|| Covey Church
February 1873 it was reported in The O'Brien Pioneer that Reverend J.H. Covey would be erecting a new church building for use by the Congregationalists in Grant Township in the coming season.
The First Congregational Church of Grant Township was the proper name given to the church erected by Rev. Covey and church members. It was dedicated in October 1874. The church was built on one-acre of land donated by John Loder, just northwest of Rev. Covey's claim.
In 1876 Rev. Covey moved to Kansas and church services were discontinued for several years. The building was still used for social occasions, until the building was deemed unusable due to grasshoppers and a tornado.
In 1909 it was reported that the Methodist minister from Hartley was conducting services at the Covey Church. In 1914 the Methodists bought the church building from the Congregationalists. In 1931 the Covey Church was turned over to the Primghar minister. The 60th Anniversary was held drawing a large crowd of former parishioners and ministers. In 1959 the Covey Church officially disbanded, only four members were left in the church, two others had transferred previously.
In 1966 the church was restored with donations of several area residents and former parishioners from across the nation. The O'Brien County Conservation Board established a park on the site.
In June of 1974 the Covey Church observed it's 100th Anniversary.
In 1992 the Grant Township Trustees took on the restoration of the Covey Church. There had been no regular services for 33 years; but numerous weddings and occasional church services have been held there. The building was raised and new footing and foundations were laid. The flooring was replaced with the original flooring and the original wainscoting was reinstalled on the walls. It will be shingled in the near future.
Contributed by Donna Youde