submitted by: Julia Johnson -

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Tuesday, January 29, 1895, p. 3
Died, at her home in north Clarinda, Sunday morning, Jan. 27, at 7 o'clock, Mrs. Harriett L.[ovina] Jewett Ansbach aged 44 years, 6 months and 7 days. Deceased was born in Ohio, July 20, 1850. In her infancy her family removed to Illinois, near Springfield. While visiting in Fremont county she met Mr. Ansbach and they were married Jan. 8, 1871. Five children were born to them, two of whom died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Ansbach have been residents of Clarinda for over twenty years. She was formerly a member of the Baptist church but in March 1871, united by letter with the Methodist church at Sidney.
The funeral services were held at the home yesterday morning, at 11 o'clock, conducted by Rev. McDade, assisted by Revs. Smith and Rankin. A double quartet from the M. E. choir furnished the music. The P. E. O. sisterhood took a prominent part in the preparations and funeral services, attending in a body and wearing their badges on rosettes of crape. The house was crowded with sympathizing friends. Following is a synopsis of Rev. McDade's remarks:
"We have heard but one thing about Mrs. Ansbach in her life and since her death—that she was a good and true woman. The elements of character and Christian virtues that we think of as constituting a good and true woman were all manifested in her life. These first were shown in her home life and the members of her family praised her for her gentleness, fidelity and sympathy. The same were manifested in the P. E. O. sisterhood and she was recognized as one of their faithful members and her worth was appreciated by all. The Christian virtues were shown in her church life by her attendance upon the means of grace, her activity in revival work and in the ladies' aid society. Her death was such as would be expected from the life she lived. She thought of death as unable to separate her from the love of Christ and with only the power to liberate her spirit from the body and died at peace with God and man. In life and at death her thought was of life as superior to death; that while the law of life and the law of death operate in all the spheres of human life, yet the power of life is the greater; that as truth will rise above falsehood and righteousness above wickedness, so the law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus makes us free from the law of sin and death."
Mrs. Ansbach was confined to her bed but a short time. She had been in feeble health for two or three years but until the first of the new year she did not begin sinking. About two weeks before her death she was taken worse and with her constitution in an enfeebled condition it was difficult for her to rally. All that kind and loving hands could do to keep the restless spirit in its body of clay was done. A deaconess was summoned from Omaha to relieve the faithful family, worn out with watching. But in vain. In her beautiful home, surrounded by her sorrowing family and with the sweet fragrance of the flowers she loving so well appealing to her dying senses, her soul took its flight to meet her Savior at the throne of God. By her request lilies were placed on the door instead of crape, to signify that life was stronger than death and that she was not dead, but simply translated, removed to a brighter land to await her loved ones. "O Grave, where is thy victory? O Death, where is thy sting?"

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, December 3, 1928, p. 5
Martin Robert Ansbach – Funeral services for M. R. Ansbach were held at the Methodist Episcopal church in this city Saturday afternoon, Dec. 1, at 2:30 o'clock.
A male quartet composed of Roscoe Applegate, C. E. Bradly, George Woolson and Leslie Finley, sang "Remember Me," and "Saved by Grace." Mrs. Anna Maxwell accompanied them on the organ. Mrs. Maxwell also played before and after the services. The services were in charge of Rev. D. J. Shenton, pastor of the church.
Members of the De Molay, Max Lines, Hugh Louden, Burton Owen and Oliver Cook, were ushers; also Charles Swanson, representing the ushers of the church.
Those in charge of the flowers were Mrs. A. M. Abbott, Mrs. Myrtle Nies, Miss Florence White, Mrs. George Annan, Mrs. A. J. Hawley, Miss Jeannette E. Painter, Mrs. W. L. Harris. The floral offerings were many and very beautiful.
The honorary pall bearers were Dr. F. H. Clark, Dr. T. E. Powers, Dr. F. K. Burnett, Dr. Max E. Witte, W. E. Stevens, Judge Earl Peters, J. Ren Lee, M. V. Reed, A. B. Robinson, W. S. Potts, W. F. Stipe, D. D. Stitt, George Annan and Frank Sinn.
The active pall bearers were Fred Fisher, D. Louden, A. M. Abbott, H. S. Stephens, Frank McManama, Orville C. Greene, H. F. Jones and Dr. F. K. Burnett.
The services at the grave were in charge of Nodaway lodge No. 140 A. F. and A. M. Thomas Beaumont of Creston, past grand senior warden of the Iowa Masonic grand lodge, gave the burial service. E. B. Westcott was the marshal, W. A. Parker carried the Bible.
Among those present from out of town were Mrs. Amalia McClenahan, his daughter, who has been with him during his illness; his sons, Guy M. Ansbach of Long Beach and Percy M. Ansbach of San Francisco, Calif.; H. R. Lewellyn of Little Rock, Ark., who was a nephew of the late Mrs. Ansbach, and two other nephews of Mrs. Ansbach, Grant Weidner of Omaha and Frank E. Weidner of York, Nebr. O. J. Kirketeg and James A. Lucas, attorneys. from Bedford, were also present.
The Berry seed company, the Brotherhood of the M. E. church attended the funeral in a body.
The following obituary has been given The Journal for publication:
Martin Robert Ansbach was born in Germany, July 11, 1845, and died Nov. 27, 1928, aged 83 years, 4 months and 16 days.
He was educated at the Royal Military college in Bavaria and emigrated to the United States in 1865 for the sole purpose of joining the Federal army but failed to obtain service on account of Lee's surrender at Appomattox.
After various clerkships in New York City, Franklin, Pa., Chicago and St. Louis, he went to Sidney, Ia., as a clerk for Sipple & Maloy until he started a general mercantile store at Riverton, which he sold and came to Clarinda in 1875.
He purchased a half interest in the general mercantile store of S. M. Crooks and later conducted the same store under the firm name of Ansbach & Neinstedt. After five years this partnership was dissolved and he successfully mangled the popular Farmers' Headquarters on the southeast corner of the square until 1896, when he sold out to William Webber of Clearmont, Mo.
He then purchased the controlling interest in the Smith Refinery company of Council Bluffs, retiring after three years active service.
He was a stockholder and director of the Clarinda Trust and Savings bank, which closed its doors in 1920, thereby causing him to lose much of the property which he had accumulated during his younger years.
At the time of his death he was vice president of the Berry Seed company of Clarinda and president of the Clarinda National Farm Loan association.
He was married Jan. 8, 1871 at Sidney, Ia., to Harriet Lovina Jewett, who died Jan. 25, 1895. They were blessed with six children: Martin Robert, who died in infancy; Amalia Ansbach McClenahan of Greeley, Colo.; Guy Maurice of Long Beach, Calif.; Pearl Fannie, who died at the age of nineteen months; Percy Martin of Oakland, Calif.; Paul M., twin brother of Percy Martin, who passed away when only seven weeks old.
On Sept. 9, 1901, he was married to Isabella Jeffrey, who passed away on June 26, 1927. Their domestic life was an ideal one, full of contentment and happiness.
In 1868 he joined the M. E. church in Fremont county, after presenting his letter to the M. E. church in Clarinda when taking up his residence in this city and has been, up to the time of his demise, an active worker and for many years a trustee of the church.
Next to his family and church, he loved the Masonic order in which he was active from 1871 until his passing to the grand Lodge above.
He was of a generous disposition, always ready to help in any worthy undertaking. His benevolences were many but of secret nature.
At various times during his long and useful life he occupied positions of honor and trust.
He was a member of the city council for four years and was active in refinancing the Lee Electric Light plant on which the city depended for light and ice, and now provides heat also.
He was active in the reorganization of the Berry seed company, which is now one of the largest industries in the city.
Mr. Ansbach had been identified with the history of the Methodist Episcopal church since 1875. For about forty years he had been one of the trustees of the church, part of that time acting as secretary of the board. At the time of his death he was a trustee emeritus. He was on the building committee of the church twice, once when the present church was built, and again when it was remodeled so as to be a new church practically. He was also on the building committee when the parsonage was erected. Going further back he was instrumental in the business management of the church at the time the old site near where The Armory now stands was sold. He was active in the Sunday school work and had taught different classes, including the "bad boys" class and a class of girls which class had a much larger membership and greater interest during his tutelage. Later he was a member of the Men's Brotherhood class and was secretary of that class.
Mr. Ansbach became a Master Mason at Sidney, May 3, 1871. He kept his membership in Sidney lodge, No. 153, until 1883 when he was demitted to the lodge here, Nodaway lodge No. 140. He served as grand treasurer of the Iowa grand lodge, A. F. and A. M. for one year and as grand treasurer of the Iowa grand chapter of the Royal Arch Masons twenty-three years. At the time of his death he was trustee and chairman of the Masonic educational corporation of Iowa. He was a past master of Nodaway lodge, 140, A. F. and A. M., a past high priest of Clarinda chapter, No. 29, R. A. M., and a past worthy patron of Clarinda chapter, No. 214, O. E. S.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, December 3, 1928, p. 4
Mr. Ansbach, who had been a resident of Clarinda about 53 years, left his home town last July to become a patient in the Nebraska Methodist hospital in Omaha, where he remained until his death, Tuesday, Nov. 27, 1928, when death came to him. While in the hospital he submitted to four different surgical operations. It seems that the operations were necessary if his life were to be saved, but it was not to be that he could survive, as his ailments were beyond human control. While he was in the hospital, his daughter, Mrs. Amalia McClenahan, was near him and gave her personal care to his comfort, in addition to that bestowed by his nurses. Among those who did what they could to cheer him while in his sick bed were numerous friends from Clarinda and elsewhere. Flowers from his home Masonic lodge, Nodaway, No. 140, were kept constantly in his room. Many friends frequently inquired as to how he was getting along. If tender, capable care and good wishes could have cured him he would be a well man today.
It has happened that I have known Mr. Ansbach since December 1891 when I first met him in his store, farmers' headquarters, on the site where the Citizen's State bank and the W. C. Brown building are now located. His store carried a general stock of merchandise which helped to make it a popular trading point. Another reason for its success was the genial, friendly personality of its owner, who had a most happy way of meeting his customers, whether they came separately as individuals or in family groups.
It must have been somewhere about the changing from the nineteenth to the twentieth century that Mr. Ansbach felt the need of a rest from the active business life he was leading, and so retired from it. From that time on, he placed his capital where it could work for him without the constant attention he had been devoting to his business. After he practically retired from business, there were periods when he devoted considerable time to business affairs. But he more or less gradually arranged his affairs to leave him practically free of burdensome business.
Mr. Ansbach was a very able business man. He had a practical knowledge of business that was invaluable. He was a good buyer, a good salesman, and thoroughly conversant with the best methods. He was good and prompt pay. He was always exceedingly careful to fully protect his credit. If he were your customer you never had to worry about whether he would pay your bill, it was a certainty that he would pay it.
Mr. Ansbach, who was eighty-three years of age the eleventh of last July, happily retained his sound mental faculties to the last. He continued to take keen interest in his duties as vice president and a director in the Berry Seed company of Clarinda until his illness in the hospital prevented him from giving it his further attention. The Berry company was a matter of pride to him.
One of the things that impressed me most about Mr. Ansbach when I first became acquainted with him was his modest but definite declaration of his devotion to religion. He was a Christian of the sincere and earnest type. The Methodist Episcopal was his church home.
He was one of the most earnest, zealous members of the Masonic fraternity that I have ever met. He became a Mason in Sidney, considerably over half a century ago. While living in that place he became the master of the lodge and since that time has been the master of Nodaway lodge, No. 140, A. F. and A. M. He also has been the high priest of Clarinda chapter No. 29 of Royal Arch Masons and worthy patron of Clarinda chapter No. 214, Order of the Eastern Star. For many years he was the grand treasurer of the Iowa Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Mason and during one year, when he was such treasurer of Royal Arch Masonry, he also was grand treasurer of the Iowa Grand lodge of Masons. Many Masonic honors were bestowed upon him.
He undoubtedly was one of the best posted Masons in this state in regard to Masonic matters. I doubt if anything made him happier than to attend a Masonic grand lodge or grand chapter or any special meetings of the Masonic fraternity. He was a frequent attendant of such meetings and enjoyed a wide acquaintance among the leading Masons of Iowa. It was one of his customs to visit sick and afflicted members of the fraternity and to make such visits helpful. It seemed to be easy for him to spread cheer among those upon whom he called.
Mr. Ansbach was highly educated. He obtained a splendid educational foundation as a young man in his native country of Germany. After coming to the United States, he added largely to that foundation. He became a master in the use of the English language.
He was a man of culture and refinement. His conversation was one of purity of thought. It was his habit to speak as carefully to men as he would if women were present. He never used profanity and occasionally spoke of his disapproval of its use by anyone. In social matters he was a remarkably happy host. It seemed natural for him to be at home in entertaining company.
Mr. Ansbach was a great reader and kept fully posted as to the news of the world.
Although there were occasions when his sense of duty spurred him to offer criticism and censure, he then spoke plainly, frankly and courageously, but naturally his habit was to good naturedly offer compliments and he seemed to delight in commendation where he considered it deserved.
I have been told by one who had every facility to know the truth, that if Mr. Ansbach had consented to live in Germany, he would have inherited a caste and borne the title of baron, but he preferred to be a citizen of the United States.
He lived honorably and died regretted. I regard his going as a personal loss to myself. – Edwin C. Lane

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, December 23, 1880
DIED. – On Sunday last, of lung fever, Pearl, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. M. [artin] R. [obert] Ansbach, of this city. The funeral took place from the family residence on Monday afternoon and then the remains of the loved one were conveyed to the cemetery and placed in their last resting place. The sad bereavement falls heavily on the family and their many friends mourns with them.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, July 8, 1880
Killed By a Bull
On Wednesday evening of last week Mr. John Beezley, an old gentleman 77 years of age, who lived in this township, three miles west of Clarinda, was attacked by a bull and received injuries from which he died the same night. The animal was a young one and it seems had been regarded as ugly and vicious, for he had a board over his face to prevent his doing very much damage. He had come up that evening with the other cattle, which were in a lot near the house, and Mr. Beezley went to turn him out and arrange for milking the cows. Going into the lot the vicious brute at once attacked him, caught him on his horns and dashed him to the ground, pressing him to the earth with great force. The animal again tossed its victim into the air and he again fell to the ground. Mrs. B. happened to come upon the scene just then and seeing the fearful peril her husband was in, screamed loudly for assistance. The bull then walked off leaving Mr. Beezley upon the ground crushed and mangled and dying. The body was soon taken to the house and Dr. Van Sandt was sent for. Upon his arrival he found the unfortunate man suffering the most intense pain, which indeed he endured until death relieved him. His left shoulder blade was crushed, several of his ribs were broken upon the same side and the ends of some of them driven into his lungs. All efforts of the doctor to even lessen his sufferings seemed unavailing, although he administered the most powerful anodynes, in inordinate doses and tried all other means. Mr. Beezley died at 2 o'clock the same night. He was buried in Summit cemetery, near his home, on the 2d inst.
The deceased was an estimable old gentleman and universally respected. His tragic death will be greatly deplored by all who knew him. A few years ago, he was accidentally shot while with a hunting party in the western part of this county, from which he suffered quite severely for a time.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, October 13, 1881
DIED. – At her home, near Laport's mill, this county, on the 4th inst., Mrs. Julia A. Brown, wife of Henry Brown, aged 38 years, 9 months and 20 days.
The deceased moved with her husband and family from Warren county, Ill., about one year ago and settled in their present home. Although her stay has been short, she leaves many near and dear friends. The exemplary and Christian life she lived was such that no knew her but to love and respect her. She was a devoted wife, a kind and affectionate mother and an excellent neighbor. She made a profession of religion in 1860, since which time she lived a devoted Christian and as such passed calmly and serenely into the arms of Jesus.
She was married to Henry Brown on the 4th of July 1864. She leaves a kind husband and nine children to mourn their irreparable loss. Her funeral sermon was preached by Rev. J. T. Wornom in a very efficient and touching discourse at the Rose Hill chapel, at which place she was interred. Services were opened by singing the very beautiful and appropriate song, "Asleep in Jesus," which was followed by prayer and then the good old song, "Jesus, Lover of My Soul." Text: "Let me die the death of the righteous and let my last end be like his," Numbers, 23d and 10th. The speaker, having known the deceased from childhood, was very much affected, so much so, as to render it difficult for him to control his feeling. They were schoolmates and grew up together from childhood to mature years. They were converted at the same time, became members of the same class, and for many years attended the same church.
After the funeral services were over the remains were tenderly and silently borne to the last resting place. To the grief-stricken husband and children, we can say that you have the tenderest sympathies of the entire community in your sad bereavement. Wheresoever our lot may fall in future years, we shall ever fondly cherish a remembrance of you and your dear departed companion and mother. My God bless you and your precious children, is our most fervent prayer.   C.  M. Stafford.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, August 26, 1880
A little child of Mr. and Mrs. Osborn Chamberlain, of this place, died on Monday evening last of cholera infantum.

[DOUGHERTY, SAMUEL, 1843 - 1881]
Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, October 6, 1881
Samuel Daugherty [Dougherty], an old and respectable citizen of East River township, died on Thursday night last. He had been sick but a short time. His loss will be felt by the whole community, who all mourn with the bereaved family.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, February 18, 1929, p. 8
Mrs. Pleasant Davison – Margaret Jane Ferguson was born in Andrew county, Mo., on April 17, 1846. She died at her home in Clarinda on Feb. 14, 1929, aged 82 years, 9 months, and 28 days. She was the daughter of William Henry and Nancy Ferguson. In the year 1852 the Ferguson family moved from Missouri to Page county, Ia., where Margaret Jane resided with her parents until 1862 when she was united in marriage with Pleasant Davison. They spent their life on the farm together until Mr. Davison died on the 12th day of September 1880. After her husband's death, Mrs. Davison continued to live on the farm for ten years and then moved to Clarinda where she has since lived.
Nine children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Davison: Charles of Shambaugh, Ia.; Edward, Allen, Clark, Lawrence, Clara (Mrs. L. E. Nelson), Jennie (Mrs. Ben Dow), and Harry, all of Clarinda. Henry, another son, died when he was but four years old.
Besides the eight children still living, there are left to mourn with them in the death of their mother, seventeen grandchildren, sixteen great grandchildren and a host of friends.
Funeral services for Mrs. Davison were held at the home on East Main street Saturday afternoon at 2:00 o'clock. The services were in charge of Dr. A. B. Thutt. Dr. and Mrs. Thutt sang "Lead Kindly Light," and "It is Well With My Soul."
Interment was in the Clarinda cemetery.
[Note: The same obituary was published in the Clarinda Herald, February 18, 1929, p. 6.]

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, September 16, 1880
Death of An Old Citizen
Mr. Pleasant Davidson [Davison] died at his residence in East River township on Sunday, the 12th inst. of typhoid malarial fever, aged about forty years.
Mr. Davidson [Davison] was sick about twenty days, but his symptoms were not considered dangerous until the Friday preceding his death, although he said before he was compelled to take [to] his bed that he would not get well. He was one of the oldest settlers in the county and loved and respected by all who knew him. By his death Page county loses one of her best citizens and his family a kind and loving husband and father. He leaves a wife and eight children, who have the sympathy of the entire community in which they reside. The funeral services took place at his residence on Tuesday, the 14th inst. and the remains were interred in the Shearer graveyard.
[Note: The name on his headstone is Davison.]

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, September 20, 1880
Mother Duncan, who has for years been living in Buchanan township, died on Thursday morning last and was buried in the Shearer cemetery on Friday. She was one of the kindest and noblest women that ever lived, and no one knew her but to love and respect her. She passed to the better land without leaving an enemy and the world is better from the fact that she lived in it. She leaves several children and many near relatives. All the people in that part of the county mourn her loss.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, October 6, 1881
DIED. – Mrs. Bettie A. Fales, on Sunday night, aged about sixty-one years, born in Virginia and came to Iowa in 1844.
She was the wife of our fellow townsman, J. [oseph] E. Fales, and a nobler and better woman never lived. They have been in our city for several years and she made numerous warm friends who all mourn her death. Tuesday morning she was laid in her last resting place in the cemetery and now her husband and children and all her many friends, mourn her loss. She was a kind-hearted mother and wife and will be greatly missed by all.

[FORT, EDITH, - 1880]
Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, August 5, 1880
Miss Edith Fort, who resided with her parents at Franklin Grove, near Essex, in this county, committed suicide on Wednesday of last week by hanging herself to an apple tree in her father's orchard. The body was not discovered until sometime afterward, when it was turned over to the proper authorities. The cause of her rash act is not known. For some time, she had seemed very much depressed in spirits and her friends had noticed that her conduct was somewhat singular, but the secret of her melancholy was never discovered. She is said to have been a young lady of many attractions and her tragic death is greatly deplored by all who knew her.

[FORT, EDITH, - 1880]
Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, August 12, 1880
According to the Essex Index, Edith Forth, the lady of whose suicide we made mention last week, had been married. The Index says: "The verdict of the jury was that she came to her death by hanging by her own hand. Mrs. Fort was a grass widow and worth considerable property. The cause of her committing the rash act is not known."

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, September 9, 1880
Mrs. Mary Hamaker died at the residence of her father, Mr. Rea, on Monday, Aug. 30th. Mrs. Hamaker for some time has been afflicted with consumption. She was buried on the Wednesday following.
[Note: Her maiden name is also spelled Rea in some records.]

[HEWITT, JAMES W., - 1880]
Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, November 18, 1880
DIED. – At his residence in Red Oak, on Tuesday morning last, Hon. J. [ames] W. Hewett, aged 45 years.
The deceased was a resident of this city for eleven years. He stood high as a lawyer; was twice elected Circuit Judge, being renominated for his second term without opposition; resigned before the expiration of his second term, owing to ill health; and was engaged in the practice of his profession at the time of his death. – Red Oak Express
[Note:  His last name is spelled Hewitt on his headstone.]

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, July 8, 1880
Death of Dr. J. C. Holmes
Dr. J. C. Holmes died at his residence in this city on Saturday morning, July 3, aged 37 years, 11 months and 5 days.
Julius C. Holmes was born at Parma, Monroe county, N. Y., July 28, 1842. He removed with his parents to Indiana at an early age and from thence to Rockville, Dubuque county, Iowa. He received his education at Cornell College, Mount Vernon, Iowa; studied the science of medicine first with Dr. Parker of Fayette, Iowa; took his first course of lectures at the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor; graduated with honors as an M. D. at Rush Medical College, Chicago.
Dr. Holmes was married at St. Louis, Oct. 23d, 1866, to Miss Susie Sorin, daughter of Rev. Dr. M. Sorin, then presiding elder of the St. Louis conference. Four children of this marriage survive him. Soon after his marriage the doctor removed to Iowa Falls, this state, where he united with the M. E. church, with which he again united at Clarinda about two years since. He came to Clarinda in 1871 and resided here continually until his death. His disease was tubercular consumption and his illness was long and painful.
He died in the full enjoyment of deep religious conviction and with a certain belief of rest in the life beyond. When friends came and prayed with him in his last hours, he responded to their prayers very fervently and praised God with his latest breath. And,
"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose
Mind is stayed on Thee."
Surely never man died a better or more perfect Christian than Dr. Holmes.
Of this dead man we wish to speak as we knew him and understood him. We cannot speak of him in fulsome praise or at great length for this would offend him were he alive. But this we may say. Dr. Julius Holmes was our friend and this we say because we are proud of the fact. He was a man we liked. We admired his many excellent qualities, we excused the few weaknesses he possessed. He wore his heart on his sleeve and daws did peck at it, yet he carried it in his hand and when he gave that hand it went with it. He was a true friend to a friend and grappled him to his breast with hooks of steel. Truly the earth was the richer for such a man and humanity the gainer by his existence. He leaves behind him many warm friends who will ever cherish his memory and who will gladly care for his widow and orphans, comfort them in their affliction and minister to them as they shall need ministering. Farewell, our friend. We hope to meet you again all in good time. Wait for us in your present abiding place, the glorious Land of the Real.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, April 14, 1881
DIED. – On Monday morning last, of heart disease, Henrietta Johnson, wife of S. [amuel] C. [aldwell] Johnson, at their residence just south of the city limits. She was about 61 years old, had lived a good Christian life and helped to raise quite a large family, the most of whom live to mourn her loss. The funeral services occurred at the Presbyterian church on Tuesday, after which the remains were taken to the cemetery and laid in their last resting place.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, September 8, 1881
From a letter received from J. B. Johnson, who is in Davenport, visiting his father-in-law, we learn that on the morning of the 3d inst., at 3:30 o'clock, their little daughter, aged one year and six months, died. She will be buried in her grandfather's burial ground in that city. This is sad news for their many friends here and all will regret to learn of their loss. It is also a sad blow to the bereaved parents and the sympathy of our whole community is extended to them in their bereavement.

Daily Capital News (Jefferson City, Missouri), Thursday, January 13, 1966, p. 9
Two Die as Car Plunges in Creek
Maryville, Mo. – Two persons were killed Tuesday night when their car swerved off U. S. 71, narrowly missed a bridge and plunged into White Cloud Creek about 15 miles south of Maryville.
The victims were Grant Arthur Knudson, 60, and his wife, Lois Effey Knudson, 67, of Hopkins, Mo. They were returning from St Joseph, where Mrs. Hudson [Knudson]
Dr. R. G. Garten, county coroner, ordered an inquest. He said there was a possibility Knudson had a heart attack while driving.



Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, November 18, 1880
R. B. Leech and wife, on the 10th inst., met with the sad misfortune of losing one of the brightest gems of their household. All our people remember the beautiful twins, who had made their home so happy and they had grown to be interesting to everybody, but the kind hand of Providence, that does all things for the best, called one of them, Clyde, to the better land and now there is a vacant seat in the household and the afflicted parents mourn with sad and sorrowing hearts. But while they mourn, they have the consolation of knowing that the little prattler is in the happy land, where all will be gathered sooner or later, and there through endless ages rejoice without parting. The loss is a sad one and while they mourn, as only the parent can, they are permitted to know that our whole community sympathizes with them in their bereavement. The funeral took place on Thursday and many of our people were present to pay the last sad rites and to help smooth the rugged path of those who are left behind.


[LEHMAN CHILD, - 1881]
Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, November 3, 1881
A two-year-old son of Mr. Lehman of our city, died Saturday night and was buried Sunday in the cemetery. The boy was a fine musician. The family doted upon him and are almost heartbroken.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, August 18, 1881
Obituary – At his residence, in Clarinda, Friday at 8 p. m., after a long and painful illness, Anthony Loranz, aged 70 years, 9 months and 13 days.
Mr. Loranz was born in Baden Baden, Germany and received his education in the schools of Ochran and at the hands of private tutors. He came with his parents to America in 1831 and located in Philadelphia, Pa. In 1839 he left there and settled in Lewiston, Ills. Here he lived until 1858, when he settled in Clarinda. He was married twice, raised a family of seven children by his first wife. During his life he held several offices; at the time of his death was post master of Clarinda, having held the office since 1869. The writer of this has known him from the time he first settled in Clarinda and knows his worth and enterprise in building up Clarinda. He was impulsive but had as warm a heart as ever beat in in the breast of any man. Much is due to his push and enterprise, in the building up of our own city. No enterprise was ever discussed that he did not stand in the front rank, not only ready to raise his voice in behalf of it, but with a liberality in money many times beyond what he should have done. He was a kind-hearted man to his family and friends and many times, years ago, he has given us friendly advice and we never have nor never will forget it. His friends were without number; his enemies we do not suppose he had one on earth. He was a consistent Christian, having been a member of the Presbyterian church for years. His loss will not only be felt by his church but by the whole community.
The funeral was held at his residence Sabbath afternoon and was conducted by his pastor, Rev. R. R. Westcott, assisted by Rev. D. C. Wilson. After which, the remains were taken to the cemetery, followed by the largest funeral procession ever seen in the city, where his remains were deposited and all mingled tears together at the loss of father Loranz. All will mourn his loss. It is a heavy and a sad blow to the family, but the separation is of short duration as it will be but a few short years until all will be again reunited on the beautiful shore, where all is love, peace and pleasure, where an all wise God rules, where sickness and sorrow are unknown, and pleasures are unbounded. Then let us bow our heads in submission to the will of Him that does all for the best and be prepared for the future home, not made with hands, eternal in the Heavens.

[LOY, JACOB, JR.,1850 - 1895]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, March 22, 1895, p. 4
Word came this morning that Jacob Loy, Jr., a son of Job Loy, deceased, and a brother of Mrs. Chas. Lyman, had died at San Francisco yesterday. The body is on its way here now and the funeral will probably occur the first of the week.

[LOY, JACOB, JR.,1850 - 1895]
Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, March 22, 1895, [p. 1]
A telegram was received here this morning from San Francisco announcing the death, yesterday, in that city, of Jacob Loy, jr., son of the late Job Loy. The remains of Jacob Loy, jr., left San Francisco this morning for Clarinda and on their arrival the funeral and interment will take place in this city. Announcement of the time of the funeral will be made as soon as it can be definitely given. The deceased was a former Clarinda boy, was raised here, where he was once in the drug business. He was well and favorably known in this community, where there are many to mourn his demise. He leaves a wife, the result of a second marriage. His first wife was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. T. Clement and is buried in the cemetery of this city. He has a sister, Mrs. Charles Lyman, living in Clarinda, and another sister, Mrs. Ed Hollis, residing at Hawleyville

[LOY, JACOB, JR.,1850 - 1895]
Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, March 28, 1895, p. 8
Obituary – Jacob Loy Jr., died at the home of his brother, W. [illiam] E. Loy, in San Francisco, Cal., Thursday, March 21, 1895, from heart disease, aged 44 years, 7 months and 6 days.
Mr. Loy was born Aug. 15, 1850, in Preble county, Ohio, and the same year his parents removed to this county and located just west of Clarinda. He received a common school education in the city schools and at the age of 19 entered the drug store of Dr. Conine as a clerk. In 1871 he and Dr. Van Sandt purchased the store and in 1875 the latter sold out to F. W. Parrish and Loy & Parrish continued the business until March 1881 when Mr. Loy sold out and opened a store at Coin.
September 16, 1879 he was married to Miss Jennie Clement of this city who died about three years afterward.
In the spring of 1885 he disposed of his Coin drug store and located on a farm in western Kansas. From there he went to Monte Vista, Colo., and purchased a drug store, still retaining his farm in Kansas where he conducted a successful business.
April 5, 1886, he was married to Miss Mary Kinder, of that city, and in 1891, on account of failing health they removed again to Kansas, but the cares of farm life was too much for him and desiring a change of climate they removed to California in 1894 and located in San Francisco, where he expected to engage in permanent business.
About a month ago while in the country he came in contact with poison oak and was laid up for a time but had nearly recovered and the day of his death had visited his old Clarinda friend, Mr. Clay Price and family. On his return home while in conversation with his wife his voice failed and on her looking around found him leaning against the window where he was sitting and before she reached him heart trouble had performed its deadly work—he had passed to the realms beyond and a noble life lamp was extinguished forever.
Mr. Loy was a man of kind disposition, charitable and a true man, highly respected by all who knew him, and his death is deeply mourned. His remains were shipped to this city yesterday, accompanied by his heart broken wife and the funeral took place at 2 o'clock this afternoon from the Universalist church, in the presence of a large concourse of friends, conducted by Rev. W. W. Merritt, of Red Oak, under the auspices of Nodaway Lodge No. 140, A. F. A. M., of which he had been an honored member for many years and his remains laid to rest in the city cemetery by the side of his deceased wife. May he rest in peace.

[LOY, JACOB, JR.,1850 - 1895]
Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, March 29, 1895, [p. 1]
Funeral of Jacob Loy
Burial of a Former Citizen of Clarinda—Notes of His Life
The remains of the late Jacob Loy, jr., whose death was announced in The Journal of last Friday, arrived in Clarinda Wednesday morning and were conveyed to the home in this city of the deceased man's sister, Mrs. Charles Lyman, where they remained until the funeral, which was held yesterday afternoon at the Universalist church. Nodaway lodge No. 140, A. F. and A. M. participated in the obsequies, giving their departed brother the honor of a Masonic burial. The sermon was by Rev. W. W. Merritt, the Universalist minister who had previously preached the funerals of Mr. Loy's father and mother. He took as his text the fourteenth chapter of John which was the Scripture reading. "Peaceful Rest," "The Unseen City" and "Nearer My God to Thee" were sung by a male quartet, Messrs. W. A. Frazier, S. W. Hurlbut, Thomas Tomlinson and Fred Tomlinson. The Masonic service was at the grave. M. R. Ansbach acted as Worshipful Master of the order and S. M. Crooks as marshal. A number of the Masons were in attendance from neighboring points and many from this city. The attendance of relatives and friends was large. The pall bearers were Messrs. Luther VanArsdol of Coin, A. B. Robinson, F. W. Parish, R. B. Hite, H. H. Scott and W. L. Lundy.
The burial was in the city cemetery beside Mr. Loy's first wife, who was Jennie Clement, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. T. Clement, whom he married in 1879 and who died in February 1881.
Mr. Loy died suddenly, Thursday of last week, in San Francisco, while with his wife, formerly Mrs. Kender, with whom he was united in marriage in Monte Vista, Col., in 1888. The widow and her sister, Mrs. Adams of Ottumwa, were present at the funeral.
Mr. Loy died at the age of 44 years, 7 months and 6 days. He was born in Preble county, O., and was brought to Clarinda with his parents in 1853 and resided here and in Coin until 1885.
As a boy he was a clerk in the drug store of Dr. J. H. Conine in Clarinda, was later a member of the drug firm of Loy & VanSandt, then he became a partner of F. W. Parish in the drug business. Loy & Parish also had a drug store in Coin as well as Clarinda for a time. In 1881 Mr. Parish took the Clarinda store and Mr. Loy the Coin store.
In 1885 Mr. Loy removed to Cheyenne county, Kan., where he had a large tract of land at St. Francis. A year later he went to Monte Vista, Col., where he was in the drug business until 1891. He then returned to St. Francis, Kan., leaving there last fall for California, for his health. While in California himself and wife became members of the Congregational church.
Mr. Loy was very highly esteemed. His good traits, honorable career and pleasant manners won him hosts of friends wherever he was known. He was an excellent business man.

[LOY, JACOB, JR.,1850 - 1895]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, March 29, 1895, p. 8
Obituary - Notes on the life of a loving husband and father, Jacob Loy, who died in San Francisco, Cal., at the home of his brother, W. [illiam] E. Loy, Thursday, March 21, from heart disease.
Jacob Loy was born in Preble county, Ohio, August 15, 1850, and died in San Francisco, Cal., March 21, 1895, aged 45 years, 7 months and 5 days. He was the fifth child of a family of seven. Four survive him, two sons and two daughters. One son and one daughter, and both their parents having passed to their heavenly estate.
He removed with his parents to Clarinda in 1853 and grew to manhood and was identified with the business and social interests of this place until his removal to Coin in 1881 and to St Francis, Kansas, in 1885, where he remained for a short time. In 1887 he removed to Monte Vista, Cal. In consequence of failing health, he returned to Kansas and remained 3 years. Last November he removed to San Francisco, Cal., with the hope of improving his health.
He was married in this city in 1879 to Jennie Clement, who died in February 1881. In 1888 he was married to Mary Kinder, of Monte Vista, Cal., who survives him after a companionship of seven years.
About six weeks ago, he with his wife united with the Congregational church.
His loss is mourned by a large circle of relatives and acquaintances. His wife's sister, Mrs Adams, of Ottumwa, his niece and her husband, Mr and Mrs Myers, of Villisca, Mr and Mrs Hollis, of Hawleyville, were the relatives from abroad who were present at the funeral, which was held at the Universalist church yesterday afternoon at two o'clock, conducted by the order of Free Masons, of which Mr Loy was an honored member. . ..

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, March 3, 1881
Obituary – On Friday morning, February 25th, Jennie, wife of Jacob Loy, Jr. and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. T. Clement, died at her home in this city. A little over one year ago they were married and received the congratulations of all our people. She, as well as her husband, had grown up in our city and was loved and esteemed by all who knew her and when they were married it was hoped that a long and happy life lay before them; but the fell destroyer, in the bloom of womanhood, entered the family circle and placed his icy hands upon her and claimed her as his own, thus desolating a once happy home. But such are the decrees of Him who cares for and protects all, and He does all things for the best. He works His own good way, and all must submit and suffer the bereavement until He takes the sufferer to join those who have gone before. It is sad, almost unbearable, to be thus severed; but such is fate and while the suffering is great let it be remembered that in the next meeting there will be no parting.
The funeral services took place on Sunday, at 2:30 p. m., at the Methodist church and were conducted by Revs. Blodgett, Malcolm and Wilson, after which the remains were taken to the cemetery and consigned to their lasting place. The bereaved husband, as well as the family of Mr. Clement, have the sympathy of the entire community.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, August 19, 1880
Mr. John A. Lydick, formerly of this county and of Clarinda, died at Malvern on the 9th inst., aged 38. The body was brought to Shenandoah for burial. Mr. Lydick was well known in this county as a stock buyer and was a gentleman universally respected. His death will be regretted by all who knew him.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, September 2, 1880
She Slept the Sleep of Death
About six o'clock on Friday evening last Mrs. Helen Markel, living eight miles west of Clarinda, died from the effects of too much morphine. Mrs. M. had been for a number of years a sufferer from neuralgia of the heart and was in the habit of taking morphine, as she thought she required it and always kept a supply in the house. During her last attack she took alcohol and morphine together for some three days. It is not known how morphine she took, but from some cause it all took effect seemingly at once and the result was that she passed into a sleep from which she never rallied. Medical aid was summoned and everything possible done to awaken her but to no avail.

Mrs. Markel was born in the State of New York and was 42 years old. She was a resident of this State some fourteen years and of this county about two years. She had only been married to Mr. Solomon Markel about two years. Mr. Markel has the most sincere sympathy of the community in which he resides.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, August 26, 1880
Mrs. Minda Marshall, wife of Ed. Marshall (colored), of Clarinda, died on Tuesday night last after a long illness of [words unreadable].

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, June 17, 1880
Mrs. McCartey, mother of Mrs. Wm. Butler, died on Thursday of last week. She was an aged lady and her death is mainly to be attributed to her infirmity in that respect. She was a most estimable character and her work in this world has ever been for good. The body was taken to Cleveland, Ohio, for interment, Mr. and Mrs. Butler and Mr. Edson McCartey accompanying it.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, August 5, 1880

Mrs. W. [illiam] S. [harp] McClellan[d] died at the residence of her husband Monday morning and was buried Tuesday at the cemetery six miles from Clarinda. Rev. Williamson preached a sermon on the occasion.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, September 23, 1929, [p. 1]
Mrs. McClenahan Passes Away in Colorado
Daughter of Late M. R. Ansbach Dies Suddenly While in Colorado Springs to Attend Eastern Star Meeting
Word was received yesterday that Mrs. E. C. McClenahan of Greeley, Colo., formerly Miss Amalia Ansbach of this city, had passed away and a telephone message to Miss Florence White later in the day stated that the body would arrive here Wednesday afternoon for burial in the city cemetery. Mrs. McClenahan has not been well for some time and has been in a hospital the greater part of the time since she returned from her recent visit to Clarinda but was able to go to her home a short time ago. She was very prominent in Eastern Star work in Colorado, having been Grand Worthy Matron and went to Colorado Springs to attend a meeting of this order where she passed away last Saturday evening. Her brothers, Guy and Percy Ansbach, are enroute form their homes in California and will arrive in Greeley tomorrow and with the husband, Mr. McClenahan, will accompany the body to Clarinda. Mrs. McClenahan was a daughter of the late M. [artin] R. [obert] Ansbach and grew to young womanhood in Clarinda, where she has many friends who will be saddened to hear this information. The services here will be at the grave.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, September 30, 1929, p. 4
Amalia Fredrika Ansbach, daughter of the late Martin R. [obert] and Harriet Jewett Ansbach, was born in Sidney, Iowa, Sept. 29, 1871, removing to Clarinda with her parents in 1878. Her early education was obtained in the Clarinda public schools, completed by an academic course in Notre Dame, South Bend, Ind., from which institution she graduated in 1889.
For several years she assisted her father in his mercantile business, acting as cashier and bookkeeper, leaving this employment in the winter of 1894 to assist in the care of her mother, who passed away in January 1895.
Her marriage, for which preparations had already been made, and which were completed at her mother's request, occurred April 17, 1895, when she was united by the solemn vows to Emmet H. McClenahan.
Following a serious illness in 1896 they removed to Greeley, Colo., where they have since resided, being for many years engaged in the mercantile business.
Her life was spent in activity in civic, club and fraternal circles, with an ever alert ear for those less fortunate. As soon as she was eligible, she became a member of the Order of the Eastern Star and P. E. O. sisterhoods and her activities have been unceasing until her passing.
Having filled all the offices of the local chapters she was selected for work in the grand chapter and filled all the grand offices of the O. E. S. and was grand secretary of P. E. O., having been forced to refuse the grand presidency of the P. E. O. because of her heath.
In her Eastern Star activity, she served nine months as acting grand worthy matron because of the illness of this officer, serving her own term of one year following, being the first grand matron to visit all the chapters in Colorado, numbering one hundred twenty-two and in practically every one of these chapters she was elected an honorary life member. 
Mrs. McClenahan was considered the best authority in Colorado on the constitution and by-laws of the O. E. S., and in 1924 was the delegate representing the state of Colorado at the International Great Grand Lodge of this order held in Toronto, Canada, where she was appointed on the committee of foreign relations. The Great Grand Lodge meets every three years, the last meeting being in Denver in 1927.
Mrs. McClenahan having been called to Clarinda by the illness of her father who insisted on her attending this Great Grand Lodge assembly that she might deliver her report and fill her position as chairman of the reception committee. By virtue of her being Grand Matron at the time of the selection of Denver as the convention city, she appointed all the committees at this time.
The night before the convention she was summoned by long distance telephone to her father who faced a dangerous operation the following morning. From this time for five months her care and watchfulness were unceasing and untiring. Following the death of her father, which occurred the latter part of November her health failed rapidly.
During the World War, Mrs. McClenahan became very active in Red Cross work, being elected secretary of the Weld county chapter and organized fifty-five branches in that county. During this period, averaging sixteen hours a day in her office in the court house where there were daily ninety women engaged in these activities. Mrs. McClenahan had the distribution of over one hundred fifty thousand dollars for supplies and when her books were audited, they balanced to a penny. She served as secretary of the Red cross continually until called to Clarinda because of her father's failing health two years. Because of her activities Mrs. McClenahan held a certificate signed by William Howard Taft, who was president of the National Red Cross during the war and the gold emblem of the order, the gift of the national organization.
She was one of the prime movers in the organization of the Community Chest in Greeley, being its first secretary, a member of the Greeley Woman's club from organization, also being its first secretary and at her passing was a member of the legislative council of this organization.
Mrs. McClenahan was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, her mother being a member of the well-known Jewett family of Revolutionary history.
Mrs. McClenahan was a member of the Pent Alpha club of Denver, which consists of the matrons of the local chapters of O. E. S. while she was grand matron.
Having always been interested in educational work and having no children of her own, she and her husband sponsored the education of a boy and girl who are now finished products holding responsible positions, besides assisting many others. Her home was ever open to the young people of the community and her comfort, council and help was continually sought by students to whom she was lovingly known as Auntie Mac.
On account of her many activities Mrs. McClenahan was probably one of the best-known women of Colorado. Being capable, trained and willing worker, she was constantly called to action and never faltered.
Her home was never neglected nor her duties to those of blood.
On Thursday, Sept. 19, 1929, Mrs. McClenahan left her home in Greeley for the Grand Lodge of the O. E. S. in Colorado Springs, being a member of the Jurisprudence committee, which had charge of the revision of the constitution and by-laws of the order.
On Saturday morning, Sept. 21, she was to make her report, a manuscript of twenty-six closely typewritten pages. After reading this report which was adopted by unanimous rising vote, acknowledging greetings, bowing and smiling, Mrs. McClenahan walked from the platform to the rear of the auditorium where the balance of her committee were waiting, sat on her chair, her chin fell and all was over. Her husband being in Denver on business, was located by radio, came to Colorado Springs, talking Mrs. McClenahan to her home in Greeley where services were held on Tuesday afternoon at 2:30, conducted by the Christian Science church and grand chapter of the O. E. S., all of the grand officers being present. Each of the many organizations of which she was a member attended these services in a body, including the Phi Kappa, a sorority of which Mrs. McClenahan was a patroness.
After these services many of her friends journeyed to La Salle, Colo., where she was tenderly placed on the Union Pacific train, brought to Clarinda, and laid to rest in the Ansbach lot with other members of her family. The commitment services were read by Miss Florence White of the Christian Science church of Clarinda. Mrs. McClenahan is survived by her devoted husband, Emmett H. McClenahan who is one of the best-known men in Colorado and two brothers, Guy M. Ansbach of Long Beach, Calif., and Percy M. Ansbach of Oakland, Calif.
Dr. E. W. Freeland, past grand sentinel of the O. E. S. of Iowa, attended the service in Clarinda as a representative of Mrs. Ethel Seidler of Jamaica, grand worthy matron of Iowa.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, January 27, 1881
Obituary – From the Denver News we learn of the death of Alvin McCune, son-in-law of our fellow townsman John Whitcomb. The old settlers of 1859 will remember him as the genial accomplished gentleman that was here and at Hawleyville. But on the 12 inst. heart disease laid him low. We condense the lengthy notice of the News and give the following:
"The family—the widow and orphaned daughter—are plunged into the wildest grief over the sad event. The depth of their sorrow is truly unmeasurable. A devoted husband and father, he was idolized by his family and beloved by all who had the honor of his acquaintance.
Alvin McCune was born in Schoharie county, New York, in 1827. After completing an academic course of study at Jefferson academy, he began at the age of nineteen to read law in Albany and New York city, and was deeply engaged in this study when the war between Mexico and the United [States] fired his young heart with patriotic sentiments and decided him to abandon Blackstone for the nobler profession of arms. Enlisting in the First New York volunteers, Colonel Burnet commanding, his regiment was forwarded without loss of time to the theatre of war and during the succeeding two years fought its way gallantly under the leadership of Scott, winning fresh renown in the battles of Vera Cruz, Churubusco, Contreras, Cerra Gordo and Chapultepec.
At the close of the war Alvin McCune was mustered out of the service in New Orleans in 1848. He went to New York state and engaged in mercantile pursuits in his native town of Blenheim for a year or so after which he worked as a painter in Philadelphia and Washington city; thence to Binghamton, Corning, Deposit, in New York and afterward in Scranton, Pennsylvania where he resided about two years.
In 1857 he went to Wisconsin, where he lived a while and then moved to Missouri, doing business in Hannibal and afterwards to Iowa, working in the little town of Hawleyville.
From Hawleyville he went to Forest City, Missouri, and thence to Denver in 1860. Plunging into the mines he prospected and mined for gold in California gulch, little dreaming that one day he should see the greatest mining camp located on the site of his own unsuccessful diggings. Returning to Denver he resumed his business as a sign painter, and in a short time owned the largest paint and oil store in the state. From 1865 to 1875 his business had made wonderful increase and he found himself a comparatively wealthy man. But misfortunes overtook him and hovered over him so long it seemed at one time as though they would engulf him in ruin. Operations in real estate had proved very disastrous—his capital in business was swallowed up and from a position of affluence he found himself a poor man.
His sacrifices and manly struggles to avert his misfortunes are known to every old citizen of Denver and his efforts latterly had bid fair to once more place him in a position of plenty."

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, March 24, 1881
A Sad Death
On Thursday last one of the most difficult surgical operations to perform was performed on Mrs. S. E. McIrvin of our city. It was the removal of an ovarian tumor weighing thirty pounds. The operation was performed by Dr. A. V. Banes, of St. Joseph, assisted by Drs. Craig and McCramer, of the same city, Dr. Smith of Craig, Mo. and Dr. Enfield, of our own city. The operation was considered a very skillful one and for a short time it was thought she would withstand it but on Friday morning she commenced to sink and late in the afternoon died. She was 54 years of age and had been a member of the M. E. church for 32 years. On Saturday morning her remains were taken to Chillicothe, Mo., her former home and on Sunday, at 3:00 p. m., were laid to rest in that city. She had been a resident of our town but a short time but was highly esteemed by all who knew her. The family have the sympathy of the entire community in their sad bereavement.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, January 13, 1881
DIED. – Infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Dr. McIrvin, of this city. They took its remains on Monday night to Chillicothe for burial. It was a bright little child and the bereaved parents have the sympathy of our people.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, August 25, 1881
Died. – On Saturday night, at 12 o'clock, Miss Hattie Morland, daughter of G. W. Morland, who resides a few miles south of Clarinda, of quick consumption. She was confined to her room but a few weeks and was about twenty-two years old. She was esteemed and loved by all, and her parents dotes upon her. Her loss is a sad one to the bereaved family.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, July 22, 1880, p. 3
A child of Mr. and Mrs. Ed. Morledge, of Clarinda, died on Saturday night last of cholera infantum and was buried on Monday. It was about one year old.

Omaha Daily Bee (Omaha, Nebraska), Thursday, June 17, 1915, p. 5
Dr. A. Morsman Dies of Apoplectic Stroke
Falls City, Neb., June 16. – (Special Telegram) – Dr. A. [lbert] Morsman was stricken with apoplexy while on his way down town this morning and died thirty minutes later at the home of Dr. Miners. Dr. Morsman came here from Wichita eight years ago and engaged in the drug business. He leaves a widow, two daughters and a son.
Everett, the oldest daughter, resides on a ranch in Montana. A brother lives at Los Angeles, Cal., and another at Omaha.
The body will in all probability be taken to Iowa City, Ia., for burial.

Nebraska State Journal (Lincoln, Nebraska), Thursday, June 17, 1915, p. 3
Falls City, June 16. – A. Morsman, druggist, was overcome by a stroke of apoplexy about 8 o'clock this morning on his way to his store. He had arrived at Dr. Miner's residence and feeling faint started in to see the doctor, but he fell upon the porch. He was carried into the library and expired in thirty minutes. He leaves a wife and several children. His son, Westle [Westel] Morsman, is deputy county treasurer and was to have been married within a few days. He came here from Wichita, Kas., eight years ago. One of his brothers is an attorney in Omaha.

Lincoln Journal Star (Lincoln, Nebraska), Tuesday, April 7, 1925, p. 5
OMAHA April 7. – Edgar M. [artin] Morsman, eighty-four, pioneer telephone and express man, died here this morning. Morsman was for many years a leader in the business and social life of the city.

Lincoln Star (Lincoln, Nebraska), Tuesday, April 7, 1925, p. 7
E. M. Morsman Is Dead at Omaha
Pioneer Business Man Succumbs to Infirmities of Age
OMAHA, April 7. – Edgar M. [artin] Morsman, 85, Civil war veteran and a pioneer in the railway express business in the middle west, died at his home here last night of infirmities due to old age.
Mr. Morsman came to Omaha when he was 20 years old and then moved to Iowa City, Ia. In the spring of 1859 he drove a team of oxen from Iowa City to Pikes Peak in a quest for gold. Later he settled in Omaha, in 1866, residing here ever since. He was a partner with Clark Woodmah in the linseed oil business, vice president of the Carter White Lead company for several years, a director and officer in the Northwest Bell Telephone company and a director of the Commercial National and U. S. National banks of Omaha.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Nov 14, 1924, p. 3
Harley Elisha Morsman, son of Dr Moses J. Morsman, and Mary Margaret Hubbard, was born in Castalia, Ohio, on May 14th, 1845 and departed this life on November 8th, 1924. In the early years of his life his parents moved to Iowa City, Iowa, where he grew to manhood. He had business connections with the Express Company and for a number of years was Express manager with headquarters at Sedalia, Missouri.
He was married to Estelle Lyon and was the father of six children, four of whom and his wife are deceased.
He is survived by three brothers, E. [dward] M. [artin] Morsman, of Omaha, W. [estel] W. Morsman, of Los Angeles and Herman A. [lva] Morsman, of St Louis. He was a brother of the Dorman J. Morsman, Mrs W. [illiam] P. [eters] Hepburn and Mrs L. A. Porter, all deceased.
He was of a retiring disposition and consequently was intimate with but few people.
To all whom he met he was dignified, gentlemanly and scrupulously honest. For many years he was a resident in the home of his sister, Mrs W. [illiam] P. [eters] Hepburn and many who did not enjoy an intimate acquaintance with him otherwise will remember him in his association with his sister.
On account of advanced years, his brother, E. [dward] M. [artin] of Omaha, was unable to see him frequently, but was in close touch with him during his life time as were his other brothers and relatives who are at remote distances from Clarinda.
Funeral services were held Sunday, November 9th, 1924, at the Harmon funeral home conducted by Dr A. T. Bishop, pastor of the M.E. church.
Besides his friends and acquaintances in Clarinda, a nephew, R. P. Morsman, of Omaha was in attendance. Interment was made in the family lot in the Clarinda cemetery. 
[Note: The same obituary was published in the Clarinda Herald, November 13, 1924, p. 5.]

Iowa City Press-Citizen (Iowa City, Iowa), Saturday, January 12, 1924, page 7
Daughter of Local Woman Dies in West
Mrs. May Kenyon Morsman, 68 years old, daughter of Mrs. Sarah M. Kenyon of Iowa City, is dead in Falls City, Neb., according to a message received in Iowa City today. The burial will be in Falls City, on Monday, January 14.
Mrs. Morsman once lived in Iowa City, leaving here for the west about 30 years ago.
Beside her mother, she is survived by one son and two daughters in Falls City; and two brothers, W. D. Kenyon of Seattle, Wash., and L. L. Kenyon of Iowa City.

Nebraska State Journal (Lincoln, Nebraska), Thursday, January 17, 1924, p. 11
Falls City – Mrs. May K. [enyon] Morsman, widow of the late Albert Morsman, who was purchasing agent of the Pacific Fruit Express company at Omaha for a number of years, died here.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, September 16, 1898, [p. 1]
Dr. Moses J. Morsman Dead
He Was the Father of Mrs. W. P. Hepburn of Clarinda
Dr. Moses J. [enery] Morsman, father of Mrs. W. [illiam] P. [eters] Hepburn of Clarinda, died Monday night at his home in Iowa City. He had been an invalid for the previous five years, the last two of which he was confined to his room. Colonel and Mrs. Hepburn left Tuesday evening for Iowa City to attend the funeral. The late Dr. Morsman was 87 years of age. He was born at Sackett's Harbor, N. Y. After acquiring his profession, that of a physician, he moved to Erie county, O., and in 1845 came to Iowa City, this state, where he resided continuously until his death. At that place he practiced medicine for 15 years and then became president of the First National bank of Iowa City, which position he held until 15 years ago, since which time he has lived a retired life. The doctor leaves the following sons and daughters: E. [dgar] M. [artin] Morsman, W. [estel] W. Morsman and Dr. Albert Morsman, Omaha; Harley E. [lisha] Morsman and Herman Morsman, St. Louis; Dorman J. Morsman, Dallas, Tex.; Mrs. L. A. Porter, Iowa City and Mrs. W. [illiam] P.[eters] Hepburn, Clarinda.

Los Angeles Times (Los Angeles, California), Sunday, May 22, 1932, p. 20

Morsman, May 20, 1932, at 6726 Sunset Boulevard, Westel W. Morsman, beloved husband of Mary L. Morsman.
Funeral services will be held Monday, May 23, at 10:30 a. m. from the chapel of Gates, Crane & Earl, 1724 North Highland avenue, Hollywood.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, January 6, 1881
Samuel J. Ohl, a carpenter who lived at Coin and worked for Mahlon Jones the past summer, died very suddenly on Tuesday of last week. Mr. Ohl formerly lived in Clarinda, was a fine young man and has many friends here will regret to learn of his death. He leaves a wife and one child.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, March 24, 1881
Deliberate Suicide
On Tuesday last Manford Roberts, a young man of our city, was found hanging to the limb of a large elm tree, just east of the river, dead. He had been missing since Thursday last and it is supposed hung himself on that day. He was found by a couple of young men about one o'clock on Tuesday and they came to town and reported it. Thomas Evans, Coroner, repaired to the scene and empaneled the following jury: F. M. Berry, E. Stoney, and W. C. Stillians. After taking the testimony they rendered a verdict of death by hanging. For some time past he has been despondent, and many say they are not surprised at the way he terminated his life.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, July 21, 1881
Died. – Captain C. [uthbert] A. [lexander] Scott, in Denver, Col., July 15, 1881, of acute dropsy, aged 49 years.
He was once a resident of Clarinda and will be remembered by many old citizens of that place. He moved from there to St. Joseph, Mo. He leaves a wife and one daughter to mourn his loss. Miss Eva and her mother who are thus bereaved, have the heartfelt sympathy of a large circle of friends. Mere words are poor relief to the grief burdened mind when the nearest ones to us in this life are taken away, but they serve to show that our friends would do more if in their power and after many days the earnest, silent sympathy of friends seems to have a soothing influence that softens the harshest sorrows. – Villisca Review

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, July 21, 1881
Alex Scott, who will be remembered by the older citizens of Clarinda, died recently at Denver, Col., of acute dropsy. At the beginning of the war Mr. Scott was living in Clarinda and engaged in the harness making business. He enlisted in the first company that was organized in Page county, of which Thos. Bowen was captain. Mr. Scott was elected second Lieutenant of the company. When he returned from the army, he made his home in St. Joseph, Mo. and lived there a number of years.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, February 24, 1881
DIED. – On the 17th inst., at the residence of Henry Farrens, Mrs. Kate Shown [Showen], of consumption, aged 31 years, 10 months and 4 days. She was a daughter of our fellow townsman Col. Morledge. She had been married for some time and until recently had lived in Kansas. She was a Christian lady and had many warm and admiring friends, who deeply mourn her loss. She leaves a husband and two children to weep over her demise. The funeral services took place on Sunday and the remains were interred in the cemetery north of town.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, March 3, 1881
S. [ilas] W. [esley] Stotler died at his residence in East River township, Feb. 23d, of typhoid pneumonia, aged about 50 years. He was a noble man and one of the best citizens in the county and his loss will be felt in the whole community. He leaves a family, as well as many friends, to mourn his loss.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, August 25, 1881
Mrs. F. [annie] H[elen] Strunk, wife of W. [illiam] H. [enry], who resides west of town, died near La Harpe, Ill., on the 9th inst. She had gone back there on a visit and also for health but could not regain it. She was about thirty years old, was a noble woman and her loss is heavily felt by her husband and many friends.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, July 29, 1880
Mr. and Mrs. Donald Sutherland lost their little daughter, Ida May, by death on Friday afternoon last. The child was only about 12 years of age, but she had been a sufferer from consumption for nearly two years. She bore her sufferings with great fortitude and resignation and gave every evidence of a religious nature very remarkable in one so young. Her funeral took place on Saturday, Rev. Williamson conducting the services. The body was placed in our cemetery. "It is well with the child."

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, October 27, 1881
Died. – On Thursday last, W. [illiam] R. [alls] Tippen [Tippin] of Harlan township. He was one of Page county's oldest and best citizens and all regret to learn of his death. He had been sick but a few days.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Tuesday, March 24, 1896, p. 3
Mrs. J. [ohn] T. Walker died last evening at her home on 18th street. The lady has long been an invalid and only recently moved here from Buchanan township. The funeral services occur tomorrow, and services will be conducted by Rev. E. N. Miller. Interment at Shearer cemetery in Buchanan township. Obituary will be published in Friday's issue.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, March 26, 1896, p. 5
DIED. – Mrs. Lydia Walker, wife of John T. Walker, died at their home in west Clarinda, Monday evening, March 23, 1896, after a few weeks' illness, aged 67 years, 5 months and 10 days. Mrs. Lydia A. Jeffers was born in Preston county, West Virginia, Oct. 13, 1828, and with her parents moved to Lee county, Iowa, 1839. Here she was married to John T. Walker, March 23, 1845, where they resided until 1853 ad in 1856 came to Page county, settling in Buchanan township, where they have since resided. She was the mother of three sons, two of whom survive her. In 1852 she was united with the M. E. church and was a devoted member thereof for twenty-five years, when she joined the Free Methodist church and continued to live a true Christian life. A short time ago they sold their farm and purchased property in this city, removing here about two weeks ago, she being in feeble health then. A remarkable circumstance of her life history was the fact that four hours previous to her death fifty-one years ago she was led to the marriage altar by Mr. Walker. She was a pure and noble woman and highly esteemed by all who knew her. The funeral took place yesterday at the Union church in Buchanan township, conducted by her pastor, Rev. R. F. Johnston, of College Springs Free Methodist church, assisted by Rev. Miller, of this city, and her remains laid to rest in the Shearer cemetery in the presence of a large concourse of sympathizing friends.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, March 27, 1896, [p. 1]
Mrs. Lydia A. [nn] wife of John T. Walker, died Monday, March 23, 1896, at 7:05 p. m. at her home in this city, formerly the G. I. Miller property, south of his old family residence. The family had but recently moved there from Buchanan township. The maiden name of the late Mrs. Walker was Jeffers. She was born Oct. 13, 1828, in Preston county, W. Va.; came to Lee county, Ia., in May 1839; was married in that county, March 23, 1845, to John T. Walker. They moved to Mahaska county, Ia., in 1853, and to Page county in 1856. The deceased was converted in the Methodist Episcopal church in 1852, living a consistent Christian life in that church for twenty-five years. In 1877 she joined the Pleasant Hill Free Methodist church in Buchanan township, in which she died a faithful member and leaving behind her the example of a good life. A husband, two sons, and thirteen grandchildren survive. Of the surviving sons, William lives in Buchanan township and George in Clarinda. Another son, John, died several years ago and is buried at College Springs. Mrs. Walker died on the anniversary of her marriage, having lived fifty-one years and four hours with her husband and dying at the age of 67 years, 5 months and 10 days. The funeral was held Wednesday at the Union church, Buchanan township and the burial was in the Shearer graveyard in that township. Rev. R. F. Johnston, pastor of the College Springs and Pleasant Hill Free Methodist churches, officiated.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, March 27, 1896, p. 8
Lydia A. [nn] Jeffers was born Oct. 13, 1828, in Preston county, West Virginia. She moved to Lee county, Iowa in May 1839 and was married to John T. Walker March 23, 1845, in Lee county, Iowa. They moved from there to Mahaska county in 1853 and from there to Page county in 1856. She was converted in the M. E. church in 1852 and lived a consistent Christian life until she died. She joined the Free Methodist church in 1877 in which connection she died. She was the mother of three sons, two of which survive her. She leaves a husband, two sons and 13 grandchildren to mourn her departure. She departed this life March 23, 1896, aged 67 years, 5 months and 10 days. Father and Mother Walker traveled the path of life together for 51 years and 4 hours.    R. F. Johnston, Pastor, College Springs, Ia.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, June 9, 1881
DIED. – At his residence in Clarinda, June 7, 1881, Joel Whitcomb. He was born in Hancock [Hillsborough] county, N. H., Oct. 18, 1799, and was 81 years, 7 months and 18 days old. He had been a citizen of Page county for many years and of Clarinda for the past few years. He had always been an honorable upright citizen and was liked by all. He has been sick for nearly a year and knew that he was going to enter the realities of the unknown world and just before his final separation, asked the friends to sing, saying he was going home. He leaves a wife and many relatives and friends to mourn his loss.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, November 25, 1891, [p. 1]
Aunt Martha Whitcomb died Wednesday morning at the ripe old age of 73 years, 4 months and 3 days. Funeral services to-morrow at 1:30 at late residence. 

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, December 2, 1891
Martha Whitcomb died at her residence in Clarinda, Iowa, Nov 25, 1891, at the age of 73 years, 4 months and 3 days.
She was born at Hatley, Canada, in the year 1818, was married to Joel Whitcombe at Hatley, Canada, in February, 1855, moved to Tazewell county, Ill., and thence to Page county, Iowa, in the fall of 1856, and has lived here since that time.
She has lived a consistent Christian woman and for years a constant sufferer and died in the belief of the Second Advent faith.