MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA|
Source: REGISTER OF OLD SETTLERS , BOOK One, page 61
submitted by Neal Carter, Sept. 2, 2007
DEATH OF J. B. DOUGHERTY, SR.
One of Our Oldest and Best Citizens
Gone to His Rest
JOURNAL July 14, 1875---Although it had been for some time generally understood that John B. Dougherty, sr., was in a critical state of health, the announcement of his death, this forenoon, which rapidly passed from mouth to mouth, took almost every one by surprise. He had seemed somewhat better for several days past. Yesterday he took dinner with his family, and even this morning was up and about the house as usual since he has been an invalid. Breakfast was prepared for him, but he declined to eat, saying he would wait till the train came in (at 9 o’clock) as he was sure “Daisy” (his sister) would come on the train, and he would eat breakfast with her. About 10 o’clock, however, while sitting in a chair, he remarked to his wife that he felt so strangely. She, noticing his changed appearance, and becoming alarmed called for assistance. He was taken to the front room, where, a cool breeze coming in from the river, he seemed to revive, but it was only temporary. Noticing that he was rapidly sinking in the embrace of death, his wife carried him to a bed, where, in a few moments, he quietly sunk to rest.
Mr. Dougherty was for over thirty years one of our most active and prominent business men. He was born at Springfield, O., on the 26th of November, 1817, and was consequently in his 58th year at the time of his death. His first venture from his native town was to Louisville, Ky., where he remained some two years, and then came to “Bloomington, Iowa.” The young pioneer landed here on the 10th of March, 1842. The village was insignificant, but promising. Purchasing the small drugstore of W. H. Hollinsworth (the first established in this place,) he went into business at once, which he continued without interruption and with unvarying success till a few months ago. Nearly all this time his store was kept at its present location, opposite Tremont Hall. Once (in 1857, we believe) the building was undermined by a flood and fell down, but it was rebuilt, better than ever.
Mr. Dougherty was closely identified with nearly all the public enterprises of our city. His cool, calm judgment was often sought in public matters and invariably had much weight. As Director and part of the time as President of the Muscatine National Bank, he exercised a controlling influence in financial circles. As member of the Board of Supervisors and City Councilman, at different times, he had much to do with the public affairs of the county and city. In all public capacities he had the confidence of the people not only in his integrity but sound judgment.
Mr. Dougherty’s malady was disease of the heart, superinduced by liver complaint. For twenty years past his health has been precarious, but he was able to attend to business most of the time except during the past six months. A few weeks ago, feeling that his end was near, he arranged his affairs, turning over his drug store to his oldest son, J. B., and disposing of his entire property by will.
As a neighbor and friend he was warm-hearted and sincere. As a husband and father he was unselfishly devoted. Two years after he landed upon our shores he was married to Miss Orpha Mathews, daughter of Hiram Mathews, one of the first settlers. She survives him and attended upon his wants till the last with a devotion and tenderness which only a loving wife knows how to bestow. Seven children have been born to them, five of whom are living. His only relative outside his own family is his sister, Mrs. Woodward, of Tippecanoe, Ohio, who has been telegraphed to attend the funeral. His oldest daughter, Mrs. Robert McClelland, and his son Robert, who are in Chicago, have also been summoned to attend the funeral.
The hour of the funeral is not yet definitely fixed, but it will probably be Friday afternoon. The funeral ceremonies will be in charge of the Masonic fraternity, deceased having been a member of Iowa Lodge No. 2 and of DeMolay Encampment.
Old Settlers’ Meeting--- At a meeting of Old Settlers of Muscatine county, called together on the death of J. B. Dougherty, this 15th day of July, 1875, D. C. Cloud, J. Bridgman, and M. Couch were made a committee on resolutions, to report to-morrow at 9 a. m., at the Mayor’s office.
J. Bridgman, J. Molis and Dr. Robertson, Sr., were appointed a committee to confer with the family and make any necessary arrangements for the Old Settlers joining in the burial.
A resolution was unanimously passed that the business houses on Second street be requested to close while the funeral is passing.
S. FOSTER, President P. JACKSON,Secretary
IN MEMORIAM --- At the adjourned meeting of Old Settlers held July 16, 1875, the committee on resolutions reported the following:
We, the Old Settlers of Muscatine, realizing the loss that has overtaken us by the death of our brother, John B. Dougherty, Sr., and desiring to express our appreciation of and esteem for him as a neighbor, friend, citizen and Christian, do
Resolve, 1st, That we remember with pleasure the many qualities of the deceased, his pure and blameless life, his devotion to the interest of our city and county, his business talents, and above all his devotion and upright walk as a Christian.
2nd, That we deeply sympathize with his bereaved family in their affliction in being deprived of the presence and society of so kind a husband and father whose loss is special to them, yet general to us all.
3rd, That the officers of this society furnish to the family of deceased a copy of these resolutions.
- D. C. CLOUD,
- JOSEPH BRIDGMAN,
- MOSES COUCH, Committee
THE FUNERAL --- The funeral of John B. Dougherty, which took place yesterday afternoon was of an unusually impressive character. The concourse of mourners at the residence, exceeded in numbers, any demonstration of the kind ever witnessed in our city. Of the out-of-door assembly, the De Molay Commandery No. 1, attracted the principal attention from its unique appearance. This commandery is the oldest in the State having organized in 1855; but this occasion, the obsequies of one of its own members, was its first parade in our city. It was commanded by Eminent Commander W. S. Robertson. Outside of the covered yard, occupying the walk were the members of Iowa and Hawkeye lodges. The Old Settlers’ Society was also conspicuous for its members.
The funeral services of the Episcopal Church, were conducted at the house, by Rev. Mr. Judd of Iowa City. In the procession to the cemetery, the Commandery was chief escort, assisted by the two lodges above named, and followed by numbers of the Old Settlers’ society. The pall-bearers were Vincent Chambers, Marx Block, J. J. Hoopes, Henry Funck, Isaac R. Mauck, and John Chambers. Col. Beach acted as Marshall of the Hawkeye Lodge and Wm. Gordon of the Iowa. The latter was also custodian of the keys which deceased had carried for twenty consecutive years as treasurer of his lodge. The procession was of the most imposing and solemn character. During the march through Second street, the business houses were closed, and the whole appearance of this commercial
thoroughfare partook of a seriousness most becoming to the occasion. It is said that the cortege was the most numerously attended by footmen and carriages of any like procession ever seen in our city. At the grave, The Hon. J. P. Ament, Master of Iowa Lodge, conducted the farewell ceremonies, which closed with the usual evergreen offerings from the brethren. The benediction was pronounced by the Rev. Mr. Judd.
Back to Book One, INDEX
Back to the Muscatine Co. IAGenWeb, Index Page