Page County, Iowa obituaries
transcribed by Pat O'Dell

Johnston, Chloe Farquhar
Mrs. Leo Johnston, who has been living near Elmo, passed to her reward May 18th, at the Ensworth Hospital in St. Joseph, where she had gone for a severe operation. Funeral services were held at the United Presbyterian Church in College Springs Tuesday, May 2 4th, conducted by the pastor, Rev. D. L. McBride, interment in Maple Hill Cemetery.
The daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. S. Farquhar, she lived on the farm until the death of her mother, when the family then moved to College Springs. She was married to Leo Johnston Sept. 22nd. 1915. Besides the sorrowing husband and her father, two children survive, Gerald and Kenneth Paul Johnston. She has made a hard fight for life, being compelled a year ago to seek a different climate. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Jun 2, 1921


Attendance Estimated at 2000 People —Respect to Deceased Soldier.
The funeral of Caleb Johnson, who died overseas while in the service of the United States in the World war, was held last Sunday at the Lutheran church in Essex. It is estimated that 2000 people were at the church and about it for the funeral, which was given military attention. Two hundred and sixty-five automobiles followed the remains to the cemetery. The Essex correspondent of the Council Bluffs Nonpareil reports as follows under the date of Jan. 10:
"Fully 1000 people assembled at the Lutheran church at Essex Sunday afternoon to attend the funeral services of Caleb Johnson. The church was packed, all standing room being occupied, the school room at the rear of the church was filled and many occupied the basement.
The body of Mr. Johnson arrived Saturday morning and guards in uniform were on duty until after the burial. Thirty-six soldiers and four sailors in uniform attended the funeral. A soldier and sailor stood guard at the casket, and three soldiers and three saliors were pallbearers.
The officers of the Lutheran church offered the use of their church which is the largest in Essex, for the funeral and the invitation was accepted. The services commenced at 2:30 by singing America by the audience, Miss Florence Kampe presiding at the pipe organ. James Ahlgren sang a beautiful solo, Miss Helen Hanzon accompanied him at the piano. There was a song by the double quartet and another song by the audience. Rev. Bowman, pastor of the Mission church at Red Oak preached a very able memorial sermon.
Hundreds of people followed the remains to the Essex cemetery where full military honors were conferred by the American Legion post of Essex. The Boy Scouts were out in uniform and stood guard at close intervals between the church and cemetery.
Private Cabel Johnson died in France Feb. 5, 1919, aged 22 years. He was a son of Mr. and Mrs. O. H. Johnson of near Essex. He is survived by his parents, three brothers, two sisters and many other relatives and friends. He was a model young man in every way. His funeral was by far the largest ever held in this community and was a beautiful and fitting tribute to the memory of the young man." CLARINDA JOURNAL, Clarinda, Iowa, Jan 13, 1921



Remains of Caleb M. Johnson on Way From France.
Shenandoah Sentinel-Post: The body of Private Caleb M. Johnson, son of O. H Johnson, who is a member of the board of supervisors of Page county, is on the road to Essex from Hoboken, N. J., according to a message received by his parents yesterday.
It arrived from France with a ship load of bodies of soldier boys. As soon as it arrives at Essex the arrangements for the funeral will be completed. It is hoped to have the body interred in its final resting place with a military funeral and that the pall bearers who laid the body of Private Caleb M. Johnson in the temporary grave in France shall be the pall bearers to lay him in his grave in Hose [?] Hill cemetery at Essex.
Private Caleb M. Johnson died in Mesver hospital at Center, France, Feb. 5, 1919, while undergoing a surgical operation for complications which were the after effect of measles. He entrained at Clarinda Sept. 6, 1918 for Camp Dodge, Des Moines, la., where he entered the medical corps. He reached France two days before the Armistice was signed. He was 23 years old. CLARINDA JOURNAL, Clarinda, Iowa, Dec 23, 1920

Mr. O. H. Johnson received a telegram last Sunday morning stating that the body of his son Caleb, who died in the service of his country in France had arrived in New York and awaited his orders as to its disposal. Mr. Johnson immediately wired a request that the body be sent here as soon as possible. As yet Mr Johnson has received no information just when the body will arrive but it is expected most any day now.
Private Caleb Johnson was the son of Mr. and Mrs. O. H. Johnson and was inducted into the service September 6, 1918, leaving Clarinda for Camp Dodge where he entered the medical service. He was a strong, robust fellow when he entered the service but shortly after his induction was taken ill and it seemed that one illness followed another. He became strong enough, however, to accompany his company to France and arrived there just two days before the Armistice was signed. He was ill upon arrival in France and was taken to the Mesver hospital where he died undergoing an operation on February 5, 1919. The operation was for complications which were the after effect of measles.
Caleb was twenty-three years of age at the time of his death . When the body arrives in Essex the funeral arrangements will be made, and will, we understand, be in charge of the American Legion Post of this place.—Essex Independent. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Dec 30, 1920

Just as we go to press this morning we are informed that Mr. and Mrs. O. H. Johnson have just received a telegram from the War Department telling them of the death of their son Caleb. This indeed comes as a shock to the family and to their many friends. It certainly seems sad, indeed, made doubly so from the fact that the war is over and they were in high spirits thinking their boy would soon be safely home again.
Caleb died from disease, his death occuring Feb. 5th., according to the message.
It will be remembered that he went into service last year. He was stationed first at Camp Dodge and later transferred to Ft. Snelling and later was sent over seas.

The Independent joins with all Essex in sympathy to the bereaved family. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Feb 27, 1919

Among the sad features of the war time through which this country has been passing is the death of another Page county soldier—Caleb M. Johnson, son of Mr. and Mrs. O. H. Johnson of Grant township, the father being a member of the Page county board of supervisors.
Caleb was born near Essex, June 12, 1896, and spent most of his boyhood days near Norwich, at which place he attended the public school and the Methodist Episcopal Sunday school for thirteen years. He graduated from a business course at the Western Normal college at Shenandoah. In 1917
he worked at the carpenter's trade. He entered the war service of his country last fall, going to Camp Dodge, Sept. 6; was there about three weeks during his vaccination period; was transferred to Fort Snelling, Minn. He was with base hospital 108 until he died.
He was ill for three weeks with pneumonia, after which he went to France, and landed there Nov. 9, 1918. After working with his hospital unit there he was taken with measles and while quarantined with that disease was tak en with mumps. His illness settled in both his ears and he was operated on for mastoiditis Jan. 25. He died Feb. 5, 1919, with the base hospital at Mesvis, France, where he was buried. Four
of his comrades from Page county were his pallbearers; Martin Erickson William Hood, Arthur Julin, and Mr. Carlson, son of Andrew Carlson, of Yorktown. CLARINDA JOURNAL, Clarinda, Iowa, Mar 13, 1919



Johnston, Guthrie -

Guthrie Johnston.
Guthrie Johnston, the eldest son of Rev. and Mrs. S. J. Johnston, passed away Saturday, May 8, 1920, in Philadelphia. Rev. Mr. Johnston was for several years pastor of the Reformed Prsebyterian church in Harlan township, and the many friends here will give him and Mrs. Johnston the deepest sympathy in their sorrow. The boy would have been 12 years of age next July. He had had grip and this was followed by an abscess near the appendix. An operation was performed Friday, and it was thought that he was recovering when death occurred Saturday evening. A letter written Saturday morning was received by Mr. and
Mrs. W. G. Dunn in this city Tuesday.
|A telegram, sent after the letter, announcing the boy's death, was received by Mr. Dunn Saturday evening.CLARINDA JOURNAL, Clarinda, Iowa, May 13, 1920

Guthrie Johnston - A telegram Sabbath morning received by W. G. Dunn from Rev. S. J. Johnston brought the sad intelligence of the death of Guthrie Johnston, son of the former pastor of our Reformed Presbyterian Church. A letter received later by Mr. Dunn told particulars. The boy passed away Saturday night, as a result of an operation for an ailment resembling appendicitis, being the result of an attack of the grippe last winter. He was taken ill April 28th, and was unable to recover from the sickness, even after the operation was performed. The body of the loved one was laid away in the cemetery in Wilkinsburg, Pa., where the boy's mother formerly resided. The family, have many firm friends in Clarinda who sympathize with them, in the loss of this fine boy of eleven years, who apparently had such a promising future before him. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, May 13, 1920


Johnson, A.W. -

Another one of Clarinda and Page County's pioneers passed to his reward in the person of A. W. Johnson, who died at the home of his younger son, William Johnson, at Denver, Colo., at the age of 83 years.
Mr. Johnson was one the early settlers of Page Country, coming here before 1868 but has lived in Colorado for a number of years. The remains were brought here, Charles Johnson, the younger son, and wife accompaning. Interment was in the Clarinda Cemetery, a short service was read by Rev. J. M. Williams at the grave. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Mar 25, 1920


Jones, Henry -

[Correspondence of The Journal]— Another of Page county's old settlers has passed away, being Henry T. Jones who was born in Fulton county, Ill., Oct. 12, 1841, and departed this life March 14, 1920. He had been in poor health all winter but was not bedfast till eight weeks before his death. He suffered untold misery with dropsy those eight weeks and all that kind neighbors and devoting son and family could do was done, but only death relieved him of the pain. He had lived on a farm near Bingham, known as the Buel Mariner farm, for thirty-five years, which goes to show he was an honest renter and a good neighbor. He also followed threshing but for the past few years he has visited among his children. He was at the home of his son, Clarance, in Colorado, when the Death Angel came. His remains were sent to Coin, la., to be laid by the side of his wife who passed to the great beyond in 1913. At the time of his death he was 78 years 5 months and 14 days old. He was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Burgess Jan. 12, 1862. To this union were born nine children, five of whom with their mother have gone on before. Four are left to mourn the loss of a father: Clarence of Peets, Colo.; Bid, of Shenandoah, Iowa, Andrew of Conway, Iowa and Mrs. Jane Griffin of Hamburg, Iowa. One sister, Mrs. Sallie Whitnah of Clarinda and a brother of Panora, Iowa; also eighteen grandchildren, three great grandchildren, besides a host of friends survive him. Funeral services were held at Coin at the Methodist church. Burial was in the Snow Hill cemetery.
Farewell, dear father, sweet thy rest. Weary with years and worn with pain,
Farewell, till in some happy place
We shall behold thy face again. Tis ours to miss thee all our years,
And tender memories of thee keep. Thine in the Lord to rest, for so
He giveth his beloved sleep. Call not back the dear departed,
Anchored safe where storms are o'er, On the border land we left him
Soon to meet to part no more. Far beyond this world of changes,
Far beyond this world of care. We shall find our missing loved one
In our Father's Mansion fair. CLARINDA JOURNAL, Clarinda, Iowa, Mar 25, 1920


Johnson, Alma Dorothy Falk -

Mrs. Clarence G. Johnson.
The death of Mrs. Clarence G. Johnson removes from the living here on earth one of Clarinda's most highly respected and worthy women. She passed away Friday, July 8, 1921, at the Kennelworth Hospital in this city, after a long illness from a malady from which there could be no recovery.
As her friends sincerely regretted her illness and suffering, so they regret and mourn her departure. Mrs. Johnson was a model home maker who found time to devote to church and welfare and patriotic work. She was confirmed as a Lutheran, May 16, 1886, and later, on her coming to Clarinda to live united with the Presbyterian church in whose interests she was very active. She was one year president of the Charles Linderman circle of the Ladies of the Grand Army of the Republic, and for two years was president of the state organization of the Ladies of the Grand Army. Her reelection as president of the state department was an unusual honor accorded her, and was in recognition of her marked ability and tact in managing affairs entrusted to her. Her work for the Ladies of the Grand Army gave her an extended acquaintance throughout this state and made demands upon her for travel to points far distant from Iowa, which she met to the credit of her Iowa organization.
The late Mrs. Johnson's maiden name was Alma Dorothy Falk. She was the daughter of Charles M. and Ellen Falk, and was born Nov. 25, 1870, at New Windsor, Ill. Her family moved to Page county, Iowa, from Illinois, in 1876, and in 1882 to Essex, Iowa, at which place she was married to Clarence G. Johnson, Aug. 16, 1893, after which time Clarinda was her home nearly all the time until her death.
She was one of four sisters, all of whom have passed away. She leaves her husband, sons Karl Milton Johnson, Bernard Falk Johnson and Clarence Gustaf Johnson, and one daughter, Florence Helene Johnson, all of New Market, except Bernard, who resides in Clarinda. The husband and children in their great loss certainly have the sympathy of all who know them. The funeral was held Tuesday
afternoon at the Presbyterian church in this city, conducted by its pastor, Dr. A. B. Marshall. Among those attending were a number of friends of the family from a distance. The singing was by Mrs. W. S. Richardson, Mrs. Al Morltz, and Mrs. J. W. Cozad. Mrs. Cozad sang two solos. The bearers were the sons, Karl, Bernard and Clarence, and cousins Leslie Falk, Ludd Falk and Carl Swanson. Interment
was in the Clarinda cemetery, beside the grave of a young son of Mrs. Johnson, who died long ago. CLARINDA JOURNAL, Clarinda, Iowa, Jul 14, 1921

Mrs. Clarence G. Johnson.
Mrs. Clarence Johnson passed away Friday, July 8th, after a lingering illness. Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon, July 12th, from the Presbyterian Church, conducted by the pastor, Rev. A. B. Marshall D. D., interment being in Clarinda cemetery.
Alma Dorothy Falk, daughter of Charles M. and Ellen Falk was born Nov. 25th, 1870, at New Windsor, Ill. The family moved to Page County in 1876, living near Nyman, moving six years later to Essex, where she was married to Clarence G. Johnson, on August 16th, 1893. The couple moved to Clarinda, which has since been their home, until 1920, when they moved to Chicago for a short stay of six months, then returning to Clarinda.
In her early days she was a member of the Lutheran Church, as were her parents and the two sisters who preceded her to the better land. In Clarinda she united with the Presbyterian Church, and has been a faithful member.
Besides her husband, who remains to mourn her loss, are four children, three sons, Karl Milton Johnson, Bernard Falk Johnson and Clarence G. Johnson Jr., and a daughter, Florence Helene Johnson.
She was always active in public affairs, being a loyal member of the Charles Linderman Circle Ladies of the G. A. R., and for two years President of the State organization. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Jul 14, 1921


son of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence G. Johnson, died Sept. 6, 1901, aged one year, seven months and eighteen days. This bright boy, one of twins, the joy of the home, had been afflicted for some time, but hopes were entertained of his recovery until the whooping cough set in, and seen he yielded to the complicated trouble. The funeral services were held at the home Sabbath afternoon, Dr. Smith, their neighbor and friend, officiating.   A very large number of citizens in carriages followed the body to the grave, attesting their sorrow at the deep affliction which came upon the home.    A bright light went out of the home when little Lawrence closed his eyes in death.   "Of such is the kingdom of God." CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Sep 10, 1901

Mr. and Mrs. C. G. Johnson were called to mourn the death of their twin babe, Lawrence Theodore, Friday. Sept. 6, 1901, at their home in north Clarinda, aged 2 years, 7 months and 18 days, The little one had been in poor health since an infant, but its death had not been anticipated by the parents. The funeral took place Sunday at 4 p. m., at the home, conducted by Dr. T. C. Smith. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Sep 7, 1901


Johnson, Mabel Cordelia Wram - NYMAN.
Last Wednesday evening, the 26th inst., a large crowd assembled at the chureh at 6 o'clock and listened to the well rendered program given by the Sunday school. Everything was in holiday attire and everybody feeling happy, but while returning home the sad news was whispered that Mrs. Anton Johnson had died at 7:30, which was a very great shock to all her acquaintances. While it was known that she had been ill with pneumonia for a couple of weeks, she had been reported to be convalescing, so that it was only her immediate relatives who knew that the dreaded disease lock-jaw-—had set in and caused her demise at the above stated time.
It was the 7th day of March, 1906, that about fifty relatives and friends met at the home of Mr. and Mrs. F. O. Wram, three miles southeast of here, and witnessed the marriage of one of their twin daughters, Mabel, to Anton Johnson, and on that day there did not seem to be anything to mar the thought that the newly married couple would have a long and blissful married life. They immediately went to housekeeping on a farm one and one-half miles east of here. During the fall they made preparations to move to a larger farm near Griswold, la.
On the 2nd of December a son was born, and mother and child seemed to be getting along nicely, till the mother was stricken with pneumonia and later with lockjaw, as above stated, causing the 26th day of December to be the saddest of all days to the infant son who will never know a mother's love, and a sorrowing husband, whose home is so soon broken, and to relatives and friends who greatly mourn her untimely death. Mrs. Johnson was about 26 years of age, a bright and upright lady. She with her parents moved to this vicinity three years ago, and she won the friendship of ail her acquaintances, She was a member of ths Lutheran church at this place, having joined with an adult class the 28th of last October.
The funeral services were conducted at the church Saturday afternoon, and although the weather was very disagreeable, a large number of friends were present to pay their last tribute. Six of the gentlemen who were members of the same confirmation class as deceased acted as pallbearers: Albert, Eddie and Harry Lindquist, Walter Sandquist, Ernest Westenburg and and Hilmer Bloom. Interment took place at the Nyman cemetery. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Jan 4, 1907


Johnson, Mahlon C. - Mahlon C. Johnson died Tuesday, Oct. 3, 1899, at 12 o'clock noon, aged 54 years, 5 mouths and 20 days. Several years ago he was stricken with paralysis and rendered almost helpless, and for months past life had been a burden to the unfortunate man. In years goue by Mr. Johnson was a popular man, having been elected for three terms sheriff of this county. He was an old soldier, having served his country well in the civil war. He leaves a wife aud three grown children to mourn his death. The funeral was held at the U. P. church yesterday at 10:30, under charge of the G. A. R., Rev, L. F. Compton preaching the sermon, and his remains were taken to College Springs for interment. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Oct 5, 1899


Johnson, Thomas' INFANT - The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Thos. Johnson, living west of this city, died Saturday and was buried Sunday afternoon. Short funeral services were held at the home, after which interment took place at North Page ckurchyard. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Nov 25, 1902

Mr.and Mrs. Thos. Johnson's infant babe died suddenly Saturday at their home west of the city. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Nov 27, 1902

Johnson, Thomas, Mrs - Mrs. Chas. Seaburg received the sad news of her mother's death, at Galesburg, Ill., Friday morning. Mrs. Seaburg and Mrs. Jones Swanson, of Hepburn, left for Galesburg the same day to attend the funeral Sunday. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Mar 14, 1899


Johnson, Vie - Vie Johnson wife of Thornton Johnson, died at tne home of Joshua Johnson on Wednesday morning. The funeral will be held Friday afternoon, being buried in the cemetery near New Market. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Nov 20, 1913


Johnson, Chas, Mrs - Mrs. Chas. Johnson, mother of Clarence Johnson of this city, died Wednesday morning at 1 o'clock a. in. She was a lady about 70 years old and had lived in Page county for many years. The funeral was held at her late home near Bethesda yesterday afternoon at 3 o'clock at which place she was buried. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Jul 11, 1902



John P. Johnson was crushed beneath the wheels of a switching freight train Friday morning in the city yards, and died Tuesday morning from the results of his injuries. Just how the terrible accident occurred will probably never be known, as it is said no one saw him until the brakeman assisting in switching cars in the yard near the stock pens discovered a man under the rear car from the engine. It is said Mr Johnson had been delivering milk to a neighbor from his home east of the railroad for a long time, passing between the oil tank and the stock yard fence. This brought him to the sidetracks and a car standing on the first rails hid the moving cars on the second track which probably caught him as he stepped over the rails, and he was doubled up and rolled beneath the car. His right arm was mangled from the hand close up to the shoulder, a severe scalp wound on his forehead, the fingers on the left hand crushed and bruises on many parts of his body. He was removed to his home and the company officials called Dr. Powers who rendered him all possible service. It was evident his arm had to be amputated, but it could not be done until he had somewhat recovered from the shock. Monday morning blood poison was evident, and about noon Drs. Powers, Matthews and Phillips amputated the arm about three inches below the shoulder. But recovery was doubtful with the physicians, although he came out of the operation as well as expected. Toward morning be grew worse and sank away about six o'clock. Mr. Johnson was about 64 years of age and he had been a stock buyer in this city a good many years. His long familiarity with moving trains probably caused him to become careless. The awful accident brings deep grief to all. He leaves a wife and several children, but the latter being well grown up. The funeral was held today at 1 o'clock p. m., and his remains laid to rest in the city cemetery. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa Jan 31, 1907

Chas. Shoemaher and wife of Hastings, Iowa, were called to this city Saturday by the terrible accident which befell her father, J. P. Johnson, which led to his death Tuesday morning. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Jan 31, 1907

John Johnson is Dead,
John Johnson, the Clarinda man who was hurt in ths accident at the Burlington switch yards in this city Friday morning, died at his home in east Clarinda this morning a little before six o'clock, utterly worn out with the suffering and shock of the accident and the operation yesterday, which was his only hope.
The surgeons yesterday afternoon removed the crashed right arm at the shoulder. The operation was a very critical one and was of course, a very severe shock to Mr. Johnson in his weakened physical condition.
In regard to the accident itself, there is very little more to tell than was given in Friday's paper.
The special agents of the Burlington road were in this city Sunday looking up data on the accident. Littlejohn, the conductor of No. 98 was in the yards at the time directing his engineer by signal in the switching of the cars and was standing at one side of the moving cars. The first he knew of the accident was when he saw a man's legs projecting outside the track while the man was being pushed ahead of the brakebeam of the front car of those that were being pushed down the switch by the engine. The conductor at once gave hit engineer the emergency signal to stop and the moving cars were stopped short. Measurements taken Sunday showed that the man was pushed along tbe track ahead of the brake beam just seven feet and a half, his body lying across the rail, feet outward. Evidently in his struggles to get out of the awful position he found himself in, Johnson had thrown out his right hand and arm which were caught under the wheel and crashed.
As already stated Johnson was crossing the tracks from the direction of his home, with a pail of milk, toward the corner of Ninth & Water streets to deliver milk to a customer.
John Johnson was born February 4, 1842, near Stockholm, Sweden, where he made his home until nineteen years of age when he came to America, attracted by the wonderful opportunities of the New World.  He came to Clarinda thirty-five years ago and has since made this his home, applying himself industriously to his work and providing a comfortable living for his family.  Soon after coming to Clarinda he marriad Flora M. Dalrymple, the daughter of W. Dalrymple and to this union seven children were born, all of whom are living except one boy, Charlie, who died in infancy. The remaining children are James, John and Ett Johnson, of this city; Mrs. Minnie Shoemaker, of Hastings, lowa; Mrs. Anna Manley, of St. Joseph, Mo; and Ira, now at Eldora.  All the children are here today except Ira who will probibly   reach   home tomorrow morning.  The funeral will be conducted tomorrow afternoon at two o'clock by Rev. W, T. Fisher of the Christian church.
For many years Mr. Johnson had followed the occupation of a stock buyer and for the past few months had been employed in this capacity by J. W. Barry. He was an experienced stockman and enjoyed a good name among the stock raisers of the country being sqaare and honest in his dealings. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Jan 29, 1907





Mrs.Lottie S. Johnson of Shenandoah who was committed to the Clarinda asylum July 12th, died yesterday morning and her remains were shipped home last evening.   She was 70 years old. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Apr 20, 1905

Mrs. Eliza Jane Johnston died Friday night at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Sarah M. Lee, on North 16th street, at the advanced age of 92years. Her passing away marks the loss of one of the good old mothers who helped to mould aud advance our great country from its early history. For many years she was a resident of College Springs and a devout member of the United Prerbyterian church. For several years past she had resided in this city and all who knew the old lady highly admired her womanly qualities. A good old lady has gone to her reward for the good deeds performened in this world. The funeral took place from her late home Monday morning at 9 o'clock, conducted by her pastor, Rev. Dr. Williamson of the U. P. church, and interment at College Springs. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Nov 17, 1910

Andrew Johnson,  Farmer Northwest of Essex Meets Tragic Death.
Andrew Johnson, a farmer living northwest of Essex accidentally shot and killed himself this morning a little after 7 o'clock at his home farm. The fatal accident took place shortly before breakfast, when he went to the house to get his shot gun telling the family he saw a ribbit he wanted to kill. The next his wife knew, he was dead. Two sons, age eight and ten years survive, besides his wife and two brothers, Charles living in the town of Essex and Joe who lives in the country. His mother, Mrs. C. A. Melin also resides in Essex and one step-brother Frank Melin in Council Bluffs. The funeral was held at the home at 1 p.m., Tuesday, and at the Church of the Latter Day Saints at 2 p.m. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Mar 6, 1919

Andrew P. Johnson Loses Life While Hunting a Rabbit
A very sad accident occurred about six and three-quarters miles north of Shenandoah   last   Monday morning about 7:45, when Andrew P. Johnson lost his life.   Mr. Johnson looked out of the kitchen window before breakfast and saw a rabbit about sixty yards or so from the house.   He told his wife that he was going to get it, so took his gun and left the house. Later when he did not return Mrs. Johnson sent the children after him and they found their father had been fatally wounded by the discharge of the gun. ;He had jumped on some brush in a ditch and in some manner the weapon had been discharged.  Coroner Roy E. I.| Harmon of Clarinda was called but the accident was so obviously accidental that no inquest was held. The late Mr. Johnson leaves a widow and two sons, Glenn and Carroll.   His mother, Mrs.rMelin, is also living.   Services were to be held today at the residence at 1 p.m., and later at the Latter Day Saints church in Shenandoah, at 2 o'clock. .Burial was in Shenandoah cemetery. The deecased was born on the farm on which he died, and had spent his entire life there.   He was thirty-eight years of age. CLARINDA JOURNAL, Clarinda, Iowa, Mar 6, 1919


Johnson, Andrew

Andrew Johnson, an old resident of Page county, died at the State Hospital, last Saturday and the funeral was held from the North Grove church Sunday afternoon, the services being conducted by the pastor and interment made in the North Church cemetery. Mr Johnson was 61 years of age, and is survived by his wife and three children- Mrs. George Head of New Market, and Roy and Ray Johnson who live at home. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, May 23, 1916

[Special Correspondent of The Journal] —Andrew M. Johnson was born in Stockholm, Sweden, Dec. 7, 1855, and departed this life, May 20, 1916, at 2:15 p.m., at Clarinda, la., aged 60 years 5 months and 13 days. In 1860 he came with his parents to this country. His parents dying at sea. He was adopted by Ren Waters of Page Center, with whom he grew to manhood. At the age of 25 years he became a Christian, uniting with the Methodist Episcopal church of College Springs. From that place he transferred his membership to North Grove, and from there to Hepburn, la., where he remained a faithful Christian to the end. On March 3, 1890, he was united in marriage with Mrs. Catherine Schenck of College Springs. To this union were born five children, two dying in infancy. Those living to mourn their loss are his wife, one daughter, Mrs. George Head of New Market, and two sons, Albert and Roy, of Hepburn. Andrew Johnson has been a true husband and a loving father and will be greatly missed by his loved ones. The funeral services were held Sunday at 3 p.m., at North Grove, conducted by Rev. J. N, McCurdy of Villisca. CLARINDA JOURNAL, Clarinda, Iowa, May 25, 1916

Obituary of A. M. Johnson.
Andrew M. Johnson was born in Stockholm, Sweden, December 7, 1855, and departed this life May 20, 1916, at 2:15 p. m., at Clarinda, Iowa, at the age of 60 years, 5 months and 3 days.  
In 1860 he came with his parents, to this country. His parents dying at sea, he was adopted by Ren Waters of Page Center, with whom he grew to manhood.
At the age of 25 years he became a Christian, uniting with the M. E. church at College Springs. From this place he transferred membership to North Grove and from there to Hepburn, Iowa, where he remained a faithful Christian to the end.
On March 3, 1890 he was united in marriage with Mrs. Catharine Schenck of College Springs, Iowa.
To this union were born five children, two dying in infancy. Those living to mourn his loss are his wife, Mrs. George Head of New Market, Albert and Roy, of Hepburn, Iowa.
Andrew has been a true husband and a loving father and will be greatly missed by his loved ones.
The funeral services were held at North Grove Sunday, May 18 at 3 p. m., conducted by Rev. J. N. McCurdy of Villisca. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Jun 1, 1916

August Johnson.
Douglas Township, Page County, May 22 —[Special Correspondence of the Journal] —At. his home in Douglas township, early Sunday morning, occurred the death of August Johnson. So swiftly did the death come that few outside the family circle knew of his being ill. In the early part of the past week he had attended his business affairs as usual. For some months Bright's disease had been keeping him at home to some extent, and an acute attack in the middle of the week gave warning that the end was near.
Mr. Johnson was widely known outside of Douglas township, because of the positions of trust and honor he had held. He was engaged in extensive farming and cattle feeding operations.
This loss is keenly felt by the family, the community, and the church at Bethesda.
August Johnson was born in Sweden, March 13, 1858. With his parents, his brothers and sisters, he landed in New York July 4, 1866. The family settled in Illinois just opposite the city of Muscatine, la., in 1878 they moved to Page county. This county has ever since been Mr. Johnson's place of residence with the exception of five years spent in Kansas and Colorado.
On Feb. 17, 1802,   August .Johnson was united in marriage with Miss Matilda Anderson at Goodwin, Kan. To this union were born seven children, one daughter dying in infancy, and Marie at 11 years. The wife survives as do the following children: Elvira, Violet, Arnold, Ray and Marion. There are two sisters, Mrs. Christine Quist of Missouri Valley and Mrs. Marie Holtman of Randolph. Kan. The three brothers are John of Wichita, Kan., C. E. and A. F. of Bethesda. The aged stepmother is also living at Bethesda.
Mr. Johnson was a deacon in the Swedish Lutheran church at Bethesda. He was a member of the first class ever confirmed in this church. This was in the year 1873.
When it appeared that life was fast ebbing, Mr. Johnson was aware of the great change. He expressed himself as content to go. His passing was in sleep. And it seemed to the watchers that the transition was one of real peace.
When very young in years the lad August was experiencing what would over­burden strong men. Cholera attacked the ship's passengers on the way from Sweden. The mother and little baby were claimed by death soon after landing. The landing at New York was on the Nation's Independence day. This was never a forgotten event.
At eight years of age the boy was taking a man's part, helping to cut logs and raft, them across the river to Muscatine.
When younger people look at Mr. Johnson's work and plans as good luck, perhaps, it is well to remember it was not accomplished with anything less than the rarest type of courage. CLARINDA JOURNAL, Clarinda, Iowa, May 24, 1917

Johnson, Rufus -

Rufus Johnson was born December 19, 1837, at Chillicothe, Ohio. He attended and graduated from Urbana Collegiate Institute and later took a special course in Wurtenberg College at Springfield, O. Attended also at Monmouth, Ill., and Xenia Seminary, Xenia, Ohio. He was licensed to preach in the United Presbyterian church by the Xenia presbytery June 15, 1866, and was ordained by Muskingum presbytery June 15, 1869. His first pastoral charge was Pleasant Hill, Ohio, where he served from '69 to '7 3. Was.later at Elvira, Ohio, '74 to '76, Spring Grove, Indiana, from '76 to '80. He laid aside active ork in the ministry for a time on account of ' vocal trouble, living for a time in Omaha and also in Des Moines, at each of which places he conducted a printing office. Later he labored for two years among the mountain whites in Arkansas and this was his last active work in the ministry.
While in Arkansas he was married to Miss Isabel Dallas and to this union three children were born, one a son, having preceded the father to the better land, while two of this family survive the father, namely Mrs. Minnie Farquhar, of College Springs, and Samuel C. Johnson, of Leon, Iowa. The mother died many years ago.
He was later married to Miss Mary Jiles, and to them three children also were born. One has died and two survive, namely Mrs. Will Terrill, of Chicago, Ill., and Lee S. Johnson , of Clarinda.
Mr. Johnson had a very creditable war record in the Civil War, having served as private in Co. B, of the Hoffman Batallion, Ohio infantry; later as lieutenant in Co. P, 26th U. S. colored troops, and later still as captain of Co. C, 12 8th U. S. colored troops.
He was editor of the Blanchard Second in the early 80's.
Mr. Johnson died at his farm home east of Clarinda, an Sabbath night, June 4th, and the funeral services were held at the United Presbyterian church in this city, Tuesday morning at 8:30, conducted by Dr. W. C. Williamson, assisted by Rev. Munford, of Hepburn. The body was laid to rest in the family burying grounds at College Springs beside father, mother, two brothers, two sisters and one of his own children. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Jun 8, 1911

Rufus Johnson died at his home in Nodaway township, Sunday, June 4, 1911. The funeral was held at the U.P. church Tuesday morning, and was conducted by Rev W.C. Williamson. His body was laid to rest in the cemetery at College Springs. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Jun 8, 1911



Johnson, Nancy M. - Mrs. Nancy M. Johnson, wife of J. A. Johnson, died Monday, March 24, 1902, at their home three miles west of Clarinda, from typhoid fever. Mrs. Johnson had been sick but a short time and her unexpected death brings sorrow to all. She was a kind and affectionate woman and admired by all who knew her. She was 41 years of age, and leaves a husband and two small children to mourn the loss of a devoted wife and loving mother. The funeral took place yesterday at 2 p.m., from her late home, conducted by Rev. IlgenFritz, and her remains were laid to rest in the city cemetery. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Mar 27, 1902

J. A. Johnson is endeavoring to recover his children from Naney Terry of Beatrice, Neb., with whom they were placed after the death of their mother, west of this city a few years ago. The deposition of witnesses were taken in Wm. Orr's office Saturday for the case to be tried at Lincoln, Neb. A large number of witnesses were examined favorable to the recovery of the children by the father, J. A. Johnson. It looks as though he should have the care of his remaining family. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Mar 3, 1904


Johnson, Joshua S. -

Joshua S. Johnson died Monday at his home in South Clarinda, following a stroke of paralysis last Thursday, age 80 years, 9 months and 18 days. Mr. Johnson was a native of Pennsylvania and while yet a young man removed to Moline, Ill., and from there to this county about thirty years ago, residing in East River township. About sixteen years ago he quit the farm with his wife and located in this city. Last October his wife passed away. Three children were born to them, Thornton and Joseph of this city and Mrs. Mattie Couch of Colony, Kans., who with her husband, D. E. Couch, both of whom were present at the funeral. The funeral was held yesterday at 3 p. m. from the home conducted by Rev. C. M. Eppard. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Jul 30, 1914

The death of J. S. Johnson occured last Monday afternoon at one-thirty. Mr. Johnson had been a resident of this county for over thirty years and was well known by most of the older citizens of this community. The funeral was held Wednesday afternoon from the family home on 13th St. at three o'clock, and the interment was in Birchwood cemetery. The many flowers which covered the casket told the story of a man loved by all who knew him. Following is the obituary as read at the funeral:
J. S. Johnspn was born in West Chester, Co., Pa., on Nov. 9th, 1833 Died July 27th, 1914, in Clarinda, la., at the age of 80 years 9 months and 18 days.

He was married to Savessa Hoover at Clearfield, Pa. on March, 23rd, 1856. To this union was born three children Thornton H. Johnson and Joseph H. Johnson of Clarinda, Iowa, and Mattie E. Couch of Colony, Kansas. They moved to Moline, Ill., in 1865, and came to Page Co., Iowa, in 1883, where they lived on a farm in East River township for 16 years, and came to Clarinda, Iowa, in 1899 where they have since made their home. His wife departed this life on Oct. 2nd, 1913, he is survived by three children, eight grandchildren and nine great grand-children. His children being present at the time of his death. He had been a sufferer from paralysis for the past few years CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Jul 30, 1914





Johnston, Thomas J. -

Thos. J., the six year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Tom Johnston, living out at the Johnston coal mines, met with a horrible death Saturday forenoon. It is said he was riding one of his fathers horses when the animal became frightened and threw him from the saddle and one of his feet getting caught in the stirrup he was dragged and pounded on the ground by the running horse until he was dead. It was a sad affair and the bereaved family have the sympathy of all. The funeral was held Sunday at 10 a. m., from the home. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Sep 19, 1907

Sad Death of Little Boy.
Thomas J., the six year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Tom Johnston, living west of town, met death suddenly Saturday forenoon by being thrown from a horse. The little fellow, who was a bright active boy always ready to take part in the activities of the farm, had ridden to the back end of the farm with a jug of water for the men who were making fence. On his way back to the house the horse became unmanageable and threw the boy from the saddle, one foot catching in the stirrup strap, and by this the little boy was dragged to his death, and although medical aid was at once summoned the child died about twenty minutes after
the accident took place. The funeral services were conducted Sunday morning at the home by Rev. J. B. Jackson of Tarkio, and the body was laid to rest at North Page cemetery. In their deep sorrow the bereaved parents, grandparents and the other children have the sincere sympathy of the entire
community, for all who knew the little boy found him a cheery, light-hearted, happy-faced little man whose loss is deeply felt by all. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Sep 17, 1907




Johnson, Lillie Krutzinger -

Mrs. Lillie Johnson, wife of James Johnson, died at her home in Creston on Saturday, March 26, at 8:30 p. m., aged 28 years, 7 months and 2 days.
She was born in Lucas county, and while a small child came with her parents to Clarinda. Here the mother died, and not long afterwards the father, L. C. Krutzinger, removed with his children to his old home. There the subject of this sketch resided until Feb. 3, 1900, when she was united in marriage to James Johnson. To them were born two children. The family moved to Creston last July, where they
have since resided. Funeral services were held Tuesday, March 29, at 10 a. m., conducted by Rev. Ellson, pastor of the Christian church. The body was brought to this city the same day and laid to rest in the Rawlins cemetery on the following day. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Mar 31, 1910


Johnson, Mabel -

Miss Mabel Johnson, the twelve year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. G. Johnson of Douglas township, died Tuesday, after two weeks illness from stomach trouble. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Mar 15, 1906

Miss Mabel Johnson the fourteen year old daughter of A. G. Johnson, of Bethesda, died Tuesday after an illness of two weeks. She was laid to rest in the Bethesda cemetery Wednesday. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Mar 16, 1906


Johnson, Lucy Ann -

Johnson Baby Passed Away

Little Lucy Ann Johnson passed away Aug. 11th, at 6.30 in the morning, being laid to rest on Tuesday Aug. 13th in Clarinda cemetery, Rev. R. C. Snodgrass conducting the services. The child was just past three years of age, having been born June 25th 1915. She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ira W. Johnson, who have another child that is quite sick, and we understand the mother is in poor health also. Their home is on E. Water Street near Swift & Co's office building. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Aug 15, 1918


Johnson, Selma - Miss  Selma Johnson, formerly of Fremont township, Page county, died last week at the home of her brother, J. M. Johnson, at Red Oak.   Her age was 49 years.   She was the daughter
of the late Mr. and Mrs. Isaac M. Johnson, was born in Henry county, Ill. The family came to Fremont township in 1869.   Miss Johnson lived in Page county up to about ten years ago. Besides her brother, J. M. Johnson, she is survived by a sister, Mrs. Adeline Johnson of Red Oak, and brothers C. A. W. Johnson of Joliet, Mont.; An thony Johnson of Omaha, and O. H. Johnson of   Grant   township,    Page county.   She was a member of the Swedish Mission church of Red Oak.
Her funeral was held from the home and at that church last Sunday afternoon.  Burial was in the Palsey cemetery at Red Oak. CLARINDA JOURNAL, Clarinda, Iowa, May 9, 1918    


Johnson, Chas. S. -

Chas S. Johnson, a resident of this city many years ago, died March 1st at Los Gatos, Cal. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Mar 8, 1906


Judge Chas. S. Johnson died at Los Gatos, Cal., March 1, aged 52 years and six months, He was born August 31, 1853, in Jones county Iowa, and came with his parents to this county, when about twelve years old and it was here that he received a good part of his schooling. He worked here also at the printer's trade, being employed in both the Democrat and the Herald offices. 

He graduated from the law school at Iowa City and practiced law in Nebraska until appointed District Judge of Alaska in 1896. His home was at Cape Nome, Alaska and he was at Los Gatos, California to spend the winter. He has two sisters in this city, the Medames W. I. Black and Margaret Sutherland. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Mar 6, 1906


Johnson, C. Alfred - A resident of Page county, la., for all but two years since 1871, C. Alfred Johnson, died at his home at Essex, Wednesday, April 12, 1916.   He was born March 25, 1850, in Sweden, and came to the United States in 1866. He settled first at La Porte, Ind., then moved to Muscatine, la., where he lived for a short time.   On his arrival in Page county in 1871 he located as a farmer in Douglas township.  He married, April 10, 1875, Miss Sophia Mainquist.   Nine children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, two of whom died in infancy; one daughter, Nellie, died in 1905.  The children living are Ed, in Douglas township; Oscar, near Stanton; Victor, near Essex; Helen (Mrs. Raleigh Anderson) near Essex; Herbert and LeRoy, in Douglas township.
Mrs. Johnson died March 4, 1895. Mr. Johnson was married twice.   For his second wife he married Miss Minnie Quist, May 28, 1910.   They lived in Red Oak two years.   Four years ago Mr. and Mrs. Johnson moved to Essex, anong surviving relatives of Mr. Johnson are four brothers and two sisters:
August, Ed and Albert, of near Hepburn; Mrs. Mary Hultman of Leonardville, Kan., and Mrs. Christine Quist of Missouri Valley, la.  Mr. Johnson was taken ill the Friday before his death, which took place the next Wednesday night. He was a successful farmer, having acquired a farm of 320 acres in Douglas township, one of 153 acres in Pierce township, and a good residence property in Essex.   There were funeral services at Essex Sunday forenoon at the Bethesda Lutheran church in the afternoon.   Burial was at Bethesda. CLARINDA JOURNAL, Clarinda, Iowa, Apr 20, 1916    

C. Alfred Johnson was born in Sweden March 25th, 1850, and at the time of death was 66 years and 17 days old. He came to this country in 1866 and settled first at La Porte. Indiana, remaining there however, only a short time, moving the same year to Muscatine, Iowa. In 1872 he came to Page county where he has since made his home. He owned a fine half section of land near Hepburn and the farm occupied by his son, Victor, just north of Essex, beside other property including the home in Essex.
He was married April 10th, 1875 to Miss Sofie Mainquist. To this union nine children were born, five boys and four girls, two of the daughters dying when small children and a daughter, Nellie, died in 1905 at the age of 19 years. The five boys, Ed. Oscar, Victor, Herbert and Le Roy, and the only daughter, Mrs. Raleigh Anderson, all live near Essex and were present when he passed away. Mrs. Johnson died March 4th, 1895. Mr Johnson was married twice. For his second wife he married Miss Minnie Quist, May 28th, 1910. They lived in Red Oak two years. Four years ago, Mr and Mrs Johnson moved to Essex, among surviving relatives of Mr Johnson are four brothers and two sisters: August, Ed and Albert, of near Hepburn; Mrs Mary Hultman of Leonardville, Kan., and Mrs Christine Quist of Missouri Valley, Ia. Mr Johnson was taken ill the Friday before his death, which took place the next Wednesday night. He was a successful farmer, having acquired a farm of 320 acres in Pierce township, and a good residence property in Essex. There were funeral services at Essex Sunday forenoon at the Bethesda Lutheran church in the afternoon.
The remains were laid to rest in Bethesda cemetery. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Apr 20, 1916


Johnson, Albert's BABY GIRL -


July 8.—A baby girl was born to Mr. and Mrs. Albert Johnson July 1. The little one only lived four hours. They layed it away in Rose Hill cemetery. CLARINDA JOURNAL, Clarinda, Iowa, Jul 11, 1918


Johnson, C.J., Mrs -

John Lagerquist and wife were called to Essex Saturday to attend the funeral of his sister, Mrs. C. J. Johnson, which took place Sunday. She was a woman highly respected in that community and her death is deeply mourned by all. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Jan 19, 1911


Johnson, Olivia Mrs Olivia Johnson, of near Essex died Nov. 5th at the Clarinda State hospital, at the age of 37 years The funeral was held at the Nyman church Friday. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Nov 14, 1918


Johnson, Mary Ann - Mary Ann Johnson, died at her home near Hawleyville, Saturday, Aug. 12, 1916, at 7:50 P. M. She was 63 yrs., 9 mos. and 1 day of age at time of death. The funeral was held at the home and the remains were entered in the College Springs cemetery. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Aug 17, 1916


Johnson, Ed - Mr and Mrs C. A. Malmberg went to Creston Thursday, to attend the funeral of a nephew, Ed. Johnson, who had died at Pueblo, Colo and was shipped in for burial. The .funeral was held Sunday afternoon from the Swedish Lutheran church. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Oct 27, 1910


Johnson, Savessa Hoover - Mrs. Savessa Hoover Johnson was born near Clearfield, Jefferson county, Penn., Dec. 22, 1829. She moved with her parents to Illinois at the age of twelve years, living there until twenty years of age, when she moved back to Pennsylvania. On March 23rd, 1856, she was married to John S. Johnson, who survives her. Three children were born to this union, who survive her. They are Thornton H. Johnson of Clarinda, Mrs. Mattie E. Couch of Colony, Kans., and Joe H. Johnson of Clarinda. She has been a sufferer for a number of years. Several years ago she had a paralytic stroke, from which she partly recovered, and was able to be about. Last Thursday she had a second stroke, which resulted in her death Friday evening at 9.30. She was 83 years, 10 months and 9 days of age, having lived in Page county 31 years and in Clarinda 15 years. She was a loving mother and wife, and those who knew her best loved her most. The funeral services were conducted from the home, corner of 13th and Grant Sts Saturday at 3 p. m. by Rev. Clifford Cox. pastor of the Baptist church, and she was laid to rest in Clarinda cemetery. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Oct 16, 1913

Mrs. J. S. Johnson died last Thursday, Oct. 2, at her home in southeast Clarinda, from creeping paralysis, aged 84 years, 2 months and 20 days. She had been in feeble health for a long time. The funeral took place Saturday from the home, conducted by Rev. Clifford Cox, and interment in the city cemetery. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Oct 9, 1913


Johnson, Magnes - Magnes Johnson, an early settler of Douglas Center, died at his home Monday afternoon, after an illness of about one day. Mr. Johnson had enjoyed remarkably good health and had been able to lay up a good share of this world's goods to his own account. He brought up a family of five boys and two girls, who have each one made a financial success of life. The children were all expected to attend the funeral. Tbe funeral was held from the Bethesda church at three o'clock on Wednesday, conducted by Rev. Holmen, of Essex. Had Mr. Johnson lived until September he would have reached the ripe age of 88 years. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Jun 9, 1910


Johnson, Hulda Olivia

Hulda Olivia Johnson was born January 4, 1887, and died March 21, 1908, aged 21 years, 2 months and 17 days.
The deceased was the daughter of Mrs. Frank Larson by a previous marriage, and died at the Larson home after a short illness, of diphtheria.
The departing of loved ones is very sad under any circumstances, but doubly so when stricken with a disease that makes it impossible for sympathizing neighbors and friends to lend a helping hand in the hour of greatest need. The bereaved family have the deepest sympathy of the entire community.
Every precaution was taken to prevent the spread of the disease, and at this writing no other cases have developed. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Mar 27, 1908


Johnson, Hulda Swanson - This community was saddened Tuesday to hear of the sudden death of Mrs. Ed. Johnson. Because of its suddeness Hulda's death was a particularly sad one. She was just in the prime of life, blessed with an unusual intellect. She died with her face toward God and in her intense suffering, she prayed tenderly and had the full assurance that God heard and answered her prayer. The young life which had been short, but noble, went out into eternity leaving a bereaved husband. She was an earnest member of the Swedish Lutheran church of Bethesda. Hulda Swanson was born in Andover, Ill., 1880. She was married to Ed Johnson in 1907, to them was born one child, a son who died in infancy. The funeral was held Thursday afternoon at one o'clock from the home and two at the church and was attended by a large crowd. The services were conducted by Rev. Franzen. Singing was furnished by Rev. . and Mrs. Franzen, Anna Swanson and Oscar Engstrom. The pall bearers were Sanfred and Charley Nelson, Charley Lilja, Gilbert Larson, Clarence Hull and Victor Oline. Hulda is mourned by her sorrowing husband, a mother Mrs Alexander Swanson, two sisters, two brothers, namely Amelia Swanson, Mrs C.E. Johnson, Oscar and Emil. To the bereaved husband and relatives is extended the sympathy of the entire community. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Jan 23, 1919


Johnson, Guy -

The Clearmont News tells of the accidental shooting of a young man of that town
Last Saturday evening Guy Johnson and Clayton Brownfield, two boys aged respectively 16 and 13, went out west of town to what is known as the levee, to shoot frogs.
The boys were seen on the, levee with their guns about 7:30 by A. Stelter and Claude Skeed, as they were coming from the wheat field north of the levee. Claude Skeed, who lives near the levee, had only been home a few minutes when the Brownfield boy came running to the house and told him that the Johnson boy was shot and was lying down on the levee, but he was so scared that he could hardly talk. Skeed sent the boy to town for a doctor, then ran to the levee, where he found Johnson lying and bleeding from a wound in the small of the back, which had the appearance of being caused by the full charge of a shotgun at close range; also both guns were close by. Skeed then picked up the boy and started to carry him to the house, but just before he got to the road, about 150 yards from the place of the shooting, he was met by the depot agent and his helper, Ray Burton and Walter Davis, who were at the depot and were told of the accident by Brownfield as he ran by on the road for a doctor. Skeed laid Johnson down on the grass to rest, and just then a buggy came along coming to town, so they stopped it and put Johnson in and sent him to his home, Burton going along and holding him.
The doctor arrived, examined and dressed the wound, but said he could give no hope, as the entire charge had entered the back near the spine, and had undoubtedly pierced the kidneys and lungs, and he did not think he could live long, which proved true, as he passed away in about two hours. He was conscious up to the last, and said that the shooting was accidental, and that there was no one to blame.
Young Brownfield says he was standing with his gun half cocked, with his thumb on the hammer, and that his thumb slipped off and the gun was discharged, the shot striking Johnson in the back. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Jul 29, 1909


Johnson, Bobbie -

Uncle Bobbie Johnson who formerly lived in College Springs, but later of Nebraska died recently at the home of his son, Al, of Bright's disease. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Oct 25, 1917


Johnson, John -

John Johnson Returned From The Gold Fields of    '49, and Located in Douglas Township.
The subject of this sketch located on a farm at what is now Bethesda and moved from their to be near to a daughter in Stanton. The following is from The Call: | "Another man who was here when this part of the country was young, has gone to the Great Beyond. The summons came last Saturday, January 14, 1911, to John Johnson. For the past two and one half years he had been bedridden, partly because of old age but more particularly as the result of a fall sustained that far back. The lower parti of his body was rendered useless and he became a helpless invalid.. Mentally he continued to the end to be unimpaired. When it was seen last week that he was weakening, the children were sent for, but only one, Mrs. Wm. Nelson, of Red Oak, came home in time to see him in life.
"John Johnson was born in Vestraryd socken, Ostergotbland, Sweden, September 18, 1821, and therefore lived to be 89 years, 3 months and 26 days old. He came to Swedona, Ill., as early as 1847, and a couple of years later went with the forty-niners on the overland trail to California. He managed to get a stake of gold and then returned to Sweden. After staying for awhile there and settling his mother's estate, he brought her with him to Mercer county, Illinois. In 1856, at Andover, he married Miss Edla Maria Sophia Warner and, together with his mother, they lived in the neighborhood of Swedona until 1870 when they moved to Page county, Iowa, and settled on a farm where Bethesda is now. The Lutheran church there stands on land that belonged to his farm. That farm was their home until to 1909, when they sold it and built a comfortable and inviting home in Stanton and moved into that. There John Johnson died.
"Besides his faithful wife, who cared for him well during his illness, the nearest bereavd are the children: Mrs Benjamin Wallin, of Stanton; Mrs. J. A. Anderson, Omaha; Mrs. Rose Hawkinson, Kansas City, Mo.; Mrs. Charles Tornblom, Wahoo, Nebr.; Irene Johnson, Omaha; Aleck Johnson, at present in Stanton; Mrs. Wm. Nelson, Red Oak. There were ten children, but three of them are dead. There are also nineteen grandchildren. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson were charter members of the Bethesda congregation, and among its members he had many friends. Upon moving here they joined the Lutheran congregation of Stanton.
"The funeral was held Tuesday. There were brief services at the home and then at the church, where Rev. C. O. Lund preached in Swedish and Rev. Randolph spoke briefly in English. Mrs. C. O. Lund sang a solo, and a quartet sang a couple of songs. There were some very handsome floral gifts. All the children were here for the funeral. The grandchiildrn, Miss Mayme and Carl Wallin, also came from Omaha. Pall bearers were John and Henry Wallin, Johannes Larson, Frederick Anderson, J. S. Anderson and C. W. Swanson. Interment was in the Mamrelund cemetery." CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Jan 26, 1911


Johnson, Eliza

The funeral of Mrs. Eliza Johnson was held from Chas. Gates undertaking rooms yesterday morning and the body was interred at the Clarinda cemetery, Rev. Dr. Bailey, of Bennett, Nebr., conducting the services. Mrs. Johnson was formerly a resident of Page county, having lived several years at Page Center, from which place the family moved to Bennett, Nebr, about fifteen years ago. Mrs. Johnson was 65 years, 5 months and 18 days old at the time of her death and is survived by several children who were present at the funeral. Two children are buried in the cemetery here and the remains of the deceased woman were laid to rest at their side. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Apr 27, 1906


Johnson, Eliza Jane Carson

In Memoriam.
The subject of this notice, Mrs. Eliza Jane Johnson, was born two miles north of Chillicothe, Ohio, a little more than, nine-two years ago. Her parents, Ebenezer and Nancy (Barry) Carson, settled in Ross county, Ohio, in the very early years of the nineteenth century, having removed from Washington county, Pennsylvania, Her religious training received earnest attention, and she was brought up from early youth to fear God and keep His commandments; and she never forsook the God of her youth, but early identified herself with the church of her parents and the church of her forebears of many generations.

In March of 1837, she was married to Samuel Johnson, a young man reared and taught in the right ways of the Lord as she had been, and identified with the same little band of Christians, the Associate Reformed Presbyterian congregation of Chillicothe. In this happy material relation this couple lived and mutually kept their marriage vows for more than half century, or until the beloved husband was removed by death, November 25, 1888. From this time on she remained a widow, for 22 years lacking only 6 days, when the earthly house of the tabernacle in which she had so long sojourneed was dissolved and she entered the building of God, the house not made with hands, to abide under the shadow of the Almighty forever.
She was the mother of 8 children, all of whom lived to years of maturity; and all of whom gave good, evidence of the sturdy religious character of their parents, and all but one becoming members of the church to which the parents belonged and so remained until removed by death, or as long as they lived. Four of these children, Ebenezer Carson, Nannie, Elizabeth and Samuel have passed away, and their bodies lie entombed in the cemetery at College Springs. Four still remain in the flesh, Rufus, Mrs Sarah M. Lee, of Clarinda, Mrs. Etta M. Graham, of Loveland, Colo, and Nathaniel T., of Centerton, Ark. Two of the sons, the only ones old enough at the time, served in the army, of the Union in the war of the rebellion.
This family removed from the old home place in Ross county, Ohio, to Champaign county in the same state, in September of 1853. Here they remained until early in 1864, when they left Ohio and came to Iowa, settling in the vicinity of College Springs, that they might have the privileges of the church in which all had been baptized and reared. After the death of the husband and father, the widow sold out at the Springs and bought a home in Clarinda, in which she and two sons resided for   many years.
About the time of her eightieth year she went to live with her children. For the greater portion of this time she has remained at the home of Mrs. Sarah M. Lee, and here she died November 19th, and from this home her remains were borne to the cemetery at College Springs, where lie those who have gone before. All were present at her death except the son im Arkansas. A grandson, Sam. C. Johnson, of the Leon Electric Company of Decatur county, Iowa, came to attend the funeral.
Thus has passed away from this busy world one whose existence began long before there was any Clarinda, or any state of Iowa, or any railroads, or any telegraphs, or any telephones.
But with all the wonderful changes that took place in her day, her faith never changed. In all the terrible wars and commotions of her time her trust in God was never shaken. Through all the trials and sufferings and privations incident to her long life she remained faithful unto the end, and we who remain rest assured that now there rests upon her fair brow the crown of a never ending life in the presence of her Lord and Savior. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Nov 24, 1910

Jones, Robt, Mrs -

The ranks of the colored people are being thinned out somewhat, two deaths occurring the past week, that of Mrs. Robt. Jones who died Saturday, aged 65 years, and Mrs. Jas. Baker, who died Friday at Buxton, Iowa, and the remains were brought here for burial at her former home. She was 3I years of age. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Mar 1, 1906

Jones, Lee R. -

Lee R. Jones died last Thursday morning at Ft. Madison, of heart trouble.   Mr. Jones lived in Clarinda many years ago and while a resident of this town, served as city macshall for several   years. After leaving here he went to Ft. Madison and secured a position as guard in the penitentiary in which capacity he has served faithfully ever since.  He was said to be one of the best guards the institution has ever had. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Mar 15, 1904

Lee Jones, a former resident of this city, but for the past twenty or more years a guard at the Ft. Madison penitentiary, died March 10th of heart disease . PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Mar 17, 1904


Jones, Matilda -

Mrs. Matilda Jones, for many years a resident up near Hepburn, was buried in the city cemetery Friday, in the 60th year of her age. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Jan 18, 1906

Mrs. Matilda Jones, aged sixty years died at her home near Hepburn, last week and was laid to rest in the Clarinda cemetery Friday forenoon, Rev DeMunbrun conducting the services. Mrs. Jones was an old resident of the county and was well known by many here. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Jan 16, 1906


Jones, Wesley D./G. -

Word comes to this city from Camrose, Canada, of the death of W. G. Jones, the veterinary surgeon who practiced in this city several years. He passed away Sept, 16, from hemorrhages, covering the time from Friday until Monday. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Oct 10, 1912

The late Dr. Jones had his home in the vicinity of Glencoe, Ont. From there he went to Iowa for a time and three years ago this spring located in Camrose as a veterinary surgeon,. He always took an active interest in the affairs of the agricultural society and served for several years on the board of directors.  
Before the funeral, communications were received from relatives in Melbourne, Ont., and in Everett, Mass. Mrs. Jones, widow of the deceased, has the sympathy of the entire community in her bereavement.
Dr. Jones will be remembered as a former veterinary surgeon in this city. He died at Camrose, Alberta, Canada, on Monday, September 16, and the above notice is taken from a Camrose paper. [paper torn no date]

Word has been received here that Dr. Wesley D. Jones, who some years past was a veterinary surgeon in this cty, died recently at his home in Canada. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Sep 19, 1912


Johnson, Mary Ann Chatterton -

Dr. Mary Johnson. The Villisca Review of July 18 contained the following report of the death of Dr. Mary Johnson, mother of Mrs. C. W. Duke, formerly of Clarinda, now of Fort Logan, Colo.:
Dr. Mary Johnson, M. D., for many years a resident of Villisca, died Saturday afternoon at 3 o'clock at her home in Denver, Colo. Mary Ann Chatterton was born in Rye, England, Dec. 1, 1836. At the time of her death she was 82 years 7 months and 11 days of age. She came with her parents to this country in 1852 and lived at Cleveland, O. There she was united in marriage to Mark V. Johnson in 1854. To this union eleven children were born, six of whom are living. The children and the only sister, Mrs. W. D. Kyle of Omaha, were present at her death­bed. The sons and daughters who are living are: Dr. Mark Johnson of Corning, Mrs. Lida Richey of Denver, Colo.; Rev. Samuel C. Johnson of Orient, Long Island, N. Y.; Mrs. Maude Sly of Lincoln, Nebr.; Mrs. J. S. Ellis of Kellerton, la.; Mrs. Cressie Duke of Fort Logan, Colo. Besides these she has one brother, Samuel Chaterton of Oklahoma, and twenty grandchildren and four great grandchildren. E. J. Chatterton of this city is a nephew of the deceased. Mrs. Johnson came to Villisca with her husband about fifty years ago and until 1895 was a continuous resident of this vicinity. Besides being mother of a large family she was ambitious of wider learning and in 1888 completed a medical course and was graduated from the medical college at Keokuk, la. She was bereaved of her husband in September, 1893. Later she made her home in Lincoln, Nebr., and in 1902 moved to Denver. In Villisca as everywhere she resided she made many friends. During the late years of her life she attended the Sunshin mission. Jim Goodhaert, superintendent of the mission, conducted services in that city. The remains were brought to Villisca Wednesday, funeral services were held that afternoon by Rev. Mr. Menoher from the local Methodist church and burial was made in the cemetery here beside her husband. The following relatives were in Villisca Wednesday afternoon attending the funeral services: Mrs. Ollle Wilmot of Wilsonville, Nebr.; Samuel Chatterton of Marshfield, Mo.; Rev. J. S. Ellis and three children of Kellerton, la.; Mr. and Mrs. I. D. Kyle and Mrs. Eliza Kyle of Omaha, Nebr.; Rev. Samuel C. Johnson of Orient, Long Island, N. Y.; Miss Florence Chatterton of Red Oak; Dr. and Mrs. M. E. Johnson and son, Merrill of Corning; Mrs. Lida Richey of Denver, Colo.; T. J. Gourley, northwest of this city, Mrs. Mary Immegart, Mrs. Sarah Gasson, Mr. and Mrs. Bert Dirrim and daughter of southwest of Villisca, and Mr. and Mrs. N. P. Cronwall and Mrs. John Smith and daughter of southeast of Nodaway and Mrs. Jessie Lewis and son of north of Villisca and Miss Ruth Jenkins. CLARINDA JOURNAL, Clarinda, Iowa, Jul 24, 1919