submitted by: Julia Johnson -


Clarinda Journal, Thursday, May 7, 1931, p. 5

Lewis Akin

The funeral of Lewis (“Luke”) Akin was held at 2:00 p. m. Saturday, from the Dr. C. C.  Parriott residence on W. Washington Street, Mr. Akin having passed away at his home in Excelsior Springs, Mo., after making the request that he be laid away in the family lot of Clarinda. Dr. D. J. Shenton conducted the services; music being furnished by Mr. and Mrs. Claude Annan and Mrs. Forrest Davison.

Years ago Mr. Akin was an active businessman in Clarinda, serving for six years as sheriff of Page County. After leaving Clarinda he was a citizen of Kellerton, Ia. several years, moving thence to Excelsior Springs, Mo. born Dec. 28th, 1844, he was married April 26th, 1868 to Parley Miller, who has preceded him to the better world. They had five children, two of them surviving him, the son, James N. and daughter Eva McCullough. In 1925 he was married to Mrs. Ida Young, who survives him. Mr. Akin was a veteran of the Civil War, marching under a flag which was made and presented to his company by Clarinda women, Mrs. Lambert Millhone, Mrs. Kimball and others, he being the last surviving member of the company who distinguished themselves in the civil conflict.


Clarinda Journal, Friday, October 4, 1895, [p. 1]

Mrs. Parlie S. Akin Dead

The Wife of the Sheriff Passes Away In This City

Death invaded the home of Lewis Akin in this city, Monday night, at 9 o’clock, and claimed the wife and mother, Mrs. Parlie S. Akin, who passed away a victim of consumption. She had been confined to her bed most of the time since last December. Last spring she was able to go to Omaha on a visit to her daughter, Mrs. Harrell, and for a time while there became much better, so that her husband thought she would have good health by going west, but she soon became worse and hastened home, where, despite all medical aid, and all that willing hands could do for her, prompted by loving hearts, she died, going to her reward, conscious to the last.

The late Mrs. Akin was one of those good women who make the world better by their living, who make the home circle a place of happiness, and leave behind them a continuous record of good deeds. She was born in Knox County, Tenn., July 25, 1845, and was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Miller. With her parents she came to Tarkio Township, Page County, Ia., in 1855. Her mother died in 1863, and her father was killed by an explosion at Brown’s mill, about two and one-half miles east of Clarinda, in March, 1868. April 26, 1868, she was married in this city to Lewis Akin, the present sheriff of Page County. One son of this union, William, died in 1876, at the age of 3 years. Four children survive, Mrs. Eva Harrell of Omaha, J. N. Akin of East River township, Daisy Dean, and Clyde L.[uther]. She also leaves the following brothers and sisters: Ruel C. Miller of Tarkio township, Mrs. S. H. Baker of Clarinda, J. [ohn] N. [ewton] Miller, cashier of the Page County bank, Clarinda, W. [illiam] B. [rownlow] Miller of Tarkio township, M. H. Miller of Tarkio township, and F. K. Miller, a half brother, of this city. All the relatives mentioned, except R. [uel] C. Miller, attended the funeral, he being prevented from it by illness.

The funeral was held Wednesday afternoon at 2 o’clock at the court house, and was very largely attended. The services were conducted by Reverends T. C. smith and E. W. McDade. “Nearer My God, to Thee,” was sung by Messrs. E. G. McCutchan, R. U. McClenahan, H. R. Spry and John Keener. Dr. Smith then read from the scriptures and offered prayer. “Asleep in Jesus” was then sung by the male quartet, when Mr. McDade spoke fittingly after which came brief and appropriate remarks by Dr. Smith, a prayer by Mr. McDade, and the song by the quartet, “It Is Well With My Soul.”

The pallbearers were County Treasurer O. H. Frink, County Recorder E. G. McCutchan, Clerk of the District Court T. W. Camp, County Attorney J. R. Good, County Auditor R. U. McClenahan, and Deputy County Auditor W. S. Jordan. During the funeral there was crape on the doors of the offices in the courthouse as a tribute of respect and sympathy from the county officials to their mourning fellow officer, Sheriff Akin.

At the ceremony, after the remains were lowered in the grave, Dr. Smith offered prayer and Mr. McDade pronounced the benediction.


Clarinda Journal, Friday, January 14, 1898, p. 8

Paul A. Akin, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. William Akin, jr., died Monday evening at 8 o’clock in this city, age 6 months and 12 days. The funeral was held Wednesday at 3 p. m., at the house, conducted by Rev. L. R. Thomas, whose remarks were based on the tenth verse of the eighteenth chapter of Matthew.


Clarinda Journal, Friday, January 14, 1898, p. 8

A telegram received Tuesday in this city by Mrs. J. [ohn] A. Orth, informed her of the death of her mother, Mrs. Susan [Cromer] Alleman, widow of Jacob Alleman, at 10 o’clock that morning, near Mercersburg, Pa. The lady died of heart trouble. She was upwards of 80 years of age. Eight children survive, and all of them but Mrs. Orth live within a few miles of Mercersburg. The funeral of Mrs. Alleman was held yesterday. Mrs. Orth spent several months with her mother within the past year.


Clarinda Herald, Friday, October 28, 1898, p. 4


Mrs. Jessie Mosely Antill, wife of George M. Antill, died at her home in Omaha last Wednesday. Her body was brought to Clarinda for burial, the funeral occurring on Thursday at 2:30 p. m., conducted by Rev. White, at the home of the deceased woman’s parents, in south Clarinda. Mrs. Antill was but seventeen years of age, and before death she gave birth to a son, which is alive and doing well.


Clarinda Journal, Friday, October 28, 1898, [p. 1]

Died, at her home, 912 South Eleventh Street, Omaha, Neb., at 6:30 p. m., Tuesday, Oct. 25, 1898, Mrs. Jessie Maud Antill. She was born in Red Oak, Sept. 3, 1882, and was the fifth child of Mr. and Mrs. Sam Mosley, who now reside in this city. Miss Mosley was married to Mr. George Antill in September, 1896, who with a babe survive. The remains arrived in this city Wednesday afternoon and the funeral services were held yesterday afternoon at 2:30 at the home of her parents in the south part of the city conducted by Rev. C. H. White of the Christian church after which the remains were laid to rest in the Clarinda cemetery. The bereaved parents and husband have the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community in this their hour of sorrow.


Clarinda Journal, Thursday, November 4, 1915, p. 5


Nov. 2--- The relatives and many friends of Mrs. Mary Busher Armstrong, wife of Dave Armstrong, were very much saddened Thursday when they learned that she had passed away at 4:30. A little son was born in their home Monday, which was not alive, and although she was in a serious condition was thought to be getting along as well as she could be until Wednesday about midnight she grew worse and never rallied until death came. She was the oldest of five children of Mr. and Mrs. John Busher of Pawnee, Nebr.; was born and raised on a farm two miles south of town. She clerked at Coin, College Springs and Blanchard and was always well liked and highly respected. She was married to Dave Armstrong Dec. 31, 1913. She became a Christian at an early age and was a faithful member to the last. Funeral services were held at the home two and one-half miles southeast of Blanchard, Friday afternoon at 2 o’clock, conducted by Rev. Mr. Coleman, Reformed Presbyterian pastor. This was one of the largest funerals here in many years. Besides her parents and husband she leaves two sisters, Mrs. A. Douthit of this place, Mrs. C. Patterson of Hardy, Nebr.; two brothers, John and Dee Busher of Pawnee, Nebr., besides several relatives and many friends to mourn their loss. The floral remembrances were many and beautiful. Interment was in the Blanchard cemetery. The bereaved ones have the sympathy of the entire community.


Clarinda Journal, Friday, October 4, 1895, [p. 1]

Robert Barnhill, for some twenty-five or more years a resident of Page County, died last Sunday morning at 8 o’clock at his home in Lincoln township, four miles east of Coin. He had been ill for some time with a kidney complaint. A wife and four children survive him. The Journal is informed that he was born in Ireland. He was about 73 years of age. He was a good man, highly respected by his neighbors. The funeral was held Monday at College Springs, where he was buried.


Clarinda Journal, Friday, October 4, 1895, [p. 1]

Neva, the little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Brown, died of typhoid fever in this city at 5:45 p. m., Wednesday, age 6 months. The funeral was held yesterday afternoon, Will O. Hutchings officiating.



Clarinda Journal, Thursday, February 12, 1931, p. 7

Luther Wilson Buckminster

Son of Eugene and Rebecca Buckminster was born at Corning, Mo., December 25, 1900, and departed this life at the home of his mother at Braddyville, Ia., February 2, 1921, age 30 years, 1 month and 7 days.

He was reared in Corning, Mo., having graduated from the high school there in the year 1916, taking a post graduate course the following year.

He attended Tarkio College where he received his degree. During the last year of his college life, because of his work and exemplary habits he was chosen president of the student body.

His father preceding him in death in the year 1914. Luther united with the Christian church at Corning, Mo., in January 1919, under the pastorate of the Rev. Maxwell in which he has led a consistent Christian life since. He has resided in Braddyville for some four and a half years, being connected with the Schooler Bros. as manager of their store.

During a goodly portion of the past year he had been in failing health; went to the Mayo’s hospital at Rochester, Minn., where he underwent an operation, and from which he never fully recovered.

It can be truthfully said of Luther that he centered his thoughts and affections on his mother and brothers, always trying to lighten their burdens and give to them as nearly as possible a father’s service.

He had high ideals, was of an amiable disposition, scattering sunshine along the pathway of life, and no one who knew him has aught to say of him but something good for he tried to be a friend to all, and by his passing will be greatly missed in the communities in which he has lived.

His ambition up until the time of his demise was to regain his health that he might carry out plans he had made.

He leaves to mourn his departure, his widowed mother, Mrs. Rebecca Buckminster of Braddyville, Ia.; two brothers, Guy Buckminster of Corning, Mo., and Eugene Buckminster of Braddyville, Ia., one niece, one nephew, and a number of uncles, aunts and cousins besides a host of friends. His presence among us will be missed, there will be a vacant chair in the home, but we can hope that Heaven is made richer by his passing, in that our loss is Heaven’s gain.

May our gracious Heavenly Father shed His blessings upon the sad hearted mother and family of the deceased, and may they obtain comfort and consolation in the fact that while Luther cannot come back to them, they can go to him.

Funeral services were conducted from the Braddyville Christian church at ten o’clock Wednesday morning, conducted by Rev. W. Coffee, M. E. minister of Fairfax. Services were conducted at Corning, Mo., Wednesday afternoon at 2:30 by same minister. Burial at Corning. Music was furnished by the Braddyville male quartet.



Clarinda Herald Journal, Thursday, April 1, 1937, p. 5

Mrs. Sherman Burge

Mary Frances Shearer was born in Buchanan Township, Page County, Iowa, Aug. 28, 1867. There she grew to young womanhood. She was united in marriage to W. [illiam] Sherman Burge, March 6, 1890, and soon after with her husband moved to Clarinda, Ia., where they have since made their home. To them were born four children, a son Glenn who passed away in 1934, and three daughters, Mrs. J. O. Larsen of San Antonio, Tex, Mrs. Floyd McCutchan [McCutcheon], College Springs, Ia, and Helen Burge of Clarinda. She leaves also one brother, Dan Shearer of Omaha, Nebr, eleven grandchildren and other relatives.

After a long illness she passed away at her home, March 29, 1937, at the age of 70 years, 7 months and 1 day.

The funeral services were conducted by Rev. W. H. Meredith, pastor of the Methodist church, at her late residence at 723 south 15th street, Wednesday afternoon



Clarinda Herald Journal, Thursday, April 8, 1943, p. 4

William Sherman Burge

William Sherman Burge was born in Indiana County, Pennsylvania on Feb. 28, 1865, the son of William and Mary Burge, and passed away in Clarinda, Ia, March 23, 1943, age 78 years and 23 days.

At the age of 10 the family moved to Iowa and settled in Clarke County, where he grew to manhood.

On March 6, 1890, he was united in marriage to Mary Frances Shearer, and soon after they moved to Clarinda, where he has since made his home. To this union was born four children, a son, Glenn, who passed away in 1934, and three daughters, Mrs. Zelpha McCutcheon of College Springs, Mrs. J. O. Larsen of San Antonio, Tex, and Helen Burge of Clarinda. Mrs. Burge passed away March 29, 1937. He is also survived by 11 grandchildren and 6 great grandchildren, and many friends in and near Clarinda.

Funeral services were held from the Walker Funeral Home Thursday afternoon March 25, at 2:00 o’clock, conducted by Rev. H. O. Lietman. The casket bearers were Warren Richardson, Lon Swisher, Mart Rahn, Arthur Miller, H. E. Ward and Grover Hughes. Burial was in the Shearer cemetery.



Clarinda Herald, Wednesday, June 21, 1893, p. 5

Another Victim of Drowning

This morning, a little before 9 o’clock, in company with a number of other boys, Thomas Carver went to the river to bathe, the place selected being near the brick yard. Tom, as he is familiarly known, was not a good swimmer, and was keeping close to the shore, but suddenly slipped into a deep hole and sank from sight. The little boys who were with him say that his body did not come to the surface after he disappeared, and it is supposed that in his struggles he must have caught hold of willow roots, or something of the kind, and held on tightly, so as to prevent the usual rising to the surface. The alarm was quickly given to the men at the brickyard, and the search for the body made as rapidly as possible, but about half an hour passed before it could be located. When found it was in fifteen feet of water, and of course life was extinct. Medical aid was summoned and everything done that was possible to restore the body to life, without avail. The deceased’s parents live near the Q depot, and keep a boarding house; the father is engineer at the tile factory. The funeral will be from the Christian church tomorrow morning at 10 o’clock the services to be conducted by Rev. Morrison, the pastor. The parents have the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community.



Page County Democrat, Thursday, June 22, 1893, p. 8

Drowned—The sad news soon spread throughout the city yesterday morning that Thos. Carver, a boy about 18 years of age, was drowned in the Nodaway river east of the city near Crabill’s brickyard, while swimming with other boys. A large crowd was soon collected to search for the body but it was not found until about 11:30 a. m. All efforts to restore life proved futile and the remains were taken to his home in east Clarinda. He was a bright and industrious boy, and his untimely death is lamented by all. The funeral took place from the Christian church at 10 o’clock today, conducted by Rev. Morrison.


[Casey, Matthew T.]

Clarinda Journal, Friday, November 4, 1898, p. 4

M. [atthew] T. Casey died in this city last Friday at 3:15 p. m., of Bright’s disease, age 46 years, 11 months and 9 days. He leaves a family and many friends to mourn their loss. His funeral was held Sunday afternoon at the Free Methodist church conducted by Rev. Mr. Nixon.



Clarinda Herald Journal, Monday, December 24, and Thursday, December 27, 1956, [p. 1]

Mrs. Chesnut, 90, Died At Hopkins

Funeral Was Held Wednesday, Burial in Shearer Cemetery

Plum Grove (Special) Mrs. Lila Chesnut, 90, died Dec. 21 at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Pearl Waldroff in Hopkins, Mo. She had been in ill health for several years.

Surviving are her daughter, Mrs. Pearl Waldroff; a son, Ira Chesnut of near Clearmont; granddaughter, Mrs. Max Edwards, of Braddyville; and a great granddaughter, Paula Kaye Nicholas.



Clarinda Herald Journal, Thursday, May 10, 1945, p. 3

Robert Andrew Chesnut

Ira Chesnut of Clearmont, Mo. received the following letter concerning his son recently killed in action. “Please accept the sincere condolences of the officers and men of Company B, 16th Infantry on the death of your son, Pfc Robert Chesnut, who was killed in action March 20 in Germany. Advancing with his company against desperate enemy resistance in the First Army bridgehead area east of the Rhine, your son was instantly killed by the explosion of an enemy artillery shell. Robert was buried in Belgium with a Protestant chaplain officiating at the services. Robert at all times was a good soldier and was liked by both men and officers.” The letter was signed by Lt Lawrence Strickin, of the 16th Infantry division in Germany.

Pfc Robert Andrew Chesnut was born August 9, 1921, at the home in Nodaway County, near Clearmont, Mo. where he lived until he was 20 years old, at which time he was inducted into the United States Army August 3, 1943. He first had eight weeks of basic training at Camp Callan, San Diego, Calif. then he was transferred to Fort Lawton, Wash. from there being shipped to Kodiak Island, Alaska, serving eighteen months here. On April 21, 1944, he was transferred back to the States to Fort Bliss, Texas. At this time he spent a twenty-day furlough with home folks, this being the first furlough the soldier had had since entering the army. On June 21, 1944, he received a ten-day furlough.

He was in the anti-aircraft search light division until November 1, 1944, when he was transferred to the infantry and sent to Camp Maxey, Texas. He had six weeks of training here and the middle of December he was shipped to Fort George Meade, Md, from here going to New York and sailed for Europe. On January 21, 1945, he was assigned to the First Army and the first division.

Robert attended the Plum Grove School eight years and then helped his parents on the farm.

He leaves to mourn their loss his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ira Chesnut, one sister, Pauline Nicholas, and one brother-in-law, Cecil Nicholas, his fiancée, Leona Maye Koger, and his grandmother, Mrs. Lila Chesnut, also several aunts, uncles, cousins and a host of other relatives and friends.


[CLARK, Moses K. “Doc”]

Clarinda Journal, Friday, January 14, 1898, p. 8

M. [oses] K. Clark, an ex Union soldier and a bachelor, was found dead in his bed in his room on the west side of the square, yesterday afternoon. Coroner Millen held an inquest over the remains. The verdict was that Mr. Clark came to his death from natural causes. He had been in ill health for a long time.



Clarinda Journal, Thursday, November 4, 1915, p. 5

East River

A little baby boy was born to Mr. and Mrs. John Crawford, Nov. 1 and died Nov. 2. Funeral services were held at the Pleasant Ridge church Tuesday afternoon. The funeral was conducted by Rev. J. A. Nayle of Shambaugh. The little one was buried at the Davis cemetery.



Clarinda Journal, Thursday, March 25, 1915, p. 13

Shambaugh and Vicinity

William Crawford, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ed Crawford, died Tuesday, March 23, 1915, at the age of 4 months. The funeral took place this morning at 11 o’clock; burial in the Shearer cemetery in Buchanan township, with Rev. J. A. Nayle officiating.



Clarinda Journal, Thursday, February 12, 1931, p. 4

Mrs. F. Damon Was An Old Settler

Her Death Marked third in Week in Braddyville

Braddyville, Feb. 9----Mrs. Artie Damon passed away Saturday morning at about the same hour and same day that Mr. Damon did, just a week apart. She had been in failing health for several years and the passing of Mr. Damon probably hastened her death. Funeral services were held Monday at 2 o’clock on the same day and hour that her husband’s funeral was held. Burial at Shearer. Obituary later.

Mrs. Damon’s death marked the passing of three of our citizens in the past week. She had lived near Braddyville all her life. Her daughter, Mrs. Esther Kelly, and son, Grover Damon, were with her at time of death; the other son, Charlie Damon, who resides at Longmont, Colo., was called home as his wife was quite ill. It has been reported that she is a T. B. sufferer. We hope the next report is that she is better.



Clarinda Journal, Thursday, February 12, 1931, p. 7

Mrs. F. E. Damon

Artie Thompson, daughter of Joseph and Tildy Thompson was born in Page County, Iowa, May 3, 1861 and departed this life at her home February 7, 1931, aged 69 years, 11 months and 4 days.

She was united in marriage to Frank Everett Damon, October 6, 1881. To this union seven children were born---four of them passed away in infancy. The three children living are Mrs. Esther Kelley, Clearmont, Mo., Grover Damon of Clearmont, Mo., Charlie Damon, Longmont, Colo. Charlie could not be present on account of sickness in his family.

Her husband was laid to rest just a week ago today.

She was of a family of six children---two of these passed away several years ago. The three brothers who survive her are F. M. Thompson, Clearmont, Mo., L. T. Thompson, St. Joseph, Mo., John Thompson, Clarinda. She leaves also, several nieces and nephews and five grandchildren.

Twenty-five years ago she was a member of the Church of Christ at Braddyville, Iowa. A host of friends and neighbors join the family in mourning her departure.

The funeral service was held at the residence, 4 miles south-east of Braddyville, February 9, at 2 P. M., with Rev. B. F. Hall in charge. A male quartet of Braddyville did excellent singing for the occasion. Interment was made in the Shearer Cemetery by the side of her husband.



Clarinda Herald Journal, Thursday, April 14, 1938, p. 5

G Damon Funeral Clearmont, Sat.

Countryside (Special)---Grover Damon, aged 53, and a resident of Countryside for many years, died at the St. Francis hospital in Maryville, Mo, Wednesday morning. Mr. Damon had suffered for over a year and Tuesday night was rushed to the hospital where his illness became worse and after a few hours his death came. He was born in Taylor County and in 1890 moved to near Braddyville. In 1914 he moved to Durango, Colorado, where he was in the undertaking business until 1930 when he returned to Braddyville. A few months ago misfortune came upon him when his home caught fire and burned to the ground and his belongings were lost. After this he moved to Clearmont where he has been since. On February 24, 1906, he was united in marriage to Irmel Burch, who survives him. He also leaves a brother, Charley Damon, of Longmont, Colo., and a sister, Mrs. Walter Kelley, of Countryside. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Damon, preceded him in death in 1931, also two brothers and two sisters died in infancy.

Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at 2:00 o’clock at the Methodist church in Clearmont and burial will be in Clearmont.



Clarinda Herald Journal, Monday, April 18, 1938, p. 6

Grover Damon

Grover Damon, son of Frank and Artie Damon, was born in Taylor County, Iowa, Sept. 8, 1884, and departed from this life April 13, 1938 at the age of 53 years, 7 months and 5 days.

He moved to Missouri with his parents on a farm northeast of Clearmont when about three years of age and lived there until he grew to manhood.

He was united in marriage to Irmel Burch, Feb. 21, 1906. They farmed for a few years until he was forced to give up farming and go west for his health. They moved to Durango, Colo, where for 18 years he was engaged in the undertaking business.

In 1932 they moved back to Iowa, making their home at Braddyville, and just recently moving to Clearmont where he was engaged in the drug business.

He was a member of the Masonic lodge, belonging to the Blue Lodge at Durango, Colo, and the Shrine Lodge at Pueblo, Colo, of which he is still a member.

He leaves to mourn his departure, his wife; one sister, Mrs. Walter Kelley of Clearmont, Mo; a brother, Charley Damon of Longmont, Colo; also several nieces, one nephew, other relatives and a host of friends.

Grover was a good husband and neighbor. His friendly disposition and kindness won many friends who will greatly miss him.

The funeral was held Saturday afternoon at the Methodist church in Clearmont, Rev. Ted Masters of Burlington Junction in charge, assisted by Rev Busby of Clearmont. Burial in the Clearmont cemetery.

Active pallbearers were A. R. Nance, John Wolfe, Cris Huddle, Claude Apple, Vern Hamlin, John Wort. Honorary pallbearers were Calt Holbrook, George Holbrook, Elmer Matlock, Byron Sowers, Bert Jenkins, Sidney Bixler. The flower girls were Artie Belle Kelley, Mrs. Elden Huls, Mrs. Willis Calfee, Mrs. Wilbur Maier.



Clarinda Journal, Thursday, May 7, 1931, p. 5

Allen Davison

The large concourse of people at the funeral service for Allen Davison, held Sunday afternoon at his late residence, indicated the esteem in which he was held, and the large place he has held in the community. His pastor, Dr. A. B. Thutt, conducted the services, speaking of the life of the deceased, and reading the obituary. The funeral cortege then drove to Clarinda cemetery, where interment was made in the family lot, pall bearers being nephews; Donald Davison, Darrell Davison, Wilbur Davison, Roy Davison, Charles Nelson and Farrell Dow.

Allen Davison was born in Taylor County, Iowa, Feb. 2nd, 1866, and died in Wesleyan hospital, Kansas City, April 30th, 1931, having reached the age of 65 years, 2 months and 28 days.

He was of a family of nine children, one brother Henry having died while quite young, and more recently the brother Clark Davison passed to his reward, leaving six surviving brothers and sisters, Charles, Edward, Lawrence, and Harry Davison, and Clara (Mrs. Elmer Nelson), and Jennie (Mrs. Benjamin Dow).

On Feb. 18th, 1886 Mr. Davison and Miss Minnie Rise Brooks were united in marriage, starting their home on a farm southeast of Clarinda. They have lived all their lives in Page County, having one daughter, Essie Pearl Davison, to be the support and comfort of her mother.

Mr. Davison was educated in Page County, and has the record of attaining success at whatever he undertook to do.



Clarinda Herald Journal, Monday, August 19, 1968, [p. 1]

Lawrence Davison buried at Shearer

Braddyville---Lawrence Davison, 81, was given burial rites Sunday at Shearer Cemetery near Braddyville following service at Burlington Junction. He died Friday at the hospital in Maryville after several weeks illness and care.

The Davison home has been near Braddyville, he being born the son of George and Belle Davison on Feb. 16, 1887 on a farm six miles east of Braddyville. His wife, the former Pearl Culberson, died in 1955. They have three sons, Wayne of Quitman, Mo, George of Paramount, Calif, Jerry of Burlington Junction and a daughter, Luella Graves of Burlington Junction. There are nine grandchildren, 16 great grandchildren. 



Clarinda Herald Journal, Wednesday, September 12, 2007, p. 3

Dorothy Cleo (Sheley) Davison

Dorothy Cleo (Sheley) Davison, 95, of Clarinda, formerly of Braddyville, passed away Friday afternoon, September 7, 2007 at Clarinda Regional Health Center.

Dorothy was born September 4, 1912 northwest of Hopkins, MO to Ed and Viola (Owens) Sheley. She graduated Valley Country School. Dorothy was united in marriage to Virgil Davison February 22, 1932 at Maryville, MO. The couple were blessed with three sons: Max, Ronnie, and Clark. Dorothy was a farm wife, helping with the farm and home. She was particularly fond of crocheting afghans and quilting for family and friends, estimating she gave away more than one hundred. She was considered Super Grandma for being ready to babysit whenever asked. Named after the local country school the Pine Community club recently recognized Dorothy as a 60-year charter member—the last one living. In 1993 Dorothy and Virgil moved to Clarinda. On June 2, 1998 Virgil passed away. Dorothy moved to ClarHaven in 2002 and in 2005 to Goldenrod Manor in Clarinda where she resided at the time of her death.

She was preceded in death by her parents, husband, infant son Jimmy Davison, brother Lynn Sheley and sister Pauline Spencer.

Dorothy is survived by her three sons: Max Davison and wife Judy of St. Joseph, MO; Ronnie Davison and wife Sue of Braddyville, IA; and Clark Davison and wife Lorene of Loveland, CO; grandchildren Pam Holman and husband James of Clarinda, IA, Todd Davison and wife Shavone of Broken Arrow, OK, Chris Davison of Braddyville, IA, Natalie Buesing of Rich Hill, MO, Joe Davison and wife Kendra of Loveland, CO, and Karla Davison of Denver, CO; a host of step grandchildren and great grandchildren and great great grandchildren.

Funeral services were held Monday, September 10, 2007 at Walker-Merrick Funeral Home with Pastor Tom Swafford officiating. Interment was at Shearer cemetery, Braddyville, Iowa. Memorials are suggested to Braddyville Fire & Rescue. Walker-Merrick Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.



Clarinda Journal, Thursday, July 20, 1911, p. 2

Henry Clay Davison

Henry Clay Davison was born in Andrew County, Mo., Jan. 31, 1846, and died at his residence in Page County, Ia., July 13, 1911, aged 65 years, 5 months and 12 days. Clay was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Wayne Davison, who were early pioneer settlers in Page County, having located here in the year 1853. He was united in marriage March 26, 1868, to Miss Sarah Ingram, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Ingram. To them were born six children, five boys and one girl, Wayne, Hiram, Delbert, Clyde, Mayme and Edwin, all of whom survive him except Hiram, who died in infancy. Clay having practically spent his entire life in this community was well known and highly respected by all who knew him. He was a jovial disposition, always greeting his friends with a welcome. He was a man of more than ordinary physique until his recent illness, which was of several months duration. He possessed great patience during his illness, his suffering at times being intense, and on Thursday afternoon, surrounded by his affectionate family and loving friends his spirit took its flight and he passed into the great beyond. The deceased leaves to mourn his departure a devoted wife, an aged mother, four sons, one daughter, two grandchildren, five brothers and two sisters, besides other relatives and a large circle of friends. The funeral of Mr. Davison was held Sunday, July 16, at 2 p. m., conducted by Rev. F. E. Hamlin, pastor of the Church of God, at the Shearer church and interment at that cemetery southeast of Shambaugh.



Clarinda Herald Journal, Monday, August 3, 1942, p. 6

Davison Infant Rites Held

Funeral services were held Monday morning at 10:00 for the baby of Mr. and Mrs. Virgil Davison at the Pruitt funeral home. Rev. Walling conducted the funeral service. Burial was in Shearer cemetery.



Clarinda Herald Journal, Monday, August 10, 1942, p. 6


The little boy baby of Mr. and Mrs. Virgil Davison was buried in the Shearer cemetery Monday morning with short services at the grave.



Clarinda Herald Journal, Thursday, August 18, 1955, p. 3

Mrs. M Davison Died Tuesday Noon

Last Rites on Friday for Aged Braddyville Resident

Braddyville (Special)---Mrs. Matilda Davison, 90, died Tuesday noon after a five-day illness at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Della Douthit, in Braddyville. Mrs. Davison was a long time resident of Braddyville.

She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Douthit and Mrs. Dale Laub of Braddyville, and one son, Edd Davison of St. Joseph, Mo.

Funeral services will be held Friday at 2 p. m. at the Braddyville Methodist church, Rev. W. L. Hawn officiating, with burial at Braddyville. Walker Funeral Home is in charge.



Clarinda Herald Journal, Monday, July 25, 1955, [p. 1]

Rites This Monday For Mrs. L Davison

Died at Burlington Junction; Burial in Clarinda Cemetery

Mrs. Lawrence Davison, 77, died at her home near Burlington Junction, Mo, Friday after a long illness.

Funeral service was held this Monday afternoon at the Methodist church in Burlington Junction with burial and committal services in the Clarinda cemetery. Hann Funeral Home of Burlington Junction was in charge.

Mrs. Davison formerly made her home in Braddyville but had lived at Burlington Junction the past 13 years.

Survivors are her husband, Lawrence; a daughter and two sons of Burlington Junctions, Mrs. Miles Graves, Wayne and Jerry; and a son George of Tarkio, Mo.



Clarinda Herald-Journal, Wednesday, June 10, 1998, p. 5

Virgil Davison

Virgil Davison, 91, of Clarinda, died Tuesday night, June 2, 1998, at Clarinda Regional Health Center where he had been admitted earlier in the day. He was born June 8, 1906, near Braddyville, the son of Robert and Anna Laub Davison.

On February 22, 1933, he married Dorothy Sheley who survives.

Mr. and Mrs. Davison farmed in the Braddyville area until moving to Clarinda five years ago. He was a life-long farmer and was well known for his trapping ability.

He is survived by his wife, Dorothy, of the home, and three sons: Max and wife Judy, Forsyth, Missouri; Ronnie and wife Sue of Braddyville, and Clark and wife Lorene, of Loveland, Colorado. Harlen Davison of Hopkins, Missouri, is a stepbrother. There are 6 grandchildren, 7 step-grandchildren, 8 great-grandchildren, 11 step-great grandchildren and 3 step-great-great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by parents, son Jimmy D., 5 sisters and 5 brothers.

Funeral services were Friday, June 5, at Walker-Merrick Funeral Home with Rev. Dennis Bradley officiating. Burial was in Shearer Cemetery near Braddyville.



Clarinda Herald Journal, Thursday, April 1, 1937, p. 5

Leland Ray Drain

Leland Ray Drain, son of Mr. and Mrs. Emmett Drain, was born in Burlington Junction, September 9, 1933, and passed away at his home in Clarinda March 31, 1937, age 3 years, 6 months and 23 days, after an attack of scarlet fever.

He leaves to mourn his death his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Emmett Drain of Clarinda, one brother, Freddie Allen, 12 days old; his grandfather, W. M. Walker of Clarinda, and his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Drain of Burlington Junction, and other relatives and friends.

Interment was made in Clarinda cemetery. A brief service was held at the grave by B. F. Hall.



Page County Democrat, Thursday, January 13, 1898, p. 8

Died, at the home of Ike Beery, near Shambaugh, Jan. 10, Dwight Egleston, aged 64 years, 11 months and 12 days. Mr. Egleston was a good citizen and a member of the M. E. church. Funeral services were held at the Braddyville church, conducted by Rev. Buckner, and the remains laid to rest in the Braddyville cemetery.


Page County Democrat, Thursday, January 13, 1898, p. 8

Died, at the home of Geo. Failyer, Jan. 9th, Wm. M. Failure, aged 40 years, 9 months and 14 days. Mr. Failyer did not belong to any religious denomination but was a good citizen and honest in dealing with his fellow beings. He leaves a little boy, Gilbert, aged 11 years, and a little girl, Stella, aged 8 years, a father, two brothers, one sister and a host of friends to mourn his death. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Buckner, and the remains laid to rest in the Braddyville cemetery.


Clarinda Daily Journal, Wednesday, May 25, 1898, p. 4

William Ferguson died yesterday at the county hospital, where he had been staying for several months previous to his death. The cause of his death was bronchitis. He was a bachelor and his age was about 64 years. He was born in Pennsylvania, moved from there to Illinois, and from that state to Iowa. He was a resident of this locality for about 15 years, and those who were acquainted with him knew him as a good citizen. The funeral takes place this afternoon at the home of Charles Fletcher. Mr. Ferguson at one time had $ 1,500 or $1,600, but owing to illness was obliged to spend his surplus for living expenses. The Journal is informed that he had a little money left at the time of his death, and that he paid for his care by R. H. Fulton, the superintendent of the county hospital, who gave him a home on account of old friendship. George Ferguson, a brother, came from Ringgold County to attend the funeral.


Clarinda Herald Journal, Monday, April 18, 1938, p. 6

Ardis Lucille Gebbie

Ardis Lucille Gebbie was born April 10, 1904 at Clarinda. Death came April 14, 1938, at 1:05 in the afternoon at the family home in Clarinda. Ardes was preceded in death by her mother, one sister and four brothers. Surviving her are: her father, George Gebbie of Clarinda; three brothers, Francis and Harry of Clarinda, and Oscar of Cornelius, Oregon.

Services of memory were conducted from the Walker Funeral Home in Clarinda at 2:00 in the afternoon, Sunday, April 17, 1938. John A. Abel, pastor of the Clarinda Church of Christ, where Ardes has attended with other members of the family, was in charge of the service. Interment was at Oak Grove cemetery, near Clarinda.

Those serving as pall bearers were: Paul Watt, Noble Johnson, Hubert Hazelton, Neil Rastofer, Howard Richey and William Hendren. Nick Roberts sang “In the Garden” and “Goodnight and Good Morning,” accompanied by Louise Stanton.



Clarinda Journal, Friday, June 3, 1898, [p. 1]

Miss Laura Hatfield, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Hatfield, died at 9 o’clock Wednesday morning, in this city, age 23 years. The funeral was held yesterday.



Clarinda Daily Journal, Wednesday, May 25, 1898, p. 4

A daughter of Samuel Kelley of Buchanan Township, age 9 years, died Monday night. The funeral is today, and the burial in this city.



Clarinda Journal, Thursday, November 27, 1930, p. 2

S. W. Kelley

Samuel Wildeson Kelley, son of Beatty and Mary Ann Turner Kelley, was born at Wilton Junction, Cedar County, Iowa, April 11th, 1859, and departed this life, Nov. 21st, 1930, at the age of 71 years, 7 months and 10 days.

He moved with his parents to Page County in 1863 where he grew to manhood.

On October 20th, 1886 he was married to Mary Frances Hay. To this union were born five children, all of whom, with the mother, survive him, except Ina, who preceded him in death. Those children surviving him are Mrs. Zora Duncan of Clarinda, Russel T. [urner], of Clarinda, [Lawrence] Selby of Shenandoah, and Lois of Clarinda; two granddaughters, Evelyn and Frances Duncan, whom he loved; one brother, Ethan M. Kelley of Shambaugh; nieces and nephews and a host of friends.

Mr. Kelley was kind and always ready to help any one in need, and especially did he love little children, never meeting one without a word to them.

Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon, from the Presbyterian Church, of which he was an honored member, conducted by his pastor, Dr. A. B. Thutt, interment being in Clarinda cemetery. The abundance of beautiful flowers at the funeral attested the high esteem in which he was held, as did the large concourse of people present. Those present from a distance were Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Trullinger of Central City, Neb.; Etta Kelley from Dennison; Mr. and Mrs. Orrin Slocum and Mr. and Mrs. Murray from Darlington, Mo.; Mr. and Mrs. Jake Pike from Omaha; Mr. and Mrs. Luman Scovel, and Mrs. Elsie Harboard from Derby, Ia.



Clarinda Journal, Thursday, November 27, 1930, p. 2

Kelley Pallbearers

Active and honorary pallbearers were chosen at the funeral of Sam Kelley, N. W. Cline, Frank Reed, G. W. Richardson, Knox Alexander, Alex Duncan and Joe Beck being the honorary friends while Roy Johnson, Frank Thompson, Jennings Beery, George Baker, Cecil Crawford and Ed Fulk of the Pleasant Ridge neighborhood were the active men.



Clarinda Journal, Friday, November 4, 1898, p. 4

Mrs. Lydia C. Kile, wife of Caleb E. Kile, died at her home in Clarinda, Sunday evening at 8:30 o’clock, age 69 years, 8 months and 23 days. Her funeral was held Tuesday afternoon at the Adventist church. A good wife, fond mother and a lady esteemed by her neighbors has passed away.



Clarinda Daily Journal, Wednesday, May 25, 1898, p. 4

Mrs. William McLean, who died last Friday, at 2:45 p. m., at College Springs, had long lived in that community. Her maiden name was Rachel Clark. She was born Jan. 15, 1820, at Ballyholme, County Antrim, Ireland, and was married in 1845 to William McLean. The same year the newly married couple came to the United States, locating in Pennsylvania, where they resided until 1858, when they moved to Page County, Ia., locating on a farm near College Springs, from which they recently moved to the town of College Springs, where the excellent lady died. Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs. McLean, seven sons and one daughter. The latter, Mary Jane, died at the age of seven years. All the sons, as follows, survive: Samuel and Robert J., in Amity township; William at Bottineau, N. D.; Thomas, at Stanberry, Mo.; James L., College Springs; Clark N., Walla Walla, Wash., and Joseph W., College Springs. Mrs. McLean died of paralysis, of which she had a stroke in January, 1897. The second stroke, which she had about one week before her death, was the immediate cause of her demise. The funeral, held Sunday, at 11 a. m., was very largely attended, about 1,000 people being present. The services were conducted by Rev. E. S. Martin, pastor of the United Presbyterian church of College Springs, of which the deceased has been a member since 1858. The sermon was preached by Rev. Mr. Kilpatrick of California.



Clarinda Herald Journal, Thursday, April 14, 1938, p. 5

Mrs. Harriett Maxwell

Another of Taylor County’s pioneer women has answered the final summons, in the passing of Mrs. Harriett Maxwell. Hers has been a long and useful life, spanning more than 86 years, almost 80 of those years being spent in Page and Taylor counties.

Mrs. Maxwell knew the experiences of the covered wagon days, when as a small child she came by wagon, with her parents, to Iowa from Ohio. She also knew and shared the hardships and struggles of the early settlers, as she grew into young womanhood, married, and she and her husband established their own home and reared a fine family of children. Even in those busiest years she was ever ready to reach out far beyond her own home and lend a helping hand to others in the time of sickness or need. Many a neighbor’s or friend’s burden was lightened, for her having shared the load with them. This trait of character she carried with her, down to her declining years, making her life an inspiration to those with whom she came in contact.

Grandma Maxwell, as she was commonly called, had always retained her own home until one year ago when failing health prevented her from “carrying on” any longer. Since then she has been cared for in the home of two of the daughters, Mrs. Edd Arthur and Mrs. Rube Anderson, and five years previous had been cared for by her daughter, Mrs. Florence Snively. At the latter’s home she passed peacefully away early Sunday morning. Besides the two daughters just mentioned, Mrs. Ren Snively, Mrs. Lois McDaniels, Henry Maxwell and wife were at her bedside when the end came.

Harriett, daughter of John and Mary Waltner Creps, was born on Sept. 25, 1851, at Leipsic, Putnam County, Ohio, and died April 10, 1938, at the ripe age of 86 years, 6 months and 16 days. She was one of a family of four children. Two brothers are deceased, and a sister, Mrs. Sarah Jane Burch of Braddyville, survives.

When she was six years old her parents came to Iowa and settled on a farm east of Braddyville. Here she grew to womanhood and on Feb. 21, 1869, she was married to John Manley Maxwell. To this union was born ten children, two sons and eight daughters. One daughter passed away at the age of 14 months. The other children all grew to maturity and just two years ago, on Feb. 4, 1936, the first link in their circle was broken, when the eldest son, Charley, of Canby, Minn. passed away.

Several years after their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Maxwell moved to a farm south of New Market, which remained their home and where they reared their family. In 1907 the retired and moved to New Market where Mr. Maxwell passed away Oct. 7, 1918.

When a young woman Mrs. Maxwell united with the Christian church at Siam, later transferring her membership to the church at New Market, when she became resident there. She was a sincere Christian woman, always interested in and taking part in the church work and affairs as long as her health permitted her to do so.

Medical skill, constant and tender care were all rendered to stay the advance of the infirmities of age, but to no avail and she has passed on to her well earned and justly deserved reward.

Surviving the deceased are the daughters, Ada Anderson, Sarah Arthur and Florence Snively of New Market, Ella Miller of McCook, Nebr., Cora Savage of Coeur d’Alene, Ida., Lois McDaniels of  Pocatello, Ida., Dollie Rever of Blackfoot, Ida., and the son Henry Maxwell, of New Market, 47 grandchildren, 71 great grandchildren, 4 great great grandchildren, besides a host of other relatives and friends.

Funeral services were held on Tuesday afternoon at 2 o’clock at the Christian church in New Market, Rev. Clarence Eppard of Clarinda in charge. Burial was in the Shearer cemetery. Those who carried the casket were her grandsons, Harvey Anderson, Roscoe Savage, Earl Snively, Oral Snively, James Maxwell and Carl Arthur. Singers were Opal Wallace and Miss Yates, with Leafy Pace at the piano. Dorothy Miller and Deloris Anderson took care of the flowers.

Those coming from a distance were Mr. and Mrs. Earl Maxwell, Mr. and Mrs. Dorsey Maxwell and son Everett of Thurman, Ia., Mr. and Mrs. Lester Hardey, Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Crawford of Dunlap, Ia., Mr. and Mrs. Wilsie Anderson of Blockton, Frank Anderson of St. Joseph, Mr. and Mrs. Charlie Thompson and family of Bedford, Mr. and Mrs. Lester Runyan, Mr. and Mrs. Tommie Reed, Mose Burch, Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Reed, Mr. and Mrs. Arch Moore, Mr. and Mrs. Marve Burch, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Hiles, Mr. and Mrs. Edd Anderson and family, all of Braddyville, Mrs. Ida Burch, Mrs. Howard Damewood of Hopkins, Ms. Cora Savage of Coeur d’Alene, Ida., Mrs. Lois McDaniels of Pocatello, Ida., and Mrs. Ella Miller of McCook, Nebr.



Clarinda Herald, Friday, July 1, 1898, p. 8


In Memorium of Earel [Earl] Corman Morgan, who was drowned June 24, 1893, at 6 p. m.

Earel [Earl] Corman Morgan was born in Page County, Iowa, Oct. 9, 1878, died June 24, 1898 aged 19 years, 8 months and 15 days. He was the son of Spencer D. and Pluma M. Morgan. He leaves a dear father, mother, one brother and five sisters, also an aged grandmother and a number of other relatives and dear friends to mourn his loss; one brother having preceded him ten years to the heavenly home. After attending a picnic he and a few friends went to Shambaugh, a few miles distant, to spend a pleasant time boat riding on the river. He was alone in the boat when it became unmanageable and drifted with the current over the dam, and, in a few moments he sank for the last time.

The river was soon lined with anxious friends who began immediately to search for the body, and continued until the body rose Sunday at noon, forty-two hours after it sank.

Earel was converted in March, 1891, joined the M. E. church of Pleasant Ridge and live a consistent Christian life until the time of his death. He was kind and unassuming in his manner at all times, happy in his disposition and rather sacrificing in his own comfort to secure happiness for those around him. In the home he was a kind and loving son and brother, an honor to his parents, brother and sisters. In social life he was strong, and it can be truly said that everyone who knew him was his friend.

In Christian work he was untiring. He was an efficient Bible student and is specially remembered for his personal work among the young people. He was ever faithful and never shrank from any duty assigned him. In the Sabbath school his class was brightened by his regular attendance. In the Epworth League he was an efficient worker and at the time of his death was a member of the cabinet. He was an inspiration to his fellow Epworthians and when we remember the earnestness and zeal, the kindness and sympathy with which he pursued the work, we feel that a place is made vacant in our League, which can never be filled but for which God alone can atone.

The entire family are members of the church and are known for their zealousness in the Christian work. They are firm in their faith and realize that it is a blessing to know how to trust in the One who has enabled them to enjoy the blessings of an unbroken family circle through the years past and now sustains them in this their time of need.

The body was interred in the Clarinda cemetery Sunday evening, as it could not be kept until Monday. The funeral was held at the Pleasant Ridge church Monday at 2 p. m., conducted by the pastor, Rev. D. M. Buckner, who took as his text Prov. 27:1. “Boast not thyself of tomorrow for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.” The sermon, which was very impressive, was followed by short talks by Mrs. E. J. Hershey, who told of his work in the Sabbath school, and Miss Hulda Boles, who told of his work in the Epworth League. The church was beautifully decorated with bunting and flowers. The principal feature of the decoration was the chairs arranged in front of the altar and draped in black, back of which hung the Epworth League motto and a cross in flowers, and in place of the coffin there was a bed of flowers.

The bereaved family have the heartfelt sympathy of all who know them in this their sad bereavement. We realize how insufficient human sympathy is when we think of their loss---the vacant chair in the home, the voice they will never hear again as they sit around the family circle. But in this time of sorrow we can only point them to the Divine One, who will enable us to find consolation in the hope we have that if we take his example as our guide we will meet him in the happy home which will be one unbroken family around the throne of God. In the morning of life when youth’s hopes wee brightest, death claimed him, and in the triumph of a living faith he passed from earth with its labors to heaven and its reward only to shine a brighter light on the other shore.   H. B.



Clarinda Journal, Friday, June 3, 1898, [p. 1]

Mrs. Martha Muller, wife of Louis Muller, died Thursday, the 26th inst., at Nebraska City, Neb., where she was buried Wednesday. She leaves a husband and five sons, the youngest a babe of nine months. Her age was about 30 years. She was a daughter of John and Eleanor Pfander of Clarinda. Her mother and Mrs. F. H. Muller, the latter accompanied by her daughters, Mrs. Lottie Smith and Mrs. L. T. Rawlings, went to Nebraska City to attend the funeral. The father-in-law of the deceased, F. H. Muller, had not learned the cause of her death, but thought it must have been from la grippe, which ailment she had recently.



Clarinda Daily Journal, Thursday, May 12, 1898, p. 3

Mrs. Anna Eliza Newman died suddenly, yesterday, at the farm of Dr. E. T. Farrens, east of Clarinda, where she was keeping house for her grandsons, John and Emil Newman. The funeral takes place today. The burial will be in the Clarinda cemetery. The late Mrs. Newman was a native of Sweden and came to the United States in 1873. She formerly lived near Essex. Four sons, three daughters, and about 30 grandchildren survive her. Of the sons, Gustaf lives in Sweden, John in Nebraska, and Charles and August near Essex. One daughter, Louisa, lives in Denmark, another, Ida, near Essex, and the third, Augusta, at Aledo, Ill. Mrs. Newman was 78 years of age.


Clarinda Herald, Tuesday, February 22, 1898, p. 4

NICHOLAS---At his residence in Page County, Iowa, Feb. 15, 1898, J. [ackson] J. Nicholas, was in his 74th year. He was born in Piketon county, Ohio, May 28, 1823; in 1826 he moved with his father’s family to Vermilion County, Ind., nine years later moved to Vermilion County, Ill., and in 1844 moved to Green Co., Wisconsin, encountering many hardships on his journey. He was married March 21, 1847 to Lucinda Lewis, of Wisc.; by this union eight children were born, of which seven are living, Catherine, John A., Alice, Marion, Mary, Nannie and Charles M. His wife died in March ’68, and in March ’70 he was again married to Eliza Jett; by this union he has one child, Joseph A. Uncle Jack emigrated to Page County 44 years ago, where he has spent the remainder of his life in hard labor, making for himself and family a comfortable home and by his labor was able to provide his table with the best luxuries of life and everyone who entered his home was welcomed to partake of his hospitality. He was a member of the Methodist church for over 50 years, was a careful reader of the bible; to him it brought a fountain of promises, through prosperity and reverses, through pleasures and sorrow it bore him and by its help he launched upon the river of death and entered the other bright shore.

The funeral was conducted by Rev. D. M. Buckner, who preached a very impressive sermon. The bereaved family have the heartfelt sympathy of the whole community, but while they mourn the loss of a husband and a father may they trust in Him who is able to heal, who will reunited in love the severed cords forming a happy family on the other shore. May they strive to live each day in the holy religion, which is so truly honored and exemplified.


Clarinda Journal, Friday, April 15, 1898, p. 4

Information has been received here by Dr. M. Enfield, through an Ogden, Utah, paper, of the death of Captain Frank E. Norton at that place. He left Clarinda in 1890 after some 15 or 20 years residence here. He died the 6th inst., and as buried the 7th inst. under the auspices of the Grand Army of the Republic. The captain leaves a widow and three sons, one of the latter a reporter in the Klondike country for a San Francisco newspaper, and the widow and two of the sons residing in Ogden. When in Clarinda, Captain Norton was in the livery business.


Clarinda Herald Journal, Wednesday, June 10, 1998, p. 5

Virgil Rawlings

Virgil Rawlings, 74, of Phoenix, Arizona, died June 4, 1998. He was born Sept. 10, 1923, at College Springs, Iowa.

On March 9, 1945, he married Clara Mae Fishell, who survives. He was a retired carpenter, having worked in residential construction. He had lived in Phoenix since 1985. Survivors include his wife, Clara Mae, of the home and three children: William R. Rawlings, American Fork, Utah; Kenneth W. Rawlings, River Falls, Wisconsin; and Constance A. Jefferson, Garland, Texas. Darlene Stiverson of Red Oak, Iowa, is a sister. Graveside services were Wednesday at Shearer cemetery near Braddyville, Iowa. Walker-Merrick Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.


Clarinda Journal, Friday, November 4, 1898, p. 4

Robert S. Rea died Sunday evening in this city, age 82 years. The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon at the Adventist church, of which he was a member. He had lived in this community for a long time and will be much missed by his relatives and friends.


Clarinda Herald, Wednesday, April 16, 1890, p. 4

Hannah Reeves, daughter of Hugh and Anna Barclay, was born in Green County, Pa., Jan. 12, 1812, and died at her home two miles north of Clarinda, Apr. 13, 1890 aged 78 years, 3 months and 1 day.

She was the youngest of eleven children and survived them all.

Sept. 25, 1833, she was married to Morgan Reeves, and became the mother of nine children. Three of these were taken to the heavenly home in their infancy, and six remain to mourn her loss.

Twenty-four years ago death bereft her of her husband. She took up the entire burden of the family, and the year after his death came with her children and settled on the farm, which continued to be her home until her departure.

Very early in life she united with the Presbyterian Church, loved it ardently and served it faithfully to the end. She has been for twenty-two years a faithful and loved member of the Presbyterian church of this city.

Although the infirmities of age have been hers for some years and her distance from the church has prevented regular attendance upon the services of the sanctuary, yet she was often found in her accustomed place in the house of God.

Her home was a sanctuary and her heart the temple of the Holy Ghost. She did not say so much about religion but she lived it with such artless, simple faith, that her light shone.

Last winter she suffered, as did many others with La Grippe, recovered partially and then relapsed. Although no marked form of trouble appeared, yet she failed gradually at first and then more rapidly.  Saturday night and Sabbath morning she sank into a quiet sleep, and even while the eyes of love were watching

“The weary wheels of life stood still

      at last,”

And she fell asleep in Jesus.

Though she walked through the valley of the shadow she feared no ill, for she walked with God.”

 And she was not, for God took her.

The funeral services were held in the Presbyterian Church, Tuesday at 11 a. m., her pastor, assisted by Rev. Westcott, officiating.

All the children were present except Wm., who lives in Seattle, Washington.


Clarinda Journal, Thursday, February 12, 1931, p. 7

“Bud” Rhoades Died

Funeral services were held this Tuesday afternoon in Red Oak for the late Clarence Rhoades who has been ill for some time at the home of his sisters in Red Oak, where he passed away Saturday, short services there at 1 p. m. being followed by services at three p. m. at the Covenanter church southwest of Clarinda, interment being in the church cemetery there. Mr. Rhoades was about 57 years of age, a bachelor, who is known to many through having worked as a carpenter many years in the vicinity of Clarinda and Shambaugh.


Clarinda Herald Journal, Thursday, April 14, 1938, p. 5

T. J. Snodgrass

Thomas Jasper Snodgrass, son of James Thomas and Nancy Ann Snodgrass, was born in Mahaska County, Iowa, Nov. 17, 1863. He moved with his family to Page County, Iowa when 2 1/2 years of age, residing in old Memory where he grew to manhood.

He was married to Mellie Farrell, March 17, 1887. Three children were born to this union, Bessie Waneta, Carl Dale and Ralph Harold, who were all present at his bedside when he passed on.

He was a member of the Christian church and of the Odd Fellow lodge, taking an active part in both organizations as long as his health permitted.

During Woodrow Wilson’s administration he served as postmaster at New Market for 5 ½ years and the balance of the time lived on his farm just south of New Market.

He was preceded in death by his father, Dr. James T. Snodgrass, in 1877, and his mother Nancy A. Snodgrass, in 1919; also by his brother Arthur, and four sisters, Toquinna, Hattie, Lauretta and Jennie.

He is survived by his widow and three children; a daughter-in-law, Delia, and grandson, Thomas James; also by three sisters, Nora Dougherty of Clarinda, Ia., Thelia Puckett of Oklahoma City, Okla., and Ora Millhone of Denver, Colo; three brothers, Oscar T. of Hiawatha, Kan., Adolphus E. of New Market, Ia., and Charlie of Denver, Colo.

He was a man fond of his home and family, a good husband and a good father, loyal to his friends’ interest in the affairs of the community.

Funeral services were held Saturday afternoon, April 9, at the home south of town by Reverend Schackelford. Burial was in Memory cemetery.


Clarinda Herald Journal, Thursday, March 22, 1934, p. 4

Mrs. Catherine Speights passed away Tuesday morning, March 13, 1934, at the age of 99 years, 10 months and 13 days. She was born in West Virginia in the year 1834, her maiden name being Catherine Clark.

Her father and mother died when she was quite small. She was then sold in Virginia and was later brought to Daydville, Mo., before the Civil War. She was freed in Daydville after the signing of the proclamation.

She was married to Henry Speights. To this union seven children were born, two of whom are living in Clarinda, Mrs. Anna Griggs and Mrs. Cora Jones. Five children, Gatzy, Allen, George, Charlie and Razz, preceded her in death. Her two brothers and two sisters have also died.

She went to California and lived there for seven years and then came back to Missouri. She came to Iowa in 1903 and joined the A. M. E. church in 1904. She has made her home with her daughter and son-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Joe Griggs, for the past 14 years.

Besides her two daughters, she also leaves her son-in-law, 27 grandchildren and 37 great grandchildren, and a host of friends.

Together with those who are bereft of a dear one, we bow in humble submission to Him who doeth all things well.

The funeral services for “Aunt Speights” was held Thursday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock from the A. M. E. church, Rev. W. M. Berry having charge. Six of the grandsons acted as pallbearers, Glenn, Herman, Merrill and Eugene Griggs, Louis and Hershel Montgomery. The two flower girls were Lyda and Lucille Pemberton. The church choir furnished the music. Burial was in the Clarinda cemetery.


Clarinda Herald Journal, Thursday, April 8, 1943, p. 4

Mrs. R F Thompson

Elizabeth Jane, daughter of Joshua and Amy Farrell, was born January 6, 1859, and departed this life April 4, 1943, at the age of 84 years, 2 months, 29 days. She lived her entire life in Taylor and Page counties.

ON May 23, 1878, she was united in marriage to Richard F Thompson. To this union five children were born---four girls and one boy; Olive Dougherty and Edna Peterman of New Market, Orie Thompson of Clarinda, and Cora Ethel and Gertrude deceased. She is survived by her aged husband, 3 children, 11 grandchildren, 12 great grandchildren and 3 great great grandchildren and 2 sisters, Mrs. Mary Lowery and Mrs. Nellie Snodgrass, both of New Market, besides a host of friends to mourn her loss. In early life she united with the Methodist church and was ever faithful to the Saviour’s teaching. She was a most gracious mother and companion. She was a charter member of the Social Hour circle.

Funeral services were conducted by Ellsworth L. Woods, pastor of the Clarinda Church of Christ, on Tuesday afternoon, April 6, at 2:00 at Walker’s Funeral Home. Music was provided by Joetta Bales accompanied by Aletha Hutchings. The pallbearers were Carl Snodgrass, Lawrence Hanson, Jennings Beery, Dale Pershin, Floyd Peterman and Dale Peterman. Interment was in Memory cemetery.


Clarinda Journal, Friday, June 3, 1898, [p. 1]

Mrs. Wallace, widow of Rev. Thomas Wallace, died Wednesday morning at the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Marley in this city. The lady was upwards of 70 years of age. She had lived at Mr. Marley’s for about three years, and been a resident of Clarinda for probably 35 years. Her husband was a well-known Methodist Episcopal minister who died six years ago. The funeral was held Thursday afternoon at 2 o’clock at the home of Mr. Marley.


Clarinda Herald, Wednesday, March 8, 1893, p. 5

Death of Rev. Thomas Wallace

The people in this vicinity were greatly shocked last Thursday morning by the news that Rev. Thomas Wallace had died very suddenly at about 1 o’clock. He had been apparently in better health than usual of late. He had attended church the Sunday before his death, and even on Wednesday had been on the street several times and talked frequently and cheerfully with friends. The funeral service was held in the Methodist Church Friday afternoon, and was well attended notwithstanding the unfavorable weather. The pastor was assisted by Rev. D. O. Stewart, Dr. T. C. Smith and Rev. I. C. Rankin, all rendering most efficient service. A double quartet sang beautifully appropriate selections. The deceased was laid to rest in the cemetery north of town.

In 1857 Brother Wallace came to this town as pastor of the M. E. church. He had appointments elsewhere in the county, and went occasionally into Taylor and Montgomery counties. After one year on the charge and perhaps a brief ministry elsewhere, he located here, and with the exception of a short business career at Malvern, has made Clarinda his home ever since.

He has always been a pious, inoffensive and genial man. Years ago he officiate at more funerals than perhaps any man in the active ministry in this locality. And until his death he was the champion in the matrimonial field, having performed upwards of a thousand marriage ceremonies.

His aged wife, his companion for many years, is left alone. She has the deepest sympathy of all our people in her affliction.


Clarinda Journal, Thursday, February 12, 1931, p. 7

Mrs. M. Wilder

Mrs. Martha Wilder, Martha C. [arolen] Fine, daughter of Peter and Eliza Fine, was born Jan. 7, 1848 in Fountain County, Indiana, and departed this life at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Harry Northup, Lincoln, Nebr., Feb. 6, 1931 at the age of 83 years and 30 days.

When seven years of age she came with her parents to Taylor County, Iowa, where she grew to womanhood.

On November 18, 1886 she was married to Abijah Wilder, who preceded her in death ten years ago. To this union seven children were born, two daughters and two sons dying in infancy. She is survived by three daughters: Mrs. G. H. Swaney, Pickering, Mo., Mrs. Alta Cussins, Shambaugh, Iowa; Mrs. Harry Northup, Lincoln, Nebr., and Byron Estes, Graham, Mo., a boy whom they took at three years of age and gave a home. Also seventeen grandchildren, thirty great grandchildren, two sisters, three brothers and a host of other relatives and friends to whom she was known as Aunt Martha.

She was converted early in life and joined the Free Methodist church and remained a faithful member until death. Mrs. Wilder was a very devoted Christian; though quiet and unassuming her life ever spoke for the Christ she loved so dearly. Her home was ever open to all and especially those interested in the church she cherished.

The funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at the Shearer church and she was laid to rest in the Shearer cemetery beside her husband.

Services were in charge of Rev. J. F. Mudd, assisted by Rev. Bertha Brown.

Miss Rhoda Monzingo and Miss Eula Mudd furnished the singing.


Clarinda Herald, Friday, October 28, 1898, p. 4


J. W. Winney, of Summerfield, Kan., came in to attend his brother’s funeral, which occurred Friday last. Rev. Dodd conducted the services and delivered a splendid discourse. Arthur Winney, the deceased, was 35 years old. He was born in England, was a member of the Congregational church at College Springs. He leaves a wife and two small children.


Clarinda Journal, Thursday, February 12, 1931, p. 7

William N. Worrell

William N. Worrell, son of Isaiah [Edward] and Elmira [Rachel Kirk] Worrell, was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, Dec. 21, 1845 and passed from this life at the home of his son, Ed. W., after a short illness at the age of 85 years, 1 month, and 15 days.

He, with his parents, moved to Sterling, Whiteside County, Ill., at the age of 5 years, at which place he grew to manhood. He attended district and high school and at the age of 20 taught school. Then he came to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where he again taught winter school.

On March 18, 1867, he was united in marriage to Miss Jeanette Rosbrook, who had recently come from New York State, who preceded him in death April 25, 1923, at the farm home after several years’ illness.

They belonged to the Methodist church at College Springs, where he still holds membership.

To this union were born 10 children: three sons, who died in infancy, and one son, Clarence E., who died at the age of 27 years; three sons and three daughters who are living, Grace Hoffman, Oregon, Mo., Edward E. [lmer], Clarinda, Elmira Murren of near Shambaugh, Ernest O., Clarinda, Laurence K., of Conway, and Elizabeth Willetts, Clarinda.

He leaves two brothers and two sisters who reside in California; twenty grandchildren, and fifteen great-grandchildren.

His chosen life work was farming, which he followed for 60 years, in Illinois, Kansas, and Iowa. The home established last was 3 miles east of College Springs, living there continually for 30 years, excepting 1 year spent in California.

On Nov. 1, 1927, he moved from his farm to Shambaugh, Iowa.

On January 6, 1925, he was united in marriage to Mrs. Carrie B. Lakin of Winner, South Dakota. She passed from this life January 2, 1930.

Services were conducted at the Walker funeral home on Saturday, February 7, at 2 p. m., by Rev. Young of Shambaugh, assisted by Rev. Carl Lyle Windsor, pastor of Clarinda U. B. church.

Interment was made in Clarinda cemetery. The singing was furnished by Mr. and Mrs. Horace Stone. The pall bearers were the two sons, two son-in-laws, and two grandsons. The flower girls were his three grand-daughters and three great-granddaughters.