MUSCATINE COUNTY, IOWA|
Source: REGISTER OF OLD SETTLERS , BOOK One, page 469
submitted by Ronna Thuman, December 12, 2007
DEMISE OF JOHN KECKLER.
John Keckler, who has been a resident of Muscatine since 1847, and after whom the northeast portion of the city was named Kecklerville, departed this life Sunday morning at 11:30 at his home, 902 East Eighth street, he having attained the age of 86 years, 5 months and 30 days. Death was due to Brightís disease and the infirmities incident to old age.
Since 1880 deceased had led a practically retired life, a goodly portion of which time being a sufferer from a complication of ailments. Not until three weeks ago, however, did his condition become alarming to relatives and friends, when he took to his bed and had since rapidly failed.
John Keckler was born January 17, 1813, in Jackson township, Knox county, Ohio, and was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Abraham Keckler, being the eldest of a family of seven children. His father was a native of Northampton county, Pennsylvania, being one of a colony composed chiefly of Kecklers, which settled in that state on Delaware river, near the state boundary line, and who fought under old Gen. Harrison in the war of 1812. His grandfather and grandmother on his fatherís side were natives of Pennsylvania and France, respectively, the former serving in the revolutionary war under Gen. Washington. Grandpa and Grandma Earlywine, on his motherís side were natives of Virginia and Scotland, respectively, Mr. Earlywine having fought in the war under Gen. Lafayette.
On May 7, 1840, in Richland county, O., the subject of our sketch was united in marriage with Miss Rachael, Knox county, living there several years, when they removed to Richland Sells, and with his bride settled in county. After remaining there a short time, they moved to Woodbury, Knox county, where he embarked in the grocery business, but shortly afterward sold out and removed to Lucas county, near Toledo, where he operated a sawmill until 1847. Sept. 12, 1847, he and his family emigrated to Iowa and Muscatine (then Blooington), traveling the entire distance by wagon, arriving here Dec. 1 the same year. For ten years after the familyís arrival here, Mr. K. aced in the capacity of conductor of emigrants to different parts of Iowa.
During 1854-5-6 he served as township supervisor, and during his term to supervisor in 1855, the family located in north Muscatine, and it was thus that the portion of the city designated as Kecklerville derived its name. In 1856 he was elected township trustee, being re-elected in 1857-8-9. During 1857 he also acted as deputy street commissioner. He was elected alderman from the Third ward in 1868 and served for four years as a member of the city council, being re-elected for a second term in 1870. For a number of years previous to 1880 he was in the employ of Thomas Isett in Ö.(end of article cut off)Ö
NOTE: Submitted by Joy Kersteter, Sept. 21, 2019 is the continuation of this article:
... various capacities, and so which time he has led a well-earned life of retirement.
Mr. Keckler leaves to mourn his demise a wife and three children, besides nine grandchildren and five great grandchildren, the children being, George W., of this city; John, whereabouts unknown, and Mrs. Franklin Freeman of this city. Eleven children have passed to the unknown beyond, five sons and six daughters.
The funeral is appointed to take place for the residence, 903 East Eighth street, North Muscatine, this (Tuesday) afternoon, at 2 o'clock."
Back to Book One, INDEX
Back to the Muscatine Co. IAGenWeb, Index Page