Return to the Pottawattamie Co. home page. |  1891 Biography Home  |  Name Index  
Welicome to the 1891 Biographical History of Pottawattamie County






Ba  through  Bm

 


Bair, Isaiah, F.

ISAIAH F. BAIR, one of the old soldier farmers of Valley Township, who when our great civil war broke out, volunteered in defense of the Union and enlisted August 22, 1862 in Company K, 22nd Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry. He served three years and was honorably discharged at Savannah, Georgia. He was in the battles of Fort Gibson, Champion Hill, Black River, Siege of Ricksburg, and the Red River campaign. After this the regiment was transferred to the 19th Army Corps and sent to the east, joining the great Army of the Potomac. He was under Sheridan at Winchester, Fisher's Hill, and Cedar Creek; the latter Mr. Bair describes as the hardest battle in which he participated. He was also in several skirmishes, after which he went to Moorhead, North Carolina; was there ordered to Augusta, Georgia, and was mustered out at Savannah, Georgia. From there he returned to Davenport, Iowa, where he was paid in full and returned home. Mr. BAIR was born in the village of Willwood, Knox Co., Ohio, Sept 21, 1843, son of DAVID BAIR, who was a blacksmith by trade. He (David) was born in Pennsylvania and was the son of CHRISTIAN BAIR, who served in the war of 1812, and also in several skirmishes. His father, the great-grandfather of our subject, served in the Revolutionary war, and was a native of Germany. He emigrated from Pennsylvania to Tuscarawas Co., Ohio, in an early day and built his log cabin in the woods. He was the father of four children: Michael, Jacob, David and Sarah. CHRISTIAN BAIR died in Indiana at the age of 83 years; he was a member of the Dunkard Church, was a prominent farmer and a man of integrity and honesty. DAVID BAIR, the father of our subject, was born on a farm in Pennsylvania and was but a small boy of between three and four years when his father came to Ohio. He learned his trade in that state, and when a young man of 21 years, was married in Indiana to RHODA BYBEE, daughter of JOHN and LUCEANE (LANE) BYBEE. They were the parents of 7 children: John, Robert, Byron, Elizabeth, Lucinda, Rhoda and Ann. The father emigrated to Utah Territory and was one of the pioneers. He died in 1866. Mr. and Mrs. DAVID BAIR were the parents of 9 children: Uriah, Elizabeth who died in infancy; Isaiah, Byron, David, John, Charles, Harvey, and Sarah. After marriage, Mr. BAIR settled in Millwood, Knox Co., Ohio, where he worked at his trade until 1854, when he emigrated with his family to Green Township, Iowa County. He improved a farm in that county and lived there until 1882 when he removed to Iowa City where he is still living at an advanced age. Religiously he is a member of the Methodist Church, of which he is a trustee, and socially he is a Mason, being a member of the blue lodge. He has always lived an honorable and upright life and is respected by all who know him. From such old Revolutionary and pioneer stock, and from men who fought for independence and again to establish it, and who assisted in settling up the untracked forests and wild prairies, descends our soldier citizen. After his return from the war, Mr. ISAIAH BAIR settled in Johnson County on a farm until 1877, when he came to Valley Township and settled on his present farm of 120 acres. Politically he is a Republican, socially a Mason, being a member of the Blue Lodge, and religiously a member of the Methodist Church of which he is a trustee. He has been an Assessor of his county and stands deservedly high as an honorable citizen whose word is as good as his bond. He is a self-made man, having accumulated his property by his own industry and energy. He is a commander of the William Layton Post No. 358 of Oakland, Iowa. He was married in Johnson Co., Iowa, to ALMINRA E. POPHAM, daughter of Richard and Lucy (Barnes) Popham, who were of English descent, and first settled in New England. RICHARD POPHAM was born in Knox Co., Ohio, and was the son of FRANK POPHAM, who was one of the early pioneer merchants and financiers of that state. Richard and Lucy Popham were married in Kosciusko Co., Indiana, and had one child, Alminra E. Popham. They lived in that state until 1860 when they came to Iowa, settling on a farm in Johnson Co. In 1880 they removed to Hancock, Iowa, where the wife died in 1887. Mr. Popham is now living with his daughter and son-in-law. To Mr. and Mrs. BAIR have been born five children: Louisa, who is the wife of Robert MARTIN; Charles is attending school at Iowa City; Clinton, Howard, and Arza.



Baldwin, Caleb
Pages: 231, 232, 233, 234
Submited by Don Enyart, 2002


CALEB BALDWIN was born April 3, 1824, about five miles southeast of the borough of Washington, in the State of Pennsylvania. He enjoyed the advantages of a good primary education, and after completing his preparatory studies he entered Washington College, in his native State, and graduated with honor in the class of 1842. As it was the custom in those early days for students to teach for a year or more before beginning the study of law, he went to Paris, Kentucky, and taught school for one year. He then returned to Washington and studied law with the Hon. T. M. T. McKennan, a distinguished jurist and statesman of Pennsylvania, and at one time Secretary of the Interior under Millard Fillmore, was admitted to the bar in the spring of 1846, and soon afterward removed to Fairfield, Iowa, and commenced the practice of law. His manhood more than justified the promise of his youth, for he rose to marked eminence in the State of Iowa. He resided in Fairfield for eleven years, during which period he was three times elected Prosecuting Attorney of Jefferson County, a position he resigned to accept the appointment of District Judge tendered him by Governor Grimes. 

At the expiration of his term as District Judge he removed to Council Bluffs, in 1857, where he continued to reside the remainder of his life. Two years later, in 1859, he was chosen by the popular voice as one of the Judges of the Supreme Court. Up to that time the judges of the Supreme Court had not been elected directly by the people, and many doubts were entertained whether the choice of a tribunal of such power could be safely trusted to the voice of the masses. In the canvass of that year it was argued with particular vigor against Judge BALDWIN that he was a new and an untried man, and that the State had no assurance that he would be equal to the high position to which he had been nominated. Making no personal appeal to the people, he quietly awaited their choice, and in company with ex-Governor Ralph P. LOWE and Hon. L. D. STOCKTON was elected by a handsome majority. In the classification by lot of the members of the court he drew the four-year term, and after the expiration of two years became by succession the Chief Justice of the State. He discharged the laborious work of his office with such ability, and by his ceaseless attention to the duties of his position and by his impartiality and unassuming manners had so won the confidence of the people, that after the close of the four years he was universally desired by the members of the bar of his own party to accept a renomination, and had he consented would have been chosen by acclamation. He deemed it his duty, however, to decline a renomination, and retired for a time from public life to resume the practice of his profession. Warm-hearted as a friend, energetic and public-spirited as a citizen, and able and impartial as a judge, he carried with him into his retirement the confidence and affection of the people of the entire State.

At a meeting of the Supreme Court the following preamble and resolutions were passed:

Whereas, the judicial term of Hon. Caleb Baldwin is about to expire, and although it was the manifest wish of a large majority of the people of Iowa, the unanimous desire of the Legal Profession of the State that he should continue his connection with our Supreme Bench, yet by his own voluntary determination that connection is about to be severed; and

Whereas, Under such circumstances it is eminently proper for the Bar of the State to give authoritative expression of their sentiments of respect for our retiring Chief Justice; therefore,

Resolved, That in the Hon. Caleb Baldwin we have found and recognize an able, impartial and faithul jurist; that in his comprehensive, yet accurate view of the whole case under consideration he has evinced a capacity for the administration of justice, and at the same time a faithful regard for the principles of law, which is justly envied by all and possessed by but few; that we refer with much pride and confidence to the opinions delivered by him during his term as a vindication of this expression of our sentiments, and as an evidence of the high character of our Supreme Bench, which we are glad to know, through his influence and that of his associates, is being justly recognized and appreciated by the best jurists of other States.

Resolved, That the Hon. Caleb Baldwin, by his uniform dignity, courtesy and kindness on the Bench, has shown how unerringly a true man may exercise authority without showing power, and by his conduct has now and retains our highest regards.

Resolved, That the Hon. Caleb Baldwin carries with him in his retirement our grateful esteem and affection, our sincere wish for his good health, long life and continued usefulness, and our profound regrets that he has felt it to be his duty to dissolve that relation which has for four years existed between us with a pleasure that has been uninterrupted by even the slightest act, word or thought.

His name was freguently suggested with the Chief Magistracy of Iowa, but he could not be prevailed upon to become a candidate before a State Convention. He was a favorite in the West, and if his ambition had been equal to his ability and to the good will of the people toward him, there would have been no office too high for his possible attainment.

In 1864 he was appointed by President Lincoln United States District Attorney for the District of Iowa, which position he held until after the assassination of President Lincoln and the assumption of the Presidency by Andrew Johnson, when he resigned. He again resumed the active practice of his profession at Council Bluffs, associating with him the Hon. George F. Wright. He remained actively in the practice until 1874, when he was appointed by President Grant one of the members of the Alabama Claims Commission, which position he held until his death, which occurred at Council Bluffs, Iowa, December 15, 1876.

Judge Baldwin's life was one of unusual activity and usefulness. As a lawyer he stood at the head of his profession and was without a peer in the West. He was possessed of a natural genius for the law, cultivated and strengthened by careful study and experience. Fortunate in his early legal training, and still more fortunate in being endowed with the strictest integrity and an untiring industry, he infused into his decisions and thus into the legal monuments of the State the spirit which he imbued from a life-long intercourse with the highest sources of the law. As a judicial writer Judge Baldwin had clearness, succinctness and force. He always meant what he said and said what he meant in the fewest possible words and most direct manner, and seldom, if ever, failed to illustrate clearly and logically his earnest and honest convictions whatever the subject with which he dealt. As a citizen of Council Bluffs Judge BALDWIN was active in all public affairs and zealous for the upbuilding of the city and its future welfare. He was closely identified with its struggles, growth and prosperity. Nor did he limit his work to the city. He helped build his State. He carried to public position what he had shown in private life, - business habits and a carefully trained legal mind.

Nature had endowed Judge Baldwin with a form of manly dignity and a face of impressive benevolence. With remarkably pleasing manners, he commanded the admiration of all who met him. In his influence over men and their emotions he had a sublime mastery, and he took pleasure in affording needed relief and imparting to others that desirable inspiration which he himself possessed. As a friend he was generous, kind, true and faithful. He was deliberate in drawing conclusions and judging faults. His heart was large enough to embrace within its sympathies all classes. Ever willing to lend a helping hand, whether to one in need of encouragement or in distress, affable and obliging, Judge Baldwin was personally popular with rich and poor, high and low, alike. He was a leader and controller of men and a great organizer, and he was, as has often been said of him, "the Von Moltke of Iowa politics;" but the essential element of his success had a surer foundation than this. He was distinguished for his unchallenged honesty; holding some of the most responsible positions in his State and nation, his course was ever marked by unswerving integrity. He was faithful to every public duty and true to his friends. He never betrayed a public trust or a personal friend. In private life he was genial and companionable, in the home he was the dutiful son, an affectionate husband, a kind and indulgent father.

In 1848 Judge Baldwin was married to Miss Jane Barr, a daughter of the Rev. Thomas Barr, of Rushville, Indiana. She was a woman admirably fitted to be the wife of so noble a husband. She had more than average intellectual force, and her natural powers had been cultivated, enlarged and developed by careful study and training. For this reason she was an acquisition to society, and it enabled her to fulfill the duties devolving upon her as the wife of a prominent man and the mother of a large family. After the death of her husband she held the office of Postmistress in the city of Council Bluffs during the administration of President HAYES and part of Garfield's. Her administration of that office was marked by the utmost fidelity and acceptance, and she left behind her a monument of virtue that the storms of time can never destroy. Her deeds of kindness, love and mercy shown to the many with whom she came in contact year by year, will never be forgotten.

Judge Baldwin died December 15, 1876, after a long and painful illness. Calm, resigned, with an unswerving faith in the future, he passed quietly and peacefully away, just as he had reached the zenith of his capabilities, just as his mind fully disciplined by exercise, matured by experience and enlarged by observation, was capable of its best and grandest achievements, in the midst of public employment and arduous duties, surrounded by a host of earnest friends, and in the bosom of an interesting family. In the power of example, in the wealth of an earnest, active, true life, he still lives.

As a mark of the high respect and esteem in which he was held by the Court of Claims, and also by the Iowa delegation then in Congress, resolutions fittingly portraying his character and virtues were unanimously adopted by both these bodies, spread upon the record of the Court and the history of Iowa in Congress.



Baldwin, John N.
Pages: 279, 280
Submitted by: Don Enyart, 2002


JOHN N. BALDWIN was born in Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie County, Iowa, on the 9th day of July, 1857. His father was the Hon. Caleb Baldwin, whose biography is the first under head of Pottawattamie County. His mother was Jane Baldwin, whose maiden name was Jane Barr.

Mr. Baldwin attended the public schools of Council Bluffs, and in 1873, when sixteen years of age, went to the State University at Iowa City. He was in the collegiate department of this institution three years. In the fall of 1875 he entered the Columbia Law School at Washington, District of Columbia, where he had gone to remain with his father, who at that time was a member of the Court of Commissioners of Alabama Claims. After remaining there one year he again returned to Iowa City and entered the law department there in the fall of 1876, and graduated therefrom with some distinction in June, 1877. He immediately began the practice of law at Council Bluffs, becoming the junior member of the firm of Rising, Wright & Baldwin, the senior members of the firm being A. J. Rising and the Hon. George F. Wright. Mr. Baldwin soon engaged actively in the practice and in a short time became one of the leading members of the bar of Pottawattamie County, Iowa. In 1880 Mr. Rising left the firm and went to Colorado, and the firm of Wright & Baldwin was then organized, and continued until 1889, when the two sons of Mr. Wright were taken into the firm.

Mr. Baldwin was married in December, 1878, to Miss Lilla G. Holcom, of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. They have two children, a girl named Genevieve, and a boy named John N., Jr.



Baldwin, John T.


John T. BALDWIN was born October 12, 1820, Washington County, in the State of Pennsylvania, and died in Council Bluffs, Iowa, on January 30, 1890. While his education was not what is termed liberal, yet he was a man of extensive observation, a great reader, possessed of strong intellectual powers, which he so thoroughly developed that he was at all times enabled to successfully cope with the best minds that he came in contact with. Having large practical experience in business, a sound judgment, coupled with good common sense, he mingled largely with men of affairs, both in the State and in the Nation, and became himself pre-eminently a man of affairs, and one of the leading and most influential men of Iowa, his adopted State.
About the time that he attained his majority he engaged in mercantile pursuits in the village of Washington, Pennsylvania, and in the year 1844 removed to Fairfield, Iowa. In 1853 Mr. BALDWIN closed out his business interests in eastern Iowa and removed to Council Bluffs, where he resumed his mercantile pursuits. In 1856 he established a land agency in Council Bluffs and also engaged in banking. While so engaged in banking and land agency from 1856 to 1869, he was associated with General G. M. DODGE, under the firm name of BALDWIN & DODGE. In 1869 he organized the Pacific National Bank, and became a director and vice-president of the same. In March, 1877, as principal owner he organized the Broadway Street Railway Company and constructed and operated in Council Bluffs the first street railway, running the same to the Union Pacific Railway depot, the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad depot and to other portions of the city.
In 1854 he was elected a member of the State Legislature on the Republican ticket. He discharged his duties with ability, and was ever faithful to the trusts committed to his charge. As a member of the Legislature of Iowa he was active and attentive to his duties and diligent in performing them. He was watchful in protecting the rights and promoting the interests of the people he represented. He was possessed of much and varied knowledge, which he was always ready to use in promoting the prosperity and welfare of his adopted State. When Council Bluffs first became incorporated he was elected a member of the City Council, and in March, 1877, he was elected to the office of Mayor. In 1876 he was sent as a delegate to the National Republican Convention held in Cincinnati, Ohio. No man could be more devoted to a city than he was to the city of Council Bluffs, and no man who ever lived in the city did as much for it as did Mr. BALDWIN. He was ever watchful of its interests, rights and honors, and when in office served the city faithfully. He experienced great pleasure in contemplating its growth of population and industries. Coming to Council Bluffs when it had a population of less than 5,000, he witnessed its slow but sure growth into a city of 35,000. He also took a deep interest in the western section of our country -- in the advancement of its civilization and the development of its material interest. He was in all respects a splendid type of a western man. He was energetic, enterprising, industrious and self-reliant.
Mr. BALDWIN was married in August 1843 to Miss Jane HUNTER, of Washington, Pennsylvania, and by her had three daughters. In private life he was a genial and agreeable companion, a warm and sincere friend. No man could hear him talk as he often did of his mother, wife and children without being impressed that he was an affectionate son, husband and father.




Name: Ball, William. D.


WILLIAM D. BALL, of secton 30, Hardin Township, came to this county in 1879, where he has since resided. He was born in Parke County, Indiana, January 15, 1847, the son of Zopher and Deborah (MOTHORN) BALL, the former a native of Sullivan County, Ohio, and the latter of Tennessee. The parents were married in Parke County, Indiana. William D. was eight years of age when his parents came, in 1855, and settled in Marion County, Iowa, where they were among the early pioneers. The father lived there until his death in 1860, and the mother came to Pottawattamie County about 1879, and lived until her death, near Oakland, at the age of seventy-four years. They had three sons and four daughters, of whom two sons and two daughters are in Pottawattamie County. William D., the fourth child, lived in Marion County until 1867, when he went to Denver, Salt Lake, Idaho and Wyoming. He worked for the Northern Pacific Railroad, engaged in freighting and railroad work. After three years he returned to Marion County, Iowa, and in 1875 he came to Pottawattamie County, where he lived two years. He then moved to Shelby County, remaining two years, and then returned and bought eighty acres of wild land in Pottawattamie County, where he now lives, and where he has made many improvements. At the age of twenty-seven years he was married to Delia ORR, who was born in Illinois, but reared in Missouri. She is the daughter of Anthony and Jane (BLAKE) ORR, of Scotch-Irish extraction. Mr. and Mrs. BALL have reared four children: Maggie Jane, Marion, Rosa May and Bertie Lee. Their eldest child, Clarence, died at five years of age. Politically Mr. BALL is a Democrat.




Barnett. E. S.


E. S. BARNETT was born in New Haven, Connecticut, January 14, 1833, son of Willis and Rosetta (SMITH) BARNETT, natives of Connecticut, of English and Scotch origin. The mother died in New Haven in March 1855, and the father died in 1871, at the age of seventy-one years.
Mr. BARNETT was reared in his native State and remained there until 1857, when he came to Iowa. He was educated in the public schools and attended an academy one term. During his youth he took up the edge-tool trade, receiving instructions from a thorough mechanic and following that trade for a time. After coming to Iowa he turned his attention to blacksmithing, which he engaged in for a number of years, in fact, until about 1876, when he suffered a partial paralysis of his right arm, and was forced to give up his trade. In 1878 he was appointed deputy revenue collector, in which capacity he served seven years. In 1886 he was elected Justice of the Peace, and was re-elected in 1888. Politically he is a Republican, and is one of the active members of that party. He has held the office of Street Commissioner. Mr. BARNETT came to Pottawattamie County in 1866, and has been a resident of this county since that time. He is one of the leading citizens of Council Bluffs, and an active worker in anything that tends to the public good.
He was married, in New Haven, Connecticut, May 30, 1854, to Sarah A. JACOBS, a native of that State, and a daughter of Enoch and Sarah (BROWN) JACOBS, who were of French descent. Mr. and Mrs. BARNETT are the parents of two children: Lena, wife of Jonathan CHASE, of Weeping Water, Nebraska; and Catharine, wife of F. H. YOUNG, of Durango, Colorado. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Mr. BARNETT having been associated with the church since he was nineteen years old. He is now treasurer of the church board and also a steward. Mr. BARNETT is a member of the I.O.O.F., Hawkeye Lodge, No. 184, and of the I.O.G.T.




Name: Barstow, J. M.


J.M. BARSTOW is one of the leading physicians and surgeons of the city. He was born in Fulton Co, Illinois, September 10, 1854, son of SAMUEL and ELEANOR (COULSON) BARSTOW. The latter is of English descent and a native of Illinois. SAMUEL BARSTOW was born in Muskingum Co, Ohio. He and his wife came to Mills Co, Iowa, October 1855 and settled on a farm 20 miles south of Council Bluffs and in 1871 came to Pottawattamie Co, Iowa, purchasing their present farm six miles south of Council Bluffs, where they still reside. They had three sons and two daughters, all living: James M., our subject; Rozeltha, wife of JOSEPH STOKER farmer of Mills Co, Iowa; Alice J., wife of EDWARD McINTYRE farmer of Harrison Co, Iowa; Miss Ena H, Teacher in Bloomer School at Council Bluffs; Guy E, resides with is brother, Dr. Barstow. Dr. BARSTOW was but a year old when his parents came to Mills County, Iowa. He first attended a subscription school in a slab house in Mills, afterward the district and public schools. He also attended the Bellevue High School, of Bellevue, Nebraska, two terms; then taught during the summers and attended school during the winters; also attended college at the Methodist Seminary at Glenwood, Mills County. He then taught four years and accumulated money sufficient to take his first course of lectures at Keokuk College of Physicians and Surgeons. He continued to earn the money during vacations to pay for his tuition and expenss at the college, from which he graduated in March 1880. While a student at the Medical College, he was a very hard worker, pursuing not only the regular course of studies, but also taking private instruction from eminent members of the faculty in diseases of the eye and ear, and also in obstetrics. After his graduation he immediately began the practice of medicine in Council Bluffs, but being very ambitious of taking a high place in his profession, he took the first opportunity of going to Bellevue Medical College, New York City, where he had the advantage of the instruction, both theoretical and practical, of the most eminent physicians and surgeons of the day, and also the immense advantages of hospital practice. He graduated from this college in March 1884, having taken special instructions in practice, surgery, obstetrics and diseases of women and children, aside from the rgular course of lectures and hospital processes. After his graduation at Bellevue, he again resumed his practice at Council Bluffs. Dr. BARSTOW is a member of the Presybterian church, is one of the staff of the Pottawattamie Co. Asylum for the Insane, both visiting and consulting; also of St. Bernard's Hospital. He enjoys the confidence and respect of all who know him. The doctor has been very successful in his practice, and by reason of his kindly manners and painstaking care he is well liked by his patients. Both he and his wife are popular socially. Dr. BARSTOW belongs to the State Medical Society, is a member of the Medical Society of the Missouri Valley and also of the Council Bluffs Medical Society and has been president of this latter society. He is in vigorous, robust health, capable of a great deal of hard work and study; honest, frank, and manly in his character and demeanor, imbued with a generous ambition and possessed of the advantages of a strong mind and thorough, practical education and training. He was united in marriage to Miss CARRIE M. SHEPARD, October 29, 1884. She was born in Ohio and is a daughter of NATHANIEL and RUTH (FOUTZ) SHEPARD. Dr. and Mrs. Barstow have one child, Ruth.



Name: Barstow, Samuel


SAMUEL BARSTOW is a native of Muskingum Co, Ohio, born August 18, 1829, five miles north of Zanesville, the son of Samuel and Alvira (Woodruff) Barstow, natives of Maine and Ohio respectively. The mother died May 5, 1840 and the father died at Farmington, Illinois, in 1867. They had a family of 7 children of whom only 5 still survive; Warren H., deceased in Illinois; George W. of Licking Co, Ohio; Willis of Cleveland, Ohio; Samuel, our subject; Anthony H, deceased; Martha, wife of M.W. Spaulding, residing in Tecumseh, Nebraska; Stephen of Farmington, Illinois; and Sarah A., deceased in infancy. Mr. Barstow was again married, this time ot Mary L. Jet, of Ohio, who died in 1889, at Farmington, Illinois. By this marriage there were 7 children: Judson, who died in Andersonville prison after having been wounded at the battle of Chickahominy Swamps. He was first taken to Libby prison, thence to Andersonville, where he died of abuse and neglect; Elvira, deceased, wife of M.W. Spaulding of Tecumseh, Nebraska; Henry, deceased in Illinois; Eliza, a resident of Farmington, Illinois; Ann, deceased; Milton, deceased; Ross, a resident of Farmington. Samuel Barstow Jr. our subject, was reared in his native county and remained at home until he had attained his majority. He was brought up to farm life and received his education in the old log schoolhouse of those days. Sept 19, 1853, he removed to Fulton Co., Illinois, where he remained a short time and then removed to Peoria Co., working at whatever presented itself, farming being his principal occupation. He was married Nov 24, 1853, to Eleanor A. Caulson, daughter of William S. and Hephzibah (Eno) Caulson, natives of England and New York. The mother, born in Michigan in 1804, still resides in the state of Washington, near Olympia. The father died in 1844 at age 43 years. They had a family of 10 children, of whom 7 still survive: Hannah T., wife of Ambrose Clark, of Union County Oregon; Sarah Ann, widow of J.W. Clark, residing in Mills County, Iowa; William P., deceased in Mexico; Mary O., deceased, was the wife of Charles Davis of Exeter, Nebraska; Eleanor A., wife of the subject of this sketch; Jakie, a resident of California; Imle E., of Cordelan Mines, Idaho; Emeline, widow of J.S. Sherwood, of the state of Washington; Henry S., also of Washington. Eleanor, wife of our subject, was born in Peoria Co., Illinois, near Peoria city, January 29, 1832, where she was reared and married. In the fall of 1855 they came to Iowa and located in Mills County, where Mr. Barstow purchased a pre-emption right of raw prairie, with no improvements whatever. Here they made their home for 8 years and improved 80 acres. In 1863 they returned to Illinois, where they spent one year, and then returned to Iowa, spending four years in Mills Co.; returned to Peoria and spent one year, and again returned to Mills Co. In April 1872 they located on their present farm of 40 acres on the southwest quarter of section 31, Lewis township, Pottawattamie Co. Here they at once commenced improvements, erected a small residence, 16 X 21, and one and a half stories high. They made their home here for several years, when they removed to their present residence. Mr. Barstow has added to his first purchase until he now has 160 acres of finely improved land, the most of which he has done himself. When they landed in Iowa they had nothing but pluck and energy, but by close application they have secured for themselves a comfortable home. He devotes himself principally to farming and stock-raising. Politically he is a stanch Republican, taking an active part in all of the political work of the county. He has held the office of Justice of the peace and Road Supervisor, and while in Mills Co. he was chosen as Supervisor of the county two terms. Mr. and Mrs. Barstow are members of the Christian Church, of which he is an ordained elder. They have five children: James M., born Sept 1854, a practicing physician of Council Bluffs; Roseltha, wife of Joseph Stoker, residing at Mills Co.; Alice J., born January 20, 1858, wife of Edward P. McIntyre, of Harrison Co., Iowa; Hepsie E., born Sept 15, 1865, is a teacher in the public schools of Council Bluffs; Elvira, deceased; Guy E., born July 28, 1873, is at home.




Name: Barton, J. J.

J. J. BARTON, proprietor of the St. Joe Livery, Feed and Sale Stable, 706 South Main street, Council Bluffs, carries a stock of some $8,000 or $9,000, and also buys and sells horses on commission. He took charge of the barn in July, 1888, and is doing a good business. He was born in Lincolnshire, England, in 1856, the son of Frederick and Mary (TOMLINSON) BARTON of English parentage. He was reared to farm life in his native country, and in 1872 his parents emigrated to America, locating at Council Bluffs, where they have since resided, except that the father died in 1876. In 1878 our present subject commenced to take care of himself by operating his farm south of Council Bluffs for one year. Afterward he engaged in various pursuits until 1887-'88, when he engaged in buying and selling hay and in threshing, which he followed until he took his present place. He has a good farm in South Dakota, and also owns an interest in a farm of eighty acres in Lewis Township. Politically Mr. BARTON is a Democrat, taking an active interest in the public welfare.
He was married September 8, 1889, to Miss Lillie PARDAN, a native of Council Bluffs, who was born in 1870, and they have an infant daughter.



Name: Barton, Reuben


REUBEN BARTON, of Weston, Pottawattamie County, is a native of Plainfield, Hampshire County, Massachusetts, the son of Nathan and Sarah (BURROUGHS) BARTON, and was born January 9, 1812. His parents were natives of the same State, where they were married, and reared a family of thirteen children. In 1823 they removed to Phelps, Ontario County, New York. The same year the father died, and the mother with the unmarried portion of the family, nine in number, returned to Massachusetts, where they remained until 1832, when the subject of this narrative, at the age of twenty years, decided to again go West, and this time to Ohio, where the family, consisting of the mother and four children, arrived November 21, 1832, and settled in the town of Huntsburg, Geauga County. There, in the spring of 1833, Reuben purchased fifty acres of wild land, heavy timber, at $2.50 per acre, paying $30 down. Our subject went to work with a will to prepare a home for himself and mother and a young sister, which he did by hard and incessant toil, chopping and piling the immense growth of timber in heaps, and burning it up! (What a treasure would our Iowa farmers esteem a few acres of such timber!) Here he remained, improving and cultivating the soil for about three years, when his mother accepted an offer of marriage from Mr. Jacob WARRENER, with whom she lived until her death, which occured in 1853.
After the marriage of his mother Mr. BARTON made his home with a brother-in-law, N. M. FAUN, for about two years, when, in September, 1837, in company with the brother-in-law, he removed to Coles County, Illinois, then mostly in a state of nature. Here he entered 120 acres of Government land, consisting mostly of prairie, with a good supply of timber, and again erected a log cabin and commenced his favorite occupation of farming, while yet in single blessedness, until February 11, 1838, when he was joined in wedlock to Marcia E. WILSON, who was born in St. Alban's, Vermont, December 25, 1811, and by whom he had three children, two boys and one daughter: Nathan Henry, the eldest, born April 13, 1840, now resides at San Bernardino, California; Reuben Almon, born November 10, 1842, and resides at Meadville, Keya Paha County, Nebraska, (both have families and both served through the war of the Rebellion), and Marcia E., born in Hancock County, Illinois, July 26, 1845, to which county he had removed in the spring of 1844, and where his wife died September 8, 1846, and the infant died September 25, 1846.
He had purchased a forty-acre farm, and had begun to accumulate around him the comforts of life, when the destroying angel entered and desolation reigned supreme. This was indeed a day of adversity, and, to add to his afflictions, the horrors of a "Mormon War" seemed impending, mobs of infuriated men traversing the country threatening devastation and ruin! and to avoid the impending conflict he again removed to the adjoining county of Henderson, to remain until peace and order were restored, which was soon accomplished.
He then returned to his home in Hancock County, where he remained until he removed to Pottawattamie County, Iowa, in June, 1852. In the meantime he took a second wife, by the name of Almera W. JOHNSON, by whom he had three daughters. Her family were quite numerous and conspicuous in the Mormon church. In the spring of 1853 he bought a claim on section 30, township 76, range 43, and subsequently entered the southwest one-fourth thereof, and afterward added eighty acres of the same section. The only improvement on the land was a small log cabin, in which he made his home until 1857, when by dint of hard work and strict economy he succeeded in erecting a comfortable frame house and other necessary out-buildings; large and spacious barns were added from time to time.
About this time and three years subsequently a warning proclamation for the scattered remnants of saints to flee to the mountains, to the only place of safety on this continent from the devastations of impending war, was issued by Brigham Young, and there was a general departure of the faithful from this part of the country, and especially of the JOHNSON family; and to go and leave one behind was not to be thought of. Hence an influence was brought to bear upon Mrs. BARTON, which culminated in her going with the rest in the summer of 1861. Thus in the forty-ninth year of his age, and twenty-third of his married life, he was the second time bereft of wife; and this time, what was dearer than wife; three girls died, the eldest eleven years, and the youngest five years and six months; the youngest died December 20, 1861, and the eldest died March 23, 1870.
The Mother and only one daughter (feeble-minded) still live at Parowan, Utah.
At this time (1861) the war of the Rebellion had become notorious, and Mr. BARTON's eldest son, being of age, enlisted in Company B, Fourth Iowa Infantry. His other son, not yet twenty, received his permission, and enlisted in Company A, Twenty-nineth Iowa Volunteer Infantry; thus leaving Mr. BARTON alone on the farm, a sort of recluse, to "hold the fort," and "ponder upon the vicisitudes of human life." At the close of the war the sons returned without the mark of a Rebel bullet, but impaired in health.
In the fall of 1867 our subject made a visit to Ohio, and October 20, 1867, was married the third time, this time to Maria J. CAROTHERS, the youngest of a large family, her birthplace being Phelps, Ontario County, New York, and born October 19, 1818. Her parents, John and Betsey (SICKLER) CAROTHERS, were born in 1774 and 1778 respectively. The father's death occurred February 17, 1842, and the mother's September 8, 1853, in Burton Ohio.
Mr. BURTON is a firm believer in the Spiritual philosophy, and his wife of the Christian Church. He is a life-long Republican, and was at one time the only one who cast a Republican vote in his precinct. Although his party was generally in the minority, he was often elected Justice of the Peace, and served as such for many years, and until he positively refused to accept any longer. Schools received his early attention, and he was mainly instrumental in getting the first school district organized in his precinct, and drew the first public funds, and as member of the board did all he could to promote the best interests of the community by establishing schools. He was commissioned a Notary Public in 1886, and is serving his second term, which expires in 1892.
In June, 1884, having arrived at an age when he could not attend properly to the care and labors of a farm, and on account of the feeble state of his wife's health, he was induced to sell the farm, which was well supplied with choice fruits, containing over 300 bearing trees. This arrangement was carried out, and he removed to Weston, his present residence, where he owns one acre of land and a comfortable dwelling, with the purpose of spending the remnant of his days in retirement. Having commenced life with nothing but good health and a determination to achieve a competence for himself and family, he feels that his efforts have not been in vain. He has been a pioneer in three different States, Iowa being the last, where he has lived thirty-eight years and witnessed magnificent improvements.
But this brief narrative of a long and eventful life would be incomplete and unsatisfactory without the following biographical sketch, written by himself; although it necessitates a little repetition, the cause of which occurred subsequent to the writing of the foregoing, and published in the Council Bluffs Nonpareil, September 24, 1890;
Mrs. Maria Jane BARTON, consort of Reuben BARTON, departed this life, September 10, 1890. She was born in Phelps Town, Ontario County, New York, October 19, 1818 and was the youngest of the numerous family of John and Betsy CAROTHERS. Her father removed to Burton, Geauga County, Ohio, in 1832, where he died February 17-18, 1842. She being the only unmarried one of the family, the care of her father during a lingering sickness fell upon her. After his death the care of an invalid mother, who had become blind and helpless, devolved upon her until her death, September 18, 1853, leaving our subject at the age of thirty-five, with feeble health and quite limited means. By overwork in lifting her mother through a series of years, she had contracted a disease of the spine, from which she was a great sufferer. She was under medical treatment by eminent physicians for eleven years, when she was so much improved as to enter the marriage relation with Reuben BARTON in the fall of 1867, and came with him to this county, where she resided until her death. She was a great sufferer from sickness. The change of climate improved her, but did not restore her to sound health. In 1884 the removal to Weston for a time seemed to be beneficial; but in September, 1887, she had a stroke of paralysis of the left side, from which she never recovered, although able to be about the house until the last fatal attack, which occurred August 9, 1890; she was then forced to bed, from which she never arose again. She survived, in great agony, a month, ceasing to breathe September 10, when she passed peacefully away, and there passed from earth life one of nature's noble women. Her sympathetic impulses knew no bounds; where duty seemed to call she was always ready, and to a sense of duty she sacrificed her health and life. They laid her tenderly to rest September 11, 1890.




Battin, Vincent


Vincent BATTIN, contractor and builder, has his office on Seventh street, between Broadway and First avenue, and his residence on the corner of Mynster and North Eighth streets. He established his business in Council Bluffs in 1867 and since that time has been actively engaged here. Some of the principal buildings erected by him are the Ogden Hotel, Whitney Block, Everett Block, corner of Pearl street, Key Block, Farnsworth residence, Champ's residence and J. J. Brown's residence, besides many others that might be cited.
Mr. BATTIN was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, in 1833, son of Ezra and Julina (KEITH) BATTIN, natives of Pennsylvania, and Virginia, who came to Ohio while quite young. The paternal ancestors were Welsh and Irish and the maternal English. Vincent was reared in Ohio and educated in the public schools of that State. He also learned the carpenter's trade in his native State. At the age of twenty he went to Indiana, and spent four years in Greensburgh; thence to Lawrence, Kansas, two years; thence to Colorado, spending three years in Denver and the mines; thence to Idaho and Oregon, three years, working at his trade and mining. In 1867 he came to Council Bluffs, and since then has been an active and enterprising businessman of this city. He employs an average of ten men the year round, his pay roll amounting to $6,000 annually. His annual business averages about $25,000. Politically Mr. BATTIN is an independent Republican.
He was married in Idaho, in 1866, to Jennie ROGERS, who was born in Illinois, in 1843. Mr. BATTIN and his wife are worthy citizens of Council Bluffs and are favorites in society circles.




Beck, Christian H.


CHRISTIAN H. BECK, a farmer of Lewis Township, Pottawattamie County, was born in Holstein, Germany, August 22, 1827, and came to America with his parents. His father, Asmes Henry BECK, was a native of Holstein, Germany. He was a tailor by trade, and also owned a small farm. He was married to Elsebee KICKBUST, whose family were great land-holders in Germany. In 1853 they came to America and landed in Davenport, Iowa, where they remained about four years. Then they came to Pottawattamie County, Lewis Township, where they purchased eighty acres of "raw" land in the Plumer settlement, which they improved. They afterward rented this land, and lived with their daughter, Mrs. WHITLAND, of Lewis Township. The mother died on the old home farm in the PLUMER settlement, and the father died at WHITLAND's. They had a family of ten children, viz: Christian Henry, our subject; Margaret, deceased, wife of Henry SCHWORTS; Catharine M., the wife of H. H. SPETMAN, of Lewis Township; Fred K., residing with his brother, C. H.; Elsie N., wife of John SPETMAN, residing in Nebraska; Asmes H., deceased; Hans, deceased; Henry, deceased; Christina, wife of Dick MESSMAN, of Lewis Township. The parents were members of the Lutheran Church.

Christian H., our subject, was reared to farm life, and engaged in the war of 1848 against Denmark, serving three years. He also engaged in horse-trading while in the old country, and traveled a great deal. He was second sergeant in the war in Germany, served faithfully and was a gallant soldier. After he came to Davenport, he spent some two years, and then came to Lewis Township, Pottawattamie County, where he purchased a farm of eighty acres on section 35, which he improved and used for a pasture-farm. He remained on this place about ten years, when he and his brother, Asmes, bought 240 acres of unimproved land on sections 3 and 10, Lewis Township. They built a small frame house, 16 x 16, where they lived one summer, and which they now use for a granary. Mr. BECK then built his present home, also a frame residence, 32 x 34 feet, and has erected a number of good barns for stock and grain, the main one being 62 x 40 feet, which is one of the finest barns in this part of the county. He has planted five acres of orchard and groves. He has added to his first purchase until he has now 520 acres, on sections 9, 10 and 11, and eighty acres on section 35, making in all 600 acres. He has made all the improvements the farm contains, and has done a vast amount of labor in this county. He devotes himself to farming and stock-raising; also buys feed and ships a large amount of stock. He is a Democrat, always taking an active part in the political work of his county. He has represented his township as Trustee and School Director.

Mr. BECK was married in June 1859 to Sarah YOUNG, daughter of Jacob and Sarah (SEAMAN) YOUNG, who came from Alsace, Germany, about 1853 or 1854, and located for a time in Ohio, and then came to Pottawattamie County. The father died in Mills County, Iowa, in 1886, and the mother still resides there. The father was a farmer and also owned a large vineyard and made large quantities of wine, but after coming to this country he followed farming. They were members of the Lutheran Church, and had a family of eight children: Jacob, deceased in the old country; Hans, also deceased in the old country; Catharine, deceased in Loudonville, Ohio; Sarah, wife of the subject of this sketch; Jacob, deceased; George, residing in Pottawattamie County, Iowa; Margaret, wife of Adolph GUISE, residing in Pottawattamie County, Iowa; John, a resident of Mills County, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. BECK have eleven children: Ferdinand, born July 25, 1862, died April 20, 1888; Laura, born June 9, 1864, died April 1, 1868; Margaret, born May 22, 1866, is the wife of Ferdinand PLUMER, near Sioux City, Iowa; Rosa, born July 25, 1868, is at home; Freddie, born June 9, 1871: Christina, born September 1, 1872, died in October, 1874; Gotlieb, born December 14, 1874; John, born August 6, 1877; Adolph, born January 13, 1861; Alvina, born October 8, 1883, died May 29, 1888; and Dickie, born October 11, 1885.

Mr. and Mrs. BECK are members of the German Lutheran Church.




Beezley, Paul


PAUL BEEZLEY has been a resident of this county since 1879. He was born in Shelby County, Ohio, March 24, 1839, the son of John and Elizabeth (ELLSWORTH) BEEZLEY. His mother was a distant relative of Colonel ELLSWORTH, who was killed in Virginia. Mr. and Mrs. BEEZLEY reared a family of nine children, Paul being the youngest. Captain William BEEZLEY, a prominent citizen of Macedonia, a sketch of whom appears in this work, is their first born.
The subject of this sketch grew to manhood on his father's farm in Ohio, and received a common-school education. March 28, 1858, he was married, in his native county, to Miss Eleanor LEWIS, a native of New Jersey, daughter of Samuel and Catherine LEWIS, also of New Jersey. The fruit of this union was two children: Elizabeth A., who died at the age of three years, and William, who is married, has one child and resides in Council Bluffs. The wife and mother, Eleanor BEEZLEY, died May 10, 1866, in Shelby County, Ohio.
October 12, 1861, is the date of Mr. BEEZLEY's enlistment in Company F, Twentieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and he served until July 15, 1865. His regiment was in thirty-two battles, in the most of which he participated. Among them are the battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth, Pea Ridge, Black River Bridge, Jackson, Champion Hill, and in the engagements around Vicksburg until its surrender to General GRANT, July 4, 1863. He was in a number of other important engagements; was with SHERMAN on his memorable march from Atlanta to the sea; and, finally, was with those who participated in the grand review at Washington. He was honorably discharged at Louisville, Kentucky, after which he returned to his home in Shelby County, Ohio.
Mr BEEZLEY was married, September 28, 1867, at that place, to Miss Jerusha Ann SIMMS, a native of Miami County, Ohio, daughter of C. K. SIMMS and Mary, his wife, both natives of New England. By his second marriage Mr. BEEZLEY had five children, viz.: John, a resident of Pottawattamie County; Minnie, at home; Othello, also of this county; Mattie, a resident of Missouri; and Jesse, who died at the age of five years. Mrs. BEEZLEY died August 30, 1878. November 24, 1881, Mr. BEEZLEY wedded his present wife, nee Miss Sophronia FIELD, a lady of intelligence and refinement, who was born and reared in Pottawattamie County, daughter of John and Sarah A. FIELD, of Wheel's Grove. By her he has three children: Rudy R., Vernon L. and Melissie Valentine.
Mr. BEEZLEY made his home in Shelby County until 1868, when he moved to Logan County, Illinois. In 1876 he removed from there to Mills County, Iowa, and settled near Emerson. In 1879 he came to this county, and for two years lived near Macedonia. Then he came to his present farm, and has since made his home here. He owns eighty acres of well improved land, but his farming operations are not limited to this, as he also cultivates other lands. He keeps a large number of cattle and is very successful with his stock. Jordan Creek flows through his farm and affords a constant supply of water for stock purposes.
In his political views Mr. BEEZLEY is a Republican. He is a member of William Layton Post at Oakland, and is also associated with the Masonic fraternity, having been made a Mason in Miami County, Ohio. He afterward joined at Emerson, and is now a member of Ruby Lodge. Mrs. BEEZLEY is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.




Beezley, William

WILLIAM BEEZLEY, of section 22, Macedonia Township, was born in Clarke County, Ohio, two miles east of Springfield, in January, 1818, the son of John BEEZLEY, who was born in Brown County, Ohio, and was one of the earliest settlers of that State, and whose father, William BEEZLEY, came there with Daniel BOONE, and built the first grist-mill on the Little Miami River. The BEEZLEYS were a patriotic family, and John BEEZLEY, William's father, though a boy, was with his father a short time in the war of 1812. His grandfather was made Captain under General William HARRISON, and the subject and his father both lived to vote for General and Ben HARRISON. The father lived to an advanced age, being born in October, 1797, and died in Clarke County, Ohio, March 7, 1889, at about ninety years of age. Our subject's mother was Elizabeth (ELLSWORTH) BEEZLEY, who was born in Martinsburg, Virginia, of an old Virginia family; Colonel ELLSWORTH of the late war was her second cousin.

William BEEZLEY, our subject, was reared in Ohio, engaged in farming and stock-raising until 1857, when he removed to Logan County, Illinois. When the war broke out he enlisted in the first Illinois regiment that went out, and he again enlisted in 1862, in the One Hundred and Sixth Illinois Infantry, Company F, and served until the close of the war. He was at Island 62, siege of Vicksburg, the taking of Little Rock, Arkansas, and went up the Red River with General STEELE as far as Jenkins' Ferry and was in many other engagements. He then went out as Captain, and after the death of the Major he was elected to fill his place, and was made Lieutenant, Colonel, and had charge of the regiment during the last year. He had three sons and two boys he had raised in the war: John T., in the Thirty-eighth Illinois Infantry, serving nearly five years, and came out with a Captain's commission; he lives in Crawford County, Kansas, near Gerard; Cassius C., who served in the One Hundred and Sixth Regiment Illinois with his father, was killed at Island 62, and was buried near there; William James, in the One Hundred and Forty-fifth Illinois Regiment, and now lives in southern Nebraska, near Orleans. The two boys Mr. BEEZLEY took to raise were James FERGUSON, in the Seventh Regiment, and now resides in southwestern Kansas, near Wichita; and Charles RUSSUM, in the Thirty-eighth Regiment, and died at Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Our subject resided in Logan County until 1876, when he came to this county, and bought 320 acres of land on the Nishnabotna River. He now owns 510 acres of good land on sections 21, 22 and 15, which is partly improved. He was first married in Miami County, Ohio, when twenty-five years of age, to Polly Ann CASTLE, who was born in Maryland. They had six children, of whom five are now living: John, at Gerard, Kansas; Emeline, the wife of Newton BOYLES, of Graham County, Kansas; Cassius C., who was killed on island 62; William James, residing in southwestern Nebraska; and Jenny, the wife of Cornelius STOCKTON, of Hanson County, Dakota. Mrs. BEEZLEY died in 1880, and Mr. BEEZLEY was again married December 20, 1884, to Miss Anna FAWCETT, who was born in England. By this union there were three children: Benjamin Roscoe, George Fawcett and Elmer Smith. Politically he is a Republican, and is a member of the G. A. R., Updegraff Post, Macedonia charter. He was made a Mason in Ohio nearly half a century ago. He was raised in the old-school Baptist Church, but joined the Methodist Episcopal Church over fifty years ago.



Bellinger, M. J.
Bellinger, F. P.


Drs. F.P. and M.J. BELLINGER, of Council Bluffs, formed their present partnership in 1886, since which time they have been doing a general practice. The former is an expert in the diseases of the eye and ear, which he made a specialty, but gradually drifted into a general practice as the city, at that time, was not sufficient to maintain a profession of that kind alone. They have received a very extensive patronage and their general practice will amount to $220,000 annually. In the spring of 1890 they erected a handsome two-story frame building, 80 X 40 feet, on the corner of Broad and Twenty-sixth Streets, as a hospital, surgical and medical institute, which can accommodate forty patients.
They handle all kinds of chronic and private diseases with the best treatment. They are both natives of New York state, and of German descent, their parents being J.H. and Molly (SMITH) BELLINGER.. They were reared on a farm in their native state until they entered the medical college. F.P. is a graduate of the Albany (New York) Medical College, and M.J. also attended that institution one term, and then took one term in Omaha, Nebraska, and in 1886 graduated at the Des Moines Medical College. When these gentlemen started out for themselves, they had to commence at the very bottom, and have since risen to a position of wealth and influence.
The senior member, F.P., is a married man. He was a member of the City council of Council Bluffs two years. They both affiliate with the Democratic party, and F.P. is a member of the A.F.&A.M.



Bell, Charles E.
Berlinghof


BELL and BERLINGHOF are architects and superintendents of building, having their office in rooms 405 and 406 in the Sapp Block in Council Bluffs, and a branch office in room 615 Paxton Building, Omaha. The company was formed November 1, 1883, and they have erected some of the principal buildings in the city, as the Sapp Building, Marcus Block, Kearney Bank Building, Woodbury Building, City Hose House, etc., Saunders Block, and the residences of W.W. Loomis, J.J. Steadman, W.C. James, J.A. Herald, J.P. Hess, H.H. VanBrunt, Foster Flats, Dr. H.F. Hart's block, Robling Block, the residences of C.L. Duel, E.E. Savage, J.Q. Gaston, Gus. Hengen, the Chautauqua Building, the residences of W.L. Kearney, W.H. Thomas and Dr. Chamberlin, and also additions to the D. and M. Institute of Council Bluffs, the Abner Graves Bank Building of Charter Oak, Iowa, the T.P. Phillips Block at Belleville, Kansas, the Second Avenue public school for the independent district of Council Bluffs, and the addition to the Twentieth Avenue school building.
CHARLES E. BELL, the senior member of the firm, was born March 31, 1858 in McLean county, Illinois, the son of Chalkley and Mary BELL, natives of the New England states. The mother was a daughter of James and Sarah EMLEN, prominent in the Society of Friends. Mr. Emlen was a leading minister of that society, traveling through England, Scotland and Ireland. The parents are still living, residing at Bloomington, McLean County, Illinois. Six of their eight children survive: Walter H., resides in Belleville, Kansas; Sarah is the wife of Isaac P. GARRETT, living near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Mifflin E., formerly supervising architect and now superintendent of the public buildings of Chicago; Samuel A., resides at Bloomington; Arthur H. is city engineer of Bloomington; and Charles E., the youngest, is the subject of this biographical sketch.
He completed his school education at Philadelphia, in the West Town Boarding School, under the direction of the Friends. Then he learned the carpenter's and builder's trade, which he followed for 7 years, meanwhile studying architecture; one year he studied under the tutorship of his brother, Mifflin. In 1884 he came to Council Bluffs in the employ of the Government and assisted in the construction of the government building (the postoffice), and since that time has been a resident here.
In September 1887, he formed a partnership with J.W. Allen as architect for a year. He is an energetic and enterprising citizen, a Republican and a member of the orders of the Knights of Pythias and Royal Arcanum, Lodge No. 156.
He was married November 11, 1880 to Miss Nellie L. WICKHAM, of Springfield, Illinois, daughter of Henry M. and Emeline (LATHROP) WICKHAM, and they are the parents of three children: Walter H., Emeline L., and Edward Earl. They are members of the Presbyterian Church.




Bevan, Stacy Ewings

STACY EWINGS BEVAN was born in Belmont County, Ohio, January 19, 1834. His father, Stacy BEVAN, and his grandfather, Samuel BEVAN, were both natives of Virginia and descendants of an old Virginia family. Mr. BEVAN's mother, nee Jane ROBBERTS, was born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Her father, Aaron ROBBERTS, also a native of Pennsylvania, was a merchant during the war of 1812. He was of English extraction. His ancestors came to America with William PENN and were a prominent family in early days. Stacy BEVAN was twice married. His first wife was nee Eunice FOSSET, a native of Ohio. By his subsequent marriage, in Belmont County, Ohio, to Jane ROBERTS, he had seven children, four sons and three daughters, Stacy E. being the oldest. The father was a brick-layer by trade, but much of his life was passed on a farm. He was a Whig during the balmy days of that party and he and his family were Friends. He died in Belmont County, Ohio, in 1842, at the age of fifty years. His widow is now a resident of Argonia, Sumner County, Kansas. She is eighty-three years old and is very active for one of her age. Stacy E. lived in his native county unil he reached his twelfth year, when he went to Logan County, Ohio, and remained there till he was twenty years old. He was reared on a farm and attended the common schools, finishing his education at Harkness Seminary, after which he was engaged in teaching for a time. In 1854 he came to Marshall County, Iowa, where he farmed in summer and taught school in winter. He was married in Jasper County, Iowa, November 7, 1856, to Miss Sarah BEALS, a lady of intelligence and refinement, who has proved herself a faithful helpmate. She was born and reared in Tennessee, the daughter of David and Rachel (HAMMER) BEALS, both natives of east Tennessee. The family came to Iowa in 1854 and located in Jefferson County. The next year they moved to Jasper County. Her mother died in this county August 20, 1870. Her father is still living here, and, at this writing, is in his eighty-seventh year. Stacy E. and Sarah BEVAN have had ten children, namely: Arwilda C. and Lindley O., residents of Kiowa County, Kansas; Joseph Addison and James E., at home; Elma J., a successful and popular teacher; Aaron L. and Arthur B., at home. Three of their children are deceased: David W., a young man in the prime of life, left a widow and one child; Charles, at the age of ten years, and Julia Ann, a babe of six months. Our subject lived in Marshall County until 1869, when he removed to Clay County, this State, and bought a large tract of prairie and timberland at Gillett's Grove. He improved the farm and lived on it for seven years; but blizzards in winter, mosquitos in summer, and the rainy seasons so common there were great drawbacks to the land, and he sold out and came to his present location. Here he bought 160 acres of land and has since added to it 160 acres more, now having a fine farm of 320 acres of rich land, well watered and well adapted for both stock and grain. He has good farm buildings, an orchard and grove and other improvements, everything about the place indicating the prosperity of the owner. Mr. BEVAN also owns 640 acres of valuable land in Kiowa County, Kansas, and eighty acres in Sumner County, that State, which is well adapted for wheat. Like his worthy ancestors, Stacy BEVAN is a Friend, and a minister of the gospel in that church, both he and his daughter, Elma J., having been authorized by the Haviland Church of Kansas to preach and explain the word of God, and also to do missionary work, not only in Kansas but also in Missouri and Iowa. They are active workers in the cause of the Master and have done much toward the advancement of his kingdom here. Mr. BEVAN has had many years of experience in Iowa, is well informed on all general topics, and is broad and progressive in his views. Financially, socially and religiously, he is numbered among the first citizens of Pottawattamie County.




Beyer, William


WILLIAM BEYER, a substantial farmer near Walnut, Iowa, was born in Schleswig, Germany, in 1851. His father, Madison Beyer, was a farmer and land owner. He was married to Annie RAMBURG, and to them were born five children: Hans, William, John, Julian and Charley. Julian was the only son, besides our subject, who came to America; he lived on a farm north of Walnut. The father is still living in Germany, and both he and his wife are members of the German church. He was a sailor and captain when a young man.

William, our subject, became a sailor when he was 16 years of age, but he followed the sea only five years. He came to America in 1872, settling in Scott County where he lived two years. In 1874 he came to Pottawattamie County, where he purchased 160 acres of land in company with his brother, Julien. By hard work, Mr. BEYER has added to his land until he now owns nearly 200 acres, all of which is in a good state of cultivation.

In 1876 he married Caroline COFFMAN, daughter of Charles COFFMAN, and to them have been born five children: John, deceased in infancy; Charles, also deceased in infancy; William, August, and Amanda. Both Mr. and Mrs. BEYER are members of the Lutheran Church. Mr. BEYER has held the office of Road Supervisor, is a thorough farmer, and an honest and upright man. He is doing his share to build up the great State of Iowa, to which the German element has been an honor and a substantial aid.




Bisbee, A. C.

A.C. BISBEE is one of the intelligent and enterprising citizens of Grove Township, Pottawattamie County. He was born and reared on the farm, where he now lives, the date of his birth being February 8, 1867. He is a son of Franklin Elijah and Hannah P. (WINSOR) Bisbee. His father came to this county in an early day and spent the remainder of his life here, his death occurring November 28, 1880, at about the age of fifty-six years. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, had served as steward of the same, and was regarded by all who knew him as a man of integrity and a true Christian. Mr. Bisbee has been twice married and had five children: Frank, the only child by his first wife, now resides in the west; Louis H., died at age twenty-five years at Macedonia, Iowa; Fanny Florence, wife of H.T. THOMAS of Red Oak, Iowa; A.C., the subject of this sketch; and Charles A., who lives with his mother at Macedonia, where she has a good home surrounded with all the comforts of life, and where she also owns other town property.

A.C. Bisbee was reared a farmer. His education was obtained in the public schools of Grove Township and in the graded school at Macedonia. March 14, 1889, he was married, in Grove Township, to Miss Mary Chillanna ROLFE, a lady of culture and education and a successful and popular teacher of the county. She was born in Webster County, Iowa, and received her education there and at the Western Normal College at Shenandoah. Her parents, Aaron and Emily (BEEM) ROLFE, are now residents of Lehigh, Iowa. Her father was born in Cleveland, Ohio, and was reared in New York. Her mother, a native of Indiana, came with her parents to Webster County, Iowa, when she was eight years old. Mr. and Mrs. Bisbee have a daughter born August 2, 1890, named Hattie Florence. Mrs. Bisbee is a member of the Christian Church.

Our subject is engaged in agricultural pursuits on the old home farm, which contains 200 acres and which is well improved. Socially and financially, he is regarded as a representative citizen. In politics he is a Republican.



Bixby, Benjamin F.


BENJAMIN F. BIXBY descends from an old American family who have been famous as soldiers and pioneers from old colonial times. Deacon Solomon BIXBY, grandfather of our subject, was born in Worcester, Massachusetts, and was the father of eight children, viz.: Amasa, Rufus, Amos, Sumner, Jotham, Jonathan, Simon, Deborah and Nancy. The father emigrated to the State of Maine, and settled at Norridgewock, on the Kennebec River, during the latter part of the eighteenth century. He lived to the age of sixty-six years, and was a prominent member of the Congregational Church, in which he was a deacon for many years. He was one of the founders of the church in Norridgewock, and was a prosperous farmer, owning one of the finest farms in the State.

Rufus BIXBY, a son of the above and the father of our subject, was born on the old homestead at Norridgewock in 1796, and received a common-school education. He was married to Betty WESTON, daughter of Deacon Benjamin WESTON, who was born at Skowhegan, Maine, and was a son of a Revolutionary soldier. He was one of ARNOLD's brave soldiers who invaded the then impenetrable and unexplored forests of Northern Maine in the late fall and early winter. Mr. WESTON received his death from exposure. He reached home and died two weeks after his return. Mr. and Mrs. Rufus BIXBY were the parents of fourteen children, three of whom died young: Solomon, William, Benjamin F., Augustus, Mary, Caroline, Elizabeth, Eunice and Sarah. The father was a soldier in the war of 1812, and was a deacon in the Congregational Church. He lived to the age of eighty-five years.

Benjamin F. BIXBY, the subject of this sketch, was born on his grandfather's farm at Norridgewock, Maine, June 17, 1828, and received a good academical education at the old academies of Bloomfield, Anson and Thompson. He began life as a school-teacher at Madison, Maine, and on the Penobscot Bay. In March, 1852, he sailed from Boston around Cape Horn to California. While his vessel was stopping at Chili for a supply of water during an insurrection there, they found Captain BROWN, of the bark Florida, held a prisoner by the Chilian authorities, accused of aiding the insurgents; and at night the captain of Mr. BIXBY's vessel rescued BROWN and immediately put to sea, expecting to be followed by a man-of war. The former carried two large guns, besides small arms and cutlasses, and was ready for defense. The next day, however, Captain BROWN was placed aboard his own vessel, and went on his way rejoicing.

On arrival in California Mr. BIXBY mined for gold at Volcano, Placerville and Cedarville. He followed this business quite successfully four years, and then went into the dairy business in Jackson, California, which he continued two years. He then returned to Maine to visit his relatives, and in 1858 came to Winterset, Iowa. He obeyed the call of his country, and enlisted in Company E, Forty-seventh Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and served at Helena, Arkansas. He was taken sick with malarial fever, and came near death. He was in the hospital at Helena, in the old residence of General HINDMAN, a noted Confederate General. After serving out his time, Mr. BIXBY, returned home to Winterset, and was honorably discharged at Davenport, Iowa, September 28, 1864. He was shattered by the malaria and for two years was disabled. He then went into the employ of the Rock Island Railroad in the depot at De Soto, Iowa, for five years. In 1874 he came to Walnut in the employ of the same railroad company, as station agent, in which capacity he served fourteen years; he was also agent for the United States Company. Mr. BIXBY's long service with the Rock Island Company is the best indication of his character and of his faithful and honest services. In 1889 he was appointed Postmaster under Harrison, and is now filling that office to the satisfaction of the Government and the people of Walnut. He is well fitted for this position by his long business training, his pleasant and courteous disposition, and his accommodating way of dealing with the people. He is a member of JOHN A. DIX Post, G. A. R., No. 408, Walnut, of which he has been adjutant many years. In his political principles he is a Republican.

Mr. BIXBY was married in Winterset, Iowa, in September, 1859, to Miss Mary A. HORNBACK, daughter of Abraham and Elizabeth (McCONNELL) HORNBACK. The father was a native of Ohio, and of German descent, and was a resident of La Fayette, Indiana, for many years. He settled in Madison County, Iowa, in 1852, and died in 1884, at the age of seventy-eight years. He was the father of six children: James, George, John, Elizabeth, Nancy and Mary A. To Mr. and Mrs. BIXBY have been born five children: Franklin (deceased at five years of age), William, Loyd, Maud and Bessie. William W. BIXBY, the next eldest brother of our subject, made the first survey ever made to the Pacific Coast, about 1854-'55, which was made for a railroad from St. Paul to Puget Sound. Lyman, the younger brother, was a soldier in a Maine regiment, and was captured at the battle of Cold Harbor. He was a Lieutenant, and was in charge of the company when captured. He was six months in Andersonville and Libby prisons, and escaped from the former, and after nine days in the swamp was recaptured by means of bloodhounds. He was finally exchanged. He saw service before Richmond, being for two weeks under fire at one time.




Blain, David


DAVID BLAIN is one of the progressive and popular citizens of Waveland Township, Pottawattamie County, Iowa. He came to this township on the thirteenth of March, 1874, and has since made this place his home. Mr. BLAIN was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, September 15, 1843, son of James and Moreland (AITKIN) BLAIN, natives of that place. His mother died in Waveland Township March 11, 1885, at the age of seventy-five years. He was one of five children - four sons and one daughter - born to his parents.

Mr. BLAIN was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools of Scotland. In 1870, bidding farewell to home and the heather hills of his native land, he sailed from Glasgow for America, landing at New York. From there he came direct to Iowa City, Iowa, where he had an uncle. March 2, 1874, he was married, in Johnson County, Iowa, the lady of his choice being Miss Mary HAMILTON, an amiable and intelligent lady, a native of Ayrshire, and his old school-mate. She came to this country with her parents, Robert and Mary (MARTIN) HAMILTON, in 1870. Her mother died in New York State and her father in Waveland Township, Pottawattamie County. A few days after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. BLAIN came to their present location in Western Iowa. He bought sixty-seven acres of wild prairie land, upon which they at once took up their abode. At that time the country was very thinly settled and scarcely a house could be seen between their place and Walnut. Mr. BLAIN is an industrious man and a good business manager. As the result of his own well directed efforts he is to-day a wealthy man. He now owns 214 acres of improved land, there being two good dwellings on the same. His farm is also supplied with other buildings and is well fenced. His land is bounded on two sides by highways, his residence being midway between the two roads. His groves, orchards, well tilled fields, and pastures dotted over with stock--all give evidence of prosperity.

Mr. and Mrs. BLAIN have nine children, as follows: James, Edmonson, David, Joseph, Moreland, Mary, Robert, Nelly Bly and Susan. Their first born, Moreland, is deceased. Politically Mr. BLAIN is a Republican, but is independent in many of his views.




Blakely, John


JOHN BLAKELY is one of the enterprising and well known citizens of Wright Township. He came here in the spring of 1877 and has since made this place his home. He was born in Perry Co, Ohio, February 13, 1842, son of Andrew BLAKELY. His great-grandfather BLAKELY was a native of the Emerald Isle. Andrew BLAKELY was a stone cutter by trade, which he followed the most of his life. His political views were those of the Democratic party. He married Catherine GILCHRIEST, a native of Pennsylvania and a lady of German ancestry. They reared a family of six children, five of whom are living, John being the fifth born. Mrs. BLAKELY was born in 1807 and is now 83 years of age. She resides in Pennsylvania near the old Gilchriest homestead.

JOHN BLAKELY was principally brought up in Westmoreland Co, Pennsylvania, where he learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed for many years in that state and in Ohio. In 1868 he came West and worked in different parts of Missouri, and finally in Maryville, Nodaway County. In 1871 he came to Cass County, Iowa, and bought 80 acres of land, six miles southeast of Lewis, which he improved. February 5, 1874, he married Miss Lucina INGRAHAM, a native of New York state and a daughter of Clark and Electa Lucina (GRINNELL) INGRAHAM, both natives of the East. When a child, she came with her parents to Illinois, and later to Cass County, Iowa. Her father is now a resident of Griswold. In 1877 Mr. Blakely sold his farm in Cass Co and bought his present farm of 80 acres, upon which he has since made many improvements. He erected a two-story frame house and surrounded it with shade and ornamental trees; and his barn, other outbuildings and improvements on the premises all show thrift and enterprise.

Mr. and Mrs. BLAKELY have five children: Etta Belle, Lenora, Elizabeth Jane, John Sherman and Electa Lucina. In politics Mr. BLAKELY is a Republican. He has served the public as a member of the School Board. Both he and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church of Griswold. He is associated with Lewis Lodge No 140 I.O.O.F. Mr. Blakely is a man yet in the prime of life; has traveled extensively and is well informed on all general topics. He takes an active interest in educational and religious matters and any movement that has for its object the upbuilding or advancement of the community where he resides, finds in him an earnest supporter.




Blanchard, W. A.


W. A BLANCHARD. In the history of Pottawattamie County mention should be made of the above named gentleman, a brief outline of whose life is as follows:

Mr. BLANCHARD was born in Stark County, Illinois, August 17, 1853. His father, A. G. BLANCHARD, was born in the pinewoods of Maine, a descendant of an old family of that State who were noted for their honesty and industry. His mother, nee Mary BAGGLEY, was born in Ohio, her parents having emigrated to that State from the East. Mr. and Mrs. BLANCHARD were married in Toulon, Stark County, Illinois, both the BLANCHARDS and BAGGLEYS being early settlers of that county. To them were born five children: W. A.; M. L., who lives near Storm Lake, Iowa; Sarah A. MARMAN, a resident of Colorado; Mary F. CADE, who lives in Stark County, Illinois; and Angeline SMITH, of Colorado. Mr. BLANCHARD's mother died when he was fourteen years old. His father is now a resident of Normal, Oklahoma. In early life, while residing in the East, he was a ship carpenter, but after coming West he gave his attention to agricultural pursuits. He is now sixty years of age.

W. A. BLANCHARD was reared on a farm and was educated in the public schools of Stark County. Arriving at the age of manhood, he was married, February 6, 1879, to Miss Anna McRAE, who was born in Rosshire, Scotland, in 1819, son of Alexander and Ann McRAE, both natives of the same place. He grew up on a farm and when he reached adult years married Jennette McRAE, daughter of Duncan and Christena McRAE, all natives of Scotland. Kenneth McRAE and his family came to America in 1867 and settled in Stark County, Illinois. From there they subsequently came to Pottawattamie County, Iowa. Mr. McRAE is one of the honored and esteemed citizens of Wright Township. He is a Democrat and a Presbyterian. Their other daughter, Sabella SAXTON, is a resident of Monona County, Iowa.

In 1883 Mr. BLANCHARD came to Pottawattamie County and located in Waveland Township, buying 133 acres of well improved land on section 6. He has a good frame house, an orchard of two acres, a grove, stables, and other farm buildings and improvements. Mr. and Mrs. BLANCHARD have five children: W. K., Jennette, Charlotte, Alexander D. and Glenn. Their first born, Mary, is deceased. Like his father, Mr. BLANCHARD is a Republican. He is honest and upright in all things, and is trusted and respected most by those who know him.



Bloom, John C.


JOHN C. BLOOM, one of the prominent merchants of Minden, dealing in hardware, furniture, agricultural implements, etc., and also an undertaker, was born near Berlin, Prussia, the son of Christian BLOOM, who was a farmer by occupation. He came to America in 1861 with his wife, whose maiden name was Fredrica SCHMIDT. He settled in Scott County, Iowa, and is the father of seven living children, namely: John C., Herman, William, Robert, Ferdinand, Christian and Matilda. Mr. Bloom is still living on his farm at the age of fifty-nine years. Politically he is a Democrat and is a straight-forward and honorable citizen.

Mr. J.C. BLOOM, son of the above and the subject of this sketch, was born July 24, 1856, and was but five years of age when he was brought by his parents to America. He learned the trade of carpenter and in 1880 bought a farm three miles north of Minden, which he conducted for three years. In 1883 he bought the hardware store of J.C. Garmong, which was then a small stock of $4,040 but which he has since increased to over $9,000 and is doing a flourishing business.

Politically Mr. Bloom is a Republican. He is a self-made man, having obtained his property by his own unaided efforts. He is a prominent and reliable businessman, who owes his success in life to his own method of dealing and personal character. He was married in 1880, to Miss Margarita ENGLER, who died in May 1881. He was again married in 1884, to Teresa Geiger, and they are the parents of three children: Matilda, Teresa, and Ida.



Bloomer, Dexter Chamberlain


Dexter Chamberlain BLOOMER, attorney at law and one of the most prominent and respected citizens of Council Bluffs, was born in Scipio, Cayuga County, New York, July 4, 1816, and was reared under the influence of Quakers. His father, John BLOOMER, was a native of Westchester County, New York and of English descent, and his mother, Tamma CHAMBERLAIN, was a native of Massachusetts and also of English ancestry. On receiving his education, Mr. BLOOMER exhibited a decided taste for literary and professional pursuits. In 1837 he began the study of law, and soon afterward political affairs. Later he became editor of the Seneca County Courier, a Whig paper, at Seneca Falls, New York, and filled that position for fifteen years. In 1843 he was admitted to practice in the several courts of New York. During his residence there he held several offices, among them that of Postmaster during the last four years, under the TAYLOR-FILLMORE adminstration. In 1853 he removed to Mount Vernon, Ohio, and became the editor of the Western Home Visitor, Mrs. BLOOMER continuing the publication of the Lily at the same place. With the view of still bettering his situation, he visited Council Bluffs in October, 1854, and decided to make this point his future home, and the next year he moved thither, arriving April 15, and immediately established himself in the practice of law and in the real-estate business. At that time the county was strongly Democratic, and Mr. BLOOMER, in company with John T. BALDWIN, C. E. STONE and others, led in the organization of the new Republican party in Western Iowa. The interest which he manifested in political movements and the able manner in which he performed the duties imposed upon him caused his fellow citizens to bestow upon him many trusts, and he was frequently presented as a candidate for the offices of Judge, Representative to the Legislature, etc. For eleven years he was a member of the Board of Education, for a time serving as its President. Within this period seven fine school-houses were erected, one of the number, the BLOOMER School, being named in his honor. He was a member of the State Board of Education until that office was abolished; was largely influential in procuring the establishment of the Council Bluffs Free Public Library, of which he has been an honored trustee from its foundation. For twelve years, and until the office was abolished, he was Receiver of the Public Moneys at this point; was Alderman in 1856, and Mayor of the city two years, 1869-'71. In all these official capacities he was honest and efficient, rendering satisfaction to the public. During the war he rendered efficient service to the cause of the Union, and was a member of the Union League. In 1872-'73 he was editor of the Council Bluffs Republican, and for a time was editor also of the Northwestern Odd Fellow. He also compiled a history of Pottawattamie County, under the title of "Notes on the Early History of Pottawattamie County," which was published in a magazine called the Annals of Iowa. As an evidence that he has a fine, large brain, it can be said that he has been as efficient in his business relations as in the legal and literary. As a politician his record is unblemished. In religious matters he is a member of the Protestant Episcopal Church, of which he has been Senior Warden for the last thirty years.

He was married April 15, 1840 to Miss Amelia JENKS, a lady of culture, and in hearty sympathy with every movement of reform. Her first national notoriety was occasioned by her introduction of what was known as the "Bloomer costume," which called the attention of the public to an urgent reform in dress, and has led to important modifications of the old and unhealthful fashion, and secondly, and more lastingly, as a prominent and efficient advocate of the cause of woman suffrage. (A biographical account of her is given in connection herewith.) She and her husband first arrived in Council Bluffs on the 15th day of April, 1855, and immediately took up their residence in their present pleasant home. That day was the fifteenth anniversary of their marriage, and April 15, 1890, they celebrated both that event and their marriage by a "Golden Wedding." It was a grand occasion. A large number of magnificent presents were made to them, and letters of congratulation from eminent co-workers in the cause of reform throughout the United States were received, - among them Miss Susan B. ANTHONY and Mrs. ex-Governor HALE, of Wyoming. A splendid poem was composed for the occasion by Rev. G. W. CROFTS, and illustrated on its presentation by Miss S. D. RHESE.



Bloomer, Amelia


MRS. AMELIA BLOOMER. Inasmuch as the name of this lady has become prominent over the country, it seems proper that it should appear in this history, more especially as she is now one of the oldest settlers. Mrs. Bloomer was born in Cortland County, NY, in the year 1818. Her maiden name was Amelia Jenks. She received a fair education in the common schools of the state, and after arriving at suitable age she engaged in teaching, at first in the public schools and afterward as a private tutor. She was married in 1840 to Dexter C. Bloomer, of Seneca Falls, New York, where she resided with her husband until the fall or winter of 1853. Mr. Bloomer was an attorney, and also, at the time of their marriage and for some years after, editor and one of the publishers of the county newspaper. Mrs. Bloomer early began to write for the paper, confining her articles mainly to the advocacy of temperance, of which she has always been an ardent defender. She was one of the editors of the Water Bucket, a temperance paper published during the Washingtonian revival, and she early connected herself with the order of Good Templars.

In 1849 a temperance paper called the Lily was commenced in Seneca Falls, and it very soon fell entirely into the hands of Mrs. Bloomer, both as editor and publisher. It was continued by her for six years in New York, and one year in Ohio. It was devoted to the interests of woman, and ardently advocated the cause of temperance and woman's enfranchisement, and attained a wide circulation. In 1851 Mrs. Bloomer first appeared on the platform as a public speaker, and she, in company with other advocates of temperance and Woman's Rights, in the winter of that year addressed large and attentive audiences in all large cities of the State. Mrs. Bloomer continued during her residence in New York and Ohio to speak frequently on the question so near her heart, visiting and speaking in Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Louis; and wherever she went she always was fAvored with full houses.

In 1850 Mrs. Bloomer's attention was called to the short dresses and trowsers, which a few ladies about that time began to don. She was pleased with it, adopted it in place of the long, heavy skirt that ladies were accustomed to wear, and advocated in the Lily its adoption by others. It soon excited great interest, and her name soon became connected with it the world over. Mrs. Bloomer continued to wear it for some six years; and she is still a firm believer that its general use would tend to promote the comfort and health of her sex. She, however, never publicly advocated it other than in the columns of her paper, and never in any way alluded to it in her public addresses. Her main theme and the work of her life has been the enfranchisement of woman, alike in industrial employments, in educational privileges, and in political rights; and in all these respects she has been spared to witness most wonderful progress; but the hour of complete triumph is yet delayed. In 1854 Mrs. Bloomer removed with her husband to Mount Vernon, Ohio, where during that year she continued the publication of her paper, acting also as associate editor of the Western Home Visitor. She made many addresses during the year in that State, and organized a number of lodges of Good Templars.

In 1855 she became a resident of Council Bluffs, where she has since resided. She has spoken often and written a great deal on her favorite subject of Woman's Rights, as well as upon temperance and other prominent questions before the public. She was the first president of the Iowa Woman Suffrage Society, and her residence has always been open to the advocates of her favorite ideas, as they stopped or passed through the city. But advancing years has limited her activities, and she has been compelled to leave to others the carrying on the battle for equal justice for her sex. In 1842 she became a member of the Episcopal Church, and she has continued her connections with it through all the subsequent years, and aided in its work in many ways in the city of her adoption. She has taken a deep interest in whatever tends to ameliorate all suffering and promote the happiness of the poor and the unfortunate, as well as the rich. In the spring of 1890, she celebrated, in connection with her husband, their Golden Wedding, in the pleasant cottage in which they have resided for thirty five years. It was thronged with their friends, who joyfully seized the occasion to express their high regards for the venerable pair, and the presents which they received were alike numerous, beautiful and spontaneous.


Read Terms, Conditions and Disclaimers