submitted by: Julia Johnson -

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, January 4, 1888, p. 8
Obituary – Departed this life on Monday evening, December 26, at six o'clock, Mrs. Catharine Loy Abbott, aged 72 years and 7 days. She was born in Preble county, Ohio, in the year 1815 and grew to womanhood in that state. In 1854 she removed to Iowa and settled in Page county, where subsequently she was married to David Abbott and to whom she was a faithful wife until her decease. She was an early settler in Page county and a long life of usefulness endeared her to the hearts of her many friends and associates. She was an active member of the Universalist church and an earnest, sincere and devoted Christian—faithful to her Master's work under all circumstances. She was a loving mother to the orphan, with a heart full of charity to the needy. Her church was her main pillar of comfort and consolation in her declining years and to its support she was a liberal contributor. Feeling that her departure was near she desired to leave for the benefit of her church a bequest of one thousand dollars that though dead she might continue to help on the cause so dear to her soul. Before her desires could be expressed in legal form, she was rendered incapable of hearing or speaking. But her friends know her wishes and desires and morally in the sight of God her bequest is sacred to her church and stands good as her gift. The lawful heirs are friends to her church, men and women of honor and integrity, who esteem the memory of their departed sister and will do all that is possible to execute her dying verbal bequest. Her illness was of short duration but severe, and her sufferings intense. Sweetly she leaned her weary head on Jesus' breast and quietly fell asleep in the arms of a Saviour's love.   B. F. Snook


Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, February 22, 1888, p. 5
Greatly Shocked. – Monday afternoon this community was greatly shocked by the announcement of the death of L. F. Abbott, familiarly known as Ford Abbott. He has been a sufferer for two years with that insidious malady, known as Bright's disease of the kidneys and about ten days prior to his death he went to see a doctor at or near Nebraska City. A telegram was received this morning that he was worse, and this was followed up with notice of his death. The funeral will be held at the Universalist church tomorrow at 2:30 o'clock, conducted by Rev. Snook.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, February 29, 1888, p. 8

In memory of Lewis Ford Abbott, who departed this life on Monday, February 20, after a lingering and painful illness.
He was born in Kosciusko County, Indiana, February 5, 1840. He emigrated to Clarinda in 1866 in his 1[?] year.
He was endowed by nature with a good constitution and an active mind with the combination of faculties for a successful financier.
His spirit was one of restless activity and untiring industry. Often after a long day's work he would continue his labors until midnight or later. His motto was honest work for honest pay [words unreadable].
Monday, February 20, while absent from home in search of renewed health, [far] from an affectionate family he passed away as if falling into a pleasant sleep, aged 48 years and 15 days. His soul returned to the god who gave it and God, who is too wise to mistake and too good to do wrong and whose fatherly love will do for mankind all that a true mother would do for her children. He leaves a wife and three children, four brothers and three sisters, and manly friends to mourn his loss.
A large procession led by the fire[?] of which he was an honorable member, followed his remains to the church, thence to the cemetery, where they were laid to rest in that [?] from which "none ever wakes to weep."   B. F. Snook.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, January 4, 1888, p. 4
College Springs
R. [oswell] E. [lliott] Adams, an old and respected citizen of College Springs, died at his residence last Thursday. The funeral services were held Saturday in the Wesleyan Church, of which he was a member.

[AID, JOHN, 1814 - 1888]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, August 8, 1888, p. 8

John Aid, an old and respected citizen of East River township, died Monday and was interred in the Memory cemetery.

[ANDERSON, THOMAS G., 1848-1888]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, June 20, 1888, p. 8
Obituary – Died at his home in East River township, Thomas G. Anderson, May 22, 1888, aged 40 years, 4 months and 9 days. He was born in Washington County Ohio, January 13, 1848. [Rest of obituary unreadable.]

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, February 1, 1888, p. 5
Passed Away. – A little six-year-old daughter of Martin Beauchamp's died at the residence of its grandparents, east of town, on Monday. It had long been a sufferer from typhoid fever.

[BLACK, HENRY, 1839- 1888]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, February 8, 1888, p. 4
College Springs
Henry Black (colored), an old and respected citizen of College Springs, died at his home January 29, aged 49 years. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Avery.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, September 26, 1888, p. 2
Obituary – William Brown, son of E. A. and Elizabeth Brown, of East River township, died the 26thult. Mr. Brown was born and raised in Page county and was a boy of quiet and steady habits and social affinity. He joined the church when but a boy and led a Christian life for some time, but when under trying circumstances, he lost some of his Christian fortitude, but he finally rallied and died in the triumph of a living faith in God. He was left at the head of his mother's family when twenty years of age, which trust he kept until February 24, 1884, when, with the Hundron family of Braddyville, he emigrated to Sacramento, Cal., at which place he was married to Miss Anna L. Hundron, Oct. 23, 1887, where he has since resided. In August 1888 he was taken sick and suffered great agony for some time, when he partially recovered, but taking a relapse he died Aug. 23, his age being 25 years, 10 months and 18 days.
We learn from a letter written that he left many bright evidences that all was well and what was his friends' loss was his gain. He leaves a wife, mother, brothers and sisters to mourn his loss. May heaven bless them and may this bind them closer to each other, closer to Christ and heaven, is the prayer of the many friends who sympathize with them in this sore affliction.
Rest in Peace, thou gentle spirit,
     Throned above.
Souls like thine with God inherit,
     Lie and love.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, January 25, 1888, p. 8
DIED. – A little child of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Burley, four miles south of town, on Monday of last week.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, April 25, 1888, p. 8 
Obituary – Died, at her home in East River township, Maude, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Campbell, April 16, 1888, aged 20 years, 10 months and 23 days.
She was born in Wyandotte county, Ohio, May 23, 1867. Was kind and dutiful, a great support and counselor, and above all a Christian. Not only is Mr. and Mrs. Campbell's loss great but that of the entire neighborhood, for she was loved by all who knew her. She had been a teacher in the public schools for some time.
The funeral services were held at the Center school house, conducted by Rev. C. W. Posten, of College Springs, assisted by Rev. Ford, of Shambaugh. The services were solemn and seemed to affect the whole audience. She was buried at the Memory graveyard and a large concourse of friends and neighbors followed the remains to their last resting place.
May God grant that the influence of her young life may be for good and that many may follow her example and turn to be Christians.
"Rest in peace, thou gentle spirit,
     Throned above.
Souls like thine with God inherit,
    Life and love."
Mr. and Mrs. Campbell return their most sincere thanks to the many kind friends and neighbors who assisted them during her sickness.   A Friend

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, Mar 7, 1888, p. 7
Sad, Indeed. —In the death of Julius Carlson, our efficient county surveyor, we lose a first-class citizen and neighbor. But the public loss is as nothing compared to that of the stricken family in losing a devoted husband and affectionate father. It is sad, indeed, and the afflicted ones have the heartfelt sympathies of all.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, Mar 7, 1888, p. 7
Obituary. – J. [ulius] A. [alexander] Carleson was born Feb. 28, 1852, in Sweden. He came to America in August 1867 at the age of fifteen, was the first of his folks to come; was married to Tamer [Tama] E.[mily] Calhoon, June 14, 1881; is the father of three boys and one girl. The little girl died in infancy two years ago and the baby boy died just nine days before the father. Mr. C.'s parents are living in Sweden. His ancestors, on his mother's side, are known as far back as 1640, in the birth of Birger Carlberg, Bishop, and his son, Bengt Welhelm Carlberg, born 1696, who participated in the noted war of Charles XII of Sweden and assisted in removing him (Charles XII) from the battle field in Norway.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, February 15, 1888, [p. 1]
Obituary – In memory of Mrs. Lottie Chamberlain, who departed this life Friday evening, February 10th, about 8 o'clock, in the 49th year of her age.
She was born at Groveland, Ill., Feb. 22, 1839. She with her parents located in Hawleyville in 1856 and in 1857 she was married to Mr. Thomas B. Chamberlain and located in Clarinda, where she spent the rest of her days.
The volume of her life is written in the hearts of her many near and dear friends. She was in every sense a faithful, true, affectionate and industrious wife; a help meet to her husband. As a mother, loving and dutiful. Her very being twined affectionately around her family. She was universally honored as a true and noble woman and loved as a kind neighbor. She never made a public profession of religion, nor was she a member of any branch of the visible church, but we must not infer from this that she was not a Christian. She was a true believer in God as the kind and loving father of all. Her soul anchored on Christ as the Savior and Redeemer of the world. She was known in her religious convictions as a devout and conscientious believer in Universal Salvation. She represents a very large class of good Christian people who are members of the invisible spiritual body of Christ, who are united to Christ in the Spirit and love of God and man.
She said in her last words to me, "Brother Snook, I am much worse than when you saw me last. It will be a hard battle. It looks as if the chances are against me. I want you to preach my funeral sermon from the text, "She hath done what she could." I feel that I have done all that I could. There is nothing to fear. All is well. Oh, it is so hard to breathe."
Her sufferings were severe and after an illness of near a year, with a short recess, with Christian faith and sweet resignation to the will of God, she bade her family and friends adieu and fell asleep in Jesus. Blessed sleep!
After passing the tempest of pain and affliction, to her "How sweet is the season of rest when life's weary journey is done!"
She leaves a husband and nine children, two brothers and a sister to mourn her loss, besides a large circle of neighbors and friends. In our sorrow let us be comforted in the hope that our loss is her eternal gain.

The services were held at the Universalist church by the pastor, assisted by Revs. Smith and Eddy, at which a large assembly of sympathizing friends were present.  B. F. Snook

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, February 22, 1888, p. 8
DIED. – Of pneumonia, in Moberly, Mo., Thursday morning, Feb. 16, '88, D. W. Coulter, age 28 years. David W. Coulter was born in Logan county, Ohio, in 1860, and came to Iowa when a lad of fourteen. About four years ago he was tendered the position of fireman on engine 1250, west end passenger, from Moberly to Kansas City, which position he accepted and retained until his death. He was a favorite among railroad men and was steadily rising to a position of trust and responsibility in the Wabash system. The remains were brought to this city on Friday morning, where they were met by a committee of the K. of L. and conveyed to the family residence.
Funeral services were held at the Universalist church at 2:00 p. m., conducted by Rev. B. F. Snook who delivered a beautiful discourse from the text: "Blessed are they that mourn for they shall be comforted." Deceased was a member of Clarinda Assembly No. 3760 K. of L. and Anchor Lodge No. 54 Brotherhood of Locomotive Fireman at Moberly. In both orders he sustained an unblemished character, bore an untarnished name, and formed friendships that were "pure gold." He leaves three brothers, E. A. and S. T. of Moberly and C. [harles] S. [amuel] of Clarinda, and his aged mother to mourn his loss; but if integrity and faithful manhood furnishes a passport to the "land of the leal" their loss will prove his gain and he has passed unchallenged into the sanctuary of the assembly eternal.

[CARSWELL, JAMES A., - 1888]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, July 4, 1888, p. 5
College Springs
Died, at the residence of his father, in College Springs, James Cresswell [Carswell]. He had a tooth pulled a short time ago which was ulcerated at the roots, but it seemed to be getting along very well and nothing was feared until a short time before he died. An abscess formed in the throat which was beyond the skill of the physicians to remove and after a few hours of intense suffering he passed away. Mr. Cresswell was a young man, respected by all who knew him and a member of the Reformed Presbyterian church. The sorrowing family have the sympathy of the entire community in this their sore affliction. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Johnston, assisted by Revs. Avery, Forsythe and Kennedy. A large and sympathetic crowd assembled to pay their last respects.

[CARSWELL, JAMES A., - 1888]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, July 18, 1888, p. 8
Obituary – James A. Carswell, whose death was announced in a recent issue of this paper, was born in County Antrim, Ireland, where he resided for the first nine years of his life. Afterwards moving to Coleraine in County Derry, where he received a good school education and from thence eight years later in August 1883, to the town of College Springs, Iowa, where he was engaged in farming until his decease, which occurred June 30. His death was rather sudden and unexpected to his many friends and acquaintances, who did not suspect anything serious the matter until about eight or ten hours before his death, when it became apparent to all that the end was not far off. His illness, as before intimated, originated in a diseased tooth which swelled his face badly, afterwards an abscess formed in his throat which could not be reached by medical skill.
He was, however, perfectly resigned to his heavenly father's will and bore his intense suffering with Christian fortitude and calmness and willingness to depart and be with Jesus Christ who died for him.
His death comes as a solemn warning and exhortation to us all to be ready. "Be ye therefore ready also for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not."  Luke 12:40

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, April 4, 1888, p. 4
Died – At her home near Coin, of consumption, March 20, Flora Dougherty, aged 19 years, 9 months and 19 days. Funeral services were held at the church at this place, March 22. "Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord." Flora will be greatly missed from among us. She was a member of the M. E. church here and had no fear of death.

[DOUGHERTY, GROVER G., 1888-1888]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, August 22, 1888, [p. 1]
New Market

Mr. James Daugherty [Dougherty] buried a little babe two months old last week. He wife and another child, aged two years, died within the last two months. He has the sympathy of the entire community.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, March 30, 1892, p. 3
Grandma Dugan died March 19, '92. Funeral services conducted by the pastor Rob't Hood at the home of her son, William, Tuesday, March 22.
Her maiden name was Catharine Curry; was born in Ireland in 1809 but came to America when quite young; was married to James Dugan in Butler county, Pa., where they lived until '52, when they moved to Hancock county, Ill. In 1866 the family came to Page county, Iowa, arriving on the site of the present homestead April 23.
Mr. and Mrs. Dugan were members of U. S. Reformed Presbyterian church until they came to Page county, when they united with the United Presbyterian church at College Springs.
Grandma Dugan was truly a great woman, remarkable for intelligence, wisdom and piety. She was also noted for her cheerful disposition, being always ready to speak a cheering word to those who were about her.
She lived to be about 83 years of age and was ripe for heaven. Five sons, one daughter and thirty grandchildren remain to mourn for her.

[DUGAN, JAMES, 1809 - 1888]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, February 8, 1888, p. 4
College Springs
Father Dugan, who lives four miles north of town, died at the residence of his son, William, last Thursday. Funeral services were held Saturday, conducted by Rev. Johnston, of whose church he was a member.

[DUGAN, JAMES, 1809 – 1888]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, February 15, 1888, p. 5
On the 4th inst. the remains of James Dugan were laid to rest in the College Springs cemetery. Mr. Dugan was an old and respected citizen and attained the ripe age of four score. He emigrated to this county from Illinois twenty-two years ago. Until within a few years he has taken a lively interest in public affairs; held the office of trustee of his township for a number of years, was a consistent member of the United Presbyterian church at College Springs; he leaves an aged widow, five sons, one daughter and a host of friends to mourn his loss.

[DUGAN, JAMES, 1809 – 1888]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, February 15, 1888, p. 5
Mrs. Lewis Parrott of Rawlins county, Kansas, is here, being called here by the death of her father, James Dugan and the serious illness of her son John.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, November 25th, 1898, p. 7
Gloom was thrown over this community by the sudden death of Mrs. W. [illiam] W. [ilison] Dugan who passed away at 11 o'clock last Friday. She was greatly beloved by all who knew her, was a member of the United Presbyterian church at this place and a good worker in all the branches of church work. She leaves a husband, seven children, six sisters, one brother and a great many friends to mourn her departure. The funeral services were held at the home at 2 o'clock, Saturday. The sermon was preached by Rev. Mr. Brockett. The remains were laid to rest in the College Springs cemetery. The sorrowing family have the sympathy of the entire community in their great bereavement.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Tuesday, December 6, 1898, p. 3
Obituary – Mrs. Wm. Dugan and infant babe departed this life Nov. 18, 1898. Rev. O. G. Brockett, her pastor, assisted by Rev. Dill, conducted the funeral services the 19th at 2:00 p. m., and the remains—the babe clasped in the mother's arms—were interred in the College Springs Cemetery just at sun set. The death was so sudden it seemed like a translation from earth to heaven. And the text, "To depart and be with Christ, which is far better," seemed to be literally fulfilled. She was a very good pious wife and mother and was held in high esteem by a large concourse of friends and neighbors. There were about five hundred at the funeral, all of whom could testify that their loss was her gain.  Pastor

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, April 11, 1929, [p. 1]
For 63 Years a Resident on the Same Farm
W. W. Dugan, an Early Pioneer, Passed Away. Resident Harlan Township
Having lived for sixty-three years on the same farm, south of Page Center, W. [illiam] W. [ilson] Dugan breathed his last there Tuesday afternoon, at the age of 83 years.
Funeral services are being held this Thursday afternoon at the United Presbyterian church in College Springs, conducted by his pastor, Rev. Wm. A. Pollock, interment being made beside the grave of his wife, who passed away thirty-two years ago.
Mr. Dugan was born Dec. 22nd, 1845, in Harrisville, Butler County, Pennsylvania, coming with his parents to Illinois when six years of age and at the age of twenty accompanied the family still further westward to Page county, Iowa, where he has since resided. Three weeks were required to drive from Carthage, Ill., with horse and wagon, the roads being muddy. He was united in marriage to Miss Rose Anne Andrews, and together they went through the usual hard work and privations of the western pioneer, being successful in the conduct of their farm, and best of all accumulated a host of friends and a fine family of boys and girls, who today rise to call them blessed. The surviving children are Mrs. J. [ames] C. Nelson and Mrs. H. [ugh] G. Nelson of Liberty, Neb. (the sisters married brothers), J. [ames] Elmer Dugan of Cheyenne, Wyo., Mrs. Christian Bearce of Kansas City, Mo., Mrs. D. [avid] G. McDougal of Ridgeway, Mo., the son S. W. Emerson Dugan, who is running the farm and has been making a home for his father in his declining days and the younger daughter, Mrs. Floyd Reed of Greeley, Colo.
All of the children are able to be present at the funeral. Mr. Dugan's final illness came from a fall in his haymow.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, April 15, 1929, p. 6
College Springs
April 13 – W. [illiam] W. [ilson] Dugan who has been seriously ill for several weeks, passed away Tuesday afternoon. About a month ago Mr. Dugan fell 18 feet in the barn, striking the concrete floor, bruising him badly. His remaining children, five daughters and two sons, survive him. They are Mrs. Emma Nelson of Liberty, Nebr., Mrs. Ida Nelson of Liberty, Nebr., Mrs. Christina Bearce of Kansas City, Mo., Jane McDougall of Ridgeway, Mo., Mrs. Bertha Reed of Greeley, Colo., Elmer of Bushnell, Nebr., and Emerson on the home place. The funeral services were held Thursday afternoon from the United Presbyterian church, conducted by the pastor, Dr. W. A. Pollock, and interment was made in Maple Hill cemetery.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, April 15, 1929, p. 6
College Springs
April 10 – Wm. Dugan, who for over 60 years has been a resident of Page county, died at his home last Tuesday afternoon. About a month ago Mr. Dugan fell from the haymow sustaining a broken shoulder blade and his last illness dates from this accident. Funeral services were held Thursday afternoon at the United Presbyterian church. All of the seven surviving children were at the funeral. Mr. Dugan has for a number of years been living with his son, Emerson, who has been running the home farm.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, April 19, 1929, p. 4
W. W. Dugan – William Wilison, son of James and Catherine Dugan, was born Dec. 22, 1845 in Butler County, Penn. He was a member of a family of six children, having one sister and four brothers, namely Eliza Jane Parrott, James Campbell, J. Hutchman, Samuel C. and Matthew F., the latter brother being the only remaining member of this family. The family moved to Hancock County, Ill. in the spring of 1852, coming by way of steamboat up the Allegheny, Ohio and Mississippi rivers. They came to Page County, Iowa, arriving April 23, 1866 at the farm where he made his home until his death April 9, 1929, a period of 63 years.
He was united in marriage to Rose Ann Andrews Feb. 21, 1877 who preceded him to her reward Nov. 18, 1898. To this union were born nine children, two dying in infancy. Those remaining are: Emma R. [osetta] Nelson, Ida I. [sabelle] Nelson, both of Liberty, Nebraska; J. [ames] Elmer of Bushnell, Nebr.; Christina Bearce of Kansas City, Mo.; Jeanette MacDougall of Ridgeway, Mo.; S. W. Emerson on the home farm and Bertha A. [da] Reed of Greeley, Colorado. All were present at the funeral Thursday afternoon. He also leaves 12 grandsons, 14 granddaughters, and 2 great granddaughters.
He united with the United Presbyterian church in early life, always a faithful member, serving as an Elder for 25 years at Page Center. His life was an active one, not lived selfishly but generously, not only for his family but for all humanity. "There is a vast and lonely space against the sky."
The funeral service was held Thursday afternoon, April 11, from the United Presbyterian Church at College Springs conducted by the pastor, Rev. Wm. A. Pollock. Interment was in Maple Hill Cemetery at College Springs.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Tuesday, January 31, 1899, p. 2
Obituary – Elihu H. Dunn was born Dec. 19, 1815, in Brown Co., Ohio and died at the home of his son Emory, in this city, Jan. 28, aged 83 years, 1 month and 9 days. He was united in marriage to Miss Mary Parker, Aug. 12, 1836. To them were born four children, three of whom are living, Mary J. Frazier and Emory Dunn of this city and Mrs. Martha A. Dunn, of Kansas City, Mo. He came to Illinois with his family in 1855 and to Taylor County, Iowa, in 1865, and in 1867 came to Clarinda, where he has resided ever since. Shortly after their marriage he and his wife were converted to God and both were baptised in the river, going out in the stream and kneeling down, the minister pouring the water on their heads. Besides those mentioned who mourn his loss, there are seven grandchildren and eight great grandchildren. Nearly all of his Christian life he was connected with the church in an official capacity. A class leader in the early days of Methodism meant a preacher and all other official work. He wrought well and now is crowned in his heavenly home. Only four weeks ago he attended church services and although very feeble in physical strength he was greatly interested and clear minded in his appreciation of the sermon. He was always outspoken on all moral questions and was always on the right side. In his death all who knew him can join in saying that a good man has gone to his reward. The funeral services, conducted by Rev. Vedder, were held at the Methodist church Sunday afternoon and were attended by a large number of friends.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, February 3, 1899, [p. 1]
E. H. Dunn died at the home of his son, Emery Dunn, at 8:30 Saturday evening, age 83 years, 1 month and 8 days. Mr. Dunn was born in Brown county, O., Dec. 20, 1815, where he lived for about 40 years. In 1836 he was married to Miss Mary Parker in Sardinia, O., and four children were born to them, two sons, Emery, who is a resident of this city and Elijah, who died in 1857 at the age of 4 years, and two daughters, Mrs. W. A. Frazier of this city and Mrs. J. H. Dunn of Kansas City, Mo. He moved from Ohio to Knox county, Ill., in 1855 and from there to Taylor county in 1865 and in 1867 he moved to this city, where he remained until his death. His wife died in this city in 1888, and since then he has made his home with his son, Emery. For a number of years Mr. Dunn conducted a grocery store in this city at the corner of Eleventh and Garfield streets, and later the mineral bath rooms at the same location and made many friends among our citizens. He was honest and upright in all his business transactions and was liked and respected by all with whom he became acquainted. The funeral services were held at the Methodist Episcopal church Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock, conducted by Rev. P. V. D. Vedder and his remains were laid to rest in the city cemetery.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, February 3, 1899, p. 7
Mrs. Mattie Dunn and daughter, Mrs. Nannie Spake, of Kansas City, arrived here Saturday night and remained until Wednesday morning. They came on account of the illness and death of Mrs, Dunn's father, E. H. Dunn.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, April 25, 1888, p. 8
Died, of asthma, at her home in East Clarinda, Friday, April 20, Mary, wife of E.[li] H. Dunn, Sr. Mary Parker was born in Brown county, Ohio, December 22, 1816 and was married to E. [li] H. Dunn, August 12, 1836. In the spring of 1855 she came with her husband to Iowa, where they have since resided; the last 21 years having been spent in Clarinda. For more than half a century she has been a member of the M. E. Church and was ever a faithful worker for the success of the cause she loved. Her presence cheered the sick and in many an humble home the memory of her gentle, encouraging counsels lingers like a benediction. The world of fashion knew her not; her lot was cast among the common people and they knew and appreciated the great and tender heart that lately ceased to beat. She leaves three children, E. H., Jr. and Mrs. Frazier of this city, and Mrs. Henry Dunn of Kansas City. Her aged husband survives her. For more than fifty years they have journeyed hand in hand along the road of life, but now, the promise of these years having been kept, the reward has come to the weary, patient, suffering soul, and she rests at the end of the path in the city whose builder and maker is God.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, February 15, 1888, [p. 1]
DIED. – Sunday evening about midnight, Bessie K., infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. D. Freedman. The child had only been sick a short time and no thoughts of danger were apprehended by the parents, Mr. Freedman being in Chicago on business at the time of the death.
The remains were taken to St. Joseph this morning for interment. The loving parents have the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community in their sad bereavement.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, February 15, 1888, p. 5
Mr. D. Freedman was called home from Chicago Tuesday morning by a telegram announcing the death of his daughter.

[HALL, LAURA, -1888]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, July 18, 1888, p. 8
Sad Death – Laura Hall, a seven-year-old daughter of Widow Hall, living in the northeast part of town, was burned to death last Tuesday. The mother had gone to church and before starting had left positive orders for the little one to make no more fire. But the order was disregarded and in attempting to heat the stove with some light chips and dry limbs the child's dress was set on fire. A younger sister who was present could have easily summoned assistance but, in her fright, she thought only of running for her mother a quarter of a mile away. Finally, some neighbor ladies, attracted by the continued cries of the child, rushed in to find her clothing nearly burned off and the body burnt in a frightful manner. Doctor Van Sandt was summoned and did all for the little sufferer that was possible to medical skill; but help was unavailing and on Thursday morning she passed away. The remains were taken to Coburg for interment.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, January 18, 1888, p. 8
DIED. – Friday, January 13, 1888, at his residence five miles northwest of Clarinda, Josiah Harrington, in the 85th year of his age. He was buried in the Clarinda cemetery. Mr. H. was an old resident of Page county and leaves an army of friends to regret his taking off.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, September 19, 1888, p. 4
Obituary – Died at the residence of Mrs. Sarah Mulkins, five miles southeast of Clarinda, on the 31stUltines of Flux, Newman Floyd Hays, infant son of Mrs. S. S. Hays. His remains were taken to the Davis School house cemetery for interment, where a vast number of relatives and friends listened to an able funeral sermon preached by Rev. A. Wilson. The little fellow had only reached the age of 1 yr., 1 mo. and 18 days, when God saw fit to remove him from our midst and take him to rest.
[Poem not transcribed]

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, August 8, 1888, p. 5
College Springs
A little child of S. [ebra] B. [eaman] Hazelton's, living northwest of town, was buried in the cemetery at this place on last Thursday.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, May 25, 1936, p. 8
Mrs. Tama Hill – Mrs. William Hill passed away May 19th, 1936, at 12:30 p. m. after only a few hours of not feeling as well as usual. She was visiting in the home of her son, Edgar Carlson, near Elmo, Mo.
Mrs. Hill had enjoyed good health and was able to visit often in the different homes of her children. The only thing that marred this happiness was her failing eyesight, but even with this affliction she continued with her sunny, cheery disposition, never mentioning this was a sorrow or handicap.
Tama Emily Calhoun, daughter of the late N. [ewton] J. [ames] and Martha Calhoun, was born October 1, 1861, at Clarinda, Ia. She graduated from the Clarinda high school and later taught in the same school for a number of years.
On June 14, 1881, Tama was married to J. [ulius] A. [lexander] Carlson, who was a teacher and surveyor. They made their home on the farm northwest of College Springs. To this union were born four children, Edgar of Elmo, MO.; Julius of Battle Creek, Mich.; Ivan and Ethelyn dying in infancy. Mr. Carlson died in 1889.
After being left a widow, Tama took her two boys back to Clarinda and resumed her profession of teaching.
Later on, she married William Hill on June 12, 1895. This union was blessed with 5 children: Arthur, wo died at the Great Lakes after enlisting in the World War; Newton and Vernon of College Springs and Martha Anderson of Coin, and a baby dying in infancy.
There were left numerous grandchildren and several great grandchildren to miss this devoted grandmother. Also Mrs. Hill leaves to mourn her passing three sisters, Mrs. J. H. Damewood and Mrs. I. D. Christie of Clarinda, and Mrs. Willis Cole of Long Beach, Calif.
Last fall a brother, George, of Kansas City, Mo., was laid to rest. The others that are gone are Allen and Manual, who died several years ago.
The funeral service was held in the United Presbyterian church at College Springs Thursday afternoon at 2:30 conducted by the pastor, Rev. W. A. Pollock, D. D., assisted by Rev. Remo I. Robb of the Reformed Presbyterian church of Clarinda. The floral offering was very large. Pallbearers were Chas. Davidson, A. H. Twaddle, Dale Hitchcock, Tom Hill, Hugh Hill, and Charley Little. Music was furnished by Mrs. H. L. Martin, Miss Elizabeth Pollock, Harry Osborne and H. D. Hill, with C. D. Wyckoff at the organ. Interment in Maple Hill cemetery.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, February 3, 1899, [p. 1]
Cyrus Raymond Hutchings died at Murray, Salt Lake county, Utah, Jan. 19, 1899, after a lingering illness of nearly three years with Bright's disease. He is well remembered by older residents of Clarinda, having lived here from October 1868 to December 1870, working at painting and carpentering. On Christmas day, 1870, he went south with a photograph car and the next spring enlisted in the regular army at Fort Leavenworth, Kan. He soon afterward went with his regiment to Holly Springs, Miss., from there to Baton Rouge, La., and later had command of the company which guarded the St. Charles hotel at New Orleans when the celebrated "Returning board" was in session. The next year he was ordered to Helena, Mont. and while there his term of service for the government expired and he drifted down to Salt Lake City. In 1880 he married a daughter of James Goff, the Utah cattle king and has since lived in or near Salt Lake City, holding the position of assayer for the Morgan and Germania Smelting works. He was a man of great natural talent and had cultivated the better part of himself until he might have walked life's highest plain. He was a bookworm and had at his tongue's end much of the world's history and could converse as intelligently upon the deep metaphysical problem of life as could others upon the most common theme. In language other than his own he read the thoughts of man and for himself he solved the riddles of the whence? the where and why? In religious belief he was for years a subscriber to the doctrine of the German Rationalists but later became an agnostic, a follower of Colonel Ingersoll, but during the last year he had been a frequent attendant at the Methodist Episcopal church and his friends have reason to believe that the faith taught him at his mother's knee came back again. Will.   Clarinda, Feb. 2

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, September 12, 1888, p. 5
Mrs. Maxly Jewett died Sunday morning at two o'clock of typhoid fever. The funeral, conducted by Rev. Wickersham, took place Monday from the residence, nine miles southeast of town. The burial was at the cemetery here.

[JOHNSON, JAMES M., 1833 - 1888]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, September 26, 1888, [p. 1]
DIED. – James M. Johnson, at his home near the "Q" depot, Monday, September 24, 1888. The funeral services occurred yesterday, and the remains were laid away in the Clarinda cemetery. The obituary will be published next week.

[JOHNSON, JAMES M., - 1888]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, October 3, 1888, p. 4
Obituary – In memory of James M. Johnson, of whose death the Herald last week made mention, was born in Madison county, Ohio, October 15, 1833, and removed to Clark county, Iowa, when 19 years of age. In '61 enlisted as a private in Co. B, 18th Iowa Infantry and followed the fortunes of the flag until ill health compelled his discharge in '62. In 1864 he was married to Sarah H. Parrott, of Osceola, where they resided until their removal to Grand River, Ia., in '82. In '86 they became residents of Clarinda.
Such is the short and simple story of the life just closed. But friendship reads "between the lines" the record of the hopes, ambition and desires that swayed this soul and since it might be that my friend might miss some token from my hand in this, I would pay his memory this little tribute of respect.
J. M. Johnson was one of nature's nobility, kind hearted, generous and just. No desires for place and power took possession of his mind. To do right and be right was his highest aim. Approving conscience and the smiles of Heaven was the limit of his desires.   H.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, February 29, 1888, p. 8
Samuel C. [aldwell] Johnson was born August 13, 1813  in Trumbull county, Ohio and died in this city February 24, 1888, aged 74 years, 6 months and 11 days.
He was of Scotch parentage and very early in life, at 15 years of age, he became a member of the Presbyterian church and served it as a ruling elder both in Pennsylvania and Iowa.
He was an early and very earnest advocate of anti-slavery doctrine and he [?] identified himself with the Free Presbyterians.
Upon his removal to this place in the spring of 1868, he united with the Presbyterian church and was soon afterwards elected a ruling elder in the same, but with characteristic modesty he declined to serve because he had so recently come among them.
In 1870 he was again elected and was installed by Rev. R. R. Wescott, pastor, continuing to exercise the duties of that responsible office acceptable to the church until within a few years of his death, when the infirmities of age compelled him to cease therefrom.
He was married in1839 and his wife died in 1881. He left eight children living, three sons and five daughters, all of which were converted through the Godly life of their parents. His epitaph may be fully written in a few short sentences. He was a consistent, humble Christian for sixty years; a ruling elder for forty-five years; a man of strong convictions and of great charity. He led many to Christ but made enemies of none. He served God faithfully and was gathered to his father full of years.
The funeral services by his pastor, assisted by Rev. Westcott, were held at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Don Southerland, with whom he has lived for many years. Text: 2 Tim., 4: 6, 7, 8.    T. C. S.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, February 8, 1888, p. 8
DIED. – Wednesday, Feb. 1, 1888, of lung fever, Henry Albert, son of Thomas and Eliza Jones, in the 16th year of his age. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Eddy, pastor of the First Baptist church, assisted by Rev. Niece, of the A. M. E. church. He was taken sick on the 25th day of January 1888 and improved rapidly until February 1, when he was considered out of danger by his physician and parents but died very suddenly while his father was attending a funeral at College Springs. In school he was kind to his teacher and schoolmates and was good in his studies, and the teachers and scholars will miss him. The parents extend their heartfelt thanks to those who helped them in their bereavement.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, March 28, 1888, p. 5
College Springs
Grandmother Laughlin, wife of James Laughlin, who has been a sufferer for more than twenty-five years, passed to her rest last Sabbath morning. The funeral services were held at the Congregational church, Tuesday afternoon, at 2 o'clock p. m. Her aged husband and sorrowing friends have the sympathy of the community.

[LESLIE, ELMER E., -1888]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, January 4, 1888, p. 8
Sad News – Word was received Monday by Ed. Leslie that his brother, Elmer E., who was a conductor on the railroad at Portland, Oregon, had been killed by a train, no particulars being given. Mr. L. was well known in the south part of the county, having attended Amity college for a number of years.

[MCQUEEN, DILL - 1888]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, August 1, 1888, p. 8
Boy Drowned – Monday, about 11 o'clock, four boys who were picking blackberries for Elliott & Saum quit work and went to the river for a swim—or rather a play in the water—for it seems that not one of them could swim. Three of the boys were brothers, by the name of McQueen, from Hawleyville, and in wading around a little fellow about twelve years old got into a deep hole and his brother, sixteen years old, went to his rescue. The little one escaped but the brother was drowned. The alarm was quickly given and quite a crowd was soon engaged in searching for the body. After about two hours, Frank Tomlinson, who with a number of other boys were engaged in hunting, found the body about three rods below where the accident happened and lying in twelve feet of water. Life was entirely extinct and all that could be done was to take the body to the sorrowing family for the performance of the last sad rites.

[MCQUEEN, DILL - 1888]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, August 8, 1888, p. 5
The sad accident which resulted in the death of Dill McQueen, has already been noticed in the Herald; suffice it to say that everything was done by sympathizing neighbors and friends for the sorrowing family that could be thought of and they have the heartfelt sympathy of all in their hour of trouble. Dill was a good, quiet boy, 16 years of age, and he will be greatly missed. It should be a warning to all boys to keep away from the river. Death ever near; how many go forth in the morning and never come back at night. Then let us remember our lives are not our own and try and live so; even at a moment's warning we should be ready.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, February 1, 1888, p. 5
DIED. – Last Wednesday evening about 8 o'clock, Maude, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Meacham. Little Maude had been suffering from an attack of diphtheria for fifteen days, but most of the time her condition was not considered dangerous. At times she seemed to be rapidly convalescing and again the dread disease would assert its power and thus through days and nights of anxious watching the loving parents bent over her wasting form alternately buoyed up with hope and depressed with fear. But the frail body could no longer endure the strain and the spirit of little Maude took its flight to him who gave it. She was a little past nine years old, was of most lovable disposition and a great favorite with her little friends. The afflicted parents have the sincere sympathy of all their acquaintances.

[MEAD, JOHNIE, - 1888]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, April 18, 1888, [p. 1]
Johnie, son of Mr. and Mrs. Eli Mead, died of a pneumonia relapse at the residence of A. J. Leakey a few days ago at the age of 11 years. The parents and friends have sympathy of the community in their sad bereavement.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, October 27, 1927, p. 4
C. W. Mitchell – One of the last surviving veterans of the Civil War living at Yorktown has gone with the passing of Charles W. [arren] Mitchell who died at his home early Sunday morning after an illness of several weeks. Funeral services were held Monday afternoon from the Yorktown Methodist Church with Rev. E. B. Stewart in charge with interment in Summitt Cemetery. A quartet composed of Mrs. Will Chaffin, Mrs. Tom Whitney, George Wollenhaupt, and Earl Annan furnished special music for the occasion. Pallbearers were grandsons of the deceased, Everett Handorf, Bruce, Wendall and Harold Mitchell and Darrell and Meton [Merton] McNutt.
Charles Warren, son of Enos and Harriet Chaffin Mitchell, was born in Meigs County, Ohio, March 28, 1844 and departed this life at the ripe old age of 83 years, 6 months and 25 days.
In his boyhood he moved with his parents to Knox county, Ill.
In the year 1863 at the age of 19 years he enlisted in Company G, 89th regiment Illinois Volunteers and served until the close of the Civil war.
On April 7, 1870, he was united in marriage with Miss Lucinda Westfall. To this union were born eight children: A. [lvin] Walter, of Orient, Iowa; Effie M. [ay] Loy, deceased; C. [harles] Herbert, Clarinda, Ia.; Jennie Handorf, Coin, Ia.; N. [ellie] Mabel Morley, deceased; Maggie H. [arriet] McNutt, deceased; George F. [rancis], of Coin, Ia.; and a baby girl who died in infancy.
Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell moved to Iowa in 1872, living a few years in Clark county, then moving to Page county where they have made their home. They have lived in their home in Yorktown for over thirty years.
When a boy Mr. Mitchell was converted and joined the Methodist Episcopal church. He has been a member of the Yorktown Methodist church since the church was built.
Mr. Mitchell was a member of Warren Post   G. A. R. No. 29, Clarinda, and has attended most of the National Encampments. The last was at Des Moines last year where he marched in the parade. When invited to ride he refused, saying he wished to march as long as he was able. He was unable to attend this year.
Mr. Mitchell was appointed postmaster at Yorktown in 1897 or 98 and held the office for many years.
He was one of seven children. Three brothers are still living, Obidiah [Obediah], at Elbing, Kas.; Dr. Enos of Grand River, Iowa; and Asbury, at Weldon, Ia.
He leaves to mourn their loss, his faithful wife, four children, twenty-four grandchildren, five great grandchildren; besides a host of relatives and friends.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, October 27, 1927, p. 4
Oct. 26. – W. W. Williams was called to Yorktown early Sunday morning by the death of C. W. Mitchell who had been ill about three weeks after suffering a stroke of paralysis. George Mitchell his son of this place was at his bedside almost constantly during his illness. The funeral was held on Sunday afternoon at Yorktown attended by many relatives and friends. Two grandchildren, Lyle Mitchell and Jean Mitchell, both in college, were here several days preceding his death.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, October 31, 1927, p. 7
There were many out-of-town relatives and former friends of C. W. Mitchell to attend the funeral last Monday afternoon. The last rites for this old solder were most impressive and the floral offerings beautiful. Among those who came for the funeral were: His brothers, Dr. Enos Mitchell of Grand River; Asbury, of Weldon; his son, Walter, and family from Orient; two grandsons, Darrel and Merton McNutt from Diagonal. The nephews and nieces, Mrs. R. L. Mitchell and son of Weldon; Wm. Mitchell and son of Garden Grove; George E. Mitchell and wife of Creston; Mr. and Mrs. Newell Goff of Clarinda; Mr. and Mrs. Ray Polsley of Bedford. Two of the grandchildren, Jean Mitchell of Coin and Lyall Mitchell of Clarinda, visited their grandfather last week, but were unable to return for the funeral.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, August 15, 1888, [p. 1]
A little child of C. [harles] W. [arren] Mitchell (adopted) died of cholera infantum on the evening of the 7th inst. The remains were taken to Weldon on the following day for burial, where its mother was buried less than a year ago. The loss was as one of the family to Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell, who have the heartfelt sympathy of the community.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, May 6, 1940, [p. 1]
Grandma Michell Dies At Yorktown; Was Near 94 Years
Burial at Summit Cemetery Beside Grave of Husband Who Was Civil War Vet
Yorktown (Special) -- Yorktown's oldest resident, Mrs. C. W. Mitchell, died at her home here Saturday night. She would have been 94 years of age had she been spared until August 18, her birthday. The Mitchell family is one of the old and most esteemed in this community. Mr. Mitchell was a Civil war veteran, and both were strong community and church workers. The funeral services were held this Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Yorktown Methodist church. Rev. Francis B. Harris was in charge as her pastor. Burial will be in Summit cemetery. Three children survive, including Walter of Orient, George of Clarinda and Mrs Harmon Handorf of near Yorktown. Mr. Mitchell died 12 years ago, since which time Mrs. Mitchell has continued her home here.

Clarinda Herald Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Monday, May 20, 1940, p. 5
Mrs. C. W. Mitchell – Lucinda Jane, daughter of Sylvanus and Samantha Westfall, was born Aug. 18, 1846, in Meigs County, Ohio, and passed away at her home in Yorktown, May 4, 1940, at the age of 93 years, 8 months and 16 days. She moved with her parents to Knox county, Illinois, in 1852, where she spent her girlhood days and received her education. 
On April 7, 1870, she was united in marriage with Charles W. [arren] Mitchell. To this union eight children were born, A. [lvin] Walter of Orient, Ia, Effie Loy (deceased), C. [harles] Herbert (deceased), Jennie Handorf of Coin, Ia, N. [ellie] Mable Morley (deceased), George F. [rancis] of Clarinda, Ia, and a baby girl who died in infancy.
Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell moved to Iowa in 1872, living a few years in Clark county, then moving to Page county where they have made their home and spent these years in happy companionship until Mr. Mitchell's death on Oct. 23, 1927.
When a young girl she was converted and joined the Methodist church and remained a loyal and faithful member until her death.
She was one of a family of ten children, being the last member of her immediate family to depart this life.
She leaves to mourn their loss, 3 children, 22 grandchildren, 26 great grandchildren, besides a host of other relatives and friends.
Funeral services were held on Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock in the Yorktown Methodist church, where a large number of relatives and friends gathered for the services which were conducted by her pastor, the Rev Frank Lister, pastor of the First Methodist church of Clarinda. A quartet, composed of Mrs N N Yearous, Mrs Harry Young, Mrs W H Chaffin and Mrs Tom Whitney, sang "Rock of Ages," "It Is Well," and "Nearer My God to thee," accompanied at the piano by Mrs Clyde Apple of Clarinda. Casket bearers were Ray Polsley, Glen Mitchell, Lorraine Hughes, George Mitchell, jr, Bruce Mitchell and Floyd Strong. The lovely flowers were cared for by Mrs Ross Knox and Mrs Paul Freed. Burial was made in the Summit cemetery.

Relatives attending from a distance were Mr and Mrs Walter Mitchell, Bruce and Helen of Orient, Ia, Mrs Gerald Rowland of St Charles, Ia, Mr and Mrs Floyd Strong of Greenfield, Ia, Mr and Mrs Albert Evans and two daughters of Des Moines, Ia. Everett Maxwell and George Segriss of Guss, Ia, Mr and Mrs Carroll Mitchell and son Dickie of Red Oak, Ia, Helen Mitchell of Cantril, Ia, and George Mitchell, jr, of Keokuk, Ia.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, March 7, 1888, [p. 1]
The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Moffin died March 1 at the age of eleven days. The little one was laid to rest in the Summit cemetery, and the parents have the sympathy of the community in their bereavement.

[MOORE, WILLIAM, 1803-1888]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, July 4, 1888, p. 8
Called Home
Last Saturday morning the angel of death called to his eternal home Wm. Moore of this place. The deceased was born in Adams county, Ohio, in 1803, was married in 1826 to Sarah R. Graham and removed to Iroquois county, Ill., in about 1830. Here he selected a piece of land and proceeded to make a home for his little family, consisting at this time of wife and two children, but before he had become permanently established news came to him that the Indians were on the war path and would in a very short time be there. He hastily fled to Lafayette, Indiana, to secure protection in the fort. He was still determined to find a western home and next located near Logansport, Indiana, but did not remain here more than a year but removed to Fulton county near Rochester. Here he made his home for nearly forty years. In 1871 he moved to California, Mo., but in a few years came to this place where he has since made his home. He had twelve children, only two of whom are living, Mrs. Fishback and Mrs. J. H. Dunlap. In early manhood he united with the Methodist church and in all the vicissitudes of a long life he retained his church relationship and his upright Christian character. He was in his pew for the last time three weeks ago last Sunday. During his last illness he frequently expressed his readiness to go home as soon as the master was ready to call him and, in his delirium, frequently announced the words Lord and Heaven. The portals of the glorious home beyond were open and the spirit was yearning to enter the joys of the Lord. He died as peacefully as if simply in natural slumber. The funeral services were conducted by his pastor, W. F. Burke, last Sunday afternoon and the remains were followed to the grave by a large concourse of relations and sympathizing friends.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, August 22, 1888, [p. 1]
New Market
Mr. and Mrs. Mulkins buried their infant son last week in the Memory cemetery. The river was so high they could not bury him on the other side, where they already have two children buried.

[NEIL, GEORGE M., - 1888]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, February 29, 1888, p. 8
DIED. – Mr. George M. Neil, living five miles southeast of town, who was taken sick Feb. 2, died last Wednesday the 22d. He was born in Mahoning county, Ohio, Feb. 23, 1836. But came to Iowa a number of years ago and was married in Clarinda, April 27, 1869. He was a good neighbor, honorable citizen and faithful member of the Christian church. The funeral service, conducted by the Christian minister of Clarinda, was on Mr. M. Neil's birthday, and had he lived one day more he would have been 53 years old. He leaves a wife and two daughters to mourn his death.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, May 23, 1888, p. 8
Obituary – Died, Mrs. Elizabeth Orme, at her home in Valley township, Wednesday, May 16, 1888. Miss Elizabeth Dunn was born December 13, 1812, in Belmont county, Ohio and was converted and united with the M. E. church when fifteen years of age. Was married to Wm. Orme November 19, 1833. A few years after they moved to Knox county, Ohio. In the fall of 1854 they moved with their family to Oskaloosa, Iowa. In the fall of 1856 they moved to Page county, Iowa, settling in Valley township, where she lived until her decease, her husband having died several years previous. She was loved and respected by all who knew her, living a quiet Christian life and having a firm trust in God until the last moment. She leaves three sons and one daughter, grandchildren and a large circle of relatives and friends to mourn her loss, but their loss is her eternal gain.   M. A. O., Hawleyville, Iowa

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, August 8, 1888, p. 8
Obituary – In memory of Bro. B. [oy] A. [lbert] Peterson [Petersen], who departed this life Friday morning in the 55th year of his life. He was born on the Island of Sylt, in Germany, December 11, 1833; he was confirmed a member of the Lutheran church of which he was a member to his death. In 1853 he went to sea as a common sailor; in 1859, he was promoted to the position of First Mate, which he held until he retired from sea-faring life—in which he served 17 years, during which time he circumnavigated the globe three times. June 1869 he was married to Ellen Peterson, who, as his faithful and devoted wife, is left to mourn his loss; in 1870 he came to Clarinda, where he has lived as an upright and useful citizen for 18 years. In 1874 he became a member of the independent order of Odd Fellows, to which he was true and devoted, punctual and faithful to the end; his heart was in the work; the beautiful principles of the order he loved with his whole heart and exemplified in his life; he filled positions of honor and responsibility with admired integrity. All day Thursday, apparently well, but almost a constant sufferer for two years, he was active during the long day; he retired at night as usual; about one o'clock he arose and again laid down and soon afterward fell asleep in in Jesus' blessed sleep, from which no mortal ever wakens to weep. The weary and worn out body of dust returned to the mother earth; but the immortal spirit to God, who gave it. By the request of the family, Rev. B. F. Snook preached the funeral sermon last Sunday in the Universalist church.
A large audience of sympathizing friends were present to bear testimony to their appreciation of the good character of the deceased. Clarinda Lodge of I. O. O. F. attended in uniform and conducted the exercises at the grave, according to the ritual of the order, which was very impressive and indicated the deep sympathy of the fraternity for their departed brother and his bereaved family.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, August 8, 1888, p. 8
Gone Home. – To the many friends of Mrs. W. [illiam] W. Russell comes the sad intelligence of the death of her mother, Mrs. Phelps, which occurred on June 20, at the home of her son in Canon City, Colorado. She had reached the advanced aged of nearly eighty-nine years and like a shock of corn fully ripe was gathered home. Her illness was brief, of only a week's duration. She had spent a year in Santa Monica, California, with her oldest daughter, and was on her way to her home in Illinois, "to lie down to rest (as she expressed it) beside her husband." But the angel of death met her on the way; the sandals were loosed, and the tired feet rested a little sooner than she had planned. Many friends in Clarinda will remember the genial pleasant old lady who from time to time visited her daughter here and who was one of a group of elderly ladies, of whom but few remain. Her sojourn in "Beulah Land" was indeed pleasant and when at last the summons came, she was ready to lay down life's cares and enter upon the Heavenly rest; but the memory of her virtues will yet remain as a blessed inheritance to her children and friends, who must tarry till their appointed time. "A good life does not end with death."

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, August 15, 1888, p. 8
Obituary. – Mrs. Caroline Pike, wife of Edward Pike, died at their home near Morsman, July 24, 1888. Deceased was born in Ohio, November 23, 1832. When two years old her parents moved to Illinois, where she lived until she came to Page county twenty years ago. She was a faithful and devoted wife and mother, and her greatest care was to provide for the comfort of her family. Was also a good neighbor, especially in sickness, when she was always ready to lend a helping hand. She leaves a husband, five daughters and three sons to mourn her loss.

Greenleaf Herald (Greenleaf, Kansas), Friday, September 7, 1888, [p. 1]
--DIED: -- September 6, 1888, at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Snyder, two miles northeast of Greenleaf, Mrs. Anna Piper, of Clarinda, Iowa; aged 74 years. Mrs. Piper came to Kansas about three months ago to visit her children and grandchildren, where she was stricken down with typhoid fever and died on Thursday morning. The body was embalmed and taken to Iowa for interment.

Barnes Enterprise (Barnes, Kansas), Friday, September 7, 1888, p. 3
Died: In Greenleaf, Kan., Sept. 5th, 1888, Mrs. Anna Piper of Page county, Iowa, of typhoid fever. Aged 75 years. Her remains were taken to her old home in Iowa for burial.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, September 12, 1888, p. 8
The remains of Grandma Piper were brought from Greenfield [Greenleaf], Kansas, last Friday, and taken to the home of her son-in-law, Robert Cree, six miles north of town. Funeral services were held Saturday and the body was buried in the Cagley cemetery.

Washington Weekly Post (Washington, Kansas), Wednesday, September 12, 1888, p. 4
--Mrs. Anna Piper, of Greenleaf, died last Friday morning, aged seventy-four years. She was mother of Mrs. Snyder, of Greenleaf, and Levi Piper, of Barnes. Her remains were taken to her old home at Clarinda, Iowa, where the funeral was held last Sunday.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, August 15, 1888, p. 8
Died. – August 6, 1888, Mary, wife of Rev. J. [eremiah] Pomeroy, of East River township, aged 75 years and 8 days. Deceased was formerly of Illinois; joined the Baptist church when 14 years, since which time she has been united with the Church of God and later the M. E. church at Shambaugh. She lived as she died, in the faith she has gone to enjoy.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, February 15, 1888, p. 5
College Springs
DIED. – At his residence near College Springs, of lung fever, Mr. George Pressley. We reported last week of him being sick but nothing serious was looked for until a few hours before he died. Mr. Pressley came here only a few years ago, but by his Christian walk and life has made many friends both in his own and sister's church. Notwithstanding the disagreeableness of the day a large number assembled at the U. P. church to pay their last token of respect to the deceased. The funeral services were conducted by Revs. Johnson, Forsythe and Avery. The family of the deceased have the sympathy of the community.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, March 28, 1888, p. 8
Obituary – Wm. V. Radford died at his home in east Clarinda, at one o'clock a. m., on March 22d, of Bright's disease of the kidneys. Aged 44 years, one month and eight days.
The subject of this sketch was born February 14th, 1844, in Meigs county, Ohio, where he resided with his parents until his marriage to Miss N. A. Crooks, of the same county and state, in 1868. A few years after they were united in marriage, they determined to try their fortunes in the west. They first located at Red Oak, Iowa, where they remained for six years. During that time he was engaged in the business of selling meat, which business he conducted with success. He then removed to Clarinda during the year of 1878. A part of the time during his residence here he was engaged in the meat business but for the last three years he has been engaged in the implement business with Mr. John Cox, in this city. He was also elected one of the constables of Nodaway township and was a good and efficient officer. He was a quiet and peaceable citizen and one who attended strictly to his own business affairs and for that reason was not as well-known as many in our community. He had but a few confidential friends, but he was admired by all who knew him well for his integrity and manly traits of character.
Two years ago he connected himself with the M. E. church of this place, through his devoted companion, who has been for years a respectful and useful member of that society. While he was not an open advocate of the religion that he professed, yet he was a firm believer in the fact that his Redeemer liveth. During his lingering illness which continued for months, he often expressed a desire that the change might soon come and to those who watched by his bedside he gave every evidence of having made his peace with his God and died in the hope of a glorious immortality.
His mother and sister, who responded to a telegram, were with him during his last hours and watched his spirit take its flight to realms above.
His funeral was held at the M. E. church on the 23d and was conducted by the pastor, Rev. W. F. Burke.
Thus has passed away a respected citizen, a kind neighbor and a loving husband. He leaves a lonely widow who has many sympathizing friends in this sad bereavement.   A Friend

[RIBBLE, GEORGE, 1796-1888]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, February 29, 1888, p. 8
George Ribble died at his home in Clarinda at 1:30 a. m. Monday, February 27, at the advanced age of 91 years, 9 months and 17 days.
Mr. Ribble was born on the Alleghany mountains in Montgomery county, Virginia, on the 10th day of May 1795, where on the 19th day of March 1819, he was married to Miss Sarah Surfice, and continued to reside there until the year 1830 when he moved with his family and settled in Delaware County, Indiana. Most of his time in [words unreadable] was spent in agricultural pursuits. He was a great lover of his [words unreadable] and during his 32 years residence here never appeared in court as a litigant nor brought suit to enforce collection, except in a single case of necessity to save a total loss. He was a member of the Board of Trustees for the erection of the first Presbyterian church in Clarinda. Always very active and efficient in early days in the establishment of schools and educational institutions, his many years on earth were full of good works and though the last few years of his life his frame was weak and tottering, his mental faculties and social qualities remained unimpaired, his generosity, and ever genial spirit remained intact to the last moment. But now his race is run and, on the morning named above, he sank quietly and peacefully to rest, entirely resigned, expressing himself as prepared and willing to go; he passed over the river without a shudder.
His wife, Mrs. Ribble, died on the 25th day of May, 1879, aged 82 years, 9 months and 6 days, and there are now left surviving seven daughters, viz,. Emeline, widow of Samuel Weidner, deceased; Margaret, wife of Isaac VanArsdol; Eliza Hutchings, a widow now living in Shenandoah; Harriett, wife of Wm. Ribble, of Indiana; Arbelia, wife of Rev. Farlow, of Chariton; Nancy, wife of J. [ames] R. [oss] Hinchman of Montana; and Mary, wife of G. [ilbert] C. Lyons and two sons, Henry, of Albuquerque, New Mexico and David of Clarinda. Another daughter, Sarah Stouder, died in Clarinda in 1861. Three sons, Thomas, William and George, died in infancy in Indiana. There are also left surviving 56 grandchildren and 51 great grandchildren.
Mr. and Mrs. Ribble united with the Methodist Episcopal church in Indiana and were active Christian workers. When they came to Clarinda, they brought their church letters, but did not present them because of Mrs. Ribble's inability to attend church, yet they were earnest Christians in fact, Mr. Ribble's bountiful hand being ever open to the cause. And as we today with mournful tread and reverent touch lay to rest all that is mortal of Father Ribble the memory of his kind words and deeds of charity will be recalled by many grateful hearts who have shared his bounty; and all who knew him feel that a good man has gone to his reward, and to whom the Master will say, well done.   Clarinda, Iowa, February 28th, 1888

[RIBBLE, GUS, - 1888]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, September 5, 1888, [p. 1]
At Rest. – Last Saturday afternoon occurred the funeral of Gus. Ribble, who died at Hyde, Colorado, the Wednesday morning preceeding. He went west about two years ago and was working at his trade—printer—at the time he was taken with his last sickness. His father received a letter Wednesday morning from him stating he was very sick with mountain fever and that he would like to have his mother come and take care of him. Hardly having read this when a telegram came stating that he was dead. His remains were immediately embalmed and arrived Saturday morning. Rev. Thos. Wallace preached the funeral sermon and Misses Anna Tomlinson, Lizzie Lymer, Laura Pierson, Thos. Tomlinson and Warren Hulbert rendered some very appropriate music. The pall bearers were his fellow printers, Will Phelps, Carroll Clark, A. P. Skeed, Harry Fulton, M. C. Kelter and Frank Miller. The attendance at the services were very large and the remains were followed to their last resting place by the relatives and a large concourse of sympathizing friends. Gus was about 24 years old, large hearted and everybody who became acquainted with him always remained a friend. Peace to his ashes.

Page County Democrat (Clarinda, Iowa), Thursday, May 29, 1879, p. 3
Ribble. – On Sabbath, May 25th, 1879, at her residence in this city, Mrs. Sarah Ribble, aged 82 years, nine months and six days.
Mrs. Ribble was born in Augusta County, Va. She was married to Mr. George Ribble, who still survives her. It is given to few to walk hand in hand in married life in this world for over sixty years, but they completed their sixty years of married life on the 19th of March last. She removed with her husband to Delaware County, Indiana, in 1830, and to this place, then a comparative wilderness, in 1855. She was the mother of thirteen children, nine of whom survive her, who, together with her husband, advanced in age but vigorous in mind and body, mourn her departure. She was raised under the hallowed influences of a Christian home and early became an earnest Christian. She was retiring, unassuming and truthful; full of gentleness and good works; beloved by a large circle of relatives and friends, and highly honored by the community where she has so long lived. The funeral services were from the M. E. church, conducted by the pastor, Rev. P. F. Bresee, and attended by a large number of our citizens. She died full of years, respected and loved, with a hope full of immortality.
"Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord."

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, August 29, 1888, p. 5
The little child of Mr. and Mrs. Sam Shaw's died of Cholera infantum one day last week. The parents have the sympathy of the community in their bereavement.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, January 4, 1888, p. 4
The funeral of Mrs. John Shear[er] took place at the residence of her father, D. [avid] Gifford, three miles north of here, on Saturday of last week, the services being conducted by Rev. Carter. The deceased leaves a husband and two children, the youngest being an infant, besides a host of friends to mourn her departure.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, February 22, 1888, p. 4
The death of Grandpa Spunaugle, father of William, occurred on the 9th inst. His remains were laid peacefully to rest in the Baker cemetery, northwest of Yorktown.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, March 7, 1888, [p. 1]
The death of Mrs. Eli Stake occurred at her residence north of town March 2. The funeral services took place on the following Sabbath, conducted by Rev. Carter, and her body laid to rest in the Summit cemetery.   Y. T.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, Mar 7, 1888, p. 7
Mrs Sarilla A. Stake died at the family residence, near Yorktown, March 2, 1888.
She was born in Franklin county, Pennsylvania, and at the age of 19 was married to Eli Stake. They came to Iowa in 1874. She was the mother of ten children, eight of whom, with her husband, still survive and mourn her loss. 
She was a devoted wife and loving mother, and for twelve years was an earnest member of the Methodist church. Her death was crowned with the Christian's assurance of the Christian's faith. Through a long and painful illness, she was patient and resigned, frequently talking of her approaching death with perfect calmness. Her dying testimony is an unspeakable comfort to her bereaved family, and a legacy of inestimable value to the church. M. A. Carter, Yorktown, Iowa, March 6, 1888. 
[Note: Her first name is spelled Savilla on her headstone.]

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, September 12, 1888, p. 6
Robert Stevenson received word last Friday that his oldest son, Marsh, had been accidently killed at Pitkin, Col. The body will be brought home for interment.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, September 12, 1888, p. 8
Died At His Post
Marshall F. Stevenson was found dead in the Sacramento mine last Saturday evening about a quarter to five o'clock, by his fellow workmen, Peter Hogue and Riley Franklin. He was last seen alive about 11 o'clock in the forenoon. His not appearing at dinner was not thought so much of, as he frequently did not come in until all the rest were gone back to work. Mr. Stevenson's work was running out the ore and waste and as time passed and nothing was seen or heard of him a search was made but no trace could be found. At last, thoroughly alarmed, they decided he must be in a certain mill hole that connects the winze level with the lower main level, used to pass dirt down to the cars. The work of opening the gate and running out several cars of ore took but a short time, and the first intimation the searchers had of the presence of their friend was the protrusion of a hand through the ore—cold in death. Mr. Hogue came immediately to town and a half score of volunteers, including Dr. Liggett and Wm. M. Fulton and John F. Pearson, the latter the leaser of the Sacramento, went to the mine and returned with the body about 11 o'clock at night.
A coroner's inquest was held on Sunday, before Judge Wilcox, who returned the following verdict:
At an inquisition held in Pitkin on the second day of September, A. D. '88, before F. C. Wilcox, a justice of the peace and acting coroner in and for Gunnison county, State of Colorado, over the dead body of Marshal F. Stevenson, we, Geo. W. Eastman, Joseph H. Collins, O. C. Davis, H. G. Sanders, G. A. Dewey, J. A. J. Henderson, comprising the jury in the aforesaid coroner's inquest, find that Marshal F. Stevenson came to his death by falling into the mill hole from winze level to the lower level of the Sacramento mine, from some cause unknown to the jury. We further find that no blame can attach to the management of said mine, the workings of the same being exceptionally safe.
Telegrams were sent to the father of the deceased, at Clarinda, Iowa, and to his three brothers at Denver. In answer to the latter message, one of the brothers arrived in Pitkin Monday, and departed on the evening train with the remains which were taken to Clarinda for interment.
Marsh Stevenson, as he was familiarly called, was 33 years of age. He came to Pitkin a year or so ago from Clarinda, Iowa, where his father, Robert Stevenson, is a well-to-do farmer. Mr. John F. Pearson, one of the owners and leasers of the Sacramento mine, came from the same place, and has long known the family, and has been the friend and companion as well as employer of the deceased during his residence here. Simple services were held after the coffin was closed, attended by all the ladies and the men in camp. Rev. Mr. Collier offered a prayer and Mr. Pierson testified to the good and noble qualities of the deceased and spoke feelingly of the sorrow in the home in Iowa, of the now aged mother and father, the brothers and a sister, who were so distant at the hour of the death of one of their number, who died among strangers, but still among friends. Several pretty floral offerings by the ladies of the camp were enclosed in the shipping case and willing hands to do the last offices were plentiful, for Marsh Stevenson had not an enemy in the world. Personally, he was of a quiet and even retiring disposition, kindly, honest, and jovial with intimate friends. He came of a tall race and himself measured six feet and five inches. How he came to his death, alone in the darkness of a deep mine, the coroner's jury tell all that is now or ever will be known, but he, like the victim of a battlefield, died at the post of duty. –Gunnison county (Col.), Pitkin Miner

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, August 8, 1888, [p. 1]
Henry Arthur, son of James and Bell Stoops, died July 31, 1888, aged 7 months and 5 days, cholera infantum being the cause.
Little Henry has left us,
     To this cold world he bid adieu;
His days on earth were passed most
But, oh Father, they were so few.

He is now among the angels,
     Far above in heaven's bright throne;
Resting sweetly, in Jesus' bosom,
     Ne'er more to cheer our home.

His little feet will never weary,
     Treading this rough road of sin;
For he is basking in the sunlight,
     Where darkness ne'er has been.

Oh how we miss our darling baby,
    Whose smiles were most serene;
And no more we'll see his sparking
Which so much love shone in.
                                            --His mother

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, April 4, 1888, p. 4
The remains of Miss Maggie Stuart, daughter of J. [ohn] T. Stuart, of this city, were brought in Monday morning on the Wabash train. Miss Stuart was one of our most estimable young ladies. She was attending the college of music at Cincinnati, O., when taken sick, but died at the residence of her sister in Lancaster, Ky.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, Mar 7, 1888, p. 7
DIED, Sunday, Feb. 12, of consumption, in Canby, Oregon, S. [quire] W. [illiam] Tice.
Mr. Tice was born March 31, 1850. He was born and raised in Page county and is well known. The 27th day of last September left Hepburn and went to Portland, Oregon, where a brother resides, thinking the climate would agree with and be a benefit to his health; but not so, that dreadful disease had too firm a hold on him. He remained in Portland four months and finding his health gradually failing him there he went to Canby, where he has an aunt; when there, he was taken down sick, only living five weeks. His brother was almost his constant nurse. He was a constant sufferer from childhood, his disease being contracted by the measles settling on his lungs when a little boy. On the 1st day of July 1877, he was married to Sara E. Moor[e], who died two years ago. He leaves 3 children, 5 sisters, 2 brothers, his mother, and a host of friends to mourn his loss; he was always kind and charitable, always ready to help the needy; he made no religious profession, but he cherished in his heart a respect for Christian work. A large number of relatives and friends followed the remains to its last resting place in the Canby cemetery, near Mt. Hood.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Tuesday, February 7, 1899, p. 4
Mrs. Ann Truscott, mother of Mrs. Chas. Feltch, who moved to this city from near College Springs last Wednesday, died at her daughter's home in northwest Clarinda at nine o'clock on Sunday evening, from an attack of la grippe. Deceased was aged 92 years and was too much enfeebled to withstand an attack of the dread malady. The body was taken this morning to College Springs, where Rev. Miller of the M. E. church conducted the funeral services at eleven o'clock.
Mrs. Truscott was one of the pioneers of Iowa. She was born in Cornwall, England and came to America and Iowa fifty years ago, with her husband and two children. They lived in eastern Iowa for some years and then came to Page county. Mrs. Truscott has made her home with her daughter, Mrs. Feltch for eighteen years. Her husband preceded her to the better land eight years ago. All of her life she strived to live a consistent Christian life and she has always been a faithful member of the Methodist church. Besides Mrs. Feltch she has four daughters and one son living, as follows: Mrs. Woodmansee, of this city, Mrs. Charlotte Trump of Burlington, Mrs. Jennie Nesmith of Wilson, Kans., Mrs. Amanda Parker of Pierce City, Mo., and Arthur Truscott of Montana. There are also two sons and one daughter dead. Mrs. Truscott has probably more grandchildren living than almost any other person in the state. Besides her relatives she has a large circle of friends and acquaintances in and around College Springs, who sincerely mourn her loss.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, February 10, 1899, p. 8
College Springs
The remains of Grandma Truscott, whose memoriam appeared in Tuesday's Herald, were brought here for interment Tuesday. The funeral sermon was preached by Rev. Miller in the M. E. church at 11 o'clock. Mrs. Truscott's home has been with Mrs. Feltch, near the Springs, for about twenty years, and it was only recently that they moved to Clarinda from their farm east of town. Just prior to moving Mrs. Truscott remarked to a friend that she regretted that it was not to College Springs that they were going to move, saying that she always had a warm spot in her heart for this place. She had a host of friends and relatives in this community.

Clarinda Journal (Clarinda, Iowa), Friday, February 10, 1899, p. 6
Mrs. Ann Truscott died of la grippe in this city, Sunday evening, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Charles Feltch. The deceased had attained the advanced age of 93 years. She was a native of Cornwall, England, and has lived in Iowa for about one half a century--first in the eastern part of the state and then in Page county. With her daughter's family she moved only last week from Amity township to this city. Her husband died eight years ago. Four sons and a daughter survive her. She was a good Christian lady, a worthy, faithful member of the Methodist Episcopal church. The remains were conveyed to College Springs, Tuesday, where the funeral services were had, and the burial took place. John Jones of this city was in charge of the funeral arrangements.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, May 2, 1888, p. 1]
Obituary – Rev. John S. Truscott was born in England, April 9th, 1804. He came to the United States in 1841, and settled in Iowa in 1842, where he spent the remainder of his life. He died in great peace at his home in College Springs, Iowa, April 5th, 1888. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. C. W. Posten, pastor of the M. E. church, assisted by Dr. Johnson of the U. P. church, Rev. Avery of the Congregational church and Revs. Hemmingway and Harrington of the Wesleyan church.
Father Truscott was recognized as an earnest, devoted Christian man. He was converted when about twenty on years of age and joined the Wesleyan Methodist church of England, then the M. E. church after coming to America. He was licensed as a local preacher soon after being converted, in which capacity he did much service both in England and America. He was faithful in the use of the means of grace. His bible he loved and studied. He was in his place in the public service and prayer meeting when able to be there.
In no place was his influence more greatly felt than among those of his own house, as the Christian lives of children and grandchildren indicate.   Pastor of the M. E. Church

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, June 20, 1888, p. 8
DIED. – Yesterday morning James, son of James Walton, living south of town died. The deceased was about nineteen years of age and was noted among his acquaintances as a steady young man. We understand that the trouble was conjection of the bowels, induced by a severe cold contracted about two weeks ago. The funeral services this morning at ten o'clock were conducted by Rev. Smith and was very largely attended by sympathizing friends.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, February 15, 1888, p. 8
DIED. – Mrs. Elmira Weidner, wife of John H. Weidner, last Friday morning, Feb. 11, 1888 at her home a few miles west of this city, after a long and painful sickness in the forty-sixth year of her age. Miss Elmira Roberts was born in Randolph county, Indiana, and resided there with her parents until 1863 when she was married to J. [ohn] H. Weidner and removed to Page county where they have lived and made their home ever since. Mrs. Weidner was a kind-hearted woman, a devoted wife and affectionate mother, and her death leaves an aching void in the hearts of all who knew her. For several years she has been a consistent member of the M. E. church. Had she lived [to] the 6th inst. her 25th year of wedded life would have rolled around but death claimed her for his own and on the eve of this anniversary she bade good bye to her husband and six children. However bitter it may seem to them now, it must certainly be a solace to reflect that this sad affliction has but severed a strand of that cord which binds them to earth and added another bright link to that invisible chain which draws them toward heaven. The funeral services were held at 11 o'clock Saturday, conducted by Rev. F. W. Burke and her remains laid away in the Clarinda cemetery.

Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, February 22, 1888, p. 4
The remains of Emory Wells were brought here from Clarinda yesterday to be interred in the cemetery here. The bereaved family have the sincere sympathy of the entire community.
[Note: The first name is spelled Emery on his headstone.]

[WHITTAKER, ROBERT, 1820-1888]
Clarinda Herald (Clarinda, Iowa), Wednesday, March 14, 1888, p. 8
DIED. – On Saturday, March 3, 1888, at his residence in Colfax township, Page county, Robert Whittaker, in his sixty-seventh year, from an attack of paralysis.
The subject of this article was born in Virginia and at an early age was taken to Alleghany county, Pennsylvania. While he was yet an infant, Mr. Whittaker's father died, and he had but a faint remembrance of his mother. He was thus to a certain extent alone in the world, the only relations he knew of being a brother whom he saw but twice and his grandfather who lived to the remarkable age of 104 years. After arriving at the age of twenty-one, Mr. Whittaker went to Marion county, Ohio, where he was married to Miss Susan Wilks in 1842. The restless spirit of developing a new country would not permit him to remain there long and in 1853 he went to Illinois, first to Mercer county and then to Rock Island county, from where he finally moved to Page county in 1868 and where he has remained until his death. Like a large number of pioneers, his early life was filled with a struggle for existence and his opportunities for obtaining an education were very scant. However, although not possessing a good education himself, he was ever desirous of offering an opportunity for his children to rise and helped them as far as he was able.
The funeral occurred Tuesday at 11:30 and was very largely attended, Rev. Henry Avery of College Springs preaching the sermon in the M. E. church here.
Mr. Whittaker leaves a wife, eight sons and a daughter—D. [avid] P. [orter] and F. [reedom] H. Whittaker, who live in Ringgold county, Iowa; George, of David City, Neb.; Joseph and DeForrest of Colfax county, Neb.; and Frank, Loe, Margaret (Mrs. W. A. Booton) and Will live here. –Blanchard Sentinel