MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA|
Source: REGISTER OF OLD SETTLERS , BOOK One, page 419
submitted by Jo Ann Carlson, November 10, 2007
DEATH OF MRS. ELIZABETH HERSHEY
March 25, 1895 (hand written)
Our citizens were very much pained this morning to learn of the death of Mrs. Elizabeth Hershey, relict of the late Benjamin Hershey, at her home, 1019 Hershey avenue, South Muscatine, at about 10 o’clock last evening. Very few new of the serious nature of her ailment, although her friends were aware that she was indisposed and quite weak from a neuralgic affection lasting for several weeks.
Elizabeth Witmer (the maiden name of the deceased,) was born in Lancaster county, Pa., Dec. 20th, 1810. She grew to womanhood and was married in 1836 to Benjamin Hershey in the county of her birth. There were four children-Mrs. Sara Hershey-Eddy, wife of Mr. Clarence Eddy, the distinguished organist of Chicago, Mary Amanda, (known to her friends as Minnie,) Elizabeth and Almira. Minnie died in Munich, Bavaria, Dec. 24th, 1876. Elizabeth died in maidenhood in Muscatine, Oct. 7th, 1856. Mr. and Mrs. Hershey lived in Lancaster county until 1852, when they removed to Msucatine.
Mrs. Hershey leaves, besides her two daughters, Sara and Almira, (both of whom were with her when she died,) a grand-daughter, Mrs. Henry G. Bissell and three great grand-children, Kenneth, Clifford and Malcom, aged ten, eight and five years, aged ten, eight and five years, respectively, sons of Mrs. Bissell, who reside in Norwalk, Conn.
Mrs. Hershey, during her long residence in Muscatine, was known as a modest, unassuming lady, a sincere Christian-one who sympathies for the poor were ever manifested. She took but little interest in social matters but was devoted to her home and family. She was a faithful and consistent member of the Methodist church for many years, and those who came in closest contact with her appreciated her most. In the sphere in which she moved she was ever faithful, kind-hearted and always exhibited a truly Christian spirit, and her death causes a vacancy that will be hard to fill.
In August, 1893, her husband preceded her in death, dying in Chicago, and with her daughter, Miss Almira, she made her home at the old homestead.
The deceased was a public benefactor, having the past year given of her wealth freely to various institutions. It will be remembered that last fall she donated to the German Lutheran Society of this city the large brick structure with suitable grounds on the Hershey farm just below the city, estimated as being worth $20,000 to $25,000, for an orphans home, which kind deed will ever be fondly remembered by the orphans who will find a home there as soon as it is established. Recently she gave $10,000 to the Iowa Wesleyan University at Mr. Pleasant for the erection of a ladies’ dormitory, which is to bear her name and be known as the Elizabeth Hershey Hall, a full description of which appeared in the JOURNAL about one week ago.
The funeral will take place to-morrow (Wednesday) afternoon, from the fully residence, 1019 Hershey avenue, Rev. J.F. Robertson officiating.
Back to Book One, INDEX
Back to the Muscatine Co. IAGenWeb, Index Page