submitted by: Julia Johnson -

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Monday, November 28, 1921
Sad News
News was received in Bedford last week announcing the death of Mr. and Mrs. Cass Bean's little five-year-old daughter at Omaha with diphtheria. Mr. Bean is a brother of Mrs. C. [layton] M. Paschal of this city and has many friends here who will be grieved to hear of their loss. The little angel was buried at Omaha last Tuesday. The Times extends its deepest sympathy to the bereaved family.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, March 24, 1910
HAWLEYVILLE – Word was received here that Mrs. Bean had died Sunday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. C. [layton] M. Paschal, and she will be laid to rest Tuesday beside her husband in the Hawleyville cemetery.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, March 24, 1910, p. 5
Mrs. Cecilia Bean - Mrs. Cecilia Anthony Bean was born in Milton, N. Y. August 7, 1827.  She was united in marriage to Joel H. [amblin] Bean, Nov. 4, 1852, at Macedon, N. Y.  In 1857, they moved to Iowa, locating in Montgomery County.  They then moved to Page County in 1864, where they resided until Mr. Bean's death in 1896. Mrs. Bean was the mother of five children, two of whom died in infancy. Those remaining to mourn her demise are Mrs. Alice McGuire, Eugene, Ore.; Cass Bean, Omaha; Mrs. C. [layton] M. Paschal, Bedford.
Since Mr. Bean's death the deceased has made her home with her daughter, Mrs. Paschal, in Bedford.  Six years ago, she suffered a stroke of paralysis and for the past two years has been confined to her bed, until death came to her relief Monday.
The funeral services were held at the home of Dr. C. [layton] M. Paschal Tuesday morning, conducted by Rev. D. McMasters, and the remains were taken to Hawleyville for interment.  The bereaved have the sympathy of all.
[Note: The given name is spelled Cecelia on her headstone.]


Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, March 24, 1910, p. 5
Mrs. Cecilia A. Bean - Mrs. Cecilia Anthony Bean died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. C. [layton] M. Paschal, Sunday, March 20, at the age of 82 years. She had been lingering between life and death many months.
Mrs. Bean was born at Milton, N. Y., August 7, 1827, and was married at Macedon, N. Y. November 4, 1852 to Joel H. [amblin] Bean. They came to Montgomery County, Iowa in 1857 and from there they moved to Page County in 1864, at which place they lived until the death of Mr. Bean February 4, 1896. To this union five children were born, one son and four daughters, two of whom died in infancy.  The remaining are Mrs. Alice McGuire of Eugene, Ore., Cass Bean of Omaha, and Mrs. C. [layton] M. Paschal] of Bedford. The funeral services were held at the home of Dr. C. [layton] M. Paschal Tuesday morning at 9 o'clock, conducted by Rev. D. McMasters of the Baptist church, after which the body was taken to Hawleyville and laid to rest in the cemetery of that place.


Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, February 6, 1896
Mrs. Dr. Paschal received word yesterday morning of the death of her father, Mr. Bean, at his home near Hawleyville. Dr. and Mrs. Paschal, accompanied by Rev. J. C. Lewis, went over to Hawleyville yesterday afternoon to be present at the funeral which will be held today.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday February 7, 1896
HAWLEYVILLE – Joel Bean, an old settler of this place, died Tuesday night, Feb. 4, at about 11 o'clock. He leaves a wife, one son and two daughters to mourn his loss. His son, Cass Bean, lived with him. One daughter, May Paschael [Paschal], lives in Bedford. The other daughter, Alice McGuire, lives in Oregon. The family have the sympathy of the community. He was buried Thursday. He was a man that will be much missed.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Tuesday, February 18, 1896
Obituary – Died, after a week's illness, at his home in Hawleyville, Iowa, Feb. 5th, 1896 Joel H. [amblin] Bean.
Mr. Bean was born in Danbury, New Hampshire, August 11, 1821, making him seventy-four years of age last August. He was married Nov. 4, 1852, to Cecilia Anthony of New York, who survives him. Five children were born to them, three of whom are living: Mrs. Dwight McGuire of Oregon, Mrs. Paschal of Bedford and Cass, the only son, who resides at the old home.
Mr. Bean is one of the old settlers of Iowa, having come west in 1856, and living in Hawleyville so many years has become one of its oldest as well as one of its most honored inhabitants, whose loss will be deeply deplored by all here. To his friends he was always courteous, kind and agreeable. In his business relations he was beyond reproach, in his family, the loving husband and father. To the family we extend our heartfelt sympathy in this hour of separation. If clouds have marred the perfect sunshine of life, this is as God wills and to his will we bow submissively, feeling sure 'He doeth all things well."
[Note: The death date on his headstone is February 4, 1896.]

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, October 14, 1909
Mrs. Cass Bean Dead
Many in Bedford will be pained to learn of the death of Mrs. Cass Bean, which occurred at her home in Omaha, Nebr. on Friday evening of last week. Mrs. Bean had been in Bedford most of the summer, visiting her sister-in-law, Mrs. C. [layton] M. Paschal, coming here from Excelsior Springs, Mo. She had been in very poor health while here and about two weeks prior to her death she left for her home, her husband accompanying her. She was about 38 years old and for a number of years she lived with her husband near Hawleyville, Iowa. Her maiden name was Miss Minnie Kendall.
The remains were taken to Villisca for interment Sunday and Mrs. Paschal left here Saturday evening for that place to attend the funeral, returning home Monday. The deceased leaves a husband to mourn her death. He has the sympathy of all who know him.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, October 21, 1909
Death of Mrs. Cass Bean
Mrs. Cass Bean died at her home in Omaha, Friday, October 8, 1909, at the age of 41 years, 3 months and 9 days. Mrs. Bean was formerly Miss Minnie Kendall and was born in Afton, Union county, Iowa. She removed to Villisca with her parents in the spring of 1878 and had lived in Villisca or vicinity until about a year ago when with her husband she moved to Omaha to make her home. Miss Minnie Kendall was married to Mr. Cass Bean in the year 1893. The deceased is survived by a husband, two sisters, Mrs. W. J. Edenfield of Villisca and Mrs. J. E. Rail of Omaha and two brothers, Ben Kendall of near Hawleyville and James R. of near Hepburn and her father, J. H. Kendall, who makes his home with his daughter, Mrs. Edenfield. The cause of Mrs. Bean's death was stomach trouble and Bright's disease. She had been in poor health for more than a year and had been failing in strength all summer. The funeral services were held from the W. J. Edenfield home Sunday afternoon conducted by Rev. Enoch Hill, pastor of the M. E. church, assisted by Elder S. E. Coleman of the Advent Christian church. Interment was in the Villisca cemetery. – Villisca Review.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Tuesday, January 12, 1904
Mrs. Cal Hobson went to Salem, Ia., last week to attend the funeral of her mother, Mrs. Sarah Brown. Mrs. Brown was a very old lady and the cause of her death was pneumonia. An obituary will appear in next issue.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, July 16, 1897
Word was received Monday of the death of Clay Butts, a wealthy farmer living across the line in Page county west of Siam. The deceased was the victim of paralysis, from which he died after about two weeks of suffering. He leaves a wife and several children.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, August 3, 1936
H. G. Cunning – Hiram G. Cunning was born in Page county, Iowa, Jan. 29, 1859, and died July 31, 1936, aged 77 years, 6 months and 2 days. His parents, William and Ruth Cunning, were early settlers of Page county, coming from Ohio in 1855 and settling on a farm southeast of Clarinda where they reared a family of nine children. All have passed on except a brother, Frank, of New Market, and sister, Mrs. Mint Davison of Braddyville.
On April 28, 1892, he was married to Lou Vin Sant [Van Sant] who preceded him in death Oct. 12, 1904. To this union was born one daughter, Mrs. Nina Wamsley.
In June 1914 he married Ida Raynor, who passed on several years later, leaving two daughters, Frances Fielder and Mary Cunning of Clearmont, Mo.
Born of sturdy and industrious pioneers, he exemplified these qualities in his life. His honesty and integrity were never questioned. Quiet and unassuming he made many true friends who mourn with his family the passing of a good man.
The funeral services were held at the Walker Funeral Home last Sunday afataernoon at 2:30. Rev. W. H. Meredith, pastor of the Clarinda Methodist church, was in charge of the service. Burial was in the Clarinda cemetery.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, August 3, 1936
'Hi' Cunning Passed Away, Funeral Sun.
New Market (Special) – Hiram Cunning, 77, passed away Friday morning, July 31, 1936. He leaves 3 daughters, Mrs. Glen Walmsley, Mrs. Guy Fielder of Clarinda and Miss Mary Cunning of Clearmont; a sister, Mrs. Elnita Davison of Braddyville and a brother, Frank, of New Market. He has lived recently at the Taylor County Farm. Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon in Clarinda. Burial in Clarinda cemetery.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, October 14, 1904
Mrs. Lucinda Cunning, aged 42 years, 5 months and 14 days, died from cancer Wednesday and was buried this afternoon. Mrs. Cunning was the wife of Mr. H. [iram] G. [ranville] Cunning.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, October 14, 1904
Mrs. Nancy Cunning, wife of H. [iram] G. [ranville] Cunning, died Wednesday at 12:30 a. m. at her home near Hawleyville. She had been long a sufferer from a cancer. The funeral was held at 11 a. m. today at the family home and the interment takes place in the Clarinda city cemetery.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Tuesday, October 18, 1904
Lucinda Vinsant Cunning – Lucinda Vinsant [Van Sant] Cunning was born April 27, 1861 and departed this life October 12, 1904. She was married to H. [iram] G. [ranville] Cunning, April 27, 1882, and to this union, one child, Nina F. [aye], was born.  Mrs. Cunning was converted and joined the Presbyterian church, of which she has been an active member for twenty-eight years. She was a great sufferer but was patient and bore her pain with Christian fortitude. She often spoke of the peace and rest that awaited her.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, October 21, 1904
Funeral of Mrs. H. G. Cunning
The funeral of the late Mrs. H. [iram] G. [ranville] Cunning took place Friday at the late home of the deceased about three miles northeast of this city. It was largely attended. Rev. W. T. Fisher was the officiating minister. The singers were Mrs. Dot Jackson, Miss Grace Claytor and Orville Johnson. A long procession followed the remains to their interment in the Clarinda City cemetery.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, December 6, 1900
A Tragic and Awful Death
Thomas Everett threw himself under the wheels of a moving freight train which was being switched in the yards of the "Q" depot near East Main street, was the terrible news that circulated on our streets soon after noon Monday. Thomas was a young man about 21 years of age and the son of Mr. and Mrs. H. B. Everett, down near Braddyville. He had been working at the poultry house until about a month or so ago when he went home sick with the brain fever, it is said. He had worked there a short time since, and again went home. Monday morning, he came to the city with his father for medicine and was directed to go and get it. Instead of doing so he went to the depot and seeing the train decided on destroying himself. He was noticed by one of the poultry house boys to take off his coat and make a dash for the moving train. It is said that his head struck the brake or a car while one hand was run over and crushed on the track. Foiled in this attempt he jumped up and lunged head first gain, this time only his other arm being crushed. Being so stunned from the blow on his head he could do no more and was soon picked up and taken to a house nearby when medical aid was called, and the best possible care was given him. He was conscious for a time but gave no reason for his terrible deed. Finally, the numbness left him, and excruciating misery followed. Chloroform and opiates were administered but the pain could not be subdued in his semiconscious condition. Later he was removed to the Killingsworth sanitarium where both arms were amputated. He lingered along till near five o'clock Tuesday morning when death relieved him of all suffering. The gash made on his head was very severe and is said to have caused his sudden death. He had bruises all over him and one of his heels was badly injured. No cause is known for his rash act, although some of his companions say he had talked at times about killing himself but thought nothing of it. It is supposed the sickness from brain fever had unbalanced his mind. It is indeed a terrible blow to his parents, and they have the sympathy of all. The remains were taken home Tuesday night by the heart broken father, the funeral taking place at the family residence at 2 o'clock yesterday, conducted by Rev. Ross, of Braddyville and the remains interred in the College Springs cemetery. – Clarinda Democrat

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, December 22, 1904
Met A Most Tragic Death
Clyde Fine Met With a Fatal Accident While Working With a Clover Huller—Operation Proved Fatal
Clyde Fine, the 22-year-old son of Jasper Fine, the well-known farmer and stockman, residing near Siam, received injuries in a clover huller Dec. 7 and died from the effect of same the following day. Concerning the accident, we take the following from the Braddyville Times:
"Clyde and Elmer Fine were at Ed Miller's place hulling clover, and as Clyde was walking on top of the huller his foot broke through a board. The foot came in contact with the cylinder which was running at full speed. The foot was drawn into the machine, mangling and tearing it in a frightful way. It was unjointed at the ankle and completely severed from the leg. The flesh was severed from the bone and left handing in shreds. Dr. Clark of Shambaugh was called and immediately put him under the influence of chloroform and sent for Dr. Kellogg of Clarinda. After a thorough examination, they decided that an amputation would be the only chance for his life, so the leg was taken off at the knee. The young man was unable to stand the shock and died at 6 o'clock.
Relatives of the young man in Hopkins tell the Journal that the boys were finishing the last job of the season and were jubilant over the prospects of soon getting home to enjoy Christmas time, which makes the terrible accident even more sad. – Hopkins Journal

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Tuesday, October 18, 1904
Clarinda Citizen Suicides Last Saturday Morning Sam Freeman Ends His Life by the Carbolic Acid Route
Sam Freeman, a laborer living in west Clarinda, committed suicide last Saturday morning by drinking carbolic acid. He had been having trouble for some time with his family and had threatened to take his own life, saying that 15 cents would put him out of the way. Saturday morning, his son Oscar started up town and had gone but a short distance from the yard, when his father, who was standing by the well on the south side of the house called to him and walked down toward the front of the yard and the boy turning saw his father take a bottle from his pocket and removing the cork drank the contents and turning, entered the house and sat down in a chair. The doctor was summoned as quickly as possible but by the time the doctor reached him, he had nearly succumbed to the effect of the acid. He died about noon and was buried at 12 o'clock yesterday. The deceased was born in Ohio in 1852 and came to Iowa with his parents in 1855 and was married to Miss Mary Pitzer in 1876. He leaves a wife and twelve children and several brothers and sisters and also his parents who live near Gravity.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, October 21, 1904
Samuel Freeman Drinks Poison
Swallows Carbolic Acid Which Quickly Takes Fatal Effect
Samuel Freeman, whose home was in the northwestern part of this city, drank carbolic acid a little after 11 o'clock last Saturday forenoon, from which he died at about fifteen minutes before noon of that day.
It was a case of plainly evident intentional self-destruction. Coroner Parriott held an inquest over the remains.
The deceased is survived by his widow and twelve children.
The funeral was held Monday noon, conducted by Rev. W. T. Fisher.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, February 24, 1930
Mrs. H. B. Gates – The word seems to have been slow in reaching Clarinda of the death of Mrs. H. [enry] B. [yron] Gates, wife of conductor Gates and a former Clarinda resident, who was active in Red Cross work here during the early part of the war. Conductor Gates railway "run" having been changed, they moved to St. Joseph and later to Kansas City, where Mrs. Gates passed away Feb. 6th, interment being made two days later in St. Joseph. Her death followed a six weeks stay in St. Mary's Hospital at Kansas City. The daughter, Mrs. Helen Kiley, has been living with her parents in Kansas City and continues there, to make a home for her father, whose Clarinda friends take this means of expressing sympathy in his hour of bereavement.

[HARDEE, WILLIAM, 1815- 1902]
Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, June 6, 1902
William Hardee was born in Henry county, Ky., May 2, 1815. When 11 years of age he moved with his parents to Indiana. Residing there until 1841 he then moved to Buchanan township, Page county, Ia. and in the spring of 1842 pre-empted the farm on which he has ever since resided. In Indiana he was married to Eliza Ann Naurma Forley. To them were born five sons and five daughters. His wife died ten years ago last January. He passed peacefully way at 9:45 a. m., May 29, age 87 years and 27 days. Four sons and three daughters survive him. Funeral services were conducted at Oak Grove church in Buchanan township at 2 p. m., May 30, by Will H. Harris of Stanberry, Mo., assisted by Will O. Hutchings of Clarinda. At the grave the services were conducted by the Masonic fraternity in accordance with the beautiful and impressive ritualistic work of that order. Mr. Hardee had been a Mason for thirty years and a member of the Christian church for eighteen years. He was an unique character, tall and of commanding presence; a giant in strength and when in the prime and vigor of his earlier manhood, his superior in physical prowess was rarely found. Owing to the frequent changes made in the Iowa-Missouri boundary line of forty years ago he had lived in two states and three counties without changing his abiding place; and his oldest child was the first born in Page county.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Tuesday, October 18, 1904
Charley C. Harvison – Charley C. Harvison, age 13 years, one month, died Saturday in Braddyville at the home of his aunt, Mrs. Frank Worley and was brought to Clarinda and buried Sunday. Charley had not been enjoying the best of health and as he had a very strong desire to be back to Clarinda, his former home, his father, John Harvison, decided to move his family here, more to please his boy than for his own convenience. Mr. Harvison, who has a position in the United States prison at Leavenworth, Kans., moved his family to Clarinda last Wednesday. He had decided to move the family here, while he himself would be obliged to live there in order to hold his position. Mrs. Harvison and her son, Charley, had gone down to Braddyville to visit Mr. Harvison's sister and while there Charley, after taking a little exercise, complained of being a little tired and lying down to rest, he was soon breathing away his life as if in a deep slumber and it was but a few minutes until he had crossed the silent river of death to the shore where we trust the angels were waiting to welcome him home. He had been troubled with sugar diabetes which was the cause of his death. Rev. Jackson preached the funeral sermon at the residence Sunday afternoon at 4 p. m. and the body laid to its rest in the cemetery north of town.
The sympathy of a large circle of friends goes out to these grief-stricken parents, whose cup of sorrow seems to be filled to overflowing. They having lost another son in the Missouri river a few years ago, whose body was never recovered.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, October 14, 1904
Mrs. Lydia Margaret Hobson, wife of Calvin Hobson, died Sunday, Oct. 9, 1904, at the Ensworth Deaconess hospital at St. Joseph, Mo., where she and her husband were both receiving treatment for their ailments. Before going to St. Joseph, they had spent two weeks at the springs at Burlington, Mo. They had been in St. Joseph one week when Mrs. Hobson's death took place. She died of paralysis. With her at the time of her death, besides her husband, were two of their children, Clinton Hobson and Mrs. H. [enry] B. [yron] Gates. Their third child, Charles Hobson, went from here to St. Joseph Monday morning and the remains of the late Mrs. Hobson were accompanied to Clarinda Monday evening by the surviving husband, sons and daughter and the latter's husband. Calvin Hobson was in a feeble condition at the time of the death of his wife and while it appeared like too great an undertaking for him to attempt to return to this city, he was so anxious to come that he made the effort to do so and did. The sorrowing relatives arrived here with the remains on the evening train over the Burlington route from St. Joseph and were met at the Clarinda station by numerous sympathetic friends. The maiden name of the late Mrs. Hobson was Brown. She was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Brown and was born on the home farm of her parents near Salem, Henry county, Ia., Feb. 18, 1847, and so died at the age of fifty-seven years. She was married May 10, 1866, on the same farm where she was born, to Calvin Hobson. The homes of the parents of the bride and groom of that date were only two miles apart and as little children the future husband and wife often played together. Under these circumstances it was but natural for them to feel that they had always known each other. Mr. and Mrs. Hobson lived for a few months in Nebraska, where Mr. Hobson took a claim and intended to make his home, but the grasshoppers interfered with his plans to such an extent that he and his family located in Hamburg, Ia., where they remained for a time and twenty-two years ago last spring left that place and came to Clarinda and here has been their home continually from that time. Mrs. Hobson was raised a Quaker but afterwards became a Presbyterian and was long a member of the Presbyterian church of this city. Mrs. Hobson was an earnest Christian lady, helpful in the work of the church and one whose kindly ways gained and kept for her many friends. Her death is widely mourned. The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon at the family home on north Fifteenth street and was largely attended. Aside from her immediate family and relatives living here there were present her daughter, Etta and husband, H.[enry] B. [yron] Gates, of St. Joseph, and a brother of the deceased, Z. Brown of Hamburg. The funeral was conducted by Rev. J. N. Maclean, pastor of the Presbyterian church, of which Mrs. Hobson died a member, who spoke from the Twenty-third Psalm, a favorite portion of the Bible to her. At the conclusion of Mr. Maclean's remarks the services were continued under the auspices of Warren post No. 11, with Mrs. J. P. Brown as president. The music was by Mr. and Mrs. E. G. McCutchan, Miss Bertha Loranz and Otis Lucas, with Mrs. Henry Loranz as pianist. The hymns sung were "Asleep in Jesus" and "Come Ye Disconsolate." The pallbearers were Mrs. John Tidball, Mrs. Josephine Weber, Mrs. Cash Waterman, Mrs. C. G. Johnson, Mrs. D. C. Chamberlain and Mrs. W. A. Henderson; the active pallbearers Rev. W. T. Fisher and Messrs. John Tidball, W. A. Henderson, John Groeilng, C. G. Johnson and W. H. Burwell. From the house to the hearse the casket containing the remains was carried between lines of ladies of the relief corps and passed under the American flag supported by officers of the corps. Many flowers were sent to the home by friends, members of the Presbyterian church, societies, and among them were remembrances from each member of the room in the public schools taught by Miss Fanny Orth. Clarinda chapter, No. 214, O. E. S., sent flowers, the late Mrs. Hobson's son, Charles Hobson and wife, being members of that order. The interment was in the city cemetery. Mrs. Hobson realized that her death seemed near and expressed wishes in regard to the details of her funeral that were carried out as she had planned them.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, December 28, 1899
A. N. Journey Passes Away
Wednesday, December 20, at 9 p. m., the spirit of A. [mos] N. [oah] Journey took its flight from its tenement of clay. Mr. Journey was a kind and indulgent father, a loving and affectionate husband and a warm, devoted friend. We understand he leaves a wife and eight children. The funeral services were held in one of the Shambaugh churches on Friday, after which the body was interred in the cemetery three miles northeast of Shambaugh. We are not in possession of Mr. Journey's life history.


Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, August 5, 1904
James Madison Kelly – James Madison Kelly, who died at his home in East River township, Monday afternoon, Aug. 1, 1904, aged 69 years, 6 months and 27 days, was born Jan. 4, 1835, in Clark county, Ind. In 1840 he emigration to Johnston county, Ind. On Oct. 19, 1856, he emigrated again to Page county, Ia., and settled near Hawleyville. He was united in marriage to Miss Mary A. Tetrick, who survives and mourns the loss of a dear, good husband and kind and affectionate father. Nine children were born of this union, three of whom, Florence, Walter and Willie, died in infancy. The six surviving children are Mrs. Clara Duncan of near New Market, Mrs. Alice McKinnon of Clarinda, Mrs. Lillie Brown of Rushville, Neb., Charley Kelly of near Clarinda, Ed Kelly of Hawleyville and Wilbur, the youngest and only unmarried member of the family, resides at the home of his parents. All the children and grandchildren were present at the funeral of the father. He has been a constant and consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church for thirty-eight years, having united with that denomination in 1869 at Hawleyville. James M. Kelly is the eldest of four brothers—S. [amuel] P. [atterson] of Villisca, Ia., who was at the bedside of his brother in his last illness; T. [homas] J. Kelly of Washington, Kan.; N.[ewton] Dickey] Kelly of Bedford, Ia., and one sister, Margaret J. [ane] Peterman, also of Bedford. James M. Kelly was one of those rare good men who loved his home and family, a man highly esteemed and highly spoke of by all who knew him; a conscientious Christian; an ideal husband and father, and an A 1 citizen. He has been school director in the district in which he lived for many years and did the duty devolving on him as such director with earnestness and ability. He became afflicted about three weeks ago with carbuncles on the back of his neck, which, in connection with diabetes, caused his death. He was often heard to eulogize his neighbors and took life as it came, always cheerful. He complained not even when suffering untold pain. In the death of James Kelly Page county has lost a pioneer citizen and numerous relatives and friends mourn sincerely his departure. Peace to his ashes.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Tuesday, March 8, 1904
YORKTOWN – The baby boy of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Kepner died on Saturday last at their home near Gravity and the remains were brought here that evening to the home of Frank Patterson, Mrs. Kepner's father. The funeral services were held Sunday and the interment took place in the Summit cemetery. It was their only child and the stricken parents have the sympathy of all. Mr. Kepner spent her childhood among this people.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, March 10, 1904
Lost a Child
The two-year-old daughter [son] of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Kepner, who live near New Market, died yesterday afternoon about 2 o'clock. The little one had congestion of the lungs. The relatives and friends met this afternoon for a short service at the house, from which place the body was taken to Yorktown for burial.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, September 30, 1954
Sam Kepner - Samuel Kepner, son of Oscar and Susan Kepner, was born April 30, 1876 in Juanita [Juniata] county, Pennsylvania, and died September 10, 1954 in Clarinda.
When a young man he came to Page county and had spent the most of his life near Yorktown and Clarinda.
In 1900 he was married to Jessie Patterson of Yorktown, and one son, who died in early infancy, was born to them.
Mr. Kepner was a member of the Methodist church of Yorktown.
He leaves to mourn one sister, Maud Kepner, Los Angeles, Calif; a half-sister, Della Endley of Winfield, Pa; two half-brothers, Dorris Ranck of Lenox and Mason Ranck of McMinnville, Ore, and an uncle D S Pennebaker of Lenox.
Services were held at the Walker Funeral Home at 2 p m Saturday, Sept 11, with Rev T John Kess in charge. Aletha Hutchings was at the organ. Bearers were Harry Stout, Carl Gillespie, William Campbell, Forest Wynn, Willis D Weaver and Loren Davison. Burial in Summitt cemetery near Yorktown, by the side of his wife and son.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Tuesday, October 18, 1904
A Sad Accident William Laub Kicked by a Horse, Receiving Injuries That Caused His Death
Last Saturday evening Mr. Will Laub, a farmer living near Braddyville, was kicked in the left side by one of his horses. It seems that Mr. Laub had been trying to keep the horse in the stable but it had forced its way past him once or twice and caused him quite a little trouble and finally he got it in the barn again and in going past the horse to go out of the barn the horse kicked him in the left side, causing internal injuries, although he did not realize himself in a serious condition at first. The doctor was summoned at once, but the injuries were internal and of such a nature that nothing could be done and yesterday afternoon Dr. Killingsworth was sent for, but Mr. Laub was dying by the time he reached him. He died Sunday evening about 7:30. Mr. Frank Vardaman who was a neighbor of Mr. Laub, informed us that before his death Mr. Laub was considered one of the strongest men in that locality. Mr. Laub was a man between 35 and 40 years of age. He leaves a wife and three children to mourn his sudden death.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, October 20, 1904
Wm. Laub of Buchanan township was kicked in the side by a horse Saturday evening and died Sunday. He was a son of Henry Laub and about thirty years of age.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, October 21, 1904
Farmer Dies From Kick of Horse. Death of William Laub of Buchanan
William Laub of Buchanan township died Sunday evening, Oct. 16, 1904, from the effects of being kicked by a horse as he passed it in his stable the previous Friday evening. Mr. Laub was attending to work in the barn at the time and it is said had found the animal troublesome but was not anticipating any further immediate difficulty. It appears that Mr. Laub was thus off his guard.
Mr. Laub was a good man, highly respected, and his death deprives Page county of a useful citizen and one who possessed many friends.
He was a son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Laub and was born on the Buchanan township homestead of his parents just 38 years and 17 days prior to his death, which took place near where he was born. His home was in section 14 where he was pursuing the life of an industrious, prosperous farmer.
He is survived by his widow, who before her marriage was Miss Bessie McFarland. She is a daughter of William McFarland, an old resident of Buchanan township and who has also resided in Clarinda. Two children, a son, Arthur, and a daughter, Lena, were also left by Mr. Laub. Other surviving relatives are his parents, three brothers, Charles Laub, Arthur L. Laub, Elda L. Laub, and one sister, Mrs. Ed Fleming, all of near Sheridan, Wyo. and brothers, George Laub and J. D. Laub, in Buchanan township.
The funeral was held at the family home, Wednesday, at 2 o'clock p. m., conducted by Rev. M. S. Jamieson of Braddyville. The burial was in the Shearer cemetery.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, October 14, 1904
Mrs. Phoebe C. [atharine] Lyman, wife of Charles Lyman died yesterday afternoon at their home in Nodaway township, east of Clarinda. She had been in ill health for some time. The late Mrs. Lyman was born in Ohio. She was the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Job Loy, who long resided in Clarinda. Two children, a daughter, Wilma, and a son, Harry, survive with the husband and father, and will have the sympathy of a very large circle of friends in their sorrow. The funeral will be held at 10 o'clock tomorrow morning at the home, conducted by Rev. W. W. Merritt of Red Oak. The burial will be in the Clarinda city cemetery.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Tuesday, October 18, 1904
Mrs. Phoebe Catharine Lyman – Miss Phoebe Catharine Loy was born in Ohio March 7, 1852 and when she was but three years of age she moved to Iowa, where she grew to womanhood. She was married to Charles Lyman in 1871 and since that time Mr. and Mrs. Lyman have continued to live in Clarinda. Mrs. Lyman died at her home east of Clarinda Thursday at 3 o'clock p. m. and was buried Saturday morning at 10 o'clock. The funeral services were held at the home conducted by Rev. W. W. Merritt of Red Oak. Mrs. Lyman leaves a husband and two children to mourn her death.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, October 21, 1904
Mrs. Charles Lyman Laid to Rest
The funeral of the late Mrs. Charles Lyman, held last Saturday from the family home east of this city, was very largely attended. The procession to the city cemetery was notably long—probably one of the longest that ever wended its way to that resting place for the dead up to that day. According to the announcement published in The Journal of last Friday, Rev. W. W. Merritt of Red Oak officiating at the funeral. The singers were Mrs. Dot Jackson, Miss Grace Claytor, Willie Jackson, jr., and Glen Foster.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Tuesday, May 27, 1902
The many friends of Mrs. W. [illiam] H. Marley, living two miles north of Clarinda, were shocked to learn of her sudden death, which occurred at her home Monday morning at 4:30 o'clock. Mrs. Marley was fifty-one years of age and seemingly in perfect health until about 4 o'clock yesterday morning when she awakened with a pain in her side which rapidly grew worse until the time of her death. The doctors are inclined to believe that her death was caused by the bursting of a blood vessel in the abdomen.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, June 12, 1902
--Mr. and Mrs. Norval Reeves and Mr. and Mrs. Miles Shore went to Clarinda Wednesday to attend the funeral of Mrs. William Marley, a cousin of Mr. Reeves and Mrs. Shore.

Lincoln Journal Star (Lincoln, Nebraska), Wednesday, January 24, 1945
MASON – William Charles Mason, 68, 2745 Q, died Tuesday. Surviving are his wife, Ida; three sons, Bert, Charles W., and Forrest, all of Lincoln; daughter, Mrs. Margaret A. Baker, Lincoln; two sisters, Mrs. Julia Smith, Blue Springs, Neb. and Mrs. Florence Frank, Portland, Ore.; nine grandchildren and two great grandchildren. Roper & Sons.
[Note: The same death notice was published in the Nebraska State Journal, January 25, 1945.]

Lincoln Star (Lincoln, Nebraska), Wednesday, January 24, 1945
W. C. Mason, Lincoln Druggist, Is Dead
William Charles Mason, 68, druggist, died Tuesday night in a local hospital. His home was at 2745 Q street.
A druggist since 1904, Mr. Mason operated the drug store at Twenty-second and Vine street, at 1122 N street and for the past few years was employed at the drugstore at Thirty-third and Holdrege. He had lived in Lincoln 31 years and was a resident of this state 45 years.
Surviving are his wife, Ida G., sons, Bert, Charles W. and Forrest A., all of Lincoln; daughter, Margaret A. Baker, Lincoln; two sisters, Mrs. Julia Smith, Blue Springs, Neb., and Mrs. Florence Frank, Portland, Oregon; nine grandchildren and two great grandchildren.

Lincoln Star (Lincoln, Nebraska), Friday, January 26, 1945
Mason, William Charles – Services Friday afternoon at Roper & Sons, Rev. J. E. Jarboe officiating. Burial in Lincoln Memorial Park.

Nebraska State Journal (Lincoln, Nebraska), Thursday, October 20, 1910
W. H. Mason Dead
William H. [ays] Mason, aged sixty-nine, died at 10 o'clock last night at his home, 835 North Twenty-second street. The funeral services will be held today at 4 p. m. at the home in charge of the G. A. R. The body will be taken on Friday to Clarinda, Ia., for interment. Mr. Mason leaves a wife. Two married daughters live at North Platte.

Lincoln Star (Lincoln, Nebraska), Thursday, October 20, 1910
William H. [ays] Mason, aged 69, died Wednesday evening at 10 o'clock at his home, 835 North Twenty-second street. Funeral services were held Thursday afternoon at the residence, in charge of the members of Farragut post No. 25, G. A. R. The body will be taken Friday to Clarinda, Ia., for interment.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, August 6, 1896
Mrs John McKinley died at her home southeast of the city Monday evening, after an illness of eight weeks from rheumatism and heart trouble. She was a good old lady, and all mourn her unexpected death. The funeral took place this afternoon, conducted by a United Brethren minister from Blockton, and her remains laid to rest in the city cemetery. 

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, August 7, 1896
Mrs James McKinley died at her home, three miles southeast of Clarinda, last Monday, and was buried from the residence at three o'clock Wednesday afternoon. She had been sick for about two months, attended by her daughter from Colorado, but heart failure was the immediate cause of her death. Deceased was sixty years old, and left four children, three sons and one daughter. One son, George, is proprietor of the brickyard southeast of town. Mrs McKinley is spoken of by her neighbors as a most excellent lady and a model neighbor. 

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, August 7, 1896
Mrs Elizabeth McKinley, wife of J. [ohn] L. McKinley, died Monday, the 3d inst., at 4 pm, at their home about three miles southeast of this city. The maiden name of the deceased was Chwartz [Schwartz]. She was a native of Pennsylvania and attained the age of 60 years, 9 months and 10 days. In 1853 she was married to J. [ohn] L. McKinley, and that year she and her husband left Pennsylvania and located in Illinois. Four years later they moved to Kansas and took a homestead near Topeka. In 1858 they moved from Kansas to Afton, Ia., and after staying there one year went to West Point, now Dana, Mo., where they remained during the civil war, on the Missouri-Kansas border, loyal Union people in the midst of great danger. In 1866 they came to Page county, Ia., locating on the farm where she died, and where they had lived so many years. She leaves her husband, three sons, G. [eorge] S. McKinley, of Clarinda, W. [illiam] F. McKinley, near Pitkin, Colo., John A. [rthur] McKinley, near Cripple Creek, Col., and one daughter, Mrs M. [argaret] A. [lice] Pearson, also near Pitkin, Col. The funeral was held Wednesday, at 2 pm, from the family residence, conducted by Rev C. Miller of Blockton, Ia., pastor of the United Brethren church, of which organization she was a member. The burial was in the Clarinda cemetery. Mrs McKinley was a very estimable lady.


Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, November 17, 1904
Died, at the home of his son, George McKinley, on Thursday night, November 10, J.[ohn] L. McKinley, aged 75 years, 1 month and 21 days. The funeral services were conducted at the home Saturday morning by Rev Thompson, after which the remains were taken to Clarinda for interment by the side of his wife, who preceded him some time ago The deceased leaves three sons, George S., Bedford; William, Alamosa, Col., J. [ohn] A.[rthur] Cripple Creek; and one daughter, Mrs Maggie Pierson, Pitkin, Colorado. 

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, November 17, 1904
J. [ohn] L. McKinley died Thursday night at 11:30 at the home of his son, George, in Bedford, Iowa, of heart disease after an illness of two weeks, age 75 years, 1 month and 21 days.
The deceased was born in Juniata county, Pennsylvania, Sept 19th, 1829, and remained there until he attained manhood's estate. In 1853 he removed to Indiana, where he remained four years, when, hearing of the golden promises that about that time were being made to those who would emigrate to Kansas, he decided to try his luck on the frontier, and so moved west and settled near Topeka. After three years experience on a homestead in what was then "Bleeding Kansas" he decided it was no place in which to rear his family and came back to Iowa. Later he spent a few years in Missouri and then in March 1867 located at Clarinda, where he spent the balance of his active business life.
During all his mature life he was a miller by trade and worked at this business in all the different states where he located. For nine years, he run the Shambaugh mills, which are located near Clarinda, and are known all over the southern part of the state. A few years ago, he decided to retire from the milling business, and owning a farm near Clarinda, he moved on it and remained there until three years ago when he came to Bedford where he has since made his home with his son, George.
Fifty-one years ago in Pennsylvania he was united in marriage to the wife who was his constant companion and true helpmeet, during all the after journeys of his life and up to Aug 3, 1896, when the Angel of Death called her hence. Nearly half a century they journeyed together, bearing each other's burdens, sharing each with the other their joys. Death alone tore them asunder, and death has again united them in the land of eternal sunshine, where sorrow and partings are unknown.
During their wedded life, six children came to bless their home. Two were called away in infancy, and four remain to mourn their loss. The eldest is George, who resides in Bedford and with whom the father spent his last days. A daughter Mrs Maggie Pierson, lives in Pitkin, Colo., William resides at Alamosa, Colo and J. [ohn] A. [rthur] at Cripple Creek in the same state.
The funeral services will be held tomorrow at 11 am, conducted by Rev. Thompson. Immediately thereafter the cortege will depart for Clarinda, where the body will be interred beside that of his wife.

Bedford Times-Republican (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, November 17, 1904
The funeral of J. [ohn] L. McKinley, deceased was held Saturday at 11 am, at the home of his son, Geo. McKinley, conducted by Rev. W. B. Thompson. The attendance was as large as the rooms would accommodate. Immediately after the funeral the cortege left for Gravity where the body was put on the train and shipped to Clarinda and interred by the side of that of his wife. 

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, November 18, 1904
John L. McKinley, a former resident of Page county, died Thursday, Nov. 10, 1904, at the home of his son, Mayor G. [eorge] S. McKinley at Bedford. Funeral services were held at Mayor McKinley's home, Saturday, Nov. 12, conducted by Rev. W. B. Thompson, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church at Bedford, after which the remains were brought to this city, arriving here Saturday evening, and were taken to the residence of M. Rambach. They were accompanied here by Mr. and Mrs. G.[eorge] S. McKinley and their little son, Harry, and by Mrs. Margaret A. [lice] Pearson who came from Bedford. A short service was held at the residence of Mr. Rambach, Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. W. T. Fisher, pastor of the Christian church, officiating, after which the burial took place in the Clarinda city cemetery. The remains were deposited in a grave beside those of the wife of the deceased, who died August 3, 1896. The late John L. McKinley was born in Juniata county, Pa., Sept. 19, 1829. He was married in 1854 to Miss Elizabeth Schwartz in the county of his birth. Possessed of an inclination to seek a new home, he sojourned for a time in the states of Michigan, Indiana, Kansas and Missouri, and then, in 1867 came to Page county to enter the employ of James Shambaugh as his miller at the Shambaugh flour mill in East River township near Clarinda, Mr. McKinley remained there as miller for Mr. Shambaugh for the period of nine years. In 1869 he bought the 160 acres farm in East River township now owned by C. O. Clark. He left the farm in 1883 and went to Pitkin, Col., where he resided for a time, then returned to East River township and bought another farm near the Pinhook school house, where he resided for some years. Two children born to Mr. and Mrs. McKinley died in infancy; four children survive as follows: G. [eorge] S. McKinley, Bedford, Ia.; Mrs. Margaret A. [lice] Pearson, wife of John F. Pearson, Pitkin, Col.; William McKinley, Alamosa, Col.; and J. [ohn] A. [rthur] McKinley, Cripple Creek, Col. He was long a Christian, having united with the Methodist Episcopal church in Isadora, Mo., about the year 1866. He was for a time a member of the church of that denomination in Clarinda. One of the incidents in his career was that in the time of the civil war that while his occupation exempted him from military service, he happened to be drafted to join the Union army, but when he went before the army officials at Maryville, Mo. and told them his occupation, that of miller, they refused to permit him to serve as a soldier, sending him back to his mill with the admonition to continue the making of  flour. He was a good and useful man. Survivors among the pioneers of Page county, who knew him, their companion in pioneer life, as well as those who formed his acquaintance later, will regret his death and join in sympathy with the sorrowing relatives. G. [eorge] S. McKinley informs The Journal that his father was ill only a few days, and that he died of heart trouble. He also desires through The Journal to express the thanks of the McKinley family for the kindly acts done for them by friends at the time of the death and burial of the father.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, April 16, 1928
Alice A. McKinnon – Alice A. Kelley [Kelly], the third child of James M. [adison] and Mary A. Kelley [Kelly], was born in East River township, Page county, Iowa, June 17, 1863 and departed this life April 11, 1928, aged 64 years, 9 months and 24 days.
At an early age she professed here trust in her Savior and throughout the years has lived her faith.
On Oct. 12, 1878, she was united in marriage with William Plank and to this union were born three children, Ralph Wesley, Anna Pearl (Mrs. Good), and Inez May (Mrs. Nelson). Death claimed the father in 1887. On Oct. 31, 1888, she united in marriage with Thomas Jefferson McKinnon, who, in 1903, preceded her in death. To this union came three other children, Nettie, Neva and Neil. There are two sisters and three brothers, Mrs. Clara Duncan, Mrs. Lillie Brown, C. W. Kelley, E. A. Kelley and W. T. Kelley and eight grandchildren, who, with the children named, mourn their loss.
Resolutely she struggled to train, care for and educate her family until they became capable of caring for themselves. A busy life cannot be easily laid down and she continued in her chosen work of nursing. A tender hand, a sympathetic heart and the will to help, lightened the suffering of many to whom she ministered in the twenty years devoted to this work.
Her life has been one of true service. She counted that day lost wherein she found not the opportunity to do some act of kindness. Her life has been a blessing and her memory will be a benediction.
Funeral services were held Saturday afternoon at 3 o'clock at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Neva Keener, 107 East Garfield street, B. F. Hall in charge. Andy Mitchell sang two solos, Mrs. Hoskinson accompanying. Burial was in the Clarinda cemetery. 

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Tuesday, October 18, 1904
John McLean – Another pioneer has joined the great majority. After a long illness, borne with Christian fortitude and patience, John McLean died at his residence in northeast Clarinda on Friday afternoon, October 14, 1904, in the eighty-fifth year of his age. The funeral took place Sunday afternoon and was largely attended. The service was conducted by Rev. J. N. Maclean of the Presbyterian church, assisted by Rev. W. T. Fisher of the Christian church. The large attendance testified to the esteem with which the deceased was regarded in the community.
Mr. McLean was born in North Carolina March 28, 1820. When about 21 years of age he moved to Indiana, where he resided for several years, first in Franklin, then in Indianapolis and lastly in the neighborhood of Franklin. When the Mexican war broke out, he volunteered for military service and spent one year in the army in Mexico. He returned to Indiana in 1847 and the following year was married to Catharine M. McAlpin, who has been his devoted wife through all the subsequent years.
In April 1855, Mr. and Mrs. McLean, with their children, came to Iowa and settled in Hawleyville, then the principal place in the county. There they lived for twenty years, removing to Clarinda in 1875—grasshopper year—and after a few months' time, removed to Texas, where they resided until 1889. That year they returned to Clarinda, where they have since resided.
The greater part of these latter years, Mr. McLean has been a confirmed invalid. For the last four years he has been confined to his bed, paralyzed in body but clear in mind and patient, hopeful and faithful in spirit. His end was peaceful as becomes a righteous man, and his memory is blessed.
Mr. Maclean has quite a unique record as a churchman. He was born and brought up in a Presbyterian home among the Scotch of North Carolina and has always been a staunch Presbyterian. When he moved to Indiana, he identified himself with the First Presbyterian church of Franklin and was soon elected a deacon. When he lived in the country, in the neighborhood of Franklin, a Presbyterian church was organized there—the Prospect church—and he became one of the charter members and was made one of its first elders. That was forty-nine years ago last June. In 1862 a Presbyterian church was organized in Hawleyville and again he became a charter member and one of its first elders. In 1878 a Presbyterian church was organized in Taylor, Texas, and for the fourth time he became a charter member and an elder in a new Presbyterian church. He was true to his convictions, loyal to his own church, though no bigot, and was convinced of the supreme importance of religion for the community as well as for the individual.
Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs. McLean, six of them, with their mother, still living to cherish the memory of this good man. Such men as Mr. McLean have done more for the real welfare and development of these great western commonwealths than may appear on the surface. Strength and faithfulness were the girdle of their loins.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, October 21, 1904
John McLean – John McLean, a pioneer citizen of Page county, who came here about fifty years ago and located at Hawleyville, died at his home in this city, Friday afternoon, Oct. 14, 1904, at 2:55 o'clock. He had been an invalid for the last ten years of his life, partially paralyzed up to the last four or four and one-half years and for the latter period so paralyzed that he was helpless and unable to move himself. During the long time in which he was seriously afflicted the late Mr. McLean was tenderly cared for by the immediate members of his family. His son-in-law, T. G. Searl, was among those who attended him and willingly arranged his business so that he could be of service to his father-in-law and help the others in making the beloved relative as comfortable as possible. In the years of his activity Mr. McLean was exceedingly helpful and kindly to his family and in all ways was such a noble man that in his helplessness those about him pained by his troubles and loving him dearly, affectionately gave him the continual care he required; so, as he passed away they mourned for the absent one and found the parting hard.
Mr. McLean was a devoted Christian, who so put his Christian faith in works that from all he had respect. He left a good name and of him it may be sincerely said that the world was better for his having lived in it. His was one of two families who founded the Presbyterian church of Clarinda. Mr. McLean was a charter member and one of the first ruling elders of three other Presbyterian churches.
Mr. McLean was born in 1820 in North Carolina. He was married at Franklin, Ind., fifty-six years ago, to Melissa McAlpin. About six years later they came from Indiana to Hawleyville. In his working days Mr. McLean was a carpenter. Several houses in Clarinda were constructed by him. About ten years of his life were devoted to bridge building in Page and Taylor counties and The Journal is told that one of the bridges over the Nodaway river in Page county was built by him.
In 1875 Mr. McLean and family went to Texas. They were there until the year 1889, when they returned to Clarinda. In Texas Mr. McLean was at Taylor with the exception of one year which he spent near Austin. From 1889 continuously until his death Mr. McLean and family resided in Clarinda.
The late Mr. McLean, who reached the ripe age of 84 years, is survived by his widow, seven years his junior, and in feeble health and by the following children: Mrs. T. [homas] G. [reenfield] Searl, Clarinda; Mrs. Martin Comstock, Thorndale, Tex.; Mrs. J. [ames] R. Thomas, San Gabriel, Tex.; Marshall McLean, Oak, Neb.; Ulysses McLean, Houston, Tex.; and Burder McLean, Clarinda. Fifteen grandchildren are also among the surviving relatives.
The funeral was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. T. [homas] G. [reenfield] Searl, near the McLean family home, in Richardson's addition, Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, conducted by Rev. J. N. Maclean, pastor of the Presbyterian church, of which the deceased died a member, Mr. Maclean being assisted by Rev. W. T. Fisher, pastor of the Christian church. The music was by Mr. and Mrs. E. G. McCutchan, Miss Bertha Loranz and Tom Brown. Mrs. Henry Loranz presided at the piano. The pallbearers were Henry Loranz, Dr. J. P. Brown, Professor J. A. Woods, G. Wm. Richardson, C. W. Bisbee and John Gilchrist.
The attendance at the funeral was large, both town and country being well represented and among those present were neighbors of the McLean family of approximately fifty years standing.
On the casket as borne from the house was a ripe sheaf of wheat, expressive of the ripened age of the departed.
The burial was in the Clarinda city cemetery.
From a Presbyterian church standpoint, a sketch of the life of John McLean appears in the "History of Presbyterianism in Corning Presbytery," which, with a little more definite detail in regard to dates added shows the following:
"John McLean was born in North Carolina, March 18, 1820. He first emigrated to Indiana about 1842, living for a time in Franklin, where he was a member of and deacon in Dr. J. G. Monfort's church. For a short time, he lived in Indianapolis, a member of the First Presbyterian church, Dr. Gurley pastor. Returning to Franklin he shortly afterwards moved into the country and helped to organize the Prospect church. He was elected, ordained and installed a member of its first session. He moved to Iowa, April 1855, first settling at Hawleyville, then the principal town of the county. When the church at Clarinda was organized, June 1855, he and his wife were two of the five charter members. Again was he elected a ruling elder and with B. B. Hutton formed the session of the new church. When the church at Hawleyville was organized, March 29, 1862, he and his wife were transferred to that church, helped to organize it and the third time was elected and installed as an elder in a new church. In 1875 he removed to Clarinda. This was 'grasshopper' year and finding nothing to do at his trade (he was a carpenter) he went to Greenfield, Ia., spent some months there, then removed with his family to Texas, remaining there until 1899 [1889]. While there he helped organize the church at Taylor, Tex., 1878, and for the fourth time was made a ruling elder in a newly organized church."
About two years ago, Dr. T. C. Smith, a former pastor of the late Mr. McLean, wrote concerning him as follows:
"I have known Brother McLean for years and have ever found him faithful, conscientious and in the last period of his life, evidently ripening for Heaven. I have been glad to count him my friend and as far as his health and strength permitted, a helper in Christ's work. He lived to see a weak cause grow strong, an uninhabited country grow populous and God permitted him to perform no small part in each."
Mr. McLean served his country as a soldier in the Mexican war. He left Indianapolis for the war, July 4, 1846; returned home July 4, 1847 and was married July 4, 1848.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, January 19, 1942
Bert McLean Funeral Is Held Here Saturday Afternoon
Funeral services were held at the Walker funeral home Saturday afternoon for Bert McLean, 71, who died at the home of his son, John, in Des Moines Thursday. Although in failing health for the past two years he became seriously ill only two days before his death. Rev Ellsworth Woods, pastor of the Church of Christ, was in charge of the funeral service. Interment was in the Clarinda cemetery.
He is survived by his son John of Des Moines and daughter, Mrs Glen Bishop of York, Nebraska. His wife preceded him in death in 1919.
Those from out of town coming for the funeral included Mr and Mrs John McLean and son Bob of Des Moines, Mr and Mrs Glen Bishop of York, Nebr, Mrs June Kearnes of St Joseph, Mo, Mrs Don Pike and daughter Nancy Ann of St Joseph, Mo, and Mr and Mrs E E McLean of Council Bluffs.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, January 29, 1942
R B McLean – Robert Burder McLean, son of John and Catherine Malissa McAlpin McLean, was born March 3, 1870, in Page county and passed away January 15, 1942, at 7:00 p m at the age of 71 years, 10 months and 12 days.
He had been in poor health for the past ten years but was able to work until the past two years at which time he went to Des Moines where he made his home with his son. He took seriously ill only a couple of days before passing away.
He moved to Texas with his parents in 1875, returning to Clarinda in 1889. Here he spent most of his life working for the Berry Seed company and at the Berry Poultry farm.
He was married to Ruth Moye November 6, 1890. To them were born John of Des Moines and Zora (Mrs. Glenn Bishop) of York, Nebraska. Mrs. McLean passed away February 6, 1919.
Mr McLean was the youngest of a family of nine children. He leaves two sisters, Mrs T [homas] G [reenfield] Searl, Clarinda and Mrs Mary Comstock of Houston, Texas; his son's two children, Robert of Des Moines and Donald, serving his country in the Marines in Iceland, his daughter's six children, June, Violet, Mildred, Robert, Dorothy, and Richard. Besides these eight grandchildren he leaves one great grandchild.
He was a member of the Clarinda Christian church.
Funeral services were conducted by Ellsworth L Woods of the Christian church of Clarinda, at the Walker funeral home on January 17, 1942. Interment was made in the Clarinda cemetery.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, August 8, 1901
Rev. Collins Conducted the Funeral
Mrs. Nixon, the wife of Rev. G. J. Nixon, died in Shenandoah. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. A. H. Collins of Bedford, August 2. Rev. Nixon will be remembered by many Bedford people. He is a superannuated preacher of the M. E. church. He has the sympathy of all in his sad bereavement.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, April 9, 1896
Avery, a nine-year-old son of T. [heodore] T. Pendergraft, at Hepburn, attempted to remove the shell from a breech loading shot gun last Friday. As he broke the gun the cartridge exploded, the shot going into the floor, but the shell flew back and penetrated the boy's skull. The brains oozed out of the wound and the boy died.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Tuesday, October 18, 1904
Lillie Robertson – Miss Lillie Robertson was born in Ohio and came to Iowa in 1858 and made her home in Van Buren and Davis counties, Iowa. She came to reside with her brother, who lives here, last May. She has been a sufferer for a number of years. She was a member of the United Presbyterian church since the age of sixteen, until one year ago when her location decided her to united with the M. E. church of Keosauqua, Ia. She was an estimable lady whose real worth was known to only her very intimate friends. She leaves one brother, A. I. Robertson and two nephews in Clarinda, a cousin in College Springs, two brothers in Denver, Colo., and a sister in Ohio, to mourn her death. The funeral was held this morning at the home at 10 o'clock, Rev. Sturgeon conducting the services.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, October 21, 1904
Miss Lillie Robertson died Monday at the home of her brother, A. I. Robertson, in this city. She had long been an invalid. She was a native of Ohio and had lived in Iowa since 1858 but was a resident of Clarinda only from May last. Her funeral was held Tuesday morning, conducted by Rev. R. M. Sturgeon. She had been a church member from the time she was 16 years of age.

Laurens Sun (Laurens, Iowa), Thursday, August 20, 1925
Byron Leonard Saum was born on a farm in Davis county, Iowa, on September 17, 1848 and died at his home in Laurens on August 14, 1925, aged 76 years, 10 months and 28 days.
He was one of a family of nine children, three of whom, together with their father and mother, have preceded him into the great beyond.
He began teaching school when about 20 years old and taught for several years. In 1873 he went to Burlington, Iowa where he attended the Burlington Business College in which he later taught and then held several positions as bookkeeper. In 1890 he came to Laurens where he was joined by his family the following year and where he has since made his home. He came to Laurens to take a position in what was then known as the Allen Bank where he remained until 1898. He then left the bank but returned later for two or three years. Since 1912 he had been operating a cream station and flour and feed store, also serving for a number of years as Justice of the Peace of Swan Lake Township.
During his residence in Burlington he met Lucy J. Hillhouse to whom he was married in 1882 and who was his faithful and loving helpmate until January 1923 when she passed away.
At the age of 17 he joined the Methodist church of which he had ever since been a faithful member. For many years he took an active part in the affairs of the Laurens Methodist Church, having been Sunday School Superintendent, a member of the choir, Sunday School teacher and member of the Official Board.
Quiet and unassuming in his daily life yet striving always to live uprightly in the sight of God and man; patient and uncomplaining when trouble and sorrow came upon him, trusting in the Lord and believing that all things work together for good to them that love Him. He was a true Christian, a good friend and a kind and loving husband and father.
[words unreadable] at the time of his last illness which came upon him suddenly in April of this year. He was ready and willing to go and passed quietly away, after a long and well spent life, with peace in his heart and faith in the promise of life everlasting.
He is survived by a son, Ralph W. Saum, a daughter, Mrs. Ethel G. Toomey and by three brothers and two sisters, H. [orace] L.[incoln] Saum of Clarinda, Iowa, Miss Lenora Saum, Mrs. A. S. VanSandt, A. [ugustus] B.[are]  Saum and C. [harles] L. Saum of San Diego, California, as well as many friends by all of whom he will be greatly missed.
The funeral was held Sunday afternoon from the Methodist church and the services were in charge of the pastor, Rev. T. Ernest Noon. The body was laid beside that of his wife in the Laurens cemetery.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, December 6, 1945
Charles Saum Died in Calif. Ashes Interred in Clarinda
Charles Saum, brother of Mrs A [lbert] S [tanley] Vansandt of San Diego, Calif, passed away from a fall, received in the home of his sister, Mrs Van Sandt, although he had been in poor health for some time being well along in years.
Funeral services were held in San Diego, the ashes being brought from there to Clarinda and were interred in the Saum lot Clarinda cemetery.
Mr Saum formerly lived in Clarinda, going from here to Boise, Idaho, then to San Diego, Calif. His wife preceded him in death a number of years ago. Mrs Van Sandt is now the only surviving member of a once large family.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, March 27, 1941
Miss Nora Saum Is Buried Here
The remains of Miss Lenora Ethel Saum, a resident of Clarinda for years, will arrive here Sunday from San Diego, Calif. and short burial services are to be held at the grave Monday morning at 10 o'clock.
Death for Miss Saum occurred at San Diego last Sunday. Services were held at a mortuary in the western city at 11 o'clock Wednesday morning. Rev George A Warner of the First Methodist church of San Diego being the clergyman in charge.
The body is being brought back by a sister, Mrs Etta VanSandt and will arrive at Villisca Sunday morning. Mrs VanSandt will be met by friends and will remain at the home of Mrs E T Farrens during her sojourn among friends here. Surviving Miss Saum are Mrs VanSandt, a brother, Charles L Saum of San Diego and a brother H [orace] L [incoln] Saum of Boone, Ia.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, October 5, 1899
Died at Clarinda
Mrs. Cinda A. Saum, aged 78 years, 10 months and one day, died at her home in north Clarinda on last Sunday evening at 8:30 o'clock. She had not been in good health for five months or more and stomach trouble was the immediate cause of her death. Funeral services will be held at the home Thursday afternoon at three o'clock, conducted by Rev. IlgenFritz. – Clarinda Herald
Mrs. Saum was the mother of J. [acob] V. Saum of Bedford.


Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, October 19, 1899
Death of Mrs. Cinda Saum
The funeral of Mrs. Cinda Saum was held from the home in north Clarinda on last Tuesday afternoon at three o'clock, conducted by Rev. Ilgen Fritz and Dr. Smith. Mrs. Saum's maiden name was Cinda Bare. She was born in Homer, Ohio, November 30, 1821. She was married to David Saum on February 2, 1841, at Homer, Ohio. To this union 11 children were born. Of these 8 still survive. Lyman lives at Ft. Calhoon, Nebraska, A. [ugustus] B. [are], H. [orace] L. [incoln], C.[harles] L., Lenora and Mrs. Etta VanSandt live in this city; Jake lives at Bedford, Byron at Lorenze [Laurens], Iowa. Mrs. Eliot died some years ago and Harvey and Ida died in infancy.
In 1874 she moved with her husband to Davis county, Iowa, where they resided until 1875 when her husband died. Late in 1879 she came to Clarinda where she has since made her home. In early life she became a member of the Christian church, of which she was a faithful member until death. During her last sickness, which was many months, she was never heard to murmur but bore her suffering with a patience that was more than remarkable. She was ready to go, only waiting for her Master's call, to pass to that heavenly home, a "house not built with hands, eternal in the heavens." – Clarinda Herald
[Note:  Various spellings of her maiden name, including Baer and Bair.]

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, December 15, 1947
Mrs. T G Searl – Services for Mrs T [homas] G [reenfield] Searl, 93, who died Friday morning, were held Sunday afternoon at the Walker funeral home with interment in the Clarinda cemetery.
The Rev Vernon H Carter conducted the services. Pallbearers were Dr J W Sellards, Russell Lines, H A Logan, Charles Reynolds, C E Hoskinson and I E Stickelman.
Mrs. Searl, whose health had been declining for some time due to her advanced age suffered a fall several weeks ago and had been a patient at the Municipal hospital where she died at 9:20 a m Friday.
A native of Indiana, Mrs. Searl had been a resident of Clarinda for 58 years. She is survived by a daughter, Mabel, former county superintendent of schools and a son, Roy Searl, both of Clarinda and five grandchildren. Mr Searl died in 1932.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, December 15, 1947
Miss Mabel Searl is accompanying Dr and Mrs T K Coles to Haxton, Colo, to spend three or four weeks there. The Coles had been here for the funeral of Mrs T G Searl. Others from a distance at the funeral were Mr and Mrs Roy Searl, Mr and Mrs Delaine Baty and daughters Verda and Suzanne and Mr and Mrs Jack Searl, all of Jamison [Jameson], Mo, Mr and Mrs Delbert Holmstedt of Stanton, Iowa, Mr and Mrs John McLean and Don McLean of Des Moines, also Mrs. Katherine Sturgeon and Mr and Mrs E EMcLean of Omaha.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, January 1, 1948
Mrs T G Searl – Jamima [Jemima] Alice McLean, daughter of John and Malissa McAlpin McLean, was born in Johnson county, Indiana, Aug 5, 1854 and departed from this life Dec 12, 1947, at her home in Clarinda, having reached the advanced age of 93 years, 4 months and 7 days. When she was yet a small child her family came to Page county, Iowa but later moved to Taylor, Texas. In 1878 she was united in marriage to Thomas G [reenfield] Searl who preceded her in death on the 17th of November 1932. To this union were born four children: Ora, who died in infancy; Mabel of Clarinda; Roy of Jamison [Jameson], Mo; and Maud, whose death occurred on the 3rd of March 1943. 
In addition to Mabel and Roy she is survived by five grandchildren: Mrs. Helen Coles, Haxton, Colo; Mrs. Maurine Holmstedt, Stanton, Iowa; Mrs Katherine Sturgeon, Omaha, Neb; Mrs Gertrude Lary and J Roy Searl, jr, both of Jamison, Mo; and three great grandchildren. A sister, Mrs Mary Comstock of Houston, Texas, who is 91 years of age, is the only remaining member of the family of seven brothers and sisters. Mrs Searl has been a faithful member of the Christian church since 1884, an earnest worker and regular attendant until late years when health prevented such activity.
Services were held Sunday, Dec 14, 1947, at the Walker Funeral home with Rev Vernon Carter in charge. Casket bearers who carried her to her final resting place in the Clarinda cemetery were Dr J W Sellards, Russell Lines, H A Logan, Charles Reynolds, C E Hoskinson and I E Stickelman.

[SEARL, JOHN ROY, 1886 – 1950]
Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, November 30, 1950
Roy Searl Dies at Jameson, Mo
Brother of Local Woman Had Heart Attack; Died Wednesday
Roy Searl of Jameson, Mo. died suddenly Wednesday evening after a heart attack.
He is the son of the late T G Searl of Clarinda and a brother of Mabel Searl. He leaves his wife and four daughters, Mrs Marvin Holmstedt, Stanton, Mrs Helen Cole[s], Haxtun, Colo, Mrs Paul Lowe, Sioux City, Mrs Gertrude Larry [Lary], Jameson, Mo. and one son, J [ohn] R [oy] Searl, also Jameson.
Two children preceded him in death. He and his son operated a locker plant in Coffey, Mo.

[SEARL, JOHN ROY, 1886 – 1950]
Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, December 7, 1950
John Roy Searl – John Roy Searl, son of Thomas Greenfield and Alice Searl, was born October 18, 1886 in Taylor, Tex. At the age of four his parents moved to Clarinda, Iowa. There he united with the Christian church.
On August 14, 1907 he was united in marriage to Lulu Hankins of New Market, Iowa. To this union seven children were born. Two children, Marjorie Jean, age 12, and Florence Claire Pryor, age 19, preceded him in death.
In 1918 he went to Missouri, purchased a farm 1 ½ miles west of Jameson, where he died of a heart attack Nov 29, 1950, at the age of 64 years, 1 month and 12 days.
Roy was associated with his father in the meat business until he entered farming. In addition to his farm interests, he and his son, who had returned from service in the army, built the Coffey locker service in Coffey, Mo and he has assisted in its management.
Roy was a community worker, having served on the school board, triple A, public offices and in various other capacities.
He is survived by his wife Lulu; four daughters, Mrs Helen Coles of Haxtun, Colo, Mrs Maurine Holmstedt of Stanton, Iowa, Mrs Kathryn Lowe of Decatur, Neb., Mrs Gertrude Lary [of] Jameson, Mo; and one son, John Roy Searl Jr of Coffey, Mo; one sister, Miss Mabel Searl of Clarinda; and three grandchildren.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, January 15, 1970
Mabel Searl, 90, died in Colorado
The body of Miss Mabel Searl is to arrive in Clarinda for funeral service which will be Saturday afternoon. Her death came this Thursday morning at Berthoud, Colo.
Miss Searl was a teacher in Page county and Clarinda and retired in 1946 from 19 years as county superintendent of schools. She taught in rural schools prior to being asked to each in Clarinda. She was principal of Lincoln school before appointment to her county position.
The funeral is at 3 pm at Walker Funeral Home with the Rev. LaVern Kinzel of the First Christian Church officiating. Burial will be with others of the Tom G. Searl family in Clarinda cemetery. Besides her parents, she is preceded in death by a sister, Maude, and brother, Roy. Her mother was in her mid-90s at her death.
Among those who are expected for the Clarinda services are Mrs. Roy Searl and Mrs Delaine (Gertrude) Lary of Jameson, Mo., J. [ohn] R. [oy] Searl of Story City, Ia., Mrs. Ted K ( Helen) Cole[s] of Reno, Nev., Mrs Katherine Lowe of Johnson, Colo., and Mrs Delbert (Maurine) Holmstedt of Stanton, Ia.
Miss Searl had gone to Colorado several years ago when her health was apparently failing, being near to her niece, Katherine. She has lived in Denver in nursing homes prior to going to the home at Berthoud within the last year. She had celebrated her 90th birthday, being a native Clarindan.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, October 9, 1933
Marjorie Searl – Marjorie Jean, little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. [ohn] Roy Searl, was kissed by the death angel Friday morning at 3:30 o'clock and her little spirit winged its way to Him who gave it. She made a brave fight for life and all that loving care and medical skill could do was done to keep the little life here but in vain and she was gathered to Him who doeth all things well.
Marjorie Jean Searl was born at Jameson, Mo., Aug. 27, 1921, and died at her birthplace Friday, October 6, 1933, at the age of 12 years, 1 months and 15 days. She leaves to mourn their loss a father, mother, five sisters, Helen, Maureen, Gertrude and Claire, one brother, J. [ohn] R. [oy], two grandmothers, including Mrs. T.[homas] G. [reenfield] Searl of Clarinda and other relatives.
Funeral service was held in the Methodist church in Jameson, Mo., Friday, October 6, at 10 a. m. and was conducted by the pastor, F. A. Hawkins.
Interment was made in the Clarinda cemetery after a brief service at the grave in charge of Rev. B. F. Hall.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, October 9, 1933
Miss Maude Searl came Saturday from Des Moines to attend the funeral services of her niece.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, March 4, 1943
Rites Friday for Miss Maud Searl
Former Local Teacher Succumbs Wednesday to Long Illness
Maud Searl, former Clarinda teacher who instituted the commercial department in the local schools and a teacher in Des Moines for 21 years, died at her home here Wednesday evening following a long illness. She was 61 years of age.
Funeral services will be held at the Walker Funeral Home Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock.
A graduate of the Clarinda high school, she attended Iowa university and was ready for her master's degree at Drake university when she became ill about ten years ago. She attended Gem City Business college, Quincy, Ill., Black Hills Business college, Lead, S D, Pritchard college, Glasgow, Mo and taught at Drake Business college, Jersey City, N Y. After teaching in the local school for five years she went to Des Moines and was instructor at East and North highs, chairman of the commercial department of the former school. She was given a leave of absence from her work in 1933 and then continued to each until 1936 when she came to Clarinda and had been in ill health until her death.
Her mother, Mrs T [homas] G [reenfield] Searl, a sister, Miss Mabel, county superintendent of schools and a brother, Roy of Jamison, Mo, survive, as well as a number of nieces and nephews, who are expected here for the funeral, including Mr and Mrs Delaine Lary and Virda Jean of Jamison, Mo, Mr and Mrs Thomas Sturgeon of St Joseph, Mo, Mr and Mrs Delbert Holmstedt of Villisca and Dr and Mrs T K Coles of Haxtun, Colo.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, March 15, 1943
Maude Searl – Maude Searl, daughter of Thomas G. [reenfield] and Alice McLean Searl, was born Nov 1, 1881, in Taylor Tex., and passed away in Clarinda on Wednesday, March 3, at 9:00 p m, after a long illness at the age of 61 years, 3 months and 14 days.
She came to Clarinda with her parents when seven years old. Here she graduated from high school in 1900. Following graduation, she taught four terms in rural schools of this community.
Miss Searl attended the Gem City Business college, Quincy, Ill, where she graduated. The following year was spent as an instructor in Black Hills Business college, Leads, S D. The next three years were spent teaching in Pritchard Commercial college, Glasgow, Mo. Three more years were given in teaching in Drake Business college at Jersey City, N. J.
She organized and taught five years in the commercial department of the Clarinda high school. For 21 years she served as chairman of the commercial department of East High in Des Moines.
Miss Searl was always anxious to attain the best possible preparation for her life work as a teacher. She received her B A degree from the University of Iowa and at the time of retirement had almost completed her work for the Master's degree at Drake university.
Maud taught 21 years in the Des Moines schools, the first 7 years in North high and the last 14 years as chairman of the commercial department in East high.
Ill health caused her to leave her work in 1932. After a year of recuperation, she returned to the school room to teach three more years, retiring permanently because of ill health in 1936. These years of great suffering were met with an equally great faith and admirable patience. Her last illness came December 26, from which she never recovered.
She leaves her mother; one sister Mable [Mabel], serving as county superintendent of schools; one brother, Roy, of Jameson, Mo; four nieces, Mrs T K Coles, Jr. of Haxtun, Colo, Mrs. Delbert Holmstedt of Villisca, Ia, Mrs Katheryn Sturgeon of St Joseph, Mo, and Mrs DeLaine Lary of Jameson, Mo. and one nephew, J [ohn] R [oy], now serving in the armed forces at Camp Pendleton, Virginia.
She is preceded in death by her father, who passed away in 1932, and two nieces, Jean who died in 1933 and Clair in 1940.
Miss Searl became a member of the Church of Christ at the age of nine. During the years she served faithfully in the communities wherever her work called her. Her Christian faith has been an inspiration to many. Her devoted conscientious spirit won for her deserving praise and many lasting friendships.
Funeral services were conducted by her pastor, Rev. Ellsworth L. Woods of the Clarinda Church of Christ, at Walker's Funeral Home on Friday, March 5, at 2:00 p. m. Pallbearers were Dr J W Sellards, Orie Gorrell, Ted Pressly, Lloyd Lines, Wade Schoolay and Charley Reid. Interment was in the Clarinda cemetery.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, November 24, 1932
T. G. Searl – Thomas Greenfield Searl was born in Ashton, Canada, Sept 20, 1852, and died at his home in Clarinda, Ia., just a few minutes before midnight on the 17th day of November 1932 at the age of 80 years, 2 months and 27 days.
He was the son of John and Eliza Searl, and was one of nine children, all of whom have preceded him in death except Matilda Brown, the oldest of the family, now residing at Minneapolis, Minn. and Eliza Haynes of Chana, Ill., and Stephen Searl of Morland, Kans. The parents of the deceased came from England and settled in Canada, where Mr. Searl was born.
When he was 3 years of age, his family moved to Fond du Lac, Wis., and later to Bremer county, Ia. He was thrown upon his own resources at the early age of 12, through the death of his mother, and was in the fullest sense a self-made man. In about 1875 he took his invalid brother to Texas for the benefit of the latter's health and resided in that state until 1883. He then moved to Clarinda, Ia., where he has resided continuously since.
He was married April 30, 1878, at Taylor, Tex., to Alice McLean, and together for over 54 years they have been permitted to share the joys and sorrows of married life together. Four children were born, one of whom, Ora, died in infancy. In addition to the wife, three children survive him: Mabel, county superintendent of Page county, Iowa; Maud, a teacher in the schools of Des Moines, Ia.; and Roy, of Nodaway county, Missouri. He is also survived by seven grandchildren: Helen, Maurine, Katherine, Gertrude, Claire, Jean and John Roy Searl.
He, together with his wife, was baptized in the Lampasas river at Youngsport, Tex. and united with the Christian church there in 1884. After he moved to Clarinda he identified himself with the Christian church of this city and has remained a faithful and loyal member, for many years holding office as elder.
He has been closely identified with the life and development of this community for over 40 years, for many years being connected with different business enterprises. He lived among us, a gentleman, an active citizen, an honored, trustworthy and competent business man. Mr. Searl was a man everyone liked, as he was a good husband and father, a sympathetic and obliging neighbor, a true friend, a loyal citizen and a devout Christian. He was not attracted by the unimportant and artificial in life, deriving most of his pleasures from like and work in the open. He was a friend of all and among his many friends are little children, who will miss his kindly smile and cheery greeting and they also mourn today as they realize that Uncle Searl will be with them no more.
His work is now closed. His record has been fully and finally written and the best that can be said of him is that he was an honorable man, a good citizen and a true Christian.
Funeral service was held at the residence, 622 east State, Sunday, November 20, at 2 p. m., with Rev. Hall in charge. The grandchildren acted as flower bearers. Interment in Clarinda cemetery.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, May 7, 1896

Another Shenandoah Suicide
Henry Singleton, age 52, married, committed suicide by shooting himself in the head at 8:20 o'clock last night at his home three and a half miles south of Shenandoah.
He had just returned from a trip to Omaha, where he went Saturday night. When he got off the train last night, he went to his home immediately. A few minutes after greeting his family, he pulled a revolver from his pocket and said to his wife, "Ma, I bought a new revolver today." She replied, "Henry, its just like your old one, take the cartridges out." Instead of complying with her request he placed the muzzle of the gun to his head and said: "Goodbye, Ma." He then pulled the trigger and a bullet went crashing through his brain. He fell to the floor and death was almost instantaneous.

The fatal wound is just over the right ear, beside which there is a triangular scalp cut which, it is thought, was inflicted when Singleton fell. He was well known in Shenandoah and vicinity, having lived near here all his life. he was at one time in comfortable circumstances but reverses of late years have greatly reduced the finances of the family.
Singleton was a horseman and veterinary surgeon of more or less skill. When in town he could usually be found about the places frequented by horsemen and at times he had considerable business in his calling. He drank to excess at periods, and it is said he had been drinking heavily during his visit to Omaha.

Lincoln Journal Star (Lincoln Nebraska), Wednesday, July 5, 1939, p. 2
Mrs. Stone Dies at 90
Widow of Civil War Veteran Here 39 Years
Mrs. Anna M. [arie] Stone, 90, died Tuesday night at her home, 835 No. 22nd. Born in Ohio she grew up in Clarinda, Ia. and was married there at the close of the Civil war to the late William H. [ays] Mason. A few years later they removed to western Nebraska and Mr. Mason entered the mercantile business at Bradyville [Braddyville]. After a few years at Clarinda the family came to Lincoln in 1898. Mr. Mason died here in 1910 and in 1917 his widow married George W. Stone. He died in 1924 [1923].
Surviving are two daughters, Mrs. George Lewis of Beatrice and Mrs. W. [illiam] W. Frank of Portland, Ore., son, Charles Mason of Lincoln. Mrs. Stone was active in the W. R. C. and Ladies of the G. A. R. Funeral services will be held at 9:30 Friday at Hodgmans, Rev. Walter Aitken officiating. Burial in Wyuka.
[Note: She is buried with her first husband in Clarinda City Cemetery, Clarinda, Iowa, not in Wyuka as stated above.]

[STONE, GEORGE W., 1842 – 1923]
Lincoln Journal Star (Lincoln, Nebraska), Wednesday, October 31, 1923
Stone – Funeral services for George W. Stone will be held at 2:30 o'clock Thursday afternoon from the Henry B. Brown chapel. Rev. F. L. Wharton and Farragut post No. 25, G. A. R. will have charge. Burial will be in Wyuka.

[STONE, GEORGE W., 1842 – 1923]
Nebraska State Journal (Lincoln, Nebraska), Wednesday, October 31, 1923

Stone – George W. Stone, eighty-two years old, died at the Milford Soldiers' home at 7 p. m. Tuesday. His body was brought to Lincoln and is being held at Henry B. Brown's parlors. Funeral announcements will be made later.

[STONE, GEORGE W., 1842 – 1923]
Nebraska State Journal (Lincoln, Nebraska), Thursday, November 1, 1923
Stone – Funeral services for George W. Stone, eighty-two years old, who died Tuesday night, will be held at Henry Brown's funeral home, Thursday at 2 p. m. The services will be in charge of the G. A. R. of which Mr. Stone was a member. Rev. Mr. Wharton will conduct the services. Burial will be in Wyuka.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, October 14, 1904
The baby son, about seventeen months old, of Mrs. Carrie A. Van Dyke, widow of L. [eroy] C. [anfield] Van Dyke, died the 12th inst. at Woodston, Kan. The remains will arrive here tonight for burial beside his father L. [eroy] C. [anfield] Van Dyke. Mrs. Van Dyke was expecting to move next week on a twenty-acre tract of land, one-half mile north of Shambaugh that she bought of M. V. Thompson.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Tuesday, October 18, 1904
Francis Theodore VanDyke – the funeral services of Francis Theodore VanDyke were held at the residence of J. H. Dunlap in west Clarinda on Saturday afternoon, October 15, conducted by Rev. Fletcher Homan. Francis Theodore was the son of Mr. and Mrs. L. [eroy] C. [anfield] VanDyke, formerly of Clarinda but now of Webster, Kans. and died Thursday, October 13, at that place, aged 1 year, 5 months and 6 days. The father died March 23, 1904 and Mrs. VanDyke has the sympathy of a large circle of friends in her bereavement.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, January 8, 1940
Early Engineer, S VanSandt Dies in California
Delay Bringing Ashes to Clarinda by Family Illness
Word has come of the death of Albert Stanley VanSandt, 87, who passed away in San Diego, Calif on January 4. He is survived by his wife, Mrs Etta VanSandt. Because of the poor health of his wife's sister, Miss Nora Saum, his body will be cremated and brought to Clarinda when both are able to make the trip. More details of his death will be sent to Clarinda.
The VanSandt family was one of the oldest in Clarinda, Stanley's father being Dr N L VanSandt, a practicing physician as early as 1858. Stanley entered the courthouse as deputy treasurer as a young man. He served in different offices until he became known as the best posted man on courthouse details of any man in the county. He helped about the offices where needed, would check out the old treasurer and in the new, making audits of the offices before the day of state audits.
Mr. VanSandt was county surveyor for 19 years in his later public career, filling the office that is now known as county engineer when the first drainage ditches were put in. None of the road work was cared for by his office at that time. Of such thoroughness was he in his office that several men, who are now county engineers, point to his help in getting the foundation as deputies in this county.
Retiring in 1924 he went to San Diego, Calif where he has since resided with his wife, Etta Saum VanSandt.
Weather records "way back when" were kept by Mr VanSandt, and his personal records now probably hold as near complete early records for Clarinda as can be found. He continued to own property in the business district, his holdings being buildings and lots just north of the square.
The funeral was held Saturday at the Johnson-Saum Mortuary in San Diego.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, January 29, 1940
A S Vansandt Ashes Are Interred Here
The ashes of Stanley Vansandt were received in Clarinda several days ago and given interment in the family lot of the Clarinda cemetery. His death occurred January 4th at San Diego at the age of 87 years. His widow and her sister had hoped to return with the remains but entrusted them to friends here instead.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, July 10, 1952, p. 9
Mrs S Van Sandt Died in California
Remains of Pioneer Clarinda Woman to be Interred Here
Death of Mrs Stanley Van Sandt, 86, has been learned here. She died at her home in San Diego, Calif, June 28, and the funeral service was held at Johnson-Saum mortuary in San Diego on July 3. The cremated remains will be sent to Clarinda for interment beside her husband, the late Stanley Van Sandt.
Marietta Saum Van Sandt was born on a farm in Davis county, Iowa, Jan 7, 1866. At the age of 12 she moved to Clarinda where she later married Stanley Van Sandt a civil engineer, Jan 9, 1899. In 1924 they moved to San Diego.
Mrs Van Sandt was a member of the First Presbyterian church of Clarinda, a past grand officer of the Order of Eastern Star and a member of P E O sisterhood for 60 years, being a charter member of Chapter A E Iowa, later demitting to Chapter A R, San Diego.
Mrs Van Sandt was the youngest of a family of 11 children, all of whom preceded her in death, as had her husband.
She is survived by two nieces, Mrs Ethel G Toomey and Mrs Lois S Westlake and a nephew, D R Saum, all of San Diego and several nieces and nephews in other cities.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, July 17, 1952, [p. 1]
Ashes of Mrs Stanley Van Sandt Interred Wednesday
In a graveside service at the Clarinda cemetery Wednesday afternoon, the ashes of Mrs. Stanley Van Sandt were laid to rest beside the grave of her husband.
Mrs Van Sandt, former Page county pioneer, died at her home in San Diego, Calif, June 28. Funeral service was held at a mortuary there, July 3. The Rev D C Davis officiated at the service here, attended by a few old friends.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, September 15, 1898
Death in the Wire
Tuesday night at Shenandoah Verna [Vernon] Wilber [Wilbur], an eighteen-year-old lad, picked up the end of a live electric wire and was instantly killed.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, September 16, 1898
Killed by Electricity
Vernon Wilbur aged eighteen years, son of C. [harles] B. Wilbur, a Shenandoah jeweler, was killed by contact with a live telephone wire on the outskirts of Shenandoah, on last Tuesday evening. The boy, with a companion, was walking along the road, when he saw the wire dangling from a pole. Sparks were coming from the wire and without a word, the boy, in playfulness, took hold of it with his left hand. He fell down instantly, writhing in death. His companion ran for help. Some young men a block away smelled burning flesh and went to the scene, but were afraid to touch the body, which still held the wire. As fate would have it, the father came along in a buggy, on his way home and in the gathering twilight recognized the form of his dying son. He immediately jumped out and tried to pull the lad loose but instead received a heavy shock himself. When he recovered, he knocked the wire from the boy's hand with an umbrella and the lad was carried to Webster's drug store where physicians tried, but in vain, to resuscitate him. He never recovered consciousness. It is though that the fatal wire was made doubly dangerous by crossing an electric light wire in the business part of town and by the damp electrical condition of the atmosphere. Coroner Millen was unable to attend the inquest and deputized Squire Carter of Shenandoah to hold it. The inquest revealed nothing more than the above.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, September 23, 1898
Victim of Electricity
Shenandoah Young Man Killed by Contact With a Live Wire
Charles V. [ernon] Wilbur met death in a tragic manner at the corner of Thomas avenue and Maple Street Tuesday evening. About a year ago, while moving the [?] house, a telephone wire was broken near this corner and one of the men gathered it up and wrapped it around a pole, leaving the end so that it touched the ground. The wire laid across an electric light wire at the rear of Young's [?] and in time the insulation of the electric wire became worn through and permitted the full current to be transferred to the broken wire, which gave it a charge of about 1,100 volts on Tuesday evening.
Charles Wilbur left his home in the southern part of the city Tuesday evening to go up town and on the way he met Henry Ahlstand and together they proceeded to the corner of Thomas avenue and Maple street where they stopped [?] the flashes from the end of the wire where it touched the ground, After looking at it a few moments, Wilbur caught it with his left hand and immediately fell to the ground as the powerful current caused instant death. His companion hurried to the city for help and while he was gone, Mr. Wilbur, the father came along from supper and seeing the boy lying there with the wire flashing in his hand, attempted to draw him away, but the mere touch of his clothes threw him back against the fence. At this time, he recognized the boy as his own son and ran down the street for help. Some men from McGogy's barn accompanied him back to where the lad lay and at the suggestion of one of them Mr. Wilbur knocked the wire from his son's hand with his umbrella, when the boy was taken to Webster's drug store and doctors [?] and Driver used every known means to resuscitate him but found life extinct. The wire had burned through the bone on all the fingers touching it. The father went home to prepare the mother for the sad home coming and friends [?] followed bearing the body of the son who had met so sudden a death just at the dawn of manhood.
Charles was the eldest son of Mr. C. [harles] B. Wilbur, the jeweler, and was about 18 years of age. He was a bright, energetic boy and was employed in the canning factory. – Shenandoah Sentinel, Sept. 16.

Bedford Free Press (Bedford, Iowa), Thursday, February 27, 1896
Instantly Killed
Simpson Wilson was instantly killed at Shenandoah last week while driving on to the grain elevator dump with a four-horse team. He brought in a big load of shelled corn with a four-horse team and while driving up to the dump the horses whirled. He jumped off to check the team and just as he alighted one of the front wheels of the wagon broke and the heavily loaded wagon came down on him. He was caught by the broken wheel and his skull fractured. He had a wife and four children and no life insurance. The oldest child is but 14. Wilson's brother-in-law, C. H. Wall, was with him but escaped with a broken arm, jumping from the wagon on the other side.