Muscatine County, Iowa

1863 - 1962

Transcribed by Lynn McCleary
Page 28
Interesting Items From The Newspapers And The Records

Picture: THE FIRST JUMP - "The big thrill came of the close of the last afternoon when Albert Ady demonstrated the ability of the Overland car to travel through space. The demonstration was intended to prove the stability of the springs on the car, which it did, in heaping measure though the front axle bent when Ady finally struck the track after clearing a 35-foot gap, tossing the car some 15 feet into the air. The crowd let go with a deep breath when the thing happened, but Albert crawled calmly from the crumpled car, with no worse damage than a slightly scratched chin.”
       From the Aug. 26, 1920 issue of the West Liberty Index

1872 ~ (Muscatine Journal) “Notice has been received of a special train on the B. C. R. & M. Railroad for the big day of the Fair at West Liberty. From Muscatine to West Liberty the fare is one and one-fifth the regular fare for the round trip. Quite a number of Muscatine folks plan to avail themselves of this privilege.”

*       *       *

1874 ~ West Liberty Park Association formed. Phineas Nichols, first president. “The object of the incorporation shall be to purchase, hold and improve a certain tract of land used by the Union District Agricultural Society.”

*       *       *

1875 ~ The U. D. A. Society offered to pay Park Association $10.00 more in rent if Association would provide an office, 14’ x 18’.

Brush, thorn and crabapple trees cleared from the gounds.

*       *       *

1876 ~ Fair office built. Stalls on the grounds were rented at $2.00 a month. A charge of 50c per month was asked for use of the track by horse trainers.

*       *       *

1878 ~ The Park Association put up 25 hitching posts, and posted notice prohibiting hitching to the trees on the grounds.

16th Annual Exhibition opened.

(Wapsie Index) “we were informed that Mrs. H. B. Osborn had on exhibition 90 varieties of preserved fruits and pickles, and Mrs. Hollister over 60 kinds.”

“Dr. E. H. King and Mrs. J. W. McElravey, superintendents of the new and interesting Children’s Department, were busy arranging the many exhibits.”

Ira Nichols, Thomas Gray, and W. C. Evans were appointed by the Park Association to take charge of improvement of the track.

The Park Association voted to loan the U.D.A. Society money at a rate of 10% per annum.

*       *       *

Page 29
Picture: Many Family Picincs are held each year at the Fairgrounds. The original poultry house in the background.

1880 ~ “The Children’s Department, graded to ages 8 and under to 18, continued to attract much attention. Premiums were donated by the business men and given for all varieties of handcraft from a doll’s dress and a square of patch-work to ax handles, bread, button holes, and whole garments".

"The Occidental Band created a sensation by appearing for the first time in their elegant and attractive uniforms. Members of the band include: Robert Clark, Grant Nichols, S.B. Windus, Joe Rogers, Will Chase, John Wiley, Et Chase, Joe Clark, Ned Houndslow, Thomas Franklin, and A. J. Westland.”

”Two beautiful organs were exhibited in the floral Hall by Mr. W. Hughes of Iowa City. Huge crowds were attracted, Mr. Hughes and his assistant, Mr. Wood, …

Page 30
Picture: 1918 West Liberty Fair parking lot showing visitor’s cars.

… united in their efforts to provide the visitors with all desirable information concerning their organs, and furnished popular music with was enjoyed by everybody.”

A 2:46 race, called at 2 o’clock with four horses, required 6 heats to decide the winner.

*       *       *

1882 ~ The Park Association leased the park grounds to the U. D. A. Society for a term of 5 years at an annual rental of $30.00.

*       *       *

1883 ~ Park Association ordered a 20% dividend paid to its stockholders.

List of trotters at the fair: Josephine, Canada Star, Maud T. Bay Simson, and Aaron Chief.

*       *       *

1884 ~ Total entries for exhibit numbered 984, as compared with 874 in 1883 and 814 in 1882.

Aaron Plumly entered 51 varieties of apples.

”Entries of buggy horses reached 20, and the superintendent announced from the Judges Stand that it was, no doubt, the largest and finest display of the kind ever made in the State of Iowa.”

”Some of the 1st money winners in the livestock department were: C. S. Barclay, Gad James, John Evans, Smith and Judd, W. B. Gregg, E. E. Harrison, G. W. Baldwin, Ira Nichols, Ed Webb, Geo. McFadden, S. G. Hogue, S. R. Propst, Fred Evans, Phineas Nichols, John L. Wilson, P. N. Gibson, C. P. Gibson, C. I. Luse, S. A. Barnes, W. F. See, L. O. Mosher, Pliny Nichols, Mercer Hall, B. L. Wood, and Samuel Kimberly.”

*       *       *

1885 ~ (Wapsie Index) “The secretary of the Fair has completed arrangements with the Railroads to secure reduced rates for persons attending this year’s Fair. The C. R. I. & P. will sell return tickets to pints between Davenport and Marengo to those attending the Fair of the Union District Agricultural Society for one-third fare. The B. C. r. & M. will sell round trip tickets from all points between Columbus City and Elmira to West Liberty at one and one-third fare.”

*       *       *

1885 ~ (West Liberty Enterprise) “The entries at the 23rd annual Fair dropped to 700. Most of the entries were fine livestock of various kinds produced in this area. A bad growing season made the fruit and farm produce shelves quite bare. It was a poor year for ‘garden sass and sich.’”

The Occidental band brought crowds of on-lookers to the amphitheater and grounds.

Page 31
Picture: A long time exhibitor at the West Liberty Fair, Stickney Gasoline Engines-Ditmars Kerr & Co.

There was a fine sewing machine display from Iowa City exhibited in the Floral Hall.

The W. C. T. U. had a tent on the grounds and served food, the proceeds to go to carry on the fight of “The Home against the Saloon.”

The B. C. R. & . and the C. R. I & P. Railroads brought in hundreds of people. Approaches to the grounds were thronged with teams and vehicles of every description.

*       *       *

1886 ~ There was a record attendance at the Fair despite rain on the last day. Horse races and carriage teams furnished attractions on the track.

*       *       *

1889 ~ The Park Association bought 2 acres of land from E. Fenstermaker. This ground was leased to the U. D. A. Society along with the rest of the grounds.

The Park Association voted to loan the U. D. A. Society $175.00, or whatever needed, for one year without interest.

Gate receipts on the 2nd day of the Fair totaled $910.75.

There were 2500 people on the grounds.

*       *       *

1890 ~ The first four-day Fair was held.

Secretary Geo. Shipman received word that the Railroads would again offer special rates to those attending the Fair. The C. R. I. & P. offers a round trip of one and one-third fare for 75 miles in each direction (east and west). The B. C. R. & M. offers the same rate for 50 miles in each direction (north and south).

*       *       *

1891 ~ The Park Association offered another 10 year lease to the U. D. A. Society, providing the Society pay $250.00 towards improving the track.

Page 32

(Wapsie Index) “Thirty years ago Moses Varney, John Painter, Moses Butler, General Ed Wright, and others met and decided to have a Fair in barn yards.”

”The biggest crowd of the Fair was 5000. The leading event that day was in the forenoon when there was a grand cavalcade of premium horses and cattle on the track, headed by the Ladies’ Cornet Band.”

”The chariot race by the little sons of Benjamin Fenstermaker, in which they used a two-wheeled cart of their own make – with a coffee gunny sack canopy over it, for a chariot, and two four month old colts, for ‘fiery untamed steeds,’ took first premium, a pony purse, and the Cake!”

There was a surprise race. Entries were Kimberly’s ‘Bezant,’ Albert Whitacre’s ‘Hattie H,’ and J. H. Dickerson’s ‘Bell Rouse.’ Bezant won. It was the second race he had trotted.”

”The West Liberty Enterprise will again issue a Fair Daily as it has nearly as it has nearly every year. The paper will be distributed among the patrons of the Fair each day and will give a record of the proceedings of the previous day and a program for the current one. Merchants of West Liberty will foot the bill.”

*       *       *

1892~ (Wapsie Index) “The Union district Agricultural Society was born 30 years ago in Springdale Township and has grown steadily ever since. It has never failed to pay a premium. The management has always strictly adhered to the policy of keeping gambling devices, beer and liquor booths, and all such hurtful accessions off the grounds, and while other fairs have gone down and up, up and down, this institution has been successful ALWAYS. MORAL: Be decent and you will be successful.”

*       *       *

1893 ~ The town asked the Park Association to move the fence along the east side of the grounds in order that Calhoun Street could extend on through to the Cemetery.

*       *       *

1894 ~ A baseball game between Columbus Junction and Atalissa was played for the Fair.

”C. H. Barnes’ antiquarian museum was an interesting and much visited place on the grounds. Where ‘Chet’ ever got his eight-legged pig and thousand and one other curiosities is a mystery to everyone. It must have taken a great deal of hunting.”

*       *       *

1895 ~ (Wapsie Index – Aug. 22) “The new interest in bicycling, manifested so strongly this season, was climaxed last Thursday on the track at the fairgrounds to witness the first bicycle race. The meeting was under the management of a syndicate of business men who contributed nearly all of the prizes. All business houses closed for the occasion. A pleasant feature of the day was the parade, headed by the band, and followed by about 60 bicyclists, both ladies and gentlemen, all of whom lived within a radius of 14 miles of West Liberty. The races were excellent, considering that with but few exceptions the riders were all unaccustomed to track riding. There were seven thrill packed races: The half-mile free-for-all, the boys’ mile, the championship mile, the novice mile, mile free-for-all, five mile, and consolation mile.

*       *       *

1896 ~ Fair dates -- Aug. 31, Sept. 1, 2, & 3

”$3000.00 were paid out in premiums, always paid in full. There was a fine livestock exhibit of horses, cattle, swine and poultry. There was also a fine display of agricultural products – produce of meadows, gardens, orchards and conservatories. The Floral Hall and Domestic Pavilion abounded in examples of women’s industry and handiwork. Fine drawings, paintings, crayons, engraving photographs, oil and water colors were hung in the Art Department. The Floral Department was a beautiful sight – with plants in and out of bloom, mosses, vines, fragrant bouquets, etc.”

*       *       *

1898 ~ Total entries for the 36th annual Fair were 1,655.

”A ½ mile relay foot race was an interesting feature on the track this year. Four six-man teams were entered, including teams for West Liberty, Wilton, Pike Township, and Springdale Township. The first man …

Page 33

… on each team carried a flag and ran one-sixth of a mile, then passed the flag to a waiting team-mate, and so on. Needless to say, West Liberty won.

*       *       *

1899 ~ For the first time at the Fair, a new “ride,” The Ocean Wave, was featured on the mid-way.

Another attraction at the Fair featured the “Diving Ponies.” A hole was filled with water. A pony was driven up an approach to an inclined plane where it was forced to the edge by the cracking of a whip in the hands of its owners. The poor little animal trembled violently, but there was no alternative – it must fall into the water below or feel the cruel lash of the whip. The crowd at the Fair didn’t approve of the exhibition of cruelty, so the tower was taken down and there were no more performances.

*       *       *

1900 ~ First annual picnic of the Nichols Family was held at the fairgrounds. (Held annually ever since.)

*       *       *

1901 ~ Carleton Myers was accidently carried aloft, feet first, in a balloon ascension at a 4th of July celebration on the fairgrounds. He managed to right himself and cling for his life while the balloon rose to a height of 1,500 feet, drifted 3 miles across country, and finally landed in a corn field near the county line northeast of town.

*       *       *

1906 ~ A Roadster Race was held at the Fair – a purely local affair. The entries were:

    Dolly – driven by C. R. Hutchinson
    Skidoo – driven by Robert Brooke
    Game Bird – driven by Dr. E. Ady
    Prince Levi – driven by Levi Pickering
    Baby Red – driven by C. w. Morris

The latter took the race in three straight heats; with Game Bird, 2nd, Skidoo, 3rd; and Prince Levi, 4th.

*       *       *

1910 ~ “Admission to the Fair remains unchanged, although all surrounding fairs have increased their rates. Admission is still two bits, or a quarter of a dollar.”

*       *       *

1912 ~ Golden Anniversary Year.

A large delegation of West Liberty boosters attended the Wilton Fair, not only to see the sights at Wilton, but to boost the 50th Anniversary of the W. L. Fair.

Among the many interesting exhibits at the Fair this year was a display from the Deere Implement Company, showing a span of 50 years in farm implements.

Entered in the harness races were the horses of Chet Kelly, Oscar Morris, Sullivan Bros., and E. Ady.

A parade of decorated cars was an interesting feature at the Fair.

*       *       *

Page 34
Picture: The 1962 West Liberty Fair President Vanghn Sander (right) and his buddy Louis Ruess at the Fair in 1908.

*       *       *

1913 ~ The Saddle horse Show was inaugurated, and was very well received.

The Boy’s Stock Judging Contest was a popular feature. Winners in the senior department were Leslie Steen, 1st; Wade Wolf, 2nd; in the junior department: Ralph Hillman, 1st; Guy Wright, 2nd.

In the past exhibitors of livestock had been charged rent for stalls and given passes for themselves and their employees. This year, stalls were free and exhibitors were required to purchase tickets for admission. This scheme was not generally popular with the exhibitors.

A free-for-all fight took place at the ball game between West Liberty and Wapello.

*       *       *

1914 ~ Attendance hit 12,000 and there were 1,000 cars on the grounds on the big day.

”The program started at noon with a base-ball game between Riverside and West Liberty. The speed of the locals, with Paul Anderson pitching, soon rendered the game uninteresting – West Liberty 15, Riverside 3.

Other features on the program were fine harness racing, music by the local band, and singing by the “Tennessee Warblers,’ a quartet of negro songsters.”

On two days of the Fair an historical pageant was presented under the direction of Amos Whitacre and Robert Brooke. The parade portrayed the various modes of travel – then and now.

Heading the parade were Indians astride ponies; next a prairie schooner drawn by oxen; then a troup of cow-boys; and an old stage coach which formerly plied its trade between Davenport and Iowa City was secured for the occasion. The coach was filled with lady passengers, dressed in the mode of the day when the coach was in its prime. Next in the parade was “Senator N,’ the veteran trotting sire, 33 years of age the oldest animal of its kind in the U.S. He stepped proudly down the track, hitched to an old style, high-wheeled sulky, and driven by is owner, Albert Whitacre. Then came various styles of more modern horse-drawn vehicles, form the farm carry-all and spring wagon to the fancy buggies and carriages; next came George Gates, attired in knickerbockers and riding an old penny-farthing type bicycle. At the end of the parade came the autos – from the antiquated to the modern.

A great deal of work went into the preparation for this pageant, but it was well received and enjoyed immensely by the crowds of fair-goers. On the last day of the Fair, the first parade of prize-winning livestock was held before the grandstand. This proved to be a very popular event. (It has since become a regular feature at every Fair).

The Miller Stock Company played at the Opera House every night during the Fair. John M. Miller, manager …

Page 35
Picture: Fair goers in the old Amphitheater.

… of the local theater, is also the manager of the Stock Company.

*       *       *

1915 ~ A new exposition hall was built on the site of the old Floral Hall at the north end of the grounds.

The J. M. Miller Stock Company is coming back to West Liberty for the usual Fair work engagement in the Wes Liberty for the most Fair week engagement in the theater. “Paid in Full” and “Roanoke” are two new plays to be seen.

Cedar Valley held a race meet.

A celebration was held on the completions of two miles of street paving in town. “The big feature was a free concert by the U.S. Marine Band, the greatest musical organization in the U.S. – if not the world, the President’s own band. There was free food for all.”

*       *       *

1916 ~ The Night Show was first inaugurated on Aug. 21, 22, 23, & 24.

Fair hits new attendance mark – 13,000 people, 1,500 cars on grounds on the big day.

The Night Show – a new venture - went over big.

High School horses were shown at the night show.

*       *       *

Page 36

1917 ~ Admission price to Fair was raised from 25c to 50c, with the privilege of remaining on the grounds for the night show.

Additional space was reserved on the north end of the grounds for parking cars.

Roasters went out in autos, covered with placards, to advertise the West Liberty Fair and Night Show. They visited communities from Mt. Vernon to Columbus Junction; from Riverside to Walcott. The men going were: Levi Pickering, Ed Priess, John Duncan, H. J. Smith, and George Gause. They met with a warm welcome whenever they went.

A boys’ Stock Judging Contest was held at the Fair.

J. W. Merrill, the County Agent, spent days on a trip through the country, gathering specimens to be exhibited at the Fair.

Boy’s Baby Beef 4-H work started. Eleven projects were completed.

*       *       *

1918 ~ War Year – but plans for the Fair were made, despite shortages of foodstuffs. Cakes and Brads were made of substitutes. The lesser premiums were paid in Thrift Stamps. The old-time lunch basket came back, there being no restaurants on the grounds. Due to sugar shortage, pop and lemonade were might scarce, and there was only a limited amount of ice cream.

4-H boys entered nine baby beef calves at the W. L. Fair. Adolph Rang’s Angus steer was the sweepstakes winner in Class I. Wayne Propst entered a calf in Class II.

The W. L. Fair offered $225 in prize money for the baby beef classes.

Free attractions afternoon and evening of the Fair.

Five big features, with a change every day.

*       *       *

1919 ~ Six boys of the 4-H Pig Club exhibited their animasl at the Fair. The swine pavilion was constructed by Ned Romaine.

*       *       *

1920 ~ The first Girls 4-H Club was organized – with 11 members. Their project was clothing.

Double cattle sheds were built on the grounds – Ned Romaine, contractor.

*       *       *

1922 ~ The race horse, Peter Friese, dropped dead in a race at the Fair.

*       *       *

1923 ~ Two bands were feature attractions at the Fair: The West Branch Young Ladies’ Band, and the 60 piece band from Wellman.

An open dance pavilion was built in the grove near the south end of the mid-way. The dances were well chaperoned.

*       *       *

1924 ~ P. E. O. operated a checking stand on the grounds.

A novelty automobile race was a feature attraction on the track. Only Fords could enter. Cars had to start from a dead engine, and at the end of each ½ mile they had to stop and start again from the crank.

Due to very heavy rains, the Fair was held over until Friday night.

A new sheep pavilion with 26 pens was constructed on the grounds.

*       *       *

1925 ~ The Park Association voted that: “The U. D. A. Society should have the right to rent the entire fairgounds with all privileges in addition to which they already have – for one year t $375.00.”

A Sunday feature of band concerts was started. The music was largely sacred members.

*       *       *

1926 ~ The Farm Bureau Day was held at the Fair.

*       *       *

1927 ~ The new entrance to the fairgrounds was completed.

A drinking fountain was installed near the Exposition Hall.

The fairgrounds was a popular tourist camp during the off season.

There were 325 cars, from many states, registered as having stayed on the grounds this year.

*       *       *

1928 ~ At a meeting in February the Fair Directors instructed a committee to tear down the old grand stand (built by Arthur Romaine and his son, Ned) and have a new Amphitheater ready for the Fair in August. H. A. John was the contractor for the new building.

”Heretofore, it has been quite a serious matter for one to figure out what to do with his feet when the amphitheater filled up. The new one will permit everyone to sit in comfort. The reserved seat section at the front …

Page 37
Picture: At the stables purebreds lined up for picture taking.
Picture: Shoeing a race horse at the Fair.
Picture: People in the stands, at the Fair, a long time ago.

Page 38

… of the stand is built fine and high so that occupants of these favored chairs may have an excellent view of the track and vaudeville platform.”

Music for the Fair was presented by four special organizations: Grant Nichols’ Band, West Liberty Junior High Band with Elmer Zeigler directing, the Rotary Boy’s Band of Muscatine, and the American Legion Drum corps from Tipton.

Gov. Hammill’s speech was a feature on the Farm Bureau program.

Herbert Hoover’s speech, delivered at his home town in West Branch, was picked up by radio at the Amphitheater.

The first “Queen of the Fair” contest, sponsored by the Muscatine Journal, was held. She was chosen by popular vote, crowned on the last day of the Fair, and accorded a place of honor at the head of a parade.

*       *       *

1929 ~ West Liberty business men will join the Muscatine Journal in sponsoring the “Queen of the Fair” contest this year. Coupons will be given with all cash purchases, as well as money paid on account.

The track record of 2:09, set by “Little Squaw,” was broken by “Purdue” with a time of 2:08 and three-fourths.

*       *       *

1930 ~ 60 new trees have been planted on the fairgrounds by volunteer workmen. This brings the total of trees on the grounds to 125.

A loud speaker system was purchased by the Fair Board. Two large amplifiers with heavy duty tubes were placed atop the Judges Stand and helped in giving announcements.

”Grant Nichols and his band were praised by the vaudeville performers, who have declared that his band plays the best accompaniment for their acts of any found on the entire circuit.”

A chorus of several hundred voices from the rural schools of the county sang under the direction of Phoebe Bingham.

The track pacing record was broken three times when “Hollywood Hunter” increased his speed each time in winning the event in straight heats. The first heat was won in 2:071/2; the second in 2:07; and the third 2:061/4.

A skating rink was built north of the Art Hall – skating in the afternoon, dancing in the evening.

A new feature was a kittenball game tournament played on the last day of the Fair.

The Farm Bureau women were represented in ten booths, where they competed for prizes.

*       *       *

1932 ~ Attendance on the big day hit between 10,000-12,000.

The race program of Wed. P.M. (big day) was the most outstanding in the Fair’s racing history – with every heat of the harness races stopped in less than 2:10.

*       *       *

1933 ~ A complete amplifying system was installed on the grounds.

*       *       *

1934 ~ A Baby Beef barn was built on the grounds in July.

*       *       *

1935 ~ The Business and Professional men of Muscatine sponsored a Saddle Horse Show which was an interesting part of each day’s entertainment.

*       *       *

1937 ~ ‘The Diamond Jubilee of the Fair was celebrated. There were fine attractions and fine crowds.

William “Dutch” Sullivan, a veteran of more than forty years of racing on the W. L. track, drove “Guy Dale” in the harness races.

The antiquated car, 1914 Model T. Ford, which has brought its owner to the W. L. Fair for many years, was here again this year. The owner, Fred Holloway of West branch, drove the vehicle in the parade.

Cash premiums of $1,495 – in addition to ribbons – were offered to exhibitors competing in the cattle divisions. There were five departments in the cattle division: Shorthorns, Herefords, or Polled Herefords, Holsteins, Jerseys, and Guernseys. A cash premium and a ribbon were awarded to six in each division.

The Goshen-Wapsie Farm Bureau Chorus and the Muscatine Farm Bureau Chorus presented separate and joint concert on the first day o ft the Fair.

George Gates, of Downey, who has served as superintendent of the Antique Department at the Fair for many years. Demonstrated his old-fashioned his old-fashioned bicycle before the grandstand.

*       *       *

1938 ~ The Centennial of the town of West Liberty was celebrated in June.

A new trotting record was set in a free-for-all trot at the Fair. The winner was “Royal Man’ whho did the mile in 2:07.

*       *       *

1939 ~ Trailers were permitted to rent spaces at the camp site on the fairgrounds for $1.00 a week.

*       *       *

1942 ~ Due to the war, the Board was undecided about having a fair. After some deliberation it was decided to go ahead. The attendance hit 10,000.

*       *       *

1945 ~ Bleachers were installed to provide 1600 more seatsfor patrons desiring to view the races and vaudeville acts.

*       *       *

1946 ~ An outstanding fire-works display was a feature of he last night of the Fair.

*       *       *

1947 ~ New Box seats were built in front of the Amphitheater. Five rows of permanemt concrete boxes, 170in all, were constructed. Each box accommodated 6 people, and sold at $50.00 for five years.

*       *       *

1949 ~ The Curtis Six-pony Hitch appeared on the program at each day of the Fair.

The “Dairy Queen” was crowned on the first night of the Fair.

*       *       *

Page 39
Picture: Waiting to buy tickets to the grandstand.
Picture: Water Fowl Exhibit
Picture: On the midway in the 1930’s.
Picture: Ticket sellers busy at the main gate.

Page 40

1951 ~ During the Car Thrill Show, one of the speeding cars went partially out of control and struck the fence south of the grandstand. In the surge of people back from the fence, Mrs. Arnold Mullink, Sr., was knocked to the ground and suffered a fractured hip.

Hub elder’s Square Dancers from Nichols were featured in a dancing and rope-jumping act on the platform.

*       *       *

1954 ~ The Fair was successful in spite of 6 in. of rain.

*       *       *

1958 ~ The West Liberty Silver Stirrup Saddle Club was a feature attraction.

The High School Band was presented in a concert.

The Queen of the Furrow Beauty Contest winner was crowned.

*       *       *

1960 ~ The track was re-graded for auto racing. Jalopy races replaced harness races as a feature attraction.

*       *       *

1961 ~ The Vanita Rich talent Show was a feature attraction on the first night of the Fair. (Sunday). This group is a branch of the Ted Mack Amateur Show. Talented young people from West Liberty, and surrounding area, competed for the coveted trip to New York City and national competition in the summer of 1962. West Liberty’s Darlene Walther, a soprano and a music major at the State University of Iowa, was the winner. It goes without saying that everybody in West Liberty is proud of Miss Walther, and wishes her well in New York.

*       *       *



    The officers and directors of the West Liberty Fair extend sincerre thanks to everyone in the Fair area who have so enthusiastically and energetically worked to make the Fair a growing organization over these many years.

    The support advertisers have given to the Fair during the past years and in particular their support of this Centennial History Book has been magnificent. It is support of this kind which has made possible the Centennial Fair after a very successful one hundred years. The Fair is proud of the fact that all premiums have been paid in full during this long span of years.

    We’ll see you at the Centennial West Liberty Fair August 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22, 1962.

            WEST LIBERTY FAIR.

Back to History of West Liberty Fair Table of Contents

Return to History Of ... Contents

Back to the Muscatine Co. IAGenWeb, Index Page

Page created February 10, 2019 by Lynn McCleary