Surrounded by a grove of trees, on the northwest quarter
of section l0, in Baker township, is the residence of Enoch
Philby, who came from Madison county, Iowa, in 1870, then
a single man. He hauled lumber from Marcus, and first built
the usual shack; lived in this until Sheldon started, when
he bought lumber from H. C.Lane, and erected a substantial house.
Continuousy from 1871, Mr. Philby has
resided on this same quarter section, and now with his
family takes life easy. In 1890, Mr. Philby donated a
spot on the northwest quarter of the section for a Methodist
church, which was built that year, the spire of which is
seen far over the prairie, so that Enoch lives under the droppings of the sanctuary,
but whether he has Methodist tendencies or not we cannot say,
but we do know, if all men were as upright, as honest, and as
substantial as Enoch Philby, this world would be a paradise of peace.
Homesteaded by Enoch Philby in 1870.