Return to the Pottawattamie Co. home page. |  1891 Biography Home  |  Name Index  
Welicome to the 1891 Biographical History of Pottawattamie County






I  through  J

 


Ingram, Robert

ROBERT INGRAM, OF SECTION 13, Keg Creek Township, first came to Pottawattamie County in 1872. He was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, August 30, 1832, the son of James and Jane (STERLING) INGRAM. Both were born in Ayrshire and lived there until they died, the mother dying when Robert was only four years old, while the father died about two years ago, in 1888, at the advanced age of ninety years. Robert received his education and was reared to farm work in his native place. At twenty years of age, he left his native land and came to the United States, and resided for two months near New Amsterdam, New York, and then went to Chicago, when that place was but a small town. He then removed to La Porte County, Indiana, where he resided ten or fifteen yeas, working out by the month mostly. His next move was to Kankakee, Illinois, and later, in 1872, he moved his family to Iowa, driving first to Morris, Illinois, and from there shipped his household furniture by railroad to Iowa. They bought 320 acres of land from the Rock Island Railroad Company, where his son, Andrew Lincoln, now lives on 160 acres of this land. Mr. INGRAM erected his house in 1883 at a cost of $2,500 which is surrounded by shade and ornamental trees.

He was married in La Porte County, Indiana, when twenty-eight years of age, to Miss Eliza CAIN, a native of Ohio, and they have one child. A year after his marriage his wife died, and he was married some time later in Indiana to Miss Melissa M. MURPHY, who was reared in Porter and La Porte Counties, Indiana. They have three children: Andrew Lincoln, who is married and resides near his father; Martha, the wife of Poland WARD of this township; Rob Marion, at home. Politically Mr. INGRAM is a Republican and is a member of the Methodist church at Silver City, but that society is now building a church at Silver Creek, calling themselves the Lone Star Class.




Irwin, H. T.


H.T. IRWIN, editor of the Neola Reporter, was born in Steubenville, Ohio, June 24, 1853, the son of James and Margaret (LUCAS) IRWIN, natives of Ireland. James IRWIN was born December 12, 1838, came to America when a boy and at the age of thirteen years began to learn the printing business, in Harrison County, Ohio. After he had served his apprenticeship he lived in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and other places, and finally located in Steubenville, where he was married. He was in business there two years, then sold out, and for a number of years was foreman on the Steubenville Herald. Since 1864, he has resided at Des Moines, Iowa. His wife was born in January 1839, and died in November, 1882, leaving three children, namely; H.T. and Elizabeth S., twins, born June 24, 1853; Elizabeth, now the wife of William B. Graham, in Kansas City, Missouri; and Annie E., who was born October 17, 1857 and now resides in Des Moines. Mr. Irwin, the subject of this brief notice, began his apprenticeship in the art of printing at the age of fifteen, in Des Moines.

In the spring of 1878 he was married, in Panora, Iowa, where he remained until 1882, when he returned to Des Moines. In the fall of 1883 he came to Neola and purchased the office of the Neola Reporter, of which paper he is not the popular editor. It is a journal sparkling with new and wit. Mr. IRWIN is a Republican on national issues and independent in local elections. He has been Town Recorder for the past three years; is a member of the Crystal Lodge, NO 238, K of P. of Neola, of which society he is treasurer. He is a live energetic young man. January 19, 1878, at Panora, he married Anna BOWEN, the daughter of William and Sarah (WHITE) BOWEN both natives of Ohio, the former now residing in Nebraska, the latter having died July 5, 1890. She was born September 17, 1857, the fourth in a family of seven children, and a farmer's daughter. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Neola.




Jack, H. B.


H.B. JACK, a prominent farmer of Pottawattamie County, was born in Licking County, Ohio, and is of English descent. His great-grandfather came from England and settled in Virginia, and his grandfather, James JACK, was a soldier in the War of 1812. He was a native of Pennsylvania and moved to Wheeling, Virginia, in 1802, and afterward went to Muskingum Co., Ohio, where he owned a good farm and where he lived until his death, which occurred in 1847 at the age of 80 years. Both himself and wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church and the former was an industrious and honorable man. His son, John JACK, the father of our subject, was born November 19, 1797, in Pennsylvania, and at the age of five years went with his father to Wheeling, Virginia. At the age of 19 years, he went to Muskingum Co., where he was married to a widow lady named McDOWELL, formerly Delilah DEAN, who had four children by her former marriage, viz.: Commodore P., Mary A., Emily and Cynthia.

Mr. and Mrs. JACK were the parents of six children: James, Charles, Hugh, John W., Henry B., and Delilah. After marriage, Mr. Jack removed to Perry Co., and in 1833 to Licking Co., where he was among the early settlers. He remained there until 1859 when he moved to Jasper Co., Iowa, settling on a new farm, which, with the assistance of his son Henry B., he converted into a fine farm. He died in Pottawattamie Co., in April 1880 at the age of 82 years. His wife died July 12, 1887, at the age of 100 years, 3 months, and 12 days. They were both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church in which Mr. Jack was a steward and class leader.

HENRY B. JACK, the subject of this sketch, was born April 14, 1834 in Licking Co., Ohio. In 1859 at the age of 25 years, he came to Jasper Co., Iowa, with his father. August 2, 1862, he enlisted in Company C, 22d Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and served to the close of the war. He was in the battles of Port Gibson, May 1, 1863; champion Hill, May 16, 1863; Black River Bridge, May 17, 1863; the assault on Vicksburg, May 22, 1863, where he was taken prisoner but in 14 days was paroled and exchanged, and in October following returned to service; was also in the battle of Winchester, September 19, 1864. He was wounded at Port Gibson and at Winchester, and was in the hospital; was also injured by a fall in the hatchway of a vessel at St. Louis, and was in the hospital three months. He has since suffered from disability caused by his service in the Army, and should have a pension. After the war, like many of the soldiers who risked their lives for their country, he returned to his old home and engaged in farming. After his marriage he settled in Jasper Co., and in 1873 removed to Lincoln Township, Pottawattamie Co., and in 1889 came to Valley Township and settled on his present farm. He is a member of John A. Dix Post, G.A.R. of Walnut, Iowa, and is a stanch Republican. As a soldier, his record should be preserved and handed down to his children as one who did not hesitate to offer his life for her defense, and as one who never flinched when duty called. His children's children should tell the story of their grandfather's battles and sufferings as a soldier in the great war which saved the Union. The descendants of Mr. Jack on both sides have honorable ancestors, who helped to found the country in peace as well as to save it in war.

He was married in 1870 to Ella E. KELLOGG, who was born in Litchfield, Herkimer Co., NY, December 21, 1845, and received a good education at Madison, Wisconsin. She was the daughter of Nathaniel and Sarah (FELLOWS) KELLOGG. The father was born in Paris, Oneida Co., NY, and in 1847 settled in Wisconsin where he was among the early settlers. In 1869 he moved to Missouri. His father was a native of Hartford, Connecticut, and was in the War of 1812. He descended from three brothers who came over in the Mayflower; one settled in Connecticut, from whom Mr. Kellogg is descended; one in New Hampshire and one in Vermont. The name was originally spelled KELLOGUE. Mr. and Mrs. Nathaniel KELLOGG were the parents of 11 children, viz.: Mary A., Edwin M., Almira M., Augustus H., Lucy D., Charles H., Jennie A., George D., Ella E., Emma A., and Ruth E., all of whom lived to maturity. The father lived to the age of 87 years, dying at the home of one of his daughters in Fort Scott, Kansas; his wife is still living at the age of 85 years. Mr. and Mrs. JACK have had seven children: John, deceased at five years; Henry H., Sarah D., Lillie E., Charles B., Viola E., and one who died in infancy.



Jameson Bros.


JAMESON BROS. (W.J. & C.O) are the successors of James & Yancey in the proprietorship of "Hotel Jameson" since October 1889. The hotel has thirty-five rooms, is nicely furnished throughout and is under the direct management of C.O. JAMESON. This gentleman was born in New Brunswick, March 7,1857, the fifth of six children of Charles S. and Jane (McINTYRE) JAMESON and of Scotch and Irish extraction. His parents are both still living in that province. In his youth he learned the carriage trade, and followed it until he entered his present business. He first engaged in that trade in Council Bluffs in 1873 for one year, then in Creston, this State, for five years, and then three years at Hastings, Nebraska; since then he has been in his present position. He has recently taken the general agency for the State of Maine for the United States Masonic Benevolent Association of Council Bluffs, Iowa. He is a live, energetic businessman fully understanding his vocation. In his political sympathies he is a Republican, and in society he is a member of Bluff City Lodge, NO. 71,F.& A. M. He was married in 1884 to Miss Minnie BOSLOUGH of Mendota, Illinois, who was born October 1, 1861. Their courteous manner and genial disposition evinced their fitness as managers of one of the best hotels in Council Bluffs.




Jameson, W. J.


W. J. JAMESON. The JAMESON family finds its origin in Scotland, the founders of the family name in this country being Nathaniel and Mary JAMESON, who came to America about the year 1826, locating in Carlton County, New Brunswick. They remained there a short time, and then crossed the line to Aroostook County, Maine, where the father died, in 1868, at about the age of eighty-five years; his wife died in 1847 at the age of forty-five years. They had a family of six children, all of whom are deceased but one, C.S., the father of our subject. He was born in Scotland in 1820, and came to this country with his parents. He is and has been a farmer all his life, and was always a quiet and unassuming man. He was married in 1846 to Miss Jane McINTYRE, a native of New Brunswick, born in 1826, and is still living. They had six children, five boys and one girl: William J., the eldest, born August 23, 1847; Mary J., wife of George E. TRACY, of Carlton County, New Brunswick, was born March 24, 1850; Henry N., a resident of New Brunswick, was born July 1853; John H., also a resident of New Brunswick, was born January 28, 1855; Charles O., born March 7, 1858, is a resident of Council Bluffs; Dr. G.L.S., a resident of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was born August 25, 1861. The mother's family originated in Ireland, her parents being Patrick and Jane (SCOTT) McINTYRE, the latter a sister of General Winfield SCOTT. Mr. And Mrs. McINTYRE came to America in 1890, locating in New Brunswick, where they still reside, at the advanced age of ninety-four and ninety-one years respectively. They had a family of thirteen children, all of whom are living but two, and all are residents of New Brunswick and Maine, except one, who resides in Montana. They were farmers by vocation.

William JAMESON, our subject, was reared in New Brunswick, until he was twenty-one years of age, and his education was received by dint of hard labor and close application. When he was a small boy, the bears were so thick that it was dangerous to venture out alone, and he was therefore deprived of much of his early schooling. In 1870, he came west to Creston, Iowa, where he remained eighteen years, and while there was employed on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, after which he came to Council Bluffs. In January 1888, he took the position of Secretary and Treasurer of the largest Masonic Association in the world that confines its membership to the fraternity. This organization was incorporated in 1884, but commenced business in 1886, and in four years has written up over 10,000 applications. December 1, 1888, the assets on hand were $84,238.55; income during the year 1888, $161,686.21; total during 1889, $139,346.75; total assets on hand December 31, 1889, $106,578.01; assets December 31, 1890, $129,311.61; total amount of death losses paid since organization, $300,772.22; total amount of actual insurance in force, $22,000,000. The annual report of the association is verified by the Iowa State Commission of Insurance. This association was founded by the exertions of our subject, William JAMESON, and it is through his efforts that the association stands where it does today. During the first two years of its existence, he could give it but a small part of his attention, as he was still in the employ of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, but in 1888 he turned his whole attention to the same, and his presence is wonderfully felt. The Board of Directors are: Hon. Joseph R. REED, President; W. O. WIRT, Vice President; William J. JAMESON, Secretary and Treasurer; T. B. LACEY, Medical Director; Fred H. BROWN, Manager of Agencies, and a resident of Chicago, Illinois. The office is located in rooms two and three, Masonic Temple, Council Bluffs, Iowa.

He is a member of the A.F.&A.M., No. 71; Bluff City Royal Arch Chapter, No. 77; of Ivanhoe Commandery, No. 17; El Kahir Temple of Cedar Rapids, Iowa; of the Mystic Shrine; of the I.O.O.F.; of the K. of P.; also of the I.O. of R.M. Pottawattamie Tribe, No. 21, and also Chicago Nest, No. 9, I.I.O. of Owls.

Politically he affiliates with the Democratic Party. He was married in 1873 to Hattie M. WING of East Saginaw, Michigan, and they had a family of three children: Charles P., Guy B., and Gertrude Jane. The mother died in February 1884, and Mr. JAMESON was married to Miss Ella A. GLASS in 1885, a native of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. She was born in 1860 and they have one child, Vesta E.



Jefferson, Thomas H.


THOMAS H. JEFFERSON, a prominent farmer of Pottawattamie Co, Iowa, is a son of William JEFFERSON, who was born in 1801 and was married to Elizabeth HEWETT, daughter of John HEWETT, a native of England. Mr. JEFFERSON came to America in 1823 and settled in Trumbull Co, OH, where he was among the early settlers. He was the only member of his family that ever came to this country. He was engaged first in driving a stage for the Ohio Stage Company for 16 years and next in clearing a farm from heavy timber. The country at that time was covered with giant beech, oaks, walnut, maple, hickory and almost all kinds of timber native to that state, and wild beasts were also plentiful. To Mr. and Mrs. JEFFERSON were born five children: William, Mary, Thomas, Edward, and one who died when young. The father lived on his farm for many years, where he was a well-known and prominent man and both he and his wife were members of the Church of England. In 1863 he went to Black Hawk Co, Iowa, where he lived the remainder of his days, dying at the age of 76 years. He was a hard working and upright man.

THOMAS H. JEFFERSON, our subject, was born February 23, 1839 and after his marriage was engaged in the oil country in Warren and Erie counties, Pennsylvania, for three years. In 1867 he came to Iowa, settling in Black Hawk Co, where he remained two years; he next lived on the Missouri line in Polk and Cedar counties and in 1872 came to Belknap Township, Pottawattamie Co, settling on wild land. There was but one home between him and Big Grove, now Oakland, which then contained a store, blacksmith shop, a saw mill and three small cabins. In 1881 he came to his present fine farm of 320 acres, one-half of which is in Belknap Township. Politically he is a Democrat and stands deservedly high as a straightforward and honorable man. Mr. JEFFERSON was married in 1863 in Pennsylvania to Rose STEWART, daughter of Simeon and Hannah (BLAKESLEY) STEWART, and they have three children: Stewart, Charles C. and Tommy. Simeon STEWART was born in New York state and was the father of 5 children: Tryphenia, Calphurnia, Perry, Rose and Dora. He was a carpenter by trade, but owned a farm in the woods of Erie Co, Pennsylvania where he lived for many years and where he was a pioneer settler. He went 32 miles to Erie on horseback for his flour. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, and lived to the age of 82, dying on his farm. He was a member of the Masonic order, and a man well known and respected in his county. He kept a hotel n the road from Oil City to Corry, Pennsylvania, and during the oil excitement did an immense business, accumulating a handsome property.




Johannsen, John B.


JOHN B. JOHANNSEN of Walnut is one of the leading businessmen of that thriving town. He was born in the Province of Schleswig on a farm. His father, Paul Johannsen, owned his farm, was in comfortable circumstances, married Catherina Brodersen and had four children, namely: Hans C., Jens C., August and John B. Mr. Johannsen died at the comparatively early age of sixty years. He belonged to the Lutheran Church and was a man who lived an upright life and brought up his son in the same way.

John B. Johannsen, our subject, was born December 28, 1847, received a good common school education, and learned the mercantile business in Germany. He was a soldier in the regular German Army at the age of 21, and was in the war between France and Germany, being at the battle of Sedan and siege of Paris. He was at this great siege for four months, and was exposed all this time to active service. He served three years and ten months, thirteen months of this time being spent in France. In 1871 at the age of 25 years, he came to America, landing at New York, September 5. Coming to Lyons, Iowa, he became clerk in a store and then in a similar capacity at Lowden, Cedar County, until 1873. During the fall of this year, he came to Walnut and engaged in the mercantile business, being the fourth merchant in this town. In 1882 he went into the loan and insurance business and has been uniformly prosperous.

In 1872 he married Miss Anna C. Carstensen, daughter of Carsten Carstensen, who came from Germany. He was the father of four children: P.C., I.A., Carl (who died at the age of 21), and Anna C. Mr. Carstensen died in Walnut at the age of 66 years. Mr. And Mrs. Johannsen are the parents of seven children, viz.: Palmrick, Carrie, Clara, John B., Charlie, and Arthur. Both Mr. And Mrs. Johannsen are Lutherans in religious belief. Socially, Mr. Johannsen is an Odd Fellow, had held the office of Noble Grand and has been for many years Past Grand. He is also a United Workman. Politically he is a stanch Democrat. Mr. Johannsen is respected by his fellow citizens, and has held the office of councilman since the town was incorporated, and the office of Justice of the Peace for many years. He is a man of stanch business integrity and ranks among the first men of the county. He is a self-made man, and is the architect of his own future. His reputation for sterling integrity is above reproach.




Johns, Thomas J.


THOMAS J. JOHNS came to this county in 1863 and has since made it his home. He was born in Polk County, Iowa, August 26, 1852. He is a son of Peter S. JOHNS, one of the early settlers of Polk County, and nee Sarah FISHER, his wife. In 1863 the parents came to Pottawattamie County and settled in Belknap Township, where the father rented land for some time. During the Rebellion, he was one of the Iowa Soldiers. From exposure in the War, he contracted a chronic disease and died from its effects about the year 1865. He left a wife and six children, five of whom are now living, viz.: Angeline, wife of M. S. GILLESPIE, Valley Township; Thomas J., the subject of this sketch; Menton, a resident of Washington; A.B. and H.F. (twins), the former at Oakland and the latter at home, a teacher and a law student. Lucretia is deceased. The father was a farmer all his life. His political views were those of the Republican party. The mother still resides on the farm.

Mr. JOHNS was a lad of eleven years when his parents located in this county. He was reared on the farm and his education was obtained in the public schools of Pottawattamie County. In 1872 with his mother and brothers, he came to the land he now owns, which at that time was wild prairie. He has since improved it, and now owns two farms of 160 acres each, separated by the highway. He has two good frame houses and other modern farm improvements. A spring on his place furnishes a bountiful supply of water for his stock. Mr. JOHNS is engaged in general farming and stock raising, feeding, from one to two carloads of cattle and a large number of hogs annually.

He was married in Center Township, January 6, 1886, to Izora B. BUTLER, daughter of W. B. BUTLER, one of the prominent citizens of Center Township. This union has been blessed with two children, namely: Frances J. and Grace E. Mrs. JOHNS is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Pleasant Ridge. Politically Mr. JOHNS affiliates with the Republican Party. At present he is a member of the Board of Township Trustees; is associated with the I.O.O.F. Lodge No. 442 of Oakland.

NOTE TO RESEARCHERS: Peter Johns married Sarah Fisher in Polk Co., IA, on 11 July 1849. After the death of Peter Johns, Sarah, his widow, filed for benefits based on his Civil War service in Co. C, 13th Iowa Infantry; she filed on 8 March 1889. Anderson B. Johns filed for minor child benefits on 19 August 1904.




Johnson, A. W.


A.W. JOHNSON, a farmer and worthy citizen of Hazel Dell Township, was born at Hillsboro, Washington Co, Pennsylvania, June 25, 1832, the son of William and Mary (McFADDEN) JOHNSON, natives of Virginia and Pennsylvania respectively, and of Puritan and Irish ancestry. The father belonged to the old JOHNSON family of Indian War fame and was a soldier in the War of 1812, in the Commissary Department. He served through the entire war. At one time he was surrounded by the Indians and was relieved by his kinsman, Colonel Richard M. JOHNSON, of historical fame. During his younger days, Mr. JOHNSON was engaged in freighting by wagon train from New York to Baltimore and other points, and after his service in the War of 1812 he was engaged in taking contracts for building and in the construction of pikes, including the national pike. About 1839 or 1840 the family removed to Ohio, spent one winter in Knox Co., same state, where the parents finally died.

Mr. JOHNSON, the subject of this sketch, was the ninth of the ten children of the above family. At the age of 15 years, he began the trade of glove-making, and continued in the same for three years, meanwhile devoting a part of his time to the art of tanning, and these trades he followed until 1869 at Mt. Vernon, Ohio. In 1870 he came to Council Bluffs, arriving March 23. Renting land in Hazel Dell Township, he followed farming there for three years, and then purchased a tract of 80 acres on sections 29 and 32 of that Township, all unimproved prairie, built a house there and began improvements which he has continued up to date, thus making a beautiful home. On the premises is a good orchard of about 125 trees, and there are also many shade trees. Mr. JOHNSON is an industrious and judicious farmer and stock raiser; he also has done much in building up the interests of this county; is a decided Republican and has held the office of Constable. He is a self-made man, having risen to his present position by his own unaided efforts. He and his wife are exemplary members of the Wesleyan Methodist Church.

He was married in Ohio, October 4, 1854, to Miss. Ellen HARL, a daughter of Tramel and Elizabeth (WILSON) HARL, natives of Virginia and of English and Scotch origin. Her mother died in Mt Vernon, Ohio and her father n 1885 in Pottawattamie. They had a family of 11 children, Mrs. JOHNSON being the fourth. She was born in Mt Vernon, Ohio October 10, 1836. Mr. and Mrs. JOHNSON are the parents of six children, namely: Hamilton, deceased; Richard M., who died at age 19 years, March 15, 1874; George W., born December 27, 1858, and is now a resident of this county; William T. born June 17, 1861, and now also a resident of this county; Charles M., born May 15, 1865, and now residing in Custer County, Nebraska; and Mary E. born February 14, 1876, and is at her parental home.




Johnson, Francis T. C.


FRANCIS T.C. JOHNSON, noted for thrift and enterprise as a farmer in Norwalk Township, was born in Augusta Co, Virginia, in the Shenandoah Valley, June 16, 1834, a son of Francis and Maryjane (HALL) JOHNSON, who were also natives of Augusta County, Virginia. Francis JOHNSON SR., died in Virginia about 1846, when probably 68 years of age. In his youth, he attended the college at Lexington, Virginia, and after years was said to be the best-educated man in the Shenandoah Valley, and acted with efficiency as Surveyor General of that part of Virginia in which he lived. When a young man, he taught school and in later years was a dealer in grain, etc. Politically he was a Whig, and during the War with England, in 1812, served in the ranks as a soldier. His father, also named Francis JOHNSON, was the first white child born in Augusta Co, Virginia. He was a soldier in the American army during the war for freedom, and was a farmer. Maryjane HALL, who became the wife of FRANCIS JOHNSON, and the mother of the subject of this sketch, is still living, now in her 80th year making her home with her grandchildren in Virginia. She has been a member of the Methodist Church nearly 70 years. She had 7 children, five of whom are now living, viz.: Mildred Ellen now of Salt Lake City, Utah; Mary J., wife of Henry K. EAKLE, who resides at the old home in Virginia; Elisheba, who married John A. RUDISEL, deceased, and resides in Lucas Co, Iowa; Francis T.C. is next; Julian A. is a ranchman of Colorado; and Abbie, the youngest, was born in 1839 and died in 1862; and Asenath, wife of Thornton G. STOUT a merchant and capitalist of New Hope, Augusta Co, Virginia. Francis T.C. spent his school days in August Co, Virginia. Early in life he served an apprenticeship as carpenter, and when yet a young man came West and located at Council Bluffs, where he engaged working as a carpenter until 1870; then he moved to his present location, on sections 12 and 13, where he purchased 370 acres of land, which he has improved in various ways, etc. On coming to where he now lives his nearest neighbor north was at Neola; west, Underwood; east, two and one half miles, and south one mile; and there were two houses on the road from there to Council Bluffs. Since coming to this place he has held numerous official positions, with the utmost satisfaction to all interested parties. In 1872 he was elected Assessor of York Township, which then included the eastern half of Norwalk and all of York Township. Among the positions of trust, which he has held are: Secretary of School Board, Trustee and Township Clerk. September 17, 1857, he married Miss Caroline BABBIDD, daughter of Colonel Lysander BABBIDD. She was born near Cleveland, Ohio in 1836 and to their marriage six children have been born, five of whom are now living, viz.: Lysander W. who operates an elevator at Neola, this county; Alexander W. was four years of age at death; Mary Ellen is the wife of John PHILLIPS a farmer at Norwalk Township; Francis Lee recently graduated at a commercial college at Rochester, NY, and is now a resident of Denver, Colorado; Julian A. is somewhere in Mexico; and Daisy is at home. Mr. JOHNSON was one of the first members of Council Bluffs Lodge of I.O.O.F. No. 49 and is politically a Democrat.




Jones, John Green


JOHN GREEN JONES, a prominent farmer of Rockford Township, was born in Putnam County, Indiana, March 28, 1834. His parents, Hardin and Asenath (DEWEESE) JONES, were natives of Kentucky whose ancestry remotely were Dutch, Irish and Welsh. Hardin JONES was born in Kentucky, September 17, 1810, and removed to Indiana, where his father died in 1853, leaving a wife and 14 children. The children were: Malinda, married Hugh ADAMS and afterward died; Hardin was the second; Lucinda married HUGH ADAMS and afterward died; Ewing G. deceased; Sarah, who married Luke SALES and died in Illinois; Rebecca, now the widow of Thomas SALES, and residing in Appanoose Co, Iowa; William M. and Jonathan, both deceased; Leanna, who married Luke SALES and is now deceased; Allen who lives in Mills County, this state; Elizabeth who married Joseph SKELTON and both are now dead; America, now the widow of Josiah SKELTON and residing in Pottawattamie County; James S. a resident of Rockford Township; and Harriet who died in infancy.

Mr. Hardin JONES in 1832 married Asenath DEWEESE, a native of Kentucky, who was born January 1, 1810, daughter of David and Elizabeth DEWEESE, who were the parents of a large family and moved to Indiana where they both died. Mrs. Jones was the youngest of their children. After marriage he purchased a farm of 160 acres, heavy timber land, and improved it until the fall of 1855 which he sold and moved to Iowa, where he settled in Rockford Township, this county, upon 230 acres of prairie and timber land, which he purchased of G. Beebe, which had a cabin on it and 25 acres broken, and then proceeded to improve it. He afterward erected a frame house , 28 X 32 and one and a half stories high, built substantial outhouses, etc. and followed both grain and stock farming until his death. His first wife, already mentioned, died in 1859 and he then married Mary SKELTON, in October in that year, and she died March 9, 1881; and he next married in October same year to Brunetta MOSS, who survived her marriage only about 18 months. In February 1883, he married Eliza MULLENNIX, and she died July 10, 1886, but he survived her death but a short time, dying March 20, 1887.

He was Judge of Pottawattamie County and took an active part in the political affairs of the community; was Justice of the Pace 21 years, Deputy Sheriff for several terms and held other official relations. He was a member of the regular Primitive Baptist Church and the clerk for 40 years. In his family were the following children: Malinda Jane, born May 26, 1833, and since died; John G., the subject of this sketch; Martha E., born January 11, 1836, married A.L. JONES (since deceased) and now resides in Harrison County this state; Amanda A.E., born April 29, 1837, married John A. REEL and they reside in Harrison County; Mary J. born November 16, 1838, married Joseph MOSS and they live in Rockford Twp, this county; Ruth A., born February 6, 1841, married John A. MACE and died, leaving 5 children; and Silas H. born July 26, 1847 and died in infancy. John G. JONES, with whose name this sketch opens, is the second child in the above family and the oldest living; was married at age 20 years, December 7, 1854, to Mary Ann MACE, daughter of Nicholas and Cynthia (LUSTER) MACE, natives of Tennessee. Nicholas MACE was born in Tennessee, January 25, 1808, of English, Welsh, Irish and German extraction and at age 24 married a lady who was born in Tennessee in 1811 and whose parents died when she was very young, when the daughter was brought up by an acquaintance. She married at the age of 21 years.

After that Mr. and Mrs. MACE moved to Indiana and resided until 1856, and then came to Rockford Twp, this county, settling upon a quarter section of wild prairie. Here she died, April 18, 1863, leaving five children as follows: Mary Ann, John A. who resides in Oklahoma; Millie Jane wife of Benjamin SPENCER in Boomer Twp; David A. a resident of Harrison County; Elias M. now deceased. Mary Ann was born in Tennessee November 12, 1833 and was married at the age of 21 years. Mr. Jones, after his marriage, was deeded by his father 90 acres of land on sections 14 and 15, partially improved; and he set out vigorously to work in completing improvements. He first erected a log house, 18 X 20 feet, farm buildings, built fences, etc. and followed grain and stock farming. He also set out an orchard of large and small fruits, planted shade and ornamental trees, and beautified the premises generally. He prospered and in 1872 he erected a fine two-story frame house 28 X 28 feet, including a veranda in front. He has added to his first purchase until he now has 700 acres of fine land, of which 400 are under cultivation and the remainder is in timber, meadow and pasture. As to political issues he is a stanch Democrat, taking zealous interest in national affairs; of course in local matters he votes for the candidates whom he judges personally to be the best fitted. He has been Road Supervisor, Township Trustee, a member of the Board of Education. He and his wife are members of the Primitive Baptist Church of Loveland.

Mr. JONES children are ten in number, born and named as follows: Nelson, born February 17, 1856, married Martha A. MATTOX; and Theodore, born September 1, 1859, married Mary A. WEST, both residing in this county; Parks D., born May 20, 1861, still at home; Elias A., May 8, 1863, married Sarah J. CASE; and John G., September 19, 1865, married Martha A. DEAL, both in this county; the next two died in infancy; Emery and Anna (twins) born August 20, 1870, Emery died November 8 following, and Anna died February 27, 1871; and Clarissa Jane, born June 25, 1873.




Jones, L. G.


L.G. JONES, a farmer of Rockford Twp, was born in Putnam Co, Indiana, August 8, 1841, son of Nathan and Abigail (DEWEESE) JONES. The parents were natives of Kentucky and of Dutch, Irish and Welsh extraction. Nathan was brought up in Kentucky as a farmer's son, moved to Indiana and bought a farm of 200 acres, one half improved and the remainder in heavy timber. There he built a house and made many valuable improvements. In 1856 he sold out and moved by emigrant wagon to Appanoose Co, this state, driving a herd of cattle and locating upon a tract of 340 acres of prairie and timber, which he subsequently divided up among his sons and son-in-law, keeping 120 acres for himself. He resided there 9 years, making improvements, and then sold out and in the fall of 1865 settled where he now resides, upon 150 acres of land. There the next autumn his wife died, leaving 7 children: W.L., who now resides in Harrison County; Mary Jane, who married Henley MULLENIX and is now deceased; David A. of Nebraska; parks who died in infancy; .G., the subject of this sketch; Cenif and Cerina (twins); Cenif is the wife of William WILLIAMS, Rockford Township, and Cerina of Newton MORELAND in the same township. L.G. JONES, the fifth child and youngest son in the above family was brought up to farm life. At age 21 years, he married Elizabeth MARTIN, June 18, 1863. She was the daughter of Raleigh and Elizabeth MARTIN, natives of Indiana, who removed to Adair Co, Missouri, and died there. They had seven children: French, who resides in Missouri; Nancy, wife of John SOUTH now residing in Lee Co, Iowa; Henry, deceased; George in Missouri; Elizabeth was the next; Lucinda, wife of James HEINLINE of Missouri; and Coleman, a resident of Council Bluffs, Iowa.

Mrs. Elizabeth JONES was born September 5, 1841 and was married at age 20. After his marriage, Mr Jones rented a farm and raised one crop, then came to Rockford Twp, remained one winter, and the next spring purchased a farm of 120 acres in Harrison County of land entirely unimproved, and remained upon it 4 years. Selling it, he purchased a saw mill which he successfully ran for 6 years; next he rented another farm one year, then bought 200 acres of wild, rough prairie, which he now occupies as a highly developed farm, all the improvements being his own design and execution. His house is a frame 26 X 28 feet and a story and a half in height, with verandas. He has also a fine barn and other out-buildings about two and a half acres of orchard, fine shade and ornamental trees On national questions, Mr. Jones is a well settled Democrat. His three children are: Elizabeth; Abigail now wife of O.L. LUCAS in Clay Center, Clay Co, Nebraska; she was born October 21, 1866; David Walter, born February 29, 1876, died seven weeks afterward; Melvin Curtice, born January 3, 1879.




Jones, Owen W.


OWEN W. JONES, a Crescent Township farmer, was born in Dembershire, North Wales, January 18, 1831, son of William and Ann JONES, also natives of the same place, occupants of a farm and the parents of six children: Avon, David, John, Owen W., Ann (wife of Mr. Williams and residing in Wales) and William W., deceased. When 9 years of age, Owen was hired out on a farm by the year, and remained there four years. Then he went to sea on an English vessel hailing from Conway, Wales, and followed a seafaring life for six years, suffering many hardships, and being then laid up for 9 months with a broken leg. In his 20th year, he sailed for America on the ship Orient, landing at New York some two months later, January 3, 1852. After visiting Cincinnati, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, he returned to Cincinnati and was engaged there two years as a machinist in a cabinet factory. Next he went to Illinois and was soon called to Alton, that state, to visit his sick brother, who shortly afterward died. After working in a coal mine for a few years, he removed in the spring of 1859 to the Alma (Illinois) mines, and then went to St. Louis, made several changes, and finally landed at Council Bluffs on July 4, 1861, after a tedious trip up the Missouri River. He visited several points and finally settled at Big Grove on the banks of the river. A flood came and he moved out to higher land in skiffs, going into a house belonging to JOHN BIRD. He began trading and got some livestock together, then moved to Garner Township. There he cut wood and hauled it to town with the oxen that he had raised. Subsequently he sold the oxen and purchased a team of horses, and followed farming and stock-raising on different rented places until in 1866 he bought his present farm of 60 acres on Section 26, land entirely unimproved; and here he has made for himself and companion a comfortable home, with a nice frame house, farm buildings, orchard, shade trees, flowering plants, etc. It is indeed a cozy retreat for him and his companion in their old age. Politically he is a true Democrat, taking great interest in the public affairs of the county. They are zealous adherents to the faith of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. September 29, 1858, while engaged in the coal mines in Illinois, he married Mrs. Hannah JONES, widow of Samuel JONES, who came to America in the spring of 1855 settling in Schuylkill Co., Pennsylvania, and came thence to Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Jones have had two children, both of whom are deceased.




Jones, R. F.


R. F. JONES of section 3, Carson Township, was born in Ross County, Ohio, July 12, 1846, the son of Joseph and Mary Elizabeth (DICKEY) JONES, the former a native of Bedford County, Virginia, an old Virginia settler, who was the son of Jesse JONES, who served in the War of 1812; the latter was born in Bedford County, and was also the daughter of an old Virginia settler. They had nine children, all of whom are now living.

R. F. JONES, the eighth child of seven sons and two daughters, was three years of age when he moved with his parents to Davis County, Iowa, where he grew to manhood, engaged at farm work and attending school. At the age of nineteen, he came to Pottawattamie County, where he lived for four and a half years. He first bought land in this county in 1872, in Carson Township, section 11, which consisted of forty acres which he afterward broke and sold. In 1874 he bought 120 acres of wild land, which he successfully broke, and built a good frame house. This was part of his present farm and he now has 310 acres in rich bottom land along the Nishnabotna River, adjoining the town plat of Carson, and is second to none in location in the eastern part of the county. Shadeland, the home, is a beautiful place and will compare favorably with any in western Iowa. Here Mr. JONES raises trotting and road horses of the Hambletonian breed, and he also has a fine herd of red polled cattle. He was one of the pioneers in raising of fine horses and cattle in the county, and his herds are as fine as any that can be found in this part of the State.

Mr. JONES was married to Miss Cora CRAIN of Macedonia Township, at Council Bluffs, Iowa, September 13, 1870, the daughter of John E. and Talitha (THOMPSON) CRAIN; the former was born in Ohio and was reared at Fairfield, Jefferson County, Iowa, and was educated at Philadelphia; the latter was a native of Lancaster, Ohio, and died when Mrs. JONES was eighteen months old. Mr. And Mrs. JONES have six children: Edith, Laura, James Arthur, Robert Franklin, Albert Lea, Lulu Way and Rolland Roscoe. Politically Mr. JONES is a Republican and in 1884 was elected Supervisor of the county by a large majority; the courthouse was built during his term. He has also been Township Trustee for six years and is a member of the I.O.O.F., Carson Lodge, No. 444. Mrs. JONES is a member of the Presbyterian Church of which Mr. JONES has been Trustee and is a supporter.




Judd, C. B.


DR. C.B. JUDD of Council Bluffs is perhaps best known abroad by the great success to which he has attained in the manufacture of voltaic and galvanic belts, which from their intrinsic value and remarkable curative properties have attained a wide reputation. DR. JUDD is known at home both for the fact above mentioned and as a successful businessman and enterprising citizen. He was born in Loudon, New Hampshire. He has made his own way in life from early boyhood. He lost his mother when a young lad and left the parental roof when but 9 years of age. He was possessed of a somewhat roving disposition and at the age of 14 years we find him on the Pacific coast struggling to secure a livelihood and also to obtain some knowledge of books, as he even then had an ambition to quality himself for the medical profession. He succeeded by unceasing effort, and in 1875 graduated at the Pacific Medical College. Soon after entering upon the practice of his profession, his health failed and he therefore resolved to give up his practice and resume travel. Going to old Mexico, he was so unfortunate as to lose what capital he had accumulated, and also suffered from an attack of yellow fever. It was there he conceived the idea of manufacturing electric belts for which he has since become so noted. He is quite an inventor, having originated thirteen different devices. He came to Council Bluffs in 1882 and immediately began the manufacture of electric goods. It is safe to say that his electric belts are second to none manufactured. Their use is not confined to our own country, but he also sends many to Europe. He makes four kinds of belts, as well as trusses, etc. DR. JUDD has also an office in Chicago, the location being at 70 Madison Street. He employs about 200 agents to introduce and sell his goods, al of which is manufactured at his work-rooms in Council Bluffs. DR. JUDD is also one of the leading real-estate dealers of this city. The firm in that branch of business being JUDD, WELLS & CO., of which DR. JUDD is president; and he is also president of the Real-estate Exchange and is engaged in many other enterprises. Not less than 200 houses were erected by this firm in 1889. The success to which Dr. JUDD has attained is due to his inherent energy and enterprise. DR. JUDD was married in Council Bluffs to Miss Anna BRYANT of this city.

Read Terms, Conditions and Disclaimers