|Muscatine County, Iowa|
Muscatine Journal & News-Tribune
31 May 1940
Section 5 - Page 7, Submitted by Mary M. Elizabeth, August 1, 2012
Jolly Club Entertains at Dinner
The Jolly club had a progressive dinner last night. This is probably not exactly the best way to commence a notice of that important event but what does the public expect of one who commencing with an enterprising and lively appetite sat for two hours and forty minutes at 10 different tables with a bewildering succession of the most temptingly appetizing triumphs of culinary skill and execution placed before him. One who did his best then, couldn’t be expected to do great things this morning. The Jolly Club has not been misnamed.
It is an organization of fourteen ladies, every one of whom possesses the qualifications for membership to an eminent degree. It has held weekly sessions for two seasons past at the homes of its members, and has crowded into each evening as much fun and jollity as would last an ordinary mortal about seven weeks. Having become such adepts at the business and securing such delightful quarters as the home of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Musser, for their dinner and reception to their gentlemen friends, it can be imagined that the event was an occasion which from inception to dissolution was a model of perfection. About half-past six o‘clock could be seen a company of twenty-one ladies in elegant and bewitching toilets and twenty-one gentlemen in their best habiliments in the parlors of the beautiful Water street home and at ten minutes to seven o’clock the guests sat down to ten tete-a-tete tables , partners having been secured as follows. Each gentleman was handed a gilded peanut which contained a name of a lady present, the peanut was tied with a colored ribbon corresponding with the color of the table to which he escorted and seated his lady. Partners and seats being found the dinner commenced. The tables were set for ten courses and at each were seated two ladies and two gentlemen. At the close of each course the gentlemen progressed to the next table carrying their napkin and glass (the ladies remaining). This was repeated ten times or until a complete circuit was made and all were again with their original partners. When this occurred the clock dial showed thirty minutes past nine. But how quickly time passed, how delicious and elegant everything tasted, how many witty and sparkling remarks and bright and entertaining sallies took place – only those who have passed through this or similar experiences can realize.
The tables were beautifully set with an abundance of elegant china and silver; at each plate was a magnificent rose, the service was par excellence itself and in fact there was not a clog to mar even in the slightest the symmetry of the evening. Eichoff’s orchestra discoursed its best music during the progress of the dinner and afterwards give all who felt equal to the task opportunity to indulge in terpsichorean diversions. A period of general conversation followed, then came a round of progression at the highly popular game of “cinch.” The minute hand of the clock had made almost a couple of whirls into the wee small hours before the company could nerve itself up to the regretful task of departure.
On the Menu
The dinner as served was as follows:
First course – Bullion, cigar-shaped crackers.
Second course – Mushroom patties.
Third course – Croquettes, French potatoes, sandwiches.
Fourth course – Hot tongue, French peas, coffee, olives, pickles, rolls.
Fifth course – Chicken salad on lettuce leaf, snowflake crackers.
Sixth course – Cream pie and cheese.
Seventh course – Fruit salad.
Eighth course – Lemon ice, cake.
Tenth course – Chocolate and wafers.
Eleventh course – Sweet violets. G. U. M.
The Guest List
Those present were Capt. and Mrs. C.F. Garlock, Mr. and Mrs. Will Mull, Mr. and Mrs. H.J. Fitzgerald, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Warfield, Mr. and Mrs. Will Dillaway.
Mrs. Gartside, (Davenport) Mrs. Ball, (Chicago) Mrs. J.A. Ryan, Mrs. Frank Jackson, Mrs. Bringman.
Misses Weyerhauser, Appolonia Weyerhause, Denkman, (Rock Island) Copeland, Hughes, Hutchinson, (Iowa City) Dow, Smalley, Parkins, Waide and Musser.
Messrs. N.H. Hine, W.D. Burk, R.S. McNutt, A.S. Kerr, Geo. Clapp, Chas, Reynolds, Theo Clark, E.C. Stocker, H.C. Ryan, T.H. Fitzgerald, E.M. Hoover, W.M. Parkins, J.S. Blackwell, W.S. Blackwell, Drew Musser and J. Lee Mahin.
No ladies except those visiting outside of the Jolly club were present and all its members were on hand except Miss Page, who was kept away by illness in the family. – April 17, 1890.
* * * * * * *
Married in 1854
Photo of James F. Schenck and Mrs. James F. Schenck
Hudson City, Muscatine county, was the setting for the wedding in 1854 of James F. Schenck and Maria Carr Bell. Mr. Schenck, born in Franklin, O., in 1829, came here in 1845 while his wife, born in Lexington, Ky., Jan. 25, 1837, arrived here the year of her marriage. Mr. Schenck lived until July 12, 1900. His wife succumbed 11 years later.
* * * * * * *
Tin Anniversary Party Inspiration
It was a pretty hot night to celebrate a tin wedding anniversary, but the 200 or more who assembled at Sunnyside did not seem to feel a bit uncomfortable, on the contrary, all were merry and happy. The occasion for the celebration were the unique invitations issued by Rev. and Mrs. S.E. Wilcox, the words “at home, Monday, July 14th at 8 p.m., Rev. and Mrs. S.E. Wilcox,” written upon square sheets of tin, it being the date of their tenth anniversary of married life. The cheerful home was brilliantly illuminated last night, the lawn and porches being well brightened with Chinese lanterns. As the guests arrived they passed beneath a handsome foliage of flowers in which was worked “1880 and 1890” In white flowers and were received within by the bride and bridegroom of 10 years ago, and each guest grasping the hand of this popular couple expressed the wish that they not only might live to celebrate their silver but also their golden wedding. After thus exchanging greetings and congratulations each one wandered without, to enjoy what breeze might be found stirring and indulged in conversation and a good time until refreshments were announced. Upon the left breast of each partaker of delicious viands was pinned a round tin souvenir, and as rapidly as one party was served another relay would follow and be provided for, and this occupied the attention of nearly all until 10:30.
Rev. and Mrs. Wilcox were voted delightful entertainers and before departing many useful and ornamental tokens of esteem were left. The party returned to their various homes earlier than they otherwise would on account of the threatening clouds. It was a pleasant affair and will long be remembered by those present. – July 15, 1890.
* * * * * * *
Return to Centennial Table of Contents Page
Back to the Muscatine Co. IAGenWeb, Index Page
Page created August 4, 2012 by Lynn McCleary