Page County, Iowa History 1880 Biographicals

(transcribed by Pat O'Dell: genpat@netins.net)

 

back to Page County, Iowa

 

 

[page 750] Round, J.J., city marshal, P.O. Clarinda; born December 19, 1833, in Dearborn county, Indiana. In 1842 his parents moved to Illinois, locating in Knox county; there he grew to manhood, passing a portion of his time on a farm. When ten years of age he was apprenticed to a Mr Roundtree, whose narrow-mindedness deprived young Round from even a common school education--all he possesses having been obtained through his own unaided efforts. In 1855 and 1856 he clerked in the dry goods house of C.W. Yound, West Jersey, Stark county, Illinois. In 1859, he came to Clarinda, thus making him one of the oldest settlers. Was elected constable, which office he held for ten years; was deputy sheriff under sheriff Hatton for four years, and also four years under Captain Burns; was elected sheriff in the fall of 1869, and served for two years. In 1871 he opened a dry goods and grocery store, which occupied his attention until 1874. In 1876 he was again elected constable, and in March of 1879, was elected city marshal, which office he now holds. Mr Round was married to Miss Columbia A. Riggen, a native of Stark county, Illinois, October 2, 1856, by whom he has nine children: C.W., Parley F., Julius C., Willie W., Guy U., Frank F., Estella and Hulda, living, and one deceased.
 

[page 751] Simonton, Jacob, billiard hall keeper, P.O. Clarinda; born July 19, 1810, in Preble county, Ohio. When thirteen years of age was apprenticed to a carpenter, learning the trade and following it for nine years. He then learned the gunsmith's trade, working at it for nearly ten years. In 1835 he went to Wabash county, Indiana, working at the gunsmith trade for some years. He next engaged in the mercantile business at Liberty Mills, continuing the business for twelve years. In the spring of 1856 he came to Iowa, locating at Clarinda, and engaging in farming. In 1857 he became deputy sheriff of the county, and in the following year was elected county judge and ex-officio judge of probate. This office he held for two years, or until the repeal of the law creating it. In 1861 he received the appointment of drainage commissioner for the county, and was elected justice of the peace, holding the latter office without intermission for six years. From 1865 to 1873 he engaged in various branches of business, clothing, drug, and farming. He bought his present business in that year. He is a man acquainted with many of the ups and downs of life, and has experienced all that the name "pioneer" can convey to the mind of the people of to-day. One of the oldest settlers of the county, and has always taken a lively interest in its public affairs. He married Miss Leah Calhoon, October 29, 1829, who died in 1851, leaving a family of nine children: Martha (wife of Jacob Butler), Susannah (wife of C.T. Haskins), Jane (wife of S.P. Ward), Allen C., Olive (wife of H.M. Moore), and Alice (wife of H.D. Townsend), and two deceased. He was married again in 1851 to Miss Margaret Brown, a native of Maryland. By this union they have thirteen children: Richard, Annie, [page 752] Phoebe C. (wife of R.E. Callicott), Henry, Sarah, Ellenore, John F., Charles E., Eva R. and Maggie L., living, and three deceased. Judge Simonton organized the lodge of A.F. & A.M., and was the master for the first eight years: Was also a charter member of the lodge of I.O.O.F.

 

[page 753] Scranton, I.W., merchant, P.O. Clarinda; born March 23, 1838, in Portage county, Ohio. His education was obtained in the common schools. Came to Iowa in 1859 and located in Johnson county, where he followed the occupation of a farmer. He enlisted February 17, 1862, in company F, 16th Iowa, serving until August 28, 1862, when he was discharged by reason of disability through a gun-shot wound received at the battle of Shiloh, April 6, 1862. In 1864 he went into the mercantile business at West Liberty, Iowa, remaining about fourteen years. He then came to Clarinda, engaging in his present business. He was married December 29, 1861, to Miss Hannah J. Dwire, a native of Pennsylvania, by whom he has seven children, six of whom are now living: Allie, Edward, Mark, Arthur, Harry and Lizzie.

 

[page 754] Van Sandt, N.L., M.D., P.O. Clarinda; born in Brown county, Ohio, on the 7th of May, 1825. The summers of Dr Van Sandt's early life were passed in manual labor on his father's farm, thus precluding him from those opportunities of study granted to other lads. His winters were, for the greater part, passed in the district school, until he was eighteen [page 755] years of age. He then attended an academy, about ten miles away. From the academy he went to Woodward college, Cincinnati, again returning after awhile to College Hill, where he had previously been. He finally finished his education at the hands of a private tutor. At this time he began to read medicine with a Dr Avery, of Reading, Ohio. He then entered upon a course of lectures at the Eclectic medical institute, Cincinnati, graduating in 1850. In the year of his graduation he married Miss Eliza Heald, of Miami county, Ohio, locating in Troy, Ohio, and enjoying a successful practice of eight years. From Troy he came to Iowa, and to Clarinda, where he has since continuously resided. Dr Van Sandt has been actively engaged in politics ever since he came to Iowa, and was enthusiastic in his support of Lincoln's administration. In 1863 he was elected a member of the tenth assembly, and was again elected to fill the unexpired term of Hon. Charles Linderman. Nor has he been less energetic in matters pertaining strictly to his profession, being a most successful practitioner in his school of medicine. His enterprise was not satisfied with his medical attainments and successes, but has proven itself of no ordinary character in the purchase and management of a model farm. On this the Doctor has succeeded in attaining the most flattering results in the growing of small fruits, and was the first man to demonstrate to the farmers of Page that fall wheat could be successfully grown in the county. He is now engaged in fish culture, having an excellent pond of fresh water, supplied by perennial springs. He is awaiting the arrival of carp from Europe with which to stock the pond. Dr Van Sandt is now United States pension agent, a position he has held since 1863 to the present time, with the exception of two years. In religious views he is a Presbyterian. A man marked by force of will and character, of an integrity worthy of all imitation.

 

[page 756] Wolf, J.H., of the firm of Wolf & Orth, grocers, P.O. Clarinda; born [page 757] on May 15, 1843, in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania. His early life was passed and education received in his native county, and the State Normal School, Millersburg, Pennsylvania. On graduation from the last named training school, he entered the honored calling of the teacher, following the same for eleven years. He then came to Keithsburg,Illinois, in 1869, following the same avocation. In 1877 he came to Iowa and located at Clarinda, entering the grocery business in connection with J.A. Snodgrass. Mr S. closed out his share of the business in 1879, to Mr Orth, with whom Mr Wolf has since been associated. He was married, January 13, 1878, to Miss Heaton, a native of Illinois. No children living; one deceased.

 

[page 757] Weidner, E.C., livery and feed stable, P.O. Clarinda; born August 24, 1846, in Delaware county, Indiana. There he grew to manhood on a farm, receiving his education in the common schools. He came to Iowa, with his parents, in 1863, and located in Page county, Nodaway township. In 1875 came to Clarinda and entered his present business. Mr Weidner was married December 19, 1871, to Miss Mary Leonard, a native of Ohio. They have one child, a daughter, Druzilla.

 

[page 759] Dray, A.H., blacksmith and machinist, P.O. Essex; born in England March 12, 1843. Lived there with his father until fifteen years of age, on a farm. He then began blacksmithing, which he has followed ever since. Was married October 11, 1861, to Miss Susanna Smith, of Hadlow Down, Mayfield, county Sussex, England. Born April 30, 1842. They are the parents of thirteen children, nine of whom are living: Alfred H., Susanna, James P., Harry J., Wm S., Sarah Jane, Eleanor M., and Minnie A. Richard B., George E., Ernest A. and Frank Freddie are deceased. Moved from England to Nebraska City, Nebraska, in March 1874, and to Essex in August, 1876. Mr Dray and wife are members of the Episcopal church. He owns the lot and dwelling-house where he lives; also lot and blacksmith shop.

 

[page 760] Gaylord, T.C., hotel-keeper, P.O. Essex; born in Delaware county, Ohio, February 28, 1840. Worked at milling until nineteen years of age. Enlisted in company I, Thirty-second Ohio infantry, August 28, 1861, for three years, or during the war. Was mustered out in August, 1865, at the close of the war, having passed through the battles of Maryland Hights, Baker's Creek and Vicksburg, without receiving a scratch. Was married July 13, 1865, to Miss L.I. Kirk, a native of Ohio. Came to Page county in 1872. Entered his present occupation in the spring of 1878. Was appointed constable, to fill a vacancy, and in the following fall was elected to fill the same position, which he has done until the present time.

 
[page 760] Henry Gilbert, billiard hall, P.O. Essex; born in Norway, October 18, 1849. Came to America, locating at Chicago, in 1872. In 1875 he came to Essex. He is by profession a civl engineer, and is well educated in his own language. Married Miss Mary Gitchell, September 29, 1876. They have one child: Stella M.

 

[page 761] Hooker, P.R., farmer, section 24; born in New York, June 5, 1837. He came to Page county in 1875, and was married to Miss Margaret Best, December 25, 1862. He was married the second time to Miss S.A. Cain, a native of Michigan. By his first wife he had one child, W.F., and by his second wife a daughter, Ida. He owns 176 acres, and has the same in most excellent condition.

 

[page 762] Jones, G.R., farmer, section 3, P.O. Essex; born in Steuben county, New York, in 1835, where he lived ten years. He moved to Indiana in 1845, and to Minnesota in 1861; he came to Iowa in 1864. He is the owner of 190 acres of fine improved land. In 1868 he was united in marriage to Miss C.J. Woten, of Indiana. They have had five children, two now dead. The names of those living are: Cora, Leroy, and Mary. His father, L.J. Jones, came to Franklin grove, Iowa, in 1866, where he was postmaster for some years, and where he now lives honored and respected by all.

 

[page 762] Kiester, H.C., P.O. Essex, hotel and livery business; born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, October 5, 1848. He lived with his father on a farm until twenty years of age. Enlisted in company I, eighty-eighth Pennsylvania volunteers, in March, 1865, and served about three and a half months, and was mustered out in July, 1865. He was married De[page 763]cember 3, 1868, to Miss Mary J. Hoy, of Westmoreland county, born September 7, 1847. They lived in that county on a farm about eight years; moved to Essex in the fall of 1876. His principal occupation was coal dealer and drayman until February, 1880, when he went into the livery business. He followed that until June and went into a hotel. [this is what it says; sentence doesn't quite make sense]. They are the parents of five children, four of whom are living: Lucy B., (the oldest, died January 12, 1878), Anna M., Newton B., Maggie S., and Jennie M., are all living at home. Mr Kiester was elected on the town council in March, 1879, for a term of one year; was re-elected in 1880. Mr Kiester owns one-half interest in a livery stable on Main street including lot, etc., estimated at about $5,000; also two lots in the east part of Essex. He has been a member of the Presbyterian church since nineteen years of age, also a member of the I.O.O.F. since 1877.

 

[page 765] Nichols, Cornelius, druggist, P.O. Essex; born in Andover, Henry county, Illinois, April 2, 1842. Came to Page county, in 1875. Enlisted in company H, 1st Illinois light artillery, April 21, 1864. He participated in the battles of Dalton, Resaca, Dallas, Kenesaw Mountain and at Atlanta. Was taken prisoner July 22, 1864, and released April 1, 1865, having been in Andersonville and other of the southern prisons. Was mustered out June 14, 1865. Married Miss Deborah J. Bryant, a native of Illinois, February 6, 1877. They have three children: Elbert S., William L. and Elsa May, the last named deceased.

 

[page 768] Wolfe, G.N.; born in Pennsylvania in 1849. Moved with his parents to Rock Island, Illinois, when six years of age. He attended the common schools of that city, and while yet young learned the carpenter trade. When fourteen years old he enlisted in the Twelfth Illinois, and one year later participated in the battle of Goldsborough. Came to Clarinda in 1869. Spent the following two years traveling through Iowa, Missouri and Nebraska, and then returned to Pennsylvania. Moved back to Iowa in 1875. This time he engaged in farming in Nodaway township. Unfortunately this was the year of the grasshoppers, and he lost his crop. The next year he moved to Essex, where he has remained, doing a thriving business at his trade. Was married in 1876 to Miss Sadie Thomas, by whom he is the father of two children: Claude and Walter S. He reckons his ancestry as far back as the gallant Gen Wolfe, who was killed in the taking of Quebec.

 
[page 773] Tempest, William, coal miner, P.O. Tarkio; born in England, February 14, 1831. Is a self-educated man. Came to America in 1856, locating in Illinois. Came to Page county in 1877, owning at the present time 107 acres of coal-land in Marion county, Iowa. He owns a farm of 160 acres in Tarkio township, and other farm property valued at five thousand dollars.
 

[page 774] Cruse, Hiram, farmer, section 25, P.O. Villisca; was born in Licking county, Ohio, in 1820, where he was raised. He was married to Mary McVicker, of the same county, December 10, 1841, by which union they have had twelve children, all living: Catharine, John, Anna, Elizabeth, Rebecca, Hiram J., William, Douglas, Richard, Denis, Mary A. and Seymour. Two daughters, Elizabeth and Anna, are married and reside in Illinois. In 1844 Mr Cruse emigrated with his family to Fulton county, Illinois, where he purchased a farm, on which he resided eight years, then sold out and emigrated to Texas, and remained two years, and finding the climate and customs of that country less congenial to his feelings, he returned to Schuyler county, Illinois, where he re-invested in a good farm, and continued his calling until 1875, when he sold his farm and emigrated to Wapello county, Iowa, where he located for two years, then sold again and purchased his present farm in this county, on which he located in the fall of 1876, and has a well improved farm of one hundred acres, a nice young orchard and native grove about the premises.

 

[page 776] Mitchell, Mrs Lydia L., farmer, section 2, owns 100 acres of fine land, P.O. Villisca; born March 23, 1822, in Pennsylvania. Her early life was passed among the scenes and incidents common to the farmer's life. In 1838 she came with her father's family to Crawford county, Ohio. She was married on the 20th of August, 1841, to William Leasure, a native of Ohio. He died July 15, 1845, leaving her with a family of three children, one of whom is now living, Nancy A., wife of Benjamin Draper, Page county. She married Mr J.B. Mitchell, a native of Vermont, on May 2, 1847. Mr Mitchell died June 26, 1876, leaving her a family of six children: of these the following are living: Mary E. (wife of S.W. Baker), Rosetta J. (wife of Joseph Frist), John A., Susan R. and William.

 

[page 779] Wasson, Miriam E., farmer, section 16, P.O. Hepburn; born in Clinton county, Ohio, in 1830. She here matured, receiving a common school education. She came to Page county with her brother, Ezra Quimby, in December, 1853, making her home with her mother near Hawleyville, until her marriage with Peter Beaver in 1855, by whom she had six children: Charles V., Sarah J., Eliza J., and Sylvia B., and two deceased. This husband died in October, 1865. On February 1, 1869, she was married to Thomas Wasson, by whom she has three children, one of whom is living, Louis L. Mr Wasson, was born in Bourbon county, Kentucky, October 6, 1815, when he was ten years of age went with his parents to Indiana. In 1856 he went to Livingston county, Missouri. He was first married in October, 1836, by which marriage he became the father of fifteen children.

 

[page 780] Bedford, Mark G., farmer, section 30, P.O. Walkerville; born April 20, 1839, in the parish of Lincolnshire, England. Remained with his parents until twenty-one years old. Was then married to Miss Annie Franks. In the same year emigrated to the United States and located in Wisconsin, where his wife died in 1871. In 1875 he came to his present location in Washing[ton] township. In 1878 was again married to Miss Medea Shaffer. Mr Bedford has never had the benefits of an education, nevertheless is an intelligent man and respected by all who know him.

 

[page 781] Martin, Robert, farmer and stock dealer, section 9; born Sept 14, 1825, in Butler county, Pennsylvania, living with his parents until 18 years of age. Then he went into the business of lumbering and building. Was married to Miss Margaret Munn, June 4, 1849. Mrs Martin was born in November, 1832. In the year 1857 came to Lincoln township, Page county, Iowa, and there went into the stock business, and has continued in that ever since. In 1871 he moved to his present location in Washington township. Mrs Martin died August 25, 1877. Mr Martin was married to Mrs Marian Bentley April 13, 1880. Have ten children: Adelia M. (now the wife of Thomas Turnbull), Robert E., Simmonetta M., Plina A., William A., Winfield S., Ella, Myra J., Norma A. and Maggie. Mr Martin owns 405 acres of land, 400 under cultivation, giving his attention to stock-buying and shipping. He owns a good grist mill. He is a stockholder in the First Nation Bank of Shenandoah and a director of the same.