowa. After his marriage, he settled one-half of a mile east of Newton, where he remained until 1879. In that year, he moved to his present farm of eighty acres. He lived in Washington County four years before his marriage, and served as Township Trustee. In his political principles, he is a Republican.

Mr. RANDALL was married February 22, 1870 to Emma SINCLAIR, daughter of James A. and Martha (ADKISSON) SINCLAIR. The father settled in Newton, Pottawattamie County, in 1854, and was the father of six children: Cora A., Emma M., James L., Ada A., Frank E., and Foy. The father has been Justice of the Peace, Supervisor, and Township Clerk, and also School Clerk of his county. Both he and his wife are members of the United Brethren Church, in which he is class-leader, steward and trustee. He is still living, at the age of nearly sixty years. Mr. And Mrs. RANDALL are the parents of five children, only two of whom survived: Effie L. and James Edward.




Rankin, S. L.


S.L. RANKIN is one of the intelligent, enterprising and successful citizens of Grove Township. He has been a resident of Pottawattamie County and identified with its best interests for the past seventeen years, having come to this place in 1873. He was born in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, February 27, 1849. His father, Archibald RANKIN, was born in Pennsylvania and grandfather RANKIN was a native of Ireland, born of Irish parents. His mother, nee Jane BREWSTER, also a native of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, was of Irish ancestry. Mr. And Mrs. RANKIN were the parents of nine children, three sons and six daughters, all of whom are now (1890) living except two daughters, and all are in Allegheny County, except John and S.L., who are in Grove Township, this county. The parents passed their lives in Pennsylvania and died there, the father at the age of fifty-two and the mother at the age of sixty-four years. Mr. RANKIN was an honest tiller of the soil all his life, and in politics he was a Democrat. His wife was a member of the United Presbyterian Church and reared her children in the Christian faith.

S.L. RANKIN worked on the farm and received his education in the public schools of his native county. In 1868, at the age of nineteen years, he came west and settled in Iroquois County, Illinois, where he engaged in farm work. In that county he married Miss Linda DOWNEY, a lady of intelligence and refinement, who was born in Wayne County, New York. Her parents, Titus and Sally (COLE) DOWNER, both natives of Vermont, were married in the Green Mountain State and subsequently removed to St. Lawrence County, New York, and afterward went to Wayne County. When Mrs. RANKIN was about six years of age, they removed to Oneida County, same state, where they passed the rest of their lives, the mother dying at the age of forty-eight years and the father at sixty-seven. The DOWNEY family were Methodists. Mr. DOWNEY was an iron manufacturer and in politics he was a Republican. Mrs. RANKIN removed to Illinois one year previous to her marriage.

In 1873 the subject of this sketch settled on his present farm when the land was wild. Here he has since resided and has made many improvements in his property. He now owns 213 acres of land, of which 143 acres are in Grove Township and the rest in Carson Township. His comfortable frame house is situated on a natural building site and is surrounded by shade trees. He is engaged in general farming and stock-raising, and his farm is well supplied with suitable out-buildings and modern improvements for conducting agricultural pursuits in the most approved manner.

Mr. And Mrs. RANKIN have four children: Warren, Edna J., Lulu May, and Edith Belle. May Eleanor, their first born, died at the age of three years and seven months; and Samuel, the second child, at the age of sixteen months. Mr. RANKIN is a man in the prime of life; is frank and cordial in manner and address, and honorable in all his business transactions. Politically he is a Democrat.




Read, Samuel R.


SAMUEL R. READ, of section 31, Carson Township, came to this county in 1881. He was born in the Hoosier State, October 12, 1850, son of Nathan and Malinda (VAN SCOY) READ, the former a native of Virginia and the latter of Ohio. They had five sons and two daughters, of whom S.R. was the fourth child; two of his brothers, Smith and Jesse READ, are prominent and well-known businessmen of Dunlap, Iowa. Our subject was a small boy when his father settled in Bureau County, Illinois, and was fifteen years of age when his father moved to Cerro Gordo County, Iowa, where they were early settlers. The mother died when Samuel was but seven or eight years old, in Illinois, and the father is now a resident of Iowa, making his home in Malvern with his son Carson. The subject of this sketch passed his youth in Cerro Gordo County. They moved in 1874 to Mills County, near Malvern, where he lived until 1881. In that year, he came to Pottawattamie County and purchased eighty acres of wild land, which he has since improved. He is engaged in general farming and stock raising, making a specialty of thoroughbred stock. He has a thoroughbred Clyde horse, which is among the best draft horses in the county. It was brought from Canada and weighs 1,835 pounds; he has also a Mammoth Jack, which is one of the best in western Iowa. Mr. READ is a practical farmer and a successful horseman.

He married Miss Julia M., daughter of Robert L. and Margaretta (LaFEVER) BUSHNELL. She was born in Rock County, Wisconsin, and her parents were natives of New York City. Mr. And Mrs. READ have five children: Alice L., Ervin E., Nettie, Margaretta and baby, Joy. They have lost one by death, Minard, who died when a babe of eleven months; he was the fourth child. Politically Mr. READ is a Republican, and both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of which they are active workers, and Mrs. READ is a teacher in the Sabbath school.




Reed, Joseph R.


HON. JOSEPH R. REED of Council Bluffs is of Scotch-Irish ancestry and a descendant of those hardy Scotch-Irish Presbyterians, so prominent in the early history of Pennsylvania and elsewhere in the United States. Joseph Reed, the great-grandfather of our subject, came to Pennsylvania in an early day, settling in Chanceford, York County. He was a man of more than ordinary ability; was a Colonel in the Revolutionary War; a member of the Pennsylvania Legislature, and introduced measures for the manumission of the slaves in that state, which was adopted about 1793-94. He was a farmer, landowner and miller. His wife was a worthy and resolute woman and during her husband's absence in the army, she ran the mill and ground flour to feed the army. Both he and his wife were Presbyterians, and had a large family, among whom was James REED, the grandfather of our subject. The latter removed to Washington County, Pennsylvania, where he engaged in farming. He married Elizabeth REED, a distant relative to her husband, and they had four sons and two daughters.

One son, William REED, the father of our subject, was a farmer by occupation and was married in Washington county, Pennsylvania, to Roseanna LYLE, daughter of Robert LYLE. The latter was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. In 1829 William REED moved to Ohio and settled in what is now Ashland County, near the present village of McKay, where he cleared a farm, and where both he and his wife lived until death. They had three sons and three daughters who grew to maturity, namely: James O., a farmer in his youth and later a teacher, and who died on his farm in St. Landry Parish, Louisiana; Sarah J., who resides with her brother, Judge REED, in Council Bluffs; Hon. James R., our subject; Elizabeth wife of Rev. D.A. NEWELL of Wooster, Ohio; William, a merchant at Loudonville, Ohio; Rosanna, wife of Jesse R. HISSEM, also of Loudonville.

Hon. Joseph R. REED was born on the old homestead in Ashland County, Ohio, March 12, 1835. He was educated in the common schools and at the Vermillion Institute at Hayesville, Ohio. He removed to Iowa in March 1857 settling at Adel, Dallas County, where he taught school and also studied law. He was admitted to the bar in 1859, and immediately began practice at that place, continuing until the outbreak of the late war. He enlisted in July 1861, as First Lieutenant in the 2d Iowa Battery, and served until July 1865; in 1864 he was promoted Captain of the battery.

At the close of the war, Mr. REED returned to Adel, Iowa, where he resumed the practice of law. He was elected a State Senator in 1865, and served in the 11th and 12th General Assemblies and in the summer of 1869 removed to this city where he has since resided. September 1, 1872, he was appointed Judge of the District Court, and served as such until January 1884; from January 1884 to March 1, 1889, he served as Judge of the Supreme Court and in November 1888 was elected a member of the 51st Congress.

Judge REED was united in marriage November 1, 1865, at Ashland, Ohio, to Jenette DINSMORE, a daughter of James A. DINSMORE, of Ashland County. Mrs. REED died in July 1887. She was a member of the Presbyterian Church. Politically Judge REED has always been a Republican, socially a Mason, and a member of the Excelsior Lodge of Council Bluffs.



Reed, Jacob I.


JACOB I. REED, a prominent farmer of Pottawattamie county, first came to Council Bluffs in 1854 when the town contained only log houses. His great-grandfather, Jacob REED, came from Scotland and settled in South Carolina long before the Revolutionary war. His son, Jacob REED, the grandfather of our subject, was born in that State and was a captain in the war of the Revolution, and received a land warrant. He was married in his native state to Mary SMITH, and to them were born 9 children: Enos, Rebecca, Wilburn, Harper, Francis, Jackson, Joseph, Mary and Ozie. After these children had reached maturity, Mr. REED moved to Rush County, Indiana, about 1817 and settled on a farm near Rushville. In 1842 he moved to Mercer County, Illinois, where he died in 1853 at about 80 years of age. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and was a devoted Christian. He was also an educated man, and taught school until he was 74 years of age, having taught in one building for five years.

Enos REED, the father of our subject, was born in South Carolina and was 23 years of age when his father moved to Indiana with his large family. He was married in Rush County, that state, to Elizabeth RISHLING, daughter of Fredrick and Catharine (BOUSEMAN) RISHLING. The father was of German descent and was an old settler of Rush County. He was the father of six children, viz.: Fredrick, Catherine, Elizabeth, George, William and Samuel. After marriage Mr. REED settled on a farm in Rush county, and was the father of 9 children, namely: Emily, George, Jacob, Edner, Mary, Enos, Marion, Emeline and Elizabeth. The father was a county judge of his county for several years. He removed to Illinois and settled on a farm where he spent the remainder of his life. He was a devout member of the Baptist Church and held several church offices. At one time he had a handsome property, but lost it all in the cattle business. He lived to the age of 54 years, dying in Mercer County, Illinois.

His son, Jacob I., the subject of this sketch, was born November 26, 1830, in Rushville, Indiana, and was but 11 years of age when his parents removed to Illinois. He remained on a farm in Mercer County until 1861 when he came to Pottawattamie County, Iowa. He lived for two years south of Oakland, then came to the northeast corner of what was then Big Grove, where he remained 19 years. In 1882 he settled on his present farm of 200 acres.
He was married in Mercer County, in 1861, to Hannah J. SHERER, daughter of Robert SHERER. He was the father of three children: Eunice, Margaret, and Hannah J. To Mr. and Mrs. Reed were born ten children, namely: Adaline, May S., Margaret, Robert, George, John, Albert, Irvin, Harry and Jennie M. The mother was a member of the Presbyterian Church in Illinois, but joined the Methodist Church in Iowa. She died in March 1890 at age 58 years, and was a faithful and devoted wife and mother. She was a helpmate to her husband, having labored with him to build up a home in the wilderness of Iowa. Robert REED, their eldest son, died very suddenly in August 1890, at age 28 years. This was a sad blow to Mr. REED, following so closely the death of his wife. Mr. REED is a man of honor and integrity, and has done his full share toward building up and developing this township. He has taken an active interest in the schools, having acted as school director and trustee. Socially he is an Odd Fellow.




Reel, Clay D.


CLAY D. REEL, a miller on Pigeon Creek, Pottawattamie County, was born in Crescent Twp, this county, July 21, 1867. His grandparents came from Virginia to Indiana in 1822 were farmers by occupation and remained resident in Indiana the rest of their days. Mr. PERRY REEL, Clay's father, was born in Putnam County, Indiana, July 9, 1839, and came to Pottawattamie County with his parents in 1852, they having taken up claims which they afterward bought. Mr. REEL remained here until his death, leaving 7 children, viz.: Mary, Martha, Ella, Nancy (deceased), Sarah, Perry and William, who resides in Montana. Mr. REEL was married in 1862 to Miss MILLIE BRANSON, daughter of JONATHAN BRANSON; she was born in 1846 Leaving home Mr. REEL bought a grist-mill on Pigeon Creek, which he ran in connection with his farm. The old home place he brought to its present perfection. He held al the offices of the township with satisfaction to his fellow citizens, was a straight Democrat, was elected Sheriff and re-elected in 1869. His term expiring in 1872, he returned to his farm and in 1873 was elected County treasurer, and re-elected once. In 1877 he was again elected sheriff, and re-elected to this office again. He was without exception the most prominent man in the county, upright in his dealings and liberal and too much cannot be said in his praise. He had a fine farm, well stocked. He died in political life, December 10, 1889, having had five children: Dora, Emma, Clay, Rose and Perry. Mr. CLAY D. REEL completed his school course in Council Bluffs. At the age of 22 years, April 1, 1890, he married Miss ANNIE WALKER, daughter of WILLIAM L. WALKER, a native of Pennsylvania, who ultimately removed to Iowa. He had 8 children: Annie, John, Harry, Maria, Effie, Orval, Bessie and Kittie; the last mentioned is deceased. Mrs. REEL was born August 15, 1869 finished her education in the high school at Des Moines and taught school three years. After his marriage, Mr. REEL rented a house in Crescent Township near the old home place, where he now lives. He is engaged in running a flouring-mill on Pigeon Creek, which now has the roller process and all the latest improvements. At the time of his father's death, he was enjoying a private retired life where there was a fine orchard of four acres. Lately a post office named REEL has been established at that point. Mr. REEL is a high-minded and popular citizen.




Reichart, E.


E. REICHART, grain dealer at Neola, was born June 4, 1845, son of Henry and Catharine (GAYTROSS) REICHART. The father was born in Pennsylvania, of German parentage, the fourth of eight children, was reared to farm life and continued at his parental home until he was twenty-five years of age, and then for fifteen years he was engaged in the butcher's trade. In 1869 he came to Pottawattamie County, settling upon eighty acres on section 16, Norwalk Township, and there he resided until his death, November 4, 1885, when he was about eighty-six years of age. His wife died in September 1871, aged fifty-five years. They had six children, namely: Caroline, Sarah E., the subject of this sketch was the third, George, Samuel, and Jacob.

Mr. REICHART, our subject, was also brought up as a farmer's son. At the age of nineteen, he left home and soon, May 22, 1861, enlisted in Company C, 143rd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and was taken with a detached force to Harrisburg, that state, and through New York to enforce the draft. They then joined the Army of the Potomac, first under General McClellan and then under General Meade, engaging in the celebrated battle of Gettysburg, the hardest fought battle of the war. Mr. REICHART was captured and held two days. Rejoining his regiment at Fairfax, he was afterward engaged at Culpeper, where he remained in camp some time. He was also at Laurel Hill, where he received a wound in the leg. He was then sent to a hospital in Philadelphia. Two months afterward, he obtained a furlough. Four months after that, he rejoined his regiment at Petersburg. At the surrender of that place, he was detailed with others to convey prisoners to New York, and while on their way between Washington and Baltimore, they received the news of the assassination of President Lincoln, and they were consequently stationed four days at Washington. After delivering the prisoners at New York, they returned to Washington and were placed in review. They then visited White Haven, Pennsylvania, and were taken to Harrisburg, where they were mustered out, June 19, 1865. In 1863, just after the battle of Gettysburg, Mr. REICHART was promoted to Orderly Sergeant.

After visiting home a short time, he landed at Council Bluffs, August 12, in company with four other young men, and for a year worked for Mr. GARNER of Garner Township, for $25 a month. In June 1867, he married and moved upon a farm of 120 acres on sections 16 and 21, Norwalk Township, which he had purchased the preceding year, and here he began life anew. At that time, there were no improvements on the place, and the nearest neighbor was four miles distant. He put up a frame house 14 X 24 feet in dimensions and the necessary farm buildings, fences, etc., and planed a grove. Here he raised grain and stock, dealing in the latter considerably, with success. In 1879 he moved into Neola and engaged in the hardware business, renting his farm; in 1871 he sold the farm and bought the hardware store and three lots, on which he built a residence and where he now resides. The hardware trade he conducted for about eleven years, transacting an annual business of $35,000 to $40,000; and then he exchanged the stock and business for 320 acres of land in Nebraska, with the livestock and grain that was upon it. A year subsequently, he disposed of this and went into the grain business, which he carries on extensively, handling about 265,000 bushels a year, his crib having a capacity of 100,000 bushels.

Mr. REICHART is a thorough Democrat; has held the various offices of Neola and Norwalk townships; was elected the first Justice of the Peace of Norwalk Township, a member of the first Board of Supervisors, a member of the first town council of Neola, the third Mayor of the town, a member of the first Board of Education of the independent district, and for the past eight years has been Township Clerk. During his mayoralty bonds for water works were issued.

Mr. REICHART is a breeder of fine horses, the Norman and Clydesdale; of these he has twenty-seven head. He deals also extensively in pure bred Poland-China hogs, and in agricultural implements. In the latter, he is in partnership with his brother. June 19, 1867, Mr. REICHART married Eliza Jane RITTER of Pottawattamie County, who was born in 1850, daughter of Adam and Nancy (WARD) RITTER, natives of Virginia, who came to Iowa in 1837 and were the parents of nine children. Mrs. REICHART, the fifth in the above family, was reared as a farmer's daughter. By this marriage, there have been four children: Laura, deceased; Caroline, who resides at home; and Sarah and Lizzie, deceased.




Reimer, Max


MAX REIMER, one of the prominent German farmers of Walnut, Iowa, was born in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, October 26, 1844, the son of Ditlof REIMER, who was a prominent German farmer. He died at the age of fifty-one years, when our subject was but two years old. His wife, nee Mary REIMER, was of the same name, but of a different family. They had five children: Katie, Maggie, Mary, George and Max. Katie was married in Germany to Claus ROCH, a wealthy farmer of Clinton County, Iowa, and came to America in 1857. They had one son, named John. She died in 1864, and the remainder of the family are still in Germany.

Max REIMER, our subject, came to America in 1866, at the age of twenty-one years, landing at New York from the English steamer Superior. He sailed from Holstein, and was four months on the way. He came direct to Iowa and engaged in farm work in Clinton County, and also in the brewery at Lyons for seven years. In 1874 he came to Pottawattamie County, where he bought 160 acres of wild land, which, by industry and hard work he has converted into a fine, fertile farm, and to which he has wisely added until he now owns 320 acres, and where he has a fine barn costing $1,000, a good house and windmill and many other improvements. Mr. REIMER is a trustee of his township, and stands high as a citizen of sterling worth whose word is as good as his bond. Politically he is a Democrat, and both he and his wife are members of the Lutheran Church. He is a self-made man, having by his own industry made his property in America, having had but $9 when he landed. He well illustrates what good, honest, hard work will do in America.

He was married in Lyons, October 21, 1871, to Maggie ROONA, daughter of John and Elizabeth (FRAHAN) ROONA. The father was a native of Germany, was a well educated man and a school-teacher in Holstein. He died in this county, and was the father of four children: Katie, Annie (who died in Germany), Maggie and George. All of the children came to America. Mrs. ROONA came in 1884, and is living with her son-in-law, the subject of this sketch, at the age of eighty years. Her daughter, Maggie, now Mrs. REIMER, was born August 4, 1850, and came to America in the spring of 1869. To Mr. and Mrs. REIMER have been born nine children, six of whom are now living: Henry W., Emil W., Alvenia M., Bernhart, Katie P. and Annie.




Reynolds, Columbus


COLUMBUS REYNOLDS is another one of the enterprising and successful men of Pottawattamie County. A brief outline of his life is herewith given.

Mr. REYNOLDS is a native of North Carolina, born near Sparta, the county seat of Alleghany County, November 12, 1848. His father, William REYNOLDS, and his grandfather, Thomas REYNOLDS, were both natives of that State. His mother, nee Nancy SPURLING, was born in North Carolina, as also was her father, William SPURLING. Her grandfather SPURLING was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. Willson and Nancy REYNOLDS reared five children, four sons and one daughter; Columbus is the only one in Iowa; the oldest brother resides in Nebraska; two are in North Carolina; and the sister died in that State. Willson REYNOLDS was a farmer all his life, and his death occurred at the age of seventy years. His wife was a devoted Christian and a member of the Baptist Church. She died at the age of sixty-eight.

The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm, and in early life was taught those lessons of honesty, industry and economy which have been so useful to him in after life. His early educational advantages were limited, but by reading, observation, and by the practical knowledge learned in the school of experience, he has amply supplied the deficiency of an early education. At the age of nineteen, he bade adieu to his native state and started out in the world to make a home and a fortune. He located in Whiteside County, Illinois, and after remaining there a year, he came to Iowa and worked on a farm in Hardin County a year. In 1868 he came to Grove Township, Pottawattamie County, and first worked by the month. Then he broke prairie for two seasons, which at that time was profitable business. In 1874 he bought eighty acres of raw prairie land, on which he now resides. He broke it the same season and has made many improvements on the place. He built a comfortable story and a half house at a cost of $1,200, planted shade and ornamental trees, a grove and an orchard; built a good barn and fenced his land. From time to time, he purchased other lands until at this writing (1890) he is the owner of 240 acres. One hundred sixty acres are in a body in sections 17 and 18. The other eighty acres, which he uses as a pasture for his stock, are a half mile northwest from his home. He is engaged in general farming and stock raising, feeding all the corn he raises to his stock and frequently buying more from his neighbors.

Mr. REYNOLDS was married, September 16, 1872, at Red Oak, Iowa, to Miss Sarah E. WILSON, a lady of culture and refinement and a successful teacher. She was born in Sullivan County, Indiana, and was reared and educated in Lee County, Iowa. Her parents, William and Anna (PEMBERTON) WILSON, the former a native of North Carolina, and the latter of Ohio, now reside in Nebraska. Mr. And Mrs. REYNOLDS have four children, viz.: Rosalie, Laura Jane, Anna Ethel and Isom Guy. Mr. REYNOLDS is a Republican and cast his first vote for General Grant. He and his wife are worthy members of the Christian Church and take an active part in religious and educational matters. Mr. REYNOLDS is a member of the I.O.O.F. Lodge No. 444, Carson, Iowa. Mr. REYNOLDS lost a brother in the Southern Army, and Mrs. REYNOLDS a brother in the Northern Army.

Note to researchers: In this biography, the father of Columbus Reynolds is named once as William Reynolds, then later as Willson Reynolds.




Reynolds, S. W.


S. W. REYNOLDS, contractor and builder, has his residence at No. 419 North Eighth Street, and his office at the corner of Sixteenth Street and Eighth Avenue. Mr. REYNOLDS was born in Brighton, Northumberland County, Canada, in May, 1840, son of Silas and Maria (POTTER) REYNOLDS, of English extraction and natives of New York State. Both are deceased. Mr. REYNOLDS lived in Canada until he was seventeen. He was reared on a farm, and at the age of fourteen entered upon an apprenticeship to the carpenter's trade. In 1857 he went to New York, and soon afterward, as first mate of a vessel, he sailed on the lakes, remaining thus employed for six years. From 1863 until 1868 he was in Saginaw, Michigan, engaged in the lumbering and carpentering business.

In 1868 he came to Council Bluffs and continued work at his trade. The next year he began to take contracts and since then has been engaged in contracting and building. He has also been interested in other enterprises. From 1872 until 1877 he dealt largely in lumber. He afterward erected buildings and placed a plant for sash, doors, blinds, etc., the establishment located on E Avenue, between Seventh and Eighth Streets. This he conducted some three years. Mr. REYNOLDS has erected a number of buildings in Council Bluffs, Omaha and vicinity, and has furnished a vast amount of employment for others, at some times having as many as seventy men in his employ. He is also an architect and drafts many of the buildings he constructs. In addition to seeing after the many details of his various enterprises, Mr. REYNOLDS also finds time to devote to journalistic work. He is a regular correspondent of the St. Louis Trade Journal, and occasionally writes for other papers. His political views are in harmony with Republican principles. He is a member of the V. A. S.

Mr. REYNOLDS was married in April 1868, to Ellen I. HOLLENBECK, who was born in Jackson County, Michigan, in 1846. They have had seven children: John H., Edith E., May, Arthur C., Wilbur G., Ethel L. and Warren W. May and Warren W. are deceased. The other children are at home. The family are associated with the First Baptist Church.



Reynolds, Simon


SIMON REYNOLDS, one of the best known and early pioneers of Pottawattamie County, was born in Chautauqua County, NY, July 10, 1837, son of Lewis and Alitha (WORSTER) REYNOLDS, both natives of New York state. Simon was but three years of age when his parents moved to LaPorte County, Indiana, where they remained 16 years. They then moved to Kankakee County, Illinois. Simon was reared and educated in LaPorte County, Indiana. The parents then came to Pottawattamie County, Iowa, in 1860 where they lived until their death. The father had been a farmer all his life, and in his political views was a Democrat. He died at the age of 84 years; the mother was a member of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church, and died at age 73 years.

In 1860, Simon REYNOLDS came to James Township, Pottawattamie County, and improved a farm of 50 acres in section 10, which he afterward sold. In 1878, he bought his present farm of 120 acres, which he has since improved until he now has one of the best farms in the county. He was one of the early settlers here, his nearest neighbor being 7 or 8 miles distant. Besides his general farming, he is also engaged in stock raising. Mr. REYNOLDS came to Iowa in 1854; was married August 24, 1862, to Amanda REDMAN, who was born at Dayton, Ohio. She was four years of age when her parents moved to Elkhart co, Indiana, at which place her father died. She was the daughter of Silas and Catharine (BUNNER) REDMAN, both natives of Virginia. When Mrs. REYNOLDS was ten years of age, her mother moved to Polk Co, Iowa, where her daughter was reared and educated. The mother is still living in that county, at age 74 years; religiously she is a member of the Methodist Church.

Mr. and Mrs. REYNOLDS have five children: Monroe F., a graduate of the Iowa Western Normal School, and formerly a successful teacher, now holds a position at Swift's packing house in Omaha; Arthur L., a carpenter in Oregon; Orpha C., wife of William WARNKE of Belknap Twp; Effie L. and Clarence, both at home. Politically Mr. REYNOLDS is a Republican and has served in most of his county's offices with credit. He and his wife and eldest son are members of the Christian Church. Mr. REYNOLDS is still in the prime of life, and takes an active interest in education and religion, in which he is ably encouraged by his faithful wife, who has proved a worthy helpmate and partner to her husband.



Rishton, Henry


HENRY RISHTON, one of the prominent citizens of York Township, was born in Lancashire, England, April 21, 1838, son of HENRY and MARY (BLAND) RISHTON, both natives of Lancashire, England. The father was born April 4, 1810, and died in Council Bluffs in 1885. He was the son of James Rishton who died in England at a ripe old age, and was a chemist by occupation. His son learned the block printer's trade when a young man, which he followed until he came to America in 1844, where he, in company with 11 others, was induced to come to Rhode Island and start a print works. He was one of the very first block printers to come to America, and in fact he and his companions were the very first. The family remained a year and a half in Rhode Island, then went to Fall River, Massachusetts. In 1850, with his family, he came to Council Bluffs, which was then known as Kanesville and which was a very small hamlet or trading post, made up of a few shanties. He bought a claim on Little Mosquito Creek, then called Macedonia Camp, five miles east of Council Bluffs. In 1857 he and his family came to where our subject now resides, and enclosed a half sction of wild land, which he afterward improved. He was a trustee of York Township, and when a young man in England, he was a member of the Odd Fellows Lodge. He and his wife were members of the church of the Latter Day Saints, but on coming to Council Bluffs, he changed his religion on account of polygamy. In politics he was a stanch Democrat and since reaching their majority his sons have all voted the Democratic ticket. His wife, MARY (BLAND) RISHTON, was born May 9, 1815, and is still living in Council Bluffs, and not over a year ago, danced with the subject of this sketch at a party given at his house. Her father was MILES BLAND, who died in England. He was a dealer in boots and shoes, and died in the same house where he was born, when 81 years of age. The family were members of the Baptist Church. Mr. and Mrs. RISHTON have 8 children living, viz.: Edward, a farmer of Riverton, South Jordan, 18 miles from Salt Lake City; Bland, a merchant in Council Bluffs; Thomas, a merchant of Council Bluffs; Emma, wife of WILLIAM H. MAXFIELD; James, a farmer and stock raiser of York Township; Eliza Jane, wife of WILLIAM ALTON, a rancher of Denison, Iowa; John, a rancher near the city of Spokane. HENRY RISHTON, our subject, spent his school days in Massachusetts, and a short time in Pottawattamie County. He remained at home until 21 years of age, and then rented a farm in this township for a number of years. In 1866 he bought 120 acres of land where he now lives, to which he has since added the remainder of 280 acres, of as good land as lies in the county. It is improved with a good residence, barns, and surrounded with shade and ornamental trees, fruit and flowers, and all that tends to make a home happy. He has served as Justice of the Peace three years and a half, twelve years as Road Supervisor, one year as Trustee, 20 years as School Director, and in 1884 was elected one of the County Commissioners, during the time the courthouse was built, which is one of the finest in the State. He is now Clerk of this township. His success in life is the result of his energy and business ability. March 1, 1860, he married Miss ADELINE CLOUGH, daughter of CALVIN CLOUGH. She was born in Lorain Co., Ohio, May 5, 1842, and died Sept 19, 1884. Her father was one of the first settlers and came from Cleveland, Ohio, to Council Bluffs, where he kept a grocery store in 1853. He was a native of New Hampshire and died in this county when 63 years of age. Mr. and Mrs. RISHTON have 7 children, of whom 6 are still living: Fred, the eldest; Belle, a teacher in York Township; Alpha, Howard H., Lida and Corinne at home. Florence May died when 16 years of age, Sept 17, 1877. April 8, 1886, Mr. RISHTON married AGNES FORSYTH, a daughter of JOHN and SUSAN FORSYTH. She was born in Dundee, Scotland, Oct 17, 1841, and came with her parents to Manchester, England, and when 10 years of age came to the United States, locating in St. Louis one winter and in 1851 came to Council Bluffs. She taught school in Council Bluffs over 20 years, and was principal for 14 years. She has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for quite a number of years. Mr. RISHTON is a Mason in good standing of Neola Lodge No. 423. He has crossed the Rocky Mountains six times, and in 1864 had a number of hair-breadth escapes from the Indians.




Riss, F. X.


F. X. RISS, contractor and builder, No. 410 North Sixth Street, Council Bluffs, is a native of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He was born April 14, 1860, the son of Anthony and Anna RISS who were of German descent. Mr. RISS remained in his native city until he was twelve years old. At that time, having lost his parents when he was quite young, he quitted Milwaukee and came to Council Bluffs with his uncle, Joseph PROBSTLE, a harness-maker. With his uncle, young RISS learned the trade of harness-making and worked at it three years. Then he turned his attention to the carpenter's trade, which was more congenial to his taste, and which he has since followed. He has assisted in the erection of many of the houses of Council Bluffs and in 1881, he commenced contracting and building for himself. He has owned several pieces of property, buying and selling as opportunity offered. His annual business averages $5,000. Mr. RISS is a Republican.

In 1881, Mr. RISS wedded Mary RYAN, who was born March 13, 1859. By his second marriage, he has three children, Nellie, Edward and Florence. The family are members of the Catholic Church. He is also a member of the Catholic Knights.



Ritter, Adam


ADAM RITTER, a well-known pioneer residing on section 16, Garner Township, first came here as early as June, 1846. He was born in Wythe County, West Virginia, July 24, 1812, a son of Michael and Phoebe (KETRON) RITTER, the father a native of Maryland and of German ancestry, and the mother a native of West Virginia and a daughter of Lawrence KETRON, a Pennsylvania German. Adam was seven years of age when his father moved to Burke's Garden, Tazewell County, Virginia, where he grew to manhood, employed in agricultural pursuits. In 1837 he married Nancy T. WARD, a woman who was born in that county, the daughter of Milton WARD, also of Virginia and of Martha, nee THOMPSON. In 1843 he moved to Hancock County, Illinois, settling at Macedonia, previously called Ramus. In the spring of 1846 he came by team and wagon to Council Bluffs, then a small village called Kanesville. About that time Colonel KANE raised a company for the Mexican War, called the Mormon Battalion. The same year Mr. RITTER settled on the land where he now lives, building a log cabin 12 x 14, with the old-fashioned fireplace, which structure still stands as an old landmark and relic of pioneer days; and ever since that date Mr. RITTER has steadily made this farm his home. It comprises eighty acres of land, three and a half miles from the city limits, and is very valuable property.

Politically, Mr. RITTER is a Democrat. He is seventy-eight years of age, well preserved, Frank and cordial in his manner and one of the highly esteemed citizens. His children are: Martha Ann, wife of John DINGMAN, of Garner Township; George, who lives near Ogden, Utah; John T., also near Ogden; Milton, of Garner Township; Archibald, a resident of Webster County, Nebraska; Eliza Jane, now the wife of Emanuel RICHARD, of Neola, who is a grain-buyer; Lizzie, now Mrs. John SMITH, also of Neola; and Jessie, who lives in Idaho.




Robbins, T. M.


T.M. ROBBINS is the owner of 160 acres of land in section 13, Washington Township, Pottawattamie County, where he has resided since 1878. An outline of his life is herewith given:

He was born in Herefordshire, England, February 19, 1853, son of Thomas and Georgenia (MORGAN) ROBBINS, the former a native of Herefordshire and the latter of Gloucestershire. His mother died when he was six years old, and his father still lives in England. Our subject was educated in the common schools of his native land and remained there until he was 18 years old. While a boy, he was for two years employed as a florist. At fourteen, he engaged in the stock business and continued to buy and sell stock for four years. In 1872 he came to America and settled near Davenport, in Scott County, Iowa, where he conducted a meat market for some time. In 1878, as already stated, he came here and purchased his present farm. It was then wild prairie land, but under his judicious management and well directed efforts, it has assumed a different appearance, now being one of the best farms in the vicinity. He has a good story and a half house, 16 X 24 feet, located on a natural building site, surrounded by a grove and orchard. His stables, fences, modern wind pump and the whole premises all denote the prosperity of the owner. Big Silver Creek flows through his farm, affording an abundant supply of water for stock. This season, Mr. ROBBINS is feeding forty-one head of steers and has some fine cattle and good horses.

Mr. ROBBINS was married in Scott County, Iowa, December 21, 1876, to Miss Maggie HARRIS, a native of Washington County, Iowa, reared and educated there. Her father, Henry HARRIS, was a native of the South, was a soldier in the late war and died at Memphis, Tennessee, of disease contracted in the service. Her mother, nee Mary TUCKER, was born in Des Moines County, Iowa, daughter of Hon. B. F. TUCKER, one of Iowa’s first Representatives. She is now a resident of Wichita, Kansas. Mr. And Mrs. ROBBINS have one son, Eddy K. Mr. ROBBINS is a member and trustee of the Evangelical Church and teacher of the Sabbath school. Politically he affiliates with the Republican party.




Robertson, James Carson


DR. JAMES CARSON ROBERTSON, M.D., was born in Washington County, Iowa, June 6, 1845, the son of John D. and Eliza (CARSON) ROBERTSON. The former was born in the State of Pennsylvania, but the latter is a native of County Tyrone, Ireland. John D. ROBERTSON is of Scotch descent, his father having been a native of Scotland. The father of our subject went to Stark County, Ohio, with his parents when a child, where he was reared and married. In 1842 he settled in Washington County on a farm, where he still lives. They were the parents of six sons who grew to maturity, four of whom are still living. The eldest brother, William H., was a member of Company H, 7th Iowa Infantry, in the War of the Rebellion, and served during that war. He then married and settled on a farm in Washington County. He was several years a Justice of the Peace and was well known throughout the county, taking much interest in politics. He died in June 1875, leaving a wife and daughter, who still survive him, and both are engaged in the occupation of teaching. The other son was Samuel A., who died in 1879 at the age of about thirty years, leaving a wife. He was a merchant and druggist at the time of his death, and a resident of Bull City, Kansas. The subject of this sketch is the second in order of birth. John D., the fourth, is a farmer of Washington County; George F. resides at the old homestead with his parents; DeWitt C., the youngest, also resides in Washington County.

Dr. ROBERTSON was reared on the old homestead farm. He received his education at the public schools, and in 1868, at the age of twenty-two years, he entered the State University at Iowa, and remained a student in the literary department of that institution for three years. He then entered the medical department of that institution, and took his medical degree in March 1873. He taught several terms of school during his college course, and also taught a term before entering college. The Doctor at once located at his old home in Washington County, and continued in practice until he came to this city. In 1883, the Doctor went to New York city, where he took a course at the Bellevue Hospital, and where he also received the degree of M.D. Dr. ROBERTSON is getting a good practice, and is a member of the Iowa Medical Society and of the American Medical Society. He owns a pleasant home at 1006 Fifth Avenue.

He was married in Washington County to Miss Helen HOUCK, who is a native of that county and they have two sons, Andrew A. and Ralph D.




Robinson, Charles S.


CHARLES S. ROBINSON is one of the prominent and influential citizens of Center Township, Pottawattamie County, Iowa. He is one of the brave pioneers who came here in 1853, when everything was new and wild, and is justly deserving of honorable mention in work of this character. A history of his life will be found of interest to many.

Mr. ROBINSON was born in Fountain County, Indiana, March 2, 1828. His father and grandfather, Joel and Jeremiah ROBINSON, were natives of North Carolina. Joel ROBINSON was reared in his native state, and there married Jane DAILY, who was born in North Carolina, the daughter of Charles DAILY, who was of Irish extraction and also a native of that state. He and his wife went to Indiana in 1825, where they lived for many years. The following children were born to them: John, now a resident of Perryville, Indiana; Marion, in Davis County, Iowa; Erastus, Appanoose, Iowa; Sabra Ann, wife of Thomas FOSTER, Appanoose County; and Charles S., the subject of this sketch. His youth was spent on his father’s farm in Indiana, and his education was obtained in the typical log schoolhouse of the period, which was fitted up with slab seats. Mr. And Mrs. ROBINSON removed to Appanoose County, Iowa, in 1851, where they lived until death. The father was born in 1797 and died in 1877. He was formerly a Democrat but later in life cast his vote and influence with the Republican Party. Both he and his wife were members of the Christian Church. She died at the age of eighty-four years.

When their son, Charles S., was twenty-one years old, he left his native state, came to Iowa, and settled in Appanoose County, where he was engaged in farming for three years. In 1853 he came to Pottawattamie County, as already stated at the beginning of this article, and first settled in Council Bluffs. There he teamed and farmed for a time, after which, in 1855, he moved to Wheel’s Grove, where he spent one season. In 1856, he located on his present farm, being one of the first settlers in the neighborhood. There were a few families about Big Grove; but north, east, and south of him stretched the wild prairie. It was ten miles to the first house east on Walnut Creek. The situation was enough to discourage a man not possessed with pluck and courage, but Mr. ROBINSON had in his make-up both of these elements, combined with energy and perseverance; and the inconveniences of the new country only served as a stimulus to help develop the wild land that lie before him, and built for himself and family a home. His first winter was passed in a shanty covered with sod, but before the frosts of another winter came, they were snugly living in a new log house, where he and his good wife dispensed hospitality with a liberal hand to all those who sought shelter in their humble home. Stranger and friend were entertained in true pioneer style. On this farm of 248 acres, Mr. ROBINSON has lived for thirty-four years. The log house, however, has given place to a substantial and modern frame one, which is surrounded with shade trees and an orchard of two or three acres. The farm has other good buildings, is well fenced, and is devoted to general farming and stock raising.

Mr. ROBINSON was married November 25, 1849, to Miss Mary D. ROGERS, a lady possessed of all the virtues and accomplishments that make a pioneer successful. She was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, a daughter of Clement and Rachel (WHITE) ROGERS, both natives of Delaware. When Mrs. ROBINSON was a girl, her parents moved to Indiana where they spent the residue of their lives. They were members of the Methodist Church and were honored and respected citizens. Of their family of three children, two sons are deceased, Mrs. ROBINSON being the only survivor. Mr. And Mrs. ROBINSON have had ten children as follows: William, a resident of Wisconsin; Frank is married, has one child, and lives in Belknap Township, Pottawattamie County; Anna has been a successful teacher in California for seven years; Susan, wife of John MEANS, of Rice County, Kansas; Charles Freeland, Ira Joel, Sydney Grant – all at home; S. Jessie, a popular teacher; and Fred Elmer, at home. Their second child died at the age of nine months. All of them were born in Pottawattamie County, except William, who was born in Wapello County, Iowa. Mr. ROBINSON has given his children the advantages of a good education and fitted them for honorable positions in life. The daughters have all been teachers.

Politically, Mr. ROBINSON is a Republican. He has served in all the township offices. Two terms, he was Justice of the Peace. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. lodge of Oakland, No. 442. His wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Oakland. Mr. ROBINSON is sixty-two years old, yet he bears his age lightly. He is a man well informed on all general topics and is broad and progressive in his views. He is frank and cordial in his manner, and is honorable in all his business dealings.




Robinson, James


JAMES ROBINSON, on section 30, Macedonia Township, is a native of Yorkshire, England, born April 3, 1848, son of JAMES and MARTHA (RAINBOW) ROBINSON. He was a boy of 4 years when his parents first came to America and settled in Wayne County, New York, where they resided 4 years and then moved to Johnson County, Iowa, in 1856, where they settled and resided 8 years and then moved to Iowa county. The father died May 12, 1886, and the mother died June 20, 1886. They raised 9 children, six sons and three daughters, of whom James was the sixth child. In 1875 our subject visited the Pacific coast to Oregon, Washington, and California, and remained until 1876 when he returned home. He bought 120 acres of wild land in this county and in 1877 moved on the same. He is one of the pioneer threshers of the county and was one of the first to use a steam thresher and is practical and experienced engineer. Mr. ROBINSON was married in Jefferson County, Iowa, February 1, 1882 to Emma SUMMERS, who was born and reared in Iowa, and was the daughter of William SUMMERS. They have four children: Grace Ethel, James Walter, Benjamin Roy, and Inez Beryl. Politically Mr. ROBINSON is a Republican and is a member of the I.O.O.F. lodge No. 421 and of the Ruby Lodge, No. 415, F.&A.M. at Macedonia.



Rock, William V.


WILLIAM V. ROCK, a prominent farmer of Pleasant Township, was born March 19, 1851, on a farm in the Province of Waldeck, Prussia, the son of Frederick Rock, who was born in the same province, September 26, 1818. He was married to Louisa Schnore, who was born in 1822, and they had eleven children: Caroline, Louisa, Fred, Carl, William, Christian, Christiana and Henry, three others dying in infancy. The father was a soldier in the Prussian army, but saw no active service. Both he and his wife were members of the Lutheran Church. In 1882 Mr. Rock came to America to visit his children, nearly all of whom had emigrated here, and spent about eighteen months in Iowa, and then returned to Prussia. He is yet living on his farm, at the age of seventy-two years. One son and one daughter, Carl and Caroline, are still living in Prussia. The father is a leading man in his town, having been Justice of the Peace for many years, also School Director, and an Elder in his church. His children are all prosperous in life, owning good farms, and from such sturdy stock the people of Iowa have been indebted for much of their prosperity and steady progress. The hardy Germans bring with them to this country traits of industry and perseverance which overcome all obstacles, and these are being infused also into the blood of the young Americans who are destined to become our best citizens, and who will form a new generation of Prussian-Americans that will be a liberty-loving, loyal and industrious race.

William V. Rock, the subject of this sketch; received a part of his education in the old country, and when but a lad of fifteen years, in 1866, he came with his brother Fred to this country. They went to Davenport, Iowa, and for four years worked at farm labor in Scott County and four more in Clinton County. In 1873 he purchased 160 acres of wild land in this county, and in 1874 broke up eighty acres, on which he built a home. He has been very prosperous in farming, and has added to his first purchase until he now owns 400 acres of fine land. He is also a raiser and breeder of cattle, and is one of the most energetic and prosperous farmers of Pleasant Township. In 1880 he set out 2,000 fruit and shade trees. In his political views he is a stanch Democrat, and has filled the offices of Road supervisor, Township Trustee, Assessor, School Treasurer for five years and is School Director at the present time. He is a self-made man, and stands deservedly high as one of the best citizens of his county. His children are being well educated, and he takes pride in aiding their desire toward improvement and cultivation, and he may well take an honest pride in what he has accomplished in life. His honest efforts and purposes have been well rewarded, and it may be truly said that "his word is as good as his bond."

March 8, 1875. Mr. Rock married Lohisa Freese, daughter of Ludwig and Wilhelmina Freese, and to them have been born six children, viz.: Minnie, born November 15, 1875; Frederick, September 12, 1877; Henry, January 23, 1880; Christina, August 17, 1883; Albert, October 2, 1886; and Louis, April 11, 1890. The father of Mrs. Rock died in Prussia, in the same town where Mr. Rock's father now lives, and his widow came to America with her children, Wilhelmina, Fred and Louis. She was again married in America, and is now living in Clinton County, Iowa. Mrs. Rock was born in Prussia, January 10, 1856, and was but eleven years of age when she came with her mother to this country. Mr. Rock and family are members of the Lutheran Church.




Rodenbough, John Jackson


JOHN JACKSON RODENBOUGH, one of the well known pioneers of Pottawattamie County, Iowa, came here in 1866. A sketch of his life will be found of interest and is as follows:

His father was George S. RODENBOUGH, who married in New Jersey, Miss Elizabeth JACKSON and had twelve children, six sons and six daughters. Mr. RODENBOUGH has always been a great admirer of Mr. JACKSON, and when, June 10, 1832, the subject of this sketch was born, he was given the name of that hero. He was reared in his native state, receiving a common school education, and learned the shoemaker’s trade from his father. When he was twenty-one years of age, the entire family removed to Warren County, Illinois. There the parents spent the rest of their lives, the mother dying at the age of seventy years and the father at eighty four.

Mr. RODENBOUGH served for a time in the State Militia, but was not accepted by the United States into regimental service. He was married September 4, 1859, to Mary Ann AXTELL, a native of Warren County, Illinois, and daughter of Thomas and Sarah (ROBB) AXTELL, natives of Pennsylvania. Four children were born to them, three of whom are living, viz.: William E., who resides in Washington; George of the same state; Flora, wife of Nathan MOORE, Grove Township, this county. Mrs. RODENBOUGH died January 29, 1873. Two years later, December 25, 1874, Mr. RODENBOUGH married his present wife, Miss Eunice DILLY, a native of Mercer County, Pennsylvania and a daughter of William and Mary (AXTELL) DILLY, also of Pennsylvania. She was two years of age when her parents located in Warren County, Illinois, where she was reared. Her father was a strong Abolitionist and was a delegate to Springfield, Illinois, at the time Abraham Lincoln was nominated for President. Mr. DILLY now resides at Sterling, Kansas. By his second marriage, Mr. RODENBOUGH has three children; Mary Elizabeth, William Herbert, and Nettie May.

Mr. RODENBOUGH came to Pottawattamie County in 1866, as already stated at the beginning of this article, and first settled at Silver Creek. He subsequently came to Grove Township, and was employed for a time on the RRI Railroad. Previous to his coming west, he had helped to build one of the first railroads in the United States, in New Jersey. After the death of his wife, he returned to Illinois and remained a year, when he came back to this county. He is the owner of 140 acres of good land, which is well watered.

Politically, our subject is a Republican. He voted for General Fremont and all the Republican candidates for President since that time. He and his wife and two of their children are members of the Methodist Church. Mr. RODENBOUGH is firm in his convictions of right and wrong, plain in his speech and manner, and honest in all his business dealings.



Rodwell, John


JOHN RODWELL was born in Cambridgeshire, England, January 21, 1846, son of John and Mary (GOODGE) RODWELL, both natives of England. He was a babe when his parents emigrated to this country and settled in Bureau County, Illinois, near Arlington. There they spent the residue of their lives, the father dying in 1850 and the mother in 1882. Mrs. RODWELL was a worthy member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. They reared a family of three children: Mary, John, and Thomas. They were reared on a farm, the father having been a farmer all his life, and early in childhood were taught that industry and honesty were necessary to a useful and successful life.

John received his education in the public schools. When the great War of the Rebellion came on, he went forth in the defense of his country, enlisting in February 1864 in Company B, Fifty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He participated in the battles of Resaca, Altoona, Bentonville, and others of less importance. After receiving an honorable discharge at Louisville, Kentucky, he returned to his home in Bureau County, Illinois, where he remained until 1876.

In February of that year, he came to Pottawattamie County and located on section 22, Center Township. He purchased eighty acres of wild prairie land, which he improved, and as he prospered he added to his landed estate. In 1880, he bought forty acres in section 21, and four years later, 160 acres in section 15, both having been broken at the time of purchase and the latter fenced. In 1888 he bought 120 acres in section 8, which had been improved and on which was a house and other buildings. On this property, his brother Thomas resides. Mr. RODWELL is the owner of 400 acres of land. On his home farm, which is well improved and under a splendid state of cultivation, he has a fine residence built in modern style at a cost of $2,000. This home, beautifully located and surrounded by ornamental trees and shrubs, forms one of the attractive features of the neighborhood. Mr. RODWELL has a nice grove and orchard, suitable barn and out buildings and wind mill; in fact, everything about the place attests to the thrift and enterprise of the proprietor. From sixty to seventy-five head of cattle and a large number of hogs and horses are usually kept on the farm.

December 29, 1869, Mr. RODWELL married Miss Caroline FRIZZELL, a native of Bureau County, Illinois, and one of the ten children of Michael and Charlotte (DEAN) FRIZZELL. The father was a native of Massachusetts and died in Firth, Lancaster County, Nebraska, at the age of eighty-three; the mother, a native of Connecticut, died in Bureau County, Illinois in June 1880 at the age of sixty-seven. J. O. FRIZZELL is a brother of Mrs. RODWELL, and A. L. FRIZZELL is her half-brother. Mr. And Mrs. RODWELL have five children: Michael Eugene, Wilbert, Mary, Luella and Tracy Melvin.

Politically, our subject is a strong and radical Republican. He has served with credit as Township Trustee, as a member of the School Board, and is at present Township Clerk. He is also the present treasurer of the school board. Mr. RODWELL is a charter member of the William LATON Post No. 358 G.A.R., Oakland, and has served as Chaplain of the Post and Officer of the Day. He is a member of the Spring Creek Methodist Episcopal Church and is one of its liberal supporters. His family are members of the Center Union Sabbath School.

Mr. RODWELL is a gentleman in the prime of life. In a financial way, he has met with eminent success and his prosperity may all be attributed to his enterprise, integrity and well directed efforts. He is regarded by all who know him as a worthy and upright citizen.




Rohrer Millard F.


MILLARD F. ROHRER. Mr. ROHRER has been a resident of Council Bluffs, Iowa, since July 1871, arriving before he had attained the age of twenty-one. He came originally from Rohrersville, Washington County, Maryland, where he was born on the old family farm, August 30, 1850, the family of which they are representatives having been natives of Pennsylvania and of German ancestry.

The greatest excitement during his boyhood days was that created by “Old John Brown” at Harper’s Ferry, Virginia, in 1859, which was only twelve miles distant. He received a common school education in the private and public schools of Boonsboro and Keedysville, Maryland. During the late War, his home was on the border of the battlefield of Antietam, the battle having been fought September 17, 1862. He was at that time aged twelve years.

Even at this age, he was pressed into service as a nurse, as his father’s house, barn and woodhouse were turned into hospitals, and all possible aid rendered by the family to the wounded soldiers of the Federal Army. He left his native state and home to begin life for himself in 1870, to accept an engagement to travel for a wholesale glove house in Chicago, and, having closed this engagement in the fall, he then located for the winter near Avalon, Livingston County, Missouri, at which place he engaged in teaching school. In the spring of 1870, he selected their present family farm of 280 acres in said county, and immediately wrote for his father and family, and upon their arrival from Maryland, he assisted in putting in the spring crops.

As stated before, in July, 1871, he made his first appearance in Council Bluffs, to introduce a fall wheat brand of flour manufactured by SNIVELY & HEDGES of Wathena, Kansas. At the expiration of three months, he was ordered to Texas to introduce the same flour, and on account of being pleased with the business outlook in Council Bluffs, he resigned his position and decided to make this city his home.

He found immediate employment as clerk of the Briggs House, which was then one of the leading hotels. He was next employed in the Postoffice Bookstore of BRACKETT & GOULDEN as clerk, which position he held until D. W. BUSHNELL succeeded J.P. GOULDEN, at which time he was appointed Deputy Sheriff by ex-Sheriff George DOUGHTY, deceased.

In the discharge of his duties as Sheriff, it was necessary for him to ride over the entire county; inasmuch as only about one half of the farm land was occupied and fenced at that time, he rode in every direction over the grand prairies that now constitute many of the most valuable farms. Following this, he was employed by J.M. PALMER to assist in opening the first frame hotel and depot on the identical ground now occupied by the brick and stone Union (Pacific) Passenger Depot. Subsequently, he was appointed agent of the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad in Nebraska, and bill clerk of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad in this city, by J.W. MORSE, late general passenger agent of the Union Pacific Railroad.

In 1875 he formed a partnership with Thomas BOWMAN, the present congressman elect, in the insurance business, having purchased the large fire insurance agency of J.P. & J.N. CASADY. About three months after forming this partnership, Mr. BOWMAN was elected County Treasurer and after January 1, 1878, Mr. ROHRER conducted the business alone. In 1881 he became a member of the commercial storage and agricultural implement firm composed of Thomas BOWMAN, George F. WRIGHT and himself, and known as the firm of BOWMAN, ROHRER & Co. The firm closed out their business on January 1, 1885, to SHEPHARD, FIELD & COOK. At this time, Mr. ROHRER was appointed general agent of the Mutual Life Insurance Company of New York for the state of Iowa.

On December 31, 1887, he was elected Mayor of the city of Council Bluffs by the city council, to succeed ex-Mayor William GRONEWEG, who resigned the office on account of being elected State Senator. At the following city election in March, 1888, he was the Democratic candidate for Mayor, and David J. ROCKWELL the Republican nominee for the same office. Mr. ROCKWELL being a popular gentleman polled the full strength of his party; nevertheless, Mr. ROHRER was elected by between 700 and 800 majority, his term expiring March 17, 1890.

During his continuous term of twenty-six and one-half months as Mayor of the City, Council Bluffs made more progress as a city than during any previous term, viz: the paving with cedar blocks of Broadway from Twelfth Street to Omaha, a distance of three miles, connecting with the (second) great iron and steel bridge over the Missouri River, uniting the cities of Council Bluffs and Omaha by the first electric street railway introduced in the great West; opening up the Lake Manawa steam street railway; opening up the Council Bluffs and Omaha Chautauqua grounds, etc., etc. During his term of office, eight miles of streets were paved with cedar blocks, and brick and other public and private improvements were made in keeping with the same.

In his final message to the City council on March 17, 1890, he made the following valuable recommendations in reference to that portion of the city which is now apparently (to the eye) in Omaha:

“My attention has but recently been called to some facts to which in this parting message I deem it my duty to call your attention. I am informed by able lawyers and also by officials who are in a position to know that the long neglected body of land known as Cut-Off Island, and sometimes slightingly referred to as No Man’s Land, is within the corporate limits of the city of Council Bluffs, and it seems that in five or six suits which have been had concerning this land it has been conceded on all hands, by lawyers and judges, that such is the case.

Heretofore this land has been almost of no consequence, but the marvelous growth of our city and its sister across the river has attracted the attention of capitalists to this tract of land which is in Iowa, but contiguous to Omaha. This point settled, important consequences ensue therefrom. The Union Pacific Railway Company has built its tracks on this island, bridges are being built, streets opened up; arrangements are being made to fill up the unoccupied ground with factories, warehouses, and busy industries. I have only recently learned these facts, but should consider myself derelict in duty were I to fail to call your attention to the same upon this particular occasion. The island in extent embraces nearly 2,000 acres of valuable land; and if I understand the matter aright, this is all subject to taxation by the council of the city of Council Bluffs, and the trackage of the railroads as well. This should be looked into and attended to.

We, in turn, aiming to give to the public as good government as possible, and watchful of the interests of all within our jurisdiction, should see to it that the right of franchise so dear to the American heart should be accorded to the residents of that district who are in fact citizens of Council Bluffs. The children of these parents have a right to attend our public schools. The census taker must not omit to include this population in his list. The importance of the right to tax this large body of land is liable to be underestimated, as, in my opinion, but very few years will pass before a large revenue will be derived therefrom and steps should be taken at the next real estate assessment in the spring of 1891, to get the same property upon the books.”

His recommendations were acted upon promptly by the present city administration, and at this writing the exact boundary lines between the cities of Council Bluffs and Omaha, in the vicinity of this valuable tract of ground constitutes a case in the Supreme Court of the United States.

His parents, Judge George C. ROHRER and Sophia E. (DEANER) ROHRER, were born in Washington County, Maryland; however, as before stated, they have resided on their farm near Avalon, Livingston County, Missouri, since 1871, his mother having died on May 19, 1889, at the age of sixty-two. Twelve children were in their family; of these, Winfield Scott, Susan Maria, Emma Alice and Laura Ellen, died when quite young – from infancy to age seen. Harry Crytzman died at home, August 30, 1889, at the age of twenty-seven.

Ida Florence is the wife of Irwin F. ROBINSON and resides at Chillicothe, Missouri. Samuel Deaner resides in Council Bluffs and is, at present, a member of the city engineer’s force, while Luella Dinah, Christian Franklin, and Julia Elizabeth, reside on the farm which is now and has been for years farmed in partnership by the subject of this sketch, Millard Fillmore and his brother C. Franklin. Mary Catharine is the wife of Noah W. CRONISE, who resides at Rohrersville, Maryland, and is a half-sister, being the only child of his father’s first wife.

On September 11, 1877, Mr. ROHRER was married to Sarah Beach BEERS, the only child of John B. BEERS and Eliza (BEERS) CRAWFORD. They have had three children: the first born, John Beach Beers, died February 8, 1880, at the age of thirteen months. The remaining two children: Isaac BEERS is ten years old, and Carrie Test is seven years of age.

Mr. ROHRER’s parents were among the early settlers of Council Bluffs, her father having been engaged in the wholesale grocery business, and very extensively in real estate in western Iowa, and in Omaha and Nebraska City in Nebraska. In Council Bluffs, Beers’ Addition and Beers’ Subdivision bear his name. Mrs. ROHRER is an active member of the Presbyterian Church and takes a great interest in the Woman’s Christian Association Hospital, having been one of the first officers. Mr. ROHRER is engaged in the real estate and fire insurance business. His real interests are very large in Council Bluffs, and likewise at Blue Hill in Webster County, Nebraska. He is a stockholder in the Council Bluffs Savings Bank, one of the largest commercial savings and general banking houses in western Iowa.




Rollins, J. Q.


J.Q. ROLLINS, section 21, Center Township, Pottawattamie County, is one of the early settlers and well known citizens of the township. He came here in 1865 and has since made this place his home. He was born 20 miles from Augusta, Maine, in Kennebec Co., February 10, 1838, son of LEVI ROLLINS, a native of Maine. His grandfather, MARK ROLLINS, was born in New Hampshire, July 4, 1776. He was a carpenter by trade, at which he was still able to work when he was 80 years old. He lived to be ninety-nine. The ROLLINS family trace their ancestry to three brothers who came from England to America and settled in the New England states. The mother of our subject was nee JULIA ANN SMART. The Smarts were descendants of an old New England family. LEVI ROLLINS and his wife reared a family of 8 children: Sarah, deceased; James, at Grinnell, a soldier of the 24th Iowa Infantry in the late war; J.Q., our subject; Mary Hussey, a resident of Maine; Calvin, who resides in New Hampshire. He was in the 7th Maine Infantry, but was transferred to the 13th Maine Infantry. He was in the battle of Cedar Creek, where General Sheridan made his famous ride. Calvin was wounded in that battle. Oscar was also in the 7th Maine Infantry, and died of disease in the army; Harriet, deceased; Edward, resides in Maine. Mr. and Mrs. ROLLINS lived in Maine until their death. The mother was a faithful member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Her death occurred when J.Q. was 12 years old. The father died at age 73 years. He was a farmer all his life. Politically he was formerly a Democrat, later a Republican. Mr. J.Q. ROLLINS was reared on a farm and received a common-school education in Maine. In 1860 he came to Iowa and settled in Cedar County, where he lived until he came to Pottawattamie County. He was married in Cedar Co., Dec 2, 1863, to Miss MARY VIENA FULLER, daughter of EZRA and ARLOA (TURNER) FULLER. A sketch of her father appears on another page of this work. She was born in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, and lived there until she was 13 years of age, when she came with her parents to Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. ROLLINS have 8 children living: Mary Ellen, wife of J.B. Wills of Butler Co., Nebraska, has four children; Edward Elsworth and James Levi, both of Belknap Township, this county; Julia Eva, Herbert Henry, Arthur Garfield, Olive Pearl, Benjamin Harrison, all at home. Jessie Mary died in her 7th year. In 1865 Mr. Rollins came to Pottawattamie County and purchased 40 acres of land in Center Township. This he afterward sold to A.L. Brown. He then rented land of MRS. FULLER for one year, after which he bought 80 acres in Valley Township. That farm he exchanged for 80 acres in section 15, Center Township. After improving it to some extent he sold it and again rented land. In 1886 he purchased his present farm of 80 acres. The soil had been broken, but there were no buildings on the place. He has since made many improvements, has erected a good home and barn, and everything about the premises shows thrift and prosperity. Mr. ROLLINS is engaged in general farming and some carpentering, and during a portion of the year he operates a thresher and corn-sheller. He is a Republican; has served as Constable, Justice of the Peace, and as a member of the School Board.



Roop, M. S.


M.S. ROOP, contractor and builder, No. 520 E. Broadway, has been a resident of Council Bluffs since 1878. He was born in Fulton County, Ohio, May 16, 1851, son of JOHN and MARY (MILLS) ROOP, natives of Pennsylvania and descendants of the old Dutch settlers of that State. When he was four years old his parents moved to Carson City, Michigan, where he was reared and educated in the public schools. When a mere lad of 12 or 13, he entered a sash, door, and blind factory, in which he worked for a number of years. He was subsequently employed in the lumber, shingles and lath business. In January 1878, he came to Council Bluffs and has since been identified with the best interests of this city. His parents have since died, the father at the age of 84 years, and the mother at the age of 78.

After coming to this city, Mr. ROOP has been variously employed. He spent some time in Nebraska in the stock business. In 1884 he engaged in milling and previous to that time, for two or three years, he was in the second-hand merchandise business. In 1887 he turned his attention to contracting and building, which he has since followed. In connection with this business, he also keeps a quantity of and is prepared to manufacture all kinds of bee supplies, such as bee veils, comb foundations, hives, honey knives, smokers, etc. Mr. ROOP resides at No. 320 Oak Avenue. He was married in Carson City, Michigan, in January 1874 to Nellie J. DOLSON, who was born in Dubuque Co., Iowa, in March 1851. They have four children: Cortez Leo, Francis Ethel, Miles Archie and Raymond Wilber. Mrs. ROOP is a member of the Catholic Church. He is a Republican.




Ross, Lewis W.


LEWIS W. ROSS, attorney at law, Council Bluffs, was born of Scotch lineage, October 15, 1827 in Hanover Township, Butler County, Ohio. His grandfather, Ezekiel Ross, and his father, Amos ROSS, natives of Essex County, New Jersey, settled in Butler county, Ohio, 1814. Ezekiel died in 1845, in his eighty-ninth year, and was buried in the Bethel burying ground near his homestead. Amos died in his seventy-ninth year, in Jersey County, Illinois, and was buried in the Jerseyville Cemetery. Lewis W. ROSS remained on the home farm until his twentieth year. May 1, 1848, he entered Farmer’s College, near Cincinnati, and continued there until the winter of 1850, when he changed to Miami University, located at Oxford, Ohio, graduating from that institution in the month of June, 1852. At Farmer’s College, he had among his instructors, Robert H. BISHOP, D.D., and numbered among his student acquaintances Oliver W. NIXON of the Inter-Ocean; William C. GRAY, of the Interior; Murat HALSTED, late of the Commercial Gazette; Lewis B. GUNKLE, lawyer and capitalist, Dayton, Ohio; Joseph M. GREGORY, lawyer, Memphis, Tennessee; Jacob C. DENISE, M.D., Omaha, Nebraska; and Benjamin HARRISON, the present occupant of the White House at Washington. In Miami University, he had among his classmates Milton SAYLOR, twice elected to Congress from a Cincinnati district; David SWING, now of Chicago; and Benjamin HARRISON, already mentioned. SAYLOR received the first, and SWING the second, honors of the class.

After leaving college, Mr. ROSS read law in Hamilton, Ohio, for two full years, passing to the bar in the summer of 1854. His law preceptors were Joseph SCOTT, a notable example of the advocate and court lawyer in the same person; and N.C. McFARLAND, a man of excellent common sense, and untiring industry. SCOTT was afterward, for many years, one of the Supreme Judges of the State of Ohio; and McFARLAND served under President ARTHUR as Commissioner of the General Land Office. After coming to the bar, Mr. ROSS located in Hamilton, Ohio, remaining there in practice for a period of two years. In the month of August 1856, he removed to Cass County, Iowa.

On the third day of January 1861, he settled in Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie County, Iowa, , which place has always since been his home, except a temporary absence, extending through seven years, whilst employed in the State University. It is fair to say that he has given his life to the study and practice of his profession. He was State Senator in the 10th and 11th General Assemblies. Being a member of the Judiciary and Public Land Committees, his legal knowledge and professional experience were in constant demand and exercise. In 1864, he was elected a Trustee of the State University for four years and re-elected in 1868. In 1874 he was elected a Regent of the University for six years. In 1880 he was made Resident Professor of the Law Department of the University, and in 1881 was promoted to the office of Chancellor of that Department. As Trustee and Regent, he labored earnestly and successfully in strengthening and developing the University. He was especially active and largely instrumental in organizing and establishing the Law, Medical and Homeopathic Medical Departments. During the seven years of his service as Professor and Chancellor, he taught with other subjects, Equity, Real Property, Torts and Common Law and Code Pleading. During this period, the faculty and lecturers consisted of James M. LOVE, George G. WRIGHT, Austin ADAMS, John N. ROGERS, John F. DUNCOMBE, Emlin McCLAIN, and J.L. PICKARD. As Chancellor, the subject of this sketch was the responsible head of the faculty, composed of men eminent as jurists, lawyers and teachers. It is worthyof notice that during all the years of this headship, the most perfect harmony prevailed between the faculty and himself, and between the several persons composing the faculty. In authorship, Mr. ROSS has produced but little of permanent value. While in the law school in published, in aid of his platform work, “An Outline of Common Law and Code Pleading,” also “An Outline of the Law of Real Property” and other fragmentary works. These, though valuable to himself and to his pupils at the time they were issued and used, were not designed for the active jurist, or the practicing lawyer. At the bar, Mr. ROSS ranks high as an equity and real estate lawyer. To him, causes of this character have all the charm of romance.

In his domestic relations, he is fortunate and happy. In 1855 he was married to Miss Zoe M. BROWN, in Lebanon, Ohio. Five children, all living, to wit: Charles, Hester, Edith, Anna and Dillon, are the fruit of this union. Mrs. ROSS is now in mature womanhood and very active in promoting Christian and charitable enterprises.




Rossa, Isaiah


ISAIAH ROSSA (ROOSA), who resides in Garner Township, section 12, is one of the prominent citizens of the township. He came here in July 1877 from Mills County, Iowa, where he had resided for three years. He was born in Ulster County, New York, October 6, 1857, the son of John Z. Rossa, who was born in the same county and the son of Zachariah Rossa, of Holland Dutch ancestry. Our subject's mother was Catharine (Oakley) Rossa, who was born in Ulster County, New York, daughter of John Oakley, a captain in the War of 1812 and of an old American family. John Z. Rossa and wife had two children, Isaiah, and Phoebe Monroe who died in New York at the age of twenty-nine years. She left five children. The father died in Ulster County, New York, in November 1882, and the mother resides with her son, Isaiah.

The subject of this sketch passed his youth upon a farm and finished his education at Ashland in Green County, New York. He taught school several terms. Arriving at the age of manhood, he was married May 29, 1856, in Ulster County, NY, to Mary L. TURNER, who was born in Ulster County, daughter of Josiah and Jane Ann (De la Montonge) Turner, natives of New York. At the time of Lincoln's call for 300,000 more men, our subject enlisted in the civil war in August 1862 in the 120th Infantry Volunteers, Company C of New York. His regiment was stationed in Virginia mostly. He served one year and eleven months, and was honorably discharged in July 1864, at West Philadelphia, where he had been confined some time by a chronic disease in a hospital.

After the war, Mr. Rossa returned to Ulster County, New York, and in 1869 removed to Clark County, Iowa, where he resided for one year. He then came to Montgomery County, Iowa, where he resided until 1874, and then removed to Mills County, same state, remaining until 1877 and then settled on his present farm, which was then wild land. He now owns forty acres of land in Crescent Township and eighty acres in Garner Township, all under a good state of cultivation. In his political principles, Mr. Rossa is a Republican. He is a man of intelligence, well informed on general topics and has taken an active interest in educational and religious work of the community where he resides.

Mr. And Mrs. Rossa (Roosa) have six children, viz.: Catherine Wood, Sarah Olive Osborn, residing in Weston, Iowa; Lavinia, wife of Harry Osburn of Council Bluffs; Frank, who married Lillian Osborn, and resides in Crescent Township; Josiah, who resides at home and owns a farm in Crescent Township; and Emma, at home. They gave their children a good education, and two of their daughters have been successful teachers. They lost one child by death, John, at the age of twelve years. He was the second child.

(Note to ROOSA researchers: This surname, while spelled ROSSA in the 1891 book, is actually ROOSA. Arie Roosa was an early settler in Rhinebeck, Dutchess Co., NY, and was granted a land patent there in 1688, along with Gerret Aertsen Van Wagenen, Jan Elton, Hendrick Kip, and Jacob Kip, all then residents of Ulster County. More information on these early Holland Dutch settlers is found in the book Dutch Houses In The Hudson Valley Before 1776, by Helen Wilkinson Reynolds, pub. 1929. Also see Hazel Dell Cemetery burials for this family.)




Rush, John W.


JOHN W. RUSH.-- Among the many citizens of Pottawattamie County who are worthy of biographical mention in a work of this character we find the above named gentleman. Mr. RUSH was born in Warren County, Iowa, May 28, 1854, son of William RUSH, a native of Indiana. His father was of German extraction and was born in Kentucky. When a young man William RUSH came to Warren County, Iowa, where he married Elizabeth HART, who was born in Macoupin County, Illinois, daughter of John HART. In 1860 Mr. RUSH and his wife moved to Hamilton County, Iowa, and from there, in 1865, went to Montgomery County, same State, settling two miles and a half northwest of Red Oak. They now live nine miles north of Red Oak. Mr. RUSH has been a farmer all his life. Politically he is a Democrat. His wife is a member of the Christian Church. They have reared seven children, namely: J. W., Mahala, William, Henry, Nancy, Sarah and Daniel.

The subject of our sketch was reared on a farm and was educated in the public schools. Arriving at the age of manhood, he was married in February, 1881, to Miss Mary POWELL, a lady of intelligence, who was born in Montgomery County, Iowa, daughter of Andrew and Mavinda (SAMPLE) POWELL, of that county. They came from Indiana to their present location. In 1882 Mr. RUSH came to Pottawattamie County and bought eighty acres of wild land in section 21, Waveland Township. This he improved and to it added eighty acres more, which he acquired by purchase. He has a good story and a half frame house, 14 x 22 feet, with a one story L, 16 x 24 feet. Other improvements on his farm are a barn, sheds, feed lots, wind pump, etc., and every thing is well arranged and convenient for stock-raising. The whole premises has an air of thrift and prosperity. In 1884 Mr. RUSH went to Elliott, Iowa, where he engaged in the loan and real-estate business, and after remaining there two years returned to his farm in this county.

Mr. and Mrs. RUSH have three children: Jessie, Clarence and Lucian. They lost one child, Clara, who died in infancy. Mr RUSH is a Democrat, and is the present Township Clerk. He is one of the leading members of the Christian Church, of which he is an elder. He is also an active worker in the Sabbath-school, being superintendent of the same. He is regarded by all who know him as a man of the strictest integrity.

Read Terms, Conditions and Disclaimers