submitted by: Julia Johnson -

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, June 30, 1927, p. 6
Mrs. M. R. Ansbach – The funeral of Mrs. M. [artin] R. Ansbach was held Monday afternoon at her late home on North Sixteenth street, conducted by Dr. A. T. Bishop, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church. Interment was in Clarinda cemetery.
Mrs. Ansbach was of a particularly lovely and gracious disposition, thoughtful of others. Her soft voice and gentle manner endeared her to all who knew her. The following obituary was read at the funeral:
Isabelle Weidner Ansbach, daughter of Samuel and Emiline Weidner, was born Aug. 24, 1849, at New Burlington, Delaware county, Ind., and died June 25, 1927, at Clarinda, Iowa. 
In early childhood days she removed with her parents to Page county, Iowa. She was united in marriage to Dr. Wm. P. Jeffrey, April 23, 1872. To this union two children were born, F. [rank] Dana and Cordelia, who with their father have already preceded her to that other land many years ago.
She united with the Methodist church at the age of nine years, while still living in Indiana, and was a devoted and faithful member for 51 years. For the last twelve years she studied Christian Science.
On Sept. 9, 1901, she was united in marriage with M. [artin] R. Ansbach, the beloved husband who survives her. Their married life was an unusually happy one.
Besides her beloved husband and his three children, Amelia A. McClenahan, Greeley, Colo., Guy M. Ansbach, Long Beach, Cal., and Percy M. Ansbach, San Francisco, Calif., she leaves her aged sister, Mrs. Alice Lewellyn, Webster Grove, Mo., one niece, Mrs. May Yenawine, Webster Grove, Mo., three nephews, Harley Lewellyn, Little Rock, Ark., F. E. Weidner, York, Nebr., and Grant Weidner, Omaha, Nebr., other relatives and many friends to mourn her passing.
She was a member of Chapter A E, P. E. O. Sisterhood and Clarinda Chapter No. 214 Order of the Eastern Star of Clarinda.
Those from out of town in attendance at the funeral were Mrs. Mae Yenawine, Webster Grove, Mo.; Mr. and Mrs. Harley Lewellyn, Little Rock, Ark.; Frank Weidner, York, Nebr.; Mr. and Mrs. Grant Weidner, Omaha; Mr. and Mrs. John B. Howell, Lincoln, Nebr.; Mrs. W. J. Calfee, Lincoln, Nebr.; Mrs. John Dearborn, Red Oak.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, February 8, 1901, p. 6
The body of Mrs. Robert Babcock, who formerly resided near here, but late of the vicinity of Sioux City, was brought here last Friday for burial. Her parents, residing near here, are Mr. and Mrs. E. Maranville.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Tuesday, December 1, 1896, p. 4 
At Rest
Mrs. Sarah Bramble, mother of John Bramble, of this city, died at New Market, Monday, Nov. 30, aged 79 years, 6 months and 29 days.
The funeral services will be held in the M. E. church at New Market on Wednesday, Dec. 2, at 10:30 a. m., conducted by Rev. M. G. Rambo.
Sarah Cobb was born in England, Jan. 1, 1817; came to this country when six months old and was married to James Bramble on Feb. 9, 1837, at East Maysville, Kentucky. Afterwards moved from there to Ripley, Ohio, where nine children, seven boys and two girls, were born to them. In 1854 they moved to Illinois where her husband died Feb. 3, 1864. In 1875 deceased moved to Iowa, where she has since resided.
When twelve years of age, Mrs. Bramble joined the M. E. church and has always lived a good Christian life, loved and respected by all who knew her.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, August 28, 1889, [p. 1]
Obituary – Died, Aug. 21, 1889, Myrtle V., daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Morgan Burwell, aged 19 years, 10 months and 29 days. Her illness was consumption, that dread disease of youth. She bore her suffering without complaint and faced death without a fear.
A very large concourse of people assembled at the house of mourning at 2 p. m. the 22d of August, when befitting exercises were held. Messrs. Tomlinson and Vance, Miss Tomlinson and Mrs. McCutcheon, of this city, sang and Rev. T. C. Smith spoke from the text, "Be ye also ready, for in the hour ye think not the Son of Man cometh." Luke 12:40.
Many beautiful flowers were sent, among them some white lilies for the hands and an anchor of white roses, from the Young People's Society of the Presbyterian church. After the services the long procession moved to our beautiful cemetery and there laid to rest the form of one who was beautiful even in death.
Six young ladies served as pallbearers—associates and friends in life and health.
[Poem not transcribed.]

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, March 13, 1889, p.8
Sad Death. – Last Saturday an inquest was held over the body of N. [els] B. [urdette] Christensen, of Washington township, and the jurors, T. R. Stockton, John Murphy and P. T. Dowell, presided over by Coroner Millen, rendered the following verdict: "The deceased came to his death by drowning in a well occasioned by his own act, he being of an unsound mind and that he alone is responsible for his death."
This is indeed a sad death and teaches that parties of an unsound mind should be looked after very carefully in the future.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, August 21, 1889, p. 5
The little child of Mr. and Mrs. Claybaker, which suffered so intensely from cholera infantum and other subsequent ailments died on Saturday of last week. The parents have the heartfelt sympathy of the community in their bereavement.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, March 31, 1924, p. 5
J. C. Clipson – A telegram to Clarinda friends of J. [ohn] C. [larence] Clipson tells of his death at his home in Okmulgee, Okla., the remains being brought here, to arrive Monday evening and will be taken to the home of Mr. W. O. Hutchings. It is planned that the funeral services be held Tuesday at 2:30 at M. E. church. The G. A. R. comrades of Mr. Clipson will attend in a body, the Methodist pastor, Dr. A. T. Bishop, having charge of the services.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, April 7, 1924, p. 5
J. C. Clipson – John Clarence Clipson passed away unexpectedly Friday night, March 27th, at his late home in Okmulgee, Okla. He had retired the night previous, complaining some of a headache, but seemingly not serious, and was found lifeless the next morning, death being due apparently to heart failure.
The funeral was held in Clarinda Tuesday afternoon from the Methodist Church, conducted by the pastor, Rev. Alfred T. Bishop D. D., interment being in Clarinda cemetery. His two sons were here, Ed from Chicago and Percy and his wife and daughter from Tulsa, Okla., also four nephews Clyde and Frank Brown from Sedalia, Mo., Rolla Clipson and Homer Clipson and wife from Tabor, Ia.
Mr. Clipson was 81 years of age, having been born April 10, 1843 in London, England, coming to this country when 10 years of age. He lived on a farm near Danville, Ill. until the outbreak of the Civil War, when he entered the army, serving as a scout with the 125th Ill. Infantry. At close of the war he married and moved to Chicago, being foreman in the Pullman factory, until the death of his wife, when he moved to Clarinda and was in the business of contractor and builder. It was here he was married to Miss Maggie Hutchings, the wife who survives him.
Mr. Clipson was a member of the Methodist Church and also took pride in his G. A. R. membership, being commander of the Post in Clarinda before leaving and was Commander of the Post in Okmulgee at time of death. One daughter is living, Mrs. W. L. Simmons of Tulsa, Okla. His grave in Clarinda cemetery is beside those of two children gone before.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, April 15, 1940, [p. 1]
Mrs. J. C. Clipson Dies in Oklahoma
Clarinda relatives received word Friday of the death of Mrs. J. [ohn] C. [larence] Clipson of Okmulgee, Okla., one of the earlier residents of this city.
Mrs. Clipson was a daughter of Eliza Ribble and John Stout Hutchings and a sister of the late Will O. Hutchings of Clarinda. 
Her husband was a well-known carpenter and contractor in Clarinda, his shop being located at a corner of 16th and Chestnut streets where the Christian church now stands. About thirty years ago Mr. and Mrs. Clipson with their family moved to Okmulgee, where they maintained their home until the death of the husband in 1924. Since that time Mrs. Clipson has been living with her daughter, Mrs. Genevieve Simmons of Okmulgee.
Besides Mr. and Mrs. Simmons, she is survived by a son, Percy, of Des Moines, a stepson, Ed Clipson, of Chicago, one sister, Mrs. Tom Riggs of Mercedes, Tex., who is the last of the family, other relatives and a host of friends.
Funeral services were held in Okmulgee Saturday, April 13, with interment at that place.

[CLIPSON, VERNON, 1889-1889] 
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, November 20, 1889, p. 8
The two months old babe of Mr. and Mrs. John Clipson died Saturday and was interred Monday. The parents have the sympathy of the entire community in their bereavement.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, November 6, 1889, p. 5
Died at her home east of Clarinda, Nov. 1, 1889, of typhoid fever, Mrs. Mary L. Cooper, aged 66 years, 10 months and 6 days.
She was born in Scott county, Ind., Dec. 25, 1822, and removed to Illinois with her parents in 1828.
She was married to A.[bel] M. [ilton] Cooper in 1843 and with him emigrated to Iowa in 1857, to Clarinda in 1858.
In 1863 they moved to the farm on which she remained to her death.
She was the mother of seven children, five of whom are still living and were with her in her last days.
She united with the Presbyterian church of this place in 1860, under the ministry of Rev. M. W. Stryker.
Her religion was of that practical kind which commends itself by a meek and quiet spirit and which is best known by its fruits.
Although unaware of the near approach of death, she feared no evil; for the good Shepherd that knoweth his sheep and is known of them, was with her and led her through.
Many friends, some of many years standing, met at the home to pay her their tribute of loving remembrance and to accompany her form to its quiet resting place in the cemetery.
The funeral services were conducted by Rev. T. C. Smith, pastor of the Presbyterian church.
[Poem not transcribed.]

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, December 22, 1927, p. 3
Dec. 20 – Mrs. C. E. Damewood passed away at her home here early Tuesday morning after months of intense suffering. She had passed several weeks at the Hand Hospital in Shenandoah and was taken from there to the Lord Lister Hospital in Omaha where she remained for several weeks. But in spite of everything that was done for her she gradually failed until the end came. She was 77 years of age at her death and leaves an aged husband who was with her constantly during all of her illness, as was also her son, Ed. Another son, Bert, who lives in California was here in the summer but was not here during her last illness, but with his wife came in time to attend the funeral. It was held on Thursday afternoon at one o'clock at the Methodist church and will be conducted by the pastor, Rev. Cooke. Mrs. Damewood was a devoted wife and mother, and a kind and helpful neighbor, always willing and ready to help where ever help was needed. She will be greatly missed by all of her many friends as well as by her immediate family.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, July 14, 1932, p. 7
E. C. Damewood Dies
E. [lvin] C. [harlton] Damewood, 85, of Coin, died Tuesday evening at home of son, Ed Damewood, after a long illness. Funeral arrangements have been set for Friday.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, November 13, 1889, [p. 1]
Obituary – In memory of Mrs. [Elizabeth] Jane Rutter Davies who departed this life Sunday morning at 3 o'clock in her 54th year. She has been an invalid for four years and confined to the house for the last year. She was a native of the state of Vermont but spent most of her life in Iowa. She was the good and devoted wife of Mr. Wm. H. Davies and the lovely mother of four children, two of which, a son and daughter, have survived her. She was naturally religious, had no fears of death, but believed in that God whose wisdom makes no mistakes and whose love always does right. Her life was an anthem of praise to God and attracted the love of all who knew her. Sweetly, after long and painful suffering, she fell asleep in Jesus, blessed sleep, from which none ever wakes to weep.
She leaves a devoted and worthy husband, family, and many dear friends to mourn her loss, but they mourn not without hope for they will meet her in the home of love where no wintry winds are blowing, no burial train, where crowned with glory greeting, we will live again.
The services was conducted at the house by Rev. B. F. Snook, attended by a large circle of sympathizing friends.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, February 13, 1889, p. 8
DIED. – Feb. 7, 1889, Mary Luella Davis, daughter of Frank and Harriet Davis, aged one year.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, February 8, 1901, p. 6
John Drain died Sunday morning, having been ill only four days. He was a hearty and robust man. His death was a surprise to his many friends at this place.

[DRAPER, ADDIE, - 1889]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, June 26, 1889, p. 5
DIED. – At her home in this place, June 18, 1889, Miss Addie Draper. Her funeral was conducted by Rev. Campbell of Villisca, on the 19th, after which her remains were interred in the Caigley Cemetery. Her bereaved parents and friends have the deepest sympathy of our people.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, July 10, 1889, p. 8
Obituary – Died at her home in Nebraska township, Harriet Dunn, wife of William Dunn. She was born in Fayette Co., Pa., June 26, 1833 and died July 5, 1889, aged 56 years and 8 days. She was married to her now bereaved husband Aug. 7, 1852 and came with him to Page county in 1887 where they have since lived. She leaves a husband and 8 children, the youngest about 17 years old.
Mrs. Dunn has been greatly afflicted for years, yet she bore it all patiently. She was a member of the M. E. church at Rose school house.
The funeral took place from their home on Sunday, July 7th, and was attended by a large number of relatives and friends. The sermon was preached at North Grove church by the pastor, Rev. A. G. Foreman from 1st Cor. 13-12, after which the remains were laid to rest until the resurrection morning.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, December 11, 1889, p. 8
Died From the Injury – Last week the 14 year old son of Mr. Goff, living on I. N. J. Hartford's farm five miles north of town, was fatally hurt by a horse falling on him. He hung onto life's slender thread until 4 o'clock yesterday, when breath departed him. This is a very sad case, indeed, and the parents have the sympathy of all.

[GOOD, JOHN S., 1811-1889]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, March 13, 1889, p. 4
Obituary – John S. Good, one and a half miles south of Shambaugh, died at 1 o'clock a. m. on March 10, 1889, after more than a year's suffering from dropsy of the heart.
Uncle Johny, as he was familiarly known, was born Oct. 20, 1811, Hacking [Hocking] county, Ohio. In 1864 he with his family, emigrated to Page county, Iowa, where he has since resided, having lived a pure, true and Christian life; was a man of excellent habits, a good neighbor and a worthy citizen. He will be greatly missed by his many friends who mourn his loss. But all who know him have the consolation of believing and knowing that Uncle Johny is now delivered from his sufferings and is seated at rest at the right hand of his Savior. He leaves a widow and a number of adult children to mourn his loss, who have the sympathy of the entire community.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, February 8, 1901, p. 6
Magdalena Hamm was born Nov. 18, 1825, and died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Abe Steaman, south of Shambaugh Wednesday, at 4:30 o'clock. She was married to Daniel Beery in Fairfield county, O. Mr. Beery died in 1855. She afterwards married John Good in Page county, Ia., he having died in 1887. She was the mother of four children, three sons and one daughter. She was converted in early life and remained a true Christian until her death. The funeral was held at the Mennonite church of which she was a member, Rev. Mr. Cox of the Free Methodist church conducting the funeral services, on account of her pastor being ill. The interment was at the Butler cemetery.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, March 16, 1944, [p. 1]
Mrs Sherman Goudie Dies Thursday; Husband Is Ill
Mrs Sherman Goudie, nearly 83, died at her home southwest of Clarinda, about 11:30 Thursday morning. She had been in a critical condition for the last few days following a fall two weeks ago. Mr Goudie, who is critically ill also, is about 92.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, March 20, 1944, [p. 1]
Mrs N S Goudie Burial at Old Memory Cemetery
Funeral services for Mrs Annie Goudie, wife of N [athan] Sherman Goudie, was held Saturday afternoon at the Pruitt-Bracken Funeral home and burial was in Memory cemetery near New Market. Rev Charles R Rowe, Methodist minister, was in charge, with Mrs Helen Hall Hoskinson at the piano and Mrs Osborne of Nodaway, singing.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, March 20, 1944, p. 2
DALLAS TWP, March 18 – Mrs Dale Jackson has been staying at the N [athan] S [herman] Goudie home in Clarinda on account of the illness and death of Mrs Goudie who is an aunt of Dale and Lloyd Jackson. Mrs Goudie was a resident of Dallas township many years.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, July 24, 1889, [p. 1]
Obituary – Etta McKown [McCown] was born near Peoria, Ill., Dec. 2, 1858. She came with her father and family to Page Co., Iowa, when a girl. She was married to Sherman Goudy [Goudie], Mar. 14, 1878, and [they] made their home near Hawleyville, in Taylor county. About a year ago consumption seemed evidently to have hold on her and they sought relief by going to California. The change was an unpropitious one, for it only increased the severity of the disease. About one month ago they returned and have been making their home with Mr. Goudy's mother near Hawleyville. She continued to fail until last Saturday, July 20, and died. She was converted when but a girl and united with the M. E. church and became a very active member. In her last moments she had good faith in Jesus her Savior and went to her reward. She left a husband and two children, one child having died in May while in California. The funeral took place on Sunday, July 21. The service was held at North Grove church, after which she was buried in the beautiful cemetery near the church. The funeral was attended by a large company of friends and relatives. On the morning of July 22, the little girl about 8 years old, also died, leaving but one child still living. Mr. Goudy has the sympathy of the entire community in this sad bereavement.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, March 13, 1889, p. 4
Obituary – Lauria [Laura] J. [ane] Goudy was born in Washington, Farewell [Tazewell] county, Ills., Dec. 12, 1857, was married to J.[ames] B. [eattie] Goudy, Oct. 6, 1877, and died Feb. 25, 1889, at their residence near Hawleyville. She was converted and joined the M. E. church at the age of 19 years. Since that time, she has been a consistent Christian. Even in her youth she was always religiously inclined. She was the mother of six children, five of whom survive her. The funeral service was held at the family residence and was attended by a large company of sympathizing friends. The service was conducted by her pastor, Rev. A. G. Forman, using as his text Rev. 7. 17. She had been a sufferer nearly all her life, but she bore it all patiently, perfectly resigned to the will of God who doeth all things well. She was buried at the North Grove cemetery [words missing].
[Note: The last name is spelled Goudie on her headstone.]

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, March 5, 1945, [p. 1]
Sherman Goudie Dies at Nodaway
Lived in Clarinda 40 Years; Funeral Tuesday in Clarinda
Funeral services for N [athan] S [herman] Goudie, 93, are being held Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Foster-Harmon Funeral home. The services will be in charge of Rev C R Rowe, Methodist minister, who conducted the service for Mrs Goudie just a year ago and burial is in Memory cemetery near New Market.

Mr Goudie died Saturday evening at 9:30 at Nodaway, Iowa, where he had been for eleven months. Mr and Mrs Goudie lived in Clarinda for forty years. Before moving here, they lived for many years in the neighboring area of New Market and Hawleyville, Mr Goudie coming to Hawleyville with his parents in 1852.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, March 12, 1945, p. 5
Sherman Goudie – Nathan Sherman Goudie, son of John S and Emeline Goudie, was born on November 20, 1850, in Clinton County, Iowa, and passed away March 3, 1945, at Nodaway, Iowa.
He resided in the vicinity of Clarinda practically all of his life. His main occupation was farming.
By his first marriage to Mary E [tta] McCown, one son, Melvin, of Percy, Calif., survives.
He was married to Anna Paterson on May 11, 1894 and to this union one child, Ruby, was born. She passed away in 1910, at the age of 15 years. Mrs Goudie died about a year ago.
Sherman was converted and entered the membership of the Methodist Church in Clarinda under the ministry of Rev Mr Mains.
Mr Goudie was highly respected in the community, had many friends, and was most active most of his life.
He is survived by two brothers, Robert of Clarinda, and Adolphus of St Joseph, Mo, as well as a number of nieces and nephews.

Western Times (Garden City, Kansas), Wednesday, October 2, 1889, p. 4
Last Saturday our citizens were startled by the news of the shooting, at Wallace, of Frank Harrell, by his former partner and friend Wm. Purse. For some time there had been some misunderstanding between them, and as we understand it, each had threatened the other's life. Purse took aim from a distance and shot Harrell through the heart. Purse gave himself up to the deputy sheriff a short time after the shooting and waved examination and was taken to the Trego county jail to await his trial before the district court next month. Harrell was buried in the Wallace cemetery, Monday. It is a sad and sudden ending of a very dangerous, bad man and yet we were sorry to hear of the fearful murder. His wife and child have the sympathies and respect of our people.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, October 2nd, 1889, p. 7
Shot Dead. – Word was received here by telegraph Sunday that Frank Harrell, a former well-known resident of this county, had been shot and instantly killed Saturday morning at 4 o'clock at Walla Walla [Wallace], Kansas. No particulars were given, and it has not yet been learned who done the deed. Mr. Harrell was reared from boyhood in Tarkio township and later on was a resident of Shenandoah, and consequently is well known in this section.

[HARRIS, JAMES, 1822-1905]
Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, October 27, 1905, p. 6
James Harris died suddenly in Shenandoah, Oct. 21. He was a carpenter by occupation. He died at the age of 83 years. He is survived by his widow and the following children: Mrs. Elenora Damewood, near Coin; Wilbur G. Harris, Red Oak; Charles Harris, New Mexico; William Harris, Shenandoah. The newspapers of that city speak of him in the brightest terms as a man and citizen, where he lived a quiet, unobtrusive, good Christian life.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, March 4, 1909, p. 2
Mrs. Martha Harris who has been making her home here with her daughter and family, Mr. and Mrs. E.[lvin C. [harlton] Damewood, died Wednesday, Feb. 24, at 10:30 a. m., age 78 years. Some few months ago she had a stroke of paralysis but had regained her strength so was up and around. Her death was very sudden and a shock to her relatives and friends. She leaves to mourn their loss three sons and one daughter, Will Harris of Shenandoah, Wilber Harris of Red Oak, Charles Harris of New Mexico, and Mrs. E. C. Damewood of this place. There were short services Thursday afternoon at 4 p. m. at the house, conducted by Rev. Ed Pruitt. The remains were taken to Shenandoah Friday morning. The funeral was held at the Methodist church. The interment was at the Shenandoah cemetery beside her husband who departed two years ago.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, February 15, 1901, p. 6
The ten days old infant son of Mr. and Mrs. William Harrison died Sunday evening at 5:30 p. m. and was buried Monday at 3 p. m. at the Butler cemetery. Short funeral services were conducted at the home.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, December 23, 1943, [p. 1]
Mrs T J Hawthorne Dies in Florida
Announcement of the death Tuesday night of Mrs Thomas J Hawthorne, 82, at the home of her daughter, Mrs R W Robie, of Tallahassee, Fla., has been received here. Temporary interment will be held Friday at Tallahassee with permanent burial expected to be at Clarinda cemetery where her husband is interred.
The Hawthornes were well known here as operators of the Hawthorne Hotel, now known as the French Hotel.
Mrs Hawthorne, who was ill for several years, is survived by the daughter at whose home death occurred and by a son, Harold of Beverly Hills, Calif. Two nieces, Mrs Earl Howes and Mrs George Alexander live in Clarinda.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, June 5, 1924, p. 8
T. J. Hawthorne – The Methodist church was filled Tuesday afternoon with a quiet but sympathetic assemblage of people, gathered to pay a last tribute of respect to one who has for many years lived in Clarinda, Thomas J. Hawthorne. The services were in charge of his pastor, Rev. W. C. Williamson, a quartet from the United Presbyterian church furnishing the music, Mrs. Albert Frehse, Mrs. George Smith, Scott Hitchcock and Al Pfander. Interment in Clarinda cemetery. Among those present was the father of the deceased, himself over a hundred years of age. The following obituary was read at the services:
Thomas John Hawthorne was born in New York City on September 11th, 1860. Soon after his birth his parents moved with the family to Albia, Iowa, where Thomas grew to manhood. In 1881 Thomas changed his residence to Superior, Nebr., where he met Margaret Gilmore and was married to her December 30th, 1885. Their two children were born to them while in Superior, a daughter, Hazel, and a son, Harold.
In 1901 the family moved to College Springs, Iowa, conducting a hotel there until 1905 at which time he opened the Hawthorne Hotel in Clarinda, Iowa, where he continued until February 1, 1924.
Thomas Hawthorne's last illness had its beginning on January 12th of this year. On February 14th he was taken to the home of his daughter, Mrs. Hazel Robie at Centerville, Iowa, where he remained until his death on Saturday, May 31st at 11 o'clock in the morning.
Thomas Hawthorne is survived by his wife and his two children, Mrs. Hazel L. Robie of Centerville, and Harold Hawthorne of Iowa Falls, Ia. Also, his father, Hugh Hawthorne of Braddyville, Iowa, his sister, Miss Janie Hawthorne of Albia, Iowa and three brothers, H. A. Hawthorne, Deansboro, N. Y., J. R. S. Hawthorne, Clarinda, Iowa, and Dr. R. A. Hawthorne, Braddyville, Iowa. He is preceded in death by his mother and two brothers, Samuel and David.
Thomas John Hawthorne has been a faithful member of the Reformed Presbyterian and United Presbyterian church since early manhood.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, June 12, 1889, p. 8
DIED. – Bertie, son of J. R. and N. H. Hinchman, at Corvallis, Montana, June 4th, 1889, age 13 years. Mr. and Mrs. Hinchman are former residents of this place and were highly esteemed. They have the sincere sympathy of their numerous friends here.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, December 4, 1889, p. 8
DIED. – Of scarlet fever, Dec. 1st, 1889, Cordelia Isabel, daughter of Dr. W.[illiam] P. and Isabel Jeffrey, aged five years. Little Cordie was a remarkably winning and attractive child, being unusually gifted by nature and mature beyond her years. She was the idol of the household and her death is a sad blow to the sorrowing father, mother and brother, who have the sympathy of a large circle of friends who knew and loved the little one. During her last hours of intense suffering she told her mama that she was dying. When asked if she would rather go or stay, she said she would rather go to Jesus and added, "I will watch for you mamma and for papa and for brother." May the loving father comfort the bereaved ones and enable them to say, "Thy Will be done."

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Tuesday, December 1, 1896, p. 4
Obituary – William P. Jeffrey was born in Rush Co., Ind., March 24, 1843 and died at his home in Clarinda, Ia., Nov. 29, 1896, at the age of 53 years, 8 months and 5 days.
In 1854 his parents moved to Adams county, Iowa and settled on a farm near Quincy; here he grew to manhood, working on the farm in the summer and attending school in winter. From a child he had a great desire to serve well his generation. In order to do this, he was eager to obtain an education. His father sent him to a seminary which was located at Brooks, Iowa. Here he prepared for college. He then entered the Iowa Wesleyan University, taking the classical course, graduating with honor from that institution with the class of 1869. Returning home, he was elected superintendent of the schools of Adams county which office he held two terms. He was married to Isabella Weidner at Clarinda, Iowa, April 23, 1872. To them were born two children, Frank Dana, and Cordelia Isabella. On the first day of December 1889 their little daughter died. From 1871 to 1874 he was principal of the Corning public schools. He then moved to Shenandoah and became principal of the public schools of that city, which position he held for three years. He then went to Bedford and was elected Superintendent of the schools of Taylor county. After serving in this capacity for one term, he completed his medical course at the college of Physicians and Surgeons of St. Joseph, Mo., graduating with the highest honors of his class. He located in New Market, Iowa, where he practiced medicine from 1880 to 1892, when he moved to Clarinda where he continued in the practice of his profession until a short time before his death. A few weeks ago, he went to Excelsior Springs, Mo., with the hope of regaining his health, returning home Nov. 20, in a very critical condition. All was done for him that able physicians and loving hands could do. He gradually grew worse until three o'clock Sunday morning when he quietly passed away. He leaves a wife, one son, an aged mother, brothers, sisters and a host of friends to mourn his loss.
Dr. Jeffrey was converted during his first year in college and joined the Methodist Episcopal church and remained a faithful member of the church up to the time of his death. As a physician he was able and faithful to his calling, never refusing to go even at the sacrifice of his own health. He was a good husband and a loving father. He will live in the hearts of many during the years to come. Surely a good man has fallen but he has gone to his reward. The funeral took place from the Methodist Episcopal church Tuesday at 2:30 p. m., Dec. 1, 1896, conducted by Rev. McK Stuart, D. D., assisted by Rev. J. F. St. Clair, his pastor. The remains were laid to rest in the beautiful cemetery north of the city to await the resurrection of the just.
The services after leaving the church were conducted by Nodaway Lodge No. 140, A. F. & A. M., of which the deceased was a member. The pall bearers were all members of Dr. Jeffrey's profession, to wit: Dr. C. C. Parriott, of Yorktown; Dr. McColm of New Market; Drs. Baker, Cokenower, Farrens and Enfield, of this city.
His aged mother, sister Mrs. Adda Evans of Wymore Neb., and two of his brothers, Dr. John of Nevada, and Rev. [A. T.] of Sidney, were with him when he died and attended the funeral today

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, December 4, 1896, p. 3
Dr. Jeffrey Dead
A Well Known Clarinda Physician Passes Away
Had Been County Superintendent of Adams and Taylor Counties—Was Buried Tuesday—Funeral at the Methodist Church—Masonic Honors
Dr. William P. Jeffrey died at 8 o'clock Sunday morning, the 29th inst., at his home in this city, of Bright's disease, and was buried Tuesday afternoon in the Clarinda cemetery. He was well known in southwestern Iowa, having lived in Adams and Taylor counties, as well as in Page, and in each of the three counties was a prominent and influential citizen. His death is a forcible reminder of the uncertainty of life, for only a short time ago there was apparently nothing naturally in the way of his living for many years. About the 1st of October last he imparted to a few of his friends the unwelcome news that he was afflicted with Bright's disease. Being a physician who had treated others for the same ailment he was in the possession of that professional knowledge which told him that his death was near, and it is probable that the keen realization of his serious condition wore upon him and hastened his departure. After he found that his health was broken, he and his wife went to Excelsior Springs, Mo., where they spent a few weeks, hoping that he might be benefited, but they returned home the 20th ult., with his health in an exceedingly precarious condition, much worse than when they left Clarinda. He then had but a few days to live and passed away as previously stated. He had continued the active practice of medicine up to the time of his leaving for Excelsior Springs and his practice was particularly active, as he went wherever his services were called for, regardless of the conditions of the weather or the financial ability of his patient and it is believed that his exposure in storms and all sorts of disagreeable weather, in the discharge of what he considered his professional duty and his duty to mankind, was the cause of the disease from which his death resulted. The late Dr. Jeffrey was a good man. People realized it as he went along in life and now that he is dead his good qualities are especially dwelt upon. He was a man of strong moral and religious tendencies, quick to improve an opportunity to speak the right word of advice at the right time and do so in a friendly and unobtrusive manner. He could also, upon occasion, administer a scathing rebuke to an especially slothful or extravagant man who had none to blame but himself for his worthlessness. Industrious and economical himself, he wanted others to be true to themselves and to their families and to the community in which they lived. One of the most affecting scenes the writer ever witnessed was that at the funeral of Dr. Jeffrey, Tuesday afternoon, when Reverends T. McK. Stuart and J. F. St. Clair, related history concerning the deceased. Both ministers paid feeling and appropriate tribute to the departed. Each knew and recognized his worth. The doctor had told Mr. St. Clair of the fatal malady that had come upon him and had predicted to him that in four months from the time he was speaking he would be laying in his coffin. He expressed himself as ready to go, fearlessly and hopefully. He never, until he recognized that his own death was near, could become quite reconciled to the death of his little daughter Cora who had died some years before, but now that he was going, he felt certain of meeting her in heaven and that seemed to him an overwhelming comfort. He also desired that the nature of his ailment be kept from the knowledge of his wife as long as it could well be, as both she and his aged mother, would have trouble enough soon. His death would be a great grief to his wife, he realized, and he was fearful that it would break his mother's heart. There were moist eyes and there was audible crying throughout the Methodist church, as Mr. St. Clair, in plain but faultless language told the story of the doctor's last days and portrayed his sterling Christianity. The funeral procession left the family residence at 2:30 p. m., headed by Nodaway lodge No. 140, A. F. and A. M., of which fraternity the deceased died an honored member. The services at the Methodist church were conducted by Rev. T. McK. Stuart, presiding elder of the Chariton district of the Methodist Episcopal church, assisted by Rev. J. F. St. Clair. Mr. Stuart spoke from St. John xl: 25: "Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live." The choir was composed of Mrs. Lizzie McGee, Mrs. E. G. MCutchan, Miss Mertie Baker, Mr. C. R. Vance and Dr. W. O. Fisher, with Miss Zelma Frazier as organist. The choir sang the hymns, "One Sweetly Solemn Thought," "There Is a Fountain Filled With Blood," and "There Is a Wideness in God's Mercy;" the anthem, "Resting in Peace," and as the remains were borne from the church, the chant, "Bear the Brother Home." At the cemetery occurred the Masonic burial service with M. R. Ansbach acting as worshipful master and the benediction was by Rev. T. McK. Stuart. Relatives present at the funeral from a distance were his mother, Mrs. Rebecca Jeffrey and sister, Mrs. Addie Evans, both of Wymore, Neb.; his brothers, Rev. A. [lexander] T. Jeffrey of Sidney and Dr. J. H. Jeffrey of Nevada, Ia., and his brother-in-law, Al Weidner of Omaha. Another brother-in-law, Dr. S. S. Weidner of Fairbury, Neb., was here during the doctor's illness and returned home Monday. The pallbearers were all brother physicians of the Masonic fraternity, as follows: Doctors M. Enfield, H. L. Cokenower, E. T. Farrens and A. J. Baker of Clarinda, C C. Parriott of Yorktown, and C. W. McColm of New Market. The Masonic lodge of New Market assisted in the obsequies.
The late William P. Jeffrey was born in Rush county, Ind., March 24, 1843, so that he was 53 years, 8 months and 5 days old at the time of his death. In 1854 he came to Iowa with his parents. They located on a farm near Quincy, Adams county. He received a good education and graduated from the Wesleyan university in 1869, graduating with honors. He was twice elected county superintendent of schools of Adams county. April 28, 1872, he was married in Clarinda, Isabel Weidner becoming his wife. Two children were born to them, Frank Dana, and Cordelia Isabella. The daughter died Dec. 1, 1889—just seven years before the burial of her father. He was principal of the public schools of Corning from 1871 to 1874; was three years principal of the public schools of Shenandoah; later he was county superintendent of Taylor county. He afterwards graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of St. Joseph, Mo., with the highest honors of his class. He practiced medicine in New Market, Ia., from 1880 to 1892, removing in the latter year to Clarinda, where he practiced his profession until a few weeks before he died. He was converted when at college and joined the Methodist Episcopal church. He died a member of the church of that denomination in Clarinda, having lived a consistent Christian life.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, December 24, 1896, p. 8
Mr. and Mrs. F. V. Hensleigh drove down to Blanchard this morning to attend the funeral of Mr. and Mrs. W. [illiam] C. Jeffrey's little child, aged one year, which took place at 2 p. m. Mrs. Jeffrey is a sister to Mrs. Hensleigh.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Tuesday, December 29, 1896, p. 3
The little son of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Jeffrey died of throat disease early Thursday morning, Dec. 24, 1896. The remains were laid to rest in the Blanchard cemetery Thursday afternoon. Not quite a year did God entrust this darling child to the care of fond parents; thus, like a bud nipped by the early frost, folded its little hands in death, closed its eyes to earthly things and went to spend Christmas with Him who came, a little child, more than eighteen hundred years ago, bringing joy and peace on earth. May God comfort the bereaved parents. They have the sympathy of their many friends in this neighborhood.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, April 3, 1889, [p.1]
Died – March 31st, 1889, at his home in Yorktown, J. [oseph] E. Lester, at the age of 77 years. The deceased suffered but a short time and died from ailments subsequent to old age. He was a faithful and consistent member of the Christian church, showing himself an approved soldier, first in the Army of the Lord and second in the gallant and brave defense of the rights of his country, battling for the principles of right in the late war. He was a supporter of W. H. Harrison for President of the United States in 1840 and was proud of the opportunity of supporting the second Harrison for the same honorable position in the campaign of 1888. The remains were conveyed to the church where the last privileges of respect to a departed brother were extended. Rev. Carter preached an effective sermon from the very appropriate texts: Genesis 2:7 and Ecclesiastes 12:7. The pall bearers were Wm. Snoderly, C. W. Mitchel, Wolf Miller and C. M. Castle, his fellow comrades in the late war. He was buried at the Arnold cemetery, three miles southwest of Yorktown. He leaves a wife, a number of children and a host of friends who sincerely mourn his departure.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, October 2nd, 1889
Died – At his home about one mile north of Hepburn, Friday, Sept. 27l, Arthur Loghry, of inflammation of stomach and liver. The funeral sermon was preached in the Cagley church, Sept. 28, by Rev. Johnson, after which the remains were laid at rest.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, December 10, 1925, p. 16
Dec. 7 – Charles Tobias Long was born Oct. 24, 1847 in Indiana County, Pa., and departed this life Dec. 1, 1925, at the age of 78 years, 1 mo. and 7 days. In Aug. 17, 1864 he enlisted in the army of the Republic, where he served for one year. As a young man he came to College Springs, Iowa, where he made his home for a few years and there he married Sarah Siletta [Seleta] Oaster [Oster], who departed this life June 1, 1924. To this union were born six children of whom three are dead, Ella, Belle and Myrtle. Those left to mourn his loss are John of Northboro, Mrs. Marie Barnett and Will Long of Clarinda, 10 grandchildren and 8 greatgrandchildren. In the year 1884 he moved with his family to Northboro, which has been his home for 43 years. During this time, he was a harness maker and was in business in Northboro for 30 years. He was active in political affairs, having held the office of mayor in this city for a number of years and was a member of the I. O. O. F. lodge. On account of failing health, he went out of business and has spent the last 18 months with his daughter, Marie, of Clarinda, who has cared for him with all the care of a loving and affectionate daughter. In middle age he joined the Methodist church at Northboro and in his last few days expressed his love for his Savior and now rests with his loved ones.
But God loved him more,
We loved him, yes, we loved him,
And has taken him from this earth,
To the bright and shining shore. 
Funeral services were held here Wednesday afternoon from the Methodist church, conducted by the pastor, Rev. R. L. Shepherd. A mixed quartette, Mesdames Manes and Pike and Messrs. Creal and Boylan sang his favorite songs. Pallbearers were members of the I. O. O. F. lodge of which Mr. Long was a faithful member. They were P. J. Standage, Waring McCoy, T. A. Gibbs, C. E. Wiggins, Frank Chapman and R. E. Pratt. Interment was made in Union Grove cemetery.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, June 2, 1924, [p. 1]
Mrs. C. C. Long – From the Northboro Methodist church this Monday afternoon are being held the funeral services for Mrs. C. C. Long, mother of Harley Barnett and Will Long, who died on Sunday morning at the Barnett home, 315 E. Stuart St., following an illness resulting from a fall several weeks ago when her hip was broken.
Interment will take place in Union Cemetery.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, June 9, 1924, p. 8
Sarah Seleta Oster Long – Sarah Seleta Oster Long passed away in the morning of June 1st at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Harley Barnett, 315 East Stuart Street at the age of 76 years, 7 months, and 3 days. She was born October 29, 1847 in Caldwell County, Mo., and when a child of 8 years moved to Nodaway County, Mo. There she grew to womanhood. She united with the M. E. Church of Tabor, Mo., when a child 15 years of age and continued her life with her Saviour thereafter. She was married to C. [harles] T.[obias] Long May 17, 1869. To this union were born 6 children, one daughter dying in infancy, also another, Mrs. Belle Walters, who died Aug. 11, 1904, and Mrs. Myrtle Hess departed this life May 25, 1922. She leaves to mourn her departure her husband, one daughter Mrs. Harley Barnett, Clarinda, Ia., and 2 sons, Will Long, Clarinda, Ia., and John Long, Northboro, Ia., 2 sisters, Mrs. Cowan, Blanchard, Ia., Mrs. Johnson, Elmo, Mo., ten grandchildren and seven great grandchildren.
Grandmother Long celebrated her Golden wedding anniversary 6 years ago, May 17, 1918.
Her funeral was held in Northboro, Iowa, in the M. E. Church, with Rev. Sheppard, pastor, officiating. Her pall bearers were her two sons, John and Will, two sons-in-law, Harley Barnett, Bert Hess, and two grandsons, Kenneth Long and Harold Hess. She was laid to rest in Union Grove Cemetery.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, June 26, 1889, p. 8
DIED. – E. [dward] P. Loud, who lies about four miles from Essex, died last Friday from injuries received from a hurt by a horse. It was a very sad case, as he had lost his reason and the insane commission went over to investigate his case Thursday and seeing that he was so near his end came away. He has no relatives in this part of the country that is known, but he has a brother in one of the New England states.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, December 11, 1889, p. 4
Lyon. – Gilbert C. Lyon[s] was born in Beaver Dam, Allen Co., Ohio, February 23, 1833, and died at Clarinda, Ia., Thursday morning at 1 o'clock, Dec. 5, 1889, aged 56 years, 9 months and 12 days.
Mr. Lyon[s] has been a constant sufferer ever since he left the army from a hip wound received in the United States service. He entered the service of his country in 1861 and was discharged in 1865 on account of his wounds and from that time was ever scarcely free from pain until happily released by death. He served in Co. I, First Nebraska Cavalry.
He was one of the early settlers of Page county, coming to Clarinda in 1859 and continued to live here, except while in the service of his country in the army, until his departure for a better land.
He was united in marriage with Mary E. [lizabeth] Ribble on July 7, 1868, and a happy union was preserved until death severed it. He united with the M. E. church in Clarinda under the pastorate of Rev. A. H. Shafer in 1868. He did not so realize the saving grace of God as to claim conversion until his last illness, but then, in answer to his prayer and that of his friends, he was very happily brought into a knowledge of joy forgiven and passed the remaining days of his stay in great rejoicing in a Saviour's love. At times his ecstasy was wonderful and the triumph of his soul over a failing body was very victorious.
He expressed a desire to return thanks personally to his large circle of friends who ministered so kindly to his necessities in his last illness.
He was a loving and tender husband, a staunch, true citizen, a conscientious and steady man, a faithful member of the church, loved and respected by a large circle of friends who mourn his departure but rejoice at the victory of his Christian triumph in his last hours.
His funeral was attended by a large concourse of friends and the services were conducted by the pastor of his church, Rev. M. D. Collins.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, December 11, 1889, p. 5
Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Mackey lost their first born, an infant daughter, after a brief illness on the 9th inst. Obsequies were conducted today by Rev. J. Welborn from the residence.

[MCCOWN, GEORGE, - 1889]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, October 30, 1889, p. 5
Obituary – Died, at his home in Braddyville, Iowa, October 21, 1889, after an illness of two days, Mr. George McCown, son of G. W. McCown, in the 19th year of his age.
Services were held at the home and he was then laid to rest in the cemetery west of Braddyville.
[Poem not transcribed.]


  Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Tuesday, August 28, 1894, p. 4
Public indignation is running high both here and at Clearmont over the shooting of Wm. McCown at the latter place August 24, and steps are being taken to probe the sad affair to the very bottom. It is terrible that a wife with a family of small children should be left to struggle alone just to satisfy the cravings of a wild, vicious fanatic for human gore.
Wm. McCown, living one and a half miles south of here in Missouri, was shot and almost instantly [killed] at Clearmont on the night of August 24. That town is cursed with three-gallon houses and the populist speaking and ball game had drawn a large crowd. The beer garden did a thriving business, the boys got a little noisy, and the marshal, a man named Lewis from Tennessee, who boasts of having killed three men before (so we are told) fired the fatal shot. The coroner's jury stood 3 for justification and three to hold Lewis for the grand jury. A further hearing will be had. The funeral cortege arrived in Braddyville at 2 p. m. Sunday and was followed to the cemetery by a very large procession, many from Clearmont and along the road, and hosts of friends and acquaintances from this side of the line were ready with aid or sympathy in the sad affair. "Billy," as he was familiarly known, was about 32 years of age, son of Geo. McCown, was born and raised in Braddyville, and was never considered a bad or quarrelsome man. Industrious and honest, he had many firm friends who deeply regret the sad affair. He leaves a wife and four small children to mourn his untimely death.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, July 24, 1889, p. 8
Obituary – Died at the residence of her mother, Mrs. Harriet E. McCunn, of consumption, Miss Anna May McCunn. She was born April 30, 1874, and died July 22, 1889, aged 15 years, 2 months and 22 days. Patient and gentle of spirit, an obedient and loving daughter, she suffered much bodily pain until she gently fell asleep. Services were held at the home by the pastor, Rev. T. C. Smith, July 23d. Interment in the cemetery of Clarinda.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, April 24, 1889, p. 8
Sad News. – Word was received by telegram by Harry Crooks of the death of Emmett, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank McDonald, of scarlet fever. They are now residents of McPherson, Kas., but were former citizens of Clarinda. The heartfelt sympathy of their many friends here are extended to them in their sad bereavement.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, May 1, 1889, [p. 1]
Died, April 22, 1889, at 11:30 p. m., Emmett A. McDonald, son of F. A. and E. B. McDonald, aged sixteen years, five months and twenty-two days.
So has passed away one of the best boys of this city. Honorable, manly, faithful and trusty, he had the respect and friendship of all. Respected by all, beloved by his acquaintances and associates, esteemed by his elders, he is mourned by all. May the God of Heaven comfort the parents who have lost an only child, and may they realize that they are not alone in their sorrow, but that it touches the heart of everyone who knew him. A burden of grief is upon our city today, there is quiet in the streets, voices are low, and there are tears in eyes not used in weeping.
He was buried at four o'clock this afternoon. – McPherson, (Kas.) Republican

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, June 2, 1924, [p. 1]
Robert McLean – One of our old-time residents of Page County, Robert McLean, passed away Thursday morning, the funeral being held Saturday morning in the United Presbyterian church at College Springs, near where Mr. McLean has spent a long and useful life. Mr. McLean was about 72 years of age, having come to this country while a mere boy and has done much to help make the country we now have. The United Presbyterian minister of College Springs, Rev. Minteer had charge of the funeral services at the church, interment being in College Springs Cemetery. Obituary will appear in our next issue.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, June 9, 1924, p. 8
Robert McLean – Robert John McLean was born in Plymouth, Pa., Dec. 5, 1851 and died at his home east of College Springs, Iowa, May 29, 1924, aged 72 years, 5 months, and 24 days.
Mr. McLean belonged to a family of eight children, of which one sister, Nancy jane, and two brothers, Samuel and William, besides his father and mother, have preceded him in death.
His parents were devout people—earnest members of the United Presbyterian Church since its organization in College Springs. The family moved to a farm east of College Springs when Mr. McLean was seven years of age, making him a resident of the community sixty-six years.
He was married to Margaret McLarnon Dec. 20, 1877. To this union were born two children a daughter, Mrs. C. D. Wyckoff, and a son, W. Clarke McLean, both residing in this community. He was a man who was devoted to his church, his home and his family, always interested in those things which were for the betterment of his community and his country and lived his religion each day.
For several years he has been failing in health but more marked the last year. On the morning of May 15th, he suffered a stroke of paralysis from which he never recovered.
His death is mourned by his wife, two children and their families, four brothers, Thomas McLean, Kansas City, Mo.; J. L. McLean, Wright, Wyo.; C. N. McLean, Tacoma, Wash., and J. W. McLean, Hamilton, Mo., besides a host of kind and devoted friends.
Funeral services were held from the United Presbyterian Church at 10:00 o'clock Saturday morning, by the pastor, Rev. W. E. Minteer. Interment was in Maple Hill cemetery.
Relatives from a distance attending the funeral were Mr. and Mrs. J. Wilson McLean of Hamilton, Mo., Mr. and Mrs. John H [word missing], Lincoln, Neb., Will McLarnon, Clarinda, Mr. and Mrs. Will [word missing] of Blanchard and Mr. and Mrs. Hill and daughter, Isabel, Clarinda. 

[MORGAN, JOHN "GENERAL" 1840-1924] 
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, June 2, 1924, [p. 1]
"General" John Morgan – John Morgan, known generally in Clarinda as "General" died at his home at 1200 E. Lincoln street, Sunday morning at 7:40 after a short illness. The deceased had an interesting history, being one of the few surviving slaves. He had told of being sold at Chattanooga, Tenn., to a man by the name of Tom Stickney, when but a lad and during the Civil War served as body servant to General John Morgan of the Confederate armies, from whom he derived his name. His birthplace was at Greensboro, S. C. and for the past seventeen years has made his home in Clarinda. He is survived by a son and a daughter, John Morgan, Jr., and Mrs. Luella Rainey.
Funeral services will be held Tuesday afternoon from the A. M. E. church at 2:30 o'clock, with Rev. B. F. Hubbard officiating.

[MORGAN, JOHN "GENERAL" 1840-1924] 
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, June 5, 1924, p. 8
John Morgan – John Morgan was born in Greensboro, S. C. in or about the year 1840. His name at that time was Stickney, but later being sold to General John Morgan of the Confederate Army he took his name as was the custom at that time. He was married in 1866 to Mary Limmons. To this union four children were born, two of which Grant Morgan and Ed Morgan preceded their parents into the great beyond. His wife died in Clarinda in 1911. He leaves to mourn his loss, one son, General Morgan, and a daughter, Luella Ramey, besides a granddaughter, Frances Ramey, as well as many friends. He lived for a time at Dodge, Albia, Oskaloosa and Red Oak, coming to Clarinda 17 years ago.
He united with the A. M. Church of which he has been a member ever since. He became ill Saturday, May 24 and died Sunday morning June 1 at 7:40 o'clock of old age, being nearly 85 years old.
He told Rev. Hubbard and his wife also that he was only waiting on the Lord. He was devotedly nursed by his daughter, who, although blind herself, was wonderful in nursing him. His son was not at the bedside at the time of death, being away working in Auburn, Nebr., but arrived Sunday afternoon.
[Poem not transcribed.]

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, June 9, 1924, p. 8
Marietta Evans Odell – Marietta Evans Odell was born in Courtland, Indiana, Feb. 2, 1848, being the second daughter of William R. and Elizabeth Findley Evans. Departed this life at her home in Brooks, Iowa, June 3, 1924 at the age of 76 years, 5 months, 1 day, following a gradual deline in health for the past year. When only a small child her father came to Iowa with his three little motherless girls and settled in Chariton for a while, later coming on to Adams County, settling on a farm near Brooks, where she grew to womanhood. She was united in marriage to Gaylor N. [oah] Odell April 24, 1873. Their fifty years of married life was mostly spent on a farm three miles northwest of Brooks, except two years in Clarinda, Iowa, and the past few years in Brooks. To this union eight children were born, six of whom are living. The oldest, Mrs. Eva Palmer and an infant son having preceded her in death. Also, the husband, who died Dec. 30, 1923. The living children are Dello T., of Cresco, Ia., Arthur G., of Brooks, Harry H. of Sioux City, Jesse E. of Charles City, Mrs. Adda Anderson and Mrs. Hazel Lines of Clarinda, Ia. Also, thirty-nine grandchildren and fourteen great grandchildren and one sister, Mrs. Abbie Mathis of Enid, Okla. She united with the Church of Christ in Brooks when a young woman and lived a faithful and consistent life. She was a loving wife and mother, always cheerful and patient, living for the welfare and happiness of those who were more to her than her own life. Having lived well in this life her reward is to live forever in God's Eternal City. The funeral was held from the Methodist Church in Brooks, conducted by Rev. Jas. A. Burns of Clarinda.

[OLSON, BESSIE - 1889]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, May 1, 1889, [p. 1]
Died. April 24th, 1889, at her home in east Clarinda, Bessie Olson, aged 12 years and 5 months.
Bessie was the daughter of Oliver and Julia Olson, a child beloved by all who knew her. All her life long she had been feeble but her last and fatal illness dates from January last when she was taken with heart disease which continually growing worse caused her death.
In school she was an exceptionally apt scholar, with a keen, quick intellect and an eagerness for knowledge seldom met with in one so young. We question why such lives must go and stand dumb in presence of this great mystery. But since all things are only for the best it must be that some good will surely be wrought out from this seeming wrong. This much at least is true, her life was an inspiration to those who yet remain, and the memory of her sweet and gentle presence will lead them on to a better life. "God is Good, let this suffice us still, trusting with childlike faith unto his will, who moves to his great ends unthwarted by the ill."
Funeral services were held at the family residence Thursday afternoon, Rev. Foreman preaching a beautiful sermon, after which the remains were laid to rest in Clarinda cemetery where the sunlight falls down checkered through the trees which hold their outspread arms above in benediction.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, March 21, 1902, [p. 1]
Mrs. H. [enry] G. [rant] Oviatt of Coin died Friday, March 14, at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. James Harris, at Shenandoah. Her death was caused by consumption. Her husband and four children survive.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, March 21, 1902, p. 6
Our town people were made very sad last Friday by the sorrowful news that Mrs. H. [enry] G. [rant] Oviatt had died about noon that day at her parents' home in Shenandoah. She had been in very poor health for several months and had been at her parents, Mr. and Mrs. James Harris, for about two weeks before her death. She was a very kind and estimable lady and had many warm friends here where she had lived for several years. She left a husband and four little girls to mourn the loss of a loving wife and devoted mother.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, October 2nd, 1889, p. 10
Untimely Death—Word was received here Monday morning that C. [harles] W. Painter, formerly of this place, had died the day before at his home in Holyoke, Colorado.
He will be remembered by many of the Herald readers as a resident of this place some five years ago. Attorney H. C. Painter, formerly of this place, is a brother of the deceased, and Mrs. Frank Barr is a sister. When he left here, he went back to his former home, LaHarpe, Ills., and was engaged in the publication of a newspaper, the profession for which he had been preparing himself for some time, having taken a course in type setting in this office. About two years ago he moved his office to the then paper town of Holyoke, Colorado and established himself in the newspaper business in which we learn he has been quite prosperous. He was married Nov. 23, 1887, to Miss Ollie M. Haglett who lived near Iowa City. He was at Denver on business when he contracted the dreaded disease, mountain fever, from which death resulted as above stated. Charley Painter was a good boy and very naturally grew up to be a good man. He was respected and esteemed by all who knew him, and it seems to be a hard fate that decreed that he should give up his life in so short a time after entering upon the active stage of usefulness. His remains were taken to La Harpe for burial.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, April 3, 1889, p. 8
Obituary – T. [evis] C. [lark] Patton died in Aiken, South Carolina, March 24, 1889. Many of our people will remember Mr. Patton, as he has made frequent visits to Clarinda during the past twenty-five years. For many years he has been a sufferer from consumption and was obliged to spend his winters in the south. He left Clarinda in the autumn of 1887 to spend the winter in Aiken and has never been able to leave that place since.
His family, a wife and five children, preceded him to the heavenly home, years ago, and since that time, his life has indeed been lonely, much of the time among strangers. The past winter has been peculiarly trying, living in a hotel with none but stranger's hands to minister to his wants, in his weakness and suffering.
His remains were brought to Kansas City and laid by three of his children, his wife and the remaining two having found a resting place in the old home in Ohio. The funeral occurred on Friday, the 29thult., from the home of a niece in Kansas City.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, October 16, 1889, p. 4
Obituary – Died, at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Martin Reed, in south Clarinda, after a long and painful illness, on Sabbath afternoon, Oct. 13, 1889, Mrs. Hannah L. Peddicord, aged 55 years, 11 months and 13 days. She has been a resident of Iowa for 29 years, the last two or three of which she spent with her daughter. Some years ago, she united with the Christian Church of Marion, Iowa, but in removing to this city failed to bring her certificate of membership so that her last days were without that peculiar help and enjoyment which comes with communion with the people of God. To several she expressed herself as resigned to the will of her Heavenly Father and at last fell asleep.
Final services were held at the house, Rev. T. C. Smith officiating. His words were from the peculiarly appropriate words of Isaiah: "We all do fade as a leaf."

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, December 3, 1896, p. 8
Mr. John Plank of East River township died Friday morning, Nov. 25, 1896, from the injuries received by his runaway team. He was one of Page county's reliable and upright citizens and had been a resident here for over thirty-five years. He was in the 72d year of his age and leaves a bereaved wife and several children to mourn his untimely death. The funeral took place Sunday at 10 o'clock, conducted by Rev. Seay, under the auspices of the Masonic lodge of which he had long been an honored member.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, December 11, 1889, p. 5

Deaths. – Mrs. Rachel Polsley died Dec. 5th, 1889, at the residence of her son, Tavies [Tavis] Polsley. Her sufferings were long and severe; she served out her allotted time and died at a ripe age. Funeral services were conducted on the following day by Rev. J. B. Bartley and others, after which she was laid to rest with her husband in the cemetery southwest of Yorktown.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, December 11, 1889, p. 5
The funeral services of Mrs. F. [letcher] T. Pratt was held in the Congregational church last Monday at 11 o'clock. The services were conducted by Rev. Hilton.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, December 18, 1889, p. 5
Obituary – The subject of this notice, Maria Lightfoot Pratt, was born in Clark county, Ohio, Sept. 12, 1807; was joined in the holy bonds of matrimony with Fletcher Woodruff Pratt, Feb. 25, 1825, and died at College Springs, Iowa, Dec. 7, 1886 [1889], thus being aged 82 years, 2 months and 25 days. She was the mother of twelve children—four sons and eight daughters. Two sons and one daughter have preceded her to the better land. There are to mourn her loss an aged husband, whose joys and sorrows she has shared for nearly 65 years; two sons and seven daughters, eleven grandchildren and two great grandchildren, together with a large circle of neighbors and friends.
Mother Pratt, as we were wont to call her, was a great sufferer for many years from lingering consumption and other complicated diseases. Through it all she was never known to murmur or complain but was always cheerful and full of hope. She was a daily martyr for her children and friends. It was her chiefest joy to relieve the suffering and assist the worthy poor. She was of a quiet, unassuming disposition. Those who knew her best loved her best. She was a conscientious Christian. When the fact of her speedy departure was made known to her, it was received as a matter of course. When asked by the writer, "Mother Pratt are you ready to go? She replied, "Oh yes, I'm ready." "And are you trusting in Jesus?" The prompt reply was, though her voice was almost gone, "yes, I am trusting in Jesus." Funeral services were held in the Congregational church Dec. 9, at 11 o'clock, service conducted by the writer assisted by Revs. Johnston, Buckner, and Lovejoy. So we laid her body to rest, to await the resurrection morn, but her spirit has gone to God who gave it.   W. L. Hilton

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, January 8, 1890, p. 7
Died at College Springs, Page county, Iowa, Dec. 7, 1889, Mrs. Maria L. Pratt, wife of F. [letcher] W.[oodruff] Pratt, aged 82 years, 2 months and 25 days. Mother Pratt was born of English parents in Clarke county, Ohio, married Mr. Pratt Feb. 25, 1825. Twelve children were the fruit of their marriage, nine of whom survive her, and all of them call her blessed.
Mother Pratt was a most remarkable woman. As a wife she excelled as a counselor and was really a helpmeet in the fullest and largest sense of the word. Never was man blessed with a more faithful and loving companion. Few women have such a combination of qualities that go to make up the perfect wife.
As a mother she excelled in the rearing of a large family, not one of the children but that will say, "she is the best mother that ever lived." All the children knew her as a wise counsellor, and none failed to profit by her wise counsel.
As a neighbor, friend—she was ever ready with kind words and helpful deeds to comfort and assist in times of affliction and want; none were turned away empty. Many will rise up and call her blessed in the day when the secrets of all shall be made known.
As a Christian she was a model, worthy of the imitation of all. Her faith was of a practical character and manifested not by saying but by doing. She was a firm believer in the Christian religion, which was manifested by acts of kindness through all the years of her long and eventful life.     J. A. L.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, April 17, 1889, p. 8
An Old Settler Gone
Daniel [David] Porter Robeson, one of the earliest settlers of Page county, died on the 9th inst., aged nearly 68 years.
He came from Ohio to Iowa and in 1855-6 settled in this county. He was a good citizen, neighbor, husband and father. He was a member of, and a ruling elder in the United Presbyterian church. The funeral services were held on the 11th at the church in Page Center. Rev. J. V. Pringle preaching the sermon, after which a very large procession followed the remains to the place of burial.
[Note: The first name on his headstone is David.]

Summerfield Sun (Summerfield, Kansas), Thursday, February 24, 1916, [p. 1]
Was Pioneer in the West
Grandma Robeson Who died Sunday Saw Mormon Temple Burn in Illinois
Sarah Maranda Wilson Robeson, who died in her home here last Sunday was a pioneer settler in the western country, altho not of Kansas. She settled with her husband at Keokuk, Iowa when they first moved west in 1889. This was the period of trouble for the Mormon church and when their large church was burned in Illinois Mrs. Robeson saw the flames from a distance. She also experienced many hardships of the early days when the country was new.
She was born April 3, 1831 at Xenia, O., died at Summerfield, Kansas, Feb. 20, 1916 at the age of 84 years, 10 months and 18 days old. Death was caused by old age and a lingering siege of the grippe with which she had been ailing several weeks.
She was married to David P. [orter] Robeson in the town of her birth on January 1, 1851 and in the fall of the same year they moved to Keokuk, thence to Clarinda, Iowa, where the family home was kept longer than at any other one place. Here the husband died April 9, 1889.
There were nine children in the family. Of these, three have departed from this life: Nettie, at the age of six years; Wilson, at the age of eighteen; and John P. whose family resides here. He died July 29, 1908 at 37 years of age. Those who survive are James I. of Summerfield, Harve D. of Benkelman, Nebraska; Mrs. Belle Gillespie of Summerfield; Mrs. Elizabeth J. [ane] Knox of Amoret, Mo.; Russell R. of Centralia, Kansas and Mrs. Kate E. Frazee of Summerfield. Besides these are also four sisters and one brother living whose ages range from 88 years to 64 years. They are: Mrs. Mary A. Little of Leavenworth, Kansas; Mrs. Rebecca J. Little and Mrs. Abbie Glasco of College Springs, Iowa; Mrs. Ellen Nelson and Joseph Wilson of Clarinda, Iowa. Since 1894 the home has been in Summerfield.
All of the children, eight grandchildren and two nephews, Wilson M. Little and Lincoln Little of Coin, Iowa were present at the funeral. The brother and sisters who are aged were unable to attend.
The funeral services occurred Tuesday with the Rev. W. L. Torrence in charge. The body was buried in the cemetery here.
Mrs. Robeson was brought up in the Covenanter Church and made profession of her faith in her girlhood days at Xenia, Ohio. She followed the Christian life faithfully and earnestly all of her life. She with her husband were not only pioneers in settling the western country but also pioneers of the faith. They were charter members of the Clarinda United Presbyterian congregation.  

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, June 2, 1924, [p. 1] 
Phoebe Rogers – the remains of Phoebe Rogers, a well-known colored lady, were laid to rest Sunday afternoon in Clarinda Cemetery, following the services at the A. M. E. Church conducted by Rev. B. F. Hubbard. Thos. Dunn of Red Oak, a nephew, was the only relative present at the service.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, June 9, 1924, p. 8
Mrs. Phoebe Rogers – Mrs. Phoebe Rogers was born in Andrew County, Mo., about the year 1851. She came to Clarinda, Ia. in 1866 and has lived here ever since. She was one of the older members of St. Jacob's A. M. E. Church. She departed this life May 29, 1924, at 7 o'clock a. m. at the State Hospital, being 73 years old. She leaves to mourn her loss one son whose whereabouts are unknown, one sister whose whereabouts are unknown, two nephews whose whereabouts are unknown, and Thomas Dunn of Red Oak, Ia., a nephew who was present at the funeral, six nieces and a host of relatives. The remains were laid to rest in the Clarinda cemetery.

[RURODE, ELLA -1901]
Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, February 15, 1901, p. 6
Feb. 6, Ella, the only child of Mr. and Mrs. Herman Rurode, died after being ill two weeks with the worst form of scarlet fever. Friday her body was consigned to the earth in Lutheran grave yard at the church. The funeral sermon will be preached when the quarantine is at an end.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday July 31, 1889, p. 10
An Untimely End
A Former Clarinda Boy Meets Death Without a Minute's Notice
H. [enry] Salsgiver received a telegram from Denison, Texas, last Friday stating that his son Harry had been killed that day. The remains were immediately embalmed and sent here, arriving Monday evening on the "Q" from the south. The particulars of the death were not known until the arrival of the remains, when H. A. Osborn, who accompanied him, told the following: It seems that Harry was braking on the railroad at Denison, that the train was already made up for its departure and that Harry found that the brake under the caboose was out of order and crawled under to fix it. There was nobody around when the train started, and he was not missed until the next station was reached when the conductor telegraphed back stating his hind brakeman was missing and wanting to know if he was there. In the meantime, some boys had found him lying on the railroad track with the head completely severed from his body. It is not known and probably never will be, how the accident occurred, whether he was laying with his head across the track or whether the train starting threw him down.
The funeral services occurred at the residence of his parents yesterday, conducted by Rev. A. K. Myattway, of the Baptist Church. A large concourse of friends followed the remains to their last resting place at the cemetery north of town. The family have the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday July 31, 1889, p. 10
Tom Salsgiver of Wymore, Neb., was in town the first of the week attending the funeral of his brother Harry.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, July 24, 1889, 5
Mrs. C. [olumbus] R. [eeves] Shaw died at Carrollton, Mo., last Thursday and was buried from the M. E. Church here Sunday afternoon under the auspices of the Shenandoah Lodge of Odd Fellows. Her husband who is now in the lumber business in Idaho, was the first agent of the H & S Railroad at this point.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, December 11, 1889, p. 5
Deaths. – Sim. Simpson died Dec. 4th, 1889, aged 38 years, with inflammation of the brain. His death was quite sudden and unexpected. He leaves a kind sister and two brothers besides a host of warm friends to mourn his departure. Funeral services were held at the house of Milo Preston on the following day, conducted by Rev. Johnson. His remains were laid to rest in what is known as the Arnold or Polsley grave yard.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, September 18, 1889, p. 10
Obituary – Schuyler Colfax Skinner was born June 15, 1858 and died Sept. 14, 1889, aged 31 years, 2 months and 29 days. He with a brother and brother-in-law had gone to Barnard, Mo., on business. On the day he died, after dinner, he spoke of his feeling better than usual; but a few moments after, upon rising from his seat, he fell and expired immediately.
Although not a confessor of Christ, yet he was a moral citizen, a kind husband. December 31, 1885, he was married to Miss Flora Roberts, from which union two children were born.
Many friends gathered at his late residence to pay their last tribute of respect to one who, in the prime of life, was so suddenly stricken down and to offer their sympathy to the young wife and fatherless children. Rev. T. C. Smith assisted by Father Wallace, officiating.

[SMITH, HARVEY, -1889]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, December 11, 1889, [p. 1]
Once more death has entered the home of D. Q. Smith, this time he called for little Harvey, age 3 years, 3 months and 3 days. This is the second one of the family that has been taken away within a few weeks by typhoid fever. The funeral services were conducted by J. H. Ragan, the minister of the Christian church.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, October 16, 1889, p. 8
Obituary – Departed this life Thursday, Oct. 10, Mr. J. [ohn] D. Stripe in the fifty-sixth year of his age. Mr. Stripe was an old and respected citizen of Page county, an upright and good man. His funeral services were conducted by Rev. B. F. Snook and attended by a large audience of sympathizing friends. The family have the sympathy of our citizens in their sad and severe afflictions.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, February 1, 1901, p. 4
John H. Upp Drops Dead
An Esteemed Citizen of Hepburn Expires Suddenly
Was In the Timber to Chop Wood When the End Came—His Two Sons Were With Him—Body Conveyed to Neighboring House—A Good and Useful Man Gone.
HEPBURN, Jan. 30. – (Special to The Journal.) – At about 3 o'clock this afternoon our community was shocked by the sudden death of John H. Upp, one of our most prominent citizens, at the age of 46 years, 7 months and a few days. After partaking of his usual mid-day meal, he, with his two sons, Frank and Lee, went to the timber about a mile east of town for wood. Seemingly in perfect health, he suddenly dropped his axe and expired. His son, Lee, a 15-year-old boy, working within a few feet of his father, called for help and the stricken body was taken at once to the nearby house of Robert Cope. Dr. W. W. West was called and immediately saw that life was extinct. The remains were then removed to the home of the sorrowing family in this place. Deceased was born in Ross county, O., a little more than forty-six years ago. In 1881 he married Miss Elizabeth Greenfield, who now survives him. Two sons, Frank, 17 years old, and Lee, 15—three sisters and one brother also mourn his loss.
The greater portion of the life of the deceased was spent on a farm, though he was also a good mechanic, and for a number of years has been our leading blacksmith. As a man he was sober, industrious and strictly honest; as a neighbor, social and accommodating; as a citizen, useful and law abiding. At the time of his death he was the head of Hepburn lodge, I. O. O. F., a member of the town council of Hepburn, and one of our school board. The death of such a one has necessarily enshrouded our entire community in gloom.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, February 8, 1901, p. 6
The funeral of John H. Upp, whose sudden death we reported last week, took place at the Methodist Episcopal church in this place last Saturday, and was attended by a large number of people. Rev. J. F. Campbell, from near New Market, conducted the ceremonies, assisted by Rev. Dr. Dodds of this place. Hepburn lodge No. 428, I. O. O. F., attended in a body. The following names gentlemen were pall bearers: W. McDonell, I. Clark, D. Fulton, A. J. Beavers, L. C. Wagaman and T. Wagaman. The remains were laid to rest in Fairview cemetery.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, May 1, 1889, [p. 1]
A Veteran Gone
Last Friday morning, April 26, at 3 o'clock a. m. occurred the death of one of the oldest men residents in this part of the state. Frederick C. Welch was born the 4th of April 1802 in Chenango county, New York. Here he spent his youth but when he was grown to manhood, like thousands of other young men, he left for the west. He settled in Delaware, Ohio, where he remained until early in the sixties, when he removed to Freeport, Illinois. In 1881 he came to Clarinda at which place he made his home up to the time of his death. He took a great deal of interest in the last presidential campaign and was an active member of the "Tippecanoe Club." The result of the election was a source of great satisfaction to him and on the night of the ratification meeting he was one of the most enthusiastic. That night he contracted a severe cold and from that time to his death he suffered severely from the effects of it. Mr. Welch was for many years a member of the Methodist church and always commanded the respect and confidence of his neighbors. The remains were taken to Freeport, Ill., for interment and were accompanied by his wife, two sons and Mr. and Mrs. A. B. McCreary.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, October 9, 1889, p. 8
John Wilfley, younger brother and law partner of R. H. Wilfley, died in Hopkins early Tuesday morning, after about two months illness with typhoid fever. His remains were taken to Page county, Iowa, where his parents reside, where they were interred. – Maryville Republican.