MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA|
Source: REGISTER OF OLD SETTLERS , BOOK One, page 495
submitted by Charlene Nichols Hixon, October 27, 2007
OUR CITY 28 YEARS AGO
1874 (hand written)
At our request, Col. W. W. Garner, of Columbus City, Iowa, has furnished us the original manuscript of the following:
BLOOMINGTON, (NOW MUSCATINE) IN 1846,
(PRIOR TO THE FOUNDATION OF THE STATE GOVERNMENT.)
Copied from the manuscript of J. B. Newhall, of Burlington,
--his “Notes by the Way”—by W. W. Garner, at Muscatine, Iowa.
Bloomington is one of the most important points in Iowa territory. The most convenient landing on the Mississippi river for merchandise destined for Iowa City, Moscow, Tipton and the principal portion of the counties of Cedar, Linn and Johnson. It has a population of about 1600, contains a handsome brick Court House, a jail, several churches and a Masonic lodge, many neat, tasteful residences and several spacious brick mercantile establishments.
Dealers in Dry Goods, Groceries, Handware, &c.-Bridgman & Weed, Robert McClelland,+ John G. Gordon, Lyman Holt,* Alfred M. Miller,+ Kelley, Horn & Co.,+J. Bennett & Co., Green & Stone,+ Fulton & Lemp, Edwards & Taylor,+ Charles Evans,+ and Peter Jackson.
Forwarding and Commission Merchants. -E. B. Kinson+ and A. M. Miller.+
Drugs and Medicines-E. E.* and P. Fay,+ John B. Dougherty, J. S. Fenimore.+
Physicians.-Olds* and Reeder,* Chas. O. Waters,+ Wm. H. Blaydes,* J. Koon,+ J. Budden.+
Lawyers. -Ralph P. Lowe,+ Wm. G. Woodward,* Jacob Butler,* J. Scott Richman,+ A. McAulay,+ Stephen Whicher, * S. C. Hastings,+ John L. Cummings,* John A. Stephenson.+
Carpenters.-Edward Ballard,* J. J. Hoopes, John Lacon,* H. J. Reece, * Wm. Gordon, Edward Olmstead,+ D. C. Cloud, Richard Cadle, L* & H. H. Hine, Geo.+ & John Martin.*
Cabinet Makers.-J. P. Freeman, John Freeman, Christian Kegel, J. J. Fitton.+
Blacksmiths -Fullington+ & Walmsley, * Joseph Crane, Geo. Terry, Benj. Cullen.+
Tin and Coppersmiths.-Thos. Dare,+ Moore+ & Ament.
Coopers.-Waterman+ & Beman,+ James Buker.+
Shoemakers.-A. Adams,+ X. Pfifer,* Jonathan Evey.+
Hatter. -A. M. Hare.
Tailors.-Wm. Jones,+ Tillard & Bailey,+ Sells+ & Bartholemew, A. Stewart & Co.,+ A. J. Fimple.
Painters and Glaziers.-Johns+ & Albee,+ Moses Couch, Samuel Houser.
Chair Makers.-R. I. Vance, Wm. Cooper.+
Wagon Makers.-Garvin+ & Horsley, Selby.+
Saddle and Harness Makers.-John M. Kane, A. Jackson, James Huff.+
Brick Masons.-Stephen Headley, * Daniel Mauck,* Stephen Dexter,+ John Triplet.+
Boat Builders.-Leffingwell & Daniels.*
Hotels -American, T. S. Battelle;+ Iowa House, James Borland;* City Hotel, S. M. Rowell;+ Capt. Jim’s, James Parmer.*
Coffee Houses.-Iowa Saloon, Hoit;+ Bloomington coffee house, D. E. Ball.*
Lodges.-One Masonic lodge, one Odd Fellows lodge.
Churches.-(Named in the order of prominence)-One Congregational, one Presbyterian, one Baptist, one Methodist, one Episcopal, one Catholic.
Printing Office.-Bloomington “Herald,” published every Saturday, M. T. Emerson,* editor.
Select School.-Miss Shearer,+ preceptress.
Horticultural.-James Weed, proprietor, embraces 100,000 trees with no superior.
CORPORATION OF BLOOMINGTON.
- President. -Charles Evans.+
- Trustees. -Wm. Leffingwell, A. J. Fimple, J. M. Kane.
- Recorder. -John Lilley.*
- Collector and Marshal.- W. Parvin.
- Street Engineer.- R. Warren.
- Magistrates.-T. S. Parvin,+ D. C. Cloud, Thos. Crandoll.*
- U. S. Officials residents of Bloomington. -Hon. Joseph Williams,* Judge of the 2nd Judicial District and
- Associate Judge of the Supreme Court.
- June, 1846.
EDITORIAL NOTE.—Those marked thus* are dead and those marked + have moved away. The others are still living in this city or vicinity. Those who continue to follow the same line of business as in 1846 are Joseph Bridgman, C. Weed, John G. Gordon, John Lemp, John B. Dougherty, J. J. Hopes, Wm,. Gordon, Richard Cadle, H. H. Hine, J. P. Freeman, C. Kegel, George Terry and James Weed.
Back to Book One, INDEX
Back to the Muscatine Co. IAGenWeb, Index Page