MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA|
Source: REGISTER OF OLD SETTLERS , BOOK One, page 73 & 73A
submitted by Ronna Thuman, November 14, 2007
BUILDINGS OLD & NEW
THE NEW BUILDINGS
That are to Adorn Second Street, With Reminiscences of
the old Ones Being Torn Down.
April 30, 1877 (hand written)
It is said that the human body renews itself every seven years, new atoms gradually taking the place of the old and effete ones, and by this method humanity keeps its fresh and beautiful appearance. The same is true of a city. As the old buildings, through the years of their existence, perform their part in this world, and time renders them useless and worthless, they must be replaced with those of modern style and architecture, if the appearance of the city is to be kept inviting and beautiful. This principle is being acted upon, in the demolition of that old row of buildings near the corner of Second street and Iowa Avenue, and the prospective substitution for them of an elegant brick block.
We were permitted yesterday to examine the plans of this new structure, and will give our readers some idea of what is to come. Messrs. Aumiller, Heppe and A. Jackson will combine their new buildings into one block, three stories high, Mr. Fryermuth’s being separate and only two stories in height. The brick block will resemble somewhat the one lately built for Messrs. Clark, Drury, Hampe and Byrne and Murphy, with possibly a little more ornamentation. Jackson and Heppe’s buildings are to be each 20 feet front and 62 feet deep, while Aumiller’s will be 30 feet front and 80 feet deep. Plate glass, iron columns, galvanized cornice and iron window caps will present a beautiful exterior to the block. Mr. Aumiller will convert the second and third stories of the building into a public hall, having a gallery at one end. Mr. I. A. Kerr, for the past three years in the employ of Cadle & Mulford, of this city, is the architect of the block, and he exhibits some fine drawings of this latest improvement.
But as the old dilapidated structures are being torn down and the rubbish carted away to its last resting place, their age and long connection with the business of our city, demand for them short obituary notices. They have survived many of the old inhabitants that formerly resided within their walls, but in the increasing march of time they, too, must take their place in that long caravan that carries them into—oblivion.
The two story brick now owned by A. Jackson, and occupied by C. W. Draper, was built by Mr. J. in 1843, for a harness shop for himself, and used for that purpose for about twelve years. In 1858 Stocker & Draper rented it for a grocery. At the termination of four years Mr. Stocker withdrew from the firm leaving Mr. Draper in sole charge, where he has continued to the present time—making for him twenty-one years of steady occupancy. The second story for a time was used as a bachelor’s hall, and the Draper Brothers, J. J. Smith and others represented the bachelors. This was the first brick building on Second street.
The frame building next adjoining now tenanted and owned by Mr. Heppe, dates its erection back to the time when Bloomington (now Muscatine,) was a mere babe—in 1838. Its builder was the somewhat celebrated Duke DeWeber, who used it as a….
*** continues on page 73a ***
boarding house couple of years. The boarders must have been hung up on the walls at night, in that little one-story frame; but ask J. P. Freeman how it was, he was one of the boarders. In 1840 Geo. Hutchison moved a shoe store into it, sharing the room with Geo. Earle and his tailor’s bench. The tailor and the shoemaker soon vacated, when this building became tenanted by some of the best professional talent of the village: Dr. Hastings rented one corner, D. C. Cloud another, Thos. Isett a third, and the fourth was the office of a justice of the peace. Think of four different professions all having this small shanty for its offices. But we suppose they all learned too much of each others business, for they all moved out, and Dr. Fulliam took possession, solitary and alone. In 1843 A. Jackson bought the building, moved his harness shop into it, and pounded his leather for three or four years. Wm. Taylor, of Marietta, Ohio, succeeded him the same business, but a panic or some other polar wave struck him soon, and he gave place to a Mr. Herwig, who remained there only a years. In 1857 Mr. Jackson sold it to Jacob Butler, and he immediately rented it to Mr. C. Heppe, who has occupied it ever since. Mr. P. Jackson bought the property of J. Butler in 1858, and sold it to Mr. Heppe in 1872.
The next building in order was erected by Robert Kinney in 1840, and occupied by him as a residence for about ten years. It was then fitted up for a store and rented by Wm. Sherwood, who put a jewelry store in, and oroide watches and chains being unknown in those days, he was allowed to stay there for four years. It was then occupied jointly by Mr. W. H. Stewart, with a shoe store, and Mr. Wm. Hess, a hat store. It was during the reign of these gentlemen that glass was first introduced into the city and put in their store windows. In 1858 Mr. Wm. Aumiller moved in with his shoe shop, and he has occupied it for most of the time since, purchasing it in the meantime.
The frame occupied now by Fryermuth’s saloon was built by Mr. Plummeer in 1845, who put a bakery into it. In 1855 Mrs. Waide, mother of S. L. Waide, tenanted it, having a millinery store in operation, and continued there three years, when the building was sold to Mr. Fryermuth, who still occupies it. While Mr. Plummer resided there, a fire occurred in the rear of Mr. Gordon’s store, a stable belonging to Reuben Warren being burnt to the ground. In the excitement Mrs. P. threw the looking-glass out of the second-story window and carried her sadirons carefully down staris—a remarkable act of self-possession that made her quite noted at the time.
Back to Book One, INDEX
Back to the Muscatine Co. IAGenWeb, Index Page