Page County, Iowa obituaries
transcribed by Pat O'Dell
McMacken, J.D. -

J. D. McMacken dropped dead in New Market late Monday evening, without a moment's warning, from heart failure. It is said he was in conversation with Dr. McColm, as a farmer had called to have an injured arm treated, and with making the remark, "If it was a horse to be doctored I would know more about," he merely gave a gasp, threw up his hands and fell without uttering a word, and was dead. Mr. McMacken came from Kansas City last week and Saturday went to New Market to look after farms he owned near there. The family were notified at Kansas City and his son, Bert McMacken came up Tuesday evening and accompanied the remains home. It is said they will have his remains placed in a vault in that city for the present, and later on will be brought to this city for interment. The family resided here for a number of years and will probably return here in time. Mr. McMacken was a genial, wholesouled gentleman, honorable in his business transactions, and highly esteemed by all who knew him. Through his sharp business tact he accumulated a fair fortune and well enjoyed the income therefrom for years past. He was 73 years of age and his sudden taking off is deeply mourned by all. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Jun 2, 1904

Dies of Heart Trouble in New Market —Body Taken to Kansas City.

On Monday evening about 9 o'clock, J. D. McMacken suddenly dropped dead of heart trouble, at the residence of Dr. C. W. McColm. He had just arrived from Kansas City the preceding Friday, and in addition to looking after some business pertaining to his farm here, he decided to spend Decoration day in New Market. He had a very pleasant time during the day, but along about eight o'clock in the evening he began complaning that he did not feel well and had a pain in the stomach. He went up town to get some mustard for a plaster. He returned about nine o'clock and found Dr. McColm home suffering with a sprained shoulder and several working over him. He did not seem to be in any rush for his plaster, but told Mrs. McColm to look after the doctor's wants first, and in the meantime he was following them around, laughing and joking as was his custom. Mrs. McColm had been in the kitchen and was going into the other part of the house, when he following her, suddenly fell backward to the floor. J. S. Harris, who had been attending the doctor in the other room, rushed to the kitchen and found Mr. McMacken lying there gasping for breath. He raised him up, but the prostrated man was too far gone, and after opening his eyes for a few seconds he expired. The body was taken into the front room and laid on the sofa, and Dr. Kitchen telephoned for. With all the possible medical skill nothing could be done, and the news was immediately telephoned to Mrs. McMacken and his son, Bert, of Kansas City, who later arrived and took charge of the remains. Mr. McMacken is widely known both in Taylor and Page counties. He and his sons were in the mercantile business in this city for a number of years and they formerly resided in Clarinda, making that place their home for many years. Owing to the extensive amount of land owned by Mr. McMacken all over this part of the country, which needed his personal attention, he decided to make his home in Kansas City, as he would be more centrally located. He owns considerable land in Iowa, Missouri, Texas, Nebraska and in other states. Mrs. McMacken was so shocked by the news of her husband's death, that it was imposslble for her to come to New Market, but Bert McMacken and his wife took the body to Kansas City on the Wednesday noon train. They will rent a vault down there to put the body in until they decide just where they will make their future home. They may return to Clarinda and make that their future home,—New Market Herald. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Jun 7, 1904

Entire Community Saddened to Learn of the Death of J. D.McMacken so Long a Prominent Citizen of This City. The sad news was received this morning, announcing that Mr. J. D. McMacken, of New Market, so well known in this city and vicinity, died last night. He was at the home of Dr. McCall, and in comparatively good health, but about 9:40 o'clock, he suddenly became faint and passed away. For some time he had not been enjoying the best of health and during the last few days had not been feeling so well. Word was telegraphed to his son at Kansas City, who is expected to arrive in New Market today. No arrangements for the funeral will be made until the son arrives. The full particulars and an obituary will be published in our next issue. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, May 31, 1904




McMacken, N.J., Mrs -

Word has been received by Mrs. J. O. Rogers of this city telling of the death of Mrs. N. J. McMacken who was formerly a resident of Clarinda. The death took place at her daughter's home, Mrs. Brown Thompson, of San Diego, Calif., Friday, Feb. 13th, and the body will be taken to Topeka, Kas., for burial. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Feb 19, 1914


McMahon, Lawrence Carl - FATALLY STRICKEN AT PLAY.
Lawrence McMahon Dies from Hemorrhage of the Brain.
Villisca Review, Dec. 24: Lawrence, the 13-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. F. M. McMahon of Villisca, died suddenly Wednesday morning at 9:30 o'clock, his death resulting from hemorrhage of the brain.
While out in the yard at his home coasting with his sister Lucile, he complained to the latter that he had a severe pain over his eye and went at once into the house. He took off his shoes and lay down on a couch where he expired almost immediately and before the arrival of a physician who was called by Mrs. McMahon as soon as Lawrence went into the house and told her of the pain he was suffering.
About a year and a half ago Lawrence underwent an operation back of his right ear for a gathering in his head, but apparently he fully recovered from that. Whether the hemorrhage resulted from the operation is not known. He was not hurt while at play with his sled and had not complained of any illness until he told his sister of the pain in his forehead a few minutes before his death.
Lawrence's father, who is a conductor on the freight train on the south branch out of Villisca, was not at home at the time of his son's death, having gone on his regular run that morning, hut he was reached by a telegram at Bigelow, Mo, and returned home on the passenger which arrives here at 12:30 o'cock in the afternoon.
Lawrence Carl McMahon was born in Clarinda, Iowa, on Feb. 28, 1907, and soon afterward came to Villisca with his parents where he has since lived. Besides his parents he leaves also three brothers and two sisters. They are Wilbur, Melvin, Doris, Lucile and Joe, all living at home with their parents. CLARINDA JOURNAL, Clarinda, Iowa, Dec 30, 1920

Lawrence Carl McMahon, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank McMahon, of Villisca, Iowa, died at his home Wednesday, Dec. 22, 1920. The cause of death being hemorrhage of the brain and death came very suddenly.
Lawrence was born in Clarinda, Iowa, Feb. 28, 1907, and shortly afterwards moved with his parents to Villisca, Iowa, which has been his home since. He was soon to enter High School. He will be greatly missed among his class mates and friends. The funeral was held at the Methodist church in Villisca Friday, Dec. 24,1920, interment being made in the Villisca cemetery.
He leaves to mourn his loss a loving mother and father, three brothers, Wilbur, Melvin and Joe, two sisters, Doris and Lucille, and an aged grandfather, all of Villisca.
Relatives present at the funeral from a distance were, an uncle, Joe McMahon, of St. Joseph, Mo., another uncle, Lawrence Davison and family from Clarinda, and a cousin, Mrs. Claude Frey and husband from near Villisca, Mr. Matt Conway and sister, Lizzie, from Creston, Iowa, and Mr. and Mrs. Will Kennedy of near Corning, Miss O'Leary and brother Frank of Villisca. Also Mrs. Ben Dow, Mrs. Ed. Scott and daughter, Lucille, from Clarinda, and a large number of other friends including his class in school which attended in a body.
The pall bearers being selected from his closely associated schoolmates. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Jan 6, 1921

Lawrence Carl McMahon, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank McMahon now living in Villisca, died at his home Dec. 22nd, from hemorrhage of the brain which attacked him suddenly. He was born in Clarinda in 1907 his parents being well known here. The funeral was held in Villisca the day before Christmas. Lawrence Davison of Clarinda is an uncle and Mrs. Claude Frey a cousin. His class in school attended the funeral in a body, the pallbearers being selected from among his classmates. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Dec 30, 1920


McManama, J.M. -

J.   M.  McManama died last night from a cancer on his neck. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Feb 8, 1906

John Madison McMannama was born at Farmington, Ill., April 9, 1863.   He died at his home east of Clarinda, February 7, '06.
Mr. McManama had been afflicted with cancer for several years, and was a great sufferer.  He submitted heroically to some severe surgical operations, but all in vain. In the last operation, performed in Chicago, a section of the jugular vein was removed: but the cancer's progress was only slightly impeded by the operation, and it finally ate away the end of one part of the severed vein and the patient passed away within twenty minutes after the bursting of the large vein.
Mr. McMannama removed with his parents from Farmington, Ill., to Villisca, la., when about fourteen years of age. He was married to Evalin Stackhouse, of that city, February 24, '86. To them were born five children, two of wnom died in infancy. Three of them—John Franklin, Clara Ellen and Jesse Madison, survive with the faithful wife. 
Mr. McMannama entered the service of the C. B. & Q. Rail Road and worked for them about fourteen years.   He was a locomotive engineer at the time he was obliged to withdraw from   this  service on account of ill health,  He then became a traveling   salesman, but finally had to give up all work and patiently await the end through intense suffering, not alone from the cancerous trouble, but from neuralgia, as well.  Few  sufferers were ever more hopeful or patient. Few sufferers were ever more hopeful or patient.  Few men possess such a rare faculty of looking on the bright side of things as did John McMannama.
He was converted in the United Brethren church, in which he was raised, but never became a member. He earnestly hoped to become strong enough   to come   to the Baptist Church, of which his wife is a member, and be baptized.  He died trusting in Christ as his Savior. The funeral was conducted from his late home by Rev. W. G. Hoover, of the First Baptist church on Wednesday afternoon, at 2 o'clock.   The body was interred at Villisca, on Friday morning.     The   bereaved family have the sympathy   of hosts of friends. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Feb 16, 1906



McMichael, A.R. - Word comes to The Democrat of the death of A. R. McMichael of Coin, and
his many friends are very much grieved to hear of his demise, which oceured at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Merton Utter, in Wisconsin, where he and his wife and daughter Mabel had gone Wednesday of last week. His death occurred on Monday. He had not been enjoying good health for over a year.
Mr. McMichael was one of the early settlers of Lincoln township, was a retired farmer and one of the wealthiest citizens of Coin. Four of his five daughters are married. The deceased was held in high esteem by all his acquaintances. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Jun 18, 1914          


McMichael, Edwin J. -

Edwin J. McMichael was born October 1st, 1869, on the farm where he has always resided, being at the time of his death 39 years, 4 months and 24 days old. He was the youngest of a family of seven, the father, mother, two brothers and two sisters having gone before.
He was married to Sophia Baetka April 7, 1901. One daughter, little Edith, was given to bless this union, who with his loving companion mourn the loss of a tender, devoted husband and kind, indulgent father; one brother and sister and one half sister mourn the loss of a brother that was loving, truthful, upright, kind and true; whose life was an example of honesty, cheerfulness and truthfulness, always lending a willing hand and cheering smile in time of trouble. For over two years he struggled with the fatal foe, never murmuring but patiently waiting the summons that he knew from the first awaited him. He leaves many relatives and a host of friends who mourn his departure. We will miss thee from our home, dear;
We will miss thee from thy place. A shadow o'er our life is cast
We'll miss the sunshine of thy face.
We'll miss thy kind and willing hand,
Thy fond and earnest care. Our home is dark without thee,
We miss thee everywhere. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Apr 1, 1909


McMichael, George W. -

Geo. W. McMichael, who was accidently shot in the head several weeks ago, and who lingered along between life and death in mortal agony following the sad affair, died Friday evening at 6 o'clock, Dec. 7, 1900, aged 44 years, 8 months and 23 days. The funeral took place from the home at one o'clock Sunday, conducted by Revs. Dodds and Lowry, and his remains interred in the city cemetery. The sad circumstances of the going out of this young life should be a warning to all about the careless handling of firearms. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Dec 13, 1900

George W. McMichael, who has lingered since September 14 with the sword of death hanging by a very slender thread over him succumbed to the dread conqueror last Friday evening at six o'clock, after several days of partial  unconsciousness resulting from an attempt by his physicians to find the bullet that entered his brain on the date named above.  Our readers will remember the circumstances of the awful accident on that day in September.  George and his partner, C. C. Claytor, had bought a pistol from a Nebraska man at their store just north of the Linderman hotel Mr  Claytor bandied the revolver without knowing that the man had thoughtlessly loaded it just before he sold it, and the trigger was accidentally snapped, the ball striking George on the left side of the head and penetrating his brain. He fell bleeding profusely,  but was quickly taken care of by medical aid, and seemed to feel little ill effect from the wound at first   He failed to rally, however, as the days went by, and a slight jolt a few days ago threw him into convulsions from pain. Then it was that he called in the surgeons to probe for the bullet and remove it at whatever cost.  They failed to find it, but succeeded in removing some particles of broken bone which had penetrated his brain.  It was thought that this would relieve the patient if he would succeed in rallying, but this he never did.  He slowly but surely sank, and on Friday night the last lingering spark of life went put, leaving mourning a loving wife and two sons, besides a host of relatives and friends. It seems cruel that an innocent accident
should cut off a life in its prime of, usefulness and enjoyment, but the ways of providence are not always
disclosed to man.  The deceased was 44 years, 10 months, and 3 days old at the time of his death.  He was born in Crawford County, Ohio, to Mr. and Mrs. S. F. McMichael.   When but three months old, he accompanied them to Iowa, and has made his home ever since on the well known farm north of town, until last February, when he moved to town, and in September, only a few days before the accident, he formed a partnership in the second hand store.  It was on October 12,1879, that George married Emma S. Pendergraft.   They have lived a happy life together, and two sons, Glenn and Elmer, have come to bless their home.  Now  the home union is destroyed by the terrible tragedy, for which no one is to blame. But the family remaining do not mourn without hope, for George was a faithful member of the United Presbyterian church at Hepburn, and was always an upright, conscientious, and energetic man in his business and social relations.   He made friends with all whom he met, and no one could be more widely mourned in his circle of acquaintances than he.  Besides his immediate family,   Mr. McMichael
leaves two brothers and a sister. Funeral services were held from his late home in north Clarinda on last Sunday afternoon at one o'clock, conducted by Rev. Dodds, of Hepburn, who was former pastor of the deceased. Rev. Lowry assisted in the services, and the body was laid to rest in the Clarinda cemetery.    CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Dec 11, 1900

McMichael, Samuel, Mrs - Mrs. Samuel McMichael died at her home four miles north of Clarinda Monday morning, March 27, 1899, at the advanced age of 69 years and 8 months. Mother McMichael had been a resident of this county for many years and was highly respected by all who knew her. For several months past she had been a great sufferer from a complication of diseases but she bore her affliction with the fortitude of a true Christian. The funeral took place at the home yesterday at 10:30, conducted by Rev. T. C. Smith and her remains interred in the city cemetery. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Mar 30, 1899


McMichael, Sarah - Coin.-- March 27.--Mrs Sarah McMichael died at her home, here, on Thursday, after a short illness of scarcely a week. She had a stroke of paralysis on Monday, from which she never fully, gained consciousness and gradually grew weaker until the end came at about 7 p.m. the following
Thursday. She was aged 57 years, and her husband, Roy McMichael, preceded her in death about three years ago, dying while on a visit to a daughter who was at Trempelean, Wis. Mrs. McMichael leaves five daughters and four brothers and three sisters besides many relatives and friends to mourn the loss of
a devoted mother, a faithful friend and a kind and always helping neighbor. Her daughters are Mrs. John Shaw, Mrs. Maude Henderson, Mrs. Roy Delk and Mrs. Mable Millen of Coin and Mrs. Gertrude Utter of Westboro who was unable to be present at the bedside or funeral of her mother on account of illness. The funeral was held at her home on Saturday at 3 p.m., conducted by Rev. Mr. Rink, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church of which church she had been a member since her girlhood. CLARINDA JOURNAL, Clarinda, Iowa, Mar 29, 1917


McMillen, Leonard -

We have received the following for publication concerning Leonard McMillen, who formerly lived in the southeast part of this county and who was killed at Chillicothe, Mo., recently, when an auto in which he and some other young men were riding, was struck by a freight car which was being switched.
The delay of the railroads in putting the Ryan street viaduct in condition for travel, cost the life of Leonard McMiilen, twenty-five years old, at the Elm street crossing at 8:30 Saturday night.
McMillen, in company with Fred Botts, N. C. Hopson, L. E. Brown and J. O. Dragoo, all of Meadville, were en route to Chillicothe to attend the regular weekly dance held in Piper hall on Saturday night. The young men were entering the city from the south and drove up to the Ryan street viaduct to cross, when they discovered the structure was nailed up. Fred Botts, who was driving a Buick machine, turned west and went to the Elm street crossing. As the machine shot into Liberia street, near the Gladieux & Schmaltz beer depot, Botts threw the clutch into the slow gear until they saw the track was clear, when he then put up the clutch into the intermediate and started across the track. Just as the automobile was on the track, four freight cars, which were being switched from the west on the stock track, bore down on them and struck the automobile. The force of the compact drove the door on the west side of the automobile in, pinioning McMillen in the car, being unable to extricate himself. He was removed from the wreckage seventy feet east of the crossing when the box cars were stopped. As the train hit the automobile, Botts, who was on the east side of the automobile, climbed onto the seat and caught hold of the brake rod of the freight car and pulled himself clear of the automobile, where he clung until the cars came to a stop. Hopson, who was in the rear seat of the automobile, jumped, but Brown and Dragoo were throwrr to the ground, Dragoo sustaining a severe scalp wound behind the right ear and was otherwise injured. While Officer George Perryman and others were re­moving McMiilen from the shattered remains of the auto, Hopson and Brown carried Dragoo into the room at the Burlington depot and Drs. R. Barney and A. J. Simpson summoned. They gave the injured men temporary treatment and ordered them taken to St. Mary's hospital, where McMillen died at [--] o'clock.
At the first examination of McMillen's injuries, the physicians did not think him dangerously hurt. After he had been at the hospital a short time it was ascertained he was badly hurt and his parents summoned. Mrs. McMillen and son and daughter, Stella and Clarence, arrived at the hospital a few minutes before the injured man died, but he had lapsed into unconsciousness, and did not recognize them.
It is the belief of the attending physicians that McMiilen died from the nervous shock. He had one bad injury on the right side, near the abdomen. This was considered the most serious of the injuries he received, the others being bruises about the left hip and leg.
Besides his parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. D. McMillen, the following brothers and sisters survive: Harvey, Kansas City; Archie, Seattle, Wash.; Clarence, Merrill, Guy and Misses Stella and Hazel.
Leonard McMillen was a model young man of sterling character. He attended the local High School a few years ago and also attended the Gem City College at Quincy. While a student in this city he was a favorite among his classmates and was always ready and willing to be of service to his friends. In late years he had developed business traits remarkable for a young man of his age. He had shown himself to be an able and honest stock buyer and raiser, and he would have undoubtedly been a power in local business circles within a few years. He will be sadly missed by his many friends. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Jan 9, 1913


McMullin, William Albert -

The death angel has been in our community the past   week taking from our midst our esteemed neighbor and friend.
William Albert McMullin was born in Hunting county, Pa. He died at his home near Siam, Taylor county, Iowa, on Monday evening at about 11 o'clock, February 21, 1910 at the age of 53 years, 7 months and 1 day. The funeral services were held at the Christian church in Siam conducted by Rev. Roy Snodgrass, and burial was at Old Memory cemetery near New Market.
Mr. McMullin was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Noah McMullin, and at the age of ten years he came with his parents to Iowa and has been a resident of Page county until about three years ago when he moved with his family to Taylor county. In the year 1882 he was married to Miss Emma Epperson, and to this union were born five children, one dying in infancy, two sons and two daughters, with the wife and mother survive him; also an aged mother, two brothers and two sisters as follows; Robert McMullen, of Braddyville, S. J. McMullin, of Thomas, Okla., Emma Dunham, of Braddyvllle and Ella McCowen, of Clarinda. "The voice we loved is stilled; A place is vacant in our home Which never can be filled." CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Mar 3, 1910


McNay, Harlman G. -

At the age of 69 years and 9 months a man who had been a merchant in Clarinda for about twenty-eight years, Harlman G. McNay, died at the Kennelworth hospital in this city, Sunday morning at 3:30 o'clock, Jan. 25, 1920. The cause of his death was diabetes. He probably had not been in really good health for some years, although active and apparently well.  Near the middle of last   December   he was seized with illness which caused him to go to the   Kennelworth hospital, where he was reported as having a light attack of pneumonia.   Later his condition was improved so that he left the hospital and went to the Henshaw Hotel to live, but he found in a short time that he needed hospital care, so returned to the Kennelworth.   In the grip of an ailment unconquerable when he went back to the hospital he lingered along, self reliant and brave, declaring time after time   that he would be up and again conducting his business.  Even the day before his demise he spoke of his business affairs, and said that he would be up and running his store in four or five days. At times he spoke of expecting to go to a milder climate, taking there his stock of goods he had here, and adding to it. Toward the last, some who felt it their duty to give him intimation of his serious condition, did so, as gently as they could, and he paid some attention to what was said in that direction, enough so that   he finally intimated that he wished to be buried at Greenfield, beside his sister. Aside from this he had very little to say concerning what all others who saw him realized probably could not   be   far away. About twenty-eight years ago Mr. McNay, with small capital, started a store on the north side of the square— a store of the kind commonly spoken of as a Racket store, but which name in later years he rejected, changing it to Variety store.   He gave his business close attention and was successful. He carried a great variety of articles, not usually found in other stores, sold them at a low price, and had a popular trading point. He had his own peculiar way of doing business, and had a mind of his own as to what he wanted to do, but always was straight and honorable in his transactions. Any one who had business with him could not help but he impressed   by his genuine sincerity, his candor and his honesty.   He wished to   meet every obligation of his fully and promptly. He did a cash business—paid cash for what he bought.and exacted it for what he sold.   It was his nature to lead a retiring life; he was much alone in the world; lived much by himself; interfered with nothing that did not concern him; denied   himself pleasures that he easily might have had, but which, probably, he did not care for. He was possessed of much knowledge; had a   surprisingly   complete store house of useful information, gained mostly by experience, and while he was not apt to go out to talk with others, those who called at his place of business, when he had time for conversation, would find him an easy and fluent talker.   He was very careful in his talk, too, not to offend; and also he was very sensitive.   If things were said which hurt him, they wounded him much.   Of these,   however, he would very seldom speak.  To the general observer he was chiefly of a business turn, self reliant and cheerful. What he could accomplish by his own efforts,   with   little   material, and against odds, was remarkable. He was gifted with great initiative in the manner of preparing for and arranging a stock of goods; was really a wonder for making the most out of his resources. The last few years he was in business he seemed to be tired of it, and yet too infatuated with it to relinquish it altogether. He seemed to want to rest, but not ready to retire from trade. He restricted the hours when his store was open, and often had his store closed when he easily could have sold goods had the door not been locked. Rest came to him at last! While he was in business he occasionally moved his location—at one time he had a double store on the south side of the square, where the Donhowe and Christies stores now are. At another time he was on the east side of the square. His last location was in The Clarinda Journal building at the southeast corner of the square. The 1st of December he gave notice that he would remain in the building only that month, but before the month was half over he was unable to give the attention to his business that he had planned, and relinquished the room to another tenant, the Walker Furniture company. He was very appreciative of any courtesy done him, and at the hospital was regarded as a model patient, not forgetting in his suffering and affliction to express himself politely and, thankfully for whatever service was rendered him. So careful was he to avoid anxiety or inconvenience to others that he objected to any of his relatives being notified of his illness, his expressed idea being that after he had recovered he would write. Dr. D. H. Killingsworth finally took it upon himself to notify Mr. McNay's brother, R. B. McNay, of Gove, Kans., and the brother came immediately, arriving here Wednesday of last week. The late Mr. McNay was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert McNay. His mother's maiden name was Margaret Smith. All three were born in Pennsylvania. A brother and sister preceded H. G. McNay to the grave, one of them leaving one child and the other four children. The brother and these children are the heirs to his estate. A short funeral service was held for the late Mr. McNay Sunday afternoon at 4 o'clock, conducted by Dr. W. C. Williamson, pastor of the United Presbyterian church, at the undertaking rooms of C. H. Oates, and the remains were taken to Greenfield, Monday noon, over the Burlington Route, for burial, where they were deposited, the, brother a lonely mourner, and interment was beside the grave of the departed sister, at the old home town where the McNay family once resided. CLARINDA JOURNAL, Clarinda, Iowa, Jan 29, 1920

McNay's Variety Store will appear no longer in Clarinda. For its proprietor, H. G. McNay, passed away Sunday, Jan. 25th, in the Kennelworth hospital, where he had been taking treatments for some time, in the hopes of recovering from the malady,diabetis, with complications, which had fastened upon him.
Short funeral services were held Sunday afternoon, at 4 o'clock, at the Oates Undertaking parlors, conducted by Rev. W. C. Williamson, the United Presbyterian pastor here who knew Mr. McNay as a young man in Washington, Iowa, and baptised him there and took him into the church, at the age of 18. On Monday the remains were taken to Greenfield, la.,  to he  laid  in the Greenfield cemetery, beside the grave of his sister, Ruth, this being the request of the deceased. His brother R. B. McNay came from Gove, Kans. three days before his death, being here at the time of his taking away and accompanied the remains to the final resting place in Greenfield.
Born April 24th, 1850, in Pennsylvania, Hartman G. McNay was thus 69 years, 9 months and 1 day day of age at time of death. The family came to Washington, Iowa, where they engaged in farming, deceased thus being a farmer in his younger days. For many years he has been in the mercantile business in Clarinda, first at one location, then at another, always conducting it in the same way, which was McNay's way. His store corresponded to his singular personage, always cheerful with those whom he met, honest and saving to a fault, but rarely going outside of his store except to meals, living in the basement of the store when not engaged in business on the first floor. It was one of his peculiar customs not to have any electric light in the store, which was closed early in the winter time, and stayed open later in the summer time, corresponding to daylight and darkness. He carried about the same line of goods year in and year out, doing a cash business, with only one clerk, or two at most, and part of the time conducting business alone by himself. Located in three different buildings, between each location he took a vacation, by packing his goods and leaving for perhaps a year at a time, coming back each time to rent a new place, get his goods out once more on display, and resume business in the same old way. One year he spent in Wisconsin, working at the trade of a carpenter, for which he had a liking. Coming back to Clarinda, he told his friends that he felt like a new man.
While he may have seemed lonely to those who did not know him, he was not lonesome, it was simply H. G. McNay's way of living. Except in a business way,  he preferred to live apart from mankind, forming but few attachments, always walking his own individual pathway, and permitting others to do the same. To the newspaper people who weekly visited his store for "news and ads", he was uniformly cheerful and talkative, speaking of the news he had read in the papers of current events and showing an interest in same, but rarely referring to himself personally, or giving a glimpse of his past history. He had accumulated a competence, having a valuable stock of goods known as "McNay's Variety Store", in which he took great pride even to the arrangement of the display in the showcases and show windows, but having but few business or social dealings with people outside of his store. He was strictly honest, carried honest goods for which he paid cash and extracted cash in   return;    never   trying to take advantage of anyone, and thus lived alone, keeping away from complications of business, society, or church affliations. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Jan 29, 1920

H. G. McNay died at the Kennelworth hospital Sunday, and funeral services were held Monday afternoon at the Oates Undertaking parlors, after which the body was shipped to Greenfield, for interment, beside a sister buried there, as this had been requested by Mr. McNay before his death.   R. B. McNay, of Gove, Kan., arrived here Wednesday and accompanied the body to Greenfield. Deceased had no relatives living here and his stock of goods was put in storage when his illness compelled him to close the Variety store he had been running in the Clarinda Journal building.   Death was from pneumonia. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Jan 29, 1920

H. G. McNay, for many years a business man in Clarinda, died at the Kennelworth hospital, from pneumonia. Short funeral services were held at the Oates Undertaking parlors at 4 p. m. after which the body was shipped to Greenfield, Iowa. Mr. McNay joined the United Presbyterian church at Washington, Iowa, forty years ago when Dr. W. C. Williamson was pastor there. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Jan 29, 1920


McNay, J.S. -

H. G. McNay received a telegram from Lincoln, Neb., Friday, bearing the sad news of the death of his brother, Dr. J. S. McNay, the evening before, and left for that place on the first train. Dr. McNay had been in poor health for some time from an ailment that had baffled the physicians, which finally developed into the impoverishment of the blood, and for the last few weeks he was a great sufferer. He was in the 57th year of his age. For the past twenty-five years he had been a dentist in that city, and very popular among the people as a dentist and man. He leaves a wife to mourn the loss of a loving husband. The funeral was held Sunday afternoon in the presence of a large congregation. The floral offerings were exceedingly liberal. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Nov 11, 1909


McNeal, Beatrice Marie -

The three months' old baby of Mr. and Mrs. Harvey McNeal was found dead in bed about 6 o'clock yesterday morning. The baby was seemingly all right at 2 a.m. It is thought heart failure was the cause of the child's death. The funeral is at 2 o'clock this afternoon. Burial is in the Clarinda cemetery.

CLARINDA JOURNAL, Clarinda, Iowa, May 2, 1918

On Thursday, May 2nd, was held the funeral of the three months old baby of Mr. and Mrs. Harvey McNeal, the funeral being conducted by Rev. R. B. Manley of the A. M. E. church. The baby's name was Beatrice Marie McNeal. Death is believed to have resulted from heart failure, the baby having been found dead in the morning of May 1st when the family awoke. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, May 9, 1918


McNeal, James -

The funeral of James McNeal was held at the family home on Monday, July 28th, conducted by the United Brethren pastor. Rev. O. L. Bebb, interment being beside his parents in Villisca cemetery. The surviving relatives include two children, Frank McNeal, residing near Hepburn, and Mrs. Maud Trout, who lives on a farm near High River, Alberta, Canada, besides nine grandchildren, a brother, Charles McNeal of Villisca, and two sisters, Mrs. Mary E. Moore living on a farm seven miles southeast of Villisca, and Mrs. Lib Dyke living on a farm near Hepburn. James McNeal was among the earliest settlers of Page County, moving here in 1863, and occupying ever since the same home. He was born Dec. 30, 1847, departing this life July 26th. 1919, at the age of nearly seventy-two years.    He was united [clipping cut off] CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Aug 7, 1919

James McNeal died at his home five miles northwest of Hepburn in Douglas township, Saturday, July 26, 1919.
The funeral services were held at his home Monday, conducted by Bebb, pastor of the Rose Hill cburch.
Burial was in Villisca cemetery. The late Mr McNeal was 71 years 6 months and 26 days   He leaves a wife and a son, Frank McNeal of this vicinity and a daughter, Mrs. Maud Proute of High River, Canada.   The late Mr. McNeal had lived over fifty years upon the farm where he died. CLARINDA JOURNAL, Clarinda, Iowa, Aug 7, 1919



McNerney, Alex -

Farmer Loses Life in Barn Fire
Special to The Democrat
Word reaches us at the time of going to press that the large barn of Alex McNerney, living near Coin, was burned to the ground at 7:30 Monday evening. While Mr. McNerney was trying to extinguish the flames his clothing caught fire and he ran to the creek nearby to try to put out these flames and it was there near the creek they found his body Tuesday morning. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Jan 4, 1916


Alex. McNerney Near Coin is Fatally Burned When Barn Burns, Then Shoots Himself.
Alec McNerney, a farmer living three miles east of Coin, was found dead Tuesday morning, near a creek which runs close to his barn, after an all night hunt through the ruins of the barn which had burned to the ground Monday evening. The circumstances leading up to the burning of the barn and cause of his death throw no light on the affair. Mr. McNerney had done his chores earlier in the evening, and after eating his supper had gone to the phone and called his brother, Stuart who lived a short distance, asking him to come over. His brother arrived in a short time, but he gave no reason as to why he had sent for him. He got up shortly and lighting a lantern went to the barn. After he had been gone about ten minutes they noticed a light on the window, but thinking it the light from an auto paid no attention to it, till it became so bright they went to the door to find the cause, and found that the barn was a mass of flames. His brother ran to the barn, and not seeing Alex, began calling his name but received no answer. Neighbors arrived and a search through the ruins of the barn commenced, but the body was not found till daylight Tuesday morning, some distance from the barn, on the bank of a creek which runs close to the barn lots. Examination of the body, which was badly burned, showed a bullet hole through the head, passing through the brain, caused from a forty-five caliber revolver which was found by his side. He was traced from the barn by pieces of burned clothing and buttons which had dropped from his clothing while going to the creek. It was found that he had carried this revolver in a holster next to his person for some time, letting no one know of its existence. He was about 54 years of age, and had lived a very secluded life, seldom leaving the farm. He had always made his home with his mother.
The verdict of coroners jury was that death had been caused by his own hand after being severely if not fatally burned. No cause for it is known, and as to whether the barn was set on fire or whether it was started accidentally by the lantern, will never he known. His death was a great shock to his relatives and friends, especially his mother who is 80 years of age and in very poor health. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Jan 6, 1916

Tragic Death of Alex McNerney in Fire When Barn Is Destroyed.
Alex McNerney, who lived three miles east of Coin, was burned to death when his barn burned Monday night, Jan. 4, 1916. The barn was discovered to be on fire about 8 o'clock Monday night, and was destroyed. As Mr. McNerney could not be found it was supposed that he was buried in the burning ruins of the barn, but Tuesday morning his dead body was found near a creek about twenty rods from the barn, his clothes partially burned off.  
How the fire started or how Mr. McNerney met his death is unknown— possibly never will be known. People well acquainted with him say he was extremely careful in regard to fire.
Mr. McNerney was unmarried and made his hnme with his aged mother, who is in feeble health and it is feared that the shock of her son's tragic death may prove serious to her.

Later developments are to the effect that when Mr. McNerney's body was found a revolver holster was strapped on and a 45-calibre revolver lay by his side. Two cartidges were in the revolver, one of which had been recently fired, and there was a bullet hole through Mr. McNerney's head and powder marks on his face. Coroner F. H. Clark after an investigation pronounced it a case of suicide. CLARINDA JOURNAL, Clarinda, Iowa, Jan 6, 1916

McNerney, H.H. -

H. H. McNerney died at his home near Coin February 8th, and was buried February 10th. He was born near Ballantoy, County Antrim, Ireland, March 31, 1824, being therefore nearly 86 years of age. He came to America in 1855. Was married in Philadelphia Dec. 26, 1859, to Miss Margaret Crawford, who survives him. To them were born eight children, four boys and four girls: Mrs. Steve Gillihan and Mrs. Lincoln Monzingo of Coin, Mrs. Harvey Moncrieff of Shenandoah, and Mrs. Robert Henry, who died six years ago; Alexander, James, Stewart and Robert, all of Coin. He was one of a family of ten children. Only one sister, Mrs. Wm. Carener, of Conway, who survives him. He came to Page county the 8th of March, 1869, where he resided until his death. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Feb 17, 1910


McNutt, Alexander
For sixty seven years a resident of Page County, a farmer, and never married, Alexander McNutt passed away at the home of his nephew, George Stephens, June 2nd, at the age of past 82 years. He was born
Feb  5   1839, coming to Page County when fifteen years of age, and has resided here continuously ever
since.  For the past three years he has   lived   with   his   nephew. He leaves two brothers and three sisters living,   Enos McNutt of Page Center,   Jesse of   Yorktown, Mrs. Mary Leaky of Burlington Jct., and
Mrs. Anna Winger and Mrs. Phoebe Winger,  both  of Clarinda, besides seven brothers and two sisters who passed away before him. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Jun 9, 1921


McNutt, Helen - Little Helen McNutt, the infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wesley McNutt living three miles west of New Market, died Sunday and was buried this afternoon at the Yorktown cemetery. This was a very sad death, the bright little girl being the pet of father and mother and it seems very hard that this happy little life should be taken away just when the hopes of parents and friends were the fondest and when the little life seemed growing toward a pleasant childhood and useful afterlife. Only the Father who doeth all things well understands the mystery of death and to Him alone can the bereaved parents look for that comfort which can heal the deepest wound. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Sep 26, 1905


McNutt, John - John McNutt died Saturday at his home east of Shambaugh. He was about 75 years of age, and among the first settlers of this county. He leaves a host of relatives and many friends to mourn his death. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Dec 29, 1904


McNutt, Lavinia Jane -

Lavinia Jane McNutt was born in Ohio, April 28th, 1839, and died at the home of her son-in-law, Joe Galberth, eight miles southeast of Clarinda, on Friday, March 22d, 1912, aged 72 years, 11 months and 24 days. The funeral was held Sunday at 10:30, conducted by the M. E. pastor at New Market. Interment to the Old Memory cemetery. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Mar 28, 1912

Henry McNutt of Superior, Neb., was called home last week by the sickness and death of his mother, Mrs John McNutt of East River township, who passed away last Friday. Henry was in the city Monday on his way home. He said the winter out there had been the most severe in years, with no let up at the time of his departure.

PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Mar 28, 1912

Mrs. Lonna Jane McNutt, wife of the late John McNutt, died Friday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Joseph Galbreath in East River township, aged 72 years, 10 months and 24 days. She had been suffering a long time from injuries received by a fall several months ago but heart trouble was the immediate cause of her death. Mrs. McNutt was born in Dark county, Ohio and with her husband came to this county in 1855. She was the mother of nine children seven of whom survive her. A good old pioneer has passed away. The funeral was held Sunday at 9 o'clock a. m. from her late home and interment in the Old Memory cemetery by the side of her husband. The family desire to return their sincere thanks for the assistance and kindness during her sickness and death by friends.

PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Mar 28, 1912





McNutt, Maude -

Miss Maude McNutt died at the home of her brother-in-law and sister Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Myers, north of Page Center, Tuesday evening, after a brief illness from pneumonia. Miss McNutt was 16 years, 9 months and 19 days old at the time of her death.
Her untimely death is mourned by a wide circle of friends who extend sincere sympathy to the bereaved father and family. The funeral services were held at the Page Center Methodist church yesterday afternoon at 1:30, conducted by Rev. J. W. Abel, of this city, and the body was laid to rest at the Covenanter cemetery. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Feb 7, 1908

Miss Maude McNutt Died Feb 4, 1908, at the home of her sister, Mrs. Louise Meyer, near Page Center, after a short illness from the grippe followed by pneumonia, aged 16 years, 8 months and 18 days. She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Enos McNutt and a bright and aimable young lady. Her mother died when she was nine months old. She leaves a father and five sisters. Mrs. Eva Meyer, Mrs. Hattie Meyer, Mrs. Melvina Beezley, Mrs. Jannie Hipsley and Miss Ora McNutt, and three brothers, Jas. McNutt, John McNutt and Isaac McNutt to mourn her untimely death. The funeral held at 1 p. m. today at the Page Center M. E. church, conducted by Rev. Abel, and interment at the Covenanter cemetery. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Feb 6, 1908



McNutt, S.A.'s INFANT -

The sixteen days old baby boy of Mr. and Mrs. S. A. McNutt died last Tuesday of lung fever. The case is a particularly sad one being the third time the parents have been called upon to mourn the loss of an only child. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Jan 30, 1906


McNutt, Tobias -

Tobias McNutt, son of Eli and Eve McNutt, was born Oct. 12, 1833, near Dayton, Dark county, O.   He was the second son of a family of fourteen. Five brothers and two sisters have preceded the deceased to the great beyond. The brothers and sisters living are: Alexander, William, Enus, Jesse, Mrs Mary Leaky, Mrs Anna Winger and Mrs Phoebe Baker. The deceased came to Page county, Ia., with his parents on Oct 4, 1854, at the age of 21 years, making him one of the earliest Iowa pioneers. Since that date he lived on a farm near Clarinda until recent years which he spent in Yorktown and New Market. In March, 1856 he was united in marriage with Miss Rachel Chesnutt. The beloved wife and mother preceded her husband in death many years. To this union was born nine children: Miss Ida McNutt, Mrs Etta Steeves, S.A. McNutt and M.E. McNutt of New Market; Mrs Rosella Chaffin of Yorktown; G.W. McNutt of Clarinda; Mrs Sarah McMichael of Coin; Mrs Carrie Lobaugh of Washington, Kan., and Mrs Allie Lobaugh, who died in Dec 1910. The deceased leaves 22 grandchildren and 8 great-grandchildren. The deceased lived almost seventy years without knowing any personal illness, but his last years showed fast declining health. He passed away at his home in New Market, Saturday, Aug 26, 1916, at 11:23 pm. Funeral services were held from the home, conducted by Rev D.I. Hower. Interment was made in the Summit cemetery. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Sep 7, 1916




McNutt, Wilda - Died, April 16, 1910, Wilda McNutt, aged 2 months and 19 days.   The funeral was held at John McNutt's home, 7 miles northeast of Clarinda, Sunday, April 17, at 2 p. m., and from the text "Suffer little children, and forbid them not,   to come unto me, for of such is the Kingdom of Heaven. "-Matthew '.9:4, H. A Carlton officiating. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Feb 25, 1909


McNutt, William Sen -

William McNutt Sen., died at the home of his nephew, William T. Winger, in Harlan township, Saturday, July 3, 1920. Mr. McNutt was 79 years of age Nov. 25, 1919. He had lived in the vicinity of Yorktown about forty years. He was unmarried. The funeral was held at the Methodist Episcopal church in Yorktown, Monday, at 3 p.m., conducted by the Rev. Clarence Moore. CLARINDA JOURNAL, Clarinda, Iowa, Jul 8, 1920 [scrapbook page N3]

William McNutt passed away July 3rd, at the home of his nephew William Winger, southwest of Clarinda. at the ripe age of 79 years, 7 months and 8 days, having been born Nov. 25th, 1840, in Ohio. The funeral services were held on Monday, July 5th, with interment in Polsley Cemetary near Yorktown. He was never married. He is survived by three sisters and three brothers, Mrs. Annie Winger and Mrs. Seba Baker of
Clarinda, Mrs. Mary Lakey of near Burlington Jct., Mo., and Enos, Alec and Jess McNutt, all residing near Yorktown. Deceased was an old resident of Page County, having come and settled here when the country was one expanse of prairie grass.
He spent most of his life on farms near Yorktown, having retired recently from  active  farming operations. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Jul 8, 1920 [scrapbook page N3]


McPherrin, George F. -

On Friday, occured the death of Geo. F. McPherrin, at his home in Clarinda.    He was born December, 12, 1824, in Champaign county, Ohio, and with  his aged parents, removed to Knox county, when but a boy of 10 years old.   At the age of 27 years he married Miss  Eliza A. Cheery and they continued to reside in Knox county for about eight years, during which time, three children were born to them.   Having sold his farm he moved to Henry county, Illinois.
Two children were born to them during their residence of sixteen years in this county. They moved to Page county, Iowa, to a farm five miles southwest of Clarinda. Thirteen years ago, they moved to Clarinda where the family has since resided, The two youngest children have passed away. The three living are C. F. McPherrin, of Clarinda, J. A. McPherrin of Tecumseh. Neb., and Mrs. N. B. Shultz, Farragut, la. With these, Mrs. McFerrin is left to mourn the loss of a kind and loving father. Mr. McPherrrin was reared by Christian parents in a home of eleven children, all of whom have passed away execpt one brother, who resides near Yorktown, la. Mr McPherrin joined the M. E. church when about thirty-five years of age and has endeavored to maintain his Christian life since that time. A number of times during his sickness he testified that he was at peace with his Maker and ready to go,, ,
On February 18, 1904, Mr. and Mrs. McPherrin, with their children and friends celebrated their fiftieth wedding anniversary , so that after firty-one years of companionship, Mrs. McPherrin is left alone. Her many friends deeply sympathize with her in these hours of loneliness and sorrow.

The funeral was conducted from the home at 2 p. m. February 3, by his pastor, the Rev. Fletcher Homan, after which his body was laid to rest in the Clarinda cemetery. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Feb 7, 1905

Mr. Geo. McPherrin died at his home in south Clarinda Wednesday forenoon, from Brights' Disease. He was 80 years of age. A good man has gone to his last resting place. The funeral will be held at 3pm tomorrow from the home, conducted by Rev. Homan. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Feb 2, 1905


McPherrin, Hannah E. Chesney Swartz -

Hannah E. McPherrin.
Hannah E. Chesney was born at Brownsville, Union county, Indiana, August 31, 1824, at which place most of her girlhood was spent. At the age of seventeen she moved with her parents to Abington, Ill., and it was there in 1842 she was married to Samuel D. Swartz. To this union were born four children, Thomas E., now of Blockton, Iowa, Abraham D., of Brawley, Calif., Ellen, who died in infancy, and Emma C, now Mrs. Frank White, of this city. She was again married on December 30, 1853, to John McPherrin at Abington,. Ill., where they continued to live until 1874, when Mr. McPherrin retired from active farm life and moved to this city, where they purchased and improved the property which has ever since been the family home. To this later union were born five children, Samuel Chesney, John Wesley, deceased, Lewis F., deceased, Mary Eliza, deceased, and Anna McPherrin Frazier, now of Los Angeles, Calif.
Mr. and Mrs. McPherrin having come here 34 years ago last fall, were leaders in church work in this city for many years, their names being very prominent in the history of the Methodist church, of which they were both conscientious and consistent members.
Mr. McPherrin died September 13th, 1893, and Mrs. McPherrin has been an invalid for more than 11 years. She has been a great sufferer, and gradually lost strength until her death, which came peacefully at 6 o'clock Sunday morning, February 9th, 1908, she being on that day 83 years, 5 months and 9 days old. She retained to a remarkable degree the possession of all her mental faculties, her memory being as clear and her mind as active as it was in her youth. She was a great reader and kept well informed of the events in the world about her, and though a great sufferer she remained cheerful until the last, and was loath to give up life and her children. She was the last of her own family, all her brothers and sisters having passed on before, the last of them having died 10 years ago.
Among those who will be at the funeral from a distance are Thomas E. Swartz of Blockton, Chesney McPherrin, of Kansas City, and her nephew, Henry Baker, of Rockport, Mo. Her granddaughter, Florence White, now teaching at Sidney, will be unable to be present at the funeral, as will also Miss Carroll White, who teaches in a department school at Sheridan, Wyo. The funeral will be held at the home
this afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. J. W. Abel conducting the services. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Feb 11, 1908

Mrs Hannah E. McPherrin, wife of the late John McPherrin, died Sunday morning at her home in north Clarinda, after a long and painful illness from a complication of diseases incident to old age. For the past few years she had been bedfast but bore her affliction with the fortitude of a christian woman, under the careful attention of her daughter, Mrs. White.
Her age was 83 years, 5 months and 9 days, and for about 35 years had been a resident of this city. She was highly esteemed by all who knew her.
The funeral took place from the home Tuesday at 2 p. m. conducted by Rev. Abel. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Feb 13, 1908


McPherrin, Hugh -

John McPherrin received a telegram from Kansas City Monday night from her son, Chesney McPherrin, bearing the sad news of the death of his eldest son, Hugh McPherrin. The young man was little known here but the family resided in this city years ago. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Aug 23, 1906

Word was received in this city the first of the week of the death of Hugh McFerrin at Kansas City. The young man was well known here being the son of Chesney McFerrin and he was a young man of much promise. He was about twenty-five years of age and was to have been married this fall, so that the death is a particularly sad one. He graduated from Northwestern University, at Evanston, Ill., two years ago and has since been in business with his father in Kansas City. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Aug 24, 1906


McQueen, Cordelia Farley -

Cordelia Farley was born in eastern Ohio, August 19, 1837. Died at Hawleyville, Iowa, April 30, 1908, aged 70 years, 8 months, and 11 days. She was united in marriage to E. T. McQueen June 17, 1857, in Fulton county Illinois. To this union nine children were born, five sons and four daughters; of these, six survive her, three sons and three daughters. She came to Page county Iowa with her husband in October 1880, and has made her home in or near Hawleyville since that time. She was converted to God and dedicated her life and service to Jesus in the fall of 1873, uniting with the M. E. church, since which time she has never been moved from her hope in the gospel. In the closing months of her life there was much of physical pain and suffering but she endured as one who sees "Him who is invisibie." As the end of life drew near, she recognized that the time of her departure was at hand. Like Paul she was ready, having fought the good fight, finished her course, and kept the faith, she looked forward, full of assurance, that henceforth for her there was laid up a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge should give her in that day when he comes to make up his jewels.
The funeral services were held at the Hawleyville M. E. church, Sunday, May 3, at two o'clock, conducted by the writer.                 Willis A. Wells. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, May 8, 1908


McQueen, Erastus Terry -

Oct. 23—Erastus McQueen of Red Oak was brought here for burial last Sunday at 2 o'clock. His funeral sermon was preached at Red Oak. Rev. W. A. Wells offered prayer at the grave. Mr. McQueen had lived a long time at this place and moved to Shambaugh and then to Red Oak, where he died last Friday. Mr. and Mrs. Edd Hill and Mr. and Mrs. Will Hakes of Shambaugh came to the cemetery and also called on Mrs. E. L. Collier. CLARINDA JOURNAL, Clarinda, Iowa, Oct 25, 1917

Erastus Terry McQueen died at his home in Red Oak, Oct. 18, 1917, at the age of 83 years and 8 days. He was born in Annadago county, N. Y., Oct. 10, 1834. He was united in marriage to Clarice Cordelia Farley in Annadago county in 1859. To this union were born nine children: George and Grant, who live in Red Oak; Abraham, Shambaugh; Mrs. Nellie Spunagle, near Bonsal, Calif.; Mrs. Lily Hendrickson, Abbott, Colo.; Mrs. Adell Wolfe, near Bosworth, Ma. The deceased is also survived by one sister, Mrs. Emma Mucky of Sharpsburg. One niece, Edna McQueen, of Red Oak, and one nephew, H. R. McQueen of Red Oak, also survive him.
Grandpa McQueen was a resident for about thirty years at Hawleyville, Iowa, and of Red Oak the past year. He will be greatly missed by all. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Oct 25, 1917

Word was received here Saturday of the death of Erastus Terry McQueen, at his home in Red Oak, Thursday, Oct. 18, 1917, after an illiness of two weeks with pneumonia. The funeral was Sunday afternoon at Hepburn. Mr. McQueen was born in Onondaga county, N. Y., Oct. 16, 1834. He married Clarice Cordelia Farley in that county in 1859. Nine children were born to Mr. and Mrs. McQueen of whom George and Grant live in Red Oak; Abraham, in Shambaugh; Mrs. Nellie Spunaugle, near Bonsall, Calif.; Mrs. Lilly Hendrickson, at Abbott, Colo., and Mrs. Adell Wolfe, near Bosworth, Mo. Mr. McQueen also is survived by a sister. Mrs. Emma Mucky of Sharpsburg. One niece, Edna McQueen, and a nephew, H. P. McQueen, both of Red Oak. The deceased lived about thirty years at Hawleyville, Page county. CLARINDA JOURNAL, Clarinda, Iowa, Oct 25, 1917

The community was saddened to hear Friday of the death of another of their old soldiers, Erastus McQueen, at his home in Red Oak. He had been sick two weeks with a severe cold and he went to sleep Thursday night and was called by the Great Commander during his sleep. A large crowd gathered at the cemetery Sunday afternoon to pay their respect to one who had lived among them during the greater part of his life. Sympathy is extended to the relatives in their bereavement. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Oct 25, 1917


McSperrin, John -

John McSperrin died last night at eleven o'clock at the home of his son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. A. C. Calhoun, in southwest Clarinda, aged 65 years, 6 months and 8 days. His death was very sudden, coming as the result of heart failure and complicated kidney trouble. He was a veteran of the Civil War.

Mr. McSperrin was born in Harrisville, Mercer county, Pa., November 20, 1842. His home of late had been in St. Joseph, Mo., until last September when he came here to live with his daughter. Because of his short time of residence here and his poor health he had not become very widely known in this city, but was an old and respected resident of St. Joseph. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, May 29, 1908

John McSperrin, who died Thursday night at the home of his daughter, Mrs. A. C. Calhoun, in this city, was taken to St.  Joseph, Mo., on the morning train Saturday and was buried Saturday afternoon at that city, which was for many years his home. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Jun 2, 1908


McSweeney, Eugene, Mrs [nee Rickey] - Mrs. Eugene McSweeney, of Saginaw, Mich., only daughter of the late Col. J. K. Rickey, died Tuesday, March 22, of peritonitis, result of an operation, leaving two children.   Her father passed away just eleven months since.  Her husband is editor of the Saginaw News. She was a lovely character, admired and loved by all who knew her. The news came as a great shock to her relatives here. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Mar 25, 1904


McVay, Emmanual -

Mr. E. McVay died Friday, July 26,1901, at his home in west Clarinda, aged 79 years, 7 months and 16 days. Mr. McVay was one of the old settlers of this county, having lived for years on a farm northeast of the city, until a few years ago he quit the farm life with his wife and removed to this city. He was an honorable and upright man in all the walks of life and highly respected by his numerous friends. He was born in Pickering county, Ohio, where his boyhood days were spent. Feb. 26, 1850, he was married to Miss Margaret Culcher, and for fifty years they journeyed on through life enjoying each others companionship. Four children were born to them, two of them still living here, Mrs. Chas. Oates and Miller McVay, who together with the aged wife mourn the death of husband and father. He was a member of the M. E. church and a devoted christian. The.funeral took place Sunday at 4 o'clock p. m. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Aug 1, 1901

Obituary Emmanual McVay was born Dec. 10, 1821, in Pickering county, Ohio. He died at Clarinda, la., July 26, 1901, aged 79 years, 7 months and 16 days.
Brother McVay was married to Miss Margaret L. Crelcher [sic] February 26, 1850. For over fifty-one years they were permitted to journey together. Four children were born to this union, two having preceded the father to the better life and two were present at the funeral with the companion of his youth to mourn.
Father McVay was a quiet, unassuming man and true in all of the relations of life. He was a good citizen, having the respect of all who knew him. He was a good husband and father and the memory of this is a comfort to the surviving wife and children. Father McVay was also a Christian. During a meeting held by Rev. Shafer, the pastor of the charge at that time, he gave his heart to God and his name to the M. E. church. During the years since that time he remained a constant and faithful member of the church of his choice and died trusting in Christ. He was a great sufferer during the last few weeks of his life but was very patient through it all. Finally death came to his relief and the pure, chastened spirit was permitted to pass out of suffering to his reward. Servant of God well done Thy glorious warfare's past; The battle's fought, the victory's won And thou art crowned at last.
Card of Thanks—We desire to thank our neighbors and friends for their kindnesses and sincere sympathy during our recent bereavement.
M. G. McVay, Sadie Oates, M. C. McVay. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Jul 30, 1901


McVay, Margaret Cretcher -

The following facts and tribute to the life of Mrs. Margaret L. McVay, were given to The Herald through the kindness of Rev. Wm. Stevenson, he reading a part of them at the services:
The earthly pilgrimage which closed in this home on Friday, May 3rd, began in the home of Nathan and Sarah Cretcher, near Urbana, Champaign county, Ohio, September 29th, 1823, when a daughter was born and named Margaret L. The length of the journed traveled, taking the years as milestones, was eighty-eight miles, seven furlongs, four rods.
There were events of great importance which helped to shape her life and the influence of which has been felt by all who have come in contact with her. In the sixteenth year she heard the call of the Master through the church and responded to it. Not only was her own life enriched by that decision, but the beauty of that act has left its impression, upon the world in which she lived and moved.
In her twenty seventh year at Lockport, Ohio, she was joined in marriage with Emmanuel McVay and for fifty-one years they walked side by side when he was called home.
Motherhood:—Four children came, to her heart and home, two passing on in childhood; two remain and with what loving care, kindness and helpfulness, these have guarded amd watched her as 'she passed down into the valley.
In 1865 the family came to Page county, settling in Clarinda. Their first home was in a small house on the lot now occupied by the parsonage of the United Presbyterian church, so in her quiet, declining days she could look upon the place where she spent the first night and weeks of her residence in this city.
Since the decease of her husband, she has made her home with her son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Oates. This son-in-law was dearly loved by this mother and in return she was loved by him as an own mother as she was also loved by the wife of the son, Miller.
Mrs. McVay was loved by everyone and that love was but the return of her own love to others. Her life was beautiful in its simplicity, harboring no thought of dislike or evil toward anyone. She certainly made it the supreme motive of her life to exemplify the teachings of the Master she loved and followed so closely.
How sweetly and peacefully she came down   to   the   close of the journey, not losing her interest in the things of this present life but giving prominence to those of the higher aind future life; chastened by sorrow, she sympathized with those who suffered. Her great mother-heart went out toward each and all and any who desired could find help and consolation in her kindly advice and sympathy.
This home is poorer for her departure, our community will feel her going and those who have taken counsel with her will most certainly feel the loss of a special friend.
The funeral services were held on Monday afternoon from the home of her son-in-law and daughter and were conducted by her pastor, Rev. William Stevenson, assisted by Dr. W. C. Williamson and Rev. Robert A, Cameron. The singing was by a quartet consisting of Messrs. Harry Jones, H. R. Spry, Misses Mabel Brown and Margaret Welch, with Lester Mllligan as accompanist.
The pall bearers were selected by Mrs. McVay and were M. R. Ansbach, C. Morris, C. L. Beech, C. A. Lisle, J. L. Brown, C. B. McDowell. Her body was laid beside that of her husband in our beautiful silent city to await the Resurrection morning.
Two children, Miller C., and his wife, Carrie McVay, Sadie, with her husband, C. H. Oates, and two grandchildren, Mrs. Ona Scroggs, with her husband, James G., and Edward, with other relatives and a host of friends, mourn her death, but do not Sorrow as those who have no hope." CLARINDA HERALD and PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, May 9, 1912



McVitty, Elizabeth Kerr-

Word was received in our city Saturday of the death of Mrs. Elizabeth McVitty at the Mercy hospital, Davenport, Iowa. Mrs. McVitty had been a resident of Clarinda for several years and had gone to Davenport for treatment and an operation from which she did not recover. Her body was taken to Alpha, Illinois where it was laid to rest by her mother. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Sep 14, 1916

Mrs. Elizabeth McVitty,   who was long a resident of Page county, and who in recent years has lived in Clarinda, died at Mercy Hospital, Davenport, la., Friday, Sept. 8, 1916. About the last of August Mrs. McVitty, with her nephew and neice, Mr. and Mrs. A. H. Linn of Cambridge, Ill., who had been visiting their aunt in Clarinda, left here in the Linn automobile for Des Moines where Mrs. McVitty was to consult a medical specialist. From Des Moines she went to Davenport, where she submitted to a surgical operation, Monday of last week, succeeding which she died at midnight the following Friday night.  Mrs. McVitty was highly respected here in her home city.   The announcement of her death came here both as a surprise and general sorrow.    From notes given to The Journal it is learned that her maiden name was   Ellen Elizabeth Kerr.   She was born near Alpha, Ill., March 1, 1857.   She was the daughter of Valentine and Catherine Kerr, the eldest of five children.   She was married to John McVitty, Jan. 3, 1876, and moved to Page county, la.   To their union were born two children, who, with her husband, father and mother have preceded her to the great beyond. She is survived by two sisters, two brothers, and ten neices and nephews. The funeral was held from the residence of her sister, Mrs. George Wilson, at Alpha, Ill., Rev. Mr. Smith of Sciota, Ill., officiating, assisted by Rev. Mr. Wood of Alpha. Interment was at the Summit Level cemetery. Relatives from a distance in attendance at the funeral were Mrs. S. D. Wilson of Kansas City, Mo.; Mr. and Mrs. George Kerr of Iola, Kan.; James Kerr of Trenton, Mo.; Mrs. Pearle Sullivan, wife of P. D. Sullivan, Clarinda, la.; Mr. and Mrs. A. H. Linn of Cambridge, Ill., and Mr. and Mrs. R. H. Streetor of New Windsor, Ill. CLARINDA JOURNAL, Clarinda, Iowa, Sep 14, 1916

Obituary—Mrs. Elizabeth McVitty.
Ellen Elizabeth Kerr was born, near Alpha, Ill., March 1st, 1857, and died at the Mercy Hospital, in Davenport, Iowa, Sept. 9th, 1916.
She was the daughter of Valentine and Catherine Kerr, and the eldest of five children. She was married to John McVitty, Jan. 3rd, 1876, and moved to Page county, Iowa. To this union two children were born who with her father, mother and husband have preceded her to the great beyond. She is survived by two sisters, two brothers and ten nieces and nephews.
The funeral was held from the residence of her sister, Mrs. George Wilson, of Alpha, Ill., conducted by Rev. Smith of Sciota, Ill., assisted by Rev. Wood, of the M. E. church, at Alpha. Interment was made in the Summit Level cemetery. The relatives in attendance from a distance were, Mrs. S. D. Wilson of Kansas City, Mr. Geo. Kerr of Iola, Kans., Mr. Jas. Kerr of Trenton, Mo., Mrs. Pearl Sullivan of Clarinda, Mr., and Mrs. A. H. Linn of Cambridge, Ill., and Mr. and Mrs. R. H. Streeter of New Windsor, Ill. Mrs. McVitty, during her long residence in this city made many friends who were grieved to hear of her sudden death. CLARINDA HERALD, Clarinda, Iowa, Sep 14, 1916




McVitty, John - John McVitty died early Saturday morning at his home northwest of the city. For years he had been afflicted with nervous trouble which rendered life a burden to him. He certainly deserves a peaceful rest in the unknown realms. The funeral took place Sunday afternoon. PAGE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Clarinda, Iowa, Nov 23, 1899