Calumet Starts with Railroad
Calumet was platted November 16, 1887. The town started with the construction of the Sioux Falls branch of the Illinois Central railroad and the depot was its first building. Among the first business men were Wheelock Bros. in a general merchandise store, George Reifsteck as postmaster, and Seaman and Horstman Bros. heading the Calumet Bank.
At an election to determine the question of incorporation the vote was favorable 19 to 10, and April 17, 1895 the first town election was held. W.M. Bunce was elected the first mayor, J.W. Neild, recorder, Lewis Mead, Ernest Pape, D.C. Fields, Peter Rehder, L. Reifsteck and E.W. McComber, councilmen. Arnold Boldt is the present mayor.
From Sutherland Courier December 3, 1942
O'Brien County Iowa Genealogy - The IAGenWeb Project